Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Terrible pet names

Where is the line drawn between whimsical and just fucking stupid when it comes to naming pets? Of course, most of us want unique names for our furry friends, and there's certainly nothing wrong with such old boring standards as Muffin, Bootsie, or Spot, although many pets have some pretty exotic names these days, such as Delilah, Oreo, and Quasar.

But there's a darker side to pet naming. I've met a pug named Wormy and a cat called Fester. These aren't nicknames that have been given to animals with regular names—these are their real names.

That said, most of us do have affectionate nicknames for our pets. Isis, my Siberian Husky (and she was named before the Middle Eastern…unpleasantness), is known around my house as Icy-juicy, Isitos, Isis-Catches-Mices, and Icicle.

Are there pet names that you simply couldn't believe—either proper names or nicknames? Please tell us.

by Anonymousreply 139July 31, 2020 4:59 AM

I once knew a dog named "Deohg" inflection on the "oh"

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2020 1:46 AM

[quote] But there's a darker side to pet naming.

That made me laugh. Thank you

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2020 1:47 AM

Lesbian, right?

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2020 1:53 AM

I know someone who named their cat "kitty" wonder how long it took them to think that name up. That is like naming your son, boy.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2020 1:54 AM

My sister had a dog named Sandy...but no one called him that for more than a minute. They called him Puppa. My grandfather had a dog named Puppy. It was his favourite dog!

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2020 1:58 AM

Being a proud gayling, when I was 12 I won a big fish tank in a raffle and my parents bought me four exotic fish. I was obsessed with Die Entführung aus dem Serail and decided to name them Konstanze, Belmonte, Blonde and Pedrillo.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2020 2:07 AM

X Æ A-12

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2020 2:18 AM

A co-worker named her new cat Baby Jesus. He was called B.J. for short.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2020 2:43 AM

R6–Are you Niles Crane? That would have been a terrific [italic]Frasier[/italic] flashback.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2020 2:48 AM

I've noticed lots of Tucker, Cooper, Sophie and Morgan as dog names by semi-eldergays. The same names straight people 20 years younger name their human offspring!

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2020 3:23 AM

Fester doesn't seem that odd. Maybe they named the cat after the Addams Family character.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2020 3:24 AM

Anytrhing with Mr or Miss is ridiculous. My neighbor’s cat is Miss Flossy wtf

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2020 3:26 AM

My much loved dog Keera has become Keeraboo, Peekaboo, Peekanese, Peeky, Galimimus, Golly-mimus, and just plain Mimus. And sometimes, just plain Miss Dog. She could give a shit and care less, God I love her!

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2020 3:35 AM

I am a veterinary technician. We really hate seeing multiple pets a day named Bella, Chloe, Max, Buddy, and Beau. These names are so common that some even share same owner last name.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2020 3:36 AM

R14: You forgot Luna. There are 3 Lunas (2 cats and a dog) on my block alone.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2020 3:47 AM

My friends dog is called David. I find that an odd name for a dog.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2020 5:05 AM

I hate boring typical pet names like Fluffy and Spot. An acquaintance’s children named their cats Susan, Michael and Scott. I thought that was rather charming. I also love pets with old fashioned stodgy names like Edith, Arthur, Agatha.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2020 6:57 AM

Gee thanks R4 You're a boner killer, my cat is actually named "Kitty" and my dog is "Boy". The full names are Kitty Kat and Boy Dog. I have a Snookie too.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2020 7:04 AM

A very Roman Catholic family I knew named their pony Dolores. I've never heard of any animal being named Dolores.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2020 4:46 PM

Six pins, Dolores! You know how I like it.

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2020 12:35 AM

r6, if your parents didn't know you were gay at that point, they were stone blind.

I've met a pitt named Kevin. That was weird. That reminds me of a time when I worked with a Ukrainian model and she said, "I don't know why Americans give their pets people names like Kevin or David. Now, "Udididslslttchk" (I don't know the language, obviously), that is a good name for a pet."

