Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cancel Culture

I’m getting really, really annoyed with “cancel culture”. Recently, I went to watch one of my favorite shows, the Sarah Silverman Program, and any episode that’s vaguely non-politically correct was basically blocked. I also heard a young lady calling Helen Keller a racist on social media...what????

by Anonymousreply 122April 20, 2021 3:10 AM

Canshel culshurr.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2020 3:02 PM

Yeah I made the mistake of quoting Aunt Ida once to a group of overzealous sjws who were horrified that I was insulting their heterosexual lifestyle because it wasn’t their fault they were born that way. People take everything too far and everyone has lost their sense of humour these days.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2020 3:02 PM

OP = the ghost of Kate Smith

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2020 3:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2020 3:16 PM

[quote]any episode that’s vaguely non-politically correct was basically blocked

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2020 3:20 PM

[R5] go to Comedy Central and look for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2020 3:44 PM

Any updates, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 3:51 AM

^ Oops wrong thread, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 3:52 AM

With the pandemic, we will get some perpective about what's really important in life.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 4:07 AM

What's wrong with Sarah Silverman being blocked? I don't see a problem.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 4:10 AM

Zoomers on Twitter recently discovered RDJ's blackface from Tropic Thunder, and the meltdowns were hilarious.

I can't stand cancel culture in a more general sense, but it is sometimes entertaining to see what these idiots get offended by and how.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 4:48 AM

[quote] [[R5]] go to Comedy Central and look for yourself.

Doesn't work that way. You're claiming outrageous things with no offered proof, OP. No one will believe you until you prove it. So until then, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 4:51 AM

In the age of social media, all the power has shifted from the stars to the fangurls. Put a foot wrong and Fiona in San Luis Obispo will just say “cancel his ass” and start a hashtag. I pity celebrities under 40.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 4:55 AM

One wrong move and you lose your job and your career is OVER--and that's the only possible outcome, the one demanded by "cancel culture." I find it disturbing when that happens to otherwise talented, sensible, and thoughtful people, like the ousted editor of The New York Review of Books, Ian Buruma. Of course, there's often a more complex story behind it that the public never hears about.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2020 5:01 AM

[quote]R9 With the pandemic, we will get some perpective about what's really important in life.

And what we don’t have time for.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2020 6:15 AM

Cancel culture is alive and well right here in the threads of DL. Say one tiny thing that someone has a different opinion about and immediately the screeching begins...."troll !!!" or "Boris!!!" or "republicunt" etc. Even when none of those nouns have any relevance to the topic at hand. Yet the screeching continues.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2020 6:20 AM

Freedom of Speech is dead.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2020 6:45 AM

Openly gay men got canceled all the time by bigots for eons. But NOW it's a problem, because some SJW plants are doing it? Sure, sure. Liberals are the worst, THE WORST!

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2020 6:52 AM

How come the cancel culture hasn't yet wiped out the grotesque poster child for nepotism and shallow self-absorption, Lens Dunham?

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2020 6:58 AM

Perhaps because they have never heard of him. WHO??

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2020 6:59 AM

She is part of that culture, R19. Plus she scores points for being a woman of size.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2020 7:05 AM

The Marty Griffin v. Rachel Levine thread was canceled by Muriel. I even got some refunds. I was over 11100 WW votes and 9500 replies when I went to bed last night. Now it's:

[quote]You have received 11099 WW votes and have posted 9496 replies to threads.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2020 7:06 AM

Helen Keller was NOT a bigot. She did not see color.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2020 7:26 AM

R19

They're trying. The problem is that Lens doesn't seem to care. What's the fun of canceling someone if they don't grovel?

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2020 7:27 AM

Helen Keller was a complete fraud. Ann Sullivan was a PT Barnum.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2020 7:31 AM

R19 Every week or so they will flip out over something Dunham or some other B Lister has said but it doesn't lead anywhere. The only thing interesting about it is how they always seem to attack most aggressively the people who are already politically aligned with them.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2020 7:38 AM

Omg I’m sooooo over this PC culture as well. YouTuber’s and other media folks / celebrities constantly having to apologize for things they said 10+ years ago..... uuuum things that were acceptable then may not be acceptable now... so unless it was posted now STFU. People need to stop apologizing. This is ridiculous.

