Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black Unemployment Rate More Than Doubles to 16.7% In April

In March, analysts were reporting that the coronavirus pandemic would hit African Americans and Latinos harder than any other race. Those predictions have become fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2020 6:46 PM

So much for the administration’s most recent con.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2020 4:40 PM

Glad we don’t have to watch him pull this stunt any longer.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2020 5:44 PM

This is bad news for 2020 campaign.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2020 6:14 PM

May will probably be worse.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2020 6:14 PM

So why have progressives collectively decided that pushing lockdowns into perpetuity is a smart political move? Do they think that unemployed AA voters are more likely to vote for Dems and their overt and implied promises of hand outs?

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2020 6:46 PM

FF r5. Not playing with these trolls today.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2020 6:48 PM

R5

Conservative loser who wants black people to die.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2020 6:49 PM

Trump can no longer claim he is the best president for black people

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2020 6:56 PM

[R6] & [R7] Projection. Has it ever occurred to you that there's value in being aware of other opinions even if you disagree with them? Both African-Americans and Hispanics were at historic rates of employment before the crisis - is deliberately keeping them from working for as long as possible part of an electoral strategy? I'm not saying it is but it might be. How else to explain the the level of fear-mongering in the media and the concurrent radicalization of "lockdowns or bust!", which is rife on Datalounge. Why not just arrest the sun, the stars, the moon?

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2020 6:56 PM

[quote] So why have progressives collectively decided that pushing lockdowns into perpetuity is a smart political move?

Um, science

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2020 6:57 PM

[quote] Do they think that unemployed AA voters are more likely to vote for Dems and their overt and implied promises of hand outs?

The rich keep voting for the GOP based on overt hand outs.

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2020 6:58 PM

[R10] Bullshit. Dems suddenly wrapping themselves in "science" is rich.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2020 6:59 PM

Black people weren’t doing any better under this miserable traitor. That was a myth.

Thanks to Obama, employment was up in some sectors, but under the current republican administration, pay was at an all time low, adjusted.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2020 7:00 PM

Deliberately collapsing the economy to get rid of Trump is an idea progressives have been toying with since his election. Bill Maher said it outright. Don't act as if the idea is alien to the Left.

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2020 7:01 PM

Republicans are still trying to take healthcare away from blacks and give tax cuts to the millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2020 7:01 PM

R9

I have nothing to say to racist, deplorable scum like you except:

Black Lives Matter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2020 7:02 PM

[R15] Of course I'm aware of it - I have a "take health care away from blacks!" bumper sticker on my car. What universe are you living in?

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2020 7:03 PM

Trumptards talking about handouts is rich, as Trump and the Repigs look to bail out their corporate interests and line their own pockets.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2020 7:04 PM

With tax payer money. Lord knows what all they have stolen while in office.

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2020 7:05 PM

That fact that there's more diversity of thought among black voters scares the shit out of the Democrats. Trump was actually, and very unexpectedly, getting significantly more support from African-Americans than any of his predecessors, as typified by figures like Diamond & Silk and Kayne West. So much support that the alarm bells were sounding for the Dems before the crisis. Dems don't speak for all blacks. Lots of blacks are pro business and for low taxes - they are also business owners and entrepreneurs. That's going to be an increasing fact of life given the rise of African Americans in the professions. They're not going to want all of their wealth confiscated for "the greater good", either.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2020 7:20 PM

R20

Lol you Trump cultists have been posting the same bullshit for years now. When are you going to give it up? Deluded pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 7:24 PM

I really feel bad for deplorables. I know they don’t deserve sympathy but to see them so devoted and in awe of a small-time con artist who doesn’t give a single fuck about them is sad.

Their lives are MUCH, MUCH worse than they were 4 years ago. Their leader basically rolled over and let this pandemic kill 90,000 people and countless jobs.

It’s pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 7:27 PM

This is why the rethugs pushed diamond and silk under the bus. The con on the black vote is busted.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 7:31 PM

Kanye West took it all back and says he was used by republicans.

This whole stunt is crumbling. Another campaign failure.

Who ever is running their campaign needs to be fired.

Better yet, keep them.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 7:32 PM

He is currently the “president.” So why are black suffering so greatly under this great leader?

If they wouldn’t have blown the pandemic response, blacks would’ve been much better off.

