Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'It eats him alive inside': Trump's latest attack shows endless obsession with Obama

'It eats him alive inside': Trump's latest attack shows endless obsession with Obama

The president seems more interested in blaming his predecessor than tackling the coronavirus – so what’s driving Trump’s fixation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 4, 2020 2:00 PM

Bankruptcies: Trump many, Obama 0. Divorces: Trump 2, Obama 0 Rumors of inappropriate extramarital affairs: Trump many, Obama 0. Number of wives who have posed nude: Trump 1, Obama 0. Fathers who were millionaires and made the road easier for their sons: Trump 1, Obama 0. Numbers of impeachment: Trump 1, Obama 0.

I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2020 1:39 PM

If Obama and Seth Meyers could travel back in time, would they roast Trump?

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2020 1:42 PM

Jealousy

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2020 1:44 PM

What drives his obsession?

Three guesses.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2020 1:44 PM

That absolutely hilarioius assassination at the correspondents dinner. God that was a sight to behold.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2020 1:46 PM

R2, if Dump could travel back in time, would his fat ass run for President?

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2020 1:49 PM

R6 Great question! If he knew then what he knows now, no way would he run. In fact, I think he WANTS to lose this election so he can continue to complain about things he has no control over. He has no interest in leading; he just wants to live in the past and complain about stuff that means nothing now. He is incapable of moving forward.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2020 1:52 PM

Yes. POTUS gets lots and lots of free press.

POTUS is money grab for these grifters.

But his body language initiates he has given up and is in over his head.

This is his legacy, the end of the United States as a first world.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2020 1:53 PM

r6, he's obviously not up to being president and objectively speaking it was a terrible idea, but it does feed his narcissistic hunger to be treated like a god in a way he would never have experienced otherwise. The fact that he can actually get at least some of his followers to ingest toxic substances just by suggesting they do it must give him a sadistic thrill and the thought that masses of people will literally expose themselves to a potentially debilitating or fatal disease to please him probably gives him the closest thing to an erection that he's had in years.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2020 1:55 PM

He'll never be a fraction of the POTUS Obama was. And he has about 40 fewer IQ points.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2020 1:56 PM

If this is truly eating tRump alive, shouldn't he be dead soon?

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2020 1:56 PM

Obama is giving a commencement speech for high schoolers tonight that will be carried on all 4 major networks. I hope the orange turd blows a gasket. Expect another Twitter meltdown...oh, wait, he's already started. It's not like he has anything else to do except sit on his fat ass tweeting all day.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2020 1:59 PM

Trump needs someone to blame, and Obama was his predecessor so Trump knows he's always being compared to Obama. So Obama is an easy target. Obama is black, so Trump gets to show his racism for his racist base. Trump is stupid and out of his depth--and he knows it. Obama was well-liked and admired beyond Trump's base, and Trump is hated--and he knows it. Trump needs to tear down someone else so that he will look good. Trump inherited a good economy, but he won't acknowledge it or allow anyone to take credit other than himself. These are so many reasons Trump hates Obama, but Obama is a tough act to follow.

Bottom line, Jealousy. Trump is insanely jealous of Obama, and jealousy is one of the most destructive qualities. It tears a person apart and eats away at a person. Makes you bitter and unhappy, and never lets go of your brain, mind and feelings. When you're obsessed with Jealousy, it motivates every hateful, nasty thing you do--and you cannot stop. There is no cure for jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2020 2:00 PM

Eats him alive inside? But he's already dead on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2020 2:06 PM

I wonder whether or not Trump really DOES realize how much he is hated, and by so many people. The members of his sycophant circle wouldn't be around very long if they told him the truth.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2020 2:13 PM

Ugh, R9 is right, but it seems to be a staple of Fox News & repigs in general that they need a boogeyman to scare the masses into doing what they want (SHE'LL TAKE YOUR GUNS!!). Obama is the perfect foil for this because he's black - and well, let's face it, most of his supporters hate black people - and he & Michelle just in general represent the kind of people that his supporters hate. And let's face it, he has ****NO**** accomplishments to talk about, so what else does he have in his arsenal but to drag out Obama as the source of all evil?

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2020 2:14 PM

Before the virus, wasn't he taken credit for the booming economy which was largely due to Obama's initiatives?

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2020 2:16 PM

Envy

Racism

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2020 2:17 PM

Yes he's obsessed with Obama but he and the GOP know it's the best way to churn up the racists. That's the primary purpose.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2020 2:18 PM

Healp me! I'm am at the Camp Davids and Donald is tring to rape me. I tale him Donald, no more sexing after all these hoars you we're fucking, but he says yuo are my wive- it is you dooty. I'm am so frighten. I on the roof. Pleese HELP

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 2:57 PM

Obama is to Trump what Spiny Norman was to Dinsdale Pirhana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 3:10 PM

R20 Please stop with the bad Melania accent posts. Or keep them to less than six words. You don't capture the accent in your writing and -- after trying to decipher what you're saying -- your comments aren't funny.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 3:14 PM

Time to write 2 letters Dump!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2020 3:19 PM

R23 What a great clip! Where / what is it from, please?

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2020 3:31 PM

[quote] If Obama and Seth Meyers could travel back in time, would they roast Trump?

r2, What's the purpose of this question? What is implied by this question?

No, you don't owe me an accounting, but I'll account for my questions:

I've seen variations of the same question you've asked that suggest that the remarks made by Obama and Myers at that dinner somehow are to be faulted for Trump being the ignorant, despicable, bigoted, gelatinous, offensive, tub-of-repellant-lard that he is as the POTUS.

Because, as we've all known for decades, Trump's restraint and diplomacy when criticizing others from his fat ass seated on the side-lines, in his gaudy, gold-flecked Bark-a-Lounger, is only too well known.

