Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things You Were Wrong About

I used to think that there was a direct correlation between oppressive regimes and awesome underground art scenes and the amazing works that were borne from them.

That’s clearly not the case.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2020 8:23 PM

I thought I lived in a democracy.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 1:45 AM

I know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 1:47 AM

I thought I could fit into that parking space.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 1:48 AM

What r1 said

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 1:53 AM

I thought Nikki Minaj would fade after like 3 years. I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 1:57 AM

I thought my schools tuition wouldn’t increase 5K a year

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 2:07 AM

I used to think that vitamins and other diet supplements had to be FDA-approved, and that pasteurized juice and milk sold in stores contain natural vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 2:09 AM

I thought we’d be able to survive the trump administration

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 2:16 AM

The spelling of "Wednesday".

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 4:31 AM

Much of left wing ideology.

Turns out my parents weren't completely wrong...

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 5:44 AM

I was an idealistic child of the sixties. It truly seemed as if things were changing and we were going to enter a new Golden Age. In some very important ways, things have changed for the better, eg the rights of minorities and the vulnerable, including women, children, blacks, the disabled, and of course gays. It never occurred to me that in 50 years, things could go so far backwards in other ways, so that now it feels like we have returned to the Dark Ages - terrorism, mass shootings, stabbings, acid attacks, self-interest, selfishness....

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 5:53 AM

That “Forrest Gump” would go down in history as one of the worst films with a mega-budget ever made, ending up on the midnight circuit with audiences mocking the dialogue and yelling obscenities at the characters. Ditto for “Titanic.”

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 6:03 AM

That there was an inherent point to existence, rather than the fact the universe is simply chaos.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 12:14 PM

I was wrong about my extended family growing up thinking they were decent people. I just realize I had nothing to compare them to as I had not experienced anything else. As I slowly became an adult, I realized they weren't just uneducated rural bumpkins, they were bad people.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 12:18 PM

To go along with r12,

I, too, thought Titanic was going to be an epic failure. I remember reading somewhere during filming that it was way over budget and the studio was thinking of pulling the plug and silently laughing to myself.

My thinking was everybody knows how the story ends, the ship sinks; there’s already been at least three movies made about it; and nobody cares anymore. If it was the 1980s when they located it, maybe, but not now.

I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 1:16 PM

That world events like a Depression, world war or a pandemic were relegated to the past and would never occur again.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 9:06 AM

I thought electronic voting machines would be more secure than paper and would lead to less election fraud. I was so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2020 9:16 AM

The whole world was wrong about me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2020 10:02 AM

I was a gay Republican when Bloomberg was mayor of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2020 10:40 AM

I thought that fat, midget Kim Jong Un really was dead.

I thought John Edwards was a decent guy (for a politician) and would be one of our greatest Democratic presidents.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 11:38 AM

I'm embarrassed that I supported Jesse Jackson for President in 1988. I was 30 year old

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 11:48 AM

Everytime I judged anyone I regret, judging is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 11:54 AM

Thinking “it won’t happen to me”

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 12:11 PM

That higher education was synonymous with intelligence, common sense, perspective and discernment.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 12:12 PM

R18 And to think that Vaclav Havel refused a 1991 nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize and proposed her for the honour instead.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 3:45 PM

That Iron Eyes Cody was Native American.

That Bill Cosby was the ideal father.

That oil labeled as “olive” was 100% olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2020 3:53 PM

That we had learned lessons about totalitarian, fascist-like leaders. It's a thing again in many countries around the world - US, UK, Brazil, Phillipines, Hungary, etc.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 4:00 PM

That it was a fine idea to torpedo American manufacturing and transfer it all to China, thus creating a new Chinese affluent class and a rust belt in the US.

That it was a great idea to become economically dependent on China, a country notorious for barbaric practices and negligible hygiene.

Actually, I didn't have these thoughts at all.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] It never occurred to me that in 50 years, things could go so far backwards in other ways, so that now it feels like we have returned to the Dark Ages - terrorism, mass shootings, stabbings, acid attacks, self-interest, selfishness....

It's strange. Like you said, we have more freedom and rights than 60 years ago but something has been lost. I do think that we Americans as a whole have lost our sense of morality. I'm not talking about morality in the "moral majority" sense. I think the breakdown in trust of the government, the social liberation that took off in the 60s (both good and bad), the moral majority and the "greed is good" mentality of the 80s all have a part to play in that. Most Americans seem to be well aware of this though.68% of Americans feel we are selfish, with 28% thinking that selfishness describes Americans "very well"! Maybe the millennial generation will be the one to lead reform in our institutions and make our society less selfish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2020 4:06 PM

Dat eye woold be rich if I marry fat orange retard.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2020 4:07 PM

[quote] That it was a fine idea to torpedo American manufacturing and transfer it all to China, thus creating a new Chinese affluent class and a rust belt in the US.

American manufacturing in it's former state was bound to go away anyway. Manufacturing is more profitable now that in the past, actually. First, it shifted to the sunbelt and then to China. Even China is too expensive for some manufacturers and many jobs have shifted to places like Vietnam which are much cheaper. What America needs is more advanced manufacturing/advanced industry jobs. We lag behind many European countries in this regard. Part of the problem is a comparatively lower amount of R&D.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2020 4:08 PM

I thought all uncut meat was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 4:10 PM

I thought I wanted a career. Instead I just wanted a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 4:10 PM

That gay marriage would never happen in America.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 4:14 PM

That the American people would have more sense than to elect a con man with weird orange skin and fucked up hair President.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 4:16 PM

That Russia would become (almost) as big of a threat as it was in the Cold War era.

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2020 4:23 PM

I thought Madonna would age gracefully.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2020 4:32 PM

I didn’t think Trumpism was contagious.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 4:34 PM

R32 why the change? Did your foreskin grow back?

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2020 4:42 PM

That human brains would evolve along with technology.

That the “average” person is competent and responsible enough to drive a motor vehicle, handle a firearm, and manage their finances.

That having an IQ of100 meant more than just being able to eat, sleep, and fuck without accidentally killing ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote] American manufacturing in it's former state was bound to go away anyway.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2020 7:54 PM

I just assumed life in the 21st century would be pretty much as shown on The Jetsons...

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2020 8:06 PM

Whaddaya mean, r42? No black people?

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2020 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!