Their communities are being destroyed under this “president”.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 7:35 PM

[R25] Blacks were "suffering greatly" under record employment? Twitter isn't real life and pundits always have an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2020 7:46 PM

R26

Idiots like you who only look at unemployment numbers and the stock market are the worst of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2020 7:52 PM

2019: Black workers are being left behind by full employment

“Although economists consider the U.S. economy to be approaching full employment – a situation when there are more jobs than people – black Americans are experiencing unemployment at Great Recession-era levels. For many black Americans, the unemployment rate is significantly higher now than during the recession. While the national unemployment rate is the lowest in 50 years, this figure primarily reflects white employment dynamics. Last month’s lower employment figures certainly should raise concerns of an economic downturn, but black communities are already in a recession.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2020 7:54 PM

These republicans ought to be ashamed to be cultivating the African American vote at the same time trying to oppress them and deprive them of higher wages, health insurance and environmental protections.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2020 8:04 PM

R20 most Americans of every race are pro business and support lower taxes. It’s the social issues, and hypocrisy of giving welfare to the wealthy and corporations that many conservative Democrats object. Black people were always going to support the Democrat over Trump. Trump has gone out of his way to demonize our women, it has not been ignored. A few black men and a smaller portion of black women will support him, but the rest of us aren’t interested in rubbing shoulders with Thad, Liam, Karen, Billy Bob, and a Grand Wizard.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2020 8:38 PM

Trump only has 3% African American support. And given this current COVID-19 pandemic disaster made worse by Trump and his incompetent administration. I don't see those numbers improving moving forward.

Although, I do agree with R20 that more and more black people are starting businesses and are pro business and wealth, and fave always been. I know I am, I'm black myself. But I'll say this, one of the main reasons I vote for and support Democrats. Is because I care about civil rights the voting rights act and the environment and those seem to be things Republicans don't give a fuck about.

As a black person those are things that effect me personally, so I see it in my intrest to vote democratic every election. Also I could never get on board with Republicans using the southern strategy and dog whistle politics. I'm uncomfortable with all of that. That's also partly apart of the reason why one of my uncles left the Republican party, the racism is out if control. If you have to resort to racist political tactics to get your base excited to come out and vote for you to take office, then your not an effective enough leader in the first place if your that lazy that you have to resort to divisive politics.

But I'd never vote for Trump anyway, or any Republican for that matter. Not as long as the Republican party is what it currently is.

Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2020 8:38 PM

[R29] Notice the damning rhetoric with no specifics. Very typical. Your statement doesn't constitute an argument. And the historic high employment figure was relative to African-Americans, not the overall population - which makes it no less significant. Any way you slice it, African-Americans have been more prosperous under the Trump economy that at any other time. Until Covid-19, that is. I know that fact is difficult for the Far Left to handle because it contradicts the many ways in which they've been indoctrinated. It's mind-blowing to them and it makes them furious. They prefer hateful rants, propaganda, drama, hysterics, bizarre conspiracy theories, etc. - these things are all very disturbing to the mind, body and soul.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2020 8:39 PM

R32 Yeah black people with means. Celebrities athletes and business people etc. But not the average every day black person.

Go to black neighborhoods and you'll see otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2020 8:46 PM

R32 All that florific inciting dialogue and all I came away with is you are a trumptard troll. Your crap doesn't work here on DL. "Very disturbing to the mind body and soul". Hahaha. Been reading your nana/ sisters mills and boon.

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2020 8:47 PM

Republicans are trying to kill obama care, refuse to raise the minimum wage and continue to support and curry white-supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2020 8:48 PM

[quote] as typified by figures like Diamond & Silk and Kayne West

Seriously, stop responding to people who say things like this. Just block them and move on.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2020 8:52 PM

Republicans are very stupid. They want significant black support and votes, but what are they going to give us?

If they were smart, they would make it as easy as possible for African Americans to get the funds they need to start businesses through government grants. But they won't. They would put money into the hands of people who need it the most right now, but they won't. They would support a temporary universal basic income right now, but they won't. It's well known that Republicans want to cut everything that helps people help themselves and poor people are not going to support that. Not even most poor white people will support that.

Republicans have had many opportunities to do the right thing by black people, but they refuse to. And thats one of the reasons they never get significant black support.

You have to give to get, and that's something Republicans aren't willing to do for some groups. Which is why they'll never get anywhere with them. If they make a real effort to give something significant, they might get somewhere. But it would have to be an up front thing first, but otherwise they won't get far with certain minority groups.

Republicans intentionally shoot themselves in the foot.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2020 8:58 PM

the troll was dismissed from the thread by r31/r33

You won’t be seeing the troll anymore on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2020 9:12 PM

Welp, we always get fucked up the ass, don't we? Goddamn America! :)

*Born in Canada, but grew up in this wasteland

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2020 10:55 PM

I'm white, and I'm unemployed due to the Corona Virus. Why is it always about skin color? I'm just as fucked without a job as anyone else, my white skin isn't going to pay my bills.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2020 11:37 PM

R40, Bish, you started with more, and you'll end with more. Period!

