Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shopping For Groceries Is Like Hell Right Now (PT 7)

New and improved with useful links!

Hoping your online shopping is better than your in-store experience.

by Anonymousreply 601June 4, 2020 2:31 AM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2020 12:59 AM

R2 here. Hi.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2020 1:26 AM

Thanks to all you very helpful folks in the last thread.

I love you more'n I love mah luggage!

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2020 1:27 AM

R600 here, posting from the future.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2020 1:28 AM

Are they ever going to have rubbing alcohol in the store again? Also, I haven't seen limes for a while. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2020 2:39 AM

On the Target web site, for some locations it says "no longer sold at xxxx store" and for delivery "no longer available". That is odd. It's not just saying "out of stock".

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2020 2:42 AM

R6 here. I just figured it out! That message was for the Target store brand of isopropyl alcohol. Now they have Swan brand, limited stock in store and "temporarily out of stock" for delivery.

They have plenty of "witch hazel" whatever that is.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 2:45 AM

I hate the empty shelves. I hate wearing a mask. Sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 2:51 AM

I swore I'd never shop at Walmart. Well I guess I'm a liar. They're the only place I can find anything so I have no morals.

To buy 2 (the limit) lousy bottles of 70% isopropyl alcohol I also ordered a package of 400 Bounty napkins, which I did not need. 1 box of ziplock freezer bags that I didn't need right now and 2 pairs of 10 dollar each draw string pajama bottoms, which I'm sure I won't wear to get free shipping. Maybe I can make masks out of the pajamas.

They could at least allowed 6 bottles. I spent 39 dollars to get something that cost 3.92.

Fucking virus!

PS thanks for starting a new thread OP.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 3:02 AM

Before this, I rarely shopped at Walmart. The one in my town isn't a supercenter, and it's always really crowded, so I shopped at Target 90% of the time. And I've always bought a lot at Amazon. But I've spent so much at Walmart in the past two months that I'm thinking about getting one of their credit cards that gives you 5% back (I already have those cards at Amazon and Target.) I've used the grocery pickup at least six times, and have ordered a lot of stuff for shipping that I couldn't get anywhere else: flour, paper towels, cleaning supplies and more. And their prices are still low.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 3:16 AM

I wonder if I should actually go to Walmart? I've never been to one, and I want to see the Walmart people.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 3:29 AM

thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 4:20 AM

I tried Amazon Pantry for the first time. It took a few days to get shipped but it was great for buying dry goods. I got laundry detergent, soup, crackers, packs of flavored noodles and rice, flavored instant coffee, nuts, paper plates, and Pepsi (I did not see Coke)

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 5:27 AM

R23 again I just looked and I was wrong, Amazon Pantry does have Coke

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2020 5:30 AM

Oops that should be R13 I suck at typing on my phone with no glasses

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2020 5:31 AM

The worst thing about mostly isolating since March is I feel FAT. The choice is Covid-19 or fat.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2020 6:08 AM

I asked this question before but didn't get a straight answer. Maybe someone knows for sure. Can I put the 70% rubbing alcohol I got at Walmart in a spray bottle and just use it straight as a disinfectant on surfaces, groceries, keys etc.? Would it be as effective as the Clorox and Lysol sprays I have been using but now running out of? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2020 6:51 AM

Yes you can or just take your alcohol and make your own wipes.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Yes R17. Use it without mixing with water or you will dilute and reduce the effectiveness. Be aware it will dissolve glue so labels may fall off grocery items. I use it to spray my phone every day when I get home. That's the only thing I bother disinfecting (other than washing my hands of course).

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Yes, I clean for a living and one trick I do is just put new, clean sprayers (from those $2 empty spray bottles at Home Depot) right on top of your 91% alcohol or 70% alcohol, and your 3% hydrogen peroxide. Don't dilute.

Spray your surfaces with one or the other. Drink some coffee for a few minutes. Use a cloth or paper towel to wipe again from one end to the other. Do kitcen, then bathroom, then sit and finish coffee. Done.

But, if your surfaces haven't been cleaned in a while, use a clean sponge with hot water and a drop of Dawn ( or other) and wipe your surfaces first. Then rinse sponge with hot water and wipe surfaces again. THEN do the sanitizing step with your hydrogen peroxide or alcohol. Be sure to let sit for a few minutes (dwell time) then use a dry cloth or paper towel to wipe these surfaces last. HP can bleach some surfaces. Bleach can too. With bathrooms especially, I do the sanitizing step with 1TB bleach in 32oz spray bottle.

Always remember, if you want the cleanest clean, it's 2 steps, first clean, then sanitize.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2020 8:20 AM

Great tip R20 thanks

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2020 10:51 AM

R10, same here. They aren't in close proximity to me (Burbank being over the hill, God forbid) but it has been worth it. Cheap prices, some food I won't find anywhere else, and the experience has not been so terrible.

R11, right now, I'm seeing a lot of all kinds of people which kind of diminishes the typical 'Walmart shopper' you may be thinking of. However, you can always find a shopper or two on their mobility scooters/electric wheelchairs.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2020 10:57 AM

r9 I wouldn't make masks from the pajamas. They are treated with a fire retardant and I don't think that would be very safe to breath in.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2020 11:35 AM

The last time I went to a Walmart one of the checkers was wearing a full burka with only her eyes and part of her forehead exposed. I think she had a Walmart smock on top.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2020 11:47 AM

Sylvia, what time of day did you find those disinfectant wipes? It's one of the few things I'm still trying to get hold of, mainly for my light stockpiling for when this all gets worse again in the fall and winter.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2020 12:13 PM

R25 Oddly enough it was Wednesday at just before 6:00pm EST.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2020 12:33 PM

Thanks Sylvia, I'll keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2020 12:51 PM

I went to the Costco Business Center in Las Vegas yesterday. They now have 25 pound bags of flour, and yeast. Still no regular size tomato sauce or paste, which they usually carry. The only canned beans I remember are restaurant size #10 cans. I guess you could open one of those, divide it up and freeze it.

The meat situation there is telling. Lots of whole unsliced ham and pork type stuff in the refrigerated section. A lot of it had red, white and green Italian looking labeling. They must have bought out a ham processor. Ham everything.

I saw a man and woman, obviously together. Each had their own shopping cart. The man’s cart was filled with ham and the woman’s cart was filled with chicken and more ham. The ham is not cheap. It must have been hundreds of dollars of merchandise.

I went last week and they had shelf stable summer sausage. That’s completely gone and they now have “Chinese style” shelf stable sausage that is untouched. Remember, Covid can live in the freezer, but if a product is shelf stable, I would think it would have to die out from exposure to room temperatures. The sausage is in a shrink wrap type wrapping that can be cleaned easily. Or just leave it out on the counter for a few days before putting it away, it’s shelf stable. I use it in lentil soup or beans and rice.

They also did not have any toilet paper, except for large commercial rolls of Marathon brand, but lots of paper towels. Last week they had plenty of toilet paper, several brands.

People are still not reassured it seems, no matter what Trump says.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2020 2:19 PM

I feel fat because I've gained weight. I have been overdoing carbs, and I LOVE potato chips. Plain salty potato chips. And bread. Toasted bread. Nothing is more satisfying that two or three slices of toasted bread slathered with Peanut butter. As a snack. I'm also eating more desserts like pies, cakes, pound cake, ice cream, etc. I hate myself.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2020 2:29 PM

I do not know if this works but I saw a comment on FB where this person said they bought baby wipes and poured rubbing alcohol in it...

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2020 2:56 PM

For the more rural DLers like myself, I found a big 48 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol at a farm and feed store. It doesn't smell like the normal rubbing alcohol, but if it works...

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2020 2:57 PM

Back in late March or April I bought 2 gallons of 70% isopropyl alcohol at a pet supply place for 65 dollars each. That's like 15 times the price it was in February at Costco or Target. I'm not well off financially but I was desperate to have something to wipe off things. I did without much food in order to have that. I curse the fuckers who gouged people that way. Yes I was the fool who paid but still. The gougers during this virus should be put in prison. I still don't know if I bought real 70% isopropyl alcohol for human use.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2020 3:51 PM

The Walmart website has so much more in stock than Target.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2020 3:52 PM

R32 what pet store did you buy that from?

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2020 4:09 PM

r22 I'm in SoCal, too (San Gabriel Valley). I don't think I made it clear in my post, but I don't actually go inside Walmart at all -- I just do the grocery pickup where they bring your order out to your car. And I think my post was confusing when I mentioned that the Walmart in my town isn't a supercenter (i.e., doesn't have a full grocery department.) I go to the next closest Walmart (or the second closest sometimes) to do the grocery pickup.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2020 4:21 PM

There are "Family Farm & Home" stores near me that have one-gallon jugs of 70% isopropyl alcohol in stock for $19.99. You have to go in the store to get them (no delivery or curbside pickup) but the store is never terribly busy. I think they're only in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2020 4:29 PM

I'm going to add something to r20's comment. If you do have 91% alcohol, dilute it until it's 70%. The higher the alcohol percentage, the faster it evaporates, and the less effective it is in killing bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2020 4:57 PM

R37 By bacteria, do you perhaps mean virus? Or germs overall (which would include both bacteria and virus)?

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2020 5:57 PM

Walmart just emailed me that my bleach shipped, so thanks again DLers for the tip

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2020 6:05 PM

Isn't it crazy that the world has changed so much that we now get excited about things like bleach and toilet paper? I never could have imagined the world the way it is now.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2020 6:09 PM

R40: It isn't the world that has changed, but humanity. I feel ashamed after reading among the displays of privilege, selfishness, greed, obsession, sloth and consumption posted in this thread series.

This is why we hate us.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2020 6:31 PM

piccardmeds4pets. com R34. This was back in late March or early April when no one had any. I've since found them every now and then at Walmart.com for $1.99 for 32 ounces or 8 dollars for a gallon, as opposed to over 60 and I know the Walmart one is meant for humans.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2020 6:36 PM

R41 your comment casts a very wide net. Which side of the net are you on? Presumably since you are the one casting the net everyone is horrible except yourself of course?

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2020 6:42 PM

I shop at the DollarTree and I have always seen bleach, napkins, paper towels and kleenex for sale.

But almost immediately, way back in March, toilet paper, rubbing alcohol , hydrogen peroxide along with hand sanitizer and liquid soap disappeared from their stores and have not been back in stock. The Dollar Tree always has bar soap in stock at rock bottom prices, 3 bars for one dollar.

There is no shortage of bar soap and this is what I use at home.

I have seen (and purchased) toilet paper, rubbing alcohol , hydrogen peroxide, wipes, liquid soap and even hand sanitizer at Whole Foods and Harmon's. I was able to purchase a 5 pound bag of flour at Whole Foods (in store) for 3 dollars and 50 cents, this is the same price Walmart online charges.

But I dislike having to shop around because I am convinced this practice is sure to spread this terrible virus. Containing this virus is critical to "getting back to normal". We have not archived this goal in the US.

The line situation is still out of control and more than a few people will not social distance or wear a face covering in public.

I don't know how we will manage all this in the raging hot summer months, this virus isn't going anywhere. Long ass lines and having to traipse from one store to the next is sure to keep it in circulation.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2020 7:08 PM

R44 maybe try shopping in the late evening? I usually go about an hour before the stores close and no lines. But of course it could vary by location. In the early days, lots of things got sold out in the mornings but the hoarding/inventory disruption has subsided except for the usual items people have been posting about.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2020 7:12 PM

Hand Sanitizer is available right now on Walmart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2020 7:30 PM

The big stores like Target, Home Depot and Walmart are to blame for sending crowds out there into the stores. If you go to the website most of the big stores say the products most wanted are only available in the store, not for delivery. WTF is that. Do they deliberately want people coming into the store, spreading the virus, figuring if they come for disinfecting wipes they're sure to buy a lot of crap they don't need. I can't see any other reason for it. They charge as much online as in the store and they do get people to buy shit they don't need so avoid the delivery charge. In most cases I pay the delivery fee as it is much cheaper than buying shit I don't want or need.

Why don't they make more available online? Also what is this crap about not delivering to certain zip codes. What the fucking hell does it matter what your zip code is if you're willing to pay the price for the product and the shipping fee if you don't spend enough. I spent $5.99 on shipping at Walmart for 2 bottles of alcohol that cost under 4 bucks for the actual product. Yet if you go to their disinfecting wipes page all you see is for store purchase only, fucking Target is the same for almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2020 7:36 PM

These stores are in business to make money. They were forced to cobble together a response to this health threat when the Feds refused to. Their delayed response was crippled by the lack of leadership (information) from the feds, and a health crisis that has sickened and killed some of their workers along with panicked customers who overshopped and hoarded. The stores management initially did not care if one customer purchased two thousand rolls of toilet paper.

Their policy was revised much later when it was clear that hoarding is a direct threat to containing this virus.

People running in and out of stores around town looking for toilet paper and waiting in two hour lines? This is sure to keep the virus in circulation.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote] Also what is this crap about not delivering to certain zip codes. What the fucking hell does it matter what your zip code is if you're willing to pay the price for the product and the shipping fee if you don't spend enough

It's a mystery to me, and potentially deadly to those of us who are high risk and cannot go into a store.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2020 8:03 PM

I tried to purchase two bottles of hand sanitizer from the link above, there is a one bottle per customer transaction limit. Shipping charges are 6 dollars.

One bottle of hand sanitizer plus shipping = 12 dollars?

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2020 8:04 PM

The hand sanitizer that was available to order at R46 five minutes ago is now for in store purchase only.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2020 8:04 PM

r37, bacteria. Alcohol takes longer in killing viruses than soap. It needs to be on the surface for at least 30 seconds to be effective. Ethyl alcohol is better than isopropyl alcohol. Most alcohols sold in drugstores are isopropyl, so I don't want people to feel overly confident that they are eliminating the virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2020 8:11 PM

r50 Just add some more stuff to get to the free shipping minimum. You can get all kinds of things at walmart.com -- food (nonperishable), clothing, electronics, paper products, kitchen stuff, batteries. Surely you can stock up on something.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote]Ethyl alcohol is better than isopropyl alcohol. Most alcohols sold in drugstores are isopropyl, so I don't want people to feel overly confident that they are eliminating the virus.

You linked to a document from 2008. As far as I am aware, current and specific CDC guidance on the coronavirus doesn't distinguish between ethyl and isopropyl alcohol.

The most common active ingredients found in the CDC/EPA list of recommended disinfectant cleaning products that can be used to disinfect a surface from the coronavirus are:

Ethanol alcohol (60%-90%)*

Hydrogen peroxide

Isopropyl alcohol (60%-90%)

Quaternary Ammonium

Sodium hypochlorite

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2020 8:28 PM

R50, if youre talking about the link to Walmart, keep in mind that the bottle is 60 ounces and as someone else mentioned, add things to your cart to get the free shipping.

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2020 8:30 PM

Hand Sanitizer showing as back in stock:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2020 8:32 PM

Not about groceries, but a general rant.

Sometimes on off days I start suspecting that some (not all, but some) retailers are using the pandemic as an excuse to slack off and provide shit service. I ordered an office chair for my partner (we'll be working from home for at least another month yet, and the dining chair is hurting his back) from The Container Store two weeks ago. Two weeks! And all I have to show for it are a sequence of hand-wringing emails: "We apologize for the delay truly appreciate your continued patience...etc etc etc."

Seriously? I cannot imagine that The Container Store is overwhelmed with demand. Some people want bins to keep all of the flour and dry good they're hoarding, but most people buy that stuff at Walmart. WTF, Container Store??

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2020 8:33 PM

R57 Sylvia, I agree. Have been waiting on some things for close to a month.

My husband lucked out, we got this office chair from Office Depot within a matter of days. But I am waiting on a Home Depot order that they said would be here today, but hasn't even been shipped.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2020 8:36 PM

It isn't just that an issue of the store shouldn't be that busy so your order should come quickly... it's an issue of only so many options for delivery being available. UPS, Fedex, USPS, are apparently overwhelmed.

Still waiting on items from Walmart placed back in March.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2020 8:42 PM

I buy a lot of stuff from The Container Store, now. I never used to. I wanted some milk crates so I could put food or water in them and stack them. Walmart has some, but they’re so incredibly flimsy if you put a handkerchief in it, it would collapse. I bought a lot of containers that are more expensive than I normally would, because I was not going through Walmart over and over in February, and because I realized that storing stuff correctly was going to end up being a big deal later. I just don’t have ton of space to throw everything loose in a huge cabinet. I don’t have a huge cabinet.

Maybe people that shop at The Container Store have money and no room. They also seem to have very little staff at the stores.

If you’re looking for furniture items, try Home Depot or Walmart online. They both have a huge amount of stuff online that’s never in the store. Home Depot carries a lot of furniture. Check Lowe’s too, maybe they do too.

Another thing you can do if you’re looking for something simple like an office chair, is search online for store availability, or see if they’ll ship it to the store and you can pick it up there. If they ship to the store, there’s no mail carrier involved and it might be faster. It’s all truck or rail straight to the store.

If you order to pick up at Home Depot, you can go at 6:00 am when there’s nobody there and get in and out really fast. I was there at opening time a couple of weeks ago and it was me and about eight guys in the whole store. You could be in and out in a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2020 8:48 PM

I understand it not being lightning quick shipping as before.

But the weird thing is that several companies - Home Depot and Sally Beauty, among them - sent me "we shipped your package" emails two weeks ago.

Yet they haven't even been handed over to UPS.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2020 9:56 PM

I had that happen with home depot for my kitchenaid stand mixer. I called customer support (a very nice woman who was working from home) and she said it was due to be shipped on x date, about 2 weeks after I was talking to her. we had a great conversation and boop, coincidentally it shipped that day.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2020 10:01 PM

All this talk about peroxide ... what about those of us who are getting desperate for HENNA?

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2020 10:14 PM

And now Amazon Fresh has stopped attended delivery, which means they bring it to your door. If you live in an apartment as I do they will just dump the things in the lobby. So I guess Bezos, who btw is now close to being a trillionaire, and he has Covid to thank for it, figures it's cheaper to fuck over customers than buy some dirt cheap masks for his employees. Fuck Amazon. I'm done with getting groceries from them

Oh and I'm not lazy, I disabled and I'm one of the people who is at high risk and I have not left my apartment in a week short of 3 months. So going to the lobby isn't an option.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2020 10:51 PM

r64 that's a long time to be cooped up. Are you doing ok?

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2020 10:58 PM

R64 I'm not exactly disabled but am high risk and have a bad knee, so I feel you, gurl. Aside from a nervous walk around the block here and there, I have not been out of the house since mid February.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2020 11:14 PM

FUCK JEFF BEZOS! Robots are treated better than humans! ---

Amazon has repeatedly declined to comment on how many warehouse employees have died from the virus nationwide. Leigh’s passing marks the sixth known case of an Amazon worker who has died from the virus, following reports of deaths in Jeffersonville, Indiana; Waukegan, Illinois; Staten Island, New York; Hawthorne, California, and Tracy, California.

The company hasn’t provided a total number of workers who have tested positive for the coronavirus at its facilities. As a result, Amazon workers have attempted to keep an unofficial tally of confirmed and unconfirmed cases nationwide. Jana Jumpp, an Amazon worker in Indiana who has been tracking the cases, estimates at least 900 employees have contracted the coronavirus and at least 10 workers have died. Amazon operates 175 warehouses across the country and some warehouses have reported dozens of cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2020 12:27 AM

Went to my local ALDi in new haven CT around 12 noon today. 30 minute wait to get in, people with several spawn, which is still bizarre to me. Anyhow, plenty of rice, produce, dairy, decent amount of meat but limited to two meats total. They had lots of yeast and bleach.

No flour, no paper products or wipes, no multi vitamins. All in all once inside the store it was much more civilized than the bigger groceries who are not controlling crowd quantities. Everyone was keeping distance pretty well.

So I’m set for another 2 weeks. Then i stopped and bought my flowers and vegetables seedlings to plant this weekend. I

I did wear mask, gloves and have added glasses to my ensemble because I'm worried about those droplets getting in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2020 12:55 AM

I planted wildflower seeds, R68. May we see growth and beauty in these uncertain times.

by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2020 1:31 AM

Joy at the Brawley CA Wally World.... bars of soap... Zest and Irish Spring.... takes the hide right off you but it’s soap. BTW, tip for Wal Mart shoppers. I find that if you dress super kookie, other shoppers give you a wide berth. Me today....sombrero, camouflage shorts, bandanna and cowboy boots. I had isles all to myself!!!

by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2020 1:58 AM

I get it. You love Walmart. I'd rather wipe my ass with newspaper than shop at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2020 3:47 AM

Do you shop Amazon, r71? If so, far worse.