Trump's a typical insecure coward- he can dish it out but he can't take it.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2020 3:36 PM

^ make that Carnival Bark-a-Lounger.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2020 3:38 PM

Obama was a crappy preaident anyways. Only wealthy and black people think he did a good job.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2020 3:44 PM

Ironically, if there weren't an Obama presidency, there wouldn't have been a Trump presidency. Maybe that's what he understands.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2020 3:47 PM

What a fucking child. Trump willing to kill 200,000 Americans in order to shift the blame to someone who left office over three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2020 3:47 PM

Jalousie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2020 3:49 PM

I wonder if Trump is going to have a state funeral or a private one? Because if it's a state funeral, it'll be president Obama getting to see Trump go into the ground first and he can snicker about it, LOL.

Trump wouldn't want that.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2020 3:51 PM

Lol, r28.

Ironically, the "Party of Personal Responsibility" wants even their own responsibility for, and volitional act of voting for a moron such as Trump, to be shifted to Obama.

The Black Guy should have saved you from yourself. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2020 3:52 PM

[quote] Obama was a crappy preaident anyways. Only wealthy and black people think he did a good job.

I am in neither of those categories and I think he was certainly the best president in my lifetime. He managed to stay scandal free for 8 years, if nothing else. Other countries respected us again after GWB. Now we are the laughingstock of the world.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2020 3:52 PM

Well, the coronavirus is heating up in rural America now. That's Trump's base, I wonder what he's going to not do for them?

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2020 3:53 PM

[quote]What a great clip! Where / what is it from, please?

The clip is from "Traffic".

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2020 3:56 PM

r34, my prediction is that when the deep South starts to overtake the Northeast as the most active COVID-19 region, the conspiracy theories will switch from "it's no worse than the flu" and "it only affects [ a type of person they don't care about]" to "the [fill in a demographic they hate] are deliberately infecting us with a special lethal strain" or "the [demographic they hate] are murdering us and making it look like COVID-19." They won't admit they were wrong and they won't admit the truth. They never do.

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2020 4:00 PM

R33, are you denying the hatred that a black President imbued? Do you honestly think that in any other election, Trump would have actually stood a chance, let alone win the Presidency? Absolutely, having Hillary Clinton as the opposition was like shooting fish in a barrel.

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Obama isn't responsible for the deaths of over 80,000 Americans through ineptitude and greed, and he'll always, ALWAYS have that over fat, emotionally pustulant Anusmouth.

Mr. T and his craven asslickers can spin and lie until they're in their graves but that's never going to change.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote] if Dump could travel back in time, would his fat ass run for President?

OR

If Trump could travel back in time, would he still loan money from Putin and become his bitch as a result?

His anger with Obama is just one layer of a stinky and rotten onion that's Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Trump is a successful scorched earth measure against Obama's two terms.

"They" would rather see the white house burned down than a black man in it. The white house is called the white house for a reason, ie, NO BLACKS!

This presidency has been in successful in rendering the US into a third world nation. Just like Putin planned?

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2020 4:10 PM

People thinking 45 would right mistakes, any mistakes, if he was able to 'go back' are fools. He would only use that opportunity to take more and destroy more, never FIX anything. This man learned nothing through how many bankruptcies? How many failed marriages? Look at his hair! He's orange, by choice!

He learns nothing. He is a blob of adipose, skin, greed and self-tanner. Things like that have no capacity to learn, only act in their own self-interest

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2020 4:10 PM

Also, Anusmouth is 300 lbs, bald and orange on a good day and Obama is thin and better looking. Obama also went to two Ivys on scholarship and didn’t have to buy his way in like Plump’s whole family.

Dump and his inner circle Nazi party are at camp David where they will no doubt watch Obama’s commencement address and make racist, shitty remarks. Any maid or cook who is on that detail should get their phones ready, cause that footage will be worth a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2020 4:11 PM

R21: Trump-dale!! TRUMP-DALE!!!!!!!

"Trump was a gentleman, and what's more, he knew how to treat a female impersonator"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2020 4:16 PM

"It's eating him alive inside!"

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2020 4:18 PM

Della you dumb cunt. You read the point of the question incorrectly. But you do you.

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2020 4:18 PM

To bad I'm not a multi billionaire. I would buy up billboards all around Trump properties and the white house blasting him relentlessly, partnering with the, "The Lincoln Project" listing president Obama's accomplishments Trumps failures as a so called "business man" his bankruptcies reminders of Stormy Daniels his accusers how his father gave him everything how he's a trust fund bitch, and that fact that he allegedly raped a 13 year old girl.

And I hope someone writes a book about Trump's jealousy of president Obama and that it sells crazy amounts of copies. That would probably kill him.

I just feel like antagonizing Trump isn't being done effectively enough. If I had the money I would be relentless in going after Trump. He nor his family would have any rest.

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2020 4:19 PM

Obama's two terms cleaned up Bush baby's mess, two wars, the largest terrorist attack on US soil and an economic recession.

Obama's quiet dignity will restore our spirits during this scary time of a mostly preventable health pandemic, the bumbling federal response and total economic recession.

That's gotta burn these people!

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2020 4:20 PM

The Orange shitgibbon is in for a world of hurt. First of all, Obama and Michele are giving that graduation spiel tonight and you know shitgibbon will not stand for it. Especially if the ratings are huge. Also, think about the fall when Obama really starts to campaign for Biden and gets great receptions everywhere he goes. Shitgibbon will lose his shit even further and will forget all about Biden and just tweet OBAMAGATE! 24/7. It's the perfect way to throw gasoline on his crazypants fire.

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2020 4:24 PM

Don't forget that the Obamas have become personal friends not only of Prince William, but of Her Maj herself. Whereas Trump got short shrift on his first visit, and the bare minimum on his second, and at least one royal (Princess Anne) "accidentally" let slip that she finds him a buffoon.

I don't think that sits very well with him. Which is absolutely lovely.

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2020 4:25 PM

R33,To normal people he was a total disappoinrment. His biggest concern was catering to the super wealthy and to Israel. And race baiting of course. The media never held his feet to the fire on anything but scandal free???

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]...that fact that he allegedly raped a 13 year old girl.

R46 I'm not defending the asswipe but is it a FACT or is it an ALLEGATION?

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2020 4:27 PM

R40 Crazy that's the case, when it was the ancestors of African Americans living today who built the White House in the first fucking place.

