Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just Shoot Me is now on Hulu

Great news! It was an awesome show and Nina Van Horn should be a DL fave.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 12:59 AM

She is kind of a DL mascot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2020 11:47 PM

None of us is getting exactly what we want and so we’ll all mildly resent one another, just like a real family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2020 11:51 PM

Wendie Malick was really terrific in that part but the writing was shit.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2020 11:55 PM

She was the best part of the show by far. If the rest of the cast had been up to her standard, it could’ve been a decent AbFab-like series.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2020 11:56 PM

What can’t Wendie do? She’s very talented.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2020 11:57 PM

She's diabolical.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2020 12:05 AM

Nina Van Horn - The A & E Biography.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2020 1:13 AM

I wonder what happened to the actress who played Maya??

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2020 5:35 AM

My favorite episode - Hostess to Murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 6:48 AM

Wendie completely stole the show away from everyone. She was the reason to watch. It's a shame she has never won an Emmy (although was nominated twice for this show).

Laura San Giacomo still works sporadically.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2020 7:07 AM

Loved "Just Shoot Me." Always reliably and consistently entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2020 7:36 AM

Thanks to this thread, I just watched the pilot episode and it was very good. The writing wasn’t terrible as I remember it to be. The script actually had a few good zingers and even a couple of smart ones. Laura San Giacomo was very good as the ‘straight man’—it’s obvious that she’s a step up from a Friends-level sitcom actor—and George Segal is good as her father and I can’t believe I’m going to write this, but I’d say honestly that David Spade is almost up to Malick’s level. He’s a funny little imp.

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2020 10:27 AM

I just noticed this was on Hulu. Not that it's peak TV, but it added up to something more than it's parts. I liked it much more than expected.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2020 10:35 AM

One of my favorite exchanges between Enrico Colantoni and Wendie Malick. I haven't seen the episode since it first aired, but I think the writers were toying with a possible romance between Elliott and Nina. It's late at night, and they're the only ones left in the office:

Elliott: "Workin' late?"

Nina: "Fell asleep..."

The way Malick delivers that line is so perfect... So "Nina Van Horn-ish."

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2020 4:13 PM

Although Wendie was the scene stealer, it was a good ensemble. I definitely preferred it to Friends.

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2020 5:26 PM

Watching it now. It’s so fun and the episodes fly by.

It’s also fascinating to watch them use pay phones, Nina smoking in the office (!!!). This show premiered in 1997, my first year in college, also the year I got my first office job. I remember a no smoking sign on the office door and one of the building’s two stairwells was designated for smokers, and it like a gas chamber. You’d open the door and rancid-smelling smoke would literally billow out of it.

Ah, the 90s!

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 12:06 PM

It's hard to believe but at the time David Spade was the breakout star of the series. It was a career anomaly because he was annoying on SNL before the series and unbearable in Joe Dirt and everything else he did after.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 12:12 PM

David Spade should have been forcibly retired or run over by a truck when it was starting out in the business. Painfully unfunny, ugly and annoying little troll that refuses to go away.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 12:20 PM

David Wendie Laura - a good ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 12:24 PM

Cheri Oteri, Amy Sedaris and David Cross are excellent guest stars in separate episodes, especially Cross's "Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie."

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 12:26 PM

I just finished watching the whole series, and I enjoyed it, as I hadn't seen the show in years. One word of warning - Hulu has it in order by air date, rather than by production date, so there are some episodes that don't make sense from a continuity standpoint.

Most notably, the series finale, Future Issues, is not the last episode - there are three episodes after the series finale that were aired later, only in syndication. Future Issues makes sense as a final episode. The order on Hulu has Strange Bedfellows as the final episode, and that episode makes no sense as a series finale.

King of the Hill has the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 12:30 PM

David Spade was well cast as the little insecure office imp secretary who opportunistically takes advantage of everything he can. It’s an odd character and it seems like it had to have been written for him.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 12:33 PM

David Spade is so horrible. Cant' watch it because of him.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 12:37 PM

Nina was great. I always imagined she met up with Karen Walker for drinks with Smitty 🤗

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 12:39 PM

Just watched an episode with Cheri Oteri. She played a secretary where the gag was that she was as dumb as a dog and acted like a dog—chasing her tail, etc. It was cute. Will & Grace made Grace do that in the most recent final season and it was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 1:00 PM

I thought Spade was good in this. They're not portraying him as a hunky leading an or anything, and if you don't like him, his character is an annoying pest that you're really not supposed to like anyway.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 4:37 PM

Nobody mentioned my man Brian Posehn as Kevin. Brian does great stand up. The one line I remember him saying was "I like Owls." I don't remember the context, but it was a great awkward line by an awkward character.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 5:18 PM

r27 WHET to Brian P? He used to be all over TV, but I haven't seen him since Sarah Silverman's old show.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 9:18 PM

R28. It's funny. Soon after I posted he showed up on a promo for "Worst Cooks in America."

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 12:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!