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2020 1:31 AM

Did they call you by their pets' names? If not, then shut up, control freak.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2020 4:25 AM

I think this new trend of calling pets after food, like Egg or Spaghetti, is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2020 6:00 AM

Adam Sandler had two bulldogs named Meatball and Matzo Ball. And them one of them died.

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2020 6:17 AM

I'll confess I gave my cat an odd name. I adopted him as a kitten but couldn't think of a name after several months. A friend suggested I name him "Don't Know" - probably tired of me talking about naming the cat. I took him up on his suggestion and gave him the name of Da'noh, because it sounded French. Once I made an appointment for him with the vet and the receptionist asked me the cat's name. When I said Da'noh she replied, "Don't you know his name?" Haha!

Da'noh is now almost 17 years old and couldn't imagine him having any other name.

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2020 6:20 AM

My neighbor has a dog named Steven.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2020 6:40 AM

Our pug is Sancho because of his pot belly. Most people don't get it, but that's okay.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2020 6:43 AM

I had a cat that used to have hairballs and throw up (I was constantly having to brush her put and give her hairball medicine, and it only worked sporadically), so I started calling her "Puke-ahontas." (Her original name was Sally.)

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2020 6:49 AM

I know a couple who have two cats named Bump and Grind.

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2020 6:55 AM

My cat is actually named Kitty. Her name is Kitty Carlisle.

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2020 6:58 AM

My cats have very boring names. I wish I had named the younger one "Mr. Bonkers".

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2020 7:03 AM

[quote]R16 My friends dog is called David. I find that an odd name for a dog.

I giggle when I think of pets being given mundane human names. It should happen more, just for the wackiness.

“And these are my Siamese, Harold and Ruth.”

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2020 7:08 AM

At the dog park, there was a 150 pound Mastiff called "Mouse".

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2020 7:13 AM

Stains for a dog. So that when you bring it to a dog park and you need to call it, "Come, Stains! Come, Stains!"

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2020 7:15 AM

"Kitty" is the #1 most common name for a cat in the US.

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2020 7:15 AM

Not Snowball?!

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2020 8:02 AM

A friend had a dog named Pervy Bob.

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2020 9:52 AM

We have six cats and a dog. The dog, Summer, belongs to my partner and pre-dates our relationship. If she survives till October, she'll be 14.

The oldest cat, Charlie, was named by me and also came here before my partner did. Lucy and Cinder, a bonded pair of SPCA sisters, 9 years old, were named by their previous owner. SPCA Peggy was named by my partner, in honor of Marvel's Peggy Carter. Dax was also named by him. I suspect that he has a sort of crush on Dax Shepard. He also named SPCA Molly, who was originally called Misty.

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2020 9:59 AM

My next-door neighbor's cat had a name I didn't understand --I heard it as Mister Kitty, Misty Kitty or Mystic Kitty. I finally asked the neighbor. It was Mister Kitty. "Yeah, pretty original," he said.

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2020 1:22 PM

My friends had a miniature pot-bellied pig named Kevin Bacon.

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2020 1:39 PM

I know a beautiful red-headed female cat named "Miss Kitty" after Matt Dillon's lady friend on "Gunsmoke".

by Anonymousreply 41May 7, 2020 7:33 PM

I had a friend who named his kitten "Kitty Shcherbatsky" after the character from "Anna Karenina."

by Anonymousreply 42May 7, 2020 9:15 PM

Have a friend who named their cat, "Shitty Kitty" because it had mad runs for a long time when she adopted it.

by Anonymousreply 43May 7, 2020 9:22 PM

A few months ago, I was in the waiting area of my vet's office. This vet office serves cats only. The receptionist had the task of calling customer's and reminding them of their upcoming appointment the falling day. Of course, no one answered their phones, she she ended up leaving voicemail after voicemail. I cracked up listening to all of the cat names. "I'm calling to remind you about Mr. Faversham Higginbottom's appointment tomorrow."

