Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christopher Nolan's $200 milllion new science-fiction epic "Tenet"

For movie theaters shuttered by coronavirus, it’s become something of a mantra: “Just wait until ‘Tenet.'”

The science-fiction epic, shrouded in secrecy, isn’t just hotly anticipated because it’s the latest film from Christopher Nolan, the preeminent practitioner of a certain kind of blockbuster entertainment that is popular with critics and general audiences alike. There’s certainly the hope that “Tenet,” like “Inception,” “The Dark Knight,” and “Dunkirk” before it, will prove to be a box office smash when it debuts on July 17.

But in this case, “Tenet” is more than a movie. It’s the spark that cinemas are counting on to ignite a moviegoing revival in the U.S. and beyond. Nearly every blockbuster set to debut this year has shifted after the coronavirus pandemic prompted cinemas nationwide to close. While tentpoles like Universal’s “Fast and Furious” installment “F9” and Disney’s “The Eternals” were pushed into 2021, “Tenet” has been one of the few films to hold steady on the release calendar. When movie theaters do reopen, Nolan wants his big-budget espionage thriller to be the first to greet moviegoers on the big screen.

“Chris really would like to be coming out with the film that opens theaters,” Imax CEO Richard Gelfond said on a recent earnings call. “I don’t know anyone in America who is pushing harder to get the theaters re-opened and to get his movie released than Chris Nolan.”

And that’s certainly the message that Nolan has relayed to the exhibition community. He has pledged to finish the film’s extensive post-production and visual effects work in the coming weeks and is fully committed to delivering the picture in time for its mid-July release date, despite the fact that social distancing has left many crew members fine-tuning things remotely.

Nolan, who penned an op-ed in The Washington Post arguing that movie theaters represent “a vital part of social life” and must be preserved, has assured exhibitors that he will do anything he can to help get them back on their feet. Plans are still being worked out, but theaters are hoping to mount an advertising campaign utilizing A-list filmmakers urging the public to return to multiplexes. Nolan could be one of the people featured in those spots and materials.

However, some insiders still think that a July release is overly optimistic, pointing to the fact that coronavirus cases are still rising in many parts of the country. There’s also fears that the decision to loosen social distancing restrictions in states such as Georgia and Texas and reopen certain businesses will fuel new waves of infections, setting back plans for a nationwide return to cinemas. For now, most movie theater chains don’t expect to reopen before June. AMC and Cinemark, two the world’s largest circuits, suggest July sounds more realistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2020 1:28 AM

I like John David Washington but this movie really would have benefitted from a big star, like his father.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2020 5:28 PM

It's imperative that the dialogue we can't ever quite hear in Nolan's films is delivered over a state-of-the-art sound system.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2020 5:36 PM

Is Miss Cillian Murphy in this?

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2020 5:39 PM

Movie theaters will not be "revived" this year. They will sputter on if they are open 1/3 capacity which will be "full house"

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2020 5:46 PM

Cough..he isn't that good..

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2020 5:50 PM

What’s the movie about?

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2020 6:32 PM

Here's a trailer that makes no sense and is supposed to make you want to see the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2020 6:40 PM

Movie theaters are over. We are just waiting for the funeral announcement date.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2020 6:59 PM

I've read that it could be a sequel to Inception.

Will Chris Nolan take his four kids and elderly mother to the theaters before there is a vaccine? I'm sure this family can view all current releases in a state-of-the-art home theater.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2020 7:50 PM

I'm a Nolan fan, and happy to see another story from him that plays with notions of linear time. Still, what an unfortunate time for anyone to release a $200M entertainment attempt. Nolan's fictions can be unsettling and mysterious, but we're already living an unsettling mystery in real life, 24/7. And, I don't know if I'd be ready to go to a theater in July, or any other month in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2020 7:54 PM

Thanks R7, it looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2020 8:16 PM

For "Inception", he ripped off "Last Year In Marienbad". What classic movie does this shamelessly pilfer from?

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2020 8:23 PM

He's the favorite "intellectual auteur" of the middlebrow dudes. Nolan gives them feelz and makes them feel "sophisticated."