The worst part is now if they don’t agree with what someone is saying they don’t just disagree.. they try to silence the person and “cancel” them..

These leftist freaks are so self-righteous too, holding everyone to this ridiculous standard.. they should have all their past comments and posts combed over because I guarantee you’d find the same shit in their past too.

I’m SOOOO over it. Be a good person. Don’t actually hate on people. But funny is funny. And don’t take things so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2020 8:01 AM

Its funny to watch people melt down on twitter but it’s more frustrating when they succeed in getting mainstream coverage.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2020 8:11 AM

So, how many of these comments of this thread come from incels? Is it more like 90% or closer to 100%?

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2020 9:19 AM

I was thinking about this last night, and wondered, what kind of stand up comedians will be able to perform? I’m thinking it will be Amy Schumer and a bunch of conservative republican comedians.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2020 2:15 PM

Wait, I need to know how Helen Keller is a racist? You’re talking about the blind and deaf lady??

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2020 2:19 PM

The argument is that Helen’s father owned a cotton plantation, and fought for the confederate army, thus making her a racist.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2020 2:25 PM

OP is canceled.

And Sarah Silverman has been canceled for a while know... she's aiming to be the new (canceled) Susan Sarandon... a total cunt of a Bernie-Bro moron. Can't stand her now.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2020 2:28 PM

R30, there's no such thing as a conservative republican comedian. Conservative Republicans just aren't funny. Like, at all. They have zero sense of humor. Or any sense what-so-ever.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote]Cancel culture is alive and well right here in the threads of DL. Say one tiny thing that someone has a different opinion about and immediately the screeching begins...."troll !!!" or "Boris!!!" or "republicunt" etc. Even when none of those nouns have any relevance to the topic at hand. Yet the screeching continues.

I find that to be quite different in its motivation. No longtime site wants to be infiltrated by a bunch of professional russian trolls. Since we now know they are out there and what their purpose is there is paranoia about it. I think it's understandable; it's not like we can see everybody's IP address.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2020 2:32 PM

This is not just a problem on the left. It is a huge problem on the right or did you all just forget? You can't say Happy Holidays lest you fear getting attacked and berated. Don't go near religion or you'll have hell to pay from the right wing. They use to go after shows which showed interracial or gay characters. So, this is nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2020 2:35 PM

Well, it seems that HK was not in agreement with her father, and was an advocate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2020 2:35 PM

The reason people yell troll and boris is because it is now an absolute truth they are on this board (Muriel has red tagged trolls and put "from Indian troll Farm" or "Posting from Slovenia about a local election" so it is real. Also, it is proven Russian trolls are giving talking points to the right who come here and spew them. Now, the trolls are crying out they can't speak their minds without being called a troll. This is on purpose because the new troll tactic is to say "I'm not a troll. I can't give a different opinion without being called a troll or Boris boohoo." This has been proven to be the new tactic. PROVEN. If you regurgitate those talking points (and you're never clever when you attempt subtlety) you will be called out. We are done with this BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2020 2:39 PM

That's because you WW yourself, r22. You posted a thread about a known homophobe throwing a pity party for himself because nobody wanted to play with him after he, yet again, bullied someone. And Marty is not just any homophobe, he's a homophobe who bullied a gay minister into suicide. And now you're dumb enough to come here and use that thread an example of cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2020 2:44 PM

[quote] Freedom of Speech is dead.

What a ridiculously stupid thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2020 2:44 PM

Thanks, Boris!

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2020 2:49 PM

I did not post that thread, r39. I live in Pittsburgh, where I've been hating Marty Griffin, the Bill O'Reilly of Pittsburgh, for decades. None of which makes it any less remarkable that Muriel canceled an entire thread.

r22

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2020 2:50 PM

As she should have, r42. Since when does a gay site condone the actions of someone with a reputation for bullying gays?

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2020 3:12 PM

I don't recall anyone's condoning anything relating to Marty Griffin, r43. Numerous posters talked about the asshole he is, and has always been. Did you even read the thread?

