Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How badly has COVID 19 affected you?

I’ve been unemployed and haven’t received my checks yet. I have been burning candles to save electricity and living off canned tuna and frozen vegetables.

What about you guys?

by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2020 10:33 PM

Are you serious, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2020 9:42 PM

I haven’t fucked ass since I broke quarantine last week.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2020 9:47 PM

R1 dead serious. I’ve had a rough time.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2020 9:51 PM

Finally got my $1250 check in the mail. Drop in the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2020 9:51 PM

😢

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2020 9:52 PM

Not sure just yet. I think I have it. I’ve had the dry cough for 50 days. I had a neg test on 5/4, but I think that was a false test. Today I woke with a fever and chills. So, it all depends, on what happens next, but I am glad to be getting on with it, I am hopeful that after a short period of fever and light fatigue and aches, that it leaves me, and leaves me immune.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2020 9:52 PM

Good luck Pierre!

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2020 9:54 PM

I'm sorry you're struggling Collinboy. Are there any foodbanks open near you? Try to get some help, as you need to keep your strength up, and your immune system strong in the face of this virus. Try to apply for food benefits. If you lived nearby, and you dared to go out, I would invite you for tea and dinners.

I'm retired, so doing OK moneywise, but am worried a bit about my partner. I'm depressed as well. Sometimes I even feel a bit hopeless at times.

We're too new for me to pry, but I don't think he's as secure as I happen to be. He's an electrician, and much younger... and not working much. He still has not received his cheque from Trump either.

Pierre, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery, and do hope you're taking your vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2020 10:02 PM

OP a single LED bulb would probably cost less to run than candles. Your biggest electricity/energy users are typically the heat/ac, refrigerator, and hot water heater. Lighting costs with LEDs and CFs is minimal.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2020 10:15 PM

I've been quarantined for 20 days so far. Every other day I feel okay but then I'll get symptoms and am sure I've got it. I've called my doc but he didn't think I need to be tested as of a week ago. We have free testing without referral now so I might just get the test. I honestly wish I'd test positive so I could get this over with. The way I feel now, I'm afraid to 'un-quarantine' myself in case I'm carrying the virus. This is nuts.

OP, please continue taking your vitamins. I hope your check comes soon and you can get some nutritious food delivered. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2020 10:27 PM

R10, what’s your name?

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2020 10:56 PM

i am in regretful sobriety watching my loved ones die around me.

other than that, tickledy-boo.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2020 11:01 PM

I am okay, I have taken a side gig delivering for goPuff, it is actually kind of fun. I am otherwise self-employed and biz has completely come to a standstill.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2020 11:08 PM

Brown rice. Vegetables. Sold the Ver-SAYSE. Social distancing has kept me from copulapoolating with the bigwig and I have not been able to be a whore, darlin.

I hate Vegas and I'm heading to Hollywood. I just KNOW I'll have a sequel there! Right??

But quit whining about the Rona. Just step up and get a KICK out of that old virus. To me it's just one more on top of the others!

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2020 11:16 PM

R11 Pete. And that's as far as I'm going!

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2020 11:18 PM

I think I saw a squirrel with Covid this morning. It was making this weird sound and seemed acting out of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2020 11:19 PM

I'm trying not to complain as I still have my health. I live on my own so the loneliness has been the biggest issue. My dad who was in hospital the week of lockdown has been staying with my sister and BiL. My BiL is a key worker so has been going out to work every day. I was invited to stay with them for lockdown but declined for the sake of my sanity, though I kind of regret that now.

I'm on 30% pay which is going to make things difficult, and I work in a customer-facing job with a shitty commute involving every form of public transport which will be a nightmare to go back to. Well I know I said I'm trying not to complain, but yeah, I'm complaining cos I'm lonely and am finding going out quite stressful.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2020 11:29 PM

I've had to cut back on my fine dining and luxury travel.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2020 11:29 PM

R16 Poor squirrel!

