Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BRF and Other Royals, Aristos, Socialites Part III

As Part II has been paywalled already to nonsubscribers, I am starting a new thread. Do let's try to keep general news and gossip about royals everywhere here . . .

A quick scan of Billed-Blader, my favourite go-to for the Danish royals, confirms the ongoing case of bad acne that the next heir, Prince Christian is suffering. It's a miserable thing to suffer despite not being life-threatening, and as neither his mother nor father ever seem to have suffered from it if photos of them as young people are to be believed, I wonder where it comes from? It's bad enough for a boy, but worse for a girl, so hopefully the increasingly pretty Princess Isabella will not also go through it. Christian is also wearing braces on his teeth.

He's quite handsome already and growing up quickly.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2020 10:42 PM

^*BilleD-Bladet

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 11:44 PM

To the poster in Part II who wanted Queen Marie of Romania's coronation outfit, is this the one you wanted?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2020 2:50 PM

It's Tiara time...swipe for the Romanian Massin Tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2020 2:53 PM

The Diamond Loop Tiara. Queen Marie was pretty but quite eccentric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2020 2:54 PM

Marie of Romania has some unusual outfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2020 2:55 PM

I must say that crown of Queen Marie's is a knockout. It's so . . . . Vlad the Impaler's Consort, you know?

But you know what Queen Mary (wife of George V and the present Queen's Gran) is alleged to have exclaimed when the Abdication Crisis was shaping up:

"Really! This might be Romania!"

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2020 7:45 PM

The Queen's cousin, Princess Alexandra of Kent, is on video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2020 8:56 PM

Today is the 16th wedding anniversary of King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain.

I thought her dress beautiful but not that flattering for her tiny, small boned figure. She looked overwhelmed by cloth, and the circular train kept rolling up under itself as she walked.

Her designer, Pertegaz, was obviously aiming for REGAL with the collar, brocade, and sleeves - but it was a hot, humid day in Madrid, as might have been expected.

With her tiny figure, I think something lighter and lacier, with far less cloth, would have suited her better.

If you watch footage of the wedding, the poor bridesmaids have a difficult time trying to unroll the train constantly.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 1:00 PM

Will and Kate play bingo with seniors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 1:08 PM

Charles has launched a new Covid-19 memorial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 1:09 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 1:13 PM

R8 - I liked Letizia's wedding dress but it was too grand for such a petite woman. Swipe for photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 1:25 PM

More photos of Letizia's dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 1:27 PM

Kate looked more refreshed in the latest video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 1:41 PM

I loved Letizia's dress - a beautiful design with sumptuous material, just on the wrong girl at the wrong time of year.

Her veil was gorgeous and so was the Cartier tiara she wore.

If only it had been October rather than May, and Letizia four inches taller.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 7:13 PM

This Instagram poster is speculating on which tiara Bea will wear when she marries Edo. Anyone like to guess if it will be one of these three or another one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2020 7:21 PM

R2 - YES!!! Thank you so very much.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2020 7:30 PM

"Bea is living with Edo's family in the Cotswolds during the Covid lockdown."

Yes, in what is alleged to be a £1.2 million estate.

That should send Meghan into spasms of rage: the Cotswolds was her dream country estate location, and there's one of the hated York girls, tucked up in a grand home in the Cotswolds for the duration, whilst Meghan looks around at the nouveau riche gaudiness of the Perry place that he's never lived in,and which doesn't belong to her or her life in any way shape or form.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 7:33 PM

R16 - Bea is well known for loving Victoriana. Personally, I would love it to be the Teck - those crescents are to die for and soooooo Victorian!

The Strathmore is alleged to be quite fragile now, and although it's quite beautiful, I think it's a bit too girlish. Bea is over 30. But if her veil is lace and flowers, it might work. I don't know if repair work has been done on the fragile frame.

The York is just boring. I do hope she doesn't opt for it. It's relatively new, and her parents' marriage failed, why use it?