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2020 11:47 PM

R41 Exactly.

White people will always have it easier.

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2020 12:00 AM

"Why is it always about skin color?"

Ask white society in America. They created the race issue in this country.

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2020 12:03 AM

Forever victims can't have a bit of sympathy for someone going through the same thing they're going through themselves. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2020 12:05 AM

Wait I thought Blacks were suffering more from COVID due to being OUT ON THE FRONT LINES. So how can that be if they are all unemployed?

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2020 12:07 AM

r40 because one group of people, with a certain complexion, traditionally have a higher rate of unemployment in America than white people. This group is likely to be descendants of slaves, people that lived under Jim Crow in the south, or through the smile in your face racism in every other part of the country. There have been no attempts to right these wrongs but there is documented history of the government intentionally destroying, educational, and financial and social fabrics of black Americans. So when one statistics comes out about unemployment numbers for black people, remember the injustices that our families had to face. We are in this sad boat together, but the experiences are different which is why race is relevant.

by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2020 12:15 AM

Thank you R46, you said it.

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2020 12:24 AM

People insist on labeling African Americans and Latinos as races .

perplexed#

by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2020 1:04 AM

The only way the government can make it right is reparations, in the form of stimulus checks for the rest of the year!

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2020 2:30 AM

I have a great idea ! Lets open our borders to hoards an hoards of illegal immigrants and criminals to take EVEN MORE jobs away ( if they are even available) because we ( Dimocrats) care more about them and their struggles than any other segment of our population. Legal or not!

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2020 3:30 AM

[R46] So there's an aristocracy of victimhood?

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2020 3:16 PM

You know what, R44, you're basic - as Annalise Keating said. You want black folks who are disproportionately dying as a group (due to coronavirus) and overwhelmingly last hired and first fired to feel bad for the middle class white cunt complaining about not having a job - for a few months. Boo hoo hoo. I'm 32 years old and was the first person to go to college in maybe three generations - now that I think about it, EVER. And I came graduated, at 26 years old, in NYC, and on the worse side of an anxiety disorder. I couldn't get a job in communications/PR because everyone I interviewed with was a healthy, freshly scrubbed, milquetoast white middle class or higher 23 year old. I interviewed for about 2 years before giving up.

A basic 27 year old white guy or white girl would NEVER have interviewed for 2 years without getting a legitimate offer. And that's just the truth. Yes, I was anxious, and that had somewhat of an influence on how those interviews turned out, but I'm an incredible writer and interned at TOP companies, I could have been hired despite that. I only wasn't, because of my race and gender, and I know that to be true.

So suck it up and move on. Boo hoo hoo. I'm studying now to enter medical school in 2 years or so. And I'm working on a book, as well as a nonprofit that will house homeless people. Keep going, whether you got fired, laid off, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2020 1:54 AM

Agree 100% with r52. Its just harder for POC to get hired. Im in my 30s as well. I decided during the last recession while I was in college that I would pursue a public sector career where black people are well represented, because I knew thats the only way I'd find a job. And it still took me a long time. Years later Im working a technical job in the public sector that I have no passion for, but my bills are paid and my job is recession proof. I admire and envy people who still followed their passion despite knowing the odds are stacked against them, now more than ever. Its so hard out here.

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2020 2:25 AM

I'm also black, I've felt that I can easily get a job once I'm into the interview stage, but I'm naturally good at them. I always use my deep 'straight' voice, know how to build a narrative, present a disarming smile, and mention traditional middle class topics like travel to Europe (they always love those stories) or going to the lake with friends (like its some country song). I present as the 'harmless' black guy that grew up in white suburbs, which is actually true, but I play it up a bit without being fake. Sometimes, I wonder if the ease of employment is due to being harmless, my achievements, or their desire to fill a diversity quota. It's probably a little but of all three, but either way, I make the paper and keep it moving. I think it's especially hard for LGBTQ people to get pasted some of the homophobia in the workplace, add race into the mix and it might be one to many strikes against you.

No matter our color we have to acknowledge that's all a game, everyone is required to play. You might have to bust your ass twice as hard as other people, but success is obtainable in America. Hopefully, we can find a way to encourage the continual rise of black entrepreneurs to create a additional self-sufficiency from the corporate mouse trap and increase opportunities within the black community.

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2020 3:16 AM

Was the rate the same amongst blacks, whites and Latinos with the same type of jobs similar?

I bet it was.

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2020 3:37 AM

All great points R52 R53 and R54.

Also black and 32, Good luck to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2020 9:51 PM

I hope they remember he is a white supremacist in November.

He should get 0% of the black vote.

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2020 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!