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2020 11:45 PM

I feel like a pig after reading OP's situation.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 11:47 PM

R17 Good luck with getting on back to work. At least in your loneliness you have some sympathetic souls on DL.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 11:47 PM

No way at all.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 11:56 PM

Sometimes squirrels accidentally get drunk, by eating something that had fermented.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2020 11:58 PM

R23 Sure hope that's the case here. Several mink farms have infected animals: Minnesota, and Norway.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2020 12:04 AM

Urban squirrels were hungry. This might improve soon. Feed it.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2020 12:07 AM

My ass hurts because there’s a charmin shortage and I’ve had to wipe with shitty toilet paper

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2020 12:13 AM

R26 You’re supposed to flush the toilet paper once it’s shitty. You may have an infection. See a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2020 12:14 AM

I a,ready told about my brother in law who died from it. Funeral tomorrow, cars at cemetery, no one allowed out of cars. My mother in law is driving us crazy. She can’t go to the “funeral” because she’s in quarantine (she lived with him) and she’s calling my husband 50. 60 times a day. It’s no wonder my bro in law was schizophrenic. She’s not alone. She has a 24 hour home aide who is more like a friend to her & she is staying with her. They’re both quarantined & nearby friends are doing the food shopping. I feel very bad for her, but you can’t call someone 17 times an hour. I think she needs a sedative, but she’s 90 and Drs are afraid to prescribe one for someone that old.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2020 12:31 AM

Yes, R28, I recall reading your story earlier. Please accept my condolences.

My grandmother was inconsolable on only one occasion, when she was maybe 85. She had cataract surgery in both eyes, and was just losing it. Then I just sat on the chair arm, and hugged her, and she calmed down, and wept a little.

I imagine your mother in law is craving human touch, and can’t get it, because of the times. The doctors should be impressed upon that she needs anti-anxiety medication or you’ll file a complaint. And mean it. Most doctors I know become more free with the drugs when the patient is older.

I’m sorry but hang in there as best you can. I hope it’s something that draws you closer to your bf and not pulls you apart.

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2020 12:52 AM

My partner was furloughed and I took at 10% pay cut...by some strike of good luck, we paid off the only debt we had the day they told us to start working from home. Very lucky so far and hoping to just ride it out but both our jobs are in advertising (mine in production, his in ops) so imagine our luck will run out eventually.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2020 12:52 AM

Just work from home! That's what everyone is doing now.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]I have been burning candles to save electricity

I light this candle and watch it throw....tears on my pillow

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2020 1:15 AM

Oh, Pete, R15, live a little! Tell us about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2020 1:19 AM

My husband and I are EXTREMELY lucky. Other than working from home 100%, the only other impacts to our lives are so trivial they’re not worth mentioning. I feel for everyone struggling in these times. We are a leaderless nation, relying on state governors to handle a national problem, with Democratic governors trying to protect their people and Republican governors trying to protect the economy. I really worry for the future of our democracy.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2020 1:34 AM

My partner was let go from his job, with a 2 week severance. Not much. He had just started collecting Social Security last year when he turned 66, and got a whole year in of working with his moderate salary, and put money in his bank. I rescued him over 5 years ago, from foreclosure, and horrible late credit card payment issues. He was not going so good. I got his credit card score up from about 580, to around 760 now. Since he worked till his actual SS retirement year, he was not penalized on his salary he earned last year. While we would of like for him to continue working and banking the money, he is collecting unemployment (weeks taken away for the severance payout), but he hasn't collected a dime yet as he has not received his debit card for unemployment funds. It's been over 6 weeks. I can't imagine anyone who was desperate for food, or living expenses. He is eligible for the $600 kick from the stimulas, so he is back to banking all his SS. He will eventually get a job once unemployment runs out. It's sure to get extended a couple of times. He will only be able to get a moderate wage job. I don't want him to take on a job that will run him ragged. Just something low stress. I am still working, again moderate salary from today's standards, and was considered an essential worker and I have been in the public eye this whole time. It would be a kick in the ass if I were to get the covid-19, and bring it home to him, or my 88 year old mother. Wear a fucking mask, and wash your fucking hands.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2020 1:42 AM

I fortunately have been considered an essential worker and am able to telework. This may delay my retirement, but I am doing OK right now. A career change five years ago has turned out to be a life saver.

I am an an introvert, so being alone hasn't been that stressful. Not being able to see friends and doing some socializing makes me a bit concerned about continuing the isolation just because it's the new norm and it's easier for me.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2020 2:17 AM

Well if anyone of you want to talk more in depth offline we can kik. Quarantine can get lonely

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2020 3:12 AM

Colin, did I see a pic of you posted in another thread?

