Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Won't People STOP Buying "Made In China" Products

Why aren't people checking labels to see where the item was made? Instead they decide on their purchase by the cost and NOT where the item was made

If there is this backlash against China, why won't people NOT STOP buying from China? As shouldn't we support made in America products to stimulated the economy? yet that is not happening

Why?

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2020 9:24 PM

We are.

Made in China is an automatic “no” for me. Slave labor is barbaric.

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2020 2:08 AM

As if it's so easy to do so.

Nearly everything is made in China, except clothes which are now made in Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2020 2:08 AM

Nope, I already have.

They used to worry about poisoning in their infant formula. I don't trust their BPA free testing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2020 2:11 AM

I'm not stopping buying " made in china", tell why should I? Because Trump want it that way? Because corona started there? Tell me

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2020 2:12 AM

But China makes the best lube!!!

It’s the MSG!

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2020 2:17 AM

What's your native language R4?

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2020 2:17 AM

Every Walmart in America would close if that were to ever been. Do you really see fucking Deplorables not shopping at Walmart for their cheap Chinese crap?

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2020 2:21 AM

I stopped buying " made in china" shit a long time ago. Im writing this on my LG made in SK.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2020 2:23 AM

Deplorables talk a big game about sticking it to China until it comes to abandoning their beloved Walmart. HA I bet those stupid pepole don't even know all that shit is made in China

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2020 2:27 AM

Chinese stuff is cheap. I'm scared of the toxic carcinogenic chemicals in basically all of their products.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2020 2:27 AM

I think it’s pretty easy to start buying things from the US, Canada and our allies. A lot of the stuff that comes from China is absolute crap created by people who are paid unfair wages. It’s time for us to rebel against anything from China and if that means Walmart needs to go out of business then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2020 2:28 AM

If you look on Amazon, it's a pretty standard question asked on just about every product. Been that way for years now.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2020 2:31 AM

It's funny you're all talking about Walmart while staring into computers, tablets and phones made in China.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2020 2:36 AM

A lot of that stuff is made in Vietnam now.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2020 2:38 AM

It isn't like you walk into a store to buy an item, and you have more than one choice of the exact same item from different countries. On line you can sometimes find items from other countries but more often than not, on line they won't even tell you where it was made.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2020 2:41 AM

Answer: because we weren’t really given much of a choice. And by “we” I mean the average American households.

Also, NAFTA. Remember that? It happened because corporations wanted to remain competitive with other corporations that had already moved their manufacturing to China.

Don’t worry. We will go without, and VERY soon. Take a little trip down retail lane. What will you find? A bunch of crap they’re offloading from CHINA, as fast as they can, because that’s their only way of getting some income, before they claim bankruptcy, and close up shop, or sell to conglomerates positioned to absorb at a loss, because multiple supply chains are currently slowing down considerably, and/or ending, due to Trumps already existing tariffs and trade war with China, and the new political climate, directing animus toward the country that makes almost every fucking single thing we buy and use, from pharmaceuticals, to blow dryers.

America became a huge retailer, while it exploited a bunch of field peasants, in Chinese factories, for their buying and consuming pleasure.

In a few months, we will have: supply < demand. Buying from China will be the “good ole days”, when we all find it increasingly difficult to impossible to find towels, makeup brushes, and condoms.

What a fucking headache that’s gonna be, and there won’t be any Advil or Tylenol on the shelves of your local retailers, to help you with that, either.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote] It's funny you're all talking about Walmart while staring into computers, tablets and phones made in China.

R13 I'm not the one talking about boycotting and sticking it to China like Deplorables are, now am I, idiot?

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2020 2:52 AM

R17 I would prefer NOT to buy anything made in China.

I also know that for now that's impossible for so many things. Walmart is the least of our problems.

It's nice when I see a "Made in USA" label or a European label.

I'm not interested in supporting China.... but for now there is often little choice.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2020 3:00 AM

Well, if they made medical masks in the USA where it didn't take 50 weeks to get a delivery, I would. But, they don't, so I have to shop in China.

