Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“The Great” - Starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult Who is Watching?

The Great, an occasionally true story is an American comedy miniseries very loosely based on the rise of Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia. All 10 episodes in the first season were released on Hulu on May 15, 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 13, 2021 9:36 PM

Whats with the rush of Catherine the Great shows all of a sudden? Is autocratic sluttyness back in?

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2020 8:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2020 8:58 AM

Looks like a bit of a comedy spoof of The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2020 9:18 AM

Catherine the Great was a Polish woman who became empress of Russia, and she’s played by an American actress speaking with a British accent.*

I actually found the trailer intriguing. I can imagine some opportunity for interesting comedic spins on Ekaterina. And if making fun of Russian history antagonizes Uncle Vlad? I can live with that.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2020 9:59 AM

Elle fanning? You've got to be kidding me. They need an actress who projects power, cunning and fierceness not a wispy little girl. They might as well have cast Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2020 10:41 AM

R1 Why not? She was a cool lady!

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2020 10:43 AM

I've watched three episodes.

It's great fun.

But it's definitely violent.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2020 11:03 AM

Not watched yet but seen this link from an earlier thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2020 11:18 AM

r8 I feel their historical marriage would have been a lot more successful if Peter III had looked like Hoult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2020 11:23 AM

I’ve been binge watching. I’m really enjoying it!

[quote] Looks like a bit of a comedy spoof of The Crown.

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2020 11:33 AM

Hulu’s The Great is a gorgeously delirious mashup of history

The latest in a line of highly irreverent period pieces, Hulu’s The Great takes inspiration from its Russian empress namesake and, more generally, the lives of brilliant women bound to exceedingly mediocre men. The caustically funny miniseries is a decidedly ahistorical romp; while The Great does construct traditional power structures and settings, creator Tony McNamara’s (co-writer of The Favourite) attitude toward a faithful recreation of late 18th-century Russia is neatly summarized by a 19-year-old Catherine (Elle Fanning) waving a bloody middle finger. Underneath its abundance of wit is a story of ambition, and where we allow it to be nurtured.

McNamara and his co-executive producer Marian Macgowan take many liberties to maintain a cogent narrative, even pruning a generation from the Russian monarch family tree. Throughout the series, Peter II (in reality, Peter III, who abdicated in 1762 after a six-month reign) waxes semi-eloquent about his father Peter The Great, while always suffering in comparison. His misguided attempts to continue his father’s work of modernization include banning beards for being physical representations of the old Russia. Played by a gleefully disinhibited Nicholas Hoult, Peter is malicious, mercurial; capable of real depth while being completely out of his depth. He has considerable power, but no vision . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2020 11:42 AM

I’m ready for Nicholas Hoult dong now, please.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2020 11:43 AM

Although I’ve been mildly obsessed with Nick Hoult for years, this looks...meh.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2020 12:31 PM

This tempts me to finally look into Hulu. Catherine the Great’s part of Russian history is enthralling to me.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2020 12:51 PM

It’s a lot of fun, occasionally disturbingly violent, and Fanning is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2020 12:56 PM

Was that Emily Dickinson series ever released? I think it was supposed to be on Hulu, too, yes?

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2020 1:00 PM

It has a Little Women meets Blue Velvet kind of vibe

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2020 1:20 PM

crossed with Monty Python meets Yorgos Lanthimos

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2020 1:24 PM

I'll stick with The Scarlet Empress thanks.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2020 1:35 PM

Hoult looks beautiful in pearls.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 1:51 PM

r16, that's on Apple TV+.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 2:00 PM

Nicholas is gorgeous, I want to see his cock

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 2:19 PM

[quote]Catherine the Great was a Polish woman

Nope, she was Prussian, not Polish

Stop contaminating others with your own ignorance.

Oh, and her husband was the grandson of Peter the Great, not the son.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2020 4:05 PM

I watched three episodes Friday, and while I will finish the season, it's not pulling me in. I read that the latter episodes are better.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2020 4:11 PM

R23 She was from the part of Prussia that is now called Poland, Penelope, you compulsive one-upper.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2020 4:11 PM

Are you really that stupid? In 1729 when she was born, Poland was a separate country to the east of Prussia.