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2020 3:21 PM

R44 the Op most certainly did condone Marty's actions, which is why people jumped in and weren't having any of it. And, seriously, did you not read the posts that supported op? Are you really defending THAT post?

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2020 3:25 PM

Let’s not talk about some DL fight, and what happened in 🤮 Pittsburgh 🤮... you can get house for almost nothing there, but then you have to live there 🤮

Anyway, just wait, soon Judy Garland will be on the naughty list because she sang “Swanee River”. It amazes me how some get away with it. RuPaul had that “You’ve got she-mail” thing on, then they took it off, replacing it with a racist joke. Kevin Hart, too, why hasn’t he been canceled?

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2020 3:26 PM

And the house is old and busted and basically should have been razed, r46.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2020 3:29 PM

Obama on Cancel Culture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2020 3:33 PM

Soon all deplorables will be cancelled and life will go on!

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2020 3:34 PM

R45, I probably had any Marty defenders blocked. Alternately, I was so pleased to see him being dissed on DL, I may simply not have noticed anyone who defended him. If the thread were still here, I could check.

I'm going to go with "blocked."

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2020 3:35 PM

Sarah Silverman is not funny.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]R27 The worst part is now if they don’t agree with what someone is saying they don’t just disagree.. they try to silence the person and “cancel” them..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2020 3:44 PM

What are you talking about? She’s hilarious! You’re probably way to serious to enjoy her humor.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2020 3:44 PM

If this is the kind of thing that got her "canceled," then good riddance. Her brand of edgy is just not funny. Larry David pushed the envelope with Curb Your Enthusiasm. If so-called cancel culture were out of control, then there's be a backlash to the things he did. There isn't.

Some of you spend way too much time and energy on social media. Who cares what people on Twitter say?

I'm linking to this article because the other two top hits were to CNN and the Independent, neither of which works on DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2020 3:49 PM

R2 you should've responded back "DISQUALIFIED!"!

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2020 3:49 PM

[quote]I also heard a young lady calling Helen Keller a racist on social media...what????

The worst part of cancel culture is that the people doing it are often factually incorrect in their assertions.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2020 3:57 PM

Cancel culture started with conservatives and especially christian conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote]Cancel culture started with conservatives and especially christian conservatives.

That is actually somewhat true - they're the ones who started with boycotting shows and complaining about content.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2020 4:11 PM

"Recently, I went to watch one of my favorite shows, the Sarah Silverman Program, and any episode that’s vaguely non-politically correct was basically blocked"

Blocked from what?

The conservatives who bitch about "cancel culture" are the same people who didn't have a problem with the Dixie Chicks being canceled or Colin Kaepernick being canceled.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2020 4:30 PM

"How come the cancel culture hasn't yet wiped out the grotesque poster child for nepotism and shallow self-absorption, Lens Dunham?"

How come the Republicans here think Lena Dunham is the poster child for nepotism and self-absorption but not the entire Trump family?

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2020 4:32 PM

Oh yes, remember all the music groups who were blasted for going against W and Iraq war? They were trying to get radio stations to boycott them. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2020 4:33 PM

r61, yep, but you won't hear conservatives complaining about that

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2020 4:36 PM

OP just wants to watch the blackface episode because OP gets off on that! I adore SS and she apologized and hates that she did that episode long before anyone tried to cancel her for it! She is hilarious and I love how she deals with deplorable trolls! She is good people!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote] The conservatives who bitch about "cancel culture" are the same people who didn't have a problem with the Dixie Chicks being canceled or Colin Kaepernick being canceled.

To be fair, that's different than cancelling someone who said something years ago that they regret. Colin was unapologetic and made enemies of both the left and right.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2020 4:40 PM

I think you have to live on the East coast or L.A. to understand Sarah Silverman, and born after 1975. You should also not have a stick up your ass, and not laugh and say, “classic...huh huh huh”.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2020 4:41 PM

If anyone giver her shit after the story at r63 then they have no heart. People grow. People change.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2020 4:46 PM

*gives

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2020 4:46 PM

Or, they should just lighten up. The episode with black face is hilarious and not racist, it’s funny as shit.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2020 4:56 PM

R38 you're an example of what's wrong here. Maybe adjust your meds? Not everything is a conspiracy. People have various opinions on things. One "side" of an issue doesn't just get to summarily dismiss everyone else's opinion without himself deserving to be "called out" as you put it. So posters who truly are trolls need to cut it out. And so do people who use the concept that everyone MUST be a troll if they have a different opinion on something as an excuse for their own bad behavior (such as shaming people for having a thought that differs from his own).