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2020 4:10 AM

Walmart has the most depressing lighting I've ever seen. Makes everything less attractive.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2020 4:12 AM

R72 Exactly. At least Walmart employ's local people and pays taxes to the local community and state. Amazon fought tooth and nail to try to get out of paying sales taxes.

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2020 4:16 AM

[quote] kookie

Oh, dear.

[quote] isles

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2020 4:19 AM

Wipes are in stock, but it says only 3 left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2020 4:22 AM

R75 kookie, doesn't deserve an "oh, dear!" It is an actual, if slang, word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2020 4:30 AM

R74 you realize it's the CUSTOMER, not the merchant, who pays sales tax, right? The merchant collects it from the customer and remits it. So Amazon not charging sales tax didn't mean they were benefiting....they were simply not charging the customer sales tax.

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2020 5:17 AM

They were benefiting by being able to charge less than the competition. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2020 5:25 AM

The benefit was to the customer. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2020 5:41 AM

R80 no, by not charging sales tax they were being given an unfair advantage, allowing them to undercut other merchants. Amazon also got to save the administrative costs. Also, the customers were still on the hook for including and paying sales tax on their yearly state tax returns. It is also more than sales tax, when they build a distribution center they get the local and state governments to agree not to charge property tax for many years.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2020 5:58 AM

Just tried Target same-day delivery for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have lots of open spots all day and I should get my order at 10am -- hopefully a COMPLETE order, not half my stuff "unavailable".

Also surprising is they have no option to include a tip for the delivery person. I'm gonna give them some cash but what's with Target? Do their workers get great salaries and the company frowns on outside benefits?

by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2020 8:57 AM

I hate that with all the store closures, I now have to buy poppers online. However, I just got a great deal from one online source. Bottles of Locker Room were $1 off and if you bought six of them, you got one bottle free as a bonus. So I now have 7 unopened bottles of poppers. I figure I'm now good for poppers till 4th of July.

by Anonymousreply 83May 16, 2020 11:01 AM

When it says something is in stock, does it mean it’s currently on shelves? It could be in the back of the store

by Anonymousreply 84May 16, 2020 11:44 AM

R84, why ask a question like that without telling us what "it" is? No one has any idea what you're looking at or which store you're shopping. What you posted is fatally flawed and totally pointless.

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2020 1:15 PM

There are some pluses to ordering non-perishables from places like Walmart (often to fill out an order of things you need in order to reach the free delivery threshold.) I was able to get brands that aren't sold in my area (e.g., Utz potato chips in California) and items that are difficult to find in stores even in normal times (e.g., certain types of Pepperidge Farm cookies).

by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2020 1:28 PM

Good luck finding bleach. And paper towels. Fucking frau hoarders.

by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2020 1:42 PM

Bleach and paper towels? In stock at the Dollar Tree. No shortages.

Not in stock?

toilet paper

hydrogen peroxide

rubbing alcohol

hand sanitizer

liquid soap

clorox wipes

by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2020 1:47 PM

R87, Harris Teeter has huge supply of paper towels

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2020 1:55 PM

Utz is not near as good as it used to be since it was sold. It was my second choice as the best chips ever made but that changed. The first one was I think called Eagle chips by Anheuser-Busch. They were the very best and no one has ever come close. I never understood why they didn't make it.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2020 1:56 PM

Another tip for those of you who need items to fill up a Walmart or Target shipping order to reach the free shipping threshold: add toiletry and household items. You can always use more toothpaste, hair product, laundry detergent, sponges, dishwashing liquid and/or dishwasher detergent, Kleenex, bar soap, body wash, anti-perspirant, shampoo, office supplies, etc. These things don't spoil and most don't take up a lot of space.

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2020 2:38 PM

Ok now we are getting to be a bit much @r91.

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2020 3:22 PM

I'm in Los Angeles and have taken to doing any grocery shopping right when the store opens. I've been (pleasantly) surprised to discover that I'm often the only shopper or just one of a handful. There isn't a line to get in, I don't have to work too hard for social distancing and I figure the store is probably cleaned from the previous day's traffic and/or and virus droplets have fallen to the floor or at least lost some of their potency overnight. I've had great success with Ralphs, Vons and Smart and Final. Haven't tried TJ's and there is always a long line first thing at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2020 3:36 PM

R93: Same in Jersey City. I found that stores I dreaded like Shoprite and Acme are empty at 8am in the morning on weekdays. In and out with most of my items by 9am. At my work Zoom by 10am.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2020 3:47 PM

Alert: Costco has the blue Scott Shop Towel paper towels in stock online. The virus-filtering kind.

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2020 4:10 PM

Ditto R86

I ordered Duke's mayonnaise, unavailable on the East Coast.

Have not tried it yet as we still have an mostly full jar of Hellmans

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2020 4:20 PM

NYCTechie I went to SR yesterday afternoon around 3 no waiting to get into the store I was able to get what I needed and get out fast. There was only a few people at the checkout waiting. Perhaps the panic is subsiding, I did notice earlier in the week more people are shopping at Target for groceries but there was no was it to get into the store.

by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2020 4:58 PM

Sent my Walmart cart through yesterday without wipes. But hopefully get the hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol and peroxide I want.

Honestly, I am mostly caught up now on the high demand items. If I could just find one more container of wipes (70ish count) I would probably be fine until fall.

by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2020 5:03 PM

Back in stock and available for shipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2020 6:15 PM

I ordered the hand sanitizer at the link the other day from Walmart and just received notification that it's shipped.

by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2020 6:21 PM

Thank you again DL SFGILHRN friends.

Just got two big bottles of bleach from Walmart delivered today.

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2020 6:54 PM

Thank you, I ordered the hand sanitizer from walmart. It is 60 ounces and should last for a year.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2020 8:43 PM

R83, Poppers cause damage to your eyes. Google it.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2020 9:35 PM

Costco has Clorox wipes available. A 5 pack for $16.99. You have to pay $3 in shipping (unless you have over $75 worth of items).

DL won't let me post a link for it but you can search it and find it on the Costco site.

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2020 9:53 PM

LOL maybe we should have a whole new thread series titled "Clorox Wipes - Wiped out Part 1". It will be up to 100 threads within weeks.

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2020 9:56 PM

Jesus fucking Christ, they are STILL NOT FUCKING AVAILABLE. Sold out at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2020 10:00 PM

R99 I got it and Lysol in store, today, in South Carolina. I felt like I struck gold!

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2020 10:35 PM

I went to Costco about ten minutes after they opened. They had chicken and beef and pork in limited supply. Only 3 items per member. They also had a limit on canned Tuna . But they had toilet paper and paper towels and kleenex. I just got some toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2020 10:47 PM

I think there was an interview recently with the head of Clorox who says that wipes will be back on the shelves come June.

Says they are working night and day.

Problem is that now people who never bought them before are doing so and causing the shortage.

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2020 12:31 AM

That’s true, R109. But people didn’t really need them before this and now they do, so who can blame them?

by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2020 12:34 AM

Actually, R109, the reason is that the supplies to make them come from China. Surprise, surprise.

[quote]They also had a limit on canned Tuna

Is this something new that's going to happen now, too? Are the fish packing plants affected too? Haven't heard about it on the news like the meat processing plants. Or, is it that people are buying tuna now if they can't get other meat?

by Anonymousreply 111May 17, 2020 12:41 AM

Things like Tuna and Chili and canned vegetables were quickly gone in stores around me when this all first started. Makes perfect sense. All of those things can be saved and stored for years in case of an emergency. Not surprised they'd be the first thing people grabbed to stock up on.

by Anonymousreply 112May 17, 2020 12:58 AM

Some fat whore in Alabama is trying to sell the wipes that one can buy in Walmart for about ten bucks....for EIGHTY bucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2020 1:07 AM

I thought Ebay was going to ban stuff like that, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2020 1:20 AM

R114 I think they try but either this flew under the radar or isn't heinous enough to be reported.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2020 1:25 AM

Report it!

by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2020 1:31 AM

SOMEONE must have reported their ass b/c the listing has ended!

by Anonymousreply 117May 17, 2020 1:33 AM

But someone bought them before for 65 bucks

by Anonymousreply 118May 17, 2020 1:34 AM

I have canned tuna and salmon, smoked salmon, and canned chili. But I plan on eating fresh fruits and vegetables and the frozen pork and chcken I have in the freezer first. I want my dried beans and the other canned stuff to be there if we experience a spike and we are told to shelter in place. I expect that to happen sometime in September or October the latest.

by Anonymousreply 119May 17, 2020 1:37 AM

R97/JCGuy: Thanks! That's good to know. The previous times I went to Shoprite, there was a long line to Marin and I kept going to Target (and prob. paid twice as much with missing items/subs). BJ's still has a line, but I don't really bother going there anyway.

by Anonymousreply 120May 17, 2020 2:07 AM

I have somehow acquired way too many cans of tuna. I don't even like tuna. Maybe once a year on a sandwich, with mayo, celery and a spot of relish. I want to give a few cans away. I feel pretty stocked and ready to get this Covid19 done and out.

by Anonymousreply 121May 17, 2020 4:37 AM

R107, where in SC did you get Lysol?

by Anonymousreply 122May 17, 2020 4:59 AM

packing as I type.

by Anonymousreply 123May 17, 2020 5:00 AM

The actual Lysol spray?

by Anonymousreply 124May 17, 2020 5:00 AM

SC midlands area Walmarts, I had to go to two separate ones to get both. It was actual Lysol spray. You have to be crafty to find it. If you see stockers on the aisle, look at the boxes they have on their carts. Also, look at the unpacked boxes they place on the top shelf and check behind the cans of other products.

by Anonymousreply 125May 17, 2020 5:07 AM

I can concur on the post above about checking the top shelves. I've gotten Lysol 3 different times (in California) by looking on the very top shelf. Each time it's been in a box that is hard to notice.

by Anonymousreply 126May 17, 2020 5:10 AM

[R114] I think they try but either this flew under the radar or isn't heinous enough to be reported.

They try but they can't keep up with all the profiteering assholes. Some of them are getting awfully sneaky about it too, like listing a t-shirt for $5 with a can of Lysol as a 'free bonus', and then charging $30 for shipping. If you come cross anything like that, report that shit.

by Anonymousreply 127May 17, 2020 10:09 AM

I'm in 'lanta, and found Clorox in half gallon containers, as well as Clorox disinfectant/anti bacterial spray at Kroger, but they would only let me have one. I got toilet paper, chicken and pork at Costco, as well as toilet paper, and a big bottle of some off brand hand sanitizer, too.

Certain things look kind of off to me in general. As I made my mid-month rounds, I noticed that even supplies of dry goods and pantry items are low. I'm thinking the truckers or wholesalers who send us that stuff are having problems., either at the point of origination where they're produced, or in packing, loading, and shipping that stuff.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of wholesalers are having problems with workers, besides food and meat processing Maybe they're trying to function with fewer people becuase their workers are sick, or because they aren't showing up.

by Anonymousreply 128May 17, 2020 1:33 PM

I went to my supermarket in nyc and at the checkout, I saw someone buying Clorox wipes! I don't use this at home.

I am starting to see a lot of hand sanitizer but from brands I've never heard of, they are probably OK but I didn't pick them up. Many of them are watery...I prefer the gel kind. You can find them at CVS or Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 129May 17, 2020 2:36 PM

Here's a new shortage: I can't find shelf-stable extra-firm tofu anywhere online besides restaurant supply companies.

by Anonymousreply 130May 17, 2020 3:02 PM

that's where I had to get canned libby's pumpkin for my dogs r130.

by Anonymousreply 131May 17, 2020 3:09 PM

If anyone is really desperate for wipes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 17, 2020 4:12 PM

How to make bleach-based disinfectant wipes:

Put on gloves and open a window for proper ventilation. Mix ingredients in an airtight container. Depending on the volume you're looking for, the ratios are either 5 tablespoons of bleach to 1 gallon of water or 4 teaspoons bleach to 1 quart of water. Submerge your paper towels or cloths completely into the diluted bleach for at least 5 minutes to soak up the solution effectively. Tightly close the container. According to the CDC, bleach solutions will only be effective for disinfection up to 24 hours. After that time, you’ll need to make a new batch of diluted bleach every time you want to use disinfectant wipes. How to make alcohol-based disinfectant wipes:

Put on gloves. If using 91% isopropyl alcohol, mix 7 cups of alcohol with 3 cups of water. If using 95% ethanol (otherwise known as grain alcohol), mix 6 cups of alcohol with 4 cups of water. Place your paper towels or cloths into an airtight container and fill it with your newly diluted alcohol solution until they are completely submerged. Wait 5 minutes before using so your paper towels or wipes can properly soak up the solution. Tightly close the container and store your wipes in a dark, cool place to prevent alcohol evaporation (or place in a plastic sealable bag for portable wipes).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 17, 2020 4:20 PM

What do you suppose might be the erotic possibilities of Clorox wipes?

by Anonymousreply 134May 17, 2020 4:23 PM

Thank you R132. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 135May 17, 2020 6:30 PM

[quote]I feel fat because I've gained weight. I have been overdoing carbs, and I LOVE potato chips. Plain salty potato chips. And bread. Toasted bread. Nothing is more satisfying that two or three slices of toasted bread slathered with Peanut butter. As a snack. I'm also eating more desserts like pies, cakes, pound cake, ice cream, etc. I hate myself.

No need to hate yourself- many of us coped the same way. I resorted to intermittant fasting to get rid of the Twinkie weight.

by Anonymousreply 136May 17, 2020 8:50 PM

intermittent, darling. Not intermittant

by Anonymousreply 137May 17, 2020 8:52 PM

Whatever, bitch. My pants are 3 sizes smaller, not matter how it's spelled.

[quote]the weird thing is that several companies - Home Depot and Sally Beauty, among them - sent me "we shipped your package" emails two weeks ago. Yet they haven't even been handed over to UPS.

Many companies have an automatic notice that goes out when they print shipping labels. It doesn't actually mean the item has left their warehouse or store yet.

by Anonymousreply 138May 17, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote] My pants are 3 sizes smaller, not matter how it's spelled.

Sorry. Very rude of me, didn't realize English was your second language. Congrats on the weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 139May 17, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote] Many companies have an automatic notice that goes out when they print shipping labels. It doesn't actually mean the item has left their warehouse or store yet.

it's one thing if that lag is a day or two or three, understandable.

I have items that were bought April 15 and April 20, respectively, from major retailers, and they still show as "shipment ready" with no further activity.

by Anonymousreply 140May 17, 2020 9:08 PM

My guess is that they automatically printed the labels along with the order and both are sitting in a pile somewhere, or the labels were slapped on the packages back then, and are now sitting in a pile somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 141May 17, 2020 9:23 PM

Waiting for someone to come in and pack the boxes.

Well, I'll give them 45-60 days and then I'll get my money back.

by Anonymousreply 142May 17, 2020 9:26 PM

In the supermarkets near me all of the aisles are one way now.

by Anonymousreply 143May 17, 2020 9:52 PM

R143 But, do people follow the arrows?

by Anonymousreply 144May 17, 2020 10:01 PM

When parents are on their devices, they have fewer conversations with their children and become more hostile when children try to get their attention, researchers from Illinois State University and University of Michigan Medical School found.

The new study, published in the journal Pediatric Research, studied nearly 200 two-parent families with children under age 5.

The parents documented how many times per day that devices interrupted conversations or activities with their children, between the years 2014 and 2016. They rated their child’s reaction to this behavior, such as how many times they sulked or said their feelings were hurt.

by Anonymousreply 145May 17, 2020 10:03 PM

Not where I shop, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 146May 17, 2020 10:03 PM

Wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 147May 17, 2020 10:03 PM

Went to a bakery today and wanted to slap every cunt in that store. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 148May 18, 2020 12:16 AM

Somebody on one of these threads mentioned Lowe’s being restocked with N95 masks.

I checked that out. They were N95 masks with valves. N95 masks with valves are not recommended to protect from Coronavirus because the valve part has no filter. When you breathe out, your unfiltered breath goes out a hole and can contaminate people or things around you. They’re not made to protect from viruses, they’re made to protect from sawdust and the like.

The kind you want are N95 masks with no valve. The valve is the little plastic square in the front. The front should be solid, without a plastic piece in the front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 18, 2020 2:05 AM

Has anyone heard of Tidy Ace before? There was a link to it on the latest Next Door (NYC) posting in my inbox. It looks like a home cleaning service. On their main page, they have added grocery shopping, starting at $6.98 per job. That is pretty cheap. I wonder if it's always been that cheap or is this company hurting for business and dropped prices due to recent circumstances.

I'm not at the point of needing this yet, but I'm going to bookmark them in the off chance that I can't get any open slots with Instacart or Amazon Fresh, I can get this company to run over to the local Stop and Shop if need be. Has anyone tried this service before for grocery shopping?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 18, 2020 2:29 AM

[quote]I curse the fuckers who gouged people that way. Yes I was the fool who paid but still.

We've been having trouble getting tissues and paper towels we used to get monthly with Amazon's subscribe and save, and we now have to buy different versions of those items at much more expensive prices. Prices on regular items are absolutely going up, more so for paper products. Plus, I ended up spending $10 on 8 ounces of a spray sanitizer that has rubbing alcohol in it, just to have on hand for the second (or third) wave that's surely coming. Add in the cost for grocery delivery and tips and I'm spending nearly double on groceries.

The only reason this is affordable for me is because I'm not going out to eat anymore and am saving quite a bit that way, but price increases are going to keep happening and soon we'll all be eating ramen and peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 151May 18, 2020 10:57 AM

For those still looking for bleach, Amazon goes in and out of stock on Clorox bleach granules, aka "splashless" bleach. They can be added to water to make regular bleach. This is kind of pricey (I got mine in March for $14.99 and now it's up to $24.99) so I recommend looking for another offer, but a three-pack like this is going to last forever. For one load of white laundry I only need to use one cap full of crystals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 18, 2020 10:58 AM

A tip for those who want to have free shipping at Walmart but don't want to spend extra time shopping and possibly lose whatever they just bought: log in and add things to your cart right now that you'll want or need, things which are already in stock. Then when you check in to the website to see if they have wipes or bleach or whatever, if they do, add it to your cart right then and check out immediately, before the wipes or bleach sell out.

by Anonymousreply 153May 18, 2020 10:59 AM

The supermarket has been out of meat and poultry for days. However, they have plenty of seafood which is weird because I live in a landlocked state. I never thought I'd say this but I'm sick of eating shrimp and lobster.

by Anonymousreply 154May 18, 2020 11:04 AM

Aldi has had bleach consistently for the past three weeks in CT.

by Anonymousreply 155May 18, 2020 11:04 AM

R149 Couldn't you just buy those and put a piece of tape over the valve bit?

by Anonymousreply 156May 18, 2020 11:51 AM

[quote]I can't find shelf-stable extra-firm tofu anywhere

Unintended pandemic benefit.

by Anonymousreply 157May 18, 2020 12:02 PM

R156, no, I guess not. I read the state of California has specifically told people not to use these, because they don’t work. They’re worried about spread. That’s why Lowe’s has them, because they’re no good.

About bleach, remember bleach has a short shelf life and summer is coming. As it ages, it’s less effective. So there’s no point in trying to get enough to last for years, it won’t be any good. Your best bet is storing it in a cool dark place, like in a bathroom bottom cabinet. Don’t store it in the garage or anyplace hot and bright.

by Anonymousreply 158May 18, 2020 12:04 PM

I went to TJ's yesterday around 11 am. The one I went to is in Morris County, NJ.

Only waited about 3-5 minutes to get in; 2 people waiting in front of me. They had a man outside the store, spraying and wiping down carts. They did it the smart way. They have a limited number of carts available. This allows them to control the cleaning process as well as control the number of people allowed in the store. The other carts are turned upside; they used them to make a zigzag line, a la Disney. They also had someone counting people leaving and going into the store.

I only wanted my frozen stir-fry vegetables. They had some other kinds, including one with shrimp in it. Bought 5 packages, got in line and got out. All in all, it took maybe 15 minutes. I could not believe the number of people with filled carts. Granted, their shopping carts are smaller than Shop Rite and Walmart but good grief! Since they have no space and no conveyor belts, they had employees packing groceries for customers.

