Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Six Million Dollar man--Can we talk about this show and how hot Lee Majors is in it?

My brother watched this and the BW and had the toys and shit. I caught it in syndication years later but never fully realized how HOT this man was. Especially with that mustache.

Those that remember, can you fill me in on how Majors was perceived back then?

I’ve read that he wasn’t supportive of Farah and her success, and he’s the reason she quit CA. Also, he wasn’t very nice to her people, but I’m sure that was typical of men back then.

Is there a current male equivalent that would give me an idea of how sexy he was considered? Were the Bionic shows considered jokes back then?

It seems to me that from the late 60s through the 70s, television was really going for something different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2020 12:47 AM

I mean....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Love this photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2020 12:35 PM

He is beautiful on The Big Valley,’ from 1965-1969. That show is on Starz every day.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2020 12:40 PM

Lee was Rock Hudson’s toy boy and that got him a career. Years ago before this was common knowledge my mother told me people at the University of Kentucky knew about it back in the 60s when she was a student there. Rock was supposedly fucking his way through the football team.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2020 12:42 PM

HE WAS SCORCHINGLY SEXY HOT! I MEAN COME ON! the wide open unbuttoned shirts in every episode showing his hairy chest, and the episodes where he was shirtless..

funny in that the 1st 2 seasons he was dressed pretty boringly and was almost "sexless" and so serious his character...

then something happened in the last 3 seasons where they started showing him off sexily, his character become more animated and more of a "roguish smirking" character and more homoerotic situations of him captured, knocked out, and so on.... the ONLY thing that could have been better was to have put his character in bikini's for some reason!.. lol!...

and the season i believe season 4?, when he started sporting the mustache and his hair made wavy, lighter brown and the gold highlights AND the open shirts! WOW! he was so over the top sexy it was almost campy!..

loved the season 5 episode "rollback" where he plays a roller derby player, and later dressed up as the MOST HOMOEROTIC ROBIN HOOD EVER when he and the other players who are actual criminals dressed up at a costume party then try to break into the O.S.I. to get some documents...

lee major as steve austin wears a black eye mask on his handsome face, then a "robin hood style" cap with a HUGE 3 foot long like peacock feather sticking out of the hat!, a brown leather vest like shirt and spray painted on green tights! really? REALLY gay costumer! ... later a scene of him climbing into a hole in a wall and there is a close-up of his green tights ass and YOU CAN PLAINLY SEE he is wearing a jockstrap and NOTHING ELSE underneath these upclose see thru green tights! you can EASILY MAKE OUT the straps of the jockstrap framing his ass/ass cheeks! awesome! seriously why would he not be wearing underwear under these green tights or at least underwear and a jockstrap instead of just a jockstrap?.. awesome incredibly sexy scene!....

i have seasons 3, 4 and 5 on dvd...

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2020 12:48 PM

Is it true that William Shatner was up against Majors fo the role? I heard that a long time ago. Maybe a rumor? While Majors was more tall and lean, Shatner was much more muscular, stronger, and tested better in tight shirts. Majors always looked great and I always enjoyed the show.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2020 1:04 PM

Was he like on magazine covers as sexy because Travolta is the ONLY thing you hear about from that era?

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2020 1:04 PM

R7 yes he was plastered on covers, although i think mostly with farrah as they were the "IT" couple in hollywood for a few years and then the love triangle with him and his best buddy ryan o'neal who either stole farrah from him or farrah cheated on lee with him and they became a couple...while prime ryan o'neal was hot as well, i think i would take prime lee if i had to choose.. they were similar "types" so no wonder farrah was attracted to both...

6 million dollar man was HUGE, i mean he had his own toy, lunch box, poster, coloring books and so on and so on..

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2020 1:08 PM

Uh oh... I feel a weeks-long DVD-buying, bittorrent-downloading, late night wine-drinking and watching obsession with an old television show coming on. I can't resist 70's American television!

I have foggy memories of watching this as a very little kid, and now want to see it all again in detail.

Thanks OP, and R5, for being the gateway drug.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 1:33 PM

When I was in grade school I had the action figure with the eye you could look through the back of the head, and the rocket ship he fit into.

I probably spent a lot of time undressing it! LOL

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2020 1:34 PM

I used to get major boners and sphincter clenching when I watched that show. I even made my mother buy me a denim leisure suit with a checked shirt. I was obviously a very disturbed child...