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2020 3:26 AM

Work is okay but the deaths are getting to me. So far, it has taken my former spouse’s father, a close friend from work, the husband of a coworker (we used to hang out together), a neighbor and two uncles. The uncles went within 6 days of each other, almost as if they needed to be together. A good friend died suddenly just before the holidays. Perfectly healthy and then was taken to hospital where he died after 2 days in the icu on a ventilator. Now our friends group is wondering if his was a COVID-19 death. These are scary days. And to think the Spanish flu had three waves, not just two.

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2020 3:44 AM

It's awful. I was laid off before COVID, and my unemployment has run out. . I was in the midst of a job search, which came to a halt. Even when things open up, most companies are not hiring. There are now 36 million people unemployed--and a huge number of them will be laid off permanently. I don't know where to turn. It's a terrible situation.

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2020 5:48 AM

Not too bad. Furloughed until July. Receiving regular big gov't stimulus cheques plus vacation pay plus unemployment. Online shopping, home improvement, and quality time with pets. Sunny days at my local gay beach where here is plenty of hard dick on offer.

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2020 6:00 AM

where is that beach. I need some

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2020 6:06 AM

May I take a moment to crow about one of the benefits of age: “experience”? It’s not easy to learn from experience. Most if the time, we want validation and don’t welcome contradiction. But when we do learn, it is sweet, when it isn’t too painful.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2020 12:39 PM

A freelancer whose work stopped completely on March 13. Husband doesn’t work. No money coming in, which makes me crazy, but have enough savings to last about 6 months. Hate not knowing what lies beyond that. Selling all my old collections on eBay and enjoying that. Feeling the need to let things go, to be lighter, freer, just in case. Trying to be calm and go with the flow. None of us know what comes next. And maybe, there will be a positive side to this reset. It’s all so fucking strange, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2020 1:11 PM

I'm run ragged.

Covid struck right in the middle of a home renovation marathon. (this week's assignment is to move my house into the garage while my floors are sanded

I'm an essential worker and keep getting dragged in for overtime.

One of my clients has a brain tumour and I've been voluntold I'm his "designated visitor" which means I am his only visitor allowed in the hospital. So even on my rare days off I need to drop in on the poor bugger or he gets no visitors that day.

Right now I wash I could get furloughed for a couple of weeks so I can catch up on sleep.

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2020 1:17 PM

R38 yes I got pics. They’re attached here.

I’m sorry for the rest of you guys. Death is not fun at all

At least some if you have jobs and a person to come home to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2020 1:36 PM

I was supposed to get a new convertible when we arrived back from Safari but now I’m SOL. Not buying something I can test drive first. Fml

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2020 1:48 PM

Cannot

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2020 1:49 PM

I'm a musician, so after thirty years in the business my career is effectively over, possibly forever

Jury is still out on whether performances will ever be safe again

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2020 1:49 PM

A lot of us are strapped for cash and yes, I highly recommend going to a food bank. But if you can afford it, here is a suggestion: Make a list of absolute, bare necessities and stock them. I would include Peanut butter and those very large two pound boxes of oatmeal. Yes, canned Tuna, and dry beans and brown rice. Garlic, onions and sweet potatoes, and get fresh vegetables. The ones that don't spoil too fast, like Broccoli, brussel sprouts, and carrots.

As for spices and herbs, get cumin, basil,oregano, garlic powder, chili powder, and crushed red pepper. Also cinnamon and brown sugar. Now, a lot of us need to eat desserts. They're expensive. So get some pie crust. That frozen pie crust at the supermarket. Get canned pie filling, ( fresh apples last a long time so buy some Granny Smiths.)

Buy a few boxes of cake mixes. You can use them to make cookies. Oh, and get yourself some shredded cheese and two dozen eggs. Milk is cheap. Get some, but also get two or three cans of condensed milk for an emergency. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2020 1:55 PM

I'm quarantining, rarely leave the house except to go for a walk or to the store. I am doing a lot better staying in t ouch with family. We Zoom. I had a close family friend die from this, and it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2020 1:57 PM

It’s affected my mental health in that I am enraged at all the doomsdayers out there ruining life for us.

But now I’m on Klonopin!

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2020 1:57 PM

R50 I got less than $100 in my account. Dessert is not an essential item either.

R47 convertibles are fun they need fixing. I hope it’s not a Buick convertible either.

R49 I’m super sorry about your entire lives passion. Hopefully you can get in again.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2020 2:05 PM

R53 Mercedes or BMW. Who buys a BUICK???