Hope everyone is doing well!

by Anonymousreply 159May 18, 2020 1:35 PM

Kroger in ATL has Clorox both the bleach in gallon containers, and the disinfectant spray cleaner. But they limit you to one item per customer on each one. So you can buy both but only one of each.

by Anonymousreply 160May 18, 2020 1:57 PM

To add to R153: I have been doing this for the last month or so in hopes of finding one of those periods when they have wipes in stock for a few minutes.

I think after a certain number of days they empty your cart (might be 5 or 7, not sure) so be sure to go in and re-add those other items to be prepared for if wipes become available.

by Anonymousreply 161May 18, 2020 2:53 PM

CDC FAQ about PPE.

An N95 respirator with an exhalation valve does provide the same level of protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. The presence of an exhalation valve reduces exhalation resistance, which makes it easier to breathe (exhale). Some users feel that a respirator with an exhalation valve keeps the face cooler and reduces moisture build up inside the facepiece. However, respirators with exhalation valves should not be used in situations where a sterile field must be maintained (e.g., during an invasive procedure in an operating or procedure room) because the exhalation valve allows unfiltered exhaled air to escape into the sterile field.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162May 18, 2020 3:34 PM

Walmart online right now has some Clorox disinfecting wipes for sale, noon-ish Eastern time, May 18th:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 18, 2020 3:57 PM

R163 I GOT THEM!

by Anonymousreply 164May 18, 2020 3:59 PM

Thanks R163!! Got 'em! Woot!!

by Anonymousreply 165May 18, 2020 4:10 PM

But I don't want 2 Lemon and 1 Fresh Scent.

I want 2 Fresh Scent and 1 Lemon!

Why can't I have what I want? It's so unfair. The sky is falling!

by Anonymousreply 166May 18, 2020 4:11 PM

And they’re all gone. Goddamit.

by Anonymousreply 167May 18, 2020 4:17 PM

I got my shipment of two BIG ass 32 oz Germ X Hand Sanitizer from Office Depot.

by Anonymousreply 168May 18, 2020 4:22 PM

I've never heard of bleach having a short shelf life. It's a chemical -- does it change into something else?

by Anonymousreply 169May 18, 2020 4:23 PM

R167: Create a Walmart account, sign in, save item for later and keep refreshing the page - the sold out message disappears and the "add to cart" link appears. Add to cart and checkout immediately. I did this and boom, got them!

by Anonymousreply 170May 18, 2020 4:24 PM

R169, bleach loses efficacy with time and exposure to heat and light.

by Anonymousreply 171May 18, 2020 4:34 PM

r171, does bleach lose its nASSty smell? Its penchant for causing migraines?

by Anonymousreply 172May 18, 2020 4:36 PM

According to The Scripps Research Institute, bleach can last about six months. After that, “bleach starts to degrade. Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less effective as each year goes by.”

According to the Clorox website, a bottle of Clorox Regular Bleach “should be stored between 50°F and 70F°, and away from direct sunlight” and that pertains to bottles that are both sealed and opened. Clorox states that a bottle of beach that has been correctly stored has a shelf life for about one year.

by Anonymousreply 173May 18, 2020 4:37 PM

And everyone posting here knows the feeling of degradation.

by Anonymousreply 174May 18, 2020 4:41 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 175May 18, 2020 4:45 PM

I had bleach go bad on me back when I was young and hardly did any laundry, but it took years. After three years or so it lost its smell and obviously wasn't working anymore.

Liquid fabric softener can go REALLY bad, like rancid and chunky bad. At least Suavitel can.

by Anonymousreply 176May 18, 2020 5:03 PM

South Florida, the state opened up mostly today. Walmart, for the first time since the pandemic started, there was toilet paper. Just the walmart brand, but what the hell. Also Lysol spray. Everyone was masked and gloved mostly, but people still like to block aisles etc. A good "Move it along toots," settled that. Roads are a lot busier now, more traffic. People want to shop, not sure why this is a need people have. In the best of days I hate shopping.

by Anonymousreply 177May 18, 2020 6:29 PM

I got me 65 rolls of toilet paper. Yes. And I never even tried to hoard it. I just picked some up whenever I saw it. I already had about 8 rolls. Try to keep 8. But now I have 65. At the rate of one every week, I can stay home for more than a year. Yaaaay!

I'm almost 99% sure were going to have a bad spike. So buy bars of bath soap, toothpaste & mouth wash and a few extra toothbrushes. Get cleaning products and laundry supplies, and canned goods that provide protein. and a few months from now get some eggs and freeze them. Buy yourself some vitamins, especially vitamin D and multiples. Get Aspirin. Deodorant and shampoo. Just act as if you're going to some remote outpost for 6 months. That way if we have to shelter in place, we can. Get batteries and light bulbs too.

by Anonymousreply 178May 18, 2020 7:27 PM

Agree R178

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179May 18, 2020 7:36 PM

R178 that is what I am trying to do now, in dribs and drabs, so if needed come late summer or fall I am prepared.

by Anonymousreply 180May 18, 2020 7:39 PM

Exactly. If we pick up just a few things every ten days or two weeks, we should be ok when the bad times come again. I'm thinking September.

The other thing to do is think about how you want to spend your down time. watching movies & TV is fine. Reading is fine. Zooming with family and friends is fine. But think of other things. For instance, do you want to do some painting or home improvement stuff? Not extensive, but just stuff. Maybe redecorate the spare room, or comvert a space for an office. Lay in a few supplies now.And this summer, stop buying supermarket stuff and go to Farmers MArkets. Cook things to freeze.

by Anonymousreply 181May 18, 2020 7:50 PM

R178, I was on a prepper site a couple of days ago and they were mentioning prices going up. One poster said that Trump will just print more money to cover the deficit and we can expect a lot of inflation because of that. Prices are going up noticeably already.

Vitamin D and C are good choices, especially if we’re stuck inside for the winter.

by Anonymousreply 182May 18, 2020 8:04 PM

I bought 8oz hand sanitizer (germ X) at duane reade (NYC) for 2.99. I have never used it before. Citrus scent and original scent available. they had many hand sanitizers in different sizes, a few brands available.

They are selling hand sanitizer everywhere now...duane reade, CVS, supermarkets etc. Duane Reade also has masks...selling like hot cakes. I was in store buying the hand sanitizer and everyone was buying the masks, they are the fashion kind, in different colors.

by Anonymousreply 183May 18, 2020 10:13 PM

Yes, vitamins should go on the must have list. I take vitamin D, B complex and E plus a multiple three times a week.

by Anonymousreply 184May 18, 2020 11:20 PM

R178/179 add acetaminophen to your list. Vitamin D will be more important as we head into winter. My prediction is we will be locked down hard Around Halloween / first week of November through New Year’s

by Anonymousreply 185May 18, 2020 11:44 PM

A friend of mine told me she filled up her Walmart cart with the required amount to get Next Day Delivery, buying random stuff she didn't need but would ultimately use, in order to get the Hand Sanitizer that was available.

The next day she got a shipping notification that it would arrive in two weeks.

I don't know what happened but it sounds like they switched the delivery on her. She's not going to bother contacting them about it though as she's just glad she's going to get it.

by Anonymousreply 186May 18, 2020 11:56 PM

I think we may have to go into lock down sometime in October. I'm thinking mid-October and stay like that through March or April....hopefully by then we will have a vaccine and Biden will be PResident and we can come out of the darkness and into the light.

by Anonymousreply 187May 19, 2020 12:16 AM

I refreshed the hell out of the page and it stay's "Out of stock."

by Anonymousreply 188May 19, 2020 12:30 AM

I intend to wear a face mask until effective treatment or vaccine is widely available. This will be challenging in brutal summer months.

by Anonymousreply 189May 19, 2020 12:44 AM

These hedge funds are making a killing and don’t even bother to mop the floors. The front line staff is doomed. I was out this weekend and even upon opening these stores were filthy from top to bottom.

many states put in writing that these stores need to not only do regular cleaning, but extra cleaning throughout the day. Way to many stores are getting away with not doing this.

Just look at the floors.

by Anonymousreply 190May 19, 2020 12:54 AM

The masks, the sIx feet rule, the one way stickers, the plastic screens etc. mean NOTHING if these stores are not being cleaned.

The dollar stores have stopped mopping or sweeping all together. Yet people still line up clueless lemmings.

Everybody needs to BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. This is every single store and NO ONE seems to notice or care.

by Anonymousreply 191May 19, 2020 12:57 AM

Everybody needs to stop letting these conglomerate companies to treat their customers and employees like shit. Grow a backbone already.

The profiteers all sit around their yachts and laugh at how meek and sheep like their customers are. They toast to making a fortune off the complacency of their serfs.

“Here’s to our customers never even bothering to look up from their cellphones.”

by Anonymousreply 192May 19, 2020 1:02 AM

Something I can't stand is all the people who do wear masks and gloves, but then throw them on the ground in the parking lot and sidewalks.

by Anonymousreply 193May 19, 2020 1:04 AM

This questions if for those in NYC. Do you get pissed at Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio when they say how well NY'ers are following the rules. Have they been out of the fucking house of late. There is almost no social distancing or mask wearing. In every neighborhood. The Russian ones, Brooklyn Heights with all the young rich pieces of shit grouping together by the dozens with no masks, the religious Jewish neighborhoods, the stores, like Target, supermarkets, no one is making anyone stay even 2 feet apart or wear a mask.

I'm telling you this thing is coming back and worse than before and all of us who did and are doing the right thing will be right back in the middle of everything and dying.

by Anonymousreply 194May 19, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]I think we may have to go into lock down sometime in October. I'm thinking mid-October and stay like that through March or April.

I thought I smelled smoke.

I think you be a doomsday troll. A stupid one.

by Anonymousreply 195May 19, 2020 1:51 AM

I'm in NYC and most people have masks on, although sometimes they are smoking so it's around their necks and some people wear it under their nose. I always see one or two joggers without masks.

I get angry at the cyclists, more people are riding them and they do not observe the rules, they are on the sidewalks, running red lights, going wrong way. I wouldn't shed a tear if they get knocked down by cars, there is a lot more traffic now.

Walked past a bar this afternoon, people were jammed packed together on the sidewalk, drinking. They don't give a shit and the police station is just one block away!

by Anonymousreply 196May 19, 2020 2:38 AM

No, hunny I'm not a Doomsday Troll. First of all, we may see it slow down a bit during the warmer months, but it's still around. And we can see more and more people getting very careless about social distancing and masks. People are getting their hair done, going to restaurants and bars, going to the mall, and going back to work in offices and shops that are enclosed. If the rate of contagion starts to pick up say, 2-3 weeks after exposure to COVID-19 and people get hospitalized and start dying in September and into October, then my prediction of it forcing things to close down again starting around the 15th or so of October is not a doomsday scenario. And yeah maybe it will go into November, but I feel pretty sure that we will be quarantined for Thanksgiving and Christmas and the economy will take a hit so will travel, etc. If it spikes in hte winter months, we won't be able to come out of it before mid March at the earliest. And with any kind of luck we'll have vaccine and President Biden will make sure the states and the federal government get the best effective coordinated response possible.

by Anonymousreply 197May 19, 2020 3:36 AM

R197, pretty much everything you just wrote screams Doomsday Troll.

by Anonymousreply 198May 19, 2020 3:46 AM

[quote]I get angry at the cyclists, more people are riding them and they do not observe the rules, they are on the sidewalks, running red lights, going wrong way. I wouldn't shed a tear if they get knocked down by cars, there is a lot more traffic now.

I know what you mean, I get the same way when someone forces me to read comma splices. Oh, and how, exactly, does one ride a cyclist?

by Anonymousreply 199May 19, 2020 10:05 AM

FWIW, many experts, not just Doomsday Trolls are predicting another spike in November or so.

That's a big part of why so many colleges are debating re-opening or going virtual in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 200May 19, 2020 10:24 AM

R197 is just being realistic. The college my nephew attends in very rural PA is floating the idea (if they even start in person this fall) of Frontloading the semester, cutting fall break and trying to get as much done as they can in case the in person semester has to end abruptly by November. if students go back late August I do think they will be sent home for the second lockdown before Thanksgiving.

I myself will be stocking up on a few things that have Been tough to get the past couple of months (rice, paper towel, tp, etc) but are available now to prepare for lockdown 2.

by Anonymousreply 201May 19, 2020 11:04 AM

We've been told for months that this virus is likely to get worse in the fall and winter, I don't know why saying so is suddenly "doomsday trolling."

There's no harm in stockpiling a little at a time just in case. Don't hoard. Worst case scenario, you'll have toilet paper and paper towels you were going to use anyway.

by Anonymousreply 202May 19, 2020 11:28 AM

[quote]The college my nephew attends in very rural PA is floating the idea (if they even start in person this fall) of Frontloading the semester ...

Notre Dame has announced it will welcome students back to campus for the 2020-21 fall semester the week of Aug. 10, two weeks earlier than originally scheduled, and will forgo fall break in October and end the semester before Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 203May 19, 2020 11:47 AM

I'm no Doomsday Troll. R198, so tell me. What do you think? What would you do?

If I were a Doomsday Troll I would not be suggesting measures to survive the next wave that every single credible scientist says is coming. I'd say"We're doomed, no matter what haapens! All is lost! There will be no food, millions will die, no vaccine, or bad vaccine, and Biden will lose, and we're lost!"

by Anonymousreply 204May 19, 2020 12:06 PM

Kroger asking workers to return some of the extra pay they received

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205May 19, 2020 1:20 PM

This is the number to Kroger from the link above ^

1 (800) 952-8889

Call to demand they let customers keep the pay!!

by Anonymousreply 206May 19, 2020 1:38 PM

R206 do you mean WORKERS keeping their pay?

by Anonymousreply 207May 19, 2020 1:55 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 208May 19, 2020 1:56 PM

I called the number and stuck up for the employees. I hope others will do the same.

by Anonymousreply 209May 19, 2020 2:00 PM

Kroger's ceo just got tapped for an obscene bonus and then this company turns around and does their frontline workers dirty?

Frontline workers are keeping chaos at bay, not CEOS, not marketing managers or publicists. They are worthy of more, not less!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210May 19, 2020 2:39 PM

OK. Buy yourself a 5 or 10 pound bag of all purpose flour. Take two cups of flour, one cup of warmish water, two teaspoons of baking powder, and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix together, then form balls of dough you flatten into rounds. Now, you don't want them to be too flat like pie crust, and you don't want them too thick like biscuits..... Deep fry them in hot oil, When they're golden brown on both sides remove and drain them of grease. Now you can use them topped with mashed beans or canned chili, or you can shake them on a bg with a sugar & cinnamon mix, or powdered sugar or even chocolate, WTF ever. It's very cheap.

by Anonymousreply 211May 19, 2020 3:20 PM

The Kroger overpayment situation seems to actually have been an overpayment. Someone in comments here says coworkers of his were given double emergency pay by accident. Until we know more than we do (the only news has been Dissent's blog posting one lady's comments) it's not certain what's going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 19, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm R163 and I swear to you, I just now got my Clorox wipes already. I haven't had anything I've ordered online arrive so fast ever in my life.

by Anonymousreply 213May 19, 2020 3:42 PM

R163 I think mine might be coming tomorrow! (and they said original Thurs or Fri) They are sending them UPS.

by Anonymousreply 214May 19, 2020 3:43 PM

If a company can afford to gift a ceo 21 million dollars during these times, they can afford to eat the loss of overpaying frontline workers. That CEO wouldnt be able to collect a 21 million dollar bonus if those stock workers, delivery persons and cashiers refused to turn out to work during this health crisis.

by Anonymousreply 215May 19, 2020 5:23 PM

Jeez, R215. If they don't clawback the overpayment from the downtrodden workers, they can't fund the entire bonus for Mr. Man.

What don't you get?

by Anonymousreply 216May 19, 2020 5:27 PM

R216.

I know, he deserves the 21 million for being smart and driven and focused and ambitious. All of God's blessings belong to the elite and only the elite.

The little educated and unmotivated wage slaves who crawled to their little retail jobs during a health crisis that left them at risk of infection?

They need to pay that shit back with interest!

by Anonymousreply 217May 19, 2020 5:34 PM

They can't just let some of their employees keep the extra money. If they did that they should give all the employees a double payment. That's never going to happen in this fucking country.

by Anonymousreply 218May 19, 2020 5:42 PM

why can't they just have the workers who got extra money pay back via "work"? Have them work 1 hour extra, spread out over months etc...

Fucking stupid cunts. They made the mistake, fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 219May 19, 2020 8:51 PM

Listen the food industry is making a fortune during this. Probably the only ones. I'm talking about the national supermarket chains and their suppliers. Business is way up by 11% or more, and they are are making a profit. So they need to t ake care of their workers. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 220May 19, 2020 9:45 PM

the dollar stores are doing great biz.

by Anonymousreply 221May 19, 2020 9:48 PM

Bezos is now very close to being a trillionaire. Covid 19 has been very good to him. A fucking trillionaire and he's taking money away from paycheck to paycheck employees and won't supply them with protective gear. Rumor has it that Amazon will never bring back phone customer service or attended food delivery service for Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods, not because of Covid but because they're getting people used to it being this way and it's more cost effective. God if we go blue, WH, Congress and Senate in November and they don't make Bezos pay his taxes I don't think I'll ever vote again.

by Anonymousreply 222May 20, 2020 2:03 AM

Someone's just really desperate for attention.

Ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 223May 20, 2020 2:43 AM

I went out to the stores this morning. First hit a Walmart and it was mostly completely stocked in the first hour. There were several shelves of wipes, of different sizes and different variety packs. No Lysol.

They also had face masks, but no gloves.

They had several shelves of hand sanitizer, including large sizes of 30 oz and 60 oz.

I went to Sam's club next and they had a lot of TP and Paper Towels, but the Sam's Club brand. They were out of canned veggies but seemed like they had everything else, including eggs and butter.

They also had a lot of face masks available and "face shields," which were only $5.

I went back to Walmart because a friend a neighbor asked if I could pick up wipes. It was probably only 30 minutes after I left the first time and they were already wiped out.

by Anonymousreply 224May 20, 2020 2:47 AM

Also wanted to say there are a lot of fucking crazies out on the loose. First, at Sam's Club, I was in an aisle where they keep the small freezers. There was only 2 left. Some guy took one and another guy (guy B) was standing there looking at the other trying to decide. Another man (Guy C) came up and I guess was waiting for Guy B to make up his mind. He waited about a minute and then just took it. Guy B was pissed and said he was still deciding and Guy C basically told him tough shit.

A few minutes later, I see the freezer that Guy A took, sitting on a flat bed, off to the side of the aisle. I think the person who grabbed it probably went to grab some other things. Then I see Guy B round the corner and see it and without a beat, walked off with it. I wasn't sure if Guy A abandoned it but then a minute later he turned up asking if anyone saw his cart. I pointed him in the direction of the guy that took it. They got in to some kind of altercation, but I don't know what happened.

When I went back to Walmart, as I was walking out, two men were walking in. They were not together. From what I could guess, the first guy must have made some comment outside to the other guy, about not wearing a mask. The guy not wearing a mask grabbed the spray bottle that was sitting there to clean the carts and started spraying the first guy and said something like, "There asshole since you're so concerned about germs." They got in to some fight as I walked out the door.

One more thing, these stores are definitely not cleaning. I was at both of them right as they opened and they were all really dirty, but at least Sam's was spraying down their carts. Workers at Walmart were not social distancing and most of them were not wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 225May 20, 2020 2:55 AM

I'm sorry, I can't shop at Walmart. I won't shop at Walmart. People fighting and spraying one another and not observing the basic courtesies, and it's part of their culture there. It's what you come to expect in terms of their anti social behavior.

I have Kroger, Publix, Target, Costco, and Home Depot, Office Depot, Lowes, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and if I can't figure it out then I'm SOL.

by Anonymousreply 226May 20, 2020 3:12 AM

I live in the city so no Walmart for me, I try to support mom and pop stores. I'm cutting down on amount I spend at whole foods, I used to buy from their salad bar all the time but they recently (before the virus) took away health insurance for their part time workers so I was disgusted by that...

They already treat robots better than humans, and they fired people who spoke up about the shitty conditions, I hope that guy get millions from them.

Greedy cunts. And bezos donate very little to charity.

by Anonymousreply 227May 20, 2020 3:29 AM

Amazon is in talks to buy bankrupt JCPenney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228May 20, 2020 3:36 AM

R228 That would be horrible news for Kohl's, which is already struggling and has a partnership with Amazon, that would presumably end. I could see Amazon, likewise, purchasing the bankrupt Stage Stores, as they are largely in rural areas and it would lessen Amazon's dependence on the USPS.

by Anonymousreply 229May 20, 2020 3:43 AM

[quote]Someone's just really desperate for attention. Ignore it.