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2020 1:51 PM

R11 “Major” boners hehehe

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2020 2:07 PM

I didn’t watch this all yet, but sounds like fun and he gets very intimate with the action figures, and he’s a Brit so lovely voice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2020 2:16 PM

Even Marge fantasizes about Lee Majors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2020 2:20 PM

R10 I remember he had little socks!

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2020 2:35 PM

Love the thread! Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2020 2:58 PM

The show was a massive worldwide success and that doll sold like hotcakes.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2020 3:08 PM

Amazing - the biggest thing on earth for a year or two. Then disappeared. Lost his income, star status and hot famous wife all within a year or two. Hollywood is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2020 3:32 PM

Lee had a shitty deal regarding the toys released for 6 Mil & was pissed about it. Farrah had her nipple poster that CA producers wanted $$$ from because it came out between the successful CA made for tv movie & the start of the series. She refused to give up the poster $ but agreed to work the show while her contract was finalized. The CA series was huge from the start & Farrah became a worldwide star. Farrah signed a doll deal with Mego (they had major success with the Cher Doll) & was annoyed by all the CA toys released by the shows producers. So thats why Farrah left after the first year - she had no signed contract (she also wanted to be a movie star) She was sued & agreed to do two shows a year for the next 3 seasons & made mega bank on the toys the producers released (as well as her own Farrah toy line) Also: jacklyn released a Mego Doll but Kate & Cheryl Ladd held out for Barbie. The kate & cheryl dolls were released as TV Star Women with a 3rd celebrity- Kitty O’Neil- that was the jacklyn stand in. I learned all this from my bff who has a collection of 1970’s celebrity dolls

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2020 3:57 PM

I had a major schoolboy crush on Lee Majors. Even when I was a wee prepubescent 7 year old, I was having daddy fantasies about him and Bob Conrad.

And as I recall, and mentioned upthread, in the first seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man, Lee was frequently clothed in layers, mock turtleneck and sportscoat or safari jacket. Then in later seasons, his shirts were unbuttoned to his navel, revealing hairy chest, or he was frequently shirtless. I think this was the doing of Jay Bernstein, who launched Farrah as America's reigning sex symbol, and as such, she required a studly squire who was her equal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2020 4:16 PM

I meant to post this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2020 4:18 PM

Lee Majors had another popular series in the early 80's - he wasn't 'toast' after this show ended.

And yes, I had the SMDM doll with the eye - AND the arm that had a piece of plastic you could remove in his forearm that showed all of these circuits.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote]...but I’m sure that was typical of men back then

So, OP is a man-hater because she assumes men were typically horrible to women "back then"? "I'm SURE."

Fuck you, OP. In other words you're so unconvinced by your own fat-ass last misandry that you'll post a thread about the "accused" as you lust after him as he was in those Dark Ages of 45 years ago.

Eat the shit you're trying to serve in your life and on the DL, you despicable phony. And swallow hard.

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2020 4:23 PM

He was super hot but I saw photos of his original nose and liked it better on his face.

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2020 4:24 PM

He was hot as molten lava back in the day. The story I was told, by someone who grew up with him in Kentucky, was that back in his high school days he was a favorite pass-around boy for Rock and a group of his homosexual pals who would come to Kentucky regularly to stay at a hunting lodge one of the men owned. Each night was orgy time with guys from the local high school and Majors became Rock's favorite. And that's how he got to Hollywood and the rest is history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2020 4:39 PM

Is that a chest wig? Lol

Can someone post a pic of his original nose? He nose job rivals Nanette Fabray's

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2020 4:42 PM

R19 is why I love Datalounge. I learn new things here everyday.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2020 5:00 PM

R18

[qyote[ Then disappeared

Hardly.

Lee was in several TV shows.

Beginning with "The Big Valley" (1965-1969) after which he did some TV movies.

Next he was on "The Virginian" 1970-1971, followed by some TV show episodes.

Then the 3 TV movies for "The Six Million Dollar Man" all done in 1973.

Also co-starred on "Owen Marshall, Attorney at Law" from 1971-1974.

He was working on "The Six Million Dollar Man" TV show (1974-1978) at the same time as he was working on "Owen Marshall".

"The Fall Guy" 1981-1986.

Co-starred on "Raven" 1992-1993.

And so on.

This guy is still working and has pretty much been ever since he started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2020 5:02 PM

"I have foggy memories of watching this as a very little kid, and now want to see it all again in detail. " R9

Mmmm....and some of us have faggy memories of the show...

Great theme and opening credits, surprisingly sophisticated for a tv show then.