by Anonymousreply 44May 7, 2020 9:23 PM

r16 are we friends? that's the name my big guy came with but I pronounce it Dah-veed because my (at the time) boss's name was David and ixhated him so much that I was afraid my big guy would hear me bitching with hatred about boss and think my tone was directed at him.

my eskimo had a human name too (came that way) but we just called him sir fluffy bunny.

my girl was named after a famous yowly singer with big fluffy hair. just like my girl.

also, many dogs with people names got the names because they were in shelter as strays and have to have a name. so they give the name of one of the shelter staff.

by Anonymousreply 45May 7, 2020 9:26 PM

R4 I actually named my cat Kitty. I found him as a kitten near death on a sidewalk in Bucharest, Romania, and was going to give him a Romanian name, but all my friends were so enthralled by trying to pronounce the English word Kitty (which came out as Keeeetie), that I decided that was his name. It didn't bother him, so not sure why it would bother you.

by Anonymousreply 46May 7, 2020 9:38 PM

I have a Pekinese rescue dog named Peluchin, which is Spanish for essentially fur ball, in the sense of a stuffed animal. My friends call him Pelluchini Alfredo, or poopalini, and I call him Dogdog. And yes, I'm the one who named the cat Kitty.

by Anonymousreply 47May 7, 2020 9:42 PM

“Kitteh” is more of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2020 12:55 AM

Though they are now divorced Tinsley and Topper Mortimer win the couples match in annoying matching nicknames.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2020 1:00 AM

What does that have to do with pets, r49?

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2020 1:59 AM

Tinsley is her real name.

Topper is a ridiculous nickname.

by Anonymousreply 51May 8, 2020 2:14 AM

I had a one eyed cat named Uno, a three legged cat named Tre, another cat named Pbomb. My son has a bearded dragon named Pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2020 2:17 AM

I forgot to mention the cocker spaniel named Voodoo.

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2020 2:19 AM

A female boxer named Jihad

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2020 2:25 AM

I had a ferret named mouse

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2020 2:49 AM

Pussy Galore

by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2020 2:51 AM

R46, cats have their own names for themselves and each other. Probably for us too.

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2020 3:23 AM

Karen

by Anonymousreply 58May 8, 2020 3:56 AM

My colleague has a dog named Anastasia Peppercorn.

by Anonymousreply 59May 8, 2020 6:07 AM

My friend had a female Saint Bernard, and he named her "Mother". This big fat lazy dog, (though she was very sweet). "Mother, get out of the garbage"... "Mother, get over here now!". "Mother, stop that". "Mother, time to go to bed". When he'd come back from taking her for a walk, "Mother took a huge dump in front of the Sanders house"....

Like I said, it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 60May 8, 2020 6:34 AM

Someone I know has a cat named "Doggie". She swears that he plays fetch and lies around with his tongue hanging out, I haven't seen either.

by Anonymousreply 61May 8, 2020 6:46 AM

How do you pronounce Pbomb? Is it like Psmith?

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2020 3:40 PM

Covid

by Anonymousreply 63May 8, 2020 5:24 PM

It's pronounced pee-bomb after the mega boulders she left in the cat litter

by Anonymousreply 64May 8, 2020 6:07 PM

There's a fairly large street in Reno, NV, called Kietzke Lane (pronounced KITT-ski.) Any cat to whom I'm introduced becomes Kietzke. (Which I sometimes pronounce as KEET-ski.) If I ever get a cat, its name is going to be Kietzke.

by Anonymousreply 65May 8, 2020 9:12 PM

My bird is named after my former cat. The bird is his reincarnation.

by Anonymousreply 66May 8, 2020 9:21 PM

I’ve always wanted to have a cat and name it Linda. I don’t know why, it just feels right.

by Anonymousreply 67May 8, 2020 9:55 PM

My Chinese grandparents, no matter what animal they had, several dogs, cats and fish would name it, "Lucky", which in itself is not terrible, but I thought it was terrible that they had no imagination at all.

by Anonymousreply 68May 9, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote]but I thought it was terrible that they had no imagination at all.

