Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Idiot In South Carolina Wanted To Get Close To An Alligator

Now she's dead. Go figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2021 8:56 AM

She moved to a gatored community.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2020 2:07 AM

It's terrible an innocent alligator had to die because of a stupid human. Sounds like she was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2020 2:07 AM

Poor alligator. It’s last meal was that dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2020 2:10 AM

It sounds like they took its meal away before he could even eat it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2020 2:10 AM

I’m sorry OP, was there a point or purpose to your posting of this non-story? Was there? I mean, can you at least just give us an honest answer for once in your life? Can you? Is it really that hard? Can you just try for once in your life? So what's it going to be OP? What's your point for posting this? There really is nothing cute about this.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2020 2:14 AM

Oh please OP I can top that.

Idiots from several states say pandemic is a hoax, then strangely die of a virus.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2020 2:18 AM

I wouldn’t mind a nice alligator bag.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2020 2:21 AM

Mental illness and/or Suicide.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2020 2:38 AM

Now she's as close as she could possibly be!

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2020 2:41 AM

Suicide by alligator

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2020 2:49 AM

Being that it happened on Kiawah Island, and the woman in question lived on Johns Island, I suspect the she wasn't from the area originally. Those of us from here, wouldn't do that. Even most South Carolina rednecks would have to get liquored up before going near a gator. There are a few animals natives are taught to always give a wide berth, alligators are one.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2020 2:55 AM

A friend of mine who lives in the area told me about this incident before it made the news. He said the woman traveled to Kiawah Island to give someone a manicure. She ended up drinking too much wine and decided she wanted to "pet" the alligator.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2020 3:05 AM

Looks like I just lost another voter. Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2020 3:14 AM

Hate to break it to you all, but human stupidity isn't always to blame. A similar attack happened 2 weeks ago on another island in the area. If you don't think alligators are batshit insane, watch the video all the way to the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2020 3:30 AM

A gator isn't going to be too bad on land, but to go near one while it is at the water! They hunt in the water.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2020 3:56 AM

A gator doing a death roll is a scary thing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2020 11:03 AM

How did she die? Was it the Corona?

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2020 11:11 AM

Close to you...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2020 11:30 AM

[quote] and didn’t scream as it attacked her and dragged her into the water

I'm honestly kind of impressed at this psychotic bitches level of self control.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2020 11:37 AM

R14 why didn't they just shoot that gator? Put it in a nearby lagoon! It's not endangered. Shoot it and eat it!

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2020 12:20 PM

R14, a fascinating clip. It was funny to watch when they dragged him to the lagoon and he just slid passively down the path.

I used to work in the Steinhart Aquarium in SF (gift shop, not fish tender) and there was an alligator swamp that had been there for decades (still is but remodeled). I'd get there early and you could hear them roar. Sometimes one would be injured from an overnight fight. When I finally got to Florida and walked through a public part of the Everglades we passed an alligator nest right next to the trail. You're told to keep a distance (30 feet) but I wasn't getting anywhere near any alligator. I don't think you need to be from Florida to be really afraid of them. I was surprised to see kids swimming in lagoons also inhabited by gators. We saw it with our own eyes on a boat ride. Kids swimming and 150 feet away or so an alligator.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2020 7:53 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] It’s last meal was that dumb cunt.

Irony.

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2020 5:45 PM

Nobody told us gators bite.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2020 5:45 PM

What a horrible way to die. I guess she was drowned before she was eaten, at least.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2020 5:47 PM

R5 needs to get close to an alligator.

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2020 5:50 PM

She was a very stable genius.

by Anonymousreply 27May 9, 2020 12:09 AM

Can gators climb trees? I would be scrambling up a tree so fast.

by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2020 12:16 AM

I thought that the American (USA) alligator was not aggressive and did not eat humans. I learned this on tours of the southern swamp lands by those wildlife experts.

Even the gators are sick of these redneck, trump-worshiping, KKK a-holes.

by Anonymousreply 29May 9, 2020 12:16 AM

I knew a guy with an alligator. He was a meth head and a lunatic and would get fucked up and go down in the street with swords to instigate fights with random strangers. But he was always really nice to me. Most of the time, the gator lived in his tub. It wasn't fully grown, but keeping in a confined space was stunting its growth. He would put it in the freezer before guests came over to calm it down because the cold made it move so much more slowly. It turns out, some people are allergic to alligators and I saw a girl break out in hives all over her arms and chest after cuddling it. That girl worked at a bar that had midget strippers one night a week and she got to know one of them and could tell you all about the 87 different types of dwarfism. I've still never had a dwarf friend. The alligator guy owned a lot of property and went to jail and bought more property in Georgia and he's probably dead by now from one of those fights he'd provoke, but he really wasn't a bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 30May 9, 2020 12:18 AM

R28 They can climb fences - not sure about trees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 9, 2020 12:25 AM

[quote] I thought that the American (USA) alligator was not aggressive and did not eat humans.

