Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fans trash Mel Gibson's ‘tone deaf’ movie

Mel Gibson’s new film Force of Nature has been labelled “racist” and “tone deaf” for its casting and problematic plot line.

A new straight-to-streaming Mel Gibson movie has copped fierce backlash on Twitter for both its casting and “insensitive” subject matter.

The trailer for Force of Nature, released on Wednesday, has been met with an avalanche of criticism with people arguing that not only is the plot problematic, but the stars of the film – Mel Gibson and Emile Hirsch – are, as well.

They’ve also pointed out the film, which is loosely based around 2017’s Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, has “racist” elements, given the white cast members are the heroes, and the Puerto Rican islanders the villains.

Force of Nature follows Ray (Gibson) refusing to leave his home amid a Category 5 hurricane. Frustrated by her father’s stubbornness, his daughter, played by Kate Bosworth, calls an officer (Hirsch) to reason with Ray and get him to safety. Hirsch and Gibson later team up to fight a Latino gang who try to break into his apartment complex.

The setting in Puerto Rico – which was devastated by Hurricane Maria three years ago – and casting of two white actors fighting a Latino gang stirred up plenty of distaste on social media, with Twitter users also pointing out that the film’s “heroes” have their own unsavoury pasts off-screen.

Gibson has a history of anti-semitism and has been accused of domestic violence, and Hirsch was charged with assaulting a female film executive in 2015.

“MEL GIBSON IS STARRING IN A MOVIE WHERE HE REFUSES TO EVACUATE HIS HOME IN PUERTO RICO THATS ABOUT TO BE HIT BY A CAT 5 HURRICANE?! WHAT IN THE CAUSACITY? WHOS IDEA WAS THIS?!?!?!!” tweeted one hater along with the trailer.

“Youre telling me, Gringos wanna make a hollywood film about the most traumatizing event in Puerto Rico history and center it around a snobby white old man who refuses to leave his home? Are you f***ing kidding me???,” another said.

“Straight-to-streaming piece of sh*t stars an anti-Semitic, abusive racist who battered his ex-wife and a dude who went to jail for attacking and choking a woman,” one more user wrote.

“Umm a heist in the middle of a hurricane devastation in Puerto Rico with Mel Gibson saving the day? #ForceofNature feels too soon and tone deaf,” said another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 7:45 PM

I really doubt it's "fans" crying about the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 6:52 PM

It was bad enough when Ben Affleck did it except god had the letter “s”.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2020 6:56 PM

This MF did not age well at all. He got the face he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2020 7:01 PM

[quote] It was bad enough when Ben Affleck did it except god had the letter “s”.

Oops. I didn’t meant “god”. I meant to write “his”.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2020 7:05 PM

[QUOTE] “Youre telling me, Gringos wanna make a hollywood film about the most traumatizing event in Puerto Rico history and center it around a snobby white old man who refuses to leave his home? Are you f***ing kidding me???,” another said.

😂 Funny.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2020 7:07 PM

Did Gibson even bother to do marketing for this crap or did he just correctly guess twitter outrage would do it for him?

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2020 7:12 PM

Gibson managed to piss off an entire country?

He's outdone himself!

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2020 7:36 PM

Puerto Rico is not a country. It's a U.S. territory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2020 7:43 PM

Interesting.

APOCALYPTO was all about the noble, white Christians from Europe putting a stop to those bloodthirsty heathens indigenous to the Americas, as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!