I'm sure Kate would have preferred her own engagement ring to Diana's, given how that marriage went and how unromantic its presentation was, but, er, it's unsurprising she didn't argue when William pulled out the sapphire . . .

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2020 7:37 PM

Edward and Sophie venture out to volunteer at a mosque to pack food parcels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 2:06 PM

[Quote]it's unsurprising she didn't argue when William pulled out the sapphire

To be fair, royalists and royal watchers *expected* her to wear it and would have tittered her if she didn't. I read that the arrangement between the brothers was that whoever married first would take the 💍. Though it would make so much more sense and be fitting if Markle got it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 5:19 PM

Of all the royal ladies of Europe, I think Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is the most stylish. Swipe for some of her hats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 5:28 PM

R22 - I don't love every single thing Mary selects, but most of the time she nails it, and she has a very good eye for clothes that disguise her lack of a waist.

The flowery head band/fascinator she is wearing in the last group of photos is what she wore to all four of her children's christenings (one set of twins, so three christenings). I believe in the photo shown she was attending the christening of the twins, I thin she wore a bright blue dress to that.

For the jewellery lovers, Queen Margrethe gave Mary, upon the birth of the next heir, Prince Christian, a gorgeous antique brooch containing a large sapphire surrounded by diamonds and suspended from a short diamond chain.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 7:48 PM

One thing that is interesting about Mary's situation is that two years ago, Mary was declared legally able to serve as Queen Regent should Queen Margrethe AND Crown Prince Frederik be unable to act as Sovereigns. This would be equivalent to Camilla being declared able to serve as Queen should QEII and the Prince of Wales be incapacitated at the same time.

Denmark declares "Regents" when the Queen travels - e.g., "Until Her Majesty returns from [xxxxx], Crown Prince Frederik will serve as Regent . . ."

Britain doesn't do this.

This declaration took place eight years after Mary married Frederik, and it speaks to the trust Mary has earned from Queen Margrethe and the Danish government.

One can only imagine QEII, looking sadly on as Queen Margrethe, the Crown Prince Couple, and the "spare" couple, Joachim and Marie, all getting on with the job, knowing their slots, enjoying their beautiful lives, whilst QEII has to cope with her idiot son, grandson, and grand-daughter-in-law - one generation after having to go through the mess Diana generated.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 11:15 PM

It's International Tiara Day! Who knew? Swipe for tiaras from many royal/princely/exiled royal families.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 12:24 PM

Where Marie Chantal gets off wearing something like that as if she were the equivalent of Kate or Mary or Stephanie of Liecthenstein, I do not know. There is no more Greek monarchy. She's a never-was pretending to be an existing Crown Princess.

Letizia is simply too small for those huge tiaras she's so fond of.

Maxima probably has the greatest collection in Europe.

That is a beautiful photo of Crown Princess Mary in Queen Ingrid's ruby and diamond parure (it includes a bracelet and enormous necklace, in addition to the tiara and earrings) that Mary was given to wear exclusively upon her marriage to Frederick.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 12:44 PM

Will encouraged the Archbishop of Canterbury to seek help for his depression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 12:54 PM

The Aquamarine Pine Flower Tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 12:59 PM

Swipe for Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau Tiara as worn by Princess Margaret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 1:01 PM

I don't know why, but those aquamarine tiaras just don't seem to work out well. The one Sohpie wears is borderline ugly.

I think it may be because aquamarine always looks better in oblong cuts than brilliant cuts, which makes geometric designs more compatible. The one shown above tries to do smaller round cuts but it just doesn't work out as well as it does with sapphires and emeralds and diamonds.

Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau Tiara is pretty, but not nearly as impressive as the Greville Kokoshnik with the enormous emerald that Eugenie wore for her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 1:27 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 5:31 PM

Prince Josef Wenzel of Liechtenstein is 25 years old today and he already has a receding hairline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 6:07 PM

Queen Victoria was born today in 1819.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 6:09 PM

12 years ago today, Prince Joachim of Denmark married for the second time to a French woman named Marie. Here is a short clip after the wedding ceremony. They sure had to wait a long time for that bridesmaid to give back the bouquet so the couple could bow and curtsey to the Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 7:08 PM

One wedding dress we never focus upon is Princess Marie's of Denmark, second wife of the "spare", Prince Joachim.

She looked absolutely stunning, the dress ample but simple, with a bit of lace and a decolletage just this side of naughty, beautiful veil, Margrethe gave her a beautiful tiara, everything worked - perfectly fitted.

There's a "spare's wife" - and a second wife, at that, whose children were also not allowed to use "Royal", but who knows exactly how lucky she is and has carried herself with cheerful discretion.

I don't know how to post links, but if someone can find Princess Marie's wedding photos, which should be up somewhere as I believe today is their anniversary, the dress should be amongst our appraisals.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 7:13 PM

Oh, DAMN, R34 - you put that up JUST as I hit the POST button!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

R35

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 7:14 PM

Love the covered buttons up the back of Marie's gown.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 7:17 PM

Swipe for more photos of Marie's wedding dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 7:21 PM

R35 - I thought Joachim and Marie's children were Prince Henrik and Princess Athena of Denmark? So they don't use His/Her Royal Highness in their titles?

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2020 7:22 PM

A world that is almost gone. Royals still exist but are only relevant in the UK. Aristocrat is meaningless- Rich is all that matters in terms of status. Ditto socialites- no such thing really and very few if any famous for their taste or style. Who? It’s all for sale now and represented by the designers, consultants etc who dress them and fix up their homes. The Nan Kempners and Mrs O’s are a thing of the past. For Gods sake a beautifully dressed prostitute is First Lady. She is not a courtesan like Mrs O or Pamela Harriman- just a call girl done landed her “john” for good. She doesn’t know squat about culture or the arts and probably doesn’t read much more than headlines and lifestyle blogs.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 7:23 PM

R39 - Prince Henrik and Princess Athena are Joachim's children, but the "royal" in "royal highness" stopped with him. They are only His Highness and Her Highness, a lower rung.

Frederik's and Mary's children are, of course, "Royal Highnesses".

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2020 7:25 PM

R39 - Just to clarify, Joachim's two sons by his first wife, Alexandra, also are only HHs, not HRHs.

But as Joachim's wife, Princess Marie DOES share his HRH

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2020 7:28 PM

I had to do a double take at the first slide of Marie and Joachim's wedding photos. For a good moment I thought I was looking at Mary, his brother's wife. Goodness. And the variants of the same name.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2020 7:49 PM

It's Tiara Time...swipe for Sweden's Nine Prong Tiara. Queen Silvia was very pretty until she started with the plastic surgery. Her half-Brazilian beauty shows up in the second photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 8:54 PM

The Swedish Cameo Tiara. Very unique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2020 8:55 PM

The cameo tiara is my faaaavorite!! 💕 🎉

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2020 9:03 PM

I love that cameo tiara, it's so unusual.

I asked this in another thread - any idea what tiara/parure this is? It's from The Queen's 1997 visit to Pakistan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 9:26 PM

R43 - There were lots of rumours that Joachim was a bit sweet on his brother's wife (especially as Joachim's first marriage was privately acknowledged as over in the run-up to Mary and Frederik's wedding). Joachim's divorce announcement was made publicly shortly after the wedding. Lo and behold, a couple of years later, Joachim turns up with this French girl with a variant of the same name, similar enough in look to Mary to pass for her sister, and - born one day apart in February. I think Mary is 5 February and Marie is 6 February, although Marie is a few years younger - about 44 to Mary's 47.

Believe what you will - personally, I don't believe in coincidences like that.

That said, Joachim and Marie seem very happy.

