Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Something About Amelia (1984)

"Something About Amelia" was the most-watched TV show the week it aired January 9, 1984, nominated for eight Emmys and winning three.

Ted Danson learns the best meal is home cooked with his very own hot piece of tail a couple doors down the hall, thirteen year-old daughter Amelia, played by Roxana Zal.

Glenn Close plays a character not too different from her role in The Big Chill the year before.

Did you see this classic TV movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2020 9:44 PM

Michael Landon was the first choice for the role of the father but turned it down because of his morally upright reputation.

by Anonymousreply 1May 9, 2020 6:53 AM

Very uncomfortable to watch imo.

by Anonymousreply 2May 9, 2020 8:57 AM

Great pull, OP. I was 14 and I remember talking about this made-for-TV movie in hushed tones at school. I always hoped we’d see more of Roxana Zal, but she never broke out.

by Anonymousreply 3May 9, 2020 12:50 PM

I love when Glenn Close smears cum in her hair.

by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2020 12:54 PM

Let's not go there.

by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2020 12:55 PM

A movie of the week, how quaint.

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2020 12:59 PM

At the time it was quite groundbreaking. Opening the door unfortunately for 15 years of hysterical fraus screaming "I was molested!" even when they werent and all of a suddewn EVERY single man was a child fucker ,even when they werent.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2020 2:50 PM

It's sick

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2020 2:55 PM

Hot movie!

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2020 3:18 PM

I remember how shocking and scandalous it seemed at the time for network TV. I was 10 when it came out. Watched it a few years ago on Youtube and it was interesting just to see Ted Danson playing such a creep. It felt incredibly dated (like all TV movies, I suppose). I didn't like the way they made it sound like poor old dad just needed some counseling and therapy and the family would be able to stay intact. As if an incestuous pedophile can be rehabilitated. I don't think so!

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2020 4:16 PM

This would make a great feel-good jukebox musical.

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2020 4:26 PM

Movie was creepy. Poor Amelia.

by Anonymousreply 12May 9, 2020 4:32 PM

"New and Improved All-Temperature Cheer truly did make my bedding Winter White!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 9, 2020 9:16 PM

Well-acted for an 80s TV movie, but insanely dated and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2020 5:18 AM

80s TV movies are a lot better than the crap that comes out on Hallmark.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2020 5:33 AM

That was depressing as hell.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2020 5:39 AM

R7, no. Any personal history that created that belief is boring and worthless and you know it.

One of the shittiest things you can experience as a teen is to hear someone who is being abused, report it to your folks, get some bullshit status report, have everyone grow silent, and then...nothing.

Find a coworker in tears because some asshole is telling he what he’d do to her pussy (office brokerage setting). Jump on his desk and swear him out and throw a fit because you should. Nothing happens.

Fuck you, R7.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2020 5:49 AM

As a 10 year old gayling, I remember being extremely jealous of Amelia.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2020 6:00 AM

I have always remembered Ted Dansen putting a new carton of cigarettes on top of the refrigerator. As a 21 year old I thought that was so clever to paint him as bad early on by showing that he was a smoker.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2020 6:57 AM

The movie ruined the name Amelia for me.

I hate the ending. Like counseling is going to fix a man who had sex with his daughter, and she's supposed to live with him like it's all good now?

Why the fuck try to paint a happy ending for the dad?

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2020 7:06 AM

It was Escandalo at my Middle School, iirc there was an assembly about it so we could talk about speaking out if molested.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2020 10:34 AM

There was an episode of Hill Street Blues where cops are called for a domestic disturbance. The wife attacked her husband because she caught him fucking their daughter. The cops tell them it's not worth breaking up a family over this. Their advice to the daughter is stop wearing skimpy clothes. People had bizarre attitudes towards sex back then.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2020 10:56 AM

Amelia was a dirty little hussy!

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2020 11:52 AM

R6=triggered frau

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2020 12:09 PM

It should be remade as "Something About Ivanka"

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2020 1:22 PM

I remember this but didn't want to watch Sam Malone molesting his kid.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2020 1:55 PM

I remember them saying Roxanna Zal was going to be the next "big thing".

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2020 1:58 PM

Roxana dated Rodney Harvey

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2020 2:07 PM

One of the weaker installments in the TABOO film series.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2020 2:22 PM

R20 A movie with that ending wouldn't be made today.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2020 2:44 PM

at 1:08 the movie is wrong. He is a pedophile. Did we not know that in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2020 3:00 PM

It's hilarious how poor G lost at the Emmys for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2020 3:11 PM

They need to do a remake of this and have him end up locked up in prison with the other short-eyes and get out divorced and with his name on the sex-offenders list unable to get a job.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2020 3:15 PM

This was around the time when films like Pretty Baby and The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane showed pre-pubescent girls having sex. Playboy had a publication called Sugar 'N' Spice which featured nude pics of little girls including 10 year old Brooke Shields. I was a kid at the time but I would read my Mom's People magazines. I would see photos in there of Roman Polanski and Nastassja Kinski who were a couple.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2020 4:34 PM

This movie received major publicity the week it aired. It was heavily promoted and on the cover of Parade and all the local TV Guide editions.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2020 4:48 PM

Fallen Angel was another creepy as fuck TV movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2020 4:52 PM

What exactly does the title refer to? Some piece of dialog?

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2020 4:58 PM

This aired during my prime TV-watching years as a kid and I think, maybe, I remember the cover of the TV Guide, but otherwise have absolutely no memory of this at all. Not even of all the Emmy nominations!

I was probably watching "Goodnight Beantown" or "Alice" instead.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2020 5:11 PM

This movie is not in any way an indication of how shit like this actually ends.

This is more accurate:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2020 5:23 PM

You have credit to Danson for taking on this role. It could have been a career killer.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2020 5:24 PM

R36 Awww that's Audrey Griswald from European Vacation.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2020 6:23 PM

In Fallen Angel you can watch her seduce Richard "Hold me , David" Masur.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2020 6:25 PM

I recognize him from the episode of All in the Family where he played the retarded grocery clerk.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] Fallen Angel was another creepy as fuck TV movie.

I saw that as a kid some Saturday afternoon and it was fucked up. It’s kind of amazing that something like that— a little girl coerced into kiddie pron including scenes of the mom’s boyfriend shooting the photos— could just be your average TV movie of the week.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2020 6:34 PM

Wasn't there some TV movie in the 70s where Linda Blair played a teen who got sent to a juvenille detention center and got raped?

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2020 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!