Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Streaming Theatre Thread

London's National Theatre has been making a different old production available for streaming each week during the Corona lockdown.

I'm German, and lots of prestigious German theatres have been doing the same - Berlin's Schaubühne and Hamburg's Thalia Theater are even putting up a different productions every day. (Some of them with English subtitles available, I think, so it might be worth checking out even if you don't speak German.)

Are any other Anglophone theatres also streaming plays? (Or maybe French ones with subs?) Any recs?

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2020 7:12 PM

The Young Vic production of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Gillian Anderson is now online until next Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 12:26 PM

French subs! Now that sounds hot. Where can I get a few of those, s'il vous plaît?

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 12:32 PM

This could be of interest: this Wednesday, you'll be able to watch the Schaubühne stage adaptation of gay writer Didier Erebon's acclaimed autobiographical book "Returning to Reims" with English subtitles, between 6.30 PM and midnight Central European Time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:10 AM

R1 Could not get past 20 minutes in to this abomination. Blanche shows up at Elysian fields wearing Laboutins toting Louis Vuitton luggage. And the actor playing Stanley SCREAMS Big Homo. Why change it to take place in modern day NOLA? So bad I couldn't even hate watch. I tried.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 3:58 AM

Is there a streaming version of 'Streetcar' production starring Natasha Redgrave?

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 4:00 AM

Richardson! Natasha Richardson! Don't rebuke me you mustn't rebuke me!

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 4:07 AM

Considering starting the free month’s trial of the Met Opera app. Is it worth it? Which content should I be sure watch?

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2020 2:48 PM

The Thalia Theater website is streaming the Old Vic production of "Wise Children" for the next 24 hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2020 6:38 PM

Ive watched a few streamings plays and operas and I can now say with full confidence that watching these on a computer or phone is terrible

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2020 6:46 PM

Great initiative, OP! I'm in France and La Boheme is streaming right now from Opera de Paris. Available until 14 June (one week).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2020 7:10 PM

R3 I saw the French version (by Ostermeier) on stage a year ago. It was excellent. Plus, I saw it in a "deprived area" - one actor was relatively high-profile, the other was a semi-local rapper. The whole thing was an interesting riff on the original text - great book.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2020 7:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!