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2020 8:25 PM

Inshpeshion.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2020 8:25 PM

I find it eerie that the title is the same backwards as forwards.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2020 9:33 PM

It could end up being constructed like Richard Lester’s brilliant “Petulia,” wherein the action seems to go back and forth, with flashbacks and flash forwards.

by Anonymousreply 16May 8, 2020 1:09 AM

I hope it looks good on my 60 inch television, because that’s the only way I’ll be seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 8, 2020 1:13 AM

I hope they have streaming version ready to upload to iTunes, because that’s the only way it’s coming out in July.

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2020 1:16 AM

Christopher Nolan's films are like most of Tim Burton's - they look great and the ideas are there, but I find I am never really satisfied after finishing them.

I find him slightly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2020 1:19 AM

[quote]I hope they have streaming version ready to upload to iTunes, because that’s the only way it’s coming out in July.

Not that Nolan has more power than the studio, but he is adamant about the theatrical experience. They should push it to December either a week before or after Dune.

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2020 1:21 AM

Lame cast. No interest.

by Anonymousreply 21May 8, 2020 1:34 AM

Going to the movies was a shit experience before knowing you could pick up a pandemic level virus. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2020 1:47 AM

I get that he’s been working on this movie for years and is very invested in it, but it’s obnoxious how strident he’s being about how his precious movie should only be experienced in the theater. That was an acceptable take six months ago. But no ones life is worth risking to see whatever pretentious turd he popped out in its intended form.

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2020 1:53 AM

I hope he'll be handing out vaccines at every showing.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote]I find it eerie that the title is the same backwards as forwards.

Don't google palindrome.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2020 1:55 AM

Don’t you mean Emordnilap, R25?

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2020 1:57 AM

Honey, if Scorsese's movie can be on Netflix so can yours.

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2020 1:58 AM

Honestly, you can find a decent projector for affordable prices. I bought one last year and love watching movies at home. It's not IMAX but the visuals are still very impressive.

I don't miss dealing with rude people on their phones for most of the movie, talking throughout and having people behind me kick my chair because there's not enough room. Then paying ridiculous prices for the tickets, popcorn, drinks, etc. Sitting through 20 minutes of commercials. The moviegoing experience had become almost so unenjoyable.

Nolan an other directors are going to have to face the fact that this may be the New Normal for watching movies.

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2020 1:58 AM

I don’t think that this is the movie that people will risk their lives to see. Avengers or Star Wars but not this.

Me, I’m not willing to die for Meryl and only for Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]Honey, if Scorsese's movie can be on Netflix so can yours.

That's what I'M saying! Nolan's got Trump brain though. Happens with all powerful males. The world, for a while, does bend to their whim, but COVID won't, so they don't know what to do.

Nolan thinks desire to watch his fucking movies is higher than our desire to live, which may actually be right, so we'll see what happens.

People died going to The Dark Knight Rises, so I don't think he needs that heat surrounding his films again.

by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2020 3:09 AM

Jesus Christ, people are STILL dying, still self-isolating, still worried about how to pay their rent and buy food, and this narcissistic egotist is concerned about getting people into cinemas to justify his budget and "vision".

Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2020 3:17 AM

I haven't seen it yet but already know that it's mediocre. Is that what the movie is about?

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2020 3:45 AM

His movies always have lots of cars flipping over. Always.

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2020 4:06 AM

Yes, let's open cinemas to make Nolan's fanboys happy.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2020 4:52 AM

Is the Dune remake generating good buzz?

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2020 5:04 AM

You’re right, R30. He more than anybody should have some humility after that. Sounds like he’s John Landis II.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2020 5:21 AM

I like Denzil jr but it bugs every man MUST have a beard. When I look at him he doesnt have a classic handsome face like his father and hides his weak chin with a beard.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2020 5:39 AM

I couldn't even get half way through the trailer. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2020 5:45 AM

Theaters will not open until people are comfortable enough to gather in groups without wearing a mask. Why? Movie theaters make their money with the concession stands. If you have to wear a mask for your own protection you won't buy the overpriced junk food.

Good luck Christopher Nolan getting your movie out this summer and it being a mega blockbuster hit topping previous years and previous Nolan releases.

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2020 5:58 AM

r37 Weak chin confirmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2020 6:00 AM

I'll wait for streaming which we be sooner than Nolan thinks because very few people will go to the cinema in the current environment and the studio will want to make as much money as they can as quickly as they can - streaming.

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2020 6:01 AM

I'm not falling for this bullshit again. I didn't suffer through Interstellar in vain.

