Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever actually seen a member of the U.K. Royal Family in person?

Even from afar? They say the Queennwill stay in lockdown and probably restrict herself to public addresses on television, but so what? How many people have every actually gotten to see the queen, or any other royal excep on TV? Have you? What about lesser titles? A lord this or earl that???? The closest I came was touring on of Lord Peter Palunbo’s homes in the US when he was on the grounds. The tour group (it was a Franklin Lloyd Wright house) was told that if we see him to say hello, he’s very approachable . But he was off riding.

by Anonymousreply 117May 24, 2020 11:30 PM

I saw Queen Elizabeth when she did a tour of the US back in the early 90s. It was pretty uneventful.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2020 6:14 PM

Queennwill

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2020 6:15 PM

Queennwill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2020 6:15 PM

My mom got to shake hands with Prince Charles when he came to Dallas in the 80s. She also saw the Queen drive through the little village she lived in England as a teen. Both occasions sounded uneventful.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2020 6:29 PM

Yes. I saw the Honourable Lady Ogilvy at Tisch back in the early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2020 6:31 PM

I worked at Disney World in the early 90s. One day, I was working at Grand Prix Raceway when Princess Diana came through with William and Harry; while they enjoyed the ride, Diana stood no more than 20 feet away. A few years later and I was working at Continental Airlines and a friend and I had scheduled a vacation to London - a week before we left, Diana died, and so we were there at Hyde Park Corner when her funeral cortege passed by.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2020 6:32 PM

Yes. The Queen. Three times.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2020 6:46 PM

I was living in London in the early 80s and happened to be around Covent Garden one evening. I was walking near Theatre Royal Drury Lane, and I don't know if it was the Royal Variety performance, but a smallish crowd of about 30-50 people were on either side of the entrance. A purple carpet was rolled out. More people started to arrive, so I asked someone what was going on. I was told by someone that the Queen was going to arrive soon. I asked what kind of car would she come in and someone said, "Oh, a Rolls-Royce, of course". Said Rolls did come, and the Queen came out, smiling, looking much better than on tv or on pound notes or coins. I wasn't sure if it was a crown or tiara she was wearing, but it sure glittered and was expensive. But this time, a matter of maybe 5 or 10 minutes later, there were more people there, but not a huge crowd. Everyone started should "Hurrah! Hurrah!" if I recall, and she smiled and acknowledged them as she went inside. I thought it was very cool indeed! My roommates saw Prince Charles in person and said he looked good in person. I also saw Princess Diana In NY through the windows of some hotel on 7th Avenue (around 52nd Street or so) at some kind of catered elegant "do" in the 1990s and she looked lovely and like she was having a nice time.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2020 6:52 PM

Everyone starting "shouting", that is "Hurrah!", etc.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2020 6:53 PM

When I was in high school, I did a trip to Scotland and England. We happened to have the standard tour of the Tower, and just so happened to be there when the Queen was coming off her final trip on the Royal Yacht, before they sold it. It was fine.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2020 6:57 PM

I saw the Queen and Prince Philip in Halifax when they visited in 1994. In fact I saw them twice, once in a formal procession and once in the evening on some sort of casual outing that hadn't been publicized. I was on Spring Garden Road and there were few people around, when the convertible limo passed slowly by. The Queen was looking straight ahead, but Philip was gawking around, and I waved at him. To my surprise, he waved back.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2020 6:58 PM

Ol here. What wonderful stories!! Thank you for your recollections.😘😷

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2020 6:58 PM

I saw the Queen and Prince Philip when they visited my home town in the 70s. I saw Diana when she was going to the cinema with her girlfriends in Bayswater, London in the 90s. There was security and press everywhere. I felt sorry for her. I saw Princess Anne at a charity event. She was a pro, gracious to everyone, and taking a genuine interest in the proceedings. I’m not keen on the monarchy for various reasons, but Anne does her job very well.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2020 7:12 PM

Oi, fit builder!

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2020 7:13 PM

I have French-kissed the queen several times.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2020 7:23 PM

Diana the summer she died. I was visiting a friend on his yacht in Monte Carlo and Dodi and Diana came to lunch from the Sokar, the Fayed yacht. We ate chicken salad sandwiches and drank cheap rosato spumante.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2020 7:23 PM

I saw the King of Sweden at Nell’s in 1987.

