Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did You Know Montgomery Ward Is Still A Thing???

Now you do

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2020 9:49 PM

For some reason it will not let me post a link to www (dot) wards (dot) com

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 4:15 AM

Yes, they sent me a bathtub and a crosscut saw!

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2020 4:25 AM

I bought a blender my mother's birthday gift. When we started it up, it broke, and pieces of it went flying across the room. It didn't even chop up the food that was in it. I took it back, and the cashier sighed that he had been accepting returns all day long. This was in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2020 4:27 AM

No, I did not I thought it was completely defunct.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2020 4:28 AM

r3

What unholy thing did you use it for before giving it to your mother.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2020 4:34 AM

It is around, but is a completely different company. Direct Marketing Services Inc. bought the intellectual property, after Wards was liquidated. Later Swiss Colony bought DMSI.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2020 5:07 AM

There are still a few White Front stores, sadly no Ohrbach's.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Yes, I did know that MW still existed as does Spiegel.

Can't wait to order my lawnmower from MW and bedding from "Spiegels, Chicago, 60611". Let's see if anyone else remembers the TV show where the Spiegels address was always stated with the zip code?

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2020 6:21 AM

My parents bought a shed from Montgomery Wards and put it together in our yard. It was quite the occasion.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 7:01 AM

OP, Cirxuit City and CompUSA are also still around too.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2020 8:54 AM

They are? I will meet you over in the stereo department: Electric Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2020 9:10 AM

Wow, I didn't know Montgomery Ward was still around or are they doing catalog stuff only?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2020 9:24 AM

My dad was a manager at Montgomery Wards for a few years. The set-up was weird. The town we lived in was only 14,000 people, so the store was small. The Wards was basically an small auto department, a small electronics department, some appliances, and it was a pickup location for catalog orders. That said, I never went to any other Wards in my life, so I'm not sure what the norm was for a Wards store.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2020 9:41 AM

There is exactly one Blockbuster video store left, in Oregon. The national chain is gone but this store had always been a privately owned franchise store.

As mentioned above there are several nationally known store/brand names that are still around but only in in the sense of new owners bought the intellectual property rights to the old names. I think that both Brink's and Bausch + Lomb fall into this category but I'm open to correction.

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2020 9:56 AM

[quote]Can't wait to order my lawnmower from MW and bedding from "Spiegels, Chicago, 60611". Let's see if anyone else remembers the TV show where the Spiegels address was always stated with the zip code?

I don't remember the show—The Price is Right?—but wasn't the Spiegel zip code 60609, as in "Spiegel, Chicago, Illinois, 60609"?

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2020 11:07 AM

Elders used to call it " Monkey Ward." Couldn't do that today.

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2020 1:01 PM

R15, you beat me to it about the zip code. You're right.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2020 1:17 PM

Worked a summer job at Montgomery Ward in the late '70s at Oak Park Mall in Overland, Kansas. Was pushing polyester in the men's department, me and a bunch of pompadoured old guys smelling of Brylcream. Only lasted a few weeks and then got a better job working at a deli in the same mall.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2020 1:17 PM

Before ZIP codes, quiz shows originating in New York gave a Post Office box number plus "New York 46, New York." Zone 46 was created for radio and TV "Contest Mail.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2020 1:26 PM

I want to sat The Newlywed Game, but maybe it was Let's Make a Deal?

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2020 11:57 PM

Answer...Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal, the door would open and Monty would say, Jay Stewart, "What Did they Win"?. Jay Stewart respond by providing a detail of the prize and if it was from Speigel, he would say "........ from Speigel, Chicago Illinois 60611"

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 5:56 PM

It’s only online now. I think it’s called Wards.

When the evil Bain took it over and squeezed all the wealth away from the employees, they couldn’t resist stripping it all the way down, even its name.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 6:12 PM

from Spiegel's Wikipedia page:

[quote]Spiegel benefited from television exposure and advertising in the form of prizes given away on several game shows, most notably The Hollywood Squares and Let's Make a Deal. Announcers emphasized Spiegel's large catalog offerings in on-air promotional announcements and [bold]included Spiegel's Chicago zip code, 60609[/bold]. Often these programs would award contestants gift certificates of a certain dollar amount toward catalog items, giving winners the flexibility to choose their own prize.

That's 60609, r21. What's this 60611 business?

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 6:32 PM

R22 They use the Wards.com address that the original company had established before going out of business. But their header on the website and catalog is Montgomery Ward. They employ a version of the classic 1980s Montgomery Ward logo.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 11:27 PM

I just took a huge dump.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 11:59 PM

R23...Thanks for the correction. I was wrong about the Zip Code but remember Let's Make a Deal.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2020 3:47 AM

[quote]My parents bought a shed from Montgomery Wards and put it together in our yard. It was quite the occasion.

Dreadful hillbillies

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2020 4:49 AM

[quote] Only lasted a few weeks and then got a better job working at a deli in the same mall.

Translation: I got fired for inviting the male customers into the restroom for unholy acts

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2020 4:50 AM

Monkey Ward had a store and auto shop in my small town. My parents, would buy from MW or Sears before any other brand name appliance, lawnmower, tires, etc. When we cleaned out my parents house this past summer, we noticed a number of MW items that still worked after being used for 50 or more years. Maybe they were right??

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2020 6:13 AM

I remember an episode of Bewitched when some snooty wives of one of Darrin's clients having lunch with Samantha. One of them says how sweet her wardrobe is and asks who designs her clothes. Samantha says, "I have two. Their names are Sears and Roebuck." I always thought it would have been more apt for her to say "Montgomery and Ward."

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2020 3:08 PM

r28, I wish. Was way too closeted at that point, even to myself, to have ever taken the chance.

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2020 4:54 PM

I bought my 1st rape whistle there.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote]Later Swiss Colony bought DMSI

I love their beef logs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 11:28 PM

Wards where America shops

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2020 7:00 PM

My first job, between hs and college, was at a Wards. I am a bit nostalgic about it. Probably just about my youth.

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2020 7:10 PM

The eldergays will remember Dicker & Dicker Of Beverly Hills from all the game shows in the 60s-70s. They're still around, selling dead animal skins. How, I don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2020 7:17 PM

My parents were always loyal to Montgomery Ward because they were the only store who would extend them credit when they first got married. That was back in the early 70s when credit cards weren't as common and it was much harder to get one.

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2020 7:20 PM

[quote]Before ZIP codes, quiz shows originating in New York gave a Post Office box number plus "New York 46, New York." Zone 46 was created for radio and TV "Contest Mail.

And Spiegel was "Chicago 9, Illinois."

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2020 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!