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2020 6:04 AM

For you, R42

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2020 6:36 AM

Nolan just like Indiana Republican governor (where I work) who think everything will be back to normal July 4 and it makes me hate him.

If anyone will save cinema it will be James Cameron and Avatar 2. Yeah yeah I know it's cool to hate that film but the first one blew my mind.

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2020 6:40 AM

Well considering it seems Avatar 2 will not be finished for another few years, Cameron may be the one to bring back cinema.

And, I agree, this has totally turned me off Nolan.

This pandemic is really showing the tone deaf asses in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 45May 8, 2020 6:53 AM

I have never been watch Intersellar and I'm usually a big fan of Nolan.

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2020 6:57 AM

[Quote] Weak chin confirmed.

I think he's hotter than Denzel.

[Quote] If anyone will save cinema it will be James Cameron and Avatar 2. Yeah yeah I know it's cool to hate that film but the first one blew my mind.

I think he waited too long. I don't hate Avatar but (special effects aside), the story wasn't great.

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2020 10:43 AM

Nolan made a movie about dreams ("Inception") that was completely devoid of the feeling and intrigue of a dream.

For that, see David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive."

Nolan is an overrated clinician,

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2020 10:53 AM

Is the new Top Gun is coming out in December? I'd expect that to get more bums in seats than a Nolan movie.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2020 1:49 PM

I was disappointed the Top Gun sequel wasn’t coming out in the summer depriving us a good laugh. Can you imagine the fall from garage Tammy will have if it’s released on Home Video?

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2020 6:32 PM

I'm am SO SO SICK of all trailers starting with that "whump whump whump THROMMMMM" sound. It's the "BUT NOW..." voiceover of 2015 - ??

by Anonymousreply 51May 8, 2020 6:44 PM

Tom Cruise and Madonna are such sad arrested development cases, fighting the natural beauty of the aging process with every narcissistic grain in their soulless bodies.

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2020 8:52 PM

Fall from grace obviously.

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2020 10:10 PM

I liked Momento

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2020 11:43 PM

If it’s from Nolan it has to be good.

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2020 11:51 PM

The movie looks interesting. Just think, it will be playing on 24 screens. CRAZY.

BTW, "Tenet" is spelled the same forward or backward. What a title!

by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2020 11:52 PM

Is it going to be 3D imax? I don’t think Nolan has done 3D before.

by Anonymousreply 57May 9, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] BTW, "Tenet" is spelled the same forward or backward. What a title!

R56, are you also R15?

by Anonymousreply 58May 9, 2020 12:55 AM

Maybe Drive-Ins will resurge.

by Anonymousreply 59May 9, 2020 2:27 AM

r13, I'm so sick of you fkin cynical marys. You remind me of some pretenious little, recent college grads my sister brought over to my house last now. I threw them all out, they were such cunts.

by Anonymousreply 60May 9, 2020 3:17 AM

[QUOTE] Maybe Drive-Ins will resurge

Who would want to sit in a car watching movies when they can do it at home? What’s the point?

by Anonymousreply 61May 9, 2020 1:26 PM

Yikes at R60

by Anonymousreply 62May 9, 2020 1:55 PM

Well, the poster whose sole contribution to any Christopher Nolan thread on DL is to express contempt at this non-auteur and his "middlebrow fanboys" IS a bit tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 63May 9, 2020 2:09 PM

Even Chris Nolan’s gigantic, overinflated, unmerited ego can’t stop the Rona.

by Anonymousreply 64May 9, 2020 2:19 PM

R61, people have non-stop complained about not being able to go out, including to movies. Drive ins allow social distancing- drive in movies, churches and restaurants. Car hops on skates with masks!

by Anonymousreply 65May 9, 2020 4:08 PM

The problem with drive-ins is that they’re limited to one showing per day and they’re often at discount rates, like 20 dollars per car, which can have up to five people. It’s basically the same as digital streaming, except there’s less opportunities to watch and the added expense of theatrical distribution.

by Anonymousreply 66May 9, 2020 4:32 PM

R62, because people like r13 are insufferable. They think they are so interesting and more intellectual than evetyone because of their obscure tastes and interests, and they look down on any mass commercial stuff, no matter how substantial or provacative it might be. Its so sickening. I had to put them out, including a guy I was interested in. Fuck you joyless cunts. Us regular guys like what we like.

by Anonymousreply 67May 9, 2020 5:31 PM

Fortunately, that type is a very easy target for ridcule, R67. A little too easy, probably.