Doesn’t answer OP’s question, does it?

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2020 7:30 PM

Princess Anne visited my workplace three years ago, and spent about an hour wandering around, talking to people and Looking Interested In Things. I didn't get the chance to speak to her, but did see her in close-up. She's smaller than I thought. My colleague, who did speak to her, said she was very down-to-earth and approachable, and seemed genuinely interested in what he was doing. It's highly unlikely that she was remotely interested, but it's a good skill to have, to be able to listen attentively to someone no matter how boring the conversation is. The boss's secretary said that her "rider" was a cold can of full fat Coke - expressly not Pepsi, and not diet!

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2020 7:34 PM

In 1999 my spouse and I attended the theater during a visit to London. When we picked up the tickets they told us to be in our seats by 7:15 as there would be no admittance after that. OK, whatever. We got there just in time to a half-empty theater and we were somewhat alone in the middle of the theater, near the boxes. Strange, as it was opening night. Just before the curtain in walked the Queen, Queen Elizabeth the Queen, Mother, Princess Margaret, and her daughter Lady Sarah. It was the Queen Mother's 99th birthday. We all stood and sang the national anthem (I'm American and knew only the first two lines). We all sang "Happy Birthday" at the end of the performance. Later, we stood at the corner of Pall Mall, knowing they'd be driving back that way to the palace. Got another wave out of her. Quite fun.

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2020 7:34 PM

[quote] The boss's secretary said that her "rider" was a cold can of full fat Coke

She should have demanded an inclusion rider!

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2020 7:37 PM

R18 "full fat Coke"? No, honey, there is no fat in soda.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2020 7:38 PM

Prince Edward came to my town a few years ago, for a pre-planned visit, but there wasn't much of a todo because we were preparing for a hurricane at the time.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2020 7:47 PM

[quote] The boss's secretary said that her "rider" was a cold can of full fat Coke

She should have demanded a cool rider!

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2020 7:49 PM

I saw Prince Charles review a parade in London in 1974. I was pretty close. I saw Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, from a window in Kensington Palace, also in 1974. She was getting in to her car. I saw the Queen and Prince Philip in Philadelphia for the Bicentennial in 1976; he was very tanned, while she was extremely white (I thought of Bette Midler's comment that she was the whitest woman in the world). I saw the Queen Mother in her car pulling out of Clarence House in 1988. She had a spotlight on her from inside her car, she waved, and the crowd melted -- she was astonishingly charismatic. I saw the Queen and Prince Philip standing in their car the day after a bombing in the Tube and buses in 2005, celebrating VE day. The car moved very slowly while they stood, their upper bodies exposed, through the crowd of thousands of people. I was astonished by their courage. Then the whole royal family stood on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, but I couldn't really see them well from such a distance.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2020 7:49 PM

I saw the Queen Mother in Toronto, sometime in the ‘90s.

I was riding my bike home one evening along Bloor Street West when I came to St. George Street and noticed a crowd of about 50 people gathered outside the York Club, which at the time was an elite Old Boys’ club, very posh, in a grand old mansion. There was a barricade at the entrance staircase and a motorcade parked out front. I stopped and asked a chap what was going on and he said it was rumoured the Queen Mother was having dinner and everyone was waiting to see her.

It was a beautiful, warm summer evening, and there was a low-key but very real sense of excitement in the crowd, so I decided to hang around for a while. About twenty minutes later, the doors opened and there emerged on the threshold this almost ethereal figure in a shimmering silvery gown. It was the lady herself. Everyone burst into applause while she beamed and waved and looked genuinely touched. She made her way down the stairs, walked to the barricade and shook hands with some of the well-wishers. Then she got into the waiting white limo and was whisked away.