I don;t know why you were told that. That's not true.

by Anonymousreply 32May 9, 2020 12:27 AM

R30 And that little girl is me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 9, 2020 12:28 AM

No, alligators can not climb trees. Generally if you stay away from them they'll stay from you. They are not the most agile of animals on solid ground. Fools who get too close and get attacked are perceived by the animal as a threat. Small animals that get too close to them are perceived as food.

by Anonymousreply 34May 9, 2020 12:29 AM

Someone I know in NE GA just pointed out to me, about 2 weeks ago, that someone out in the country here has a +5 foot long gator out in a pond beside their house. I've seen photos of it and it's for real. It must have survived the last couple of winters. Everyone is wondering, is it legal for it to be here? Has this area become warm enough so that they will move up this way? It's very creepy that someone would have it as a "pet". The gator is becoming a local celebrity, people driving out to the area to look at it...

by Anonymousreply 35May 9, 2020 12:30 AM

So are we to assume that we’ve reached the point in the pandemic when the animals start fighting back and killing us to take over world domination?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 9, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote] Everyone is wondering, is it legal for it to be here?

No, it’s not. Call the GatorLand Police. They’ll come and arrest it. Or at least issue it a stern warning. Maybe that’ll make it leave.

by Anonymousreply 37May 9, 2020 12:32 AM

r30 sounds like To Kill a Mockingbird, 21st century meth version.

by Anonymousreply 38May 9, 2020 12:36 AM

R37: periodically big ones are found in Atlanta, in the Chattahootchee River, and if the fish and game people can catch them, they are certainly "relocated" (to the cemetery, is my guess). If it is borderline warm enough for them to survive through the winter in this climate, we sure don't want to encourage people to turn them loose. One by itself in a pond might be cute, and safe enough, but nobody wants an infestation of younguns scurrying off to parts unknown...

by Anonymousreply 39May 9, 2020 12:39 AM

Yes R35 in Georgia it is illegal to keep an alligator as a pet. Anyone in the area with a dog or cat that is not kept on a leash or inside had better figure out a way to keep it away from that pond because eventually that gator is going to start snatching them.

Frankly, someone needs to call the Ga. Dept. of Natural Resources and report the animal and they'll send someone out to capture it and move it to a proper location in south Ga.

by Anonymousreply 40May 9, 2020 12:46 AM

BURP!!!

by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2020 12:49 AM

BURP!!!

by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2020 12:49 AM

I wonder if when gators snatch a cat or dog if they think “damn, this fish is fucking hairy. Wtf?”

These are the things I think about in quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2020 12:50 AM

R40, yes a "proper location", i.e. the cemetery. I'm an attorney and I wonder if it really is illegal to have such an animal as a pet. This is Jefferson Co., GA. and while it is an up and coming northern "suburb" of Atlanta, it is also *really* rural and redneck. So I wonder what the law is? Probably illegal to have an inherently dangerous pet. This gator is not behind a fence, it could wander off anywhere it wants to go, anytime. I've asked some local district attorneys, nobody knows offhand. But I don't want it to propagate itself, although I don't see how it could happen if it's all by itself. It's a quandary.

by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2020 12:51 AM

Why are we ascribing sinister actions of “snatching” of a creature to make a meal out of to the alligator, what they are doing is completely natural and part of the basic food chain. If people are to stupid to keep their pets unattended then I say it’s open season for the gators.

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote]If people are to stupid

I live for irony.

by Anonymousreply 46May 9, 2020 12:56 AM

R45, have you ever seen a gator eat? Seriously.

We’re using the term ‘snatching’ because that's what they do with prey. They snatch it like a bolt of lightning. Watch some NatGeo vids. It’s pretty scary actually.

by Anonymousreply 47May 9, 2020 12:58 AM

R40

[quote] Prohibited Reptiles: Forget keeping any type of crocodile species as a Georgian pet. That includes alligators, caimans and crocodiles. Any type of non-native venomous snake is prohibited as a pet, such as vipers or adders, but so are native non-venomous snakes. Gila monsters, giant toads and gopher tortoises are just some of the species illegal to keep domestically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 9, 2020 12:59 AM

Those must be some of the stupidest DAs on the planet you're talking to R40 if they can't do a simple Google search to find out what type of animals are illegal in their own state. Any fool can check the Ga. Dept. Of Natural Resources to find out this info.

And the post at R48 was meant for R44.

by Anonymousreply 49May 9, 2020 1:01 AM

R45: alligators were plentiful in Florida until human use of DDT in the 50's and 60's nearly wiped them out. For most of our lives, you could have swum anywhere in any lake in Florida, except in the Everglades, and not had to think twice about the slightest chance of being eaten by an alligator. I'm in N. Ga., and gators were not present there at any time that I am aware of in the past several hundreds of years, too cold for them. The question is, do we have to welcome them, now that it appears the climate is warming and they can survive here, or should we try to prevent that? I'm in favor of staving it off as long as possible, personally, and it has nothing to do with any concern for people's pets.

by Anonymousreply 50May 9, 2020 1:02 AM

R48 Not, not the giant toads too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 9, 2020 1:03 AM

Point taken, R48. I guess I'm going to be "dropping a dime" on Mr. Baskin' Robbins out in that pond...I did not know it was so clear-cut. I'd like to see the homeowners, and hear their claims that they "had no idea" that alligator was out there in our pond!

by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote] Those must be some of the stupidest DAs on the planet you're talking to

To be fair, r49, he did say it was Georgia.

