Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lana Del Rey gets backlash for dragging Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Doja Cat, Ariana Grande etc.

Lana Del Rey shared some harsh assessments of her pop peers Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande — and many others — Thursday in a smack-talking Instagram post.

The “Young and Beautiful” singer, 34, originally took to Insta to respond to accusations that her music romanticizes abusive relationships.

The newly single Del Rey wrote, “I’m fed up with female writers and alt singers saying that I glamorize abuse when I’m just a glamorous person singing about the realities of what we are all seeing are now very prevalent emotionally abusive relationships all over the world.”

She continued — by throwing a few fellow female pop stars under the bus, too.

“Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, f - - king, cheating, etc — can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money — or whatever I want — without being crucified or saying that I’m glamorizing abuse?”

At the same time, she also announced that her new album is due Sept. 5, and on it she will explore these sensitive subjects further.

Meanwhile, she’s getting dragged on social media. Twitter critics are questioning why she would compare the content of her music to that of a slew of mostly African-American female artists.

Another follower tweeted, “Beyoncé was threatened to get lynched because she dared to sing about police brutality, Ariana got death threats for the death of her boyfriend that she had no control over. Kehlani got death + rape threats for a breakup song. All the women Lana mentioned have been through hell.”

“Lana could’ve made her point without name dropping the successful women she did,” added another. “She did not have to compare her music to theirs. Let’s be real here, every artist she named gets mad backlash for the music they make. Lana’s whole post just seemed really bitter and ignorant to me.”

One detractor on Twitter asked why artists such as Billie Eilish or Lady Gaga were left out of Del Rey’s hot take: “She aimed her question to ‘the culture’ and then proceeded to name black women specifically (and Ariana/Camila) who make R&B, Hip Hop and Urban music. Why is that? Why not Taylor? Billie? Adele? Gaga? Katy? Dua?… Why specifically the ‘urban’ girls?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2020 12:21 AM

Fake outrage!

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2020 8:48 PM

I like her but I agree that it seems weird that she targeted many of the black artists or urban music artists.

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2020 8:50 PM

To the person who tweeted why she didn’t go after Taylor, Gaga, Dua, or Billie, they don’t really write what I would call “sexy” music. Billie is still a kid. A lot of the successful “sexier” music at the moment is being sung by WOC.

I can sort of see where Lana is coming from, but she she should not have named names.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2020 8:53 PM

But I do want to add, Lana’s song “Cola” is about Harvey Weinstein, so....

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2020 8:56 PM

I agree, that was a stupid thing for her to post. Especially following on the heels of such a critically acclaimed album. If you'd told me early last year that Lana Del Rey would release one of the best albums of the year, I would have laughed. But, she came through.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2020 8:58 PM

The singers Lana mentioned are basically glorified strippers.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2020 9:08 PM

That reminds me of that bitch that had a lot to say about Nikki Minaj the other day in the press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2020 9:11 PM

Beyoncé should not be mentioned in the same sentence with the others. She is an icon on the level with the greats.

Why didn't Lana mention Madonna and Britney? They came before any of the others.

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2020 9:14 PM

Of course. Now Lana Del Rey will be accused of racism.

She was probably bringing up artists she likes. She was in a video with Ariana Grande.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2020 9:15 PM

R8 I think she was mentioning current artists. It’s been a while since Britney has released new music

R9 One of my favorite music videos of all time!

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2020 9:16 PM

I mean just look how racist she is.

And she had a falling out with Azalea Banks her ex-friend. Azalea is bipolar and goes off the rails but noguys, it was all racism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2020 9:18 PM

[quote] Beyoncé should not be mentioned in the same sentence with the others. She is an icon on the level with the greats.

Not really.

[quote] Why didn't Lana mention Madonna and Britney?

Madonna is one of the greats. Therefore, she should not be mentioned with these "others".

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2020 9:19 PM

Madonna and Britney are both old and i.r.r.e.l.e.v.a.n.t.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2020 9:23 PM

Lana likes playing damsel in distress, need a man to save her roles.