I hesitate to use a cliche like ‘magical,’ but that’s what it was. I was surprised by the emotion I felt — perhaps it was the excitement of seeing a historic figure in the flesh combined with the Queen Mother’s seeming warmth and gratitude for the ovation from the crowd. It was all like a pleasant dream.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2020 7:53 PM

Saw the Queen and Prince Philip in Boston back in the 70s, must have been during the Bicentennial. They arrived in the Royal yacht, which was moored at one of the piers, and later appeared with Michael Dukakis and Kitty (glug glug) outside City Hall. The Queen did a walk around the plaza, and passed about 10 feet from me, so I was able to get some pretty good close-up pics. I was with my college roommate, and he kept yelling "Betty, over here!" but I don’t know if she goes by that name. It was a typical hot and humid New England summer day, and I felt sorry for her in her hat and gloves. (Not my photo below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2020 7:58 PM

R25, the QM worked tirelessly to create the "royal mystique" around her husband and herself, and then her daughter. She realised that - at that time at least - what people really wanted to see when they saw the Royal Family was something magical and wondrous, and not "just plain folks". There's an anecdote about Princess Diana complaining to about having to ride in an open-topped carriage and be seen by people. The QM replied something like, "Those people have waited all day in the cold just to see a glimpse of you - so you go out there and you smile, and you wave, and you give them back some of the love they give you."

And she could, by all accounts, drink most people under the table.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] while she was extremely white (I thought of Bette Midler's comment that she was the whitest woman in the world).

Did her skin darken with age? While undeniably white, she has never appeared to have super pale white skin, in photos.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2020 8:11 PM

I'm R24, and I have to agree with R25 about the Queen Mother. She had a way of cocking her head and smiling that made everyone melt. The crowd I was in, when she drove out, melted. She was, as Hitler said, "the most dangerous woman in Europe" during the war because of her charisma.

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2020 8:25 PM

I have seen the Queen and Prince Philip a number of times, Prince Charles & Camilla once, Princess Anne once, Prince William and Kate once. I live in Ottawa along the 'royal route' that their motorcade travels from the airport, and as I live at an intersection, the motorcade always slows right down to a crawl despite the RCMP holding the intersection open. I stand on the sidewalk, usually alone if not one or two others, and can literally see right in to the car. The Queen stared right at me once but didn't smile and I thought it was dumb to wave so I didn't. If she had put the window down I could have high-fived her, I'm literally that close. I have seen many of the open carriage processions over the years as well.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2020 8:45 PM

Ok, so I went to England to visit my in-laws and my brother in law took us on a tour to London. When we got to Buckingham Palace my brother in law was talking to a police officer. He took me to a spot and told me not to move. Within a minute the car with the flag appeared. I was about 5 yards from her car. She wore yellow and did the wave. Phillip was with her.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2020 8:55 PM

Keep ‘em coming, you old queens!!

Love how detailed they are.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2020 9:01 PM

I saw the queen pass by in her Range Rover, she was driven home through some side streets after Remembrance Sunday a few years ago. Prince Philip was with her, seated on the other side. I know this because from across the street a little boy wailed “Oh, mum, I only saw Prince Philip.” She looked just like you’d expect her to: petite, serious and sitting up straight.

I’d be curious if anyone has seen Kate in person and if she looks terrifyingly skinny, as she looks so thin in photos.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2020 9:03 PM

I lived in London for ages and never saw the Queen.

But when I was in Sydney, I saw her open the Opera House.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2020 9:11 PM

I sat next to Princess Alexander at dinner in the Eighties but I wasn’t aware of who she was at the time. She was delightful and elegant with a very deep voice.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2020 9:16 PM

Grabbed HM’s pussy at the State Banquet. She told me I have the biggest hands.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2020 9:22 PM

R36 made me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Prince Edward at an event in Los Angeles in 1998. It was during my cuter days... I spoke with him briefly and when I later walked out of the event, he caught my eye and maintained his gaze as I walked away. I was sure we'd be married!

About a year later a friend and I were in London walking by the Palace in early evening when we saw a crowd by the gate. We stopped to see what was going on and a minute later a car arrived at the gates with Prince Charles inside. He waved to all of us.

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2020 9:39 PM

I've been fairly close to the Queen twice, once when she opening something and the other time I was a guest at a Buckingham Palace Garden party and pretty much all the royals were there. I didn't speak to any of them - the people who were to meet the queen etc were organised beforehand and carefully positioned to be introduced by the various flunkies. I've actually met, to speak to, Princess Alexandra and Prince Edward, on each occasion at an opening of something I was connected with. I had quite a long discussion with Edward about the project - he came up to me and a friend as we were chatting in a corner, probably because we were the only reasonably young people (about his age) in the room.