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2020 3:02 AM

I’ve been trying to avoid Chinese products for years, and I no longer use Amazon for that reason. I’m especially careful about vitamins.

I don’t paying more for better quality.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2020 3:03 AM

What consumer goods are made in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2020 3:04 AM

Your medicine comes from China. Everything comes from China. Americans are hopelessly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2020 3:04 AM

R21 you can look for vintage things, even deadstock (old “new” items) on eBay and Etsy.

For example, after years of buying cheap plastic Chinese Mr Coffee makers which invariably died after a while, I bought a lovely old enamel percolator.

Agree with R22 that the drugs are a problem. And of course there are many new items that are hard to find alternatives for. Maybe this pandemic will be the start of positive change.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2020 3:13 AM

R22 wins this post. I always get some troll attacking me when I say so, but if this pandemic hasn't shown this to you by now... well perhaps you are part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2020 3:37 AM

[QUOTE]Everything comes from China. Americans are hopelessly stupid

You're wrong. There are non Chinese alternatives to every fucking thing, many even made on the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2020 4:43 AM

I'm willing to bet that R22 and R24 are helpless and inert lazy bottoms

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2020 4:47 AM

[quote] You're wrong. There are non Chinese alternatives to every fucking thing, many even made on the U.S.

No, dear. We live in a global economy. Even shit that’s made in the US gets parts from outside the country, mainly from China. The US has no power in the world. There’s no going back. The world can’t survive without China making shit at dirt cheap prices. Americans are like the Brits: two delusional populations that still think they’re part of a great empire. We are global. Period. The West relies on slave labor and communism. That’s the only thing keep capitalism afloat. People won’t pay 10x more for a piece of junk made in America. Americans used this rhetoric against Mexicans. Face it, your fat, you’re stupid, and you lazy as fuck. Americans have no money and live paycheck to paycheck. You think they’re going to be willing to spend $500 on a toaster??!! Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2020 4:51 AM

If US wages/buying power hadn't been in steady decline for 40 years, aided and abetted by the federal government, Chambers of Commerce, and greedy corporations, perhaps we'd have more money to buy non made-in-China crap.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2020 4:58 AM

I buy La Choy made in America

La Choy makes Chinky food, taste, acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2020 5:24 AM

Haven't people been saying "BUY AMERICAN" since the 80s???

Damn Americans are stupid AF. Oh yeah, delusional too (thanks R27).

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2020 5:25 AM

They stopped telling us where our drugs and OTC products come from, try finding it on the box, it usually doesn't say where it's made.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2020 5:29 AM

[QUOTE]. The world can’t survive without China making shit at dirt cheap prices.

Yes it can, honey. China is over. Just watch.

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2020 5:49 AM

[QUOTE]Face it, your fat, you’re stupid, and you lazy as fuck. Americans have no money and live paycheck to paycheck.

No, Miss Chang. Those are just the ones you manage to hook up with.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2020 6:03 AM

I avoid anything made in America.

Who wants to buy low quality from oligarchs who cut corners for profit, processed or assembled by an idiocracy?

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2020 6:05 AM

Because free microwaves are awesome !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2020 6:12 AM

I tried to buy toilet paper in this country. I bought some through Amazon marketplace and the seller was China Post.

So once toilet paper is actually available from a U.S. seller I'll stop buying 'Made in China" products

Unless you want to wipe my ass.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2020 6:45 AM

[quote]why won't people NOT STOP buying from China?

Maybe your grammar confuses them?

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2020 7:00 AM

I'm in an industry where much of our product comes from China. Whenever a customer says they want to buy American I give them options, including US and China made. I'd say 80% of the time they opt for Chinese, because it's just as well made, and 20% cheaper. Right now we are getting more business on American made products, only because air freight from China has temporarily tripled in price and lead time due to all of the PPE and sanitizer items being shipped right now.

Fun fact, China imports ink for all of the pens they export from Germany.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2020 8:45 AM

We can say good bye to the dollar stores, if we stop buying from China.