She liked having sex with Harvey Weinstein but didn't know he assaulted other women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2020 9:28 PM

It would do her no good to bring up Madonna or Britney or even Xtina because she's speaking about the current climate on how everything is "problematic" as if everything an artist releases has to be palatable to everyone's tastes.

I didn't realize LDR was criticized for her music as I assumed her appeal was that she came across as a coked up 60s starlet.

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2020 9:33 PM

Lana was torn apart by many when her first album came, especially after many felt she struggled during her SNL performance

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2020 9:59 PM

Her SNL performance only made her more famous. Her SNL appearance wasn't even that bad, nothing compared to Ashley Simpson's "performance" at least. I like Lana but it was pointless to make this post. But I will always love her for destroying Azealia Banks online and threatening to beat her ass. For that, she deserves a medal.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2020 10:01 PM

She’s a fucking whore bitch skank!!!

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2020 10:02 PM

I remember a lot of people thinking her songs were unfeminist, singing about stripping, sleeping with older men for money, let me put on a show for you daddy, you’re the boss, i’m your baby, etc

Also I know a lot of people thought she was appropriating Latina culture. I know in some of her videos she was wearing chola make up

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2020 10:03 PM

I hate her more hip-hop sounding songs but really like the other stuff. It's weird how she seems to switch between hip hop and artsier singer-songwriter stuff. Ride is possibly her best song.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2020 10:04 PM

I love Ride so much. But my favorite of hers is National Anthem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 10:07 PM

OP has a history of posting things about white women he hates. All of his threads are race baiting.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 10:07 PM

Copfucker!

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 10:07 PM

R22 weird, because OP never made it a race thing. He posted an article, he didn’t write the article.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 10:10 PM

R21, Video Games and Blue Jeans are also great songs from her debut.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 10:16 PM

And like clockwork, Roxane Gay preaches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2020 10:22 PM

Typical Roxanne, voicing her irrelevant opinion.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2020 10:25 PM

Her face looks like playdoh.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2020 10:28 PM

r27 Roxanne Gay doesn't realize that Ariana Grande is a woman of "spray-on" color. Dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2020 10:29 PM

R29, right? And does Camilla really count as a woman of color? I don't think so. She's a white Latina.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2020 10:31 PM

No talent try hard overpraised plastic looking wonky faced priviledged suburban white girl victim with vocal fry voice complaining about the 2 critics who panned her because she enjoyed sucking harvey’s dick so that she can get ahead

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2020 10:43 PM

R31 = illiterate LSA refugee. Did you get banned?

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2020 11:32 PM

I never would associate Lana and vocal fry together.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2020 11:37 PM

She got a lot of shit for her music when she first came out, then Taylor Swift ripped off one of her songs for Wildest Dreams and won tons of praise and Grammys for it. She had a great album last year and was finally up for an album of the year but they gave it to whisperer Billie Eilish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2020 11:42 PM

Well, she shouldn't have been shady to these artists if she didn't want to lambasted by their fans. It's common sense.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2020 11:45 PM

I forgot who it was, but they said the biggest rule in showbiz is to never speak negatively about someone else in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2020 12:10 AM

She targeted popular artists.

People like Taylor S aren't worth a thought.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2020 12:19 AM

Beyoncé is a music icon and the most relevant pop star to anyone under forty today.

She is also a successful, critically acclaimed, award winning actress.

She belongs alongside the greats. Not among the fifteen minutes of fame pop tarts.

It called showing respect.

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2020 12:20 AM

[quote] award winning actress.

Ok then.

[quote] the most relevant pop star to anyone under forty today.

That's a hard NO. I don't like Drake, Ed Sheeran or Justin Bieber but they are all more relevant to younger people than she is. Same with Rihanna (who I actually do like).

by Anonymousreply 39May 22, 2020 12:23 AM

Norman Fucking Rockwell! is a masterpiece. Everyone who is hurt by her comments is just salty that she dropped a truth bomb. And it has nothing to do with race, that's just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 40May 22, 2020 12:28 AM

R39 Actress? I like Beyoncé, but come on, she doesn’t do sit down interviews because speaking is not her strong suit. I thought it was awful how Beyoncé’s mother handled Jennifer Hudson’s Oscar nom/win. Did she really think that should have been Beyoncé’s award?