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2020 5:06 PM

Turned into a rightwinger and Trump supporter.

by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2020 5:07 PM

He had a handsome (if unmemorable) face, but his body never did it for me. Even then I didn't like those brawny barrel-chested types--I wanted men with muscular definition.

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2020 5:41 PM

Where did he get his makeup done in the R28 photo, a funeral parlor? He's looking rather cadaverish.

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2020 5:52 PM

R29.. lee majors and gil gerard ( the 2 that brought me many a night whacking away as a youngster!)... even now decades later they still can do "it" for me!!! thank goodness for 6 million dollar man and buck rogers on dvd!...add in some reb brown from that era too! and robert conrad in his spray painted on khaki pants from black sheep squadron!..

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2020 6:12 PM

R19, there were Mego Kate and Cheryl dolls, not just Farrah and Jaclyn. All four Angels were sold by Mego: Jill, Kelly, Sabrina, and Kris.

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2020 6:17 PM

Okay looking but no Bob Conrad or Ty Hardin.

by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2020 6:22 PM

Big Valley era:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2020 6:28 PM

He fit Rock's bill perfectly. Hudson was only attracted to very masculine men. No feys for him.

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2020 6:42 PM

This photo of Lee at home with a portrait of Rock looming in the background is... interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2020 12:25 AM

Rock meeting Lee's parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2020 12:28 AM

When Hudson died I think Lee's agent denied that the men knew each other. Despite evidence to the contrary. R39

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2020 12:57 AM

Who knew Lee's dad was Dom DeLuise?

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2020 1:05 AM

R34 No. Cheryl was going to be Mego but turned down the deal in favor of barbie. Kate was Barbie. All four were Hasbro dolls. (Action figure size )

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2020 2:48 AM

Lee was adopted which is why he doesn’t look much like his parents.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2020 2:53 AM

Weren't there issues between Lee and Lindsay Wagner? I seem to recall stories that he resented the salary they were paying her (because "Bionic Woman" was such a huge hit in the beginning).

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2020 4:17 AM

Hey R23? Besides the obvious, I'm not really sure why you're so bent out of shape, and most importantly, I don't give a FUCK.

Take your keyboard psychoanalysis to ANOTHER thread and bore them. THANKS.

R19 I read in that "Definitive" CA book--actually better than it should've been--that Majors was pissed that he would get home from the set but Farah was still at work. He basically gave her an ultimatum.

by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2020 9:34 AM

Sounds like Majors was a big male chauvinist. He sounds like one of those "the wife should be home waiting on her man, with a good meal on the table, the cocktails ready, and on her knees putting his slippers on" kind of guys. He was from Kentucky, so I'd have little doubt that's the way he was brought up.

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2020 10:18 AM

Rock couldn't have been with Lee. He was in a long term relationship with a black Academy Award winning screenwriter

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2020 12:37 PM

His brother Nick was hotter, tougher, and stronger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2020 6:04 PM

R48 I was like THAT's his brother--Nick Majors? I don't remember him. Oh, wait...nevermind. Haha

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2020 9:41 AM

Majors was ok, but I like a really hairy guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2020 11:52 AM

Apparently there was a made-for-tv movie about Lee and Farrah, starring Ben Browder and Tricia Helfer. Now that's inspired casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2020 12:18 PM

R20 What the hell is that?

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2020 12:42 PM

The whole Rock Hudson-Lee Majors story is quite fascinating.

Lee Majors' parents had to be suspicious of that relationship, don't you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2020 12:51 PM

Lee's Big Valley Days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2020 1:01 PM

Furry and bulgin'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2020 1:02 PM

Lee had the perfect male body IMO. Fit and sturdy, but not overbuilt. The body of a working man who was accustomed to physical labor every day.

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2020 1:45 PM

Hairy chested blonds are just the sexiest men on earth.

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2020 1:46 PM

R56 and all of his major acting roles in shows from the big valley to 6 million dollar man to the fall guy had his character every episode doing physical activity, no wonder he stayed in shape, imagine take after take for each episode of these shows as well..

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2020 2:27 PM

I love a hairy chested blond!

by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2020 3:14 PM

I will see the 1960's and 1970's were great for two things, bare male chests and short shorts where you could see some thigh. Oooph, this young gayling used to love seeing that.

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2020 4:26 PM

R60! and then the 80's brought speedos and spray painted on jeans and bikini underwear too!..

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2020 5:23 PM

Strung up and whipped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2020 12:46 AM

Another whipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2020 12:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!