Is this in reference to my saying that Kroger wasn't taking everyone's emergency pay back like that one poster suggested? Because they weren't. The poster implied Kroger was asking everyone to return some of the hero pay, which wasn't true.

I never said ANYTHING even close to "the elite management deserves millions while the workers deserve nothing" and it's completely fucking shitty that some of you claimed I did.

All I did was try to figure out the truth and I got accused of being evil... from the same people who are desperately shopping at Walmart, Amazon [bold] and Kroger [/bold] and giving tips to each other on how to find things at those very stores.

If you cared about their shitty, greedy management you wouldn't be shopping there in the first place.

I always forget that no matter how nice and helpful and useful something on Datalounge is, it inevitably turns into a mess of emotional disorders. I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 230May 20, 2020 4:13 AM

I wasn't referring to you, R230, Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 231May 20, 2020 5:00 AM

stop trolling R231 it's pathetic

by Anonymousreply 232May 20, 2020 6:23 AM

[quote]Amazon is in talks to buy bankrupt JCPenney.

As everything comes full circle and Amazon opens its own brick and mortar stores.

by Anonymousreply 233May 20, 2020 7:09 AM

I hate to say this but J.C. Penney ought to go to catalogue only stores. My mother used to shop there for certain things like drapes and curtains. They had good choices and nice stuff. Their bedding was really nice too. kitchen stuff, Small appliances, area rugs, mattresses, we always went to Penney's. I think there's a place for them. Trouble is that's not stuff you buy every day. A Mattress, drapes, or carpet lasts for years.

by Anonymousreply 234May 20, 2020 8:44 AM

R234, I just bought a new Serta mattress and box spring from them and got a terrific price. They don't have the same depth of stock that they used to, but there's still a nice selection of housewares and kitchenware there. And although I know it will horrify the style queens of DL, I think there's still a place for the middle-of-the-road, reasonably-priced clothing that they offer - the good quality basics and non-trendy classic stuff for all ages. My mom still shops there because she struggles to find clothing that isn't fast fashion or that skews way too young for her at most other stores. My dad, up until recently, bought all of his underwear, socks, undershirts there because he said the quality was excellent for the price. That's an aspect that could be played up by someone who knew how to spin it in the right way.

by Anonymousreply 235May 20, 2020 11:36 AM

With your history, you really shouldn't be talking about trolling or being pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 236May 20, 2020 11:58 AM

R230 what was that about emotional disorders?

by Anonymousreply 237May 20, 2020 12:56 PM

Projection, pathetic!

Must disrupt thread! Must disrupt thread!

by Anonymousreply 238May 20, 2020 12:56 PM

Ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 239May 20, 2020 12:58 PM

Thank goodness searching for TP and Biscuits are low risk!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240May 20, 2020 1:11 PM

Ignored!

by Anonymousreply 241May 20, 2020 1:11 PM

[quote] What activities are high risk? Any activity where a lot of people are going to be in one place for a period of time is high risk. Examples include attending church, going to a party or a family gathering, seeing a movie at a movie theater, and getting a drink at a bar. In these situations, social distancing is much harder to do, and people are less likely to wear masks. Also, when you’re around a lot of people who are not members of your household, the risk that someone is contagious increases.

But what about the baths? I want to get my social life back on track!

by Anonymousreply 242May 20, 2020 1:19 PM

I went to my local mom & pop corner store and they had a few hard to find items however they were price gouging them.

A travel sized container of hand sanitizer was selling for $8.99.

A single roll of toilet paper (individually wrapped) was $4.99

A 75-count of wipes was $18.99

Supply and demand?

by Anonymousreply 243May 20, 2020 1:43 PM

Walmart.com continues to be a great source for all sorts of standard supermarket items--Heinz ketchup, Hellmans/Dukes mayo, paper napkins, etc.

Thank you DL

by Anonymousreply 244May 20, 2020 2:23 PM

R244 is the manager of his local Walmart and he gets a dollar for every new customer he brings in and he gets $5 for anyone who spends over $300.

Joking aside I have to say, shopping has now become "a thing." for me. Late at night I'm online comparison shopping trying to figure out where the best prices are, and I have discovered that Kroger, always less expensive than Publix, is not anymore. Several critical items were more expensive at Kroger than at Publix. And Amazon is not always the least expensive either.

by Anonymousreply 245May 20, 2020 3:54 PM

Walmart released their quarterly earnings this week and their sales, especially online sales, are through the roof. I know they get a lot of flack, and for good reason, but they really stepped up their operations during the pandemic and have done a wonderful job getting needed products to consumers.

by Anonymousreply 246May 20, 2020 4:24 PM

I hate to admit it but Walmart has stepped up better than Amazon or Target.

by Anonymousreply 247May 20, 2020 4:49 PM

My local Walmart is usually a shitshow, but still leagues better than Target. They take head counts and limit capacity, which Target gave up on. They also have one door designated as the entrance and separate everyone by 6 ft until you can get in. Sanitized carts, lots of sanitizer, etc. At Target it’s a free-for-all. I actually saw more people wearing masks at Walmart than at Target.

Of course I prefer Publix but have had more luck at Walmart for certain items.

by Anonymousreply 248May 20, 2020 4:58 PM

Shopping for groceries this morning was fabulous: no line outside at 11 am on a gorgeous day. Why? Because it's a Wednesday: slowest day of the week for grocery stores. I always used to shop on Wednesday night if I could and needed more than 12 items or less. It's enough time to lay in supplies for the weekend if you're entertaining, date-sensitive stuff leftover from the prior weekend is gone, and the produce seems to be the freshest.

For the first time post-lockdown, just about everything I wanted was there this morning, including the oddball stuff like lactose-free half & half and 90% lean Black Angus ground sirloin, plenty of chicken, the first domestic cherries of the season I've seen, great-looking melons and pineapple and all the paper products and cleaning supplies that have been on and off for the last two months.

by Anonymousreply 249May 20, 2020 5:06 PM

Walmart cleans every store every night. They get gross afain around 10 am.

Stores like Marshall’s, Ross, Michaels and other big box retailers are not cleaning the floors daily. I’ve noticed the same dirty spots a week apart.

And the dollar stores have stopped cleaning altogether.

by Anonymousreply 250May 20, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote] I went to my local mom & pop corner store and they had a few hard to find items however they were price gouging them.

I was at a mom and pop place last night and I bought a small square box of tissues and 4 pack of toilet paper. Didn't realize until after I paid that the tissues were $3 and the four pack of TP was $8. They were selling what was probably around 8 oz of hand sanitizer for $12.

[quote] Stores like Marshall’s, Ross, Michaels and other big box retailers are not cleaning the floors daily.

Where are you that any of those stores are open? I don't mean that in a bitchy way, R250, but none of those stores are open where I live.

by Anonymousreply 251May 20, 2020 6:09 PM

For those of us who won't go into stores (because of all the morons who can't follow the rules), Walmart grocery pickup has been a godsend. They had a few issues and were clearly unprepared when everything started, but now they've improved markedly. They still have items that are out of stock, and still substitute things (although generally the substitutes makes sense). Target sucks, because you cannot get curbside pickup on perishables. And you have to order everything through their phone app to do curbside on other stuff. Trader Joe's doesn't offer any kind of pickup or delivery (and they ban Instacart shoppers.) Aldi and Instacart are pretty decent, and now they offer both delivery and pickup. I tried Ralphs (Kroger) pickup once, and it was not a great experience. Amazon Fresh is not in my area, although I could get Whole Foods delivery. But I never shopped at WF before due to their outrageous prices, and I'm not going to start now.

by Anonymousreply 252May 20, 2020 6:46 PM

I have not been to a store since this all started. Getting everything delivered and for groceries it's a lot more convenient

DL has been a great resource.

Thank you all.

by Anonymousreply 253May 20, 2020 6:51 PM

I was at Walmart yesterday, right when they opened. They certainly hadn't cleaned the store and didn't look like they had for days.

by Anonymousreply 254May 20, 2020 8:19 PM

Went out shopping today. Lots of people out. Looks like families are out again in full force. Countless parents with their fucking 6 kids all walking around the store. I don't know why it surprises me but the majority of them, and people I was coming across in general, were all wearing their masks under the nose. Like, WTF? What are these people fucking thinking.

Also noticed that prices are definitely going up. I regularly by the same items each trip and this bill was at least $30 more then I normally spend for the same items.

by Anonymousreply 255May 20, 2020 8:22 PM

R254 It really seems to depend on the store and manager. The two stores in my town are the cleanest I have ever seen them. But I had to go to the next city over, for something else, and I went into their Walmart and it was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 256May 20, 2020 8:23 PM

I know there's a thread for this but I'm guessing we're going to see a lot more of these types of people while out shopping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 20, 2020 8:55 PM

Office Depot still has some smaller sized sanitizer as of today - they are out of the larger bottles.

by Anonymousreply 258May 20, 2020 9:08 PM

The woman in R257's video doesn't seem to realize that stores also have rights- to set and enforce their own policies. All these Karens talking about discrimination are probably the first ones to support the rights of bakeries to not make wedding cakes for gay and lesbian couples.

by Anonymousreply 259May 20, 2020 9:20 PM

The woman in the video at R257 was just one of those trolls who likes to start trouble. None of her arguments made any sense. She had, "private," items she didn't want them to see? Uh.. they're going to see it when they rang her up. Same goes for her credit card information. She's obviously some one that is tedious and bored and looking to inflict some self-outrage.

She's the epitome of, "This didn't end up how you thought it would."

by Anonymousreply 260May 20, 2020 9:24 PM

The video at R257 is not real, they are actors making what they hope will be a viral video

by Anonymousreply 261May 20, 2020 11:50 PM

[quote]The woman in the video at [R257] was just one of those trolls who likes to start trouble.

Indeed. According to The Daily Beast, the woman is Shelley Lewis, a "prominent member of the Flat Earth movement."

But across the internet, in circles decidedly less fringe than Flat Earth, Americans are spreading disinformation about medical laws that allegedly exempt them from wearing face masks amid a pandemic that has killed over 90,000 people in the United States. Earlier this month, a set of memes began instructing COVID-19 skeptics (many of them conspiracy theorists or conservatives) to lie about having a medical condition in order to avoid masking up. One meme, which was amplified by an erstwhile Republican congressional candidate, tells readers to cite laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to essentially trick people who ask them to wear protective gear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262May 20, 2020 11:57 PM

This Costco employee Shutting down a mask less deplorable wins the Internet this week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263May 21, 2020 1:09 AM

R263 he's really cute too!

Glad he told that fat piece of shit to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 264May 21, 2020 1:17 AM

I want to have Tison's butt baby.

by Anonymousreply 265May 21, 2020 2:52 AM

Tison without his mask

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 21, 2020 3:14 AM

Thank you for the reports on store cleanliness.

You can have all the distancing and masks in the world but if a store is not cleaning all day, everyday, then they are contributing to the problem.

by Anonymousreply 267May 21, 2020 3:29 AM

I know we have been reporting on finding wipes here, but wondering if anyone is seeing actual disinfectant cleaners (spray) anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 268May 21, 2020 3:34 AM

R268: Yep! local Target and CVS on Mondays (Lysol and Clorox spray)

by Anonymousreply 269May 21, 2020 3:48 AM

R268, Walmart has had Lysol and their own brand of Disinfectant in-store , in limited supply. Usually you have to get there first thing in the morning and check the very top shelf, which no one seems to look up at.

by Anonymousreply 270May 21, 2020 4:36 AM

R270 Sometimes it is still in the box on the top shelf. So read the label.

by Anonymousreply 271May 21, 2020 4:38 AM

R271 the times I've gone, there's only one box on the top shelf and after I get mine, people will notice where it is and the rest will be gone immediately after.

by Anonymousreply 272May 21, 2020 4:43 AM

Is meat low now? I haven't been.

by Anonymousreply 273May 21, 2020 6:34 AM

R269 I'm gonna line up on Monday morning and get a disinfectant spray.

by Anonymousreply 274May 21, 2020 10:08 AM

My local IGA (CT) has had ample meat supplies and no limits. I go to Aldi for all my other groceries every other week, but they have been scarce on meat.

by Anonymousreply 275May 21, 2020 11:28 AM

I’m dreading going to the store today but starting tomorrow it’ll be a holiday-weekend clusterfuck so I may as well get it over with.

Good health to all of you, these threads are great.

by Anonymousreply 276May 21, 2020 1:14 PM

R276 Me too. I'm going to try my neighborhood Japanese market in my quest for shelf-stable tofu. Then if I'm feeling brave and there's no line, I may stop in at Whole Foods. Godspeed!

by Anonymousreply 277May 21, 2020 1:27 PM

Whole Foods just sent me an email that they are expanding their delivery program--more stores and all that.

by Anonymousreply 278May 21, 2020 2:29 PM

I got up to pee around 4am and checked the Walmart site before I went back to bed. I was able to score 2 bottles of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Of course I also had to buy 2 t shires, a pair of socks and some organic hard candy to get free delivery, so basically 40 bucks and change for 2, 32oz bottles of alcohol that cost $1.99 each. I think I should have just paid the shipping.

by Anonymousreply 279May 21, 2020 3:34 PM

Success! Any Pittsburghers out there -- the Tokyo Market on Ellsworth was a pleasant shopping experience. I got there at opening, was one of two customers (they're limiting to 5), the owner provided me with gloves to put on over the gloves I was already wearing, AND I scored a case of the shelf-stable tofu for $16.95. I wish they had more stuff so I could do more shopping there. But I stocked up on soy sauce and seasonings.

The line at Whole Foods was too long, didn't attempt it.

But I just scored Seventh Generation toilet paper at Vitacost after checking for two or three weeks. I should now have enough tp to see us through Wave 2.

by Anonymousreply 280May 21, 2020 3:35 PM

17 dollars sounds expensive for tofu? is this a normal price or an example of price gouging?

by Anonymousreply 281May 21, 2020 4:14 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 21, 2020 4:19 PM

R282, That’s 25%. Wait two weeks after the asymptomatic workers breathed on the others.

by Anonymousreply 283May 21, 2020 4:25 PM

Not exactly grocery shopping but.....

I think another item that became pricey and/or unavailable is.....yes, slippers.

They were always easy to find before, and I don't want deluxe ones, just the kind I can wear to the lobby of my building.....but there are none online that match what I used to see in the store for anywhere between $8-$15 - everything online is $40 or up.

by Anonymousreply 284May 21, 2020 4:30 PM

R281 That's $1.41 per box of tofu. It usually runs for about $2 per box.

by Anonymousreply 285May 21, 2020 4:39 PM

I've been to two Aldis and they're NOT clean and their stock looks suspiciously out of date and old. I walked out without buying anything.

by Anonymousreply 286May 21, 2020 4:46 PM

Hold these filth boxes accountable!

by Anonymousreply 287May 21, 2020 4:49 PM

R286 The closest Aldi to me is 45 minutes away. It's a total dump. I have no idea why the frauen love this store.

by Anonymousreply 288May 21, 2020 4:51 PM

our Aldi's is always neat and clean and the stock is rotated continuously. If you don't buy it when you see it, it's gone. This is why I love my Aldi's.

by Anonymousreply 289May 21, 2020 4:55 PM

You're lucky R289. my experience has been closer to R288.

by Anonymousreply 290May 21, 2020 5:06 PM

I'm going to the store in a minute. I hate it but it has to be done. It's like an adventure now, just seeing what they have and what they don't. I'm lucky, I live in California and we haven't experienced most of the shortages others have in terms of food.

Toilet paper and sugar are still an issue.

by Anonymousreply 291May 21, 2020 5:07 PM

sadly no Aldi in my state.

Sylvia, your posts are making me homesick! I wish I could go to the Strip District to pick up some staples.....although half of the stores I used to shop there probably closed down (even before the virus).

by Anonymousreply 292May 21, 2020 5:13 PM

R291, check the floors.

You know if the floors aren’t recently cleaned and satires that the rest of the place is filthy.

Ask someone before you go in if they are cleaning the floors. If they look at you funny then run for the hills.

by Anonymousreply 293May 21, 2020 5:15 PM

Before the last recession, every retail outlet cleaned their stores regularly, but then they learned they could cancel the overnight cleaning contracts and then get the store managers to see to the cleanings.

And most of them just don’t bother now. They learned they could get away with dirty stores.

by Anonymousreply 294May 21, 2020 5:16 PM

*sanitized

by Anonymousreply 295May 21, 2020 5:17 PM

You have to shop today if you need anything or wait until the holiday ends. This is Memorial Day weekend.

People want life to return to normal and will be shopping and traveling as this is the US start of summer. I am assuming Friday there will be huge lines of shoppers. I don't want to be stuck in stores with large crowds shopping for hotdogs and beer.

This weekend will be a test of how and when to end quarantine in the US.

by Anonymousreply 296May 21, 2020 5:18 PM

Randalls (Safeway) delivered groceries to my apartment this morning in Houston. I now have good toilet paper, Cottonelle wipes (haven't seen those in months) and a big jug of bleach. They were out of most of the frozen dinners I ordered and the Gatorade (fruit punch is a popular flavor). When I ordered Tide, they showed so many varieties of scents and additives that it was hard to find my usual type. At any rate, this is a reversal. For the past two months, my orders are usually short on paper goods and cleaning products but full of food. So, I'll continue to stock up and try to resist hoarding.

by Anonymousreply 297May 21, 2020 5:22 PM

R280 good score on the shelf stable tofu v.hard to find!

Aldi has been a pristine pleasure to shop at, my Shoprite is a pit of filth and I won’t even do curbside pick up there! This is east haven ct.

by Anonymousreply 298May 21, 2020 5:41 PM

r284 You didn't look very hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 21, 2020 5:44 PM

Sorry, just my opinion or taste, but of all the things I've tried hard to get in the past couple of months, tofu isn't one of them and never will be. I tried it once about a decade ago and that one taste was enough for me. But for those who want it, I hope you're not getting gouged.

by Anonymousreply 300May 21, 2020 5:48 PM

Thanks, guys, I know my local grocer and the store (floors included) are spotless. Cleaned every day, mandatory masks, no bags from home, the whole nine.

by Anonymousreply 301May 21, 2020 5:51 PM

Bottle King Liquor stores in NJ have opened again, as of Ma 18th. No more online ordering only!

My Aldi's is in a poor neighborhood. Walked in once to see what it was like. It wasn't at all what I expected. It looked like a Goodwill for food. My Shop Rite stores are very clean and organized. Again, it depends on where you live.

by Anonymousreply 302May 21, 2020 6:39 PM

Just left Target (doing shopping today because tomorrow will be hell due to the holiday weekend), they had all the paper goods and cleaners. Gallon bleach was pricey at $5.99, but no damn rice whatsoever. I am located in Central New Jersey.

As far as cleanliness, I think it was mediocre. They didn't have all the plastic covering on the ATM pads. I like that.

Also too many families shopping together, 5 at a time. Which infuriates me. People wearing masks under their noses and not shutting the hell up. All of this gives me panic attacks. I have a Xanax prescription just to go shopping.

by Anonymousreply 303May 21, 2020 6:48 PM

R284, try Nordstrom’s Rack online, or Macy’s or some other department store. They’re spamming me with sales practically every day. Sign up with their email list for more discounts. And Nordstrom’s Rack has good shoe sales all the time. I buy a lot of shoes there. Now’s a good time to buy fur lined slippers or shoes at a steep discount. They have them for about $20 and up. You’ll want them in the winter time.

I bought rain boots that I wear outside for shopping. I hose them down after and leave them in the garage for a few days. It would be easy to hit them with Lysol or bleach wipes if I wanted to also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304May 21, 2020 6:52 PM

Nordstrom’s Rack has a lot of nice men’s Dearfoam clogs for about $25. But of course I’m not going to show you any of those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305May 21, 2020 6:58 PM

I don't know about the rest of you but I decided to do a bulk shopping trip yesterday so that I had enough to last me a few weeks. Reason being 1) I wanted to avoid any Holiday shopping because of Memorial Day and 2) Because of the Holiday weekend, I feel like cases are going to spike over the next few weeks because of morons throwing parties and gathering to socialize. I don't think it's paranoia to figure these assholes will likely cause a spread over the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 306May 21, 2020 7:24 PM

Good point, R306. I guess I’m going to have to force myself out first thing tomorrow. I’m still putting away and organizing g from last week.

by Anonymousreply 307May 21, 2020 7:26 PM

My grocery store was a breeze this morning. Finally they had sugar! Still no toilet paper. Some lovely looking lamb chops.. mm... and Brussels sprouts. The store was spotless, pretty well stocked, everybody following the rules. It was nice, except it got crowded towards the end and I was glad to get out of there.