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2020 12:29 AM

I don’t get why she mentioned Camila, they were friends and other than the song with Shawn she doesn’t sing about sex.

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2020 12:29 AM

Beyoncé has credentials:

Won a Peabody Award for the Lemonade movie.

SAG award nominee for Dreamgirls

Nominated for 8 Primetime Emmy Awards

Golden Globe Nominee for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy for Dreamgirls

IDA Documentary award winner for HomeComing

Won two MTV Movie Awards

Three time NAACP Image Award nominee for Best Actress

National Film and TV Award Winner for Best Performance in an Animated Movie for The Lion King

Won the Nickoledeon Kids Choice Award for Favorite Female Voice in an Animated Movie The Lion King

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2020 12:34 AM

It's stupid of her to mention any of these women. None of them, and most of their fans, are responsible for her lack of success.

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote]Beyonce has gone through hell!

Well, waking up next to Jay-Z five times a year would be traumatic.

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2020 12:42 AM

Lana doesn’t make mainstream media/radio music. Idk what she is mad about.

by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote]Beyoncé is a music icon and the most relevant pop star to anyone under forty today.

R38 how can she be the most relevant pop star today when her last solo #1 on billboard was Single Ladies back in 2008 (I'm not counting the remix of Perfect she did with Ed Sheeran because that was his song and she just jumped on it to boost the sales) and her last three albums (Everything is Love, Homecoming, and The Gift) didn't get to #1 either. She's definitely talented and iconic but she's past her prime and not making chart topping hits that appeal to the public as a whole anymore. Like r39 said, Drake and Post Malone and even Ariana/Adele/Taylor are the most relevant to the under 40 crowd CURRENTLY.

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2020 12:55 AM

Lana thinks she's special. ALL of these women face a lot of criticism as well.

by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2020 1:03 AM

Maybe her new album will explore the topic of dating douchey, Trumptard cops?

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2020 1:09 AM

Camila is adjacent. She is light skinned. Big deal. Her face isn’t a white girls face.

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2020 1:11 AM

That 'Norman Rockwell' album only had a couple almost-good songs. She'd better do better next time.

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote] Her face isn’t a white girls face.

Disagree--she could pass as southern Italian, I think.

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] Beyoncé is a music icon and the most relevant pop star to anyone under forty today. She is also a successful, critically acclaimed, award winning actress.

Do Razzies count?

To the Under 40 crowd? Eh. To the Under 30? She might as well be grandma.

by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2020 1:31 AM

Ariana Grande is 100% Italian American; now she’s considered “a woman of color” in the same way that Nikki Minaj is?

I mean I know that Italians as “people of color” is a controversial subject on the DL, but is Grande considered the same as a black or Hispanic singer that people are supposed to be “outraged” over when Lana mentions her music?

by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2020 1:41 AM

Is she cockeyed? Cockeyed!! COCKEYED!!! COCKEYED!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2020 1:48 AM

Italians aren’t WASPs so... lower than whites.

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote] She is an icon on the level with the greats.

Beyoncé is only an icon in your mind.

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2020 2:20 AM

Beyoncé is a huge star

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2020 2:22 AM

I don’t like her but she’s right

by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2020 2:44 AM

[quote]Meanwhile, she’s getting dragged on social media. Twitter critics are questioning why she would compare the content of her music to that of a slew of mostly African-American female artists.

I only popped into this thread because of the title, I'm no big Lana fan. I am tired of this nonsense where every non-white person is somehow lumped in with black people for maximum outrage. The only black people mentioned by Lana are Minaj and Beyonce. Doja Cat, Cardi B and Kehlani are biracial/mixed race. Ariana and Camila are white (Latino is not a race). I think black people (I'm black myself) are far too quick to 'claim' others as black, many of whom do not consider themselves to be black (but will claim it when convenient).

