Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Tracy Chapman's career go straight down the shitter?

Not to mention Suzanne Vega's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2021 2:10 PM

Better question is how it came up it in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2020 9:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2020 9:23 PM

She's been able to live off pretty much one album. Lucky her.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2020 9:24 PM

Always heard she made ELLEN seem like the Mary Poppins of Dykes

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2020 9:25 PM

Tracy has been reincarnated as Thunderstorm Artis. I love him. His vibe and gentleness and sensitive textured voice remind me so much of Tracy. He's bound to be a star from The Voice. Vote. Seriously, he's great. I want him to sing Fast Car. There's this longing and sadness in his very very pretty voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2020 9:28 PM

She's pretty protective of her copyrights. I believe Gabrielle's "Dreams" initially sampled Chapman but Tracy wouldn't consent to clearance of the sample. There was a similar situation with Chapman and Nicki Minaj recently.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2020 9:30 PM

You'd think she'd take advantage of that easy money. being a musician these days is slim pickins, paycheck wise.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2020 9:34 PM

Be nice. Kelly Clarkson looks like SHITE here, but she covers Tracy's song so well. Her vocal palette is so fucking superior. Ain't much that KC can't sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2020 9:38 PM

The OP is an absolute moron. She's a talented musician who has had a great career.

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2020 9:51 PM

R9 is new here.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2020 9:52 PM

DL is so weird. I was just thinking about Tracy Chapman earlier today and wondering what happened to her and Edie Brickell and that one from Texas. They all came out at the same time when I was a youngster working in a record store. Michelle Shocked—that’s the Texas one.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2020 10:16 PM

Michelle Shocked is an ex-gay now, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2020 10:18 PM

She has a few songs which rule them all, nothing else matters.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2020 10:39 PM

Did Tracy perform at Lilith Fair?

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2020 11:10 PM

She had some great songs and was one of the few alternative rock/folk songwriters of the late '80s/early '90s who was worth their salt. Suzanne Vega was more arty/pretentious IMO, whereas Tracy wrote from a place that seemed more humble and earthy (and therefore more relatable).

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2020 6:56 AM

Fast Car was a huge hit at the time and it was covered recently by Jonas Blue and it was a hit in Europe.

Baby Can I Hold You was covered by Boyzone and was a big hit in Europe as well.

I think the royalties and licensing of her songs have kept her financially secure.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2020 7:00 AM

Tracy Chapman is doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2020 7:13 AM

Her career isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2020 7:15 AM

These “down the shitter” threads are fucking stupid. I don’t know if it’s the same person who keeps starting them, but the general premise and phraseology is retarded.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2020 7:26 AM

Meg Ryan, Jessica Lange, Faye Dunaway, Tracy Chapman, Demi Moore, Bette Midler at R19!

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2020 7:28 AM

She skyrocketed to fame and is happily wealthy ever since.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 8:13 AM

According to Chartmaster (2019) she's sold 44 million albums.

I think she's just fine.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 8:17 AM

Give me one good reason to stay here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 8:53 AM

Here you go OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 8:56 AM

She wasn't into being famous. She's fine being a private, semi-recluse in her ocean-view estate in Half Moon Bay, CA.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2020 11:11 AM

I’ve seen her around SF several times over the years and she seems painfully shy. I’ve never understood how she survives financially since she never tours or records anymore. She must be the exception to the rule with musicians who mostly have to tour to survive.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2020 11:51 AM

I’ve seen her around SF several times over the years and she seems painfully shy. I’ve never understood how she survives financially since she never tours or records anymore. She must be the exception to the rule with musicians who mostly have to tour to survive.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2020 11:51 AM

Was she in a relationship with Alice Walker? Isn't it that she was with Walker and Walker's daughter was with Meshell Mdegeocello?