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2020 6:20 PM

[quote] Colin was unapologetic and made enemies of both the left and right.

What the fuck are you talking about? Kaepernick has absolutely nothing to apologize for.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2020 6:24 PM

If people had the ability to read minds, our society would collapse overnight.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2020 6:24 PM

R70 You may think so but others are free to boycott or publicly criticize him for his actions. Those who have made mistakes in expressing themselves in the past and have owned up to it deserve the benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] You may think so but others are free to boycott or publicly criticize him for his actions.

Absolutely true, but absolutely immaterial to the fact that he has nothing to apologize for.

[quote] Those who have made mistakes in expressing themselves in the past and have owned up to it deserve the benefit of the doubt.

He made no mistake to own up to.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2020 6:30 PM

R73 I remember he faced backlash from progressives for not voting. He not only angered the right but alienated many of his supporters but it was his choice and is living with the consequences. That's different than trying to destroy someone's livelihood even when they are repentant. Liam Neeson was honest about his past failings and was accepted back but that rarely ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2020 6:42 PM

R70 is correct

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote] I remember he faced backlash from progressives for not voting.

And he doesn't have to apologize for not voting if he thought none of the options would stop the oppression he was resisting, which he believes to be systemic, not tied to a party.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2020 6:56 PM

R76 That's his right but it's not a popular opinion around here. See Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2020 6:58 PM

Can we limit comments to 3-4 sentences max? I don’t have the attention span for more.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2020 7:13 PM

K

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2020 7:14 PM

There is a difference. Susan Sarandon spread lies to help get Trump elected. Kaepernick peacefully protested systemic racism that actually exists.

People don't criticizing Sarandon for speaking. They criticize her for lies that actually damaged the lies of millions of Americans.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2020 7:18 PM

R80 has this under control! Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2020 8:23 PM

R80 his lack of vote made his gesture meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2020 9:07 PM

R61 Funny how little that disgusting episode in our culture is discussed. Fun fact, the mainstream "liberal " media participated in attacks on anyone who questioned the illegal Iraq invasion, from entertainment figures to politicians . Al gore was one of the few public political to criticize the invasion and prominent Washington Post/New Republic writer Michael Kelly wrote a column ranting about gore in response calling him "vile, contemptible, and wretched ". Wapo Richard Cohen suggested in an op Ed that only silly Al Gore and the French would disagree that invading Iraq was wrong. There was a pile on on anyone who didn't toe the line. I really hate aspects of cancel culture but I feel that today's twitter activists would be way less likely to repeat government lies about invading another country than the old school media.

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote] his lack of vote made his gesture meaningless.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. He didn't believe his vote mattered. So he didn't vote. Which he is also entitled to.

Sarandon said there was no difference between Clinton and Trump and that was a blatant and obvious lie and she should rightly be called out for it.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2020 9:23 PM

People who say cancel culture and mainstream media are virtue signaling to deplorables!

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2020 9:32 PM

One of the worst aspects of cancel culture is the public thinking that Twitter should be judge jury and executioner. Referring to OJ or Casey Anthony is no excuse when public figures face potential ruin even before their case goes to trial. Those who counter sue are not even allowed to publicly defend themselves.

In any case the public is starting to sour on cancel culture. See Liam neeson Demi Lovato Camilla cabello Shawn mendes Dave chapelle and so on.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2020 9:49 PM

Tara reades allegations have also been met with much more skepticism.

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2020 9:53 PM

R86 is cancelled

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2020 9:55 PM

[quote] In any case the public is starting to sour on cancel culture.

Actually, the public has never heard of and doesn't give a shit about "cancel culture" outside of the right-wing bubble.