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2020 9:40 PM

What did Edward look like in person?

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2020 9:46 PM

I didn't actually see her, but Princess DIana visited the Brooklyn Academy of Music in the 80s when they did a US tour. I remember all the other well dressed people who went in and it was the first time I saw men in fur coats.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip came to Hanover Square in NYC to 2010 to visit the British Garden (now renamed after her). I worked in 55 Water St so I got the birds eye view.

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2020 9:48 PM

It's the ongoing soap opera. Fun to watch when I remember to turn on the telly after I've made a nice pot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2020 9:51 PM

[R40] Well, he was not a breathtaking stud, but in 1998 I thought he was cute and definitely would have said yes!

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2020 9:53 PM

Andrew was hot too

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2020 9:55 PM

He was handsome I thought, R 40, with beautiful skin - we were both young back then.

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2020 9:55 PM

[quote]it was the first time I saw men in fur coats.

A bunch of pimps went to BAM to see Di?

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2020 10:02 PM

I saw the Queen leaving St. Paul's once while riding upstairs on the 26 bus.

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote] Queen leaving St. Paul's once while riding upstairs on the 26 bus

A true woman of the people.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2020 10:06 PM

I recounted my tales of bumping into Charles, William, and Harry in the Most Embarrassing Things thread awhile back...

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2020 10:19 PM

When Queen Elizabeth II came to Boston in the summer of 1976, our family was introduced to her. My father had grown up and attended school with Tip O'Neill and Tip had arranged for us to be part of the receiving line. Her Majesty could not have been more gracious, warm and friendly. She had the most beautiful skin and while we didn't engage in much of a conversation beyond her asking where we lived (New Hampshire), it was, up to that point, one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2020 10:29 PM

I saw Lon Chaney Junior walking with the Queen, doin’ the Werewolves of London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2020 10:43 PM

Not royal, but I was almost run down by the late Duke of Marlborough when I was walking around the grounds at Blenheim Palace. He gave me an apologetic look.

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2020 10:52 PM

I live in London so I've seen many of them.

I once met Andrew at a party. He beelined for the girl I was with. I think he got her number. He was quite friendly with me. He teased me because I kept telling people I'd ring them (but I never did). I was about 18.

The Queen numerous times. On a school outing for the opening of parliament in 1970. We were told to wave our caps when she went by in her coach and she smiled at us. She really glittered like a star. She had her own sort of beauty at that age. I once saw Elizabeth Taylor at a party in the 80s and I saw a similar thing with her. She shimmered. She was at the party to raise money for AIDS. She stood up and spoke. She was really something.

Princess Diana many times...always in a car.

Charles & Camilla. I happened to be somewhere and they arrived to open something. Same with Anne.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote] I happened to be somewhere and they arrived to open something.

Was it a Tesco?

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2020 10:58 PM

LOL. No. The British Film Institute, as it happens.

There was a policewoman I spoke to. I said "What's the fuss, who's coming?" She said "no one....no one at all". Anyway I joined the gathering of people to watch the shenanigans and in walked C&C. I noticed the policewoman was now behind me so I said "You lied to me!" and she said "Yes, I know" and laughed.

by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2020 11:06 PM

I was visiting London on vacay in 2012. It was a chilly, gloomy day with sprinkles intermittently, so we decided to see changing og the guard at B'ham Palace. But wne we got there the streets were blocked off and there were people standing at the barricades not a lot of people, so we were able to slide in to the gathering andget up close to the barricade. I'm talking about those low metal horses they use for crows control. Nothing heavy. Anyway there were soldiers dressed in red with those big black hats on, and people told us the Queen was opening PArliament and would be coming back to the palace shortly. We waited. The Household Cavalry is a thing of beauty. I'm talking about magnificent horses and the soldiers were just amazing. True Pageantry. And then came her carriage. It was enclosed. She waved to the crowds and so did Phil. He wasn't sure where he was, IMO. But they waved the royal wave. You know, where you raise the arm from the elbow, and slowly rotate the wrist. She looked very alert, and looked towards us without really looking "at" anyone. I also saw other members off the RF. Princess Anne was in a closed car. Don't remember seeing Chuck. Just Betty and Phil and her Lady in Waiting, and random others. I wish I had known more about the extended family so could have identified more of them.

