Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fauda

Anyone else watch this?

It's an Israeli series that's on Netflix about a counterterrorism unit that's gotten pretty high marks for being even-handed in its treatment of both sides.

This season (Season 3) was the most nuanced yet and has some hot actors on both sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 3:35 AM

1 episode in, we were bored.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2020 9:04 PM

It's not a show that would appeal to many DLers, but it gets top scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's a thriller with lots of violence and tension and since the dialog is in Hebrew and Arabic, it's all subtitled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2020 9:07 PM

I like grim foreign shows and I've liked Israeli movies in the past. Fauda shill, can you tell us more about it?

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2020 9:15 PM

I read good reviews and decided to give it a shot and ended up getting hooked on it. It is rather even handed, given that it portrays the conflict from he side of the members of a special antiterrorist unit of IDF. On the shallow side, the men are really hot (I'd love to do dirty things to Lior Raz.)

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2020 9:44 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2020 12:17 PM

I am checking it out. The premise and story are interesting but it suffers from the formulaic characterization that you get in all Netflix series: a flawed hero with a troubled marriage who is driven to do blah blah. I like watching foreign shows and films because they are less likely to hew to that American formula... except the ones Netflix picks up. Sacred Games also had this problem.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2020 2:11 PM

Sacred Games was pretty honest to the book. Fauda, too, is well written and mounted. The guys are HOT and swarthy! Very masculine. The show at least attempts to view the conflict from both sides - Israeli and Palestinian. I don't expect most of DL to like it, let alone view it. Its not a Rom-Com from a US based studio that churns out formulaic shit in every episode a la Big Bang! Or derails in one season like Homeland did. (btw, that too was based on an Israeli series).

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2020 2:07 AM

OK I am now almost finished with Season 3. The story arc of Walid and Shirin was very interesting. But as the series goes on, all you see are men behaving heroically and women crying and deceiving said heroic men. Also the series frames the conflict in personal terms and ignores the bigger issues and the realities of life in Palestine. Season 3 is very silly.

But overall, I am glad I've watched it and I will watch more Israeli series.

I thought Sacred Games would have been a lot better if they had cut out most of the mystical story. It did not interest me at all. That said, I might read the book.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2020 9:02 PM

I agree with everything you said R7, especially about the tastes of the average DLer

R8 - two Israeli series on Netflix/Amazon you might like are Shtisel and Srugim.

The show that became Homeland, Hatufim (It may be called "Prisoners of War" is on Hulu and Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 1:11 AM

Thanks r9. I will try those shows.

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2020 8:26 PM

I know a ton of people who are obsessed with this show.

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2020 8:45 PM

I will give them a try.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2020 10:40 PM

Those guys in Fauda, so HOT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 3:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!