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2020 10:26 PM

I’ve already blocked every deplorable ass on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2020 11:00 PM

The only reason a deplorable would enjoy Sarah Silverman is because she ONCE lamented cancel culture! She stands for every single thing deplorables despise! That is why I adore her!

by Anonymousreply 91May 15, 2020 11:09 PM

[R91] finally someone with good taste!

by Anonymousreply 92May 15, 2020 11:16 PM

I know the Twitter freaks would call me out for "bothside-ism" or whatever the fuck it's called, but I'm seeing cancel culture from both sides all the time. I was born and raised in the south and things like gay content, abortion, or interracial relationships were very taboo and people would try to get books, movies, plays, etc. depicting them banned or pulled in some way. They're very protective over religion, too, and won't stand for anyone making fun of their precious beliefs. These are things that most sane people would agree are not bad or immoral.

On the other side, you have the far left whose heart seems to be in the right place. After all, a comic doing blackface or calling someone fat or something isn't very nice or probably very funny either, but to try to make sure that they never work again even after they apologize seems downright demonic to me. You have people trying to ban books like To Kill A Mockingbird because of the n word. They never look at the context. The characters saying that word are depicted as hateful racists and the book is clearly not condoning their behavior. Quite the opposite.

There has to be some sort of middle ground, right? I wish that just once one of these celebrities getting canceled would stand up and tell these people to fuck off. After all, the people calling them out are probably friendless busybodies who no one likes anyway. They shouldn't have the power.

Don't like someone because of what they've said or done? Don't see their movies or shows or read their books, but to try and take away their career is a bit extreme.

by Anonymousreply 93May 15, 2020 11:29 PM

You blocked yourself R90? I didn't know that function existed on DL. How fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2020 12:13 AM

Omg people, stop posting essays.

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2020 12:24 AM

The extreme SJW types are a bit much, but really I don't care about cancel culture because hardly anything or anyone ever REALLY gets cancelled, with few exceptions. Only credible pedophilia accusations seems to get somebody truly cancelled, and even then they can withstand it if they are popular enough (Michael Jackson). Regular sexual assault accusations don't usually stop anyone from becoming president or a SC justice. Racism isn't a definite career-finisher either; Mel Gibson is back. And these things are worse than the off-color jokes most of them are getting offended by. The humorous college student types may yell and stamp their feet but it doesn't accomplish much.

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2020 1:50 AM

Many people who CANCEL! people will be in a world of hurt say 10-20-30 years from now when all the shit they posted all over social media is still out there in cyberspace and points of view on certain things have changed over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2020 1:54 AM

I'd rather listen to Susan Sarandon than Sarah Silverman. And I can't stand Susan.

by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2020 2:47 AM

The dumb part about cancel culture is that is seems to only apply to [italic]some[/italic] celebrities like Roseanne and Jussie Smolett. People like Kevin Hart (homophobe), Mel Gibson (racist, homophobe, sexist, and other), and Robert Downey, Jr. (blackface, drug addict) get away with it. I am not defending Roseanne or Jussie - what they both did was disgusting - but I see the flaws in the "cancel culture", and it's also disgusting.

It's a bunch of young post-millennials who aren't in school, and now they're binge watching every show and move they can find. As soon as the pandemic is over, they'll go back to worshiping these people. I'm with [R11], just watching it all for the entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2020 3:03 AM

Kaepernick's a whore, doing an ad for Nike making himself richer, Nike a company that donates to Republicans. SJWs are the spiritual successor to the screaming concerned Christians of the 80s and beyond, puritans who try to shut everything down if does not align 1000% to their limited American view.

by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2020 3:10 AM

Some of the Pat sketches are no longer on NBC.com

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2020 3:15 AM

[Quote] and Robert Downey, Jr. (blackface, drug addict)

RDJ was hilarious in Tropic Thunder.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2020 6:23 AM

There are some hilariously stupid takes from people over 50 in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2020 11:46 AM

[quote] Kaepernick's a whore, doing an ad for Nike making himself richer, Nike a company that donates to Republicans.

He's not anti-Republican or anti-capitalist. You seem to not be aware of why he protests.