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2020 11:10 PM

I saw the Queen in Singapore in 1971? I was in the Peace Corps, two week vacation. She was in an open carriage, 100% humidity and she looked totally exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2020 11:14 PM

I saw the Queen in NYC in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2020 11:19 PM

I watched her Concorde land at an airport I was working at back in the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2020 11:23 PM

My experiene pales in comparison, but I saw Queen Rania of Jordan at The Hofburg in Vienna. We had just stepped out of the Silver Collection Museum. A small motorcade had parked nearby in the cobblestone plaza and an entourage of people surrounded Rania as she entered the building next door. She was quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2020 1:15 AM

No, she wasn't U.K. royalty, but it was the closest I'll likely get to royalty of any kind!!

by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2020 1:17 AM

Did Rania look as heavily made up as her photographs suggest? She often looks like she’s wearing heavy theatrical makeup at some public events, which makes sense considering she is usually on a stage (of sorts) but it must be quite jarring in person.

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2020 4:44 AM

[quote]it sure glittered and was expensive.

How much?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2020 5:00 AM

I worked on the royal trust gala concert years ago and met Charles and his horse faced wife. They were very polite but formal.

by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2020 5:02 AM

Princess Anne graciously allowed me to use her hair as a scouring pad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2020 5:04 AM

No, but I was a foot away from Pope John Paul. I am not catholic. Everyone else around me touched him, with their rosaries. I was oddly afraid, and had no beads. When I entered the Vatican some guys said some shit in Italian that I didn’t understand. I said Si to everything they asked. They brought me to the front of the church, and the pope came by. I grew up baptist, but I did get chills when he walked by. I felt unworthy to touch him.

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2020 5:16 AM

R66 here. My mom’s BFF’s brother was ambassador to a country (not telling) during the Bush (W) administration. She went on a week long yacht excursion with Fergie and Andrew. She had nothing nice to say about them, but she really liked W. She said that he was funny and charming. I kind of believe her. She is a fun drunk.

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2020 5:22 AM

I was there at the same State opening in 2012 as r56. I just thought I'd walk through Green Park to get to the National Gallery and found myself amid all these crowds, wondering what was going on. I remember how she literally glowed in all white and diamonds inside her ornate gold carriage and seemed to look straight at us at one point. Beautiful sunny day and everyone was so happy to see her. It was a fantastic procession of gorgeous horses and their riders in impressive uniforms. The whole thing was great. It was a completely by chance that I chose that route that day but I was so glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2020 5:26 AM

R66, popes are elected monarchs. They may not have royal blood, but they have absolute authority within the Vatican City state. They even have coronations after they're elected

by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2020 5:27 AM

Monarchs are not elected, r69, so no, the Pope is not a monarch, even though Vatican City is it's own 'country' as it were.

by Anonymousreply 70May 18, 2020 5:29 AM

R70, see link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 18, 2020 5:33 AM

I jumped the fence at Buck House and walked right into the private apartments. Her Maj was so fetching in a fab little dressing gown. We sat up and talked for hours! Then they dragged me away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2020 6:09 AM

Saw the Queen at one of the garden parties. It was a very hot day and we had been to the pub before. Sat down and nodded off. Got a hefty tap on the shoulder and had to stand up as a very small lady walked past.

Used to see Diana a lot on Kensington Church St and Kensington High St as I lived in the area. I was once looking to see why the traffic was all snarled up and I noticed it was because her outriders had got too far ahead. She saw me looking and mimed a ‘Sorry ! ‘ gesture.

by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2020 6:44 AM

R65, that picture of Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise reminds me of Gary Oldman's Dracula.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2020 3:23 PM

R71, see this exactly the kind of thing that Tyrion proposed on this very day exactly one year ago. It won't work.

