Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Do We Know About James Olson?

This semi-obscure, blond (but balding) actor was in a lot of TV shows in the late '60s and '70s, and he had starring roles in the films Rachel, Rachel and The Andromeda Strain. Probably his last really good role was as Father in Ragtime (1981).

I find him weirdly hot despite a not-gorgeous face and receding hairline. He had a fantastic body, especially for the times: tall, lean but with great muscle tone. And his voice was strangely hypnotic.

I'm asking about him because there is ZERO info about him online. Date of birth, college he attended, professional credits which end abruptly in 1990 (when he was only 60). That is IT. Nothing about family, relationships, or what the hell happened in 1990 to make him suddenly stop working.

Was he family? Could he have died with nobody knowing? Did he return to his home planet? Anybody have ANYthing on this enigma?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2020 12:50 AM

Ah, yes...I remember him. I used to think he was sexy.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2020 2:19 PM

He went to Northwestern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2020 2:29 PM

Yes, I know. That's mentioned in the original post. But what else? How can a formerly public figure have so little info available? Did he have family, relationships, where did he live, why did he suddenly stop acting while relatively young?

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2020 2:32 PM

Unrelated to Mary-Kate and Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2020 2:40 PM

Superman's Pal?

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2020 2:54 PM

Travalanche asked the same question in 2017.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2020 3:00 PM

This site gives his birthdate as 8 October 1930.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2020 3:01 PM

I like that site at R6. He seems like a DLer, or DL-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2020 3:16 PM

He's sexy for a scrawny, bald, gaunt, moon-faced man of a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2020 3:18 PM

Exactly, R9. You get it!

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2020 3:23 PM

The brief glimpse of his hairy body in The Andromeda Strain meant a lot to 15-year-old me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2020 4:02 PM

I'm trying to find a clip where he is speaking...I remember him having a good speaking voice, like James Rebhorn or Jeff Goldblum.

But maybe I've got the wrong guy?

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] How can a formerly public figure have so little info available? Did he have family, relationships, where did he live, why did he suddenly stop acting while relatively young?

That's the beauty of life before the internet and we got all inside everyone's business. Good for James! Please remain a mystery. But I'm sure some asswipe will create a biography out of thin air...

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2020 4:11 PM

I thought I was the only one who found him sexy. I used to watch The Andromeda Strain when it ran on television just to catch those nearly nude glimpses.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2020 4:19 PM

Having had a crush on him myself, I just googled "What happened to James Olson." The only clue I found was a 2007 Google Groups (I remember when it was Usenet!) post by the actor Jim Beaver, who said that he vaguely recalled being told that Olson had retired because of a chronic illness.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2020 4:21 PM

R15 How sad. He must have been without family but he might have had friends who are still around...

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2020 4:32 PM

He's dead, Jim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2020 4:35 PM

Oh, no, R17. I hope that wasn't him...but probably was. Dammit, he was too hot to die before 70.

R12 Yes, he had a wonderful, mellifluous speaking voice. Soft-spoken but intense, somewhat like Goldblum.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2020 4:42 PM

Oh, my! Hot, r11

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2020 7:29 PM

I think he's still alive and acting because I just saw his Little House episode yesterday!

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2020 11:15 PM

He looked healthy and robust in a recently aired episode of Wonder Woman too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 9, 2020 12:43 AM

He had a supporting role not a starring role in Rachel, Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2020 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!