That house belongs even more so to black Americans then anyone else. And most of the white people screaming hate at Obama, are the decedent's of recent immigrants to America in the late 19th century and the 20th century coming through Ellis island in NYC.

They're bloodline dosen't go back that far in America. But the majority of black people in America have roots going back to the 1600s.

Most white people in America today can't say the same.

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote] If this is truly eating tRump alive, shouldn't he be dead soon?

Or at least thinner?

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2020 4:30 PM

Russian bots showed up here with their world salad. Russia a shite hole. The US being rendered into a third world nation by this presidency will not lift your continent up. You're broke too and even more broke now that crude oil is worthless and the US can't buy your shite.

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2020 4:30 PM

There aren't any major differences between Obama other than the media hates Trump and likes Obama. They're both equally lazy and racist. And they both lie.

If you think one's better than the other , you're a brainwahsed idiot and you need to turn off Rachel Maddow or whatever you watch and read a book.

by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2020 4:33 PM

This is a big problem with Flynn: If Flynn goes to prison, then it proves Obama was right to warn Trump and Trump was just too dense to listen.

Also, Rand Paul is a Russian agent. Exposing Flynn also leads to Rand Paul.

When Trump leaves office, these guys will have zero protection. There could be a lot of Congressmen suddenly retiring by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2020 4:34 PM

R50 What race baiting are you talking about. Your just making up shit now. Speaking truthfully about the ills of Americas history in a way former presidents did not, is not race baiting.

Your reaching really hard.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2020 4:34 PM

R57, The media claimed anyone who didn't like Obama was a racist for 8 years. It's not true. Some people don't like him because he was a shitty president with corporate interests instead of Americans nterests.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2020 4:37 PM

I'm expecting Bill Barr to bring up charges on Obama Administration people, so that they can have show trials this summer and gin up the Fox crowd. I wouldn't doubt that Trump has directed Barr to prosecute Obama, but I would think even Bill Barr would think that wouldn't fly. So they'll go after some lower hanging fruit--maybe Susan Rice (because she's a black woman, and hated by the Hannity/Fox crowd).

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2020 4:40 PM

If the President has absolute immunity as Trump claims, how can Obama be guilty of crimes committed as President.

Answer: Trump is a pathological liar.

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2020 4:43 PM

[quote] If you think one's better than the other , you're a brainwahsed idiot

R55 Irony is so lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2020 4:46 PM

Obama committed no crimes. Trump ass needs to go to jail. If they can't get him they need to get jr, Ivanka or Jared. I want someone close to Trump to go to jail. Or catch hell going forward to teach other people a lesson.

Make examples out of these people. It's not like the Trumps are a political family the way the Bushes Clintons or Obama's are. They are truly outsiders to Washington and I think that's enough to lock someone up from that family, for even getting into something they should have never entered into.

And that's federal government.

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2020 4:49 PM

Aw, Klansman Daddy would be so sad to see Trump obsessing about a Negro.

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2020 4:52 PM

Just fyi - Rick Wilson said a Republican source said to him that McConnell would never, ever let Lindsey call on Obama to testify in any way.

We can't have someone showing up who makes Trump look so much less than presidential and it would just open the worst can of worms on McConnell's behavior in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2020 4:52 PM

The White House is a facsimile. It was entirely rebuilt under Truman

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote]he's obviously not up to being president and objectively speaking it was a terrible idea, but it does feed his narcissistic hunger to be treated like a god in a way he would never have experienced otherwise

But it's also exposed him as the most grotesquely inadequate world leader in modern memory, whose childish ignorance will be viewed in documentaries as case histories for generations. He's history's laughing stock. The narcissist's nightmare. (Bad as he was, Bush 2 must be so relieved he'll be seen as not so bad as this imbecile.)

Trump's fixation is comic-pathetic. At some micro-level he knows Obama's reputation is, compared to his, unassailable - yet still he tries, tries so uselessly hard, to denigrate. That last word is hardly inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2020 4:55 PM

R65 The original frame remains, which was built by slaves.

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2020 4:56 PM

R65 Only the inside was gutted.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2020 4:56 PM

"But it's also exposed him as the most grotesquely inadequate world leader in modern memory, whose childish ignorance will be viewed in documentaries as case histories for generations. "

And that will be Boomers' legacy to the world: Donald J. Trump. Boomer.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2020 5:09 PM

R66 Your right about Bush probably being relieved about Trump coming along and taking the title of worst president in 21st century modern history.

Bush is like Bruce Ismay in the titanic sneaking into a life boat that's only supposed to be for women and children, and the assistant to the captain looking at him pathetically getting into the boat, but don't really say anything because something even worse is going on, taking his attention away from Bruce.

Leaving Bruce to peacefully fade to the background because something even egregious is taking place, leaving him to rest assuredly that he isn't as important to worry about anymore.

That's how I think of Bush now, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2020 5:10 PM

[quote] Della you dumb cunt. You read the point of the question incorrectly. But you do you.

Oooooh, Squared me, r45.

Being called a name by you is the equivalent of me noticing a gnat bouncing off my head. Pesty, yet insignificant.

And I notice the absence of any "point of the question" in your reply. Because there isn't one.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2020 5:59 PM

What will Rump's Presidential Library look like? Just a series of Twitter rants? Pictures of Melania's titties?

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2020 6:15 PM

R72 you know it will be some God awful annex in one of his trashy properties. But you pose a good question - what actual artifacts/documents will be on display? The Entertainment Tonight tape? A sizzle reel of all his best bloopers?

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2020 6:27 PM

@ r72, "What will Rump's Presidential Library look like?"

I always picture a run down adult bookstore and strip joint out on the highway at the edge of the seamy side of town

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2020 6:33 PM

BBC envy compared to Trump’s shriveled up Mario Kart mushroom looking mess

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2020 6:34 PM

"But you pose a good question - what actual artifacts/documents will be on display? "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2020 6:34 PM

Good. I hope he's fucking miserable and stress eating.

I hope he's raging and screaming and throwing shit everywhere, everyday. Having epic meltdowns to the point of rage crying.