Of course, he also seemed very happy with the first wife, Alexandra, who was Anglo-Chinese. Very bright, highly educated, and was an exemplary Princess - learned Danish incredibly quickly and worked hard at her role. The trouble was only between her and Joachim, the Danes liked Alexandra very much.

She's been married and divorced a second time.

I found her interesting, but must say I hated her wedding dress. She's tiny, and it had this huge tight belt in the middle . . .

I have seen footage of Joachim and Alexandra dancing their"brudevalse" (bridal waltz, tune by Neils Gade, and a tradition at Danish weddings) and you can tell she was nuts about him when they married. Have no idea what happened, it was all very discreetly handled.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2020 9:47 PM

R47 - This is the George VI Victorian Sapphire Suite - the earrings, ring, necklace, brooch. The set was a wedding gift from her father, King George VI.

The jewels date from about 1850.

Later, HM had the necklace shortened and the brooch set as a pendant to hang from the necklace. And still later, she had the tiara and bracelet commissioned to match.

Frankly, I liked the necklace better slightly longer and without the pendant. I think it was softer and less clunky, and I don't like the tiara: it lacks the charm of the original suite.

Unfortunately, Her Maj did not request my input when making these changes.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2020 10:05 PM

Thank you R49.

Quite the wedding gift ...

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2020 1:49 PM

It's Tiara Time...swipe for The Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2020 2:33 PM

Princess Anne never looked so good. Swipe for photos taken around the time of her engagement to her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2020 2:35 PM

[Quote]In “The Queen's Diamonds” by Hugh Roberts confirms that in 1973, the Tiara was dismantled to make the Burmese Ruby Tiara.

The Nizam of Hyderabad tiara was lovely. A shame it was taken apart to make that abomination. I assumed the BRT was a gift from a middle eastern potentate with bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2020 2:47 PM

Sorry for posting again and again, but Anne looks great here. Casual, with her hair blonded and worn loose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2020 4:35 PM

R53 - "I assumed the BRT was a gift from a middle eastern potentate with bad taste."

Not.

The Burmese Ruby Tiara is called that because it was made to hold the 96 top quality Burmese rubies that were a wedding gift to QEII from the people of Burma. The number 96 is significant in those parts, hence the number of rubies in the parcel, and rubies were chosen because they are believed to ward off ill-health.

The tiara was made by Garrard's more than two decades later to hold the rubies, using parts of the Nizam. The only other major ruby tiara in the collection was the Oriental Circlet (it has been leant to Kate at least once) and the Queen Mother had possession of that. So the Queen finally dismantled the Nizam to create for herself a major ruby tiara using the Burmese rubies.

So you can blame Garrard's and HM, whom one assumes approved the design.

I don't think it's all that bad. It's just that like most of the modern stuff, it lacks the peculiar warmth and charm that the historical jewels do.

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2020 10:31 PM

I guess this is fitting. Both known for their gluttony and voracious sexual appetites. She had numerous assassination attempts. He should have had them...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2020 10:40 PM

Princess Anne was quite stylish in her younger days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2020 12:56 PM

Anne probably still fits in that outfit.

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2020 2:16 PM

On this day in 1867, the future Queen Mary was born.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2020 8:45 PM

It's Tiara Time...in Japan. Here is Princess Akiko's Diamond and Pearl Tiara. The Japanese Imperial family only seem to wear diamonds and pearls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2020 8:46 PM

Princess Ayako's Diamond Tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2020 8:47 PM

On to England and the Snowdon Floral Tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2020 8:49 PM

Charming the way Lady Sarah entwined greenery with the floral tiara. Just enough.

Made from several diamond brooches ATJ gave Margaret as wedding presents, then combined to make the tiara.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2020 10:15 PM

^*AAJ (not ATJ)

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2020 10:15 PM

You all know that Lawrence Tierney played Elaine's father in the famous Suede Jacket episode of "Seinfeld", right?

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2020 10:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!