by Anonymousreply 75May 19, 2020 3:25 PM

not British, nor royal. But I met Prince Albert of Monaco at Sotheby’s in NYC years ago, he was attending for the opening of an exhibit of his mother’s jewels and other memorabilia. Very unaffected, very softly spoken, not even a trace of any Continental accent, he could have been anybody.

by Anonymousreply 76May 19, 2020 3:26 PM

I shot my "babies" deep inside HRH Prince Edward ..(Princess a, thats what I called him) lots of times when he was working in NYC for Andrew Lloyd Webber. I've told this story several times here(a lot of HOT Unions workers-stagehands had him too).. "Champagne Charlie" Spencer(Princess Diana's brother) was drunk-coked alot in the 1980's(pretty versatile back then). HRH Princess Margaret was a "horror show" back in the late 80's early 90's. Drunk, rude, entitled snobby, snotty aging badly CUNT.. . I sat beside her or at the table with her at several parties over the years. What a nightmare she was; tried to be mean to me, but she was sooo sad and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2020 3:41 PM

R77 if you're not a fake or a parody poster, you definitely have stories to tell.....well???

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2020 3:51 PM

Yes. Saw the Queen twice, both times by happenstance.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2020 3:53 PM

R68, yes she was all sparkling and glowy. I loved the carriage too. I think it was black and gold. REally authentically Royal in every way. But I remember the day as being damp and cloudy, maybe it was on and off. It's funny how it all happened isn't it? We had no idea she was opening Parliament. We were just tourist and still finding our footing in terms of planning the day, and one of my friends said well, lets go watch the changing of the guard at B'ham palace, so we jumped in a cab and boom, there she was.

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2020 4:01 PM

I saw the Queen and Princess Anne arrive at a daytime workplace function when Anne was in her late teens. It was a very small gathering of onlookers so I got a good look. Anne was considerably more beautiful IRL than in photos/videos. Lord Snowdon later did her justice with the engagement photos.

by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2020 4:18 PM

R77 so Princess a was a bareback cumdump at the height of AIDS, long before PrEP and even tri-therapy?

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2020 4:21 PM

Anne would look OK right now if she updated her hairstyle and got rid of the frizz. She also needs a much better moisturizer. Her skin looks all wrinkled and dry. She must just wash her face with harsh soap then a little powder and rouge. I would LOVE to give her a make over.

by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2020 4:32 PM

Anne is a countrywoman. Let her be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2020 4:50 PM

Friend saw Diana years ago in a concert hall in London. Two things about her he noticed: how tall she was and how big her nose was!

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2020 4:56 PM

In 1984 I was in London walking near Clarence House, when a Rolls or Bentley slowly drove out of the gates. The Queen Mother was in the back seat, and the window was half open. I saw her grab the window to pull herself up in the seat. She smiled and waved.

About fifteen years ago I was living in London on Grays Inn Road. I joined a Cannons gym which was located in the basement of Goodenough College. When I had finished my early morning workout, I found a great many police on Guilford Street, and they cut off traffic. A policeman would not tell me who it was for, but I stuck around. The Queen was paying a call on the College for its anniversary. Saw her from a distance. She was tiny thing.

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2020 6:20 PM

Not that I really care but if Edward was the raging party bottom you're suggesting, why wouldn't he have come out? By the time he married he had slid MANY spots down the succession and could have lived a very comfortable life taking it up the ass. Seems weird.

by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2020 6:42 PM

Maybe Sweet Eddie is taking it up the ass on the regular. He and his wife seem comfortable with one another and he seems like a good father. By now they have reached some kind of arrangement. I believe they love one another in their way and they have a good life.

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2020 9:49 PM

R49

Can you repeat the story, please.

by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2020 12:59 AM

For [R89]:

