Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most people who are billionaires aren't good, ethical people.

They're screwing over small businesses.

People give Jeff Bezos shit, but go back to the 1990s and ask how cuddly Bill Gates is and how he stole a bunch of technology to get rich. The entire basis of Microsoft was stolen from Apple and Xerox. It's well known and movies have been made.

Don't think for a second their foundations aren't used for laundering money. Most probably are. The Trump and Clinton Foundation have been guilty of this.

Billionaires, good ethical people? No. They're not. Most people don't care enough about molding their lives around avoiding their companies. They're ubiquitous.

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2020 5:14 PM

The only way to make up for it is to tax the shit out of them. Much preferred to the old days of envious, enraged mobs outright killing them.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2020 5:23 PM

Billionaires wield too much power. Having too much power is never good to one's moral compass. At least presidents can get voted out - billionaires, however, can't.

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2020 5:26 PM

The only way people can vote them out is to not give them money. Not support their business on a mass level.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2020 5:28 PM

I have even bigger news for you, OP. Mars bars are made right here on earth.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2020 5:29 PM

America chose to be an ultra capitalistic society OP. And that's what it means. Extreme income inequality, the rich get away with a lot of things and each man for himself. Americans loath any social order that calls for collective enrichment.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2020 5:30 PM

'No one ever makes a billion dollars. You take a billion dollars.'

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2020 5:30 PM

Behind every fortune, there is a crime.

It was mainly true when Balzac said it then, and it is true today. The main exception would be for inventors, who deserve the credit and rewards.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2020 5:33 PM

So, OP, sounds interesting. But why don't you site any credible sources for your hypothesis? For instance, when has the Clinton Foundation, or the Gates Foundation been accused of laundering money?

You wouldn't be a TROLL by any chance, would you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2020 5:34 PM

Don't blame capitalism. Blame the speculative nature of the stock market.

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2020 5:38 PM

But I'm a saint!

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2020 5:38 PM

"Buy him out, boys!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2020 5:41 PM

R9 Koch industries is a private company. You can't blame the stock market for that scum

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2020 5:41 PM

ITA with R1 and R2. Great posts.

I would love to go back to the days when we storm their home, and eventually send them to the guillotine and behead them publicly, along with McConnell and the other GOP politicians.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2020 5:43 PM

That's terribly depressing R5.

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2020 5:47 PM

OP do you have a link to the Clinton Foundation laundering money?

Otherwise FF to oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2020 5:51 PM

[quote]Most people aren't good, ethical people.

There. Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2020 6:05 PM

OP, the Clinton Foundation didn't do shit. The Trump Foundation stole money from cancer kids.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2020 6:10 PM

FALSE EQUIVALENCY.

Trump Foundation ≭ Clinton Foundation

NICE TRY, BORIS.

We know you want to distract and justify with "other sidism." We know Vlad ordered you to undermine faith in all American government and parties.

But it doesn't work when the Clintons are innocent of all crimes and used their funds from proper sources for legitimate, charitable purposes whereas Trump uses his foundation for tax evasion and personal income streams.

Now go bleach your insides before the coronavirus gets you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2020 6:16 PM

Any despite their incredible wealth, they always need MORE. So badly, in fact, many, like Bezos, they deny their employees a decent wage and/or a safe work environment.

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2020 6:18 PM

OP is a troll. But it behind (grey) bars.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2020 6:21 PM

Billionaires and other rich non-billionaires (in general) hate paying taxes, because "their" money would then be "given" to "undeserving" people. Better that they keep more of their money, then give to or create a charity that provides to those who they feel are deserving. And the bonus is that being praised for giving a small fraction of their wealth to charity feeds their ego.

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 6:29 PM

Uh, Kochs, Adelsons, deVos/Prince, Mercers, Loefflers, Schlapps, Zuckerberg, Cathy, et. al.?????

