Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Now Streaming: New Vic's "A Streetcar Named Desire"

Starring Ben Foster and (DL Fave?) Gillian Anderson. Full version is on Youtube for #NationalTheatreatHome.

I'm 10 minutes in; looks...interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2020 6:27 AM

The voice Anderson uses in this is SO grating.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2020 11:34 PM

It's a horrible production in every way. Someone gave me a copy of it on DVD a few years ago, I started to watch it but couldn't get more than a few scenes in, and I literally threw out the disc because I couldn't even imagine giving it to anyone else who would like it. Probably not the fault of the cast, but the director and designers.

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2020 11:41 PM

She's starting at 10 on the hysterical scale (10 being the most hysterical). You have to build up to that kind of hysteria.

Too many people who do Tennessee Williams plays just screech. He himself said the 1950 movie version was "too loud".

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2020 11:42 PM

100% agreed, R1. I saw the original cinema broadcast and I was disappointed. I say that as a BIG fan of Gillian's TV and film work. The lack of modulation in her tone was, as you said, grating. So shrill. I think with the right director (and vocal coach) there could have been a good performance in there. As recorded, it was a failure.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2020 11:42 PM

Hang on, there's a YOUNG Vic? Man, and I wasted so much time at the Old one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2020 11:46 PM

This is one of my favorite plays of all time and I love every version of it, but you're right Gillian does start this thing all wound up. Blanche should be more of a slow build.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2020 11:51 PM

[quote]Hang on, there's a YOUNG Vic? Man, and I wasted so much time at the Old one.

I guess the Young Vic is the NYC Opera to the Old Vic's Met?

I thought the idea was that Blanche was supposed to be somewhat genteel, so why is Anderson playing her as stumbling-drunk trailer trash?

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 12:33 AM

I think she's great. She 100% reminds me of my partner's sister. (Yes, she is really that exhausting.) I think Williams underestimated his own hysterical material if he thought this should be played smaller. It's practically American Kabuki.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote]I think Williams underestimated his own hysterical material if he thought this should be played smaller. It's practically American Kabuki.

No, it isn't, you have no idea what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote]This is one of my favorite plays of all time and I love every version of it, but you're right Gillian does start this thing all wound up. Blanche should be more of a slow build.

Agree, will check this out. Blanche is usually shown as a slow descent into madness; she does try to ensnare a beau and better her situation until Stanley destroys her out of spite. With her chances ruined, she retreats into fantasy. Stanley then performs the coup de grâce.

I think Blanche is already crazy when she arrives at the apt, but she still has enough self-control to keep it in check. It seems Anderson neglected this aspect of her character.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 12:56 AM

When I was 8-yrs. old my aunt showed-up out front in a small camper with her three adolescent kids. She'd just been through a divorce (which involved her being institutionalized for a brief time). My father was a Donald Trump-type (the lower middle class version) and he was not happy and it was awkward. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Late one night someone decided we should get some ice cream, so my aunt took us in the now-unattached car to go looking for some. There was nothing still open in our hick town so we went 6 mi. to the next town over. While proceeding through a green light, a car with no lights on came out of nowhere, ran the red light and broadsided us. The car was somewhat damaged and we were all shaken up and crying. I don't even remember how we got back home.

They left a few days afterwards, my father grumbling and swearing (your goofy sister!). I remember this when I watch ASND.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 1:17 AM

I usually love Anderson but I hate her interpretation of Blanche.

Love Vivien's and Jessica's and like Ann-Margaret's

That accent of Anderson is just........no

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 1:43 AM

The Brits give too many good roles to Anderson. She's nothing special.

She thinks it's better to be "a big fish in a small pond' rather than an ageing minnow in her homeland.

(It's like Spacey being given control of the Old Vic. . . . And I think another American or his boyfriend was given control of the English Stage Company or the London Ballet or something.)

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 1:56 AM

I like Anderson's interp of Blanche in this but she IS overpowering the other actors

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 2:02 AM

"That accent of Anderson is just........no"

To me it sounds just like the one Vivien Leigh used

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 3:54 AM

Vanessa Kirby's accent is shaky

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2020 3:56 AM

Ben Foster is good

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2020 4:36 AM

bumping

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 5:26 PM

Makes you appreciate what Leigh did with the role. Handling all that dialog and making it sound nuanced, conversational and authentic.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2020 1:54 AM

I thought Anderson did a fine job with a very challenging role. I was less impressed with Foster and Kirby—I’ve seen them do better work before.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2020 1:57 AM

I’d like to see the Cat on a Hot Tin Roof nudie fest again.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote]I thought Anderson did a fine job with a very challenging role.

If you think Blanche should be played as a second-rate country singer on a bender, then - yeah - Anderson did a fine job.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2020 6:13 AM

In "Summer and Smoke" Geraldine Page started at 11 on the hysterical scale.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2020 6:17 AM

Newbie here. I thought DL didn't like Gillian Anderson. Good for OP for praising the work of an unpopular actress.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2020 6:20 AM

R21 It is up over on the theater thread.

This production is a travesty. And why play Stanley all 'cultured'?

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2020 6:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!