I'll have to get a few things to supplement but won't need a big shop for at least three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 308May 21, 2020 11:58 PM

I hope you’re stocked up for your big, holiday parties this weekend. Make sure you don’t run short of toilet paper for your guests. Plenty of toilet paper will make a good impression—they’ll know you’re an excellent host.

by Anonymousreply 309May 21, 2020 11:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310May 22, 2020 12:13 AM

Anyone else notice product package sizes shrinking across the board?

Cereal, orange juice, grapefruit juice, butter tub, rice, etc. All the packages are tinier now. I think the corporations are using this time when people are just desperately getting food any way they can and out of their usual shopping routine to downsize all the packaging while also raising the prices. Fucking criminals.

by Anonymousreply 311May 22, 2020 1:06 AM

YES!!! R311. Cereal I like has a new banner that says “Family Size” with a buck and a half higher price. Bought 2 boxes and it is the SAME Fing weight as the regular box I already had. Same with a bar of soap. Smaller size/weight and costs more. On the flip side, avocados are 19 cents each.

by Anonymousreply 312May 22, 2020 1:19 AM

I really hope the price gouging police go after these corporations once all of this settles down.

by Anonymousreply 313May 22, 2020 1:34 AM

R311, that's been happening for years now! They package will be the same size but less product inside.

Smaller candy bars, fewer chips inside bags, smaller bar soaps etc

by Anonymousreply 314May 22, 2020 1:51 AM

I have yet to find Keebler graham crackers anywhere. They better have them tomorrow because I have to make a key lime pie for Memorial Day. I always make a key lime pie for Memorial Day!!!

by Anonymousreply 315May 22, 2020 1:52 AM

I stopped by CVS (NYC) on my walk and they had face shield which I purchased. pack of 5 for 20 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 316May 22, 2020 1:52 AM

THANK YOU Miss R304.

Most other sites suggested have either clog slippers or want $40-50 for closed heel ones. If they were the ones with warm lining I would understand but I just want the basics.

by Anonymousreply 317May 22, 2020 1:54 AM

R314, we all know that. The point is that it has been accelerated right now during the pandemic because they figure no one is paying attention. Almost everything that is prepackaged is being shrunk down fast right now. And, they are going down more quickly than usual.

by Anonymousreply 318May 22, 2020 3:04 AM

I noticed when I went to Costco recently that they were selling Head and Shoulders, not in the Costco large size, but in the standard drug store size. I’ve never seen that there.

by Anonymousreply 319May 22, 2020 3:32 AM

r306 I did the same thing and stocked up yesterday. I dont plan on leaving my house again until next week to avoid people frolicking around during the holiday weekend, spread god knows what. I am also snowed under with work from home.

I also found Angel Soft toilet paper and handsoap for the first time since March this week.

by Anonymousreply 320May 22, 2020 4:32 AM

Went to Target last night here in Northern California, and was horrified at how few people are wearing masks or gloves now. There's been a huge drop since last week. Also more people were at the store, even an hour or so before closing, which prior to this has generally been a lower-traffic time to go. The public is simply too fucking stupid to manage any sort of reopening correctly.

They had the biggest selection of paper towels and tissues in a while. Cleaning products are still wiped out, but I did find - and buy - the only hand sanitizer I've seen on the shelves since this whole thing started. It's a brand called SpaRoom, which I've never heard of, and comes in small glass(!) spray bottles. It's a total ripoff price-wise, but it's also got an alcohol content of 70%, so I wasn't going to leave it there. Didn't buy many groceries but noticed plenty of eggs, bacon, beef, etc. Even some Gold Medal flour, which I haven't seen there in some time.

by Anonymousreply 321May 22, 2020 10:12 AM

Crocs are all rubber and wash off quickly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322May 22, 2020 12:45 PM

Well for those of us still at home sheltering think about this. As more states open up and more people are going back to work, it will affect the rhythm of who is shopping and when. So the small luxuries we enjoyed by shopping during certain hours or certain days may change. And people tend to shop when they get paid. So we have to adjust to that. And you're right t o expect people to gather act like assholes, so yeah, we'll see a spike about ten days to three weeks from now.

by Anonymousreply 323May 22, 2020 1:28 PM

Went to Target last night. Some dummies wore masks to pass the checkpoint at the entrance - then put them under their chin inside! That defeats the purpose! And I hate touching the handles to open the freezers...Ugh

by Anonymousreply 324May 22, 2020 3:27 PM

R324

While your input is invaluable, I have to wonder why you seem to go shopping almost daily and visit a wide range of stores.

Are you buying food for a large number of people?

by Anonymousreply 325May 22, 2020 4:16 PM

R321, is the Target you went to in a mostly GOP section of your town? Or did most of the people without masks look like Trumpers. If normal people, meaningDemocrats, not MAGA, or Trumpers, have stopped wearing masks and social distancing we are fucked. I realize you can't always tell by looking but it seems that 99% of Trump supporters have "a look."

by Anonymousreply 326May 22, 2020 5:48 PM

In my part of South Carolina masks don’t seem to be partisan but ethnic. The majority of white and black people I see are wearing masks, while it is the opposite among Hispanics. It isn’t surprising that the rural counties, near me, with rising COVID-19 cases have large Hispanic populations. I went in a store yesterday and I’d say 75-80% of white and black customers were wearing masks, while every Hispanic didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 327May 22, 2020 5:58 PM

I've been thinking. We need to be sensible and I think we can be now that the initial surprise has passed and we're adjusting. Yes there will be a spike. The other thing to consider is t hat you need to figure out if you live in an area that will be affected by bad storms, tornadoes hurricanes, etc. Don't get blind sided. Start preparing now for the spike, for storms, for a winter quarantine. First ting to figure out is batteries water and flashlights. If you don't have them get them. Now. Ask yourself: How much do you need for a month? How much toilet paper, paper towels cereal, soups, frozen foods etc and pantry items. Reasonably, how many aspirins or tylenol will you take if you get sick.? You take medicine 4-6 times a day. Maybe you'll need to take medicine for three weeks. (You ought to be in a hospital!) But if you did take it for two weeks, that's 84 pills. One bottle of 100 should be plenty. Things get a little bit more manageable when you place then in context. Some people I know probably have enough canned goods and cake mixes to last them for a year. That makes no sense unless you're 70 yrs old. And even then. So start preparing now so you won't panic buy later, and just get a few things. By the time things shut down again you'll be fine. Plan to lay in about 3-4 months of non perishable supplies.

by Anonymousreply 328May 22, 2020 6:26 PM

totally agree, r328.

Sensible. We don't have to be crazy and hoard 60 million rolls of toilet paper but it doesn't hurt to grab just one extra if your budget allows to have the stuff on hand as a backup.

by Anonymousreply 329May 22, 2020 6:44 PM

I've topped off my supplies of toilet paper, meds, and cleaning supplies. I'm still buying extra pet food because I still expect the meat processing plant problems to affect pet foods sometime. I should get some more frozen food, then I'll be good.

If we judge by DL's track record, people here started stocking up 6-8 weeks before the shit hit the fan, so if there's another big wave and shutdowns it should happen in mid-July.

by Anonymousreply 330May 22, 2020 7:01 PM

That's a good tip re: Pet Food. I've stocked up for a few months but I might want to consider getting a few more months worth.

by Anonymousreply 331May 22, 2020 7:03 PM

Just don’t make the pet end up eating 6 month old food.

by Anonymousreply 332May 22, 2020 7:13 PM

Hell, at the price I just paid for a pet food supply..... I’ll eat it before I’d throw it away.

by Anonymousreply 333May 22, 2020 7:24 PM

these republicans are purposely standing close to you to get a reaction. They have a spiel prepared. it’s not on accident threat they come up six inches from you.

I just walk away and get in another line.

Stores need to be enforcing their procedures or don’t even bother having them.

by Anonymousreply 334May 22, 2020 7:25 PM

R332 pet food lasts much longer than 6 months.

It lasts years.

by Anonymousreply 335May 22, 2020 7:56 PM

That poor pet.

by Anonymousreply 336May 22, 2020 7:58 PM

R322 aesthetically they horrify me but you have a point, it would be easy to hose them down

by Anonymousreply 337May 22, 2020 7:59 PM

Now is the time to stock up for anything along the lines of what R328 said.

People are easing up a bit and will for the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 338May 22, 2020 8:01 PM

Why water R328?

Are you in an area where tap water is not really drinkable?

by Anonymousreply 339May 22, 2020 8:16 PM

London, Eng.

I bought fish twice in recent weeks. Salmon & plaice. Both times it was going off. Something clearly off about the fish stocks here.

Loo roll is available en masse.

But I haven't seen Buckwheat since before the covid - and basic flour is still very hard to come by. Everything in the supermarkets in general seems more expensive than before.

There's now a very depressed vibe in general when you go out. There's nowhere to go except food stores and pharmacies. A few cafes, but you can't sit down.

It's ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 340May 22, 2020 8:25 PM

I was reading about how the stores ran out of flour. How Silly. There are four people in our house with a sweet tooth. We decided to just buy a bunch of cake mixes. No need for flour vanilla baking powder, etc. The key is to simplify.

Light bulbs.

And realistically measure how much you use of anything in a given time.

by Anonymousreply 341May 22, 2020 8:25 PM

You don’t realize how important batteries are until you don’t have or can’t find them. I’m down to three AA that work and they stay in the remotes. No more clocks that work in this house!

by Anonymousreply 342May 22, 2020 8:34 PM

People were baking bread in the quarantine, that's part of the reason there was a shortage.

Comfort food for me is fried fish or fried chicken.

We use flour to coat the animal flesh before frying.

You could use bread crumbs instead or if you're a true fat ass, potato chip crumbs.

Kids are home from school, indefinitely, household need to use more of everything including toilet paper with the kids home.

by Anonymousreply 343May 22, 2020 8:35 PM

r342 has apparently never heard of rechargeable batteries.

by Anonymousreply 344May 22, 2020 8:44 PM

R344, yes I have.

by Anonymousreply 345May 22, 2020 8:55 PM

It's true the Dollar Tree didn't have batteries for weeks. I just picked some up yesterday along with a small hand sanitizer (germ x brand). The hand sanitizer hasn't been seen since March 2020. There was a shortage of batteries too so it doesn't hurt to stock up now!

by Anonymousreply 346May 22, 2020 9:01 PM

Amazon sells their own brand batteries for a reasonable price and you don't need to leave the house to buy them

by Anonymousreply 347May 22, 2020 9:16 PM

Mary, at R336.

by Anonymousreply 348May 22, 2020 9:18 PM

Amazon Basic batteries are absolute worthless shit

by Anonymousreply 349May 22, 2020 9:22 PM

Well, R349, when you get 20 for $6, you can afford to replace them all the time. At least they are available.

by Anonymousreply 350May 22, 2020 9:41 PM

Are AmazonBasic batteries supposed to be worse than what you'd get at the DollarTree?

by Anonymousreply 351May 22, 2020 9:53 PM

R341, keep track of the expiration dates on the cake mixes. They’re not very long. You can make cookies out of cake mixes and freeze them if you’re getting close to the end date. Go to the manufacturer’s website, they have a lot of recipes for their products.

If you don’t want to buy flour to bake from scratch, there are a lot of good cornbread mixes and Bisquick is good for making biscuits. If you’re looking for everyday bread to go with meals, both of those will work. Just keep track of the expiration dates. They freeze well also.

Pancake mix also makes good biscuits and other bread items. Pancake mix comes with the powdered egg included in the mix, so no egg is needed. Just water. For Jiffy cornbread mixes, you need one egg and a little bit of milk or soy milk. Jiffy also makes small sized mixes of banana bread, blueberry muffin mix, and I think some small cake mixes. Their mixes are pretty basic and not too overly sweet.

I’ve used the banana bread or blueberry muffin mix adding applesauce, leftover bananas, chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, frozen berries, dried fruit, whatever I have around.

There’s a Jiffy apple cinnamon bread mix that’s good with added applesauce and some nutmeg or ginger.

by Anonymousreply 352May 22, 2020 10:35 PM

Eneloop recharganbles are much better

by Anonymousreply 353May 22, 2020 10:36 PM

Try and help the Poors avoid the Dollar Store....

And Amazon Basics batteries work fine for things like remote controls which don't get a whole lot of use anyway.

by Anonymousreply 354May 22, 2020 10:42 PM

I get my batteries at the supermarket or at Home Depot. But I try not to buy the big packages because they expire before I can use them. If you have batteries make sure you check the dates.

by Anonymousreply 355May 22, 2020 10:44 PM

For those who drive, make sure you have a phone charger for the car and never let the car get beow half a tank. If you ever lose power from storms you can charge your phone in the car. YOu ought to be running the car every three or four days anyway if you're not using it every day. Keep the car's battery charged.

by Anonymousreply 356May 22, 2020 10:47 PM

R356, a neighbor a block or so away wrote on Nextdoor that a rat got into her engine compartment, and apparently overnight it gnawed through a bunch of wires and stuff under the hood. She thinks the car is totaled. It was a brand new car.

It’s worth it to take your car out and drive it a little bit to charge the battery, even if you don’t actually go anywhere. Or at least move the car to the driveway, take a look around under the car looking for oil leaks or rat poop. Don’t let animals think your car is a stationary object.

by Anonymousreply 357May 22, 2020 10:52 PM

R352 thanks for that idea about using cake mixes to make other things. I never thought of that!

by Anonymousreply 358May 22, 2020 10:55 PM

I've made homemade donuts with the Bisquick shake 'n pour batter.

by Anonymousreply 359May 22, 2020 11:03 PM

There are all kinds of box cake hacks online. Just google box cake hacks. The thing you ought to make sure you have even if you freeze some, is butter. It's personal for me. I cannot live without it. I only use it as a spread, never to cook with. I use olive oil to cook with, but ifI bake a box cake, I use butter instead of oil,and it is SO good.

by Anonymousreply 360May 22, 2020 11:09 PM

If you don’t have eggs, you can use applesauce in a cake mix. You can use one of those individual cups of applesauce, or just put some in until the batter looks the right consistency.

by Anonymousreply 361May 22, 2020 11:21 PM

R325: Nope - I just shop for 2 people. I go to the store on Mondays (Target or Shoprite and CVS) and Fridays (Pharmacy downstairs and Italian or Panda Express takeout when craving orange chicken). I try to avoid going out the other days unless I have an appt like Covid testing today and antibody testing tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 362May 22, 2020 11:58 PM

NYCTechie you have probably already had the virus.It would be next to impossible to have not been exposed there unless you hadn't left your home at all since Dec. have you been tested?

by Anonymousreply 363May 23, 2020 12:04 AM

I did go to Acme last week when I was trying to find the Near East chicken rice that I like, but I don't usually go there.

Received my Clorox wipes from Walmart today! Thanks again to the Walmart poster upthread! I am taking notes from posters on this thread and stocking my closet and extra cupboard for the next spike/lockdown. Thanks all!👍

by Anonymousreply 364May 23, 2020 12:06 AM

R363: I was negative for Covid-19 today. I am Mr Paranoid - gloves, mask, face shield, wash groceries, mail quarantine, stairs only, walk in the street if you're not wearing a mask, emergen c, vitamin d...the whole nine lol, but you're right, I may have caught it in the past anyway... I am taking the antibody test to find out.

by Anonymousreply 365May 23, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote]For those who drive, make sure you have a phone charger for the car and never let the car get beow half a tank. If you ever lose power from storms you can charge your phone in the car. YOu ought to be running the car every three or four days anyway if you're not using it every day. Keep the car's battery charged.

I would recommend buying one of the new lithium car battery chargers. They're a lot smaller and less bulky than the old ones. They can start your car in an emergency, and they also have USB ports for rapid charging of your phone or other devices.

by Anonymousreply 366May 23, 2020 12:12 AM

r363 good because if you find that have the antibodies you won't have to worry like this. let us know.

by Anonymousreply 367May 23, 2020 12:52 AM

[quote] Received my Clorox wipes from Walmart today!

got mine too! thanks thread gurlina, bless you

by Anonymousreply 368May 23, 2020 12:56 AM

I am betting there are a lot of first borns on this thread. I have never seen so many big brother/big sister suggestions in one place. Keep suggesting!

by Anonymousreply 369May 23, 2020 1:20 AM

Speaking of batteries, do a weekly re-charge of your external batteries for your phone & tablets.

by Anonymousreply 370May 23, 2020 1:33 AM

Make sure you check your dates on disinfecting wipes, alcohol, bleach and things like that. Once they expire they're don't really kill anything much.

Also, Duracell batteries are good for 10 years. More expensive to start but 10 years. Costco used to have a good price on them but now they might not even be available. Costco has been the worst during this pandemic. They've been out of stock on some things for months and they have the highest free delivery minimum on so many things, 75 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 371May 23, 2020 1:45 AM

Costco has Duracell batteries on sale this month. My local warehouse had a ton of them earlier in the week.

by Anonymousreply 372May 23, 2020 1:52 AM

I've been out less since March and I'm still hyper about it now in terms of masks and gloves and Purell and wiping everything down with Clorox but we were in NYC in February, I flew to LA twice in January, and I'm in one of three hospitals at least monthly and the antibody test I had on Monday was negative.

Which is a bit of a bummer as my allergist is convinced antibodies confer some degree of immunity - she's not sure for how long or how much - but some. And I have none. The lab tech told me the rate (of patients tested showing antibodies) is still around 10% in Boston, which has been hard-hit. We have a long way to go.

by Anonymousreply 373May 23, 2020 2:38 AM

For R341, here’s the Jiffy recipe website. They have food scientists create recipes to be used with their products. Here’s a quiche made with Jiffy mix and it’s pretty simple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374May 23, 2020 3:59 AM

This is my favorite quiche recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375May 23, 2020 4:12 AM

If anyone can find the aerosol spray Lysol (or generic equivalents) or Micro-ban spray please let us know.

Also the latex or plastic or nitrate gloves. Disposable.

by Anonymousreply 376May 23, 2020 4:13 AM

Here’s the Duncan Hines website. They sell not only cake mixes, but a lot of other products, so there’s a lot of main course recipes too.

This one is pumpkin spice cake, using Duncan Hines spice cake mix and canned pumpkin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377May 23, 2020 4:13 AM

R376, try the Costco Business Center for gloves, or if you don’t have that, look at restaurant supply stores. For products similar to Lysol, try Hme Depot, Lysol is like the Holy Grail now, HD has an aisle of cleaning products. Go early in the morning, they open at 6am six days a week. Home Depot has a product line called Zep. They make tub and tile cleaner, which is really good. Their grout cleaner is good.

Winco also has some spray products intermittently.

by Anonymousreply 378May 23, 2020 4:20 AM

Some quiche would be awesome about now: ham cheese spinach.

by Anonymousreply 379May 23, 2020 4:21 AM

Lots of places have gloves. check 7-11, hardware stores etc.

by Anonymousreply 380May 23, 2020 4:22 AM

Here’s the mother of all recipe sites, Betty Crocker. There’s a whole bunch of recipes with Bisquick. A lot of them are main meals like chicken pot pie.

R380, I went to Home Depot and they were out of masks, gloves and anything resembling a face shield. That’s been going on for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381May 23, 2020 4:29 AM

R376 My best luck in finding Lysol or Microban has been to go on the Walmart website and check store availability, then going to that store and thoroughly searching the shelves. You have to search behind the other aerosol sprays and on the top shelf. Every so often it is still in the shipping box. The other thing is if you see people stocking the shelves on that aisle, don't be afraid to look at the boxes on their cart. If you discover a box of Lysol or Mircoban politely ask them to open the box. They are usually happy to do it.

by Anonymousreply 382May 23, 2020 4:36 AM

Toilet paper and yeast (SAF one pound bags) are on the Walmart site right now

by Anonymousreply 383May 23, 2020 6:31 AM

R377 how perfectly DL! Pumpkin spice! Maybe that season will start early this year!

by Anonymousreply 384May 23, 2020 6:52 AM

R357, I had a mouse in my engine compartment a few years ago and it chewed the rubber off the wires to the distributor caps and it was expensive to fix.