* Profits/greed

* Deregulation

* Envoronmental destruction

* Cheap labor

* New consumers

* Political power/owning politicians

* Yachts, gated mansions, private jets, furs, valuable artwork, diamonds, trophy wives, younger mistresses, hot pool boys, alpine chateaus, expensive cars, extravagant vacations, Swiss schools for grandkids, and paying no taxes.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 6:43 PM

^environmental

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 6:53 PM

There isn't one billionaire that ISN'T a sociopath. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 7:06 PM

Clinton's name was in the Epstein logs! You really think they hung around Epstein not knowing the truth? Mr. Paula Jones-Gennifer Flowers-Monica Lewinsky-Energizer Bunny-cheating Clinton?

Trump's the same way and everyone is ignoring the fact that those two President names are on those logs, indicating that more than likely they had sex with underage girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote] So, OP, sounds interesting. But why don't you site any credible sources for your hypothesis?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2020 7:18 PM

R18 I'm just in reality. Just because you want a candidate to work for you, just because you want them to be actual leaders who care doesn't mean it's real.

None of them care. 90% do not care. Power corrupts people. When they start living well, they start to think they're better and more deserving than others. They won't do anything to jeopardize their good living.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2020 7:23 PM

The OP is a troll. The Clinton and Gates foundations have done more to eradicate disease in the world than the entire US govt in terms of aid. 92 cent on the dollar for the Clinton Foundation goes to the primary charitable purpose among the best in the world. Money laundering does not go on through a foundation idiot- the money and value is forfeited once the donation is made dunce. And then there is Bloomberg and his Foundation which has given away billions and right now pays the pledges the US govt made to UN climate initiatives. Oh and 95% of Gates estate is pledged to philanthropy as is even more of Buffet’s fortune.

The wolf is not black and white IP although I suspect you are a troll- too stupid to be anything else.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2020 7:26 PM

PS, the Clintons net worth is less than 100 million and they have plowed about 80 million into their foundation. FYI. It proves antiretroviral meds free to about 13 million Africans, among many other initiatives. Bloomberg will be plowing a cool billion into anti Trump political ads this fall- maybe that’s what’s gotten you? Or you’re just really stupid. I can rattle off other worthy foundations right and left if you’d like-

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2020 7:32 PM

The vast majority of billionaires today did not inherit their wealth.

While "self-made" is a stretch, they certainly did not benefit from some sort of systemic bias that raised them while holding other back.

Buffett, Gates, Bloomberg, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Brin and Page, Jobs, Ellison, Ortega, Slim...the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2020 7:40 PM

And here I am stressing about my rent and my monthly $750 Cobra payment I can’t afford. Can I write to a billionaire to get a little $ help?

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2020 8:06 PM

Here is a billionaire who did good paying off student debt.

See, he doesn't wait to die to do the bulk of his philanthropy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2020 8:08 PM

r25 is the "both sides" troll

Flying on a plane doesn't mean you abused people

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2020 9:00 PM

"Clinton's name was in the Epstein logs! You really think they hung around Epstein not knowing the truth? Mr. Paula Jones-Gennifer Flowers-Monica Lewinsky-Energizer Bunny-cheating Clinton?"

That's pure speculation and has nothing to do with the Clinton Foundation, you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2020 9:10 PM

r6, it's "No one ever earns a billion dollars, you steal a billion dollars."

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2020 9:12 PM

I never realized what a greedy, shallow and petty country this was until I moved here.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2020 9:21 PM

Most people aren't good ethical people OP. The rich are shit but the middle class are equally as crapy. It's human nature.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2020 11:44 PM

The Net Worth Of America's 600-Plus Billionaires Has Increased By More Than $400 Billion During The Pandemic

The top five U.S. billionaires (Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett and Larry Ellison) saw their wealth grow by a total of $75.5 billion.Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has seen his net worth grow 30.6% in the past two months, boosting it to $147.6 billion; the fortunes of Bezos and Zuckerberg combined grew by nearly $60 billion, or 14% of the $434 billion total.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote]Much preferred to the old days of envious, enraged mobs outright killing them.

But so much less fun. BTW, I can still pull this look off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2020 11:49 PM

O Liberté, que de crimes on commet en ton nom!

I'm tired of certain special people getting to do all the criming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2020 11:57 PM

No one has ever become a billionaire or president in the last 100 years by being ethical.

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2020 5:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!