Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shirley Booth beats both Joan and Bette in the 1953 Oscars

What a brilliant speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2020 1:54 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 9:30 PM

Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 9:38 PM

Dear Shirley! Did someone help her sew that charming little dress?

Probably for the best, not to even attempt at "glamour." I mean, given the ampleness of her figure.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 9:40 PM

She was the overwhelming favorite that year I think she won ever pre Oscar award and the tony for it. Sudden fear was one of joans better performances. Shirley made a mint from starring in hazel and was able to have a comfortable retirement.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 9:47 PM

Why no screen shots of the other old trouts?

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 9:47 PM

None of the other trouts showed up, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 9:50 PM

I love the way she trips, gets down to one knee and gets back up to give that wonderful speech. Generally conceded as one of the top 5 best actress wins and I would agree. Danny Thomas in the audience gives her a lone standing o.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 10:06 PM

Alas, she only had that one character she played over and over and ov

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 10:10 PM

Other than Julie Harris (who then was quite young), none of the names really had a top notch performance. Hayward was at her most typical with a woman in jeopardy. Booth really knew how to bring heart to a role and although she could never be a glamorous Hollywood leading lady, she could do everything else.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 10:20 PM

Love Shirley. I named my dog Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 11:46 PM

I watched the entire Hazel series on one of the substations, maybe Antenna, and although I enjoyed it, once was enough.

That being said, I still love Shirley Booth and now I’m gonna go check out Come Back, Little Sheba.

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 8:41 AM

I loved it when she held up the Oscar and said "Gee Mr Bee, Missy, Sport, isn't it a doozey?"

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 8:46 AM

I'm not a big Joan Crawford fan but she easily gave the best female performance that year in "Sudden Fear". It was probably the last great performance she ever gave, before she turned into a total caricature of herself.

Someone above said it was Harris but I thought she was totally miscast in that film - I didn't buy her as a 12-year old for a second. She looked more like a deranged adult suffering from infantilism rather than an actual kid to me. But she did have some nice onscreen chemistry with Ethel Waters and Brandon de Wilde, gotta give her that.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 11:38 AM

I watched Sudden Fear last night. It is a damned good movie. Joan was great.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2020 12:20 PM

She was amazing in Come Back, Little Sheba, acting circles around Burt Lancaster. But I guess we have to acknowledge that he tried and didn't mind being upstaged by an old frum.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2020 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!