Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you eat with your bare hands?

My mother taught me to never eat with bare hands. I eat pizza and fried chicken with a knife and fork. A friend once told me it was embarrassing that I cut the meat off bbq ribs. I will not condone savagery.

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 5:01 PM

Then you should also use a knife and a fork to shove a cock into your pie hole, OP. Bare hands are savagery!

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 8:39 PM

Ok prissy pants. Pizza, fried chicken and ribs are some of the foods that are acceptable to eat with your hands. I'd love to see you at a crawfish boil.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 8:42 PM

The best way to eat your food is like an alligator. Don’t use your hands, lean over your plate and grab a big hunk of something, and rare back with the food straight up and then open your mouth wide and let it fall in. Remember! No hands!

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 8:50 PM

Of course I eat chicken, pizza, fries, burgers, and candy with my bare hands

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 8:52 PM

Don’t go to India, OP. You won’t see a fork or knife your entire time there.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 8:52 PM

God I would pay to watch you eat potato chips.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 8:54 PM

R5

Not just India. Africans eat with their hands as do many Central Asians. Eating with utensils is a relatively recent phenomenon and is not universal.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 8:55 PM

I am a bit of a Mr. Pitt, not Snicker's bars exactly, but usually at least part of a pizza (the nature of the crust has much to do with this); fried chicken I will attack with a fork a knife (I don't eat the legs and wings and nasty sinewy bits anyway.) Ribs I don't like and avoid; if I'm served them at dinner I eat them with a.fork and knife.

I don't like bones and like them even less on my plate. Take care of that in the kitchen, please. I just don't order things that arrive on a plate with bone attached.

Shrimp and langostinos and other shellfish, I don't mind eating with my hands where that is customary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 8:56 PM

I prefer eating with my hands. I almost always eat the vegies off my plate with my fingers, except for little things like peas or corn. I knew a guy who always used a knife and fork. He even cut pickles with a knife and ate them with a fork! Fucking pickles!

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 8:57 PM

I'm with you, OP and have also been made fun of. I do eat some things like ribs with my hands if I'm at home but not at a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 8:58 PM

I was working in Barcelona and decided to stop in at a KFC for lunch. I got my food, brought it to a table, sat down and was just about to grab a leg and chew on it. I looked around the room and saw everyone was using forks and knives. I decided to do the same to not call attention to the savage American.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 9:07 PM

I don't usually do things that are socially inappropriate, so I eat food that is normally eaten by hand...ribs, pizza, fried chicken, corn on the cob...with my hands. I would be embarrassed to eat with you, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 9:11 PM

[quote]My mother taught me to never eat with bare hands

Then, your mother taught you a decidedly middle class notion of what higher class manners are.

One should always select the mode that is most appropriate to both the dish and setting. That said, one does not order or get served certain foods in certain settings. No one eats canapes served at a cocktail party with a fork and knife.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 9:15 PM

You're not coming to my crawfish boil, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 9:16 PM

Asparagus should be eaten with the hands.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 9:19 PM

It had nothing to with high class manners. She was disgusted by people getting food on their hands and face. As a small child I got a spanking for eating a Cadbury egg that was given to me at church.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2020 9:20 PM

Your mother was abusive.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2020 9:22 PM

You're mother should be horsewhipped.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote]She was disgusted by people getting food on their hands and face.

Well, what sort of people get food all over their faces while eating? As for hands, that is, in fact, the purpose of napkins. Now, if we're talking covered in food or dripping with grease and sauces, that's a whole separate issue.

Your mother is a bit bit "quirky."

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2020 9:25 PM

For those of us with extensive dental work such as veneers, crowns, implants, etc., it's a no-brainer to eat smaller portions of everything with a knife & fork.

I usually don't eat things like ribs, anyway, so it's more of a protection of my investment than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2020 9:29 PM

[quote] Do you eat with your bare hands?

I eat with my mouth. I find otherwise it's too difficult to swallow the food

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2020 9:41 PM

OP, you've never lived until you go to the eastern shore of Maryland to a crab shack and they dump a pile of steamed crabs out on the newspaper lined table.

And I miss those little pony beers too!