I hope she's doing well financially because she has written some beautiful songs. When Fast Car comes on in a public place, I can see people bracing themselves for a private moment. That song alone! But she's had a few terrific albums.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2020 12:30 PM

Mdegeocello is more talented.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2020 12:35 PM

r11, Michelle Shocked went insane and is now a fundamentalist, anti-gay nutbag. I haven't looked her up since pre-Trump, but I'd very surprised if she wasn't on the QAnon train riding around crazyville right now. The jazz album should have been a warning that she needed an intervention.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 12:44 PM

I hardly doubt she wants to have a residency in Vegas, OP. She had hit songs on various albums, and now has a smaller cult following. Her residuals from 3 major hits (Fast Car, Gimme One Reason, and Baby I Can Hold You) pay the bills, and now does what she wants. She wasn’t ever trying to be Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2020 1:15 PM

Fast Car is a touching song. Some people doesn't want to be famous. There are people who really just love music and want to sing. Her career is not shit just because her album doesn't get to billboard 200 and nobody recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2020 1:33 PM

According to Google, her net worth is $8M. She's doing ok.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2020 1:34 PM

I saw her live once. It was such a boring concert. It would have been effectively the same staying home with the CD playing.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2020 1:46 PM

We'll be mostly dead so her music is best in the format in which it'll reach the greatest number of people: listened to in private.

Lesbian bars had a period of going nuts at the first notes of Give Me One Reason. Reminds me of a glorious time sweating and dancing and making out with women at Cubbyhole. I miss those days.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2020 2:58 PM

A musician who writes all her own songs, sells millions of copies of her albums, and gets residuals from her hits, is not going to have a hard time surviving financially, R27.

There are performing songwriters who’ve had far less mainstream/financial success than she’s had who years later, despite not repeating their chart/sales peak, have no trouble financially whatsoever in the present day.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2020 4:51 PM

OP, you started this thread for TIFFANY, Bruce Willis, Laura Branigan, Joseph Gordon Levitt, etc.

Better question, why has OP's credibility and imagination gone down the shitter?

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2020 4:55 PM

Her music is more meaningful than most of her time period, the late 80s. She and Terence Trent D'Arby had such strong debuts that they never were able to match in success

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2020 5:06 PM

R28, I thought that Chapman had an affair with Alice Walker and Walker's daughter, Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2020 5:12 PM

R11, I think Edie married Paul Simon, had kids and fell off the map.

R25, my dream would be that Tracy started coming here to keep us updated on the gas prices in HMB, a la our old friend Cackle Cackle

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2020 5:19 PM

R39 well well well! I didn't hear that!

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2020 7:50 PM

Her debut does really well on streaming . It was the second best selling album of 1989 next to Like a Prayer. It was HUGE in Europe. And I believe Tracy maintained her popularity in Europe even though it went downhill here.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2020 7:57 PM

I don’t think her career went down the shitter. She had a few big years of global success, and maybe it wasn’t for her. I always saw her as a coffee shop folkie. She certainly must have made enough money to never worry again.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2020 8:05 PM

I think she had a good record deal, by artist standards. She toured enough back in her big era. She bought a nice house that has like ten times the value it was in the 80s and - let's face it - she doesn't seem to spend on much else. I read somewhere once she drives a Honda. I think success and privacy outweigh the need for labels and constant attention for some people.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2020 8:08 PM

Comedian Marsha Warfield said she was coming out with her own hair care products called "I could give a damn".

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2020 8:26 PM

Is she a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2020 8:28 PM

R34: Exactly! I saw her live once and it could’ve been nap time for me. Same goes for Diana Krall, a boring live performer but her CDs are great.

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2020 10:39 PM

[quote]I’ve seen her around SF several times over the years and she seems painfully shy. I’ve never understood how she survives financially since she never tours or records anymore. She must be the exception to the rule with musicians who mostly have to tour to survive.

Artists -- before the illegal downloading and streaming era -- didn't need to tour. They could live off of albums sales. So best believe, Tracy Chapman made bank off of her 44 million in RECORD sales -- not $1 streams.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2020 7:29 AM

FYI: Tracy Chapman had not only a great debut album but her follow-up album was a hit as well too.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2020 7:30 AM

She's got a fast car.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2020 7:50 AM

[quote]Is she a lesbian?