Food is increasingly imported from China. Read your labels. Sometimes they hide it by saying made in PRC. If not imported from China, it may be imported from Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey, Bulgaria, Poland, Peru, Italy, Greece, just to name a few. Furthermore, in a product with mixed ingredients, the country of origin of every ingredient does not have to be identified. So, that can of soup could contain ingredients from anywhere. I don't trust anything labeled organic coming out of China. Given what we know about pollution in China, not to mention the contamination issues, I find it difficult to believe anything labeled organic sourced from China could really be organic.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2020 12:18 PM

I’m nervous because there are beef shortages, so now I have to worry about where they’re getting the beef to put in dog food three moths from now.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2020 12:22 PM

Because it's practically impossible.

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2020 12:28 PM

Lol almost everything in part is made in China. Your phone, your computer. All your meds.

Your iPhone is "designed in California" but made in China. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2020 12:37 PM

All your iPhones are made in China. Americans want manufacturing to return home but at the same time want workers to be paid well. Those two things are mutually exclusive in a capitalist society. People almost always seek out the cheapest option. Businesses are looking for ways to make the biggest margin. We might ostracize China and other countries with cheap labor but as long as we are unwilling to pay a high price, we can't do without them

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2020 12:37 PM

R43 I don’t know...this pandemic might change that.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2020 12:53 PM

It's called consumerism.

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote]Every Walmart in America would close if that were to ever been. Do you really see fucking Deplorables not shopping at Walmart for their cheap Chinese crap?

Let's see, people who buy Chinese made products at Walmart are "deplorables".

So how would you describe the people buying all the Chinese made products that fill Apple stores?

And BTW: right before the pandemic hit, I bought a pair of Warby Parker glasses at one of their very cool stores. It was only until the glasses arrived at my home did I notice the word "China" written inside the frames.

Another store 100% filled with made-in-China shit.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2020 1:49 PM

Keep in mind that a lot of corporations choose to outsource their manufacturing because they don’t want to pay health insurance. Other countries have universal healthcare. Their employers aren’t stuck with a bill. America is just unfit to manufacture goods. NAFTA was the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2020 2:02 PM

I agree and am ashamed I didn't NAFTA for what it is when they came up with it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 12, 2020 2:20 PM

Other countries healthcare bills aren't so damn high paying off administration and insurance companies.

by Anonymousreply 49May 12, 2020 2:44 PM

China is the only country that actually makes things

by Anonymousreply 50May 12, 2020 6:05 PM

I tried to warn you people about NAFTA, and you called me crazy.

Look at you now! Ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 12, 2020 6:07 PM

I tried to warn you people about NAFTA, and you called me crazy.

Look at you now! Ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 12, 2020 6:07 PM

Prime Minister Modi is working hard at the moment to entice US businesses - "medical equipment suppliers, food processing units, textiles, leather and auto part makers are among more than 550 products covered in the discussions" - now operating in China to move their operations to India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 12, 2020 6:56 PM

After the infant formula and dog/cat food was killing babies and pets, I don't buy any edibles from China. I am also leery of electronics because they stop working or can cause a fire. But yes, it is very difficult to find stuff that is not made there. esp. electronics.

by Anonymousreply 54May 12, 2020 7:04 PM

R54 Agree

by Anonymousreply 55May 12, 2020 7:25 PM

The rest of the world is jumping at the chance to strip China of its "factory of the world" title because now China = Death and that gives any other country a pretty sweet edge.

by Anonymousreply 56May 12, 2020 8:08 PM

Nearly everything in a deplorable’s home was made in China. It astounds me that their hypocrisy on this issue is largely ignored. They’re hyper-nationalistic until they have to open their wallets.