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2020 9:44 PM

^^^oooooh. Those are tasty.

You have to find one that locals go to, not arrivistes from DC or tourists.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2020 9:51 PM

R23 I grew up there, so I used to know all the good places to go. The fun thing about a crab shack is that it's like a three hour meal, so if you're with the right people it can be a blast.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2020 9:53 PM

R5 - to be fair, they use naan as a utensil

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2020 10:02 PM

You must be the life of the party on Taco Tuesdays

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2020 10:03 PM

[quote] My mother taught me to never eat with bare hands

Well, you're a big boy now. Some things are meant to be eaten with your hands. Like, how do you eat a taco with a knife and fork?

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 12:37 AM

You break it up with a fork to make taco salad.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 4:47 AM

I have a 2 inch scar on the side of my face caused my my mother slapping me for eating fried chicken with my hands. The ring she was wearing scraped my face rather deeply.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2020 4:51 AM

Li'l Miss Prisspot. What a dumb thread.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2020 5:27 AM

I eat very few things with my hands. Though, like OP, I eat chicken and pizza with a knife and fork. Yes, I've been to a boil and it was difficult for me. Was also invited out to eat at a restaurant where you used a piece of bread to scoop up your food. I'll never return.

I wonder why our family was rarely sick with colds or the flu.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2020 6:16 AM

Being Czech born, I have gone out on dates with loads of American men and what has surprised me was not the eating with the hands in terms of pizza or tacos, but the licking of the fingers after...and these were educated, white collar men. Not surprised everyone here is always on antibiotics...didn't anyone tell them what lives under fingernails no matter how much they wash? Just a total deal breaker...you aren't getting your mouth near me after that.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 6:44 AM

I’m guilty of eating pizza with a knife & fork solely because I hate taking a bite and dragging all the toppings off. For chicken wings and other shit like that, I use my hands. I do always wash my hands though before preparing or eating food. That’s as prissy as I get

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 6:50 AM

What’s going on here ? She’s eating a cookie with a knife and fork . He’s cutting his snickers bar into sections . Elaine looks around the diner and stands:

“Have you all gone mad ??? Why is everyone doing this?”

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 7:20 AM

OP it sounds like your mother may have had a form of OCD or some other neurosis going on.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 8:00 AM

What do you suppose your pets think of humans? They eat their food out of bowls and we sit at a table with cutlery. I'll bet they laugh their asses off when they get together. They've got to think humans are absolutely endearing, but stupid.

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2020 11:18 AM

Emily Post said it’s perfectly fine to pick up and eat asparagus with your fingers (“bunched fingertips”). Fried chicken, too, IIRC.

Depending on the food served, a formal place setting will offer finger bowls. Don’t mistake them for a cocktail, heathens!

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2020 12:31 PM

R13 FTW

One of the most fascinating things I've learned on DL is how many working class gay men cling to absurd interpretations of what they perceive to be "high class" manners as a way of setting themselves apart from their peers.

You don't need to be Freud to understand the origins--a defense mechanism against people who looked down on them for being gay, it allowed them to feel "superior" in some small sense.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 12:37 PM

R38 - that is of course why upper class hetero women love gay men even though we know they don't want us.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2020 1:27 PM

OP, did your mother also hit you?

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote] what has surprised me was not the eating with the hands in terms of pizza or tacos, but the licking of the fingers after

You're supposed to, it's finger-lickin' good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2020 3:19 PM

Damn, OP, you know who else eats pizza with a fork?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2020 3:29 PM

OP, maybe this will help with some of the more challenging foods. I agree that using a fork and knife is best for pizza, it makes it easier to dip it in ranch dressing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2020 3:31 PM

I should have posted this one, they address eating ethnic foods, specifically pizza. They imply that either way is fine, depending on who you’re dining with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2020 3:38 PM

I eat with bear hands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2020 5:02 PM

I went to a fancy restaurant in Sonoma and we ordered a Cesar salad. The romaine leaves were small but whole. The menu said it was to pick up and eat with your hands. I was very happy because it was something I always felt like doing.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2020 7:23 PM

R41 - hell you aren't even eating my ass after you sucked those nails

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 5:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!