Prussia was not Poland and she spoke German, not Polish

The Prussian city in which she was born became part of Germany in 1871 and was not transferred to Poland until post WWII, 2 centuries after her birth.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2020 4:36 PM

R26 Ha. Your temper is kind of amazing. Do you go into rages over things like this in real life? You must have a lot of friends.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2020 4:51 PM

I started watching it but it’s so self-satisfied with its cheekiness and Nicholas Hoult looks like he’s going to mug his way through this thing. It wants to be like “The Favourite” but Yorgos Lathimos (sp) succeeds with his absurdist comedies because his actors play it very dry.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2020 5:00 PM

Nicholas has a smelly uncut cock.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2020 7:02 PM

I want to see Nicholas nude in this series, wearing only his powdered wig.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2020 7:13 PM

[quote]I'll stick with The Scarlet Empress thanks.

I'll check out "The Great", but it'll be tough to beat the fabulous Marlene Dietrich as Catherine. That scene where she destroys Peter's insulting mistress with just a 30-second silent look was drag queen worthy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2020 7:29 PM

This is wonderful. It’s an addictive, comical, dark dive into the minds of the royals of that era.

Fanning and Hoult are every bit as good as you’ve heard. Fanning, in particular, is astonishing as Catherine.

Without this thread I would never have seen this show. I’m generally not interested in period pieces, especially if the characters need a good shower. No bother here.

Thanks to the OP and everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2020 1:23 AM

Is it like Harlots?

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2020 1:44 AM

I’m not really liking it at all but I’m invested enough time wise to see it to the end.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2020 2:09 AM

Hoult has a nice ass, but I preferred the hairy ass of Leo.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2020 2:52 AM

Leo is hot. I love a swarthy pocket gay.

Great show, I’m about to start episode 4. Please don’t kill Leo.

Oriol reminds me of Tom Hulce in “Mozart.”

Some of you don’t enjoy the humor, understood, but I think it is really well done.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2020 4:12 AM

“I’ll just ask it, there’s no other way. Have you ever fucked a horse?”

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2020 4:26 AM

“How does one even a fuck a horse?”

“Can’t explain it but I can draw it.”

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2020 4:28 AM

Sacha Dhawan (Orlov) is really handsome, outside of the wig and period drag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2020 4:34 AM

Is the religious man with the long beard supposed to be Rasputin?

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2020 4:45 AM

Smart, hot gaze at r39. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2020 4:52 AM

Fucking Nazis! The lot of you!

Elle! Fetch my smokes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2020 5:08 AM

“I don’t like eating moose lips,“ crying, “but everyone is going on about them.”

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2020 5:29 AM

Hoult is so damn sexy. I want to eat his ass all night long.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2020 5:33 AM

Arial to Orlo, about Bishop Archie’s choice::

“He is a bishop, that is his job.

As it is your job to be an annoying, unfucked insect.”

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2020 5:57 AM

10/10

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2020 6:19 AM

Leo.

Leo is my spirit buttplug.

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2020 6:21 AM

It's the tv version of what Marie Antoinette and The Favorite did. Not sure that's a whole series without significant plot.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2020 6:45 AM

I fucking hate this series and finally bailed on it. Go ahead and come at me DL.

Or maybe others agree this show sucks.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2020 6:50 PM

It should be great, but the execution sucks. Same with the Catherine the Great HBO version.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2020 6:54 PM

I’m quite enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2020 6:55 PM

So, this series is from the writer who did "The Favorite?" Okay, so it's like what Julian Fellowes did with "Downton Abbey," i.e. recreate his success from "Gosford Park."

It looks like great fun, but not historical.

Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst was no great beauty. Nor was Peter III. Small pox can really mar your face. BTW, she was a German princess, not Polish. Anhalt-Zerbst was a minor German principality.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2020 7:01 PM

I watched three episodes yesterday. It seems to me that I'm watching the Trump White House as we see the court swirling around Peter and applauding at everything the boorish creep says. Huzzah! There's no difference, really. Bad ideas received with acclaim by his toadies. Everyone frightened to look up or speak. People near the emperor being abused, physically and psychologically. Even the conflicted relationship with the deceased parents who abused him when he was young.

I don't see any parallel to Trump's wives and children. At least, not yet. But as for the rest of it, I think the writers are, at least in part, satirizing the Trump White House.