by Anonymousreply 68May 9, 2020 5:36 PM

I saw the trailer in the dome at Arclight and while I can't tell you what the movie is about, I can tell that the music combined with the sound system was almost daring me not to see the movie. It was pretty intense.

by Anonymousreply 69May 9, 2020 5:46 PM

R67 thinks the Marvel movies are art. You’re dumb, dude. Admit it.

by Anonymousreply 70May 9, 2020 5:54 PM

70, Actually not really a fan of super hero flicks. But when any and everything is criticized simply because of its popular consumption-- that is a problem. It is pretentious and fkin joyless.

by Anonymousreply 71May 9, 2020 6:02 PM

Most people outgrow that kind of silly film snobbery by their mid-twenties. True (and intelligent) cinema lovers can find something of value in (or at least see the entertainment value of) a huge variety of movies and certainly never feel they need to defend their tastes.

R70: for someone who apparently thinks of himself as cultured, your "Admit it, you love Marvel!" insult is especially trite, even by DL standards.

by Anonymousreply 72May 9, 2020 6:13 PM

R67 Everyone at that house party sounds insufferable, including you.

by Anonymousreply 73May 9, 2020 6:15 PM

These are the same posters whose boilerplate reply when someone confesses to finding a Bela Tarr, Dreyer, or Tarkovsky film confusing or less than scintillating is: "Transformers 5 is probably more your speed. Move it along, toots!"

by Anonymousreply 74May 9, 2020 6:38 PM

Interstellar was as deep as a puddle. Badly acted horse shit.

by Anonymousreply 75May 9, 2020 9:21 PM

Warner getting cold feet, since the movie needs to make a gigantic sum of money

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2020 5:50 PM

Ha r33, I saw an early trailer in the movie theatres a thousand years ago, and thought it was a slickly produced car commercial at first.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2020 6:09 PM

Meh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote] provacative

Some of us are literate. Keep working on that GED and you'll outgrow Nolan's movies, too.

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2020 1:03 AM

Enjoy Netflix, Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2020 3:20 PM

Moved again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 26, 2020 1:59 AM

LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2020 3:14 PM

The trailer makes no sense--I'm so sick of Time Games, bullets shooting back into guns, etc....and the hero has zero screen presence. None. Robert Pattinson might be fun, but....forget it.

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2020 3:25 PM

No shit r82. It is a pipedream that we will have the big return of movie theaters next month.

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]Nolan made a movie about dreams ("Inception") that was completely devoid of the feeling and intrigue of a dream.

Agree R48. If Nolan actually has dreams that are like an endless string of bad Hollywood action movie clichés set to an obnoxiously loud, monotonous soundtrack, that's just sad.

And his Batman films were such a drag. Honestly preferred the Schumacher campfests.

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2020 3:52 PM

I’m starting to resent how Nolan’s fanatical desire for a summer 2020 theatrical release is becoming an issue.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2020 7:30 PM

r85, Because they weren't regular fkin sleeping. You marys are so fkin bitchy. Accept the premise of the film; it is sci fi and exploring themes deeper than your fkin fairy tale dreams.

by Anonymousreply 87July 14, 2020 5:14 PM

Lol R87

by Anonymousreply 88July 18, 2020 5:17 PM

Delayed again. This time they aren't pretending with a date, it is just delayed "indefinitely"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 20, 2020 8:47 PM

This is NOT the movie that will get people back into movie theaters...

by Anonymousreply 90July 20, 2020 8:53 PM

Nolan thinks he is more clever than he really is, his movies are unsatisfying because they go nowhere snd make uou feel nothing.

Although something was familiar in this movie.. i realized it was cedric diggory and fleur dela cour

by Anonymousreply 91July 20, 2020 9:26 PM

I've seen all of Nolan's films and like several of them quite a bit. But I have to admit that while they are all cool movies and exciting experiences, none of them have any emotional impact. And none of them have any humor or lightness to them. But maybe that's okay.

by Anonymousreply 92July 20, 2020 9:36 PM

I enjoy most Nolan movies except Interstellar. He got way too self-indulgent on that one, it has all the worst Nolan instincts.

by Anonymousreply 93July 20, 2020 10:09 PM

R91, Interesting. His box office receipts prove otherwise. But keep spouting your opinion as fact.

by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2020 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!