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2020 12:08 PM

[quote] You’re probably way to serious to enjoy her humor.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2020 2:00 PM

Cancel culture didn’t work for me.

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2020 2:01 PM

[R105] Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2020 2:02 PM

^^Newb

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2020 2:04 PM

R70, he has ONE thing to apologize for: Not Voting. For all his political acts, he didn't actually VOTE when it mattered.

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2020 5:09 PM

Did this thread get cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 110May 21, 2020 7:11 AM

R34 Yes. Republicans will occasionally attempt humor but it always falls flat because it is malicious, cruel, and tasteless. And always very juvenile. And by that I mean something a 9 year old would think of, not even a high school level of humor.

by Anonymousreply 111May 21, 2020 7:19 AM

Cancel Culture was the inevitable outcome of the Berkeley Free Speech movement. The same campus riots now if any speaker dares deviate an iota from the ever changing approved line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 21, 2020 8:22 AM

R38, you are amusing. You really think The DL is on anyone's radar? You really think The DL has such sway over public opinion, the power to influence elections, and topple governments that the Russians have a whole battaluon of form KGB agents monitoring and posting on here?

It is fascinating how people interpret reality to fit their delusions, ego needs, need for self-relevancy, and self-worth. You may spend your lIfe on The DL, but to the rest of the world this site is as important as a fly on a piece of dog shit, especially to the Russians.

by Anonymousreply 113May 21, 2020 8:31 AM

R111 Most people don't fall into ideological camps. Even Bill Maher whose job it was to cover current events was neither conservative or liberal. Most of the comedians I enjoy are liberal but not stereotypically so. I also do enjoy conservative comedians like Norm Macdonald. My favorite comedian is George Carlin and he definitely wouldn't pass the purity test today.

by Anonymousreply 114May 21, 2020 3:56 PM

George Carlin was the first "fuck your feelings" comedian I remember watching.

by Anonymousreply 115May 21, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] I know the Twitter freaks would call me out for "bothside-ism" or whatever the fuck it's called,

Part of the trick to getting over cancel culture it to reject stupid ideological labels like that. Who cares what they call it?

As Nancy Mitford liked to say, it doesn't matter what people call you so long as they don't call you pigeon pie and eat you up.

by Anonymousreply 116May 21, 2020 4:27 PM

R116 Nancy was SUCH a tease!

I enjoyed this video—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 20, 2021 1:52 AM

Speaking of cancel culture, when does Billy Crystal get canceled for putting on brown face make up on SNL back in the 1980's during those sketches where he pretended to be that famous Hispanic actor (whose name I can't remember) ?

I found that offensive then (and I'm not Hispanic), but have yet to hear anybody else ever mention it or bring it up when discussing cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 118April 20, 2021 2:23 AM

[quote] famous Hispanic actor

I didn't know it was supposed to be anybody.

I thought it was an amusing caricature of an extremely unctuous man. The kind of caricature we'd find in Charles Dickens' stories where we find Dickens celebrating the foibles of human nature.

by Anonymousreply 119April 20, 2021 2:57 AM

[R30], there's no such thing as a conservative republican comedian. Conservative Republicans just aren't funny. Like, at all. They have zero sense of humor. Or any sense what-so-ever.

Political extremists (be they far-left or far right) are humorless and never funny, because they care more about pushing an agenda than actually creating comedy. Thus, both extremes won't dare make fun of their own kind (even though some of the best comedy is about laughing at ourselves and foibles) and shoehorn extreme politics into everything. Today's far-*left are the SJWs and the far-right are the Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 120April 20, 2021 2:59 AM

[quote][R30], there's no such thing as a conservative republican comedian. Conservative Republicans just aren't funny. Like, at all. They have zero sense of humor. Or any sense what-so-ever.

Political extremists (be they far-left or far right) are humorless and never funny, because they care more about pushing an agenda than actually creating comedy. Thus, both extremes won't dare make fun of their own kind (even though some of the best comedy is about laughing at ourselves and foibles) and shoehorn extreme politics into everything. Today's far-*left are the SJWs and the far-right are the Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 121April 20, 2021 2:59 AM

So funny! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 20, 2021 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!