My car hasn't been used in two week so I go out and move it in my driveway to benefit the tires and open up the hood to check the engine for mouse nests.

I don't know if this is helping or not but a friend who's really into cars said to place some Bounty drier sheet in places where mice are likely to nest. That seems to have worked but, like I said, not sure if that's true or a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 385May 23, 2020 12:08 PM

Why are you all worried about:

a) water

b) not having electricity

Are you thinking that if it gets bad the people who keep those things running will get sick and electricity will go out?

by Anonymousreply 386May 23, 2020 12:30 PM

I make a dessert for the Jewish holiday and sent it to an elderly neighbor who loved it. Duncan Hines spice cake mix with an overripe banana and I chopped up a Granny Smith apple and put that in too. Baked it in a bundt pan. I've never tried making cookies, but cake mix hacks have saved me a bundle. And it's not like you eat them all the time.

by Anonymousreply 387May 23, 2020 12:53 PM

Sometime around the 8th of march I was at Costco and people were already stocking up. I was wandering around the section where they stock health stuff like vitamins, and baby wipes, etc. and the shelf where the surgical gloves were stocked was empty except for one remaining box. I grabbed it. Have never seen gloves since then. It had 400 gloves for $20. Won'ts ee that again. I split it with my sister.

by Anonymousreply 388May 23, 2020 12:57 PM

r386, we have rolling brown outs in Los Angeles area, and that ever present threat of earthquakes.

by Anonymousreply 389May 23, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote]I make a dessert for the Jewish holiday and sent it to an elderly neighbor who loved it.

Which Jewish holiday? A recent one?

I'm going to try your recipe.

by Anonymousreply 390May 23, 2020 2:05 PM

When I do the banana apple cake I sometimes throw in some chopped pecans if I have any. I don't remember which holiday. She mentioned "the holiday is coming up next week..." when I saw her out walking her little dog.

by Anonymousreply 391May 23, 2020 4:07 PM

Shavuot is May 28, R390.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392May 23, 2020 4:28 PM

Still no TP at the 2 closest grocery stores to me but there’s an Ace Hardware that consistently has big boxes of commercial TP for sale. I’d be in trouble if it wasn’t for them.

by Anonymousreply 393May 23, 2020 4:33 PM

R385, roaches hate dryer sheets too.

Judging by my cat’s disgusted reaction, you could put out used, dried up bleach wipes. Every time I leave one on the table or floor and she comes upon it, she tries to bury it until I remove it and throw it away. Even a dry one smells like bleach.

by Anonymousreply 394May 23, 2020 5:18 PM

I am starting to feel comfortable about my stash.

I now have bleach, wipes, a fuckton of sanitizer, alcohol swabs, peroxide and 4 big spray bottles of disinfectant cleaner.

If I could find a bottle of two of rubbing alcohol and some Lysol we'd be set!

by Anonymousreply 395May 23, 2020 6:50 PM

R395, Walmart has 2-packs of 70% rubbing alcohol available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396May 23, 2020 7:33 PM

Retailers price-gouging coronavirus products could owe city nearly $4 million

Greedy retailers attempting to profit off the pandemic by overcharging customers for hot coronavirus commodities have racked up a hefty bill with the city Department of Consumer and Worker Protection, the agency said.

From March 5 through Wednesday, inspectors issued 7,600 price-gouging violations in stores from Manhattan to Queens selling goods like cleaning spray, cold and flu medication, hand sanitizer and protective masks and gloves at up to a 150 percent markup.

With fines running as high as $500, the violators could owe the city nearly $4 million.

Trump Pharmacy — no relation to the president — in Jackson Heights is facing an $11,000 penalty for hawking cans of disinfectant spray for up to $24, according to one complainant.

“I asked the man behind the counter if they had Lysol disinfectant spray. He reached down into a box behind the counter and produced a 19 oz. can of Lysol disinfectant spray and stated that the price was $24.00,” George Ptacek wrote to Councilman Daniel Dromm.

When city inspectors visited on Thursday, they found a $22 can, a 16-count pack of Dayquil Cold and Flu for $14.99, a 12-ounce pack of Nyquil for $17.99, and a box of 20 Mucinex DM for $22.95. No one at the business could be reached for comment.

It’s among 10,100 businesses New Yorkers have complained about for price-gouging since the pandemic began.

Metro Drugs on Third Avenue is facing a $37,500 suit for 75 price-gouging violations, including selling 20 N95 masks for $400 to an inspector on March 7. When the DCWP went back on March 11, Metro Drugs had knocked the price in half, but still well above the “normal market fluctuations” the DCWP requires businesses to follow.

The store claims to have finally ditched the dirty dealing.

“No, no not at all,” said Vinnie Ognibene, assistant director of pharmacy, when asked if the store was still selling N95s. “All of that was from back in middle March. That’s old news, unfortunately.”

Trump Pharmacy, 85-26 37th Ave., Jackson Heights: 19 oz can of Lysol, $24

Metro Drugs 3rd Ave. Corp., 931 Lexington Ave., Upper East Side: 20-pack of N95s, $400

Hong Kong Supermarket, 157 Hester St., Lower East Side: 24-pack of CVS-brand hand wipes, $38

Thomas Drugs, Inc., 171 Columbus Ave., Upper West Side: 20-count Mucinex DM, $21.99

Flannery Home Store, 3395 E. Tremont Ave., Schuylerville: 33-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer, $45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397May 23, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote] When city inspectors visited on Thursday, they found a $22 can, a 16-count pack of Dayquil Cold and Flu for $14.99, a 12-ounce pack of Nyquil for $17.99, and a box of 20 Mucinex DM for $22.95. No one at the business could be reached for comment.

Those sound like CVS's everyday prices.

by Anonymousreply 398May 23, 2020 8:18 PM

NYC locals decry food delivery men who cluster on corner, ‘sneezing’

These workers offer contact-free food delivery, but have plenty of contact with one another.

A cluster of deliverymen, many carrying red and black Grubhub bags, are packing into a tiny West Village square to await their next run, sitting shoulder to shoulder — some without masks — and often bantering loudly or arguing.

Some residents have had enough.

“I’m telling you, it’s a nightmare,” said a woman whose apartment overlooks Mulry Square at the corner of Seventh and Greenwich avenues.

The neighbor said as many as 20 deliverymen and their bicycles cram the park starting around 9:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. She’s said she’s heard them screaming and observed them without masks, sometimes sneezing, and too close to one another.

They’re certainly not distancing, which is outrageous,” she said, adding she would never order food through the Grubhub app.

Another resident said the workers also gather a block away at Bank Street and Greenwich Avenue.

“It’s bothersome to have my street become the employee lounge for the Grubhub,” the woman said. “Grubhub needs to organize that.”

The food delivery app is already under fire for the fees it charges restaurants, with the City Council voting this month to cap the costs.

Mulry Square, which is across the street from the old St. Vincent’s Hospital, is the site of a memorial called 9/11 Tiles for America. Commemorative tiles hang on a fence at the site and are stored in a bus parked on Seventh Avenue that serves as a kind of museum.

The workers also hang out in the New York City AIDS Memorial Park across the street. Some residents said they try to steer clear.

“I certainly wouldn’t sit anywhere near them,” said Barbara Chernick, 72, a retiree, heading over to the AIDS Memorial. “They’re not wearing masks. There’s a big group.”

Others took the gatherings more in stride, saying people clustered outside of Village restaurants serving take-away cocktails were more of a nuisance.

“That’s worse,” one woman said. “That’s people walking around. “These guys are just waiting to get called.”

A group of delivery workers refused to answer any questions Thursday or to even confirm they worked for Grubhub.

Grubhub did not respond to a request for comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399May 23, 2020 8:28 PM

Honestly the prices at R397, while very high for regular times, are still more reasonable than eBay prices for the same. They should define price gouging as a certain percentage above standard suggested retail price.

by Anonymousreply 400May 23, 2020 8:38 PM

Okay, building my next $35 cart at Walmart so's I can get them there alcohol bottles (and maybe some more wipes too).

by Anonymousreply 401May 23, 2020 8:52 PM

I had wanted to avoid going out to any of the stores because of the Holiday weekend but found myself out of an item that I was out of. It was either go out today and pick it up or wait two weeks (because like others, I don't intend to go back for awhile since people will be gathering on Monday).

I went to Sam's Club and the line wrapped around the building. I drove off and decided to try Wal-Mart, same deal, same thing for Target and the grocery store.

It seemed odd to me because I haven't seen lines for several weeks, so to me that's an indicator that people are indeed planning on having gatherings/parties/etc. on Monday.

Since it's already on one route home, I decided to try one other grocery store. No line there. They were sanitizing carts and cleaning the store, however, it was packed, which made me wonder if they just gave up on limiting the number of people inside. People shopping were not maintaining social distancing while shopping nor while in line.

Also, they had plenty of pork, no beef, and the pasta, rice, and ice cream sections were wiped out.

by Anonymousreply 402May 23, 2020 9:54 PM

I drove by the little liquor store down the street from me on my way home yesterday. This is in a very small town and I've never seen more than three cars in the parking lot before. It was packed. Over 20 cars. Everyone just walking in. No waiting. No spacing.

They need their beer for Memorial Day parties. Fucking idiots.

Meanwhile, the pot store about five blocks away had a line out the door. Everyone spaced out and wearing masks.

Alcohol and those addicted to it, even when they deny that their slugging six packs on weekends doesn't make them alcoholics, are worse than pot and potheads in every fucking way.

by Anonymousreply 403May 23, 2020 10:23 PM

No festivities for us this weekend. I could tell that every store would be filled. No deliveries available.

That's fine. I'll suffer through a lean long weekend and enjoy things next week.

by Anonymousreply 404May 23, 2020 10:26 PM

People are such stupid sheep. None of them could plan to go, oh, I don't know, a day earlier? Two days earlier? Maybe this virus does actually kill based on IQ.

by Anonymousreply 405May 23, 2020 10:29 PM

Hey R389, are the rolling brownouts only in the summer during extreme heat waves (high a/c use)? Or just rando?

by Anonymousreply 406May 23, 2020 10:47 PM

r406, yes during the summer, but sometimes in the fall too.

by Anonymousreply 407May 23, 2020 10:49 PM

I think i will do my next 2 week shop at Aldi on may 28, thinking people will still have food from their shopping this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 408May 23, 2020 10:59 PM

just be sure to do it before the first when ebt etc goes out

by Anonymousreply 409May 23, 2020 11:01 PM

If you need to get groceries next week I would go either on Monday or Tuesday. I figure most morons who are getting supplies for parties will have done so by Monday so most likely won't be out and Tuesday, those that already got their stuff will also be out of the stores. After that, my concern is that these knuckle draggers who gathered and partied and probably passed shit to one another will be out spreading whatever they caught.

by Anonymousreply 410May 23, 2020 11:34 PM

R410 I have also started strategizing about which day of the week to shop, keeping in mind what week of the month it is, whether there are holidays that might impact trends, etc. I remember and miss the days where I would just run to the store every few days and the biggest challenge was whether or not I would forget something because I refuse to make lists. Ah, the good old days.

by Anonymousreply 411May 23, 2020 11:44 PM

To that end R411, I went to the garden store yesterday when it started to rain. The garden store is outdoors and i correctly assumed it would be fairly empty because of the rain, despite Memorial Day.

by Anonymousreply 412May 24, 2020 12:19 AM

All of you people who decry Target and Walmart and other big chain stores and encourage us to shop at mom-and-pops -- at least the big stores don't engage in that kind of ridiculous overcharging.

by Anonymousreply 413May 24, 2020 12:46 AM

R413, let me introduce you to CVS.

by Anonymousreply 414May 24, 2020 1:43 AM

Target is not cheap anymore either.

by Anonymousreply 415May 24, 2020 1:47 AM

Here in Australia, it's finally somewhat settled down. Toilet paper, cleaning products, bleach, pasta, flour, meat, eggs - it's all available. The only things that still have limits on purchasing are hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.

I don't see anyone with masks either.

I assume once winter comes it will get worse again, particularly as children are back at school. And if the borders are opened again, we will be fucked.

by Anonymousreply 416May 24, 2020 2:17 AM

There was toilet paper and paper towels at my local Walmart. It wasn't as full as before the pandemic but there was stock on the shelves.

What I'm finding annoying are the longer lines at the register. Everyone's cart is full and the overflow is ending up in the self checkout line. I'm used to going in grabbing a few things and out within 10 minutes but now it's taking longer.

by Anonymousreply 417May 24, 2020 2:36 AM

I don't see what the problem is.These chain stores make a lot of money and the producers of products in the supply chain are making money. So why can't they protect workers. Masks and gloves are basic. And they need not result in a more than 11% mark up in the cost of our stuff.

by Anonymousreply 418May 24, 2020 3:06 AM

R386, why is this so difficult for you to comprehend? R328 was suggesting (wisely) that if you live in a region that might experience power outages, or disruption to the municipal water supply, during major weather events ......it's a good idea to stock up on batteries & bottled water, now! It's called "disaster preparedness." (or here in L.A., "earthquake preparedness")

by Anonymousreply 419May 24, 2020 3:28 AM

I order what I think ended up seeming to be some Third World 3-ply toilet paper from Amazon in March, with estimated delivery of between May 2 and 22. Nothing arrived as of yesterday, and when I emailed the "vendor" I got some broken-English response from a 'Romalia' saying if I get by May 25 I'll get a 40% discount or else could as for a full refund. TP is starting to reappear more frequently in stores, so I'll probably just cancel that order. Meanwhile, paper towels, which were becoming scarce over the past month, I also ordered from Amazon just a couple of weeks back and i got the whole crateful almost right away. Weird.

Can't find the disinfecting alcohol anywhere, either. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see Lysol on store shelves again within this decade.

by Anonymousreply 420May 24, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote] I assume once winter comes it will get worse again, particularly as children are back at school. And if the borders are opened again, we will be fucked.

If you are in Australia, your winter begins in about a week.

by Anonymousreply 421May 24, 2020 3:58 AM

R420, Paper towels seem to be in stock in great volume at Costco. Sometimes they have toilet paper and sometimes not, but on Friday I went to several stores and they all had toilet paper. I think these stores were stocking up for Memorial Day weekend, because they had stuff they never have any more.

Right now Costco and Sams Club both have toilet paper, although there’s a one package limit. But it’s 30 rolls. You don’t have to resort to “Romalia,” at least for now.

by Anonymousreply 422May 24, 2020 4:00 AM

Today the shelves were empty of cans of ginger ale. Something about an aluminum shortage in the US.

by Anonymousreply 423May 24, 2020 4:22 AM

None of my favorite drinks/soft drinks/tea seem to be in stock.

by Anonymousreply 424May 24, 2020 4:37 AM

I was at Target last night. Oddly, they were out of pet waste bags and almost out of kitty litter.

by Anonymousreply 425May 24, 2020 5:15 AM

Shortages aren't necessarily about the raw product itself, but the PACKAGING for the product. King Arthur Flour had/has plenty of raw product...but their packaging supplier couldn't keep up with consumer demand, after a "run" on the smaller 2 lb. - 5 lb. bags. Which is why you will soon start seeing PLASTIC bags of King Arthur flour on grocery shelves.

by Anonymousreply 426May 24, 2020 5:18 AM

That's a good point R426. Lots of packaging material also comes from China and is used even for products made in the US. The true supply chain is very complex.

by Anonymousreply 427May 24, 2020 5:20 AM

If you're in northern CA, we call it a Go-bag. Preparedness is a great thing.

by Anonymousreply 428May 24, 2020 5:22 AM

Hey R428 what do you have in your go-bag? I need to do that. I'm in SoCA.

by Anonymousreply 429May 24, 2020 5:27 AM

Earrings, caftans, lube.

by Anonymousreply 430May 24, 2020 5:56 AM

I don't have a Go-bag done yet, because I've been lazy about it honestly. However, I know quite a few people who have them. It's a great idea!

by Anonymousreply 431May 24, 2020 6:16 AM

I'd say in order to make a Go-bag, first research online. Then, wake up one morning, and everything you touch will go into a Go-bag or cooler with ice block. 🤔 That's probably the laziest way. And then, in order to store the Go-bag, buy a duplicate of everything you packed in it, to keep at home!

by Anonymousreply 432May 24, 2020 6:21 AM

What do you guys mean by go-bag? Emergency preparedness kit, or something to do with food?

by Anonymousreply 433May 24, 2020 6:56 AM

If you’re looking for a general preparedness kit, like for earthquakes for example, I recommend a Frio cooling bag. They’re made to hold insulin for diabetics while traveling and keep it cool. However, if you take any meds at all and it’s summertime and you have to leave your home, you don’t want your meds to get overheated in the car or outdoors. They will lose strength if they get baked in a car.

You never know if you might happen to be on meds when there’s an emergency, or if someone you’re traveling with is on meds, like parents or your partner, so it’s a good prep to have just in case. Especially someplace like California where it gets really hot in the summer. It’s very user friendly, all you need is water and the Frio bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434May 24, 2020 7:09 AM

[quote] If you are in Australia, your winter begins in about a week.

It doesn't get really cold until mid-July

by Anonymousreply 435May 24, 2020 7:34 AM

Just HOW starved for attention are you, R433???

by Anonymousreply 436May 24, 2020 7:37 AM

R436, the expression “go bag” is a well known expression that means an emergency kit you use to leave the house. I have no idea what that person meant by it. Something completely different?

A go bag is not a pack of food or a cooler of food, it’s a survival kit. That’s like saying, I have a survival kit in the car, and it turns out they mean a hamburger. It’s not the same thing. Sorry, I have no idea what that person is trying to describe.

by Anonymousreply 437May 24, 2020 7:55 AM

"Go bag" is what Reid, Hotch, and Rossi get before "wheels up" on Criminal Minds. I don't think it includes insulin.

by Anonymousreply 438May 24, 2020 9:42 AM

I had the Lysol you use in your laundry in my cart but by the time I checked out it was sold out. Foiled again!

by Anonymousreply 439May 24, 2020 12:29 PM

You know sometimes you might have more luck if you order some products directly online. For example go to the Coca Cola website...I had no idea they made so many different things besides Coke. Just order direct if you can.

by Anonymousreply 440May 24, 2020 1:27 PM

This is a go bag. Not everyone watches Criminal Minds. If you’re referring to a TV show or what some celebrity does, please explain to what you’re referring to. “Go bag” is an actual expression that means something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441May 24, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote] You know sometimes you might have more luck if you order some products directly online.

I noticed that with TP; however the only brand doing that is unfortunately the Georgia Pacific products which is Koch brothers so, no. I'd rather shit my pants, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 442May 24, 2020 3:24 PM

well, SMELL Miss R441.

by Anonymousreply 443May 24, 2020 3:35 PM

I think some of you gurls need to get a bidet.

I have one and this whole TP crisis passed me by.

by Anonymousreply 444May 24, 2020 3:52 PM

I just use the hand held shower nozzle.

by Anonymousreply 445May 24, 2020 4:36 PM

[quote]well, SMELL Miss [R441].

I'd rather smell Miss R441 than shit-in-her-pants Miss R442.

by Anonymousreply 446May 24, 2020 5:15 PM

r440 I don't see anywhere on Coke's website that you can order anything but customized stuff (like special bottles) or promotional items.

by Anonymousreply 447May 24, 2020 5:36 PM

Im going to go shopping again on Wednesday or Thursday after they can restock from the weekend. Ive started picking up hurricane season stuff as well. Im going to keep picking up essentials little by little.

I have a feeling the rest of this year is just going to be a doozy. I dont know how people with families and no jobs are going to make it if the government doesnt do more. Im spending huge amounts just on grocery and supplies for myself being at home all week teleworking.

by Anonymousreply 448May 24, 2020 5:46 PM

Two dams in Michigan failed and 11,000 people were at least temporarily displaced. The dams were old and needed to be replaced a long time ago.

The next thing I’m wondering is if there are hurricanes, earthquakes or the regular summer fire season, what’s going to be the provisions for people who lose their homes or lose power?

My guess is they’ll do the same thing they always do, which is put people up at the local school gym. That’s a pandemic disaster. And even if your insurance company comes through, will you be able to buy the things you need to replace? Or will your repair people be able to buy or order supplies?