I hope he dreams about Obama every night. I hope Obama appears to him like Freddy Kruger in his dreams, taunting and humiliating him.

I want this to continue over the summer and into the fall or until fat anusmouth has a breakdown and ends up in Bellevue. Permanently.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2020 6:44 PM

Slightly tangential, but bear with me - the man is so clearly self-involved I really feel back for Barron in all of this. I mean, clearly his father isn't an active participant in his life. Trump only cares about Ivanka and that's because he would try to bone her if he could.

Barron is going to need a LOT of therapy. Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2020 6:46 PM

I agree with much of what has been said. I wish to give a political angle to this question. There is no doubt that Obama will campaign for the Democratic Ticket. It will consist of Biden and a women, with a high probability of color. Every time they are on stage, Trump will loathe the fact that two of the people are more popular and well respected than him. Second, he will have no women on the ticket and will have to face the question throughout the campaign. When the three of them are at an event, the crowds will surpass anything Trump can muster. This will drive him crazy. Second, he will NEVER get a former Republican President to speak at his rallies. The best Trump can wish for is one of the Republican kiss ass Senator. Finally, when Obama speaks, at a massive campaign event, the country will be reminded of the contrast there is with regards to being Presidential. Trump can't control any of these facts and it drives his narcissist mind off the map.

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2020 6:47 PM

"Fathers who were millionaires and made the road easier for their sons: Trump 1, Obama 0"

Trump's father GAVE HIM THE TRUMP COMPANY. Without his father's company, Trump would be jobless or selling the equivalent of snake oil on the street. That is much much more than making "the road easier."

For those who don't think or know if Trump is aware of how people hate him, I think he thrives on it. It's a self fulling prophecy, and probably has been throughout his life. He defines himself by his enemies.

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2020 7:13 PM

Dear Covid-19, please visit President Trump.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2020 7:20 PM

"Before the virus, wasn't he taken credit for the booming economy which was largely due to Obama's initiatives?"

Although every president brags about the economy when it's good, the president actually has very little to do with the economy. The Dems handled the financial crisis differently than the Repubs would have, such as forcing the auto industry to re-org, but the good economic we had recently was just part of the long the climb out of the deep 2008 recession. In reality, we were headed toward a recession in 2021 and I feared that would make Biden (or whomever) a one termer, them back to the Repubs. So in a sense, this virus recession is a good thing - Biden won't be blamed for it.

by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2020 7:24 PM

I wish something more tangible would "eat him alive". Like a big fat alligator in one of the Mar-A-Lago ponds. And please, somebody make CERTAIN to film it.

by Anonymousreply 83May 16, 2020 7:33 PM

R82 Why would we go back to a Republican president, rather than stay with a Democratic president?

Isn't there more Democratic voters in the country then Republican ones?

by Anonymousreply 84May 16, 2020 7:34 PM

Trump doesn't need anyone else speaking for him or endorsing him. He is totally independent and likes it that way, so he doesn't have to share the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2020 7:36 PM

R72 - Trumps "Presidential Library" will be two 8TB external hard drives attached to a PC, containing all hi Tweets, and a recreation of his and Melania's make-up and hair stations. It will be located in a gold leafed room in the club house of his New Jersey golf course, which will have been reduced to a min-golf, most of the land sold off in bankruptcy proceedings and nobody willing to play on a Trump branded course.

by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote] Isn't there more Democratic voters

Aren't

by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2020 8:01 PM

R85. You are wrong. When a Republican does not endorse him by remaining silent or god for bid says something that is not a full endorsement, he goes crazy. He stays up all night to rip the person via twitter and encourages an opposing candidate. Look at the Alabama Senate race or even the GA Senate race. He is a narcissist A-Hole.

by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2020 8:23 PM

Obama: 8.5. Trump: 3.0. You know what I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2020 8:28 PM

I think Hell for Trump would to be around people who ignore him, turn their backs and blithely talk as if he were not there, having a great time.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2020 8:38 PM

R84, I don't know what you mean. Regardless of how many Democratic voters there are, the country has elected Republican presidents.

What I mean is the one who resides in the white house gets blamed for whatever happens. If Biden were president and we went into a deep recession in 2021 or 22, he'd get blamed and could lose to a Republican in 2024. If Trump was re-elected and we went from rosy economy to deep recession, Nikki Haley could kiss it goodbye in 2024 because the voters would probably blame Trump and the Republicans for that recession. The economy is cyclical, there are going to be good one and bad ones, it's a matter of life, not anything a president does.

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2020 8:42 PM

I disagree. Each time a Republican is elected into office, I lose my job and can only get rehired if I take a pay cut. I experienced this in 2000, 2004 and 2008 and now 2020. I have not recovered professionally from the 2008 recession.

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2020 8:46 PM

“ Envy. Racism“

So it’s about the penis?

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2020 8:47 PM

R92, everything is about YOU, eh? Did you know that the Yankees have never won a World Series with a Republican in the White House. That's true.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2020 8:50 PM

yes, bitch. It's all about me all the fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2020 9:08 PM

[quote]Don't forget that the Obamas have become personal friends not only of Prince William, but of Her Maj herself. Whereas Trump got short shrift on his first visit, and the bare minimum on his second, and at least one royal (Princess Anne) "accidentally" let slip that she finds him a buffoon.

True. Obama was loved & respected internationally. When Trump was finally given an official visit by the UK, they had to keep him away from the British crowds and limit his visit as much as possible. Meanwhile, Obama is still popular in the UK.

And Trump is also unusual in being the first U.S. President in decades not to make the traditional visit to Canada. Obama was adored in Canada and had crowds of people wanting to see him, whereas Trump has stayed away from Canada completely.

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2020 10:09 PM

No one sane likes Trump, we all know hes a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2020 10:22 PM

Another thing: what brought Trump into politics in the first place was being a birther and wanting to investigate Obama's birth certificate.

People seem to forget that and the media hasn't talked about it in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2020 10:26 PM

R97 Trump said he wanted to investigate Obama's birth certificate and his birth? He really said that?

I never heard that one.