Do they ever consider that all of their cheeseball American flag tchotchkes and camo apparel were made in China?!

by Anonymousreply 57May 12, 2020 8:44 PM

The American appetite for cheap consumer goods is insatiable. Go visit a super Walmart if you don't believe me.

by Anonymousreply 58May 12, 2020 9:33 PM

I have been actively trying to dodge Chinese made stuff for a little while now. Last thing I can think of I bought was some cotton buds, just looked at the bottom of the box. Next time I shop for those I will be checking to see where those are made. Phone is a Nokia... made in China, I'll stretch that out as long as I can and will look for a replacement made elsewhere when I finally have to replace it in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 59May 12, 2020 11:46 PM

I did more checking on countries of origin of $$ store stuff. Food also imported from India, Argentina, Australia ( pears), and in other stores cake from Brazil, and assorted foods from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2020 12:10 PM

I don't buy any pet food products made in China.

by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2020 12:16 PM

Isn't it almost impossible to buy electronics that are made elsewhere? Even if the product was assembled in Taiwan or South Korea, most parts were still manufactured in China.

I try not to buy shoes and other plastic products from China since they often use toxic glue or plasticizers.

by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2020 12:21 PM

Good luck finding a new car that doesn’t have something made in China somewhere in it. How many decades did it take for China to manufacture everything? It would take us at least 2x the amount of time to bring manufacturing back. Then it would cost a lot more money and American culture values quantity over quality. I don’t see it happening.

by Anonymousreply 63May 14, 2020 12:48 PM

Why don’t you go ask JI-NAAAAAA!

by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2020 12:50 PM

tests for corona virus are also made in the prc.

and of course the tests are shite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2020 1:10 PM

Gee OP, I’ll have to give up buying Ivanka and even replacing my red Make America Great hats!

by Anonymousreply 66May 14, 2020 1:17 PM

In 1990 I bought an apparel item by a company called American Clothing. Later I looked at the inside label, it said made in the Philippines.

by Anonymousreply 67May 14, 2020 2:09 PM

Start here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 14, 2020 2:20 PM

Or here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 14, 2020 2:23 PM

5 Best Smartphones That Are Not Made in China

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 14, 2020 7:16 PM

In October 2019, Samsung closed its last mobile phone factory in China. Sony also closed its China factory months earlier. Some Apple iPhone models are also no longer made in China. So, we definitely know for a fact that Samsung and Sony smartphones are not made in China any more. For Samsung, some production happens in South Korea and India. Sony phones are produced in Japan. And there is ASUS, which has production facilities in Taiwan. Lastly, LG also makes its phones in South Korea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 14, 2020 7:33 PM

^But check how many parts of these smartphones still come from China. Microchips, batteries, displays etc. are all manufactured in China.

by Anonymousreply 72May 14, 2020 7:43 PM

Possibly because it's becoming increasingly difficult to find ANYTHING that wasn't made in China???

by Anonymousreply 73May 14, 2020 10:14 PM

R72 no doubt, and as R73 says it is difficult to find anything not made in China at least to some degree. But we have to start somewhere, and Taiwanese and South Korean makers like Asus and LG are a fairly good bet as they are trying to pull component supply out of China themselves.

The less that is made in China the better, but this isnt and cant be an all or nothing effort, it will be a progressive effort, moving manufacture either back to the West or to other better or at least less malevolent places

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2020 1:06 AM

The US made this decision a long time ago. We want cheap crap. That’s why airline travel is so torturous. We’d rather have a cheap flight than be comfortable. A we’d rather have a good price than something that lasts.

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2020 3:38 AM

I bought a toaster a year ago that lasted 7 months. Made in China of course. When I complained to my parents my Dad got his old toaster - he bought in the 70s - from the garage so I had one till I got a replacement. The toaster is old and has an ugly design, but still gets the job done more than 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2020 8:39 AM

Just because something wasn't made in China, doesn't mean that all the materials weren't made in China and assembled locally.

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2020 9:10 AM

Time and choice and price constraints. Recently needed a cable for my computer at home and they are ALL made in China. Had to get it because I work from home. Besides a lot of stuff that is assembled elsewhere is still made of parts manufactured in China.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2020 10:00 AM

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2020 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!