At least they didn't call them "dinner".

by Anonymousreply 69May 9, 2020 12:54 AM

A friend had a sweet dog, very mixed. Very. Her name was Carol.

On paper, not the best choice. But in practice, it was really okay.

by Anonymousreply 70May 9, 2020 1:08 AM

I was in charge of naming groups of dogs for the rescue for a while. either litters of puppies or dogs that came in together from hoarding cases/ puppy mills/ stray friends.

we always do themes, some places do by alphabet ie the a puppies angel, alex, arrow etc.

not everyone could figure mine out every time. blanche, rose, Sophia, Dorothy.

raven, juju, manilla, alaska

sometimes a name is just someone amusing themselves.

by Anonymousreply 71May 9, 2020 1:21 AM

I had a cat named Chairman Meow.

by Anonymousreply 72May 9, 2020 1:41 AM

The next dog or cat I get I’m naming Tyrone. I like that name and I also like giving animals human names.

by Anonymousreply 73May 9, 2020 2:03 AM

[quote]I was in charge of naming groups of dogs for the rescue for a while. either litters of puppies or dogs that came in together from hoarding cases/ puppy mills/ stray friends.

A teenage neighbor girl volunteers at one of the area pet adoption centers. The center's dogs and cats are often featured as a public service by the local newspaper. I noticed that the pets always have completely uni spired names, such as Max, Lucy, Bella, Luna, Blackie, etc. I asked if I could name some of them and gave her a list of names I thought were more appealing, such as Orion, Ajax, Zephyr, Stingo, Elvira and Fargo.

Unfortunately, none of my choices was considered, and to this day the agency is still adopting dogs out that have been temporarily named Fluffy and Mittens. Oh, well. I can take rejection.

R71 — I REALLY like how you think!

by Anonymousreply 74May 9, 2020 2:10 AM

HA! I like the way YOU think r74, we had an Ajax, 2 zephyrs and a Fargo. kidding not.

by Anonymousreply 75May 9, 2020 2:15 AM

A veterinarian friend said that at her vet school, all animals referred to in classroom discussions were given the generic name of "Fluffy". If they were talking about dogs, it'd be "... now say that Fluffy comes in having eaten a bag of styrofoam peanuts...", of if they were talking about exotics they'd discuss Fluffy the llama of Fluffy the iguana.

It's the vet's equivalent of the "Patient X" of human case studies.

by Anonymousreply 76May 9, 2020 2:46 AM

My cretinous ex had a cat with a very distinct squiggly black spot on his nose. He thought this was hilarious and named the poor creature Booger became he thought the mark looked like a booger. The height of wit.

by Anonymousreply 77May 9, 2020 2:46 AM

My trashy former neighbors had a miniature poodle named By-Joe. When I asked them why, they said it was the French word for Jewel. I guess they'd never actually heard the word Bijoux pronounced.

by Anonymousreply 78May 10, 2020 2:48 PM

T. S. Elliot wrote that every cat should have three different names...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 10, 2020 2:54 PM

Our cat is Lacy, but we call her “poodles”, or “dumpling”, or “dumplins “

by Anonymousreply 80May 10, 2020 2:54 PM

Is it racist to name a black cat Tyrone?

by Anonymousreply 81May 13, 2020 9:18 PM

My sisters and I always laugh at my low-literacy next door neighbor who named his INSANELY expensive coonhound "Janice." Yes, "Janice." No wonder that dog escaped any time she could. Big dumb goofy dog that acted like a "Janice". So maybe it wasn't such a silly name?

