Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Interracial commercials

Do they make you uncomfortable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2020 6:31 PM

WTF OP? Honestly!

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2020 6:24 AM

What are they precisely?

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2020 6:27 AM

This has got to be a Trumptard troll thread. If anything these commercials give me hope in this new land called Trumplandia.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2020 6:29 AM

There are more interracial relationships on TV than in real life.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 1:42 AM

For some reason, Datalounge is [bold]obsessed[/bold] with this topic.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 2:02 AM

[quote]For some reason, Datalounge is obsessed with this topic.

Because Datalounge thinks it's still 1952.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 2:04 AM

I’ve noticed a lot of them over the past year. It’s nice to see.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 2:13 AM

How sad, OP, to be so desperate for attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 2:15 AM

What's your obsession with race, moron?

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 2:17 AM

It's the Race Troll back up to her tiresome old tricks again. Obsessive and demented. Grinds them out like shit burgers.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 2:18 AM

R9 see R10

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 2:19 AM

No but you poll makes me uncomfortable, you do realize it is 2020 don't you OP? What decade are you living in?

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 3:38 AM

OP lives in Mississippi (or, Moscow)

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 3:41 AM

Why on earth would they?

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 3:42 AM

Not only do they not make me uncomfortable, I hardly even notice them when they're on, just like regular commercials.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 3:51 AM

Fuck you op. Go eat your potato and drink your vodka.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2020 3:52 AM

Wake me up when they have gay couples in commercials.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2020 4:57 AM

When this Cheerios ad debuted in 2013, it was considered controversial. Now, it would go nearly unnoticed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 5:04 AM

R17 There are gay couples in TV ads for Prep.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2020 5:12 AM

I notice it when the ad comes on, but not nearly as much as I noticed just a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2020 5:19 AM

R6 Even in 1952 there was Lucy and Desi... some people want it to be like the 1860's

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2020 5:20 AM

I have noticed it over the past year and it's everywhere. I find it glaringly pandering. Why not just cast a black couple or an Indian couple, etc. It's not like if I see a black couple enjoying Cheerios I'm going to think- oh, that cereal's only for black people. Who thinks like that? I can't even imagine racists do.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2020 5:20 AM

R22 Look around... it's not uncommon for people of different backgrounds to be married

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2020 5:43 AM

It doesn’t make me uncomfortable. However, the commercials are in excess. And I’m starting to wonder

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote] [R22] Look around... it's not uncommon for people of different backgrounds to be married

No, of course it isn't. But the point is that advertisers are almost fetishizing it lately.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2020 7:19 AM

Where's ours?

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2020 8:49 AM

[quote]It doesn’t make me uncomfortable. However, the commercials are in excess. And I’m starting to wonder

In other words, it makes R24 uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2020 4:07 PM

I was just watching an old 80s movie, Looker, about a device that hypnotizes consumers into wanting to buy a particular product in a commercial. They were doing a demonstration early on in the film and they showed exactly where the viewer's eye went throughout the entire commercial. It revealed that he was totally focused on the model and not at all on the product.

it reminded me of the whole interracial couple explosion in commercials. These manufacturers are going for woke points at the expense of selling their product. If I see a white person, if I see an Asian couple, if I see a black family, I barely note it and I focus on what they're selling. If I see an interracial couple, it completely puts the focus on the fact that the advertiser is trying to be trendy and I completely forget what the product is that they're selling. And it's hard to qualify it because it's not that the couple or family is interracial, it's the overuse of it. Or the trend chasing.

When I was a kid and more people watched broadcast television, we always knew when a "trend" had reached peak saturation (not that we knew to call it that, we just knew it had become uncool), and that was when you saw it in a McDonalds commercial. Everything from disco to breakdancing to valley girl speak, if McDonalds centered a commercial around it, we had already moved off from it. This whole topic reminds me of that.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2020 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!