No Rose, she went to Michfest all those years because she loved the outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2020 8:16 AM

During a concert years and years ago, Michelle Shocked declared, "God hates f*gs!"

The horrified Americana and album-oriented rock radio station programmers who had promoted her music and kept her career afloat blacklisted her post haste, as did many a concert hall.

I don't think she's recorded since then, and she doesn't seem to perform much. Hardly anybody wants anything to do with her.

But give the Devil her due: she was a much-above-average singer-songwriter in her youth. Pity about her reprehensible, Westboro-like beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2020 9:09 AM

R52, she’s severely mentally ill and fucked up from her upbringing, attendance of certain churches in adulthood, and her own self-loathing from being a (once out) lesbian.

I can’t even fault her for what she said. She’s just fucked in the head.

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2020 8:29 PM

In the 1980’s a friend of mine interviewed for a job as her assistant. Actually, she had the interview with Chapman’s assistant and friend. She thought the interview went okay but she didn’t get the job,

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2020 5:12 AM

Quote:

While performing at the Wild Goose Festival in June 2011, a Christian event at which the inclusion of gay Christians was debated, Shocked responded to an audience member's question about homosexuality by saying "Who drafted me as a gay icon? You are looking at the world's greatest homophobe. Ask God what He thinks."

On March 17, 2013, Shocked made an impromptu speech against same-sex marriage during a concert at Yoshi's nightclub in San Francisco, which led some audience members to leave in protest and the club's management to end the show. All venues eventually cancelled scheduled performances of her "Roadworks Tour" in response to reports of Shocked's remarks. In a March 20, 2013, email to the news media, Shocked apologized, saying that her comments had been misinterpreted, and that she was not describing her own opinions about homosexuality, but rather those of some Christians. An audio recording of the performance was reported as contradicting Shocked's post-performance explanation.

On April 1, 2013, Shocked appeared on CNN's Piers Morgan Live to clarify her remarks. Morgan asked Shocked three times whether she was "homophobic." Eventually, Shocked stated "If you want to keep this simple for the audience, let me just give you a straight no, I'm not homophobic. But the truth, I don't think, lies in the simplicity. It's in the nuance, and that's been completely lost in this…" She said that the meaning behind her prior comments was misinterpreted.

/quote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2020 8:45 AM

quote:

In the mid-1990s, Walker was involved in a romance with singer-songwriter Tracy Chapman, saying: "It was delicious and lovely and wonderful and I totally enjoyed it and I was completely in love with her but it was not anybody's business but ours.

/quote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2020 8:46 AM

I told Tracy that I love her - and there ain’t no more to say

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2020 9:46 AM

I thought she was with Meshell Mdegeocello?

Anyway, loved her on Seth Meyers.

by Anonymousreply 58November 3, 2020 8:52 PM

Not everybody wants to be a plastic surgery junkie, adopting foreign children, and twittering themselves into oblivion for attention.

by Anonymousreply 59November 3, 2020 9:08 PM

who is she?????

by Anonymousreply 60November 3, 2020 9:10 PM

R38 Tracy’s “New Beginning” album was a smash and gave her the biggest single of her career. She wrote her own stuff and owns it, was smart about money and the business and was able have the freedom to do what she wanted as an artist.

by Anonymousreply 61November 3, 2020 9:11 PM

Her voice is still as distinctive as it was 30 years ago. I'm so glad that Seth Meyers was able to book her this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 3, 2020 9:17 PM

She ate Alice Walker's snatch.

by Anonymousreply 63November 3, 2020 9:19 PM

[quote] I thought she was with Meshell Mdegeocello?

No gurl! Two butches? No way.

by Anonymousreply 64November 3, 2020 9:20 PM

She may be shy but it comes across as smug.

by Anonymousreply 65November 4, 2020 8:37 AM

C'mon, sister-friend! Go talk to the people at Thirty Tigers and put out a new album, already!

by Anonymousreply 66November 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Happy Birthday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2021 2:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!