He also had a gorgeous purebred pit bull, white with lovely clear blue-grey eyes. When she was a puppy, neighbor asked me to name her. Since her eyes were the exact color of Sinatra's, I named her "Frankie."

Idiot neighbor always called her "Frances." Ugh.

A former coworker's brother named his Rottweiler "Ebola."

by Anonymousreply 82May 13, 2020 9:33 PM

Thank you, r79. I’ve always insisted that my siblings give their children two middle names. I’m always been ignored, too, though my brother did once say that my niece’s second middle name is Pierre and I consider that to be the case.

My dogs tended to have multiple names. Goldbuck was usually called Bucky, Buckyboy, Buck, and so forth. He used to love to have his ears massaged. How many names can a dog understand? It’s almost like he could tell by the tone I used, if I was referring to him, and what I have in store for him.

by Anonymousreply 83May 13, 2020 9:42 PM

No pets of my own. Two sets of friend have had the best pet names.

Set #1: Two beagles named Java and Bagel.

Set#2: 3 cats. #1 Foster (I call him Dr. Foster), #2Cupcake and #3 Marty (Marty McFly. the husband is a huge Back to the Future fan)

by Anonymousreply 84May 13, 2020 9:50 PM

I wonder how many Fentons and Bentons there are, now? He link is a particularly good one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 13, 2020 9:56 PM

I knew a guy who named his Rotweiller Satan.

by Anonymousreply 86May 13, 2020 9:57 PM

There were a number of Khaleesis, both human and pets named, before the last season, when she turned into a villain. How could people name a child after a character like this, and not know that she was going to turn out bad?

by Anonymousreply 87May 13, 2020 10:00 PM

The dog's name was Chopper.

by Anonymousreply 88May 13, 2020 10:03 PM

They tracked down Benton’s owner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 13, 2020 10:11 PM

A friend of mine's father got a Doberman puppy for him when he was a young kid. Friend starts petting the dog, exclaiming, "Pretty!". Father, "Yes, son, what would you like to name the dog?"

"Pretty"..........At that point, the father should have known my friend was gay.

by Anonymousreply 90May 13, 2020 10:18 PM

“Oreo” isn’t exactly exotic. Many black and white cats are named Oreo.

by Anonymousreply 91May 13, 2020 10:20 PM

Is it more offensive to name a black cat Uncle Tom or Uncle Ben?

by Anonymousreply 92May 13, 2020 10:25 PM

I’ve named my German Shepherd/Husky mixes “Police” and “Fire”. Whenever I call them to come in from the backyard, there’s quite a commotion for some reason. They seem to enjoy the attention, so, all’s well that ends well.

by Anonymousreply 93May 13, 2020 10:25 PM

I have a cousin who named her black cat Mow Mow, as in a baby talk way to say “Meow”. I could not stop thinking about how it sounded too fucking close to Mau Mau, which is racist. I told her maybe she should change it.

by Anonymousreply 94May 13, 2020 10:30 PM

Marcia Gay Harden

by Anonymousreply 95May 13, 2020 10:31 PM

My mother was good friends with a woman named “Gay Callahan”. I think that was her official, married name. It made her sound like a nickname for a stereotypical, Gay, Irish, drunk.

by Anonymousreply 96May 13, 2020 10:42 PM

I have a turkey called Butterball.

by Anonymousreply 97May 13, 2020 11:38 PM

85 — What is that movie? I've got to see it!

by Anonymousreply 98May 14, 2020 12:19 AM

^^ Sorry, R85 ^^

by Anonymousreply 99May 14, 2020 12:20 AM

In England, rows of stables and coach houses with living quarters above are called mews. There's an area along the main street of Catford called the Catford Mews. I always thought that was kind of sweet.

by Anonymousreply 100May 14, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote]How could people name a child after a character like this, and not know that she was going to turn out bad?

Pierre/R87, I'd guess for the same reason one of my college mate's best friend's name was "Delicious." Yes, it was her real, given name.