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2020 10:30 PM

NYT: Obama Says U.S. Lacks Leadership on Virus in Virtual Commencement Speech

The speech combined the inspirational advice given to graduates with pointed criticism of the handling of a public health crisis that has killed more than 87,000 Americans and crippled much of the economy.

“More than anything, this pandemic has fully, finally torn back the curtain on the idea that so many of the folks in charge know what they’re doing,” Mr. Obama said in an address streamed online. “A lot of them aren’t even pretending to be in charge.”

It was one of his few public addresses to a national audience during the outbreak, and he said a leadership void had created a clear mandate for the graduates: “If the world’s going to get better, it’s going to be up to you,” he said.

Mr. Obama’s remarks were billed as a commencement speech, but they also appeared to be an effort to comfort and assure an American public divided by President Trump’s handling of the crisis. The former president also used the moment to attempt to rally the nation in an election year around values historically championed by Democrats like universal health care, and environmental and economic justice.

Since leaving office three years ago, Mr. Obama generally has avoided publicly criticizing Mr. Trump. But his jabs at the pandemic response could further inflame tensions between the two most recent occupants of the White House.

Mr. Obama called the current administration’s response to the pandemic “anemic and spotty” in a private call last week with thousands of supporters who had worked for him.

“It would have been bad even with the best of governments,” Mr. Obama said on the call. “It has been an absolute chaotic disaster when that mind-set — of ‘what’s in it for me’ and ‘to heck with everybody else’ — when that mind-set is operationalized in our government.”

And in recent days Mr. Trump has unleashed tirades against Mr. Obama on Twitter and on television, resurrecting unfounded claims that his predecessor tried to bring him down by manufacturing the Russia investigation.

Mr. Obama’s address to more than 27,000 students at 78 participating historically black colleges and universities was the first of two commencement speeches by the former president on Saturday.

He is also scheduled to have remarks air during a prime time special for high school graduates that starts at 8 p.m. Eastern on the major television networks. That event, “Graduate Together: High School Class of 2020 Commencement,” is organized by XQ Institute, a think tank that works with schools, in partnership with LeBron James’s foundation and the Entertainment Industry Foundation, a philanthropic organization.

The two-hour event for historically black schools, “Show Me Your Walk H.B.C.U. Edition,” was streamed on the social media platforms of its corporate sponsor, JPMorgan Chase. It featured Kevin Hart as host as well as dozens of prominent African-American athletes, politicians and entertainers, many of whom were H.B.C.U. graduates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2020 10:32 PM

"Another thing: what brought Trump into politics in the first place was being a birther and wanting to investigate Obama's birth certificate."

Not really. Trump has talked about running for 30 years. He's ALWAYS poked his nose into what a president was doing/not doing like he knew better, but it was all talk until 2015.

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2020 10:35 PM

Yes, R101, but what put him on the map politically was joining the birther movement and building up a right-wing base.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2020 10:40 PM

And Trump's ass still doesn't know what he's doing. He's just occupying the presidency. We don't have a president right now.

Never thought the mess we're seeing everyday coming from the white house was possible in America.

Boy was I proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2020 10:41 PM

he doesn't know, and truly doesn't give a shit. There have been presidents that go unprepared, but I think he's a first for truly not giving a shit about any aspect of the job other than the ceremony and the big crowds. He will never get even a tiny bit better at the job because he sucks and doesn't care that he sucks.

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2020 10:52 PM

I wish the thing eating him alive inside was terminal cancer. The QUICK kind

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2020 11:11 PM

R105 What's eating him alive is probably his last taco bowl or bucket of KFC.

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2020 11:17 PM

True, R102.

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2020 11:25 PM

"And Trump's ass still doesn't know what he's doing. He's just occupying the presidency. We don't have a president right now."

I disagree. Trump THINKS he knows what he's doing, and he's doing it - he doesn't trust anyone to do their jobs, he has to insert himself front and center. Trump may not have prepared us for Covid-19, but don't kid yourself, he doing all sorts of shit behind the scenes - ALL BAD.

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2020 11:32 PM

“More than anything, this pandemic has fully, finally torn back the curtain on the idea that so many of the folks in charge know what they’re doing,” Mr. Obama said in an address streamed online. “A lot of them aren’t even pretending to be in charge.”

Ha! what do you want to bet Dump is just rage eating right now - just stuffing one hamberder after another down his massive gullet; he'll wake up at 2:00 AM, massively constipated and start raging tweeting, commanding his fat little lackey Barr to go round up some hapless civil servants for him to prosecute!

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2020 11:37 PM

Somewhat related, but I think a therapist would have a field day with Donald's fascination with putting himself in memes of powerful individuals (Rocky, Game of Thrones, Thanos and now Independence Day; maybe others). This is clearly a man who's not comfortable in his own skin.

by Anonymousreply 110May 16, 2020 11:38 PM

R109, MR Obama??? You're from another country, right?

by Anonymousreply 111May 16, 2020 11:51 PM

Hey, dopey, it's a quote from the NYT article linked at R100. They style everyone as "Mr." or "Ms." And it's a perfectly valid and common way to refer to him, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 112May 16, 2020 11:59 PM

Every channel is carrying the graduation speech. He’s gonna lose his goddamn mind.

by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2020 12:01 AM

even Fox (non-cable), Fox "News" and Fox "Business" are showing this special!!!

Obama will be all over Trump's tv territory!! glorious!!

I can't wait for the orange meltdown on twitter tonight and tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2020 12:08 AM

I think we all know what country r111 is from.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2020 12:09 AM

[R109], MR Obama??? You're from another country, right?

Yes, Mr. Obama, we'll need to see your green card, oh, you don't have one? Well please approach these two gentlemen in a pick up truck, they just want to ask you some questions...

Barr is such a pathetic toady, I wouldn't put anything past him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2020 12:25 AM

I always call him "Mr. Obama." Because he deserves my respect.