Drag Lana for targeting a specific genre of music, sure, but to say she is specifically targeting black women with her comments is not supported by the evidence.

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2020 2:53 AM

Camila is not white

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2020 2:56 AM

R59

No she's not if you actually read the post. It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 62May 22, 2020 2:56 AM

Twitter makes “scandals” like this even worse— everyone is quick to give an opinion on why something is problematic for likes/retweets/engagement. Trust me, nobody is actually offended. I doubt this is even on Beyoncé or Nicki’s radar

by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2020 3:11 AM

R6, So is Lana except for she's more older and coked out.

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2020 3:12 AM

She’s mad her career never took off like the girls she bitched about.

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2020 3:13 AM

[Quote] The only black people mentioned by Lana are Minaj and Beyonce. Doja Cat, Cardi B and Kehlani are biracial/mixed race. Ariana and Camila are white (Latino is not a race). I think black people (I'm black myself) are far too quick to 'claim' others as black, many of whom do not consider themselves to be black (but will claim it when convenient).

I don't think general audiences care if Kehlani and Doja are biracial. They're still black artists.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2020 6:32 AM

The Nubians of ancient Sudan did have a written language similar to heiroglyphics.

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2020 6:34 AM

Oops meant for other thread. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2020 6:35 AM

R66 doja has a white mother o___O

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2020 7:10 AM

R69 I agree with you but sadly many will just say she is “black”.

But I don’t like identifying mixed people as just one thing.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2020 7:15 AM

R69 and???

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2020 7:31 AM

I've no strong feelings about LDR, took her comments as addressing the reactions to the women she mentioned, not as criticism of them.

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2020 7:41 AM

Who does she think she is, Eminem?

Claiming to be part of that particular crowd, so she can name-drop them, is like Rachel Dolezal claiming to be black.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2020 7:41 AM

Total fake outrage. Couldn't care less about any of the mentioned, but she was just naming artists with songs dealing with sex, crass behavior etc. Billie Eilish doesn't have a song on that level to be included here, otherwise I'm sure she would've. Cardi Bi sings Your pussy basura (trash) my pussy horchata, she's right on pointing it out.

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2020 8:03 AM

That said, the golden rule is you never talk trash about your peers, ever. That's a no no for everyone of a particular field.

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2020 8:09 AM

r75. That golden rule was replaced by "I don't know her" shade a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2020 8:13 AM

I don’t think she’s trashing them exactly, but she does come across as whiny and entitled. She’s basically saying “Why can’t I be the popular girl for once?!” Honey, that’s not how this whole thing works. If you sing about being a sugar baby and subservient to your daddy, you’re gonna catch some heat. Same way the other ladies she brought up catch heat for what they do (look at the reply calling them strippers). She has her dedicated fanbase anyway, a couple of critics won’t affect her sales or overall critical reception. She just waded into a sea of shit for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2020 8:26 AM

I don’t think she’s trashing them exactly, but she does come across as whiny and entitled. She’s basically saying “Why can’t I be the popular girl for once?!” Honey, that’s not how this whole thing works. If you sing about being a sugar baby and subservient to your daddy, you’re gonna catch some heat. Same way the other ladies she brought up catch heat for what they do (look at the reply calling them strippers). She has her dedicated fanbase anyway, a couple of critics won’t affect her sales or overall critical reception. She just waded into a sea of shit for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2020 8:26 AM

What she's saying is not logical at all. So many white people love to give legitimacy to BS.

R74

Actually, Billie Eilish sings about "fucking your dad", and she's a minor.

I can't with white people today.

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2020 12:26 PM

White people always excuse everything a white person does.

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2020 4:19 PM

I think Lana looked cute as a chubby blonde before all the plastic surgery and starvation.

Why do her eyes look Asian? It it just make up or did she fuck with them too much

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2020 12:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!