Ya know, the same folks who didn’t think the killing of a black jogger was a crime.

by Anonymousreply 53May 9, 2020 1:04 AM

Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you.

by Anonymousreply 54May 9, 2020 1:05 AM

So I suppose it would be in poor taste to wear my alligator pumps and matching handbag to her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 55May 9, 2020 1:07 AM

The pumps, yes, the handbag is a big no-no for funerals.

C’mon, aren’t you up on the latest attire trends?

by Anonymousreply 56May 9, 2020 1:09 AM

R30 Your post made me laugh until I cried. I think I'm losing it.

by Anonymousreply 57May 9, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote] Ya know, the same folks who didn’t think the killing of a black jogger was a crime.

I'm from Georgia and there's a big difference between stupid and corrupt. That bitch DA in Brunswick is corrupt as fuck and hopefully will be recalled, if she's not arrested for malfeasance. Bar that I hope she'll get voted out if she's stupid enough to run for re-election. In this state the governor can remove a local elected official if he or she is indicted and the removal is recommended by a special commission.

by Anonymousreply 58May 9, 2020 1:30 AM

r30, you've got a Netflix blockbuster there. Copyright your story, quick.

by Anonymousreply 59May 9, 2020 1:33 AM

R30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 9, 2020 1:49 AM

And the DA's are not "stupid" - if the animal is not in a fence (not constrained from coming and going as it pleases), and if the "hosts" are not feeding it, is it a pet? Or is it a guest? Or just "wildlife", pure and simple? If you can't prove that the alligator did not show up there on its own, a prosecution or attempt to remove the animal might fail...the prosecutors are not interested, they have other things to worry about. It's Fish and Game I need to talk to.

by Anonymousreply 61May 9, 2020 1:57 AM

Pshaw... amateurs!

by Anonymousreply 62May 9, 2020 2:23 AM

When they're charging towards a target, they can run extremely fast, faster than a human. Once it gets you to the water, that's it.

In 2004, a landscaper on Sanibel Island was attacked by a 12-foot, 450 pound, alligator while she was working in a yard. It dragged her into a nearby pond. Bystanders heard her screams, and ran into the water to try to help. Neighbors held her head above the water while police killed the alligator to free her. In the hospital, part of her arm had to be amputated, and then she died of an infection.

by Anonymousreply 63May 9, 2020 4:22 AM

R30, you don't happen to know the Tiger King, too, do you? Anyway, it sounds like you have lovely friends. I'd come to one of your parties any time.

by Anonymousreply 64May 9, 2020 4:49 AM

I've been to several of the alligator parks in Florida. Always a good time. At one, Gatorland outside of Orlando, they dangle dead chickens from a pole over the lagoon and the big gators leap out and snag them.

At another near St. Augustine they had a very long winding boardwalk built over the alligator swamp. All along the boardwalk were small trees absolutely laden with exotic birds nests full of chicks. Herons and egrets etc. Apparently the alligators keep predators away and unless a chick falls in they're safe. You could literally get within a few feet of the chicks, just out of reach from humans. They weren't afraid of us, it was fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 9, 2020 4:56 AM

Here's a story about th St. Augustine bird walk. Gatorland has one, too, but I don't remember it as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 9, 2020 5:02 AM

[quote] 12-foot, 450 pound, alligator

Fatty.

He should go to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 67May 9, 2020 12:42 PM

I guess she decided not to social distance.

by Anonymousreply 68May 9, 2020 12:54 PM

After they dug her arms out of the alligator’s stomach, her nails still looked fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 69May 9, 2020 1:57 PM

R25, That's what gators and crocs do---drown and stow away their prey to eat later.

by Anonymousreply 70March 22, 2021 4:49 AM

Probably one of the NYC covid refugees who didn't know any better..

by Anonymousreply 71March 22, 2021 5:31 AM

In general, every body of water in the Southeast has a gator in it. Smaller bodies of water can't support really large gators, which need a plentiful supply of small game to support their growth, or at least that was the conventional wisdom. I often swam in small lakes (really glorified ponds) in north Florida when I lived there, but I had no desire to swim in the big lakes or rivers, and always kept far away from any sort of debris in the water that could disguise a gator - lily pads, floating branches and the like. I'm certain there were small gators in those lakes - less than 4 feet in length. It seemed unlikely they would try to catch and drown a human larger than them.

by Anonymousreply 72March 22, 2021 7:08 AM

R71, I’m from NYC and know not to get near an alligator. They’re frightening.

Some people like to think that they have special soothing vibes that can mesmerize and tame beasts. They think they can communicate with them, or something. Like those women who think they have magical vaginas that can turn a bad boy cheater into a faithful husband.

by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2021 8:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!