Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, Tell me about Talking Heads

I just started listening to Talking Heads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2021 1:42 PM

Big group on my Ivy League campus early 80s. Popular at all parties from frat to arty. Quite the party band. Great concert tours too. They all played instruments and Bryne sang in his odd but compelling voice. They had oomph.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2020 3:26 AM

Okay, I'm to a Talking Heads worshipper, but the lyric "Water dissolving and water removing, there is water at the bottom of the ocean" is the most profound lyric ever in popular music. On the one hand, it's obvious and easy to dismiss. On the other hand, you need to consider that it's actually about the nature of human relationships.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2020 3:27 AM

Psycho killer quest que ce same as it ever was same as it ever was.

Idk.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2020 3:29 AM

Just to be clear, "I'm to" ==> "I'm not"

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2020 3:30 AM

Reeked of hipster tediousness. Spy magazine did a great send up of David Byrne's faux naif routine.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2020 3:30 AM

R2 Are you trolling?

Or rolling?

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2020 3:30 AM

At the time, I really enjoyed their music though I almost never listen to it now.

I also went to their Hollywood Bowl concert (during the filmed tour) and had a great time.

But for the most part, their fans were insufferable white people-- upper middle class prepsters who believed themselves the arbiters of music.

It's interesting that when Byrne was on SNL this year, he basically did the old TH stuff.

Also, a very funny old Simpsons episode is when Byrne records Homer's song about Ned Flanders.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 3:39 AM

77 is an amazing album. A lot of bands' debut albums that came out around that time were their best: Pretenders, B52s, Talking Heads, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 3:49 AM

77 is really good but they kept getting better. “More Songs About Buildings and Food” is great, “Fear of Music” is a masterpiece and “Remain in Light” is even better than that. That was their peak but their later albums are also good.

Byrne is a mad genius. Weymouth, Franz and Harrison were all killer musicians. For me they are all time top 5, one of the truly great American rock bands. Ignore the haters, OP, and enjoy getting to know their stuff. Their catalogue has rich rewards.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 3:55 AM

On another thread, I learned that David Byrne isn't just so awkward he looks like a professor of organic chemistry trying to be a rock star, he's actually on the autism spectrum. He's open about it now, he wasn't when he was top of the charts.

Anyway! In the first weeks of the pandemic and lockdown, I played their "Once in a Lifetime" several billion times. It seemed to capture the zeitgeist - the sense of life turned upside-down and leaving us dizzy, the reminder of life's massive uncertainty, the sense that the experience was both brand new and eternal. It was all new to me, to us, but pandemics have been happening since the multi-cellular life evolved, and the experience is as old as water flowing underground. I'd post a link, if my computer didn't crash every fucking time I bring up youtube and decline their fucking ads.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 3:57 AM

R10 I thought Life During Wartime was pretty apropos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 4:01 AM

OP: Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz (one of the most likeable and enduring couples in rock music--they've been together for almost 50 years) have given some insightful and interesting interviews about that period in their life. The one I linked below is long but worth a listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 5:16 AM

One of the most creative and delightful pop love songs ever.....great sex song with some mj too.

Home is where I want to be Pick me up and turn me around I feel numb, born with a weak heart I guess I must be having fun

The less we say about it the better Make it up as we go along Feet on the ground, head in the sky It's okay, I know nothing's wrong, nothing

Oh! I got plenty of time Oh! You got light in your eyes And you're standing here beside me I love the passing of time

Never for money, always for love Cover up and say goodnight, say goodnight Home, is where I want to be But I guess I'm already there

I come home, she lifted up her wings I guess that this must be the place I can't tell one from the other I find you, or you find me?

There was a time before we were born If someone asks, this is where I'll be, where I'll be oh!

We drift in and out Oh! Sing into my mouth Out of all those kinds of people You got a face with a view

I'm just an animal looking for a home and Share the same space for a minute or two And you love me till my heart stops Love me till I'm dead

Eyes that light up Eyes look through you Cover up the blank spots Hit me on the head I got ooh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 5:26 AM

Psycho Killer murdered by Bradford Shellhammer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2020 5:31 AM

In my humble opinion, their finest hour:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2020 5:34 AM

Slippery People was always a favorite. Found a cool video of The Staple Singers covering the song on Soul Train.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2020 3:31 AM

David Byrne is a genius.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2020 3:40 AM

The Staple Singers version of "Slippery People" is phenomenally great. (You need good audio quality to get the full effect of Mavis's singing.) I believe David Byrne plays guitar on it.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2020 3:59 AM

Great find, R16! Pops Staples had a supporting role in "True Stories", by the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2020 4:11 AM

"Stop Making Sense" is one of the best live albums of all time.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2020 5:22 AM

Staple Singers felt that one!