And I always call the other creature the incontinent fat-fuck fascist racist rapist wanna-be mob boss with an IQ of 80 and a list of psychopathies longer than the list of indictments coming its way. Because what it deserves is something painful, slow, irrevocable and undeniably shaming ad aeternum.

by Anonymousreply 117May 17, 2020 12:26 AM

R117 all former Presidents are referred to as President So&So. Not “Mister”.

by Anonymousreply 118May 17, 2020 12:29 AM

always r118? Always? In every situation? Really? Always? You sure about that? Is that what you learned? Is your training deficient? Are you deficient? Perhaps you might need retraining.

by Anonymousreply 119May 17, 2020 12:35 AM

R119 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 17, 2020 12:38 AM

please report with your family to the retraining center, r118, yes including the babushka. We feel the retraining must be thorough.

by Anonymousreply 121May 17, 2020 12:40 AM

R118 you might want to familiarize yourself with editorial style guides.

by Anonymousreply 122May 17, 2020 12:47 AM

Obama sounded more like a leader during his commencement speech than orange fuck has sounded his entire presidency.

by Anonymousreply 123May 17, 2020 12:54 AM

Agree with R118.

[quote]...In past years, some guidebooks on manners maintained that in the U.S., the title should be reserved for the incumbent president only, and should not be used for former presidents, holding that it was not proper to use the title as a courtesy title when addressing a former president. Despite that, all living former U.S. presidents continue to be addressed as "Mr. President", both formally and informally, and contemporary experts on etiquette now maintain that it is entirely appropriate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 17, 2020 12:56 AM

oh, r124, it's not helping, really. It's not looking authentic or really familiar with the culture. it just isn't, honey.

by Anonymousreply 125May 17, 2020 12:57 AM

R124 you need to check out the Times Guide to Style and Usage, specifically.

by Anonymousreply 126May 17, 2020 12:59 AM

R124 the answer that you and 118 seek can be found here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 17, 2020 1:02 AM

in fairness, r127, they don't seek answers. They seek approval, and potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 128May 17, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote][R124] you need to check out the Times Guide to Style and Usage, specifically.

My entire post was a copy and paste from Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 129May 17, 2020 1:07 AM

This is true, r128, and to be clear... Every editorial board has its own style guide.

by Anonymousreply 130May 17, 2020 1:07 AM

That's nice, r129, that's a generic post. I will repeat myself for you...every editorial board has its own style guide. The style guide will dictate if a president, past or president, is called Mr. or President within the publication. What the NYT does may be differ from the Associated Press (AP Stylebook) or The Washington Post. Then there's MLA and APA which are used in academia. And we can't forget the Chicago Manual of Style.

by Anonymousreply 131May 17, 2020 1:16 AM

R117/R118, in America, people call each other by their first names, respect or not. Adding "Mr" is way too formal, for your landlord or for the president. It's pretentious, it's old fashioned like from your GRAND PARENT'S generation. Today it's off-putting, smug and superior, in other words, a crock of shit. I don't care what the NYT says, this is the Datalounge, not the Times.

by Anonymousreply 132May 17, 2020 1:27 AM

The other day Dr. Fauci walked into the oval office and told Trump that two Brazilian citizens in the US had died from the virus. Trump looked extremely shocked, put his head in his hands, everyone in the oval office was freaked out because Trump had never acted the least concerned about nearly three thousand Americans dying daily. Then Trump looks up to Dr Fauci and asks, "How many people is a Brazilian?"

by Anonymousreply 133May 17, 2020 1:31 AM

🙄 !

by Anonymousreply 134May 17, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] [R117] all former Presidents are referred to as President So&So. Not “Mister”.

R118 I heard this explained on a newscast once, when people complained about the President being referred to as Mister. They explained that in the first reference they call the President, President So and So, and after that they refer to him as Mister So and So.

by Anonymousreply 135May 17, 2020 1:38 AM

Trump is a fuckup. Worse than his sons or his plastic unfortunate daughter. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere without his inheritance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 17, 2020 1:50 AM

Not everywhere, r135. Associated Press drops the Mr. and just uses last names after the first instance, including that of the president.

by Anonymousreply 137May 17, 2020 1:54 AM

R137, this is the Datalounge, not the AP.

by Anonymousreply 138May 17, 2020 2:00 AM

After Trump is voted out, I'm going to call him Mr. Orange Fatass

by Anonymousreply 139May 17, 2020 2:08 AM

And, r139, you're not R135. Stay in your lane.

by Anonymousreply 140May 17, 2020 2:37 AM

[Quote] deaths of over 80,000 Americans through ineptitude and greed, and he'll always, ALWAYS have that

No. People will forget after 5 years.

As one GOP president is worse than the preceding and DM is winner at losing, people will adore Trump during the next GOP presidency like they love W now.

by Anonymousreply 141May 17, 2020 6:45 AM

I dont think so R141. I think Trump will be an embarrassment for the GOP for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 142May 17, 2020 6:48 AM

No, tRump will be come another beloved pillar of the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 143May 17, 2020 7:31 AM

I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 144May 17, 2020 7:42 AM

Why DO Americans retain titles for people who used to be President, VP and so on? Nobody else does it.

Margaret Thatcher wasn't "PM Thatcher" till her death. People interviewing Gordon Brown don't call him "Prime Minister". They might say "Former Prime Minister" in the intro, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 145May 17, 2020 10:05 AM

This probably sent him into fits of rage, popping more drugs, and beating poor Barron with a size 60 belt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 17, 2020 1:07 PM

Since the 1990s we've had a problem with hardcore rightwingers grasping onto conspiracy theories, starting with some TV evangelicals and Rush Limbaugh, then moving onto the Teapartiers and finally the alt-right and QAnons. Trump managed to tap into that with the birtherism nonsense, which also played to more mainstream types who got nervous after a few years of a black president. The media and Jack Dorsey of Twitter fueled his birtherism campaign for profit.

He's not a genius; someone else would have tapped into that very same market the way he did, had he not gotten there first. It was just a fluke that someone with political aspirations like Trump happened to be the person who fell into that particular cultural hotspot.

Things went off the rails thanks to Russian interference and something sketchy going on in the FBI that lead to the Comey letter. I still remember everyone, including Turtles McConnell, looking shaken the morning after the election.