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2020 2:26 PM

I think Tommi DiDario was selling Buick’s at one point.

by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2020 2:35 PM

what's your onlyfan page OP? I can subscribe your channel if you create quality contents

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2020 2:47 PM

I'm tele commuting to work, I do miss seeing and working with my colleagues. I miss going to the gym.

On the other hand, I've saved money from commuting. Gas prices are cheaper too and I'm using less. I'm eating out a lot less.

by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2020 3:01 PM

I am self employed, and Illinois just got their website up and running for self employed people who can’t earn money because of the virus. They make you file for regular unemployment, just as if you worked for an employer. That application will then be denied and once denied you may then use that denial to apply for unemployment through a separate portal they created for self employed. It will take several more weeks before they make a decision on your application. By the time that happens, I will have been without income for 3 months. And this is in a state controlled by the Democratic Party!

Other states quickly had a system for self employed. Illinois is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2020 3:04 PM

Personally, not much. Still working the same job, same pay, but a lot of things are more expensive and harder to find. The worst part for me is all the people not following the pandemic guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2020 3:17 PM

[quote] He will eventually get a job once unemployment runs out.

No he won’t. Nobody is going to hire a 66 year old on SS when they can hire one of the millions of unemployed young people.

by Anonymousreply 60May 17, 2020 3:24 PM

R60 I will

by Anonymousreply 61May 17, 2020 3:52 PM

Good post

by Anonymousreply 62May 17, 2020 8:16 PM

You're wrong. If a person gets SS & Medicare they're a great hire. You don't have to pay them what a younger person demands, they are very reliable, and All they need is supplemental health insurance rather than expecting the employer to provide healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2020 8:36 PM

Car and mortgage paid off, plenty of food in the pantry, hot man at my side.

I could do this for several more months.

by Anonymousreply 64May 17, 2020 8:42 PM

Ok, ready for this? My brother in law who died of covid was buried today. No funeral h9me visitation allowed. Everyone at the cemetery wore masks & gloves. His cousin’s son & daughter show up ....LATE.... and get out I& the car, no masks, no gloves.

Refused to wear a mask & gloves & the son starts spouting some bullshit about NY state law says he doesn’t have to wear a mask, or anything else he doesn’t want to wear.

STARTING. POLITICAL. TROUBLE. IN. A. FUCKING. GRAVEYARD

That’s all they went there for. To start trouble at a dead man’s grave.

by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2020 8:59 PM

R65, how is your husband bearing up? It sounds overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2020 2:22 AM

Christmas Moose here. Feeling much better today with no fever and a clear head. My friend is doing fine. Momma is sitting on him to keep him warm. Signing off. Roger, rover and out.

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2020 3:01 AM

I won't be able to see my elderly parents in France this year. Had tickets, but had to cancel. Parents are in their 80's.

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2020 3:05 AM

I hear you OP. It is hard. I am unemployed right now as well and have been steadily emptying my savings account and definitely scared about what happens when it hits zero. The tentative job I had lined up for May was pushed to June and now they aren't answering emails so I am not hopeful that will happen.

Do you have family or friends who would help out if they knew how rough it was for you? I am grateful to have people who have been helping me out and while I am watching every penny and eating through my pantry, I am not quite at the point of candles. Turn to those around you. It means swallowing your pride but people feel good when they help others.

by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote] [R65], how is your husband bearing up? It sounds overwhelming

He said, “That’s it. Everyone leave. I’m not fighting with a shithead at my brother’s grave.”

He wanted to deck the shithead but he knew the shithead would press charges, because that’s what he’s all about. Causing trouble.

by Anonymousreply 70May 18, 2020 3:06 AM

Remember, OP has never worked a day in his life. He is a "freelance model" who has gone through SIX to SEVEN sugar daddies and he is not even 30 yet! He is a whore.

It just shows that looks will not get you far in life; because of his insatiability with money, he is in this predicament.

I have no sympathy for him.

by Anonymousreply 71May 18, 2020 1:32 PM

So, I‘ve felt fine today, but that dry cough is just under the surface, waiting for a trigger. A trigger is any fine particulate, such as dust; dry coffee grinds; saw dust; bread crumbs, peanut dust, that kind of thing. That causes me to cough. A dry cough is weird. I don’t recall having had one ever before. It feels entirely pointless. No fever today.

by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2020 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!