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2020 5:47 AM

Stop Making Sense really IS that great of a concert film

The Talking Heads are almost that great of a band, but maybe not quite as good as the rep in some corners. The music gets very spotty in the latter half of their existence - of course you could say that about myriad acts.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2020 6:05 AM

The Staple Singers' version of "Slippery People" can be found on the out-of-print album, "The Turning Point."

Several used copies of this killer CD are available on eBay and Amazon as I type this.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2020 6:40 AM

They’re absolutely fabulous and there are plenty of internet resources for you to learn about them, Aspie Thread Copycat Pop Cataloguing OP.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2020 6:43 AM

A favorite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2020 6:47 AM

Franz has a book that just came out.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2020 8:13 AM

Fear of Music was great but thereafter they became too groovy for my liking. David Byrne is a typical NY art scene pretentious knob and check out his hair transplant .

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2020 8:19 AM

R26 Chris' book comes out next month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2020 12:20 AM

R16 R18 In David Byrne's American Utopia show the version of Slipper People is very much like the Staple Singers rather than the Talking Heads.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2020 1:24 AM

And the winner is....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2020 1:40 AM

Fun songs.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2020 1:43 AM

Fun, taught all us paleorockers girls could do it too, and david byrne's whole manner of voice and stage presence let socially challenged uncomfortable guys know it was fun and cool to dance and loosen up in front of people. Wow. The whole conception of the band was genius, and Byrne was at its center.

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2020 4:18 AM

Chris Frantz's book comes out today, and it's an epic take-down of David Byrne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2020 8:57 PM

This is the most '80s thing to ever '80s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2020 9:34 PM

In my humble opinion a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2020 9:37 PM

The video is quintessential '80s but the song is iconic, and cathartic.

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2020 9:44 PM

They were interesting and I remember playing their music on my set on our college radio station. I also met and affiliated with some nice friends who bonded through a shared interest in New Wave music. RISD and Providence, Rhode Island was like the hip epicenter of things in the early 1980’s. I think Byrne is very attractive, and talented. I wasn’t surprised to learn that he has a form of autism recently, and I think some of his indifference to the shared experiences and recognition of his band mates is related in some way to that affective profile. I may read Franz’s memoir of his experiences with The Talking Heads. It sounds a bit like Blondie; Eccentric, talented, attractive people who were not very nice to each other and resent the disproportionate recognition of their key figures. That era of the music business seems rough and exploitive, and I think some creative, talented people remember their periods of fame with a lot of bitterness and disappointment. Some don’t speak about it, or even remember much of it.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2020 10:14 PM

Byrne wanted to kick Tina Weymouth out of the band but she was married to the drummer.

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2020 10:24 PM

Always liked this performance. What exactly is Tina Weymouth doing, tho?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2020 10:52 PM

Yes David Byrne had a lot of brilliant ideas musically and lyrically, but the other group members were also vital and valuable contributors to creating the music of Talking Heads. They weren't just session players and the tour band. You can't compare the dynamics of David Byrne and Talking Heads they way you would John Fogerty and CCR.

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote]Stop Making Sense really IS that great of a concert film

I saw it three times when it played in Harvard Sq. Jonathan Demme directed it and later directed "Silence of the Lambs".

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2020 11:38 PM

R41

Luca Guadagnino did his academic thesis about Jonathan Demme.

In CMBYN, Monet's berm scene, Elio wears a Talking Heads tee-shirt.

As a 1983 hipster would.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2020 3:31 AM

[Quote] I also went to their Hollywood Bowl concert (during the filmed tour) and had a great time.

Interesting. I was at the Hollywood Pantages shows when it was actually filmed. Amazing nights I will never forget.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2020 3:39 AM

Talking Heads '77 for shall ever be a classic. More Songs About Buildings And Food is an under appreciated treasure trove. Speaking In Tongues is their most underrated later album. This Must Be The Place needs more recognition.

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2020 3:47 AM

So, rock as an artform. Which was the best band, in this form?

For the purposes of discussion, let's exclude all those Brit bands, who are contenders.

Which was the best American Rock Band in history? Possible answers: the Byrds, Grateful Dead, Nirvana, REM, Eagles, Replacements (a personal fav)... but no band can make the claim as convincingly as Talking Heads.

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2020 3:49 AM

I have posted David Byrne performing I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) before and it sparks joy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2020 3:56 AM

I think it's fair to say, from a British perspective, Remain In Light and More Songs About Buildings And Food were much more popular in Britain, than they ever were in the States.

