Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How often does that thing happen

where people secretly live in hidden spaces in other people’s homes?

Because I think someone is living behind the weird hole in my basement wall.

by Anonymousreply 67May 13, 2020 6:06 PM

Only in nightmares, I hope. More details?

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2020 5:21 AM

Do you use meth?

If so, then yes this is very common.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2020 5:22 AM

9 times out of ten. Raccoon or Opossum.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2020 5:23 AM

The historic Boston cemetery that is adjacent to a methadone clinic had a number of tombs who’s entrances were broken open, and the homeless were sleeping within the tombs.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2020 5:25 AM

No problem, OP; don't bother them and they won't bother you.

But be sure to list them on your 2020 Census form! An accurate account of squatters is important for allocation of gov't services and Congressional representation!

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2020 5:42 AM

I just learned it's called phrogging OP.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2020 5:46 AM

It depends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2020 5:51 AM

R7, that is a Belieber.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2020 5:53 AM

I had to stop after reading after the OP and go void, because I knew the comments were going to be leak-inducing!

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2020 5:54 AM

Ask Gay Talese.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2020 5:57 AM

My basement door is sometimes unlocked, even though I always keep it locked and don’t use it as an entrance or exit.

There are these weird fucking holes in the wall that go to...under my yard, somewhere. I’ve repeatedly covered them up and the stuff is always ‘ripped’ down within days.

And then they are the noises of someone moving by garbage bins, which are near the outside steps to the basement.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2020 6:15 AM

Probably rats . Set out traps or see if anyone can come by.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2020 6:17 AM

I know raccoons have thumbs, but unlocking the door?‽

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2020 6:22 AM

Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2020 6:22 AM

Set up a security camera. On the bright side, perhaps they will make a lifetime movie about your ordeal.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2020 6:23 AM

Kisses, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2020 6:28 AM

^or better...go for da miniseries

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2020 6:29 AM

Wow, ‘phrogging’ is what it’s called. Thanks. Sort of.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2020 6:31 AM

I learned the term from I See You R18.

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2020 6:35 AM

R19, I should have known Helen Hunt was responsible.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2020 6:42 AM

You have flowers in your attic.

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2020 6:44 AM

I don’t know, but I’m convinced I have a... phrogger? in my house. Stuff keeps disappearing and then suddenly turning up.

Either that or a poltergeist.

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2020 6:47 AM

OP, as a kid I used to think a stranger lived in the overgrown elderberry bush at the edge of my parent's backyard. I investigated once and found a 40 ounce beer bottle and used carton of cigarettes, of a type which my parents would have never bought. Looking back, it was probably one of my older brothers -- which they denied -- but it spooked my folks enough that they razed the whole bush.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2020 6:53 AM

R23, were drunken bush dwarves native to your environment?

R22, that sounds more like you have rips in space-time following you about and things keep slipping through.

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2020 7:00 AM

That WOULD make sense op/r24. The last thing that disappeared and turned up suddenly was a cookie sheet. What does a poltergeist or rip in the space-time continuum want with an old cookie sheet?

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2020 7:06 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2020 7:13 AM

R25, well, a poltergeist could probably make some really scary sounds with a cookie sheet. If I’m ever a poltergeist, I’d wanna have one of those in my bag of tricks. But really it sounds like you need some kind of 5th dimensional quantum fabric iron-on patches.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2020 7:17 AM

R26 did the person in the wall always wear that Priest Halloween costume?

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2020 7:19 AM

Sounds like you've got yourself a Bad Ronald.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2020 7:32 AM

My friend and her sister live in a old house in Altadena - there isn't a basement - just a decent sized crawl space under the house. A few winters ago they both got paranoid and kept hearing and feeling noise and movement under the house. They were planning on calling animal control to check under the house. Elaine and a friend noticed that the out side crawl space cover was askew. They opened it up and found a bunch of men's coats, bottles, cans and blankets - men had been living under the house for weeks if not months - is that CREEPY?!!!! The police came and took the stuff and sealed up the opening of the crawl space.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2020 7:34 AM

Now here's a person with some gumption. Lived in the ceiling of a grocery store—and evaded police—for several weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2020 7:42 AM

Do you think I should get a deer camera and set it up aimed at one of the holes?

I’ve been wanting an excuse to buy a deer camera for years. I do not hunt, but have been known to fish.

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2020 8:06 AM

I live alone in my apartment and cannot understand how small items keep disappearing from my kitchen. Might there be designated DL poltergeist activity?