There’s basically non existent planning for that from the White House, and red states don’t plan well. So what happens if there’s a significant natural disaster?

by Anonymousreply 449May 24, 2020 6:54 PM

Good prep site

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450May 24, 2020 6:59 PM

What’s going to happen this summer when fire fighters are brought in from out of town to fight fires for months on end? Where are they going to sleep and cook? No social distancing available there. That has the potential to turn into a logistical mess.

by Anonymousreply 451May 24, 2020 7:06 PM

R448, let’s review 2020:

Coronavirus

Murder hornets

Dams breaking in Michigan

Earthquakes

Coming soon: a plague of “locusts”

Firestorms

Hurricanes

?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452May 24, 2020 7:25 PM

[quote] and red states don’t plan well.

That is an unfair generalization. Some states do not prepare, but others do. My "red state" South Carolina, has a very active Emergency Management Division. They have done a very good job managing emergencies, especially post-Hugo in 1989. They prepare for many disasters, but their main focus is on hurricanes and earthquakes. The only natural disaster that I would say they didn't handle wonderfully was the floods of 2015. But, it was totally unexpected. Many areas experienced 500 or 1000 year floods. Columbia is a very hilly city and the flood waters reached areas no one suspected could be flooded.

by Anonymousreply 453May 24, 2020 7:48 PM

Amazon Fresh is back to being able to get your order in 2 hours or next day but about 30% of their products (ground turkey, frozen pizza, iceberg lettuce) are listed as "currently unavailable". On the other hand, Fresh Direct and Peapod have hardly any open delivery slots for the next 7-10 days, while the others seem to be back to the normal routine of same/next day openings. Strange - are those companies short on workers, short on enough merch to fill orders, backlogged from weeks past and can't catch up, have poor scheduling?

by Anonymousreply 454May 24, 2020 8:12 PM

Hoping the wipes come back up at Walmart soon!

by Anonymousreply 455May 24, 2020 8:22 PM

It's absolutely shopping madness out there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456May 24, 2020 8:30 PM

r452 There are already plagues of locusts in Africa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457May 24, 2020 8:31 PM

[quote]You know sometimes you might have more luck if you order some products directly online. For example go to the Coca Cola website...I had no idea they made so many different things besides Coke. Just order direct if you can.

How long have you worked in Coca Cola marketing? You cannot direct purchase anything except souvenir shit on their website, shill.

by Anonymousreply 458May 24, 2020 8:36 PM

So, I got Pandemic Unemployment and went to the mall to stimulate the economy and replace my tattered summer clothes.

Half the shops in the mall are still closed (Apple Store, Microsoft, Vans, Stance). And of the half that are open, half of those keep the fitting rooms closed!

It's apparently too dangerous to re-wear clothing every Tom, Dick and Harry has already been through and too costly for many stores to clean clothing that has been worn.

Express has their fitting rooms open, but they're steam-cleaning everything a customer tries on and leaves. They say the heat kills the coronavirus.

The other stores are expecting you to buy the clothes first, take them home to try on and then return items to the store if they don't fit. To accommodate, stores like Cotton On and H&M have extended their return policies indefinitely (so you can wear something for a year and then return it).

Are you guys thrilled to buy first, try later?

Which mall stores are not open for you?

by Anonymousreply 459May 24, 2020 9:30 PM

Oh, and huge department stores like Nordstrom and Forever 21 with multiple levels have closed every entrance but one!

They're forcing everybody to enter from one, main entrance on a different level than you want and placing someone at the door to keep count of how many people are inside.

It's going to be a hike, folks.

by Anonymousreply 460May 24, 2020 9:33 PM

R459 They are doing the same, in my area. I don't understand how it is safer for the clothing to travel to my home for me to try it on and then travel back to the store.

by Anonymousreply 461May 24, 2020 9:33 PM

I guess if I want a new iMac have to order it online.....

by Anonymousreply 462May 24, 2020 10:13 PM

good luck with tyat r462. many of the computer companies are either out of literally every computer model or completely unreachable. dell is good though, open customer service and stock ready to ship. not knocking Apple, just saying be certain that you can get an actual ship date before you order.

by Anonymousreply 463May 24, 2020 10:19 PM

well luckily I am not in urgent need of one but will need to do it sometime in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 464May 24, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote]If anyone can find the aerosol spray Lysol (or generic equivalents) or Micro-ban spray please let us know. Also the latex or plastic or nitrate gloves. Disposable.

If you happen to live in California, Rite Aide has Microban spray on and off- I found some there in March, even though all the other disinfectants were long gone. Smart & Final gets boxes of gloves in a few times per month. Some are vinyl and some are latex.

by Anonymousreply 465May 24, 2020 10:29 PM

Went with an elderly neighbor yesterday to Walmart, because he needed to replace his ancient TV. Although there were still 6ft tape lines ans limited entry outside the store, once inside, nobody observed social distancing and many people pulled their masks below their noses or chins. I was bumped several times by idiots pushing against me to look at items.

We also went next door to Best Buy, assuming we could line up and eventually go in. The line was actually to make an appointment for personal shopping next week. We get 30 minutes- that's it. We were advised to pick TVs out on their website to learn all the specs, but my neighbor always asks a zillion questions because he doesn't understand tech issues, so it will be interesting to see how they handle his inevitable hour-long stay.

by Anonymousreply 466May 24, 2020 10:35 PM

Nitrile gloves are available at various stores. Just do a Google search.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467May 24, 2020 10:40 PM

I'd recommend going elsewhere instead of Best Buy. They have a horrible return policy (15 days), I don't know if it's been extended because of Covid, but doubtful.

Further, the last several purchases I made from them, the products were all damaged. One of the last items I bought, a TV, I had to return/exchange, three times, before I got a set that wasn't damaged.

by Anonymousreply 468May 24, 2020 10:41 PM

Although they have a very limited selection, Costco has both good prices and the best return policy of any retailer for electronics (TVs and computers both.) And tech support as well.

by Anonymousreply 469May 24, 2020 10:51 PM

I was in the vicinity of Trader Joe’s today when I thought what the hell I’ll check it out. Line to get in was so long it wrapped around to the back of the building. Estimated forty five minute wait. I REALLY wanted their dark chocolate peanut butter cups (which if you haven’t had are fabulous) but that was too long a wait for me. Everyone was masked and appropriately distancing which was heartening after all these idiot Memorial Day crowd pictures. Thank god I live in a really blue state.

by Anonymousreply 470May 24, 2020 10:53 PM

It's not my choice, r468. He is dead-set on Best Buy because they will send Geek Squad to deliver and install it (for a ridiculous $199 PLUS a $50 fee for something else). Nobody else local is delivering or installing. I'm hoping he talks himself out of it, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 471May 24, 2020 10:54 PM

yes, if you have one conveniently located to you, costco is definitely the best option for a tv.

by Anonymousreply 472May 24, 2020 10:54 PM

He doesn't have a Costco membership and won't get one, but thanks for the suggestion. Unless the membership, delivery, and installation fee are less than what Best Buy is charging, he's not going to budge.

[quote]Thank god I live in a really blue state.

I live in a blue state, too, but as you can see from my post at 466, that makes no difference once you're inside certain stores. Walmart doesn't enforce anything and half the employees had their masks below their noses.

by Anonymousreply 473May 24, 2020 10:58 PM

Sams Club also has good TV deals. They used to install as well, I don’t know if they still do. Both Costco & Sams have a two year extended warranty. The installer is a separate company they use.

If he has a cable company, usually they will do all the set up. All he has to do is put on the feet, and put it up on the cabinet or wherever. It takes two people for that if it’s a big TV, if you’re willing to help him. Not because it’s so heavy (It isn’t) but because the large ones are fragile. They have to be supported by two people.

Depending on your cable company, they may or may not charge for the install. Tell them he’s old and find out what they’ll do. You can always say he’s your dad. .

by Anonymousreply 474May 24, 2020 11:25 PM

Spectrum told him they don't hook up TVs, but I did present everyone's Costco selections and he begrudgingly said he will be willing to go look. However, with the COVID restrictions, will we still be allowed to look around inside without a membership?

by Anonymousreply 475May 24, 2020 11:57 PM

Miss whoever is looking for gloves, if you are getting grocery delivery check that store, it was one of the few things our store had even at the worst peak, and they should deliver.

by Anonymousreply 476May 25, 2020 12:11 AM

only two people per card allowed in so you need to borrow one from someone /send him with someone with a card. you can call them and ask if they have any kind of one time guest pass. lay it on thick about elderly vulnerable war hero.

lots of people's place of employment have membership ask around.

by Anonymousreply 477May 25, 2020 12:13 AM

A friend with a Costco membership said they aren't letting non-members in to browse like they used to.

Has anyone used HelloTech? They claim to be nationwide, but I've never heard of them.

by Anonymousreply 478May 25, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote] they aren't letting non-members in to browse like they used to.

understandably so

by Anonymousreply 479May 25, 2020 12:24 AM

Costco really is the best in terms of the length of warranty they'll give you. Also, for those who don't know, your credit cards often provide an additional 1 year warranty on your electronics like TVs/Computers/Phones.

You can also purchase from Costco online without being a member (most items are slightly marked up for non-members).

I hope your neighbor talks himself out of it, especially if he's elderly. I wouldn't want any one coming in to my house to install anything right now.

by Anonymousreply 480May 25, 2020 12:28 AM

What kind of install does the neighbor need? Does he need the screen mounted on the wall? Otherwise most installation is easy and surely someone can do it for him?

by Anonymousreply 481May 25, 2020 12:30 AM

I was going to get the Costco CC but seeing as we had the most horrible timing with joining, I don't even know if I'll ever go inside of one this year or next.

by Anonymousreply 482May 25, 2020 12:34 AM

To the person wondering how it's better to have people purchase and return clothing rather than letting them use the dressing room, the reason is people suck. They would take 50 different things into the dressing rooms, not like any of them, and then the store is stuck having to quarantine or disinfect their entire inventory by the end of the day taking a lot of their inventory off rack for days at a time. Those same people are not going to purchase 50 items, so even if they bring some things back, the quarantining/disinfecting process will be much less overwhelming plus they'll be able to keep their inventory on the racks for other shoppers.

by Anonymousreply 483May 25, 2020 12:57 AM

I'm afraid to buy clothes from places that take everything back, like Amazon. So many things are from private dealers through Amazon and you know they are not disinfecting returned clothes and underwear. I mean how can you really disinfect clothes without using bleach and you can't with most clothes and if you could they would not be in any condition to sell again. I think I'm going to make what I have try to last forever.

by Anonymousreply 484May 25, 2020 1:21 AM

R483 I guess I don't understand that. I only ever try on something if I really want to buy it.

by Anonymousreply 485May 25, 2020 1:40 AM

Time will disinfect the clothes, R484. By the time someone gets it, sends it back, it is reordered by you, and shipped to your house, the virus would be long gone. I'm not making any promises about underwear, though! Underwear should be non-returnable at all times as far as I'm concerned!

by Anonymousreply 486May 25, 2020 1:43 AM

R482, this is really a good time to have a Costco card. Masks are required and Costco is a very clean store. Nobody gets in without a mask, so the crazies don’t even go there.

A lot of cities have a Costco Business Center store. They have different merchandise from the regular Costco stores. They cater to small businesses like restaurant owners. But anyone can go there.

The Costco Business Center opens at 7:00 am six days a week. That eliminates most of the obnoxious people, and the store isn’t as crowded. The Business Center store has items that are more practical for now. Commercial grade plastic food storage containers that can go in the dishwasher, restaurant grade knives & utensils, plastic garbage bags and zip lock bags in many sizes, gloves, diapers, toilet paper and paper towels. Laundry and dish soap.

The center of the store is shelf stable one-serving drinks and snack foods packaged for vending machines. Juices, Gatorade, water, nuts, candy, breakfast bars etc. A large variety. There’s a larger than normal refrigerated section that always has eggs, produce and cheese. They still carry a lot of refrigerated meat too. Now a lot is pork and sausage. Big freezer section, and some canned goods including chicken, salmon and sardines. Their baking and bulk goods section is really good, better than the regular store. Lots of beans, rice and pasta. There’s a small section of pharmacy goods and booze. They didn’t run out of some things in the pharmacy section as quick as the other stores because restaurant owners aren’t there to buy shampoo and OTC meds. No electronics, clothing or linens. Those are at the regular stores.

Sams is a different clientele. They’re the Walmart crowd, many items are not as high quality. But right now they have plastic face shields, which Costco doesn’t. I am so pissed because I upgraded to the Sams executive card in February, and they eliminated early bird hours for executive card members shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 487May 25, 2020 1:51 AM

The other difference with Sam's Club and Costco though... is that in my experience, Sam's Club carries more major brands. Over the years, Costco has started slowly eliminating other brands, replacing them with Kirkland brands.

One other thing that Ill give Sam's right now is their scan and go option. I prefer doing that than standing in line and putting my things on the belt.

As far as the Executive Hours at Sam's, sucks about the early hours, however, you're now earning 2% back on purchases and can get free shipping on most items online. I upgraded a few months ago and have already made my money back and then some on the difference between regular and executive membership just on the 2% alone.

by Anonymousreply 488May 25, 2020 2:03 AM

I'm running out of Buckwheat. I didn't think the English even knew what it was, until now. I don't know when I'll ever get it again.

by Anonymousreply 489May 25, 2020 2:05 AM

R489, if you know the brand name, check their website. They usually have links to where you can buy the product near you, or order online.

by Anonymousreply 490May 25, 2020 2:17 AM

If you travel a lot, the Costco and Sam's credit cards (Visa and MC, respectively) are great for rebates. I took two pricey trips last year and got an ENORMOUS rebate check that you can convert to cash. Rebate is 3% for both cards. Sam's also gives back 5% on all gas purchases. I don't even shop at either store that much, but the cards and rebates are great deals.

by Anonymousreply 491May 25, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote]What kind of install does the neighbor need? Does he need the screen mounted on the wall? Otherwise most installation is easy and surely someone can do it for him?

He has a stand for it, but neither of us know anything about hooking it up to the modem/router, DVD player, and universal remote. I've never owned a TV because I watch everything on my tablet, so I'm as useless as he is in that regard.

Costco isn't really worth the time or money for either of us, beyond the television purchase. We buy very few processed foods due to having kidney disease and when we looked around 3 years ago, we didn't find many other items there that we'd actually buy. I don't have a car and both of us get our prescriptions through Kaiser, so the other benefits don't really pay for the cost of membership. Neither of us has patience for the ridiculously long lines, either. The only person I know with a membership is out of the state for a few more weeks, so I think I'll try to set up a HelloTech visit for him if he decides on a Target TV instead of being ripped off by Best Buy.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help out with the TV drama. 😉

by Anonymousreply 492May 25, 2020 2:40 AM

You could call Spectrum and find out if he has the latest cable box or router or whatever he rents from them. If he doesn’t, he could ask for an upgrade and they would have to do his set up for him. A lot of times you can get faster speed if you upgrade. Just find out if they would charge more for more modern equipment. They might not.

by Anonymousreply 493May 25, 2020 3:00 AM

It's a shame he needs to have someone install because those are all things that are pretty much simply just plug things in to the assigned ports. As far as the cable/modem, if it's a newer tv, it can most likely be run off the wifi.

by Anonymousreply 494May 25, 2020 3:08 AM

I just got him the upgrade in December. Spectrum doesn't help with the DVD player or universal remote, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 495May 25, 2020 3:08 AM

I can understand your elderly neighbor not being able to figure out how to connect everything. But, it is easy and you should be able to do it in under 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 496May 25, 2020 3:13 AM

How would I know how to set up a universal remote, connect the DVD player, and know which of the other cables go to the audio, video, and modem when I've never even owned a TV?

by Anonymousreply 497May 25, 2020 3:16 AM

Because it is very easy. Everything is clearly labeled and comes with manuals, or you can watch a quick youtube video. It isn't hard at all.

by Anonymousreply 498May 25, 2020 3:22 AM

R497 you don't need to have ever known how... it's self-explanatory.

He has a current set, correct? I assume that one is hooked up to his DVD player, etc? You'd literally just unplug his current one and plug it back in to the corresponding spots on the new TV.

There aren't many options. Red, White, Yellow cables get plugged into the red, white, yellow, slots. Cables marked HDMI get put back in to HDMI inputs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 499May 25, 2020 3:33 AM

I think the words I've come to hate most now are "Out of stock." How is it possible that people are still buying a ten year supply of disinfecting wipes and 70% isopropyl alcohol and antibacterial liquid soap. They must be for the stores to still be out of them every single day. I keep refreshing the page at Walmart, Target, Amazon, CVS, Walgreens, etc. My other hated words are "in store purchase only." Why are the stores encouraging people to come in person when the safer thing for the stores and the customers is shopping online?

by Anonymousreply 500May 25, 2020 3:41 AM

[quote]Everything is clearly labeled and comes with manuals, or you can watch a quick youtube video. It isn't hard at all.

He has 8 unlabeled cables that are all the same beige color and no, he doesn't have a "current set." The sound finally went out on his old piece of crap and the repair guy told him it wasn't worth fixing. He also said setting up the universal remote should be done by someone more experienced with all the settings, so that's how we're going to handle it. If I don't do it right the first time, I have no desire to to keep going over there and fiddling with things I know nothing about. I have a zillion other things I have to do for my job that require what little concentration I have, so I'd honestly rather he pay tech who needs the $ rather than deal with it myself.

by Anonymousreply 501May 25, 2020 4:02 AM

R500 I agree. I see it all the time on Costco.com and I just don't understand how it can still be happening to that extent.

by Anonymousreply 502May 25, 2020 4:24 AM

Some stores might not have the man power at shipping warehouses to fulfill the amount of orders coming through/that would come through web orders.

by Anonymousreply 503May 25, 2020 4:26 AM

[quote}A lot of cities have a Costco Business Center store.

There are 16 of them in the US, and seven are in California. So not exactly a lot of cities. But they are great stores if you've got one nearby.

by Anonymousreply 504May 25, 2020 6:53 AM

Yesterday (Sat.) I went to a Dollar Tree and two Dollar General stores here in NorCal, for the first time since before the lockdown started.

The first Dollar General was one of the sketchier ones in this area, but I went because it tends to be lower traffic and I hoped I might luck out there because of it. They didn't have any Lysol, wipes or anything like that, but I did find some SoftScrub, which I haven't seen in ages, and they had plenty of paper products, both cheap stuff and name brands. Also plenty of the Dawn antibacterial dishwashing liquid that can sub as a hand soap, in small containers. I found some 8 oz spray bottles of Swan hydrogen peroxide, which I bought a few of for disinfecting purposes. There were a few people in the store but I was one of only two people with a mask, and no protective gear at all on any of the employees. The second Dollar General, which is one of the Dollar General Markets with a larger grocery section, was VERY busy and mostly picked clean of anything useful - although again they were fully stocked with most brands of toilet paper and paper towels. Very few masks and/or gloves, none on employees and not nearly enough social distancing. I was going to buy a big bottle of Dawn and a large bottle of peroxide but decided the lengthy wait in such close quarters wasn't worth it, and ended up leaving without buying anything.

The Dollar Tree was probably the best experience - it was clean, not too many people and more were wearing masks and gloves (not the employees, though). I went there hoping to find some of the Spic and Span antibacterial spray cleaner that I regularly use but hadn't needed to buy since around February, and I was expecting them to be sold out. But they had plenty, and I was able to stock up. Had no luck with finding any LA's Awesome glass cleaner though, which I also usually get there, but it's always harder to catch that in stock. Looked around and didn't really see any more in-demand stuff except tissues and napkins.

My overall takeaway for the day is that people are REALLY throwing off masks, gloves and social distancing in big numbers, and it's scary. It's also scary how I'm seeing fewer employees wearing protective gear. And to top it all off, as I drove around to these three stores, all of which are probably within a five-mile radius of one another, I saw at least half a dozen big house/yard parties going on, complete with bounce houses. Get ready for a big spike in cases soon, because people have taken the 'cautious re-opening' stuff as a complete all-clear.

by Anonymousreply 505May 25, 2020 7:25 AM

[quote][R489], if you know the brand name, check their website. They usually have links to where you can buy the product near you, or order online

Thanks, r490 - BUT, all brands OUT OF STOCK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506May 25, 2020 8:54 AM

If there is a spike of infection in two weeks time, we will know how to proceed with quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 507May 25, 2020 12:58 PM

Manufacturing can't keep up with demands, r500. Also transporting anything with a high alcohol content is expensive and has to go by ground.

by Anonymousreply 508May 25, 2020 2:16 PM

A friend told me about Pledge Clean It Spray. I found a lot of it at Target. It's not stocked near the other anti bacterial cleaners, so you might have luck finding it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509May 25, 2020 3:02 PM

I knew before I even clocked on R509 it would show up out of stock online.