I was staying in London for a few days, on my way to a new job in Germany. I saw that a new stage version of Doctor Dolittle was getting ready to open. The Dolittle books were favorites as a kid, and I loved the Rex Harrison film. I had one slot open to see it in previews, so I called the theatre. Lo and behold, they said they were sold out, but while I was on the phone they got one return ticket for the performance I wanted to see. I booked it and was thrilled. The theatre was out in Hammersmith, and it was raining, so I ended up not going back to my hotel to change -I just headed to the theatre in jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jacket. When I got there, I saw red carpets and velvet ropes set up. I went into the lobby to get my ticket and got quite a few funny looks. It turns out that the performance was a royal charity gala, with Charles, William, and Harry in attendance. Everyone was in black tie. Women in gowns with tiaras. And me. I asked if they would refund the (expensive) ticket as I had no idea it was a special performance and wasn't dressed appropriately -They said they thought I knew, and that was why I had requested that performance. They said I was fine, and that not everyone would be dressed formally (a polite lie). I slinked into my seat, zipped up the jacket to cover my t-shirt, which I discovered had a small hole from someone's cigarette ash earlier in the day), and prayed for the lights to go down. The people around me were as polite as could be, and I explained my situation. At the interval I stayed in my seat. After the show, the audience was asked to wait for the royals to leave, and then we were ushered through a single exit. That turned out to be a receiving line where everyone got to meet the princes. The two boys were bored but dutiful. I swear Charles visibly blanched when I came by. I imagined him later admonishing his sons never to appear in public as I had...

There's a sequel: About three months later I was on a break from work, and visiting a friend in England. We decided to go to visit Powys Castle. When we got there a royal standard was flying, indicating a royal was staying there. Since it was an open day, we were confident that all the VIPs were holed up somewhere and we wouldn't see anyone. But going around a corner in the garden we just missed bumping into Charles and his entourage. He looked at me intently, like he recognized me, before he was ushered off. Only later did I realize I was wearing the exact same jeans, t-shirt, and jacket that I had worn to the theatre on the previous visit.

by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2020 1:19 AM

Great story, R90!

by Anonymousreply 91May 20, 2020 1:51 AM

Yes, R62, she wore very heavy make-up, like what you would expect from someone on stage.

by Anonymousreply 92May 20, 2020 3:04 AM

Years ago when I was temporarily living in London, I was coming out of Hyde Park, waiting to cross the street. A black car, like a London taxi went whizzing by. It had this little flippy crown thing on the front edge of the roof. I'd never seen or heard of the royal cars having this emblem but immediately knew what it was. As it passed, I could seen through the back window and I swear I recognized the back of Prince Charles' neck. This all happened in a split second and it couldn't have been a taxi. I've spent a lot of time in London and the rest of the UK over the years but that's as close as I've come to seeing anyone royal. Pathetic, I know.

by Anonymousreply 93May 20, 2020 3:47 AM

R93 The Duke of Edinburgh had a London cab converted for his use, back in the days when he was still allowed to drive. Maybe it was him? Apparently he drove it as he was licensed to drive himself and, being a London cab instead of a Bentley or Rolls, it afforded him some anonymity.

by Anonymousreply 94May 20, 2020 6:08 AM

Harry and Meghan came to my workplace when they did their NZ tour. When i was a child my mum (who is British) used to drag the whole family out to wave a a passing car whenever a Royal did a tour here.

by Anonymousreply 95May 20, 2020 6:47 AM

[quote]Only later did I realize I was wearing the exact same jeans, t-shirt, and jacket that I had worn to the theatre on the previous visit.

To this day he probably thinks you were an agent of some kind who only had one set of "casual everyday I'm not a spy I swear" clothes and he cleverly sussed you out.

by Anonymousreply 96May 20, 2020 7:02 AM

I saw Queen Elizabeth in 1976. She came to Boston for the Bicentennial celebrations. There was a parade in town Boston. She walked with Mayor Kevin White right down Congress Street that runs in front of Faneuil Hall. Very exciting. I don't think the public would be allowed to get as close to her nowadays as we did back then. Different era.

by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2020 7:44 AM

Two run-ins with British Royals:

1. Was standing in line at a Wal- Mart in St. Petersburg Florida on Black Friday when I realized that Fergie was standing a few feet ahead of me with a binder of coupons and a couple of bags of empty soda cans. She kept muttering something about a budget and “Lizzie is so hard to buy for”.