If so, R25, perhaps my missing tea kettle lid and nightlight will turn up at your place. My cookie sheet hasn't gone missing, but I plan to start keeping it with me at all times.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2020 9:12 AM

I assume this is an interior wall, OP? Why not fill it with cement?

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2020 9:24 AM

R34, there are pipes of some sort that go through the holes. But the holes are feet wide around them. The house was built in the late 1800s and the basement was literally carved out of the stone beneath the house and has barely been updated in any way. The wall with the holes is cement over stone, but it’s like carved out deeply inside there. I don’t know how deeply or how far because it’s impossible to see all the way back. The holes are near the ceiling. Whatever is behind them first runs under the kitchen, which has added on sometime probably in the 1930s or 40s and then under the yard behind it. All I can see into it is a deep pit and broken rocks.

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2020 9:43 AM

Your house sounds creepy OP.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2020 9:46 AM

Were I in your shoes, I’d hire a reputable contractor to come in and look at it, and fix it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2020 9:51 AM

R37...but what if its full of drunken bush dwarves?

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2020 10:02 AM

Then maybe they'll share their hooch with you, OP, if you tell them it's a condition for letting them continue to reside there. Kind of like rent.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2020 11:13 AM

OP, are you still alive?

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2020 1:28 PM

r40, I don't even know. I just don't even know anymore.

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2020 8:39 PM

I’ll keep my eyes open r33.

I’ll also look into the fabric space-time patches on Amazon, but if they’re sold out, I will be extremely put out.

How much disappearance/poltergeist fuckery is one person supposed to tolerate during this, the possible end of western civilization?

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2020 8:39 PM

There's a totally stupid film about this called I See You. According to the film, the act of living in a building unbeknownst to its legal occupants is called "phrogging". I do not recommend it (the film nor "phrogging").

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2020 8:43 PM

This very thing happened to Mimi Rogers in Hider in the House. Gary Busey was living in her attic. This movie is fucking nuts, by the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2020 8:56 PM

If Gary Busey is living in the holes in my wall, I'm fucking moving and never looking back!

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2020 8:58 PM

Working at a large university years ago, I had to get into a locked basement room to see if I could hold a large class in there while another was being cleaned up after water damage.

Immediately saw a cot and small fridge, makeshift book shelf, a lamp, tidy pile of clothes. Then I saw a custom-built bike that immediately gave away the inhabitant. Apparently, the odd-but-kind head of our school's IT (I'm talking about a dude making around 120k, plenty to rent something decent) had set up house there after a particularly nasty divorce.

I kindly confronted him and he completely broke down. I never told anyone about it and chose another room.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2020 10:30 PM

You should have let him be in peace R46. Maybe it was cathartic for him to stay down there.

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2020 10:32 PM

OP, your thread is entirely too scary, I’m just saying.

We moved from my childhood home when I was 17. We sold it to a doctor. At the time, medical practices were taking the big ol’ Catholic family homes near the hospital, and turning them into offices. Usually they’d leave the second and third floors empty. For years, I would have the occasional dream that I was going back to the house at night. The doc didn’t mind as long as I didn’t take anything or be a nuisance. Typically, my dream would only have a few set-pieces of furniture upstairs. Over time, when I returned there, there would be an accumulation of dust, symbolizing the passage of years. So, I was afraid for a while that when I died, I’d become a ghost and live there.

I toured that place recently (IRL). It’s better in memory, than in person. I got to tell the new owner that for some reason, when you’re in the front room on the third floor, you can perfectly hear anything happening in the basement. You can particularly hear the sound of billiard balls making contact, which is weird because there’s been no billiard table in the basement in 35 years. Sometimes you can hear the player piano, too. That was an old upright piano that has been gone for decades, too. We had three pianos and no one ever learned to play, I only just realized.

There was a notorious murder in that house, and the body was bricked-up into one of the chimneys, I was told.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 12, 2020 11:47 PM

Some of those are creepy R48 especially the little dent head boy and I'm a skeptic about ghosts. The lady living in the crawlspace is even creepier because it's real.

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2020 12:43 AM

If I was watching that YouTube vid at night I might feel a little creeped out. But, sitting in the sun with my cats around, I'm going to debunk them all.