Target blows moose balls with all the shit they are unwilling to sell online.

by Anonymousreply 510May 25, 2020 4:38 PM

I just got back from Dollar Giant. I bought 3 small (16 oz) bottles of 50% rubbing alcohol for $2.99....a piece.

by Anonymousreply 511May 25, 2020 5:39 PM

unfortunately it needs to be over 60 percent to be effective

by Anonymousreply 512May 25, 2020 5:54 PM

Even used straight on the hands, r512. Regardless, I needed it for other things.

by Anonymousreply 513May 25, 2020 6:18 PM

unfortunately yes

by Anonymousreply 514May 25, 2020 6:21 PM

Windex sells an lemon-scented antibacterial cleaner in a spray bottle, r509. I see it at Vons a lot. Not effective against viruses, but if you need antibacterial cleaner, it doesn't smell too bad.

by Anonymousreply 515May 25, 2020 10:11 PM

This is the one I have/use, R515, and it is on the list of CDC approved products for Coronavirus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516May 25, 2020 10:17 PM

It is? FABULOUS! Now I'm glad that I bought some. Thanks for letting me know, r516.

by Anonymousreply 517May 25, 2020 10:23 PM

Yes, you have to follow directions for rotavirus, which means leave it on for 10 minutes (!!) but I use it for our doorknobs, faucet pull, etc

by Anonymousreply 518May 25, 2020 10:46 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519May 26, 2020 3:28 PM

Rolling the dice for disinfecting wipes today!

by Anonymousreply 520May 26, 2020 6:42 PM

I visited a small mom & pop pharmacy to pick up my prescription and they suddenly have Kirkland paper towels ($2.49 for large roll) and toilet paper ($6.99 for a 4 roll pack) on the shelves. I go to this pharmacy once a month and the Kirkland brand was not sold in the past. Now I see why the bigger stores are constantly out of paper products - these other places are buying up the stock and reselling it at what looks like inflated prices.

by Anonymousreply 521May 26, 2020 8:14 PM

Harmons' sells their brand of disinfecting wipes,75 count= 4 dollars per container.

by Anonymousreply 522May 26, 2020 8:21 PM

Kirkland is costco's house brand? I thought Costco implemented a maximum purchase policy for their customers?

I purchased a four pack of toilet paper made by 7th Generation at Whole Foods The 4 pack was 5 dollars and I was outraged by the cost, whole foods has a fucked up pricing scheme

by Anonymousreply 523May 26, 2020 8:29 PM

R522 but most of us are not in utah

by Anonymousreply 524May 26, 2020 8:37 PM

r524 I assumed he was referring to Harmon Face Values, which is part of Bed Bath and Beyond, but maybe I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 525May 26, 2020 8:50 PM

South Florida Walmart today. Toilet Paper! All kinds of brands and sizes! Paper towels! Lysol products!

by Anonymousreply 526May 26, 2020 8:51 PM

So I guess we have to think like squirrels preparing for winter, and it’s not even June.

by Anonymousreply 527May 26, 2020 9:53 PM

It's going to be interesting once we get closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hopefully we won't get a second wave, or else it's going to be impossible to find baking supplies like flour. It's probably not a bad idea to stock up on seasonal items like pumpkin puree and cranberry sauce well ahead of time just in case.

by Anonymousreply 528May 26, 2020 10:01 PM

Pumpkin purée is good for baking generally, because you can use it to make cakes and breads more moist. Like applesauce.

by Anonymousreply 529May 26, 2020 10:04 PM

good luck with that. tge only place to get pumpkin (libby's) is web restaurant store. I got 4 #10 sized cans for my dogs and am stressing about when i need more that being not an option.

by Anonymousreply 530May 26, 2020 10:16 PM

I have yet to have an issue finding pumpkin puree when I've gone to the stores here in Southern California.

by Anonymousreply 531May 26, 2020 10:35 PM

Oh, good lord. Thanksgiving will be a very solitary event. Tell you what. If you want to have Thanksgiving, you and your family and friends will need to quarantine for three solid weeks before time, so you can be together. I am talking about serious quarantine, not a bullshit one. No exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 532May 26, 2020 11:42 PM

Because of all the mother fuckers going around without masks and not social distancing and all the places of business not doing shit about it by Thanksgiving we will be in a much worse position than we were in March and April, MUCH worse.

by Anonymousreply 533May 27, 2020 12:46 AM

This might be the first Christmas ever that people look forward to getting one of my fruitcakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534May 27, 2020 5:12 AM

R466 and r468, I recommend the home shopping networks (QVC, HSN, ShopHQ) for large Samsung Smart TVs.

Sometimes they offer free delivery, but ALWAYS offer 4-6 monthly no-interest payments (you get the item after the initial payment is accepted), and at least a 30-Day return policy.

by Anonymousreply 535May 27, 2020 1:51 PM

I just got back from a trip to the grocery store (full of shelf-stockers with masks pulled down under their noses.) When I moved to the checkout, the security guard informed me that after this Friday, masks would no longer be required in the store. What the fucking FUCK?

This was the Centre Ave Giant Eagle, for the Pittsburghers. Do any locals know what in hell is going on?

by Anonymousreply 536May 27, 2020 2:09 PM

Oh, thank GOD, Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 537May 27, 2020 2:12 PM

Wow SylviaFowler. Stupidity is running rampant now!

by Anonymousreply 538May 27, 2020 2:23 PM

R466, I second that comment about buying TVs by shopping channel. I know an elderly person on a fixed income and they always bought big electronics that way. And sign up for their mailing list now. They are hurting for business and there’s a lot of five easy pay deals right now. They will deduct it from your credit card for a small amount per month.

The items are delivered to the front door. They have to be set up, but if he’s only paying a small amount per month for the TV, he should be able to afford somebody to hook it up, if you can put on the feet and put it in place for him. That’s really simple.

by Anonymousreply 539May 27, 2020 2:33 PM

R534, fruit cake might be the only way to avoid scurvy by Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 540May 27, 2020 2:34 PM

R538 The policy change may be in response to these bullshit lawsuits.

If you have a breathing disability, the hell are you doing out shopping in a deadly respiratory pandemic, bitch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541May 27, 2020 2:43 PM

This is why I haven't been in a grocery store in almost 3 months. These assholes.

by Anonymousreply 542May 27, 2020 3:04 PM

R542, Grocery stores have been safe for the most part. They've done a really good job in a difficult environment.

by Anonymousreply 543May 27, 2020 4:14 PM

[quote] Grocery stores have been safe for the most part.

As of last week, at least 68 grocery workers have died and more than 10,000 have been exposed or tested positive for the virus, according to the United Food and Commercial Workers.

by Anonymousreply 544May 27, 2020 4:21 PM

The purpose of wearing a face covering is to prevent those of us who are infected from passing on the virus.

I don't understand why a person chooses to assume their rights are being violated in this circumstance, most people recover from this virus but it's not an easy death for those who don't.

If we citizens wore face masks at the beginning of this outbreak, we may not be sitting in quarantine for two months right now facing economic disaster on the other side.

The feds dropped the ball and left states and companies to implement policy based on contradictory and flawed data.

It IS political and this is all on the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 545May 27, 2020 4:21 PM

R545 When it comes to masks, NPR had a great overview of the changes and why they were slow to happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546May 27, 2020 10:49 PM

I said it last Wednesday and I'll say it again today. Go on Wednesday - it's the slowest day of the week in grocery stores. Always has been, still is. The parking lot was less than half full at a store where the locals complain on NextDoor they should have a "Residents Only" parking area so the out-of-towners don't take all the spaces.

At 1:30 this afternoon there was no line outside and no waiting at the checkouts. Bliss. The store was clean and uncrowded, everyone wears a mask, all the produce, bread, and baked goods were new and fresh, the stuff with sell-by dates all had dates next week or next month, there was a surplus of paper goods, they had chicken breasts on sale, and there were big signs in the windows saying they go back to regular hours - i.e. not closing at 6 pm - starting next Monday. They still don't have lactose-free half and half (and I don't think the buff Brazilian guy in Dairy knows what I'm talking about when I ask if it's back in stock but he has such beautiful eyes and a great smile I can see through his mask, so I don't really give a shit) but WhoFoo does and they didn't have a line this afternoon, either.

by Anonymousreply 547May 28, 2020 1:55 AM

I managed to get more wipes from Wal-mart shipped to home. These ones are Great Value, but it works for me. I'm just gonna keep trying to squirrel stuff away for a while.

by Anonymousreply 548May 28, 2020 3:57 AM

I give up on Shipt, I think they have done mass hiring and no training lately. Orders wrong and not even asked about substitutes. Order delivered to the wrong house. Frozen food totally unthawed, I think they are doing multiple shops at once so my stuff got left in their car.

by Anonymousreply 549May 29, 2020 11:26 AM

I never used Shipt but have read nothing but bad things about them

by Anonymousreply 550May 29, 2020 5:11 PM

I stopped by a local taqueria chain for lunch. They were out of pork, so no carnita tacos for me today. The beef fajita tacos were a tasty substitute, though.

by Anonymousreply 551May 29, 2020 6:52 PM

R536, is that an urban area or the suburbs? Here at the other end of the state, masking is universal at the Wegmans in Malvern (Philadelphia suburb). I haven’t heard anything about de-masking in this area, but we are in the state’s “red” zone, that is, still under the most stringent quarantine orders. Your part of Pennsylvania was less hard-hit than the Philly area, probably because of our proximity to New York

by Anonymousreply 552May 29, 2020 10:06 PM

R552 That is within the city of Pittsburgh, just two miles from the University/medical corridor, in a densely populated area. The grocery chain is being sued by Deplorables and caving in.

by Anonymousreply 553May 29, 2020 10:40 PM

And unfortunately one doesn't have to go far from urban Pittsburgh before one hits truly dumb Deplorableland.

by Anonymousreply 554May 30, 2020 4:23 AM

Trying to get food is positively a NIGHTMARE!

by Anonymousreply 555May 30, 2020 4:55 AM

R554 Truth.

by Anonymousreply 556May 30, 2020 10:36 AM

No one is wearing masks anywhere.

ugh.

by Anonymousreply 557May 30, 2020 3:58 PM

Instacart would have pointless delivery dates months ago. It made more sense to venture out with my mask.

Yesterday, I placed an order in the early morning and it arrived same day. They must have hired a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 558May 30, 2020 5:42 PM

r558 Same situation with me. First few times I ordered from Instacart (Aldi) delivery days were several days into the future. Now everything is "within two hours," although I like to schedule at least a day in advance in case I think if something and need to edit my order. Same with Walmart -- at first you had to order five days out, and even then, they cancelled my order TWICE at the last minute. Now it's much easier to find pickup times. So far I've managed to go 10 weeks without going into a store!

by Anonymousreply 559May 30, 2020 7:45 PM

I expect delivery will get harder to secure again in a few weeks when the second wave hits.

by Anonymousreply 560May 31, 2020 5:33 PM

With all the protests here I expect our 2nd wave.... I ended up ordering some stuff from Amazon Pantry

by Anonymousreply 561May 31, 2020 5:40 PM

Amazon Pantry is by far the most useless of all the services I've used. They never have ANYTHING in stock. Amazon Fresh isn't available in my area (although Whole Foods delivery is, but I've never used it.) It's been Aldi (Instacart) and Walmart, with the occasional Target, Amazon, and Walmart non-perishable order. I tried Ralphs (Kroger) once, but it wasn't a good experience.

by Anonymousreply 562May 31, 2020 7:05 PM

R562 True, I tried to fill a cart and they have nothing, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

by Anonymousreply 563May 31, 2020 8:52 PM

Remember girls, tomorrow is probably not the best day to shop, it's the first of the month.

by Anonymousreply 564May 31, 2020 8:53 PM

Food Kick, the subdivision of Fresh Direct, is being phased out soon. FYI - Food Kick is a grocery delivery service that seemed to be marketed to millennials who needed stuff to stock their fridge for a few days or were having friends over for the weekend and needed chips, dips, some wine /beer and a few hot appetizers. Their prices were kind of high for a lot of the products.

The two entities will be joining together in a week or two. Here is what their FAQ says: "How does transitioning FoodKick to FreshDirect Express make shopping easier Our new one-site experience will offer more timeslot choices, easier reorder, great product selection, and a dedicated Customer Service team that's ready to help you. It will also allow you to shop for on-demand items and your full weekly shop at the same time. Buy what you need for right now, the rest stays in your cart for a future next-day order."

by Anonymousreply 565June 1, 2020 6:47 PM

If anyone is still looking for hand sanitizer, Walgreens has a lot of it available for shipping, including large, 32 ounce bottles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566June 1, 2020 8:50 PM

Walgreens has also had Lysol spray in and out of stock all day on it's website.

by Anonymousreply 567June 2, 2020 1:51 AM

A bunch of stores around me (Los Angeles) have sent out notices that they will be closing down tomorrow due to protesting/rioting.

That's certainly going to make grocery shopping more hellish.

by Anonymousreply 568June 2, 2020 3:42 AM

I've been venturing out the past week or so. Was completely locked down since March 8th.

In any case, Boxed.com has very large bottles of Windex Multipurpose Disinfectant, 8oz and pocket sized hand sanitizer, masks, & a variety of toilet paper right now (6/1-6/2).

by Anonymousreply 569June 2, 2020 6:15 AM

I know that Amazon Pantry seems to be picked over but I got lucky tonight and got a few items that have been sold out. Also for anyone who is on assistance you can use your Snap/EBT card there.

by Anonymousreply 570June 2, 2020 7:12 AM

Slow day at work...Going shopping now before the uptick in CV cases (oh, nm - too late) and things get even crazier out there. Paulus Hook is good so far, but IDK what to expect in the next couple days.

by Anonymousreply 571June 2, 2020 3:09 PM

NYCTechie I've discovered going to the markets in the mid to late afternoon is a good time to shop. No lines and fewer shoppers, ShopRite, Target & 99 Ranch and it has been more relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 572June 2, 2020 4:42 PM

JCGuy: Yep! Very peaceful trip. No lines at Target👍Shelves stocked. I prefer midday though (12-2). I take the light rail and need to avoid people on there too! It is practically empty around midday. More people come out after 3pm and after 6pm - forget it! At least that is my experience on Tuesdays.

by Anonymousreply 573June 2, 2020 6:44 PM

Went out to the stores today. The last big shopping trip I did was a few weeks ago and I had hoped to go another week or two without having to go back out, but with all the shit going down, I figured I should try to make another run now before things get worse.

The last time I went, it looked like things were slowly being replenished but when I went today, it was like everything was reset to how it was a month ago. The grocery store had no beef available, no pasta, no flour, etc. They had plenty of pork (are we still not eating pork)? They had plenty of fresh chicken, but no frozen chicken. Ice cream was also gone.

Oh, I also checked for those Pillsbury rolls / Biscuits for whoever used to always post about them. Those were completely wiped out too.

by Anonymousreply 574June 2, 2020 7:00 PM

R574: Other people probably had the same idea as you (shop/stock up now before shit gets worse)!

by Anonymousreply 575June 2, 2020 7:08 PM

Remember, though, yesterday was the first of the month. Yesterday and today are getting hit hard with all the shoppers on assistance, SS, etc.

by Anonymousreply 576June 2, 2020 7:40 PM

r574 what are people doing with the Pillsbury rolls/biscuits? I have a tube of Grands in my refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 577June 2, 2020 8:19 PM

I put them on top of home made pot pie filling or stews or make egg and sausage biscuits. mmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 578June 2, 2020 8:36 PM

Nothing, R577. I don't use them. I just always look for them now because someone on these threads was always inquiring about / looking for them.

by Anonymousreply 579June 2, 2020 8:44 PM

it's always a good time for biscuits!

by Anonymousreply 580June 2, 2020 9:19 PM

South Florida - My weekly Walmart trip. Was pouring rain when I arrived and not only did Walmart have people wiping down carts and handing them off, but they had someone holding plastic bags to put your umbrella in! This is a superwalmart and I have never had to wait to get in, workers have always been super friendly. AND the toilet paper/paper towel aisle was FULLY stocked today! No problems getting my foods today, but I also was able to get my hurricane season crap

by Anonymousreply 581June 3, 2020 2:34 AM

Went to the Kroger in Buckhead. Picked up half a pound of glass shards and a half used bottle of spray paint.

by Anonymousreply 582June 3, 2020 2:44 AM

R582 is that the MurderKroger?

by Anonymousreply 583June 3, 2020 2:49 AM

R582 = Logan Paul

by Anonymousreply 584June 3, 2020 3:17 AM

New thread since this one is ending and may be on permanent prime time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585June 3, 2020 5:17 AM

I went to whole foods(nyc) a few days ago and they had hand sanitizers and wipes. but the wipes are labeled hand sanitizer wipes, in a tube.

by Anonymousreply 586June 3, 2020 5:33 AM

I forgot to add that they are their store brand 365 brand.

by Anonymousreply 587June 3, 2020 5:33 AM

I forgot to add that they are their store brand 365 brand.

by Anonymousreply 588June 3, 2020 5:33 AM

Yikes, what’s up with coffee prices? California here. Even a nasty Tasters Choice instant was $12.99.

by Anonymousreply 589June 3, 2020 2:18 PM

Got my Amazon Pantry order this morning and am very happy with it. I was able to get tuna, crackers, soup, pasta, juice, canned fruit, oatmeal, etc.

by Anonymousreply 590June 3, 2020 4:31 PM

r590 But how many things did you want that they didn't have? I'm still finding them woefully understocked on even the most basic stuff. Do a search for some random staple item and you'll end up with a page of completely unrelated junk.

by Anonymousreply 591June 3, 2020 5:25 PM

The Pantry was so much better before this revamp. I can't even find enough things I want on there to qualify for a lousy 35 bucks in free shipping. It sucks.

Fresh isn't even as good as it used to be and I don't think the problems are Covid related.

Whole Foods seems to still be okay. Since late March I have not been able to get a slot on Fresh Direct so I've never beenable to try them. Really, fuck them. I'll stick with Whole Foods and occasionally Amazon Fresh.

by Anonymousreply 592June 3, 2020 5:40 PM

My Target/CVS is still closed. After they promised to open back up.

by Anonymousreply 593June 3, 2020 5:42 PM

r591 I actually felt lucky because before when I checked they only had the Nabisco Premium crackers and when I came back they had the Keebler Zesta ones I prefer so I was able to get those, also I got the last 2 liter of Mountain Dew Code Red (a guilty pleasure) and 2 cans of Progresso chicken noodle and I hadn't even seen those listed before. The food seems to be fresh, I just opened up a bag of Combos I bought and they are dated 2/2021 and taste fresh. But I agree it seems very hit or miss what they have in stock.

by Anonymousreply 594June 3, 2020 6:32 PM

Link to new thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595June 3, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]If you have a breathing disability, the hell are you doing out shopping in a deadly respiratory pandemic, bitch?

Not all of us have healthy people with cars who are able to shop for us.

by Anonymousreply 596June 3, 2020 11:48 PM

I made biscuits from scratch tonight -- used the King Arthur recipe with self-rising flour, butter and buttermilk. They came out OK but didn't rise that much. Tasted good anyway.

by Anonymousreply 597June 4, 2020 1:09 AM

R596, check on Nextdoor. There are people that are willing to do it for you if you ask.

by Anonymousreply 598June 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Thank you, but I can't count on unmasked strangers to check for phosphates, calcium, sodium, etc on every item. I have kidney disease and it's not that easy to shop.

by Anonymousreply 599June 4, 2020 2:21 AM

We outta here!

by Anonymousreply 600June 4, 2020 2:29 AM

R599, a few years back I was on a very specific diet due to health issues. I know what you’re talking about, I had to read every single label, which is hard to do now because you have to touch products and then put them back on the shelves which is bad now.

Try a site like calorieking.com. They have nutritional information about name brand products and you can look them up yourself and then order by brand name. They also have nutritional information about produce, grains and meat.

Another things you can do is buy mostly frozen and no salt added canned foods which is what I still do. Buy individual ingredients and put them together. Dry beans, rice, and oatmeal have no salt. Frozen foods have no salt added. You can go on the brands’ websites where they have nutritional information. Winco and Walmart have house brand no-salt canned vegetables including beans, green beans, corn and fruit with no sugar added. Del Monte makes a line of canned no sugar added fruit and vegetables that a lot of stores carry.

It might be worth it to buy an Instant Pot as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601June 4, 2020 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!