2. Saw Diana bent over a toilet in a lady’s room at a Cracker Barrel in Kingsport, Tn. She said she thought she had food poisoning, but index finger said she had a dress fitting the next morning.

by Anonymousreply 98May 20, 2020 7:45 AM

R97 = old

by Anonymousreply 99May 20, 2020 12:06 PM

I’m guessing it wasn’t hard to bump into the Queen if you lived in the UK. I was there for a year as an exchange student in the ‘90s and I saw her twice. It’s a relatively compact island nation and I got them impression that she did an endless stream of public events. One of the times I saw her she was wearing a furry purple coat with a red hat. Years later I thought I might have dreamed that combination, but the internet confirms she did indeed wear that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 20, 2020 12:40 PM

I've never seen the Queen. If you blink, then you miss her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 20, 2020 2:08 PM

I was once in Harrods record department in the '70s, I guess, and in came Princess Margaret with her BF Roddy whatisname. She was wearing a brown fur coat. Some old guy salesperson was making a big fuss of her, showing her around. It looked odd that she was unable to find her way around a record department. That she needed so much guidance.

by Anonymousreply 102May 20, 2020 2:09 PM

Oh how funny, r94, that could've been it.

by Anonymousreply 103May 21, 2020 3:10 AM

I regret that I was too young to have ever seen Princess Margaret. All reports point to her being a first class bitch.

by Anonymousreply 104May 21, 2020 3:39 AM

The only one worth seeing was Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 105May 21, 2020 3:50 AM

Agreed, r105. The rest of them are trash, excluding the queen of course.

by Anonymousreply 106May 21, 2020 6:16 AM

I saw the Queen, Prince Charles and Camilla at last year's games at the Braemar Gathering. The Queen and members of the Royal Family attend each year because it is located very near Balmoral, just up the road.

The Queen looked radiant as she got out of the car and walked up to the Royal Box. (Charles and Camilla - not so much.) I was seated in the section next to their box and probably watched them more than the games.

I also saw Dame Judi Dench there as well. She has played Victoria a couple times now. Does she count?

by Anonymousreply 107May 21, 2020 6:45 AM

This isn't about meeting or seeing them in person, but more about Death. I was thinking with the pandemic going on, Prince Philip could die tomorrow and they could just freeze him and never tell us.

by Anonymousreply 108May 23, 2020 1:05 AM

His sister Pam works in a shop, She never stops, she's a go getter. Takes him out to look at the Queen, Only place that he's ever been. Always shouts out something obscene, Such a dirty old man, dirty old man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 23, 2020 1:26 AM

Philip and the Queen have taken the malaria meds every day since they were 20.

85% of their lives is meeting African and Indian leaders.

by Anonymousreply 110May 23, 2020 10:19 AM

University of Chicago in 1978 or so. I was on campus about 7 at night, and as I exited a building there were three guys coming towards the door, so I held it to keep it from slamming shut on them. It was Prince Charles and two security guys. Charles reached out to catch the door and thanked me for holding it. I said something like "no problem" and we all went our separate ways.

I was dimly aware of the fact that he was in town, and I think I even knew he was planning to be on campus to give a speech or something, but it took 10 or 15 seconds for my brain connect the dots, and by that time he was long gone.

by Anonymousreply 111May 23, 2020 11:29 AM

No thank god

by Anonymousreply 112May 23, 2020 11:42 AM

At the World Wildlife Fund headquarters in Switzerland I quickly turned the corner into the stairwell (the elevator was not working so all were obliged to use the stairs) and slammed directly into Prince Phillip who was associated with the fund We were both politely appologetic. What a very tiny stick of a man. He looked frail even then and this was in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 113May 23, 2020 12:44 PM

r113, not doubting your story, but Prince Philip is 6 foot tall. Do you mean he's a "tiny stick of a man" in terms of being very lean?

by Anonymousreply 114May 24, 2020 8:27 AM

Yes. Zara Tindall at an event for her husband. Surrounded by bodyguards.

I had assumed she was beautiful but was surprised at how horsy and plain she is.

by Anonymousreply 115May 24, 2020 8:43 AM

I think R113 is mistaking Philip for Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands, consort of the then-Queen of The Netherlands, who was a slight sized man and was passionate about the WWF.

by Anonymousreply 116May 24, 2020 9:43 PM

Prince Philip is a perfect example of only the good die young. The old fart should have kicked the bucket years ago, especially since it is widely suspected that he is the one that ordered the hit on Diana.

by Anonymousreply 117May 24, 2020 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!