7. That is not a ghost, it's a plastic bag blowing past. 6. Someone who looks like Julian Cleary was just pranking his neighbour. It could even have been Julian Cleary. 5. The creeper is just some tweaked out burglar who got distracted and decided to leave. 4. Not a child snatcher, just some simpleton delivery driver. 3. Sad old woman who looks like Yoko Ono stealing food. Nothing creepy, just sad. And kind of gross. 2. Tacky old "antiques" aka pawn shop where items were placed too precariously on shelves, or the adhesive holding them on the wall came unstuck. 1. Some wannabe film maker trying to start an urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2020 2:12 AM

R47, I did leave him in peace. "Confronted" wasn't quite the word I should have used. It was more of a "hey, man, I stumbled upon your stuff, I have no intention of telling anyone, just let me know if you need anything."

by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2020 2:13 AM

Who is Julian Cleary?

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2020 2:22 AM

Wow, I have often thought that too, and recorded everytime I was awakened from my sound sleep for over ten years. Thankfully, they have appeared to have disappeared last Nov.

by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2020 2:26 AM

I have mentioned this here before - mamy years ago I had 2 cats amd my young son. I kept finding things out of place and odd smells in my apartment. I assumed it was the cats and kid.

it was actually tye stalker who took it upon himself to make himself at home in my apartment when I was at work and college classes.

get yourself a camera

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2020 2:32 AM

Ifel absolutely sure someone a long time ago dug a tunnel into the middle of my home. They came and went almost every few days for many years. I was SO annoyed. Sometimes I heard giggling and whispering, then all of a sudden nothing. Right after I heard the bumping noises, I felt a sort of annoying buzzing through my couch or bed- very faint but so annoying. It's as if they were using my electricity for about an hour, then they left. Sometimes, my cat started to meow when the buzzing started. Sometimes I'd hear a car drive away nearby. As I said upthread, thankfully I haven't heard them in months. I can only hope they acquired the Covid19.

by Anonymousreply 55May 13, 2020 2:46 AM

Have you forgotten your Zoloft script again?!!!

by Anonymousreply 56May 13, 2020 4:11 AM

r56, stop embarrassing yourself, witless frau.

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2020 4:14 AM

I had ghosts in my first house. The curtains would blow out into the room even when the windows were closed. The chandelier in the dining room would spin in circles. I would come home and every light in the house would be on. We saw, and heard them talking frequently. They were never ever scary...the feeling that everyone who saw them had was that they were just part of the house, which was built in 1898. I was awakened by muffled talking once, and got out of bed and looked into the hallway, and there were like 15 or 20 of them there just standing around talking. They looked at me, and seemd to understand that they woke me up, because they stopped talking, and I went back to bed. I think about them all the time, and wonder if they're still there.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2020 4:32 AM

Most "ghost" events are carbon monoxide poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 59May 13, 2020 4:34 AM

R59 Thanks, I knew there had to be a good rational explanation.

R58 I wonder what they looked like. Puctures or it didn't happen! (At least a description..)

by Anonymousreply 60May 13, 2020 4:51 AM

R56 Excuse me, but I only take Prozac. As far as I know, this wouldn't facilitate people digging a tunnel under my house and messing with my electricity. I can't afford a good electrician! I'm not made of money like like most of you DLers!

by Anonymousreply 61May 13, 2020 4:55 AM

Oh, you know who I meant R52!

by Anonymousreply 62May 13, 2020 1:28 PM

R57 Lick my shitty ass please.

by Anonymousreply 63May 13, 2020 1:58 PM

Is ‘Julian Cleary’ another word for drunken bush dwarf?

by Anonymousreply 64May 13, 2020 2:09 PM

R60 They looked like normal people; you could tell their gender, their age, the color and types of clothing they were wearing, but they seemed a little translucent, or fuzzy...you couldn't really make out details. The best way to describe it in modern terms would be looking at a pic that was still in the process of loading. The first time we were aware of them, my BF and i were eating dinner in the dining room with only candles lit. We both got that feeling when you know something isn't right, but you don't know what, and we both looked to a door that let into a hallway through the kitchen, and there was a guy just standing in the doorway looking at us. He was about 6' tall, wearing a plaid shirt and Khaki pants, probably middle aged. After 10 or 15 seconds, he just turned and walked down the hall. When we got up from the table to look for him, he was gone. Both of my parents witnessed strange things in the house, and many of my friends. It was interesting...

by Anonymousreply 65May 13, 2020 5:39 PM

I saw this happen in a movie starring Michael Vartan from Alias. I also saw this happen in a movie starring the British chick from The Walking Dead. I watched both movies within a week, not immediately realizing that was the premise of the movies! It made me paranoid for about a month!

OP, I would take this shit seriously.

by Anonymousreply 66May 13, 2020 6:01 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned this is also what "Parasite" was about.

by Anonymousreply 67May 13, 2020 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!