I mean, you CANNOT name your child Delicious and expect her to be anything but a nasty ho'.

(Which she was)

by Anonymousreply 101May 14, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote]Reminds me of years ago when Judge Wapner was laying down the law to a litigant named Precious, who really WAS a young ho. He was so contemptuous of her and her bad attitude that you could fairly see the quote marks when he addressed her as "Precious."

by Anonymousreply 102May 14, 2020 1:02 AM

^^ Sorry — don't know how that wound up in quote form ^^

by Anonymousreply 103May 14, 2020 1:03 AM

I used to work with a young woman who called her dog Chien which is French … for dog.

My cat's name is Mouffette which is French for skunk. She has a white stripe down her back so the name is fitting. I call her Mouff, Mouffy, Mouffalicious and Fluffabuns. I originally considered naming her after the female cat in the Pepe Le Pew cartoons but I found out her name was Penelope and that didn't appeal.

by Anonymousreply 104May 14, 2020 1:04 AM

Hi R98/R99, the movie is called “Downfall” and covers the last week or so in the bunkerM in German with subtitles.. It’s told from the perspective of one of Hitler’s young secretaries who only died about 5 or20 years ago. It’s a great film for its own sake, and has been satirized many times.

by Anonymousreply 105May 14, 2020 1:13 AM

R81 I thought about that. I probably wouldn’t name the dog/cat Tyrone if it was black. It could be considered racist, idk. I’m white, so it might not be a good look anyway, but I’ve always liked the name.

by Anonymousreply 106May 14, 2020 1:16 AM

I have a friend who calls his cat Mr. Perfect, which fits his feline personality.

by Anonymousreply 107May 14, 2020 1:20 AM

Hi R97! My name is Tom! I hang out in a 19th century cemetery that is an arboretum in the middle if the Boston metro area. People usually leave us alone, but we have to keep an eye out for foxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 14, 2020 1:47 AM

R108, my town had a local celebrity turkey, known as "Downtown Tom". He made the front of the local paper and minor internet fame, because he liked to harass pedestrians.

But that's definitely a better name than just "Tom".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 14, 2020 4:01 AM

Ginger & Fluffy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 15, 2020 12:41 AM

I have a cat named Blackie.

I have a cat named Tabby.

I inherited my mother’s cat Momcat.

I had a white cat named Marshmallow. I had two cats, one was named Boy & the other was Girl. (Girly).

But I had a hamster named Mousy Tong.

by Anonymousreply 111May 15, 2020 1:38 AM

A lady down the street had a small little mini-dog of some kind whose name was Weeness, which was kind of stupid in itself, but in my mind I spelled it Weenus or Wenis, which made it funny. I'd always ask the lady about Wenis because I liked saying it.

by Anonymousreply 112May 18, 2020 6:03 PM

It's almost jaw-dropping how little any of us want to know what the affectionate nicknames for your pets are.

by Anonymousreply 113May 18, 2020 6:06 PM

[quote]It's almost jaw-dropping how little any of us want to know what the affectionate nicknames for your pets are.

This thread is about terrible names for pets, not affectionate nicknames; however, sometimes affectionate names venture into terrible name territory, so it's probably okay.

by Anonymousreply 114May 18, 2020 8:36 PM

[quote]My cat's name is Mouffette which is French for skunk.

So your pussy Mouffette stinks?

by Anonymousreply 115May 18, 2020 11:00 PM

My cat is named Luna, which I think is a pretty name.

by Anonymousreply 116May 19, 2020 12:01 AM

While out for a walk yesterday I met a small dog named Pismo. That was a first.

by Anonymousreply 117May 24, 2020 6:10 PM

I like the replies that list variations on the root name. This is good. My friend is trying to name a cat. She’s stuck on Milo, which I hate. So I sent her a photo of Milo Yannapupoulos every day for a week and she ditched it.

by Anonymousreply 118May 24, 2020 8:22 PM

I had a lab named U. Fukkin Azhol. Not a big hit at the vet.

by Anonymousreply 119May 24, 2020 8:26 PM

Years ago, a very sweet but methy go-go boy down the street had a large dog named Baby. No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 120May 25, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote] I like the replies that list variations on the root name. This is good. My friend is trying to name a cat. She’s stuck on Milo, which I hate. So I sent her a photo of Milo Yannapupoulos every day for a week and she ditched it.

