Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chuffed for chives!

In my garden, I've got chives growing from the previous owner. I remember my mom cutting up chives and putting them in scrambled egges sometimes. What else do you use your chives in? I'm considering getting a few more herb plants to enhance my cooking.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 6:30 PM

Chives can keep away the pests that ruin other herbs. Also good for biscuits and the like

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2020 5:27 PM

If you have lots of chives, here is a recipe for chive-dressing that is superb:

1/2 c mayo

1/2 c sour cream

1 c chopped chives

1 green onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, chopped

1 Tbl tarragon vinegar

1/2 tsp dried tarragon

1 tsp sugar (or sugar substitute, which makes this low carb)

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Place all ingredients in food processor and process until creamy. Correct seasonings.

I find that chives can vary a lot in their hotness, so I start with 1/2 cup of chives and add more if the result is not too spicy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2020 5:33 PM

What the fuck is "chuffed?"

Doesn't anyone on this site come from America any more?

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2020 5:49 PM

When I was a kid, there was a pre-packaged sour cream and chives dip we would eat with potato chips that was simple but delicious. It would be easy to make from scratch since it was just...sour cream with chives.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote]Doesn't anyone on this site come from America any more?

Not if they can help it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2020 5:55 PM

On baked potatoes with sour cream

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2020 5:58 PM

Brilliant with generous amount of fresh parsley, in drawn butter, or mixed and stored as compound butter. Serve over potatoes, cabbage, steaks, fish, any vegetables really.

Chives minced and tossed into vinaigrette are lovely.

They're a natural pairing with any cheese sandwich, or soup.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2020 6:05 PM

They make a great garnish for fried rice or spicy noodles, that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2020 6:07 PM

Only R5 can turn a friendly thread about the joys of a bountiful herb harvest into a platform to display his own oikophobia. Let me guess, millennial?

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2020 6:16 PM

R3 -it’s on the internet you muppet. Not figured out how that works yet ? Best go and wave a flag and shout ‘Freedom’ in Walmart ....

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2020 6:18 PM

I'm chuffed you used the word OP... great illiteration by the way.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2020 6:24 PM

^alliteration... Oopsie daisy

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2020 6:26 PM

Chives and dill are my two favorite herbs. I put chopped chives in my scrambled eggs, omelets, potato dishes, deviled eggs, etc - chives and eggs in particular are a fantastic combo.

I grow onion and garlic chives. Onion chives are what most people think of when they think of chives. But garlic chives are a larger heartier plant and the leaves are just as delicious as onion chives.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2020 6:29 PM

At one restaurant where I used to work, we would make a chive cream cheese spread for sandwiches. Delicious.

At a deli where I worked years ago we made our own cheese balls.

-In a mixer/food processor add a block of cream cheese, garlic powder, dash of worcestershire sauce and chopped chives until well combined and soft consistency.

-roll cheese into balls(I reccomend wearing gloves as your hands will get gross) and refrigerate until somewhat firm

-coat cheese balls in slivered almonds

So much better than store bought

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2020 6:30 PM

R14 I grew up making similar cheese balls, and we added a bit of chutney too... Usually Major Grey's or Branston.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2020 6:33 PM

R3's head exploded when she read R15.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2020 6:42 PM

R16 Ha! I don't understand the intense dislike of Britishisms here... In my own life, the Americans I know find them amusing.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2020 6:47 PM

A great dish featuring chives is Egyptian Lemon Potatoes: steamed or boiled small, waxy potatoes, butter, lemon juice and plenty of snipped chives.

Chives is a great herb garden plant: A very hardy perennial that puts forth plenty of tubular leaves and then a tall flower stalk surmounted by a spherical white or purple blossom(which is edible) Either use them fresh(cut them at the base of the plant) or snip and freeze them. Dried chives are tasteless.

If you want extra plants to increase your supply, simply divide them in Spring,(break apart the clump which is composed of many small bulbs) and replant. They are a great bee plant as well.

There are garlic chives too, the leaves are different though, flat, not tubular, like grass.

You can get carried away growing herbs, so many to choose from and for varied uses: culinary, medicinal, perfumes, tea, dye plants, poisonous(!) et al.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2020 7:15 PM

I had three things winter over in my garden - chives, lavender and sage.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote] What else do you use your chives in?

Turkey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2020 7:26 PM

Simple and perfect:

-good fresh dark bread (rye, pumpernickel -- anything, but really good quality, from a baker, if possible)

+ good quality butter (unsalted)

+ loads of fresh minced chives on top

= Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2020 7:44 PM

R17 It's probably the pro-Meghan/anti-British troll.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2020 7:56 PM

Kevin Lee Jacobs suggests ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2020 8:10 PM

r20 I believe that was owned by the Bee Gees.

"Ch-Ch-Ch-Chive talkin'..."

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2020 8:42 PM

Put them in savory scones

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2020 9:28 PM

R25 Yes! Very good advice, especially with cheese.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2020 10:23 PM

I love chives in everything especially on top of soup or eggs. I don't like onions very much so I use chives in anything that calls for onions (that wouldn't be cooked down to translucent mushiness).

basil is really easy to grow too

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2020 10:28 PM

If you enjoy bunnies in your garden, do plant cives; I find them constantly munching on my chives.... I don't mind a bit, though. I put other food out for them, yet it doesn't seem to deter them.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2020 1:23 AM

NEW VIRUS IS KILLING - RABBITS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2020 1:54 AM

R29 My browser always crashes on NYT... I was able to read a bit on this ancient iPad mini, but it sounds sad... Like rabbit Ebola! Cheers... Clue me in on what I've missed if it isn't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2020 2:06 AM

rabbits will die, by the hundreds. your chives will be safe at last

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2020 1:05 PM

When it exploded, you have to have a story to tell.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 12:14 PM

Chive pesto...no garlic, Chives, lemon, oil, cheese, nuts. Delicious stuff.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 1:06 PM

r33 Comparable to chimichurri? Sounds great just spread on toast. Or maybe a baked potato?

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 3:26 PM

R34 I don't eat baked potatoes. I use it on pasta or toast. Different than chimichurri.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 9:41 PM

because of this thread, I dug out one of my cupboards because I remembered I had herb seeds. I planted (in pots for inside under grow lights) chives, three kinds of basil, rosemary, sage and thyme

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 6:23 PM

R36 Great idea!

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!