Trump is dumb as hell but even he knows he didn't really win. He was a fluke, an accident of circumstance, and he's beholden to some pretty scary people. And they got him this job that he doesn't even want and isn't even good at, and he can't actually DO anything to Obama like he wanted to in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 147May 17, 2020 2:02 PM

"No. People will forget after 5 years."

Anyone remember Katrina? Of course we do. This pandemic will be remembered in 20 years and forever by anyone who was alive in 2020. For those too young or born after, it'll be in the top five of disasters lists. Its as big/bigger than 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 148May 17, 2020 2:18 PM

r136 , demon vibes

by Anonymousreply 149May 17, 2020 2:37 PM

so, did he have a twitter meltdown during/after the speech? I don't use twitter, but I would be surprised if he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 150May 17, 2020 3:19 PM

Dubya and Donald are both older than 70. It's interesting that separately or collectively, both could be the last face of the Republicans for a while.

by Anonymousreply 151May 17, 2020 3:46 PM

R133...That joke goes back to Bush Jr. at least.

by Anonymousreply 152May 17, 2020 4:58 PM

When will they post the viewer ratings for Obama's speech last night?

by Anonymousreply 153May 17, 2020 5:04 PM

he's a cunt

by Anonymousreply 154May 17, 2020 5:09 PM

It is truly odd - his obsession with Obama

by Anonymousreply 155May 19, 2020 1:26 AM

He was supposed to have a series of transition meetings with Obama in early 2017 but he blew them all off. Trump immediately knew he was in over his head and didn't want to show his ignorance.

Luckily, Obama left him an in-shape country to cruise on (and take credit for). Or else we'd all be unemployed and in food lines.

Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 156May 19, 2020 1:29 AM

Trump really just wants Obama to hold him tightly. That's all his rage is about. He's in love with Barack, and nothing else can explain his weird behavior towards Obama.

Trump has a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 157May 19, 2020 1:51 AM

Agree, R157. Dotard Don is stalking and obsessing over an ex, pretty much. Utterly pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 158May 19, 2020 1:54 AM

Why can't it eat him alive faster?

by Anonymousreply 159May 19, 2020 11:28 AM

[quote]Why can't it eat him alive faster?

And in public so we can watch him be consumed.

by Anonymousreply 160May 19, 2020 11:32 AM

Big dick vs micro dick.

by Anonymousreply 161May 19, 2020 11:44 AM

I've read a few books about Trump and as near as I can figure, Russia always intended for him to run for President and were pushing him to do it in 2008 and 2012. It wasn't Seth Myers or Obama at the Press Association Dinner. They just poured accelerant on his racism and meanness.

But Trump had no intention of losing to Obama. He wanted guarantees. So Russia started putting the apparatus together in 2014, even sending people here to try to understand how the actual processed worked. And they had help from Americans. I would love to know the names of those people.

And I believe to this day, that if he had not worked out for them they had someone else groomed and ready. And I would love to figure out who it is. Because chances are at some point, that person will be on center stage.

Trump had never really experienced negative press before he became President. He was always able to harness and manipulate the media. And he compared his negatives to the wildly popular Obama, and he was extremely pissed off. Yes, Jealously. Absolutely. And Racism. How dare people rapture over a Black man?

Trump always wanted to hang out with A-listers, but he was always shunned by them. In NY high society, he wanted to be on their level and they'd run from him. As for big time celebrities, movie stars etc. They shunned him too.

He was never one of the elite and he hated the people who rejected him....who also happened to embrace Obama. This is not complicated. His obsession springs from the malignant narcissism and racism that is hardwired into his very core.

by Anonymousreply 162May 19, 2020 12:00 PM

"Trump had never really experienced negative press before he became President."

You must not have been listening in 2015 and 2016. Additionally, in New York, Trump has been getting negative press since 1986.

by Anonymousreply 163May 19, 2020 12:05 PM

R163, that's just wrong. Not like he's been getting since he became President. Are you delusional? Trump wasn't getting negative Press in 2015 and 2016. Maybe if the Media had gone after him, vetted him, we wouldn't be sitting here in the middle of a shit show. And please don't confuse controversial with negative. He gloried in the controversy he stirred up in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 164May 19, 2020 12:15 PM

^ Anyone want to take this?

by Anonymousreply 165May 19, 2020 12:29 PM

The NRA (now bankrupt) has something to do with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 19, 2020 1:37 PM

R166 of course they were. The RUssian conspiracy to stage this coup, which is what it was, started before Trump announced he was running for POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 167May 19, 2020 1:48 PM

I think you guys are off on the racism thing a bit. Don’t get me wrong, They are definitely racist. But the driving force that I saw in the 2016 election was Outsider resentment. People who can’t really talk politics. People confronted with their ignorance when the internet landed in their house.

Trump was the perfect vote because it required no thinking and would shake up the game.

Were there dog whistles? Sure. But that comes with territory. The real target I think is chaos.

by Anonymousreply 168May 19, 2020 2:14 PM

A fat King Troll elected by trolls, R168

by Anonymousreply 169May 19, 2020 2:26 PM

Trump is so small, so thinned skinned and vile, he has announced that he will not be hosting the unveiling of the Obamas' White House portraits. THis is a tradition. Obama did it for Bush, but Trump can't bring himself to do it. This man is a POS. And I hope when it is time to unveil his portrait, they instead unveil a picture of a pile of shit which is exactly what he is.

by Anonymousreply 170May 19, 2020 3:53 PM

The original Picture of Dorian Gray from the movie is still in the Art Institute of Chicago. Perhaps they would donate it.

by Anonymousreply 171May 24, 2020 4:14 PM

Trump's jealousy of Obama is akin to Cinderella's step-sisters' green envy. Dude, the glass slipper will NEVER fit you.

by Anonymousreply 172May 24, 2020 4:30 PM

r145 Thatcher was referred to as Lady Thatcher, because she was given that title, which, to certain minds, outranks a PM. The same applies when referring to Hillary Clinton as Secretary Clinton or Chris Christie as Governor(those titles are viewed as being on a higher plain than merely being a Mrs. or Mr.) even though they both don't hold those offices anymore. It's honorary, but it seems most everyone does it, tradition and all that. It's enshrined in our culture, but that could change if people simply stop doing it.