Call the dog Inigo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 25, 2020 9:54 PM

Oops. Got confused. Thought it was a dog.

by Anonymousreply 122May 25, 2020 9:55 PM

I once took in a feral cat named Bootsie Gumdrop but it didn't last long. The poor thing couldn't stop pissing and shitting itself. Anytime I'd try to get close enough to clean her up she'd hiss and try to scratch me. I made sure that the facility I dropped her off at performed euthanizations because no one could ever love a disgusting creature like that.

by Anonymousreply 123May 25, 2020 10:08 PM

Didn't Pink.have a dog she named Fucker?

by Anonymousreply 124May 25, 2020 11:11 PM

I had cats named Byrd and Dave. Byrd was a vicious killer and psychopath who killed endless amounts of birds and rodents. She also used to get in the shower with me every morning. I've never had a cat that loved water like her. Dave was like a watchdog you didn't want to fuck with. One time a German shepherd attacked our lab and Dave jumped through the window and almost clawed his eyes out.

by Anonymousreply 125May 26, 2020 1:03 AM

OOh r125, your Dave sounds like that cat that fended off the dog that was stalking and attacking the kid on his bike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 26, 2020 3:46 AM

A friend has a cat named Loona, pronounced (of course) Luna. Its name used to be Luna, but the cat is genuine nuts so he changed the spelling to Loona.

by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2020 6:02 PM

Show dog names are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2020 6:03 PM

My kitten is named Brat

by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2020 6:07 PM

My cat is called My Pussy.

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2020 6:08 PM

A clever or original name does NOT guarantee a well-trained or well behaved little pet.

Believe me, I know.

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2020 6:10 PM

Ex BF had a cat named Petunia, which I think is a very charming name for a cat.

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2020 6:39 PM

It's also a charming name for a pig, R132.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2020 6:52 PM

"Show dog names are the worst. "

Oh no, show CAT names are even worse!

"Fluffbunny Sparklepants of Periwinkleglitter", the last being the name of the breeder's business.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2020 7:04 PM

The generic dog name is Japan, equivalent to "Fido" or "Rex," is "John." That's right: dogs are called "John." I thought about naming my dog John but it'd be too much trouble to explain. I also considered "Squirmy" but I thought I'd sound like an idiot. So I settled on "Tiger."

by Anonymousreply 135June 2, 2020 7:23 PM

My first Alaskan Malamute rescue was named Petunia by her foster family because of her potent farts. I changed her name to Elvira and there was never a farting problem again.

by Anonymousreply 136June 2, 2020 9:08 PM

R101—I once answered an email from someone named Pretty.

by Anonymousreply 137July 31, 2020 4:13 AM

[quote] Isis, my Siberian Husky (and she was named before the Middle Eastern…unpleasantness), is known around my house as Icy-juicy, Isitos, Isis-Catches-Mices, and Icicle.

No one ever, ever, ever wants to hear the cutesypoo nicknames you give your pet.

by Anonymousreply 138July 31, 2020 4:37 AM

I've had two rescue dogs named "Bella". I didn't bother to change their names because both dogs had been in foster homes long enough that they recognized it as their name.

One of them is gone. The other I still have but usually call her by her nicknames unless she's up to no good.

I also have a cat named Maximus. NOT "Max" but Maximus. Fabias Maximus if you're nasty.

Neighbor's old Tom is named "Moses" which is amusing. "Moses, get in the house!"

by Anonymousreply 139July 31, 2020 4:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!