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote] It looks like great fun, but not historical.

Mary! Thank you for your wisdom and insight (said no one).

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2020 1:54 PM

So far, I'm only in the first episode, but they are doing a great job at showing how Russia has always been a backward nation trying to put forward a look of sophistication. But it is really just a shallow facade. Like how the women of court have the latest Parisian fashions, but don't know how to correctly wear them.

by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2020 1:51 AM

It's stupid. Only SJWs will like it.

by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2020 1:46 PM

Catherine was one of the most talented autocrats ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she identified with horse hung, which was hard to encounter in the transition from rococo to neoclassicism. So at a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her preferences and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2020 1:58 PM

I didn’t hate it. I understand they made it clear it was only loosely based on a true story; but some of the historical inaccuracies bugged the shit out of me. I especially hated how they kept referring to Peter The Great as the Tzar’s father and having his Aunt Elizabeth alive.

by Anonymousreply 58May 21, 2020 4:32 PM

fantastic show

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2020 2:09 AM

Very enjoyable and good eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2020 3:16 AM

It does bother me, too, a bit that Peter the Great is presented as this Czar's father. It doesn't seen necessary.

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2020 3:18 AM

I really like it. it reminds me of the Hannibal series in that it's beyond beautiful and moderately improbable and I don't care. I am however confused about Ivan. why was he locked away in the series?

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2020 10:48 PM

Any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2020 11:13 PM

I wanted to like this show, but I just don't. After three episodes, I quit. I like the actors, and sometimes it's fun, but overall, it's just stupid.

I was initially interested in watching it because I thought it would be similar to "The Favourite". This show has none of that film's wit and intelligence. It's as if the screenwriter gave the script over to a twelve year old, who gleefully added a bunch of "fucks" to it. I struggled to finish the third episode.

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2020 11:16 PM

R63, some delicious male ass.

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2020 11:16 PM

I was prepared to hate this because of the historical inaccuracies, and schlocky humor, but I binged 'til four o'clock this morning. I couldn't stop myself; it was as if I had found a secret guilty pleasure. The writing is so much better than The Windsors, The Royals and The Favourite. Elle Fanning is beautiful. Phoebe Fox is very good as Mariel. Sacha Dhawan as Orlo is magnificent, and I could go without sleep forever to gaze at Sebastian de Souza.

Maybe lockdown has made me intellectually lazy, because this show's comic wit is decidedly lowbrow, but it's fun, and a much welcomed diversion from the "fuck my life" attitude of late.

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2020 2:49 AM

I giggled at the Chernobyl children's choir 'they're glowing'

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2020 2:55 AM

Sounds like the only thing "great" about this is Nicholas Hoult's naked ass!

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2020 5:44 AM

The guy who played Brian May in Bohemian Rhapsody is in this. Does anybody recall seeing his bum? I think he's cute.

by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2020 11:12 AM

Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2020 11:25 AM

If you don't watch it for historical accuracies, it's very bawdy and laugh out loud funny. Acting and costumes first rate.

by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2020 12:35 PM

I lasted about 15 minutes of one episode. They kept saying "fuck," she was perky, he was prissy, and....no. Just no. And if they also mix in ugly violence to spice things up, as people have said....a bigger no.

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2020 12:58 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 73May 28, 2020 1:46 PM

Loved the entire series. Who cares that it is mostly made up. It's funny and thrilling!

by Anonymousreply 74May 28, 2020 2:23 PM

I am a Fanning fan. Odd how she looks better in motion. What a cute nose too.

by Anonymousreply 75May 28, 2020 5:48 PM

It's total fantasy, but it's fun fantasy. Sebastian De Souza is so hot and has been rumored to be gay for years. I don't think he even beards.

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2020 7:01 AM

Compulsively enjoyable! Highly recommended!

More fun than watching two fattards bickering like rabid bitches in this thread!!!

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2020 7:57 AM

It got renewed? I thought it was a miniseries.

Guess I will have to watch it now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 2, 2020 4:11 PM

The costumes are beautiful, at least.

by Anonymousreply 79July 2, 2020 4:13 PM

I’m looking forward to season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 13, 2021 8:35 PM

The tone of this was fun, but the historical inaccuracies for no reason really bugged me.

by Anonymousreply 81March 13, 2021 9:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!