Trump gets the Mr. President moniker because he is, for good or ill, overwhelmingly ill, the chief executive of the US. I'm all for using Mr. Fill-in-the-blank for former presidents, after initially referring to them as Mr. President, whether in person or in the media.

by Anonymousreply 173May 24, 2020 8:40 PM

Sorry, BronzAgeGay, nobody does it outside the USA, at least not in the Western world.

She was actually Baroness Thatcher. She was given a peerage, entitling her to sit in the House of Lords. It is a title conferred by the Queen. Most peers, dames and knights outside showbiz do use those titles routinely: but no former politician still uses their political title.

British Prime Ministers are never referred to as "PM Tony Blair" etc, after they leave the role, whether "higher" titles are conferred on them or not. Neither is the equivalent done in Australia, Canada or NZ. In Australia and New Zealand, if a former PM is being interviewed on TV he or she will usually be addressed by their first name.

Likewise, Secretary Clinton or Governor Christie is not something you'd hear anywhere outside the US for someone who has vacated the role.

by Anonymousreply 174May 25, 2020 1:02 PM

r174 I will rely on your knowledge, although I didn't mean to imply that it's a global thing. You see it a lot on talking head shows here in the States, interviewers seem to love the distinction that a "titled" person brings to the proceedings, because they seemingly never fail to use a title when they can. I wonder how these former secretaries, governors, etc. would react if the honorific was dropped? Do they feel it is their due since their predecessors were given them, and they worked hard for the position that gave them the title. I wonder if they really care?

Am I right in assuming that Thatcher's peerage died with her?

by Anonymousreply 175May 25, 2020 2:38 PM

[quote]Am I right in assuming that Thatcher's peerage died with her?

Yes, but her husband was given a hereditary baronetcy.

by Anonymousreply 176May 25, 2020 5:35 PM

Trump is onlyb called "Mr. President to his face."

by Anonymousreply 177May 26, 2020 5:31 PM

AP FACT CHECK: Trump claim of saving space program off base

June 1, 2020 at 1:37 pm Updated June 1, 2020 at 2:01 pm

By HOPE YEN The Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is making claims on space that are off course from reality.

Over the weekend, he took full credit for the government’s role in the launch of SpaceX, the first-ever private spacecraft to attain orbit with astronauts on board. Trump also asserted that he saved the space program after President Barack Obama had ruined it and suggested that a Mars mission with astronauts was imminent.

Those statements are exaggerations.

TRUMP: “With this launch, the decades of lost years and little action are officially over. …Past leaders put the United States at the mercy of foreign nations to send our astronauts into orbit. Not anymore. Today we once again proudly launch American astronauts on American rockets.” —remarks Saturday.

THE FACTS: It’s not true that government’s role in SpaceX’s launch is due all to Trump. The path to a commercial launch was paved over more than 10 years, spanning both the administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

Under Bush, NASA began an effort to commercialize space following the shuttle Columbia disaster in 2003, which killed its crew of seven. In 2006, he started a program to get commercial companies to deliver cargo to the International Space Station. The Obama administration “pushed it harder, much harder,” said Syracuse University space policy professor Henry Lambright.

By 2012, a robotic SpaceX capsule docked with the International Space Station for the first time.

Meanwhile, with the Space Shuttle program winding down, the Obama administration worked to broaden the space commercialization effort, giving money to private companies to develop spacecraft that could carry astronauts to orbit.

In a briefing with reporters last month, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine specifically acknowledged the work of Charles Bolden, Obama’s NASA administrator, who he said helped make the SpaceX launch possible.

“This is a program that demonstrates the success when you have continuity of purpose going from one administration to the next,” Bridenstine said.

___

TRUMP: “When I first came into office three and a half years ago, NASA had lost its way … The last administration presided over the closing of the Space Shuttle … People were crying. They were devastated. But now it’s the greatest of its kind anywhere in the world.” — remarks Saturday.

THE FACTS: He’s falsely suggesting that Obama shuttered the space shuttle program. Actually, it was Bush.

After the Columbia disaster, Bush decided the remaining shuttles were too dangerous to continue with present missions and would be retired.

“The shuttle’s chief purpose over the next several years will be to help finish assembly of the International Space Station,” Bush said on Jan. 14, 2004. “In 2010, the space shuttle, after nearly 30 years of duty, will be retired from service.”

___

TRUMP: “For every citizen who has eagerly waited for America to reignite those engines of will, confidence and imagination that put a man on the moon, I stand before you to say you need wait no longer. For NASA’s Artemis program, the United States is preparing for a crewed mission to Mars.” — remarks Saturday.

THE FACTS: NASA is not currently preparing for a mission to Mars with astronauts.

The Trump administration has continued NASA’s long-term goal of sending astronauts to Mars, but has changed the short-term goal to a return to the moon first (Obama favored a visit to an asteroid instead of the moon). The Trump administration is trying to accelerate NASA’s plan for returning people to the lunar surface. It’s hoping to make a moon mission possible by 2024.

Mars would come a decade after that, maybe longer.

___

AP Aerospace Writer Marcia Dunn in Cape Canaveral, Florida, and AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein in Kensington, Maryland, contributed to this report.

___

EDITOR’S NOTE — A look at the veracity of claims by political figures.

by Anonymousreply 178June 1, 2020 9:13 PM

LOLOL! I can't wait to see how Trump reacts to Mattis shaming him, and Obama easily out performing him in leadership skills tonight. If his obssession with Obama is "eating him alive" it must be time for dessert! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 179June 4, 2020 3:59 AM

[quote] if Dump could travel back in time, would his fat ass run for President?

We already know what Twittler would do if he could go back in time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 4, 2020 5:44 AM

Trump's outsized ego, his connections to oligarchs and organized crime figures in Eastern Europe, and his grasping, greedy corruption, (he's spent the last three years as a shake down artist on the world stage) would have still led to his running for President. The opportunities for gratification on all levels out weighed the dangers.

by Anonymousreply 181June 4, 2020 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!