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2020 4:03 AM

Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott just started a new podcast about the band: U Talkin' Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head?

They discuss 77 in the first episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2020 4:04 AM

Interesting. A friend is a huge fan and had the opportunity to have lunch with him about five years ago to discuss a potential artistic collaboration. He turned up on the bike that he travels with everywhere (this wasn’t in the USA, UK or Europe). The meal was one-on-one - no publicists or hangers on, just her and DB. She said that he was absolutely charming and they had a fantastic long lunch in the sunshine drinking lots of wine. Then as they were saying goodbye she presented him with some merch from the festival that she was producing including a beach towel - he was completely thrilled with the beach towel, grabbed his goodies, jumped on his bike and cycled away.

The artistic collaboration never happened, sadly, but she has nothing but good things to say about one of her idols. Maybe he was just singing for his supper (or lunch, in this case) but my friend is pretty sharp and cynical and she had a great time with him.

For what it’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2020 5:12 AM

R49 Actually sounds very much like him, somI believe you 100%. I know the story always goes simiyto thos, but ... I met a friend who went to RISD, and she kept up with him for much of his life... In his defence, I think he may very well be brilliantly high-level functioning Aspergers.

My friend would often host him on her sailboat... this was ages ago, yet the same obtuse behaviour was noted to be exactly the same, in accordance with her anecdotes. Don't take it personally, as I believe those who are so talented in that regard, often have huge deficits we simply cannot comprehend. I probably heard these anecdotes twenty-five years or longer after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2020 5:27 AM

^ apologies for the formatting, my iPad is onnthe fritz...

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2020 5:29 AM

So has anyone read the Talking Heads drummer's book?

Any dirt?

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2020 12:02 AM

I've got some groceries, some peanut butter, to last a couple of days

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2020 1:14 AM

Love The Tom Tom Club. So danceable

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2020 1:32 AM

I think Chris and Tina are not as nice as they pretend to be.

And David lightly on the spectrum makes perfect sense. (Or should one stop making sense?)

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2020 1:52 AM

They don't seem nice to me at all, R55! They're like a dog with a bone, and they just refuse to let it go. Your band broke up 30 years ago, FFS. Get a life, and stop obsessing about a man who wants nothing to do with you. It's creepy.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2020 3:39 AM

R56 They're the only ones who didn't really have a big hit or career after TH ended. Jerry went on to become a big record producer, DB has a solo career. Chris and Tina only have Genius of Love.

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2020 3:54 AM

I'm sure they could have done more, R57-- I mean, they DO have the talent-- but for whatever reason, they just weren't hungry. Tina says she doesn't have "family money," but I've never believed her.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2020 4:03 AM

Love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2020 4:27 AM

Talking Heads - Burning Down the House live and Interview - Letterman 1983

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2020 4:42 AM

I haven't seen the David Byrne film by Spike Lee yet, can't wait

by Anonymousreply 61January 30, 2021 4:39 PM

Remember that scene in Risky Business?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 30, 2021 4:52 PM

Take me to the river, David

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2021 9:30 AM

I've nothing to add but that I loved their music. The Jonathan demme film was marvelous too.

I didn't party to much attention to the band - I was very busy! - but I liked tom Tom club.

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2021 12:53 PM

Before my time but it seems like that type of music, which as several of you have noted, seemed designed to appeal to an intellectual college audience, is not longer commercially viable. Vampire Weekend is the closest we've had in a while and the main similarity there is the audience, VW's music is nowhere near as memorable, (And they were big 15+ years ago too,)

It seems--and curious what those of you who were tapped in at the time think--that Talking Heads suffered commercially because they did not fit into any neat box, They weren't rock and roll, weren't really New Wave or Punk (though they were often lumped in together) and so the music industry didn't really know what to do with them or how to market them.

by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2021 1:12 PM

Heaven

Is a place

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2021 1:22 PM

[quote] Water dissolving and water removing, there is water at the bottom of the ocean

Ok. Spell it out r2.

by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2021 9:45 AM

Excellent music produced by a group of competent musicians led by a tweaky, aspie, and ultimately corporate minded self-obsessed, soulless aspie who used to put the aspie veneer on to take the piss, and who now cannot separate the aspie personality from what he really is: an aspie who's an asshole who throws his former band mates under the bus in the name of filthy lucre.

"More Songs About Buildings and Food", "Fear of Music", "Stop Making Sense (big long version)", are my faves. The version of "Heaven" on "Stop Making Sense" is one of the transcendent pieces of music where I actually live in the moment. The world could be blowing up and I wouldn't give a flying fuck.

by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2021 1:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!