Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Cybill Shepherd's career go straight down the shitter?

It's nice like despite being a mega bitch she wasn't once one of Hollywood's gorgeous actresses!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2020 1:40 AM

Honey, the tear Cybill apart threads have been

DONE

TO

DEATH

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2020 7:23 PM

OP, please clear your head and tell us what the fuck exactly you mean.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2020 7:24 PM

She was great in a movie called Rose that was released last year. She should have been nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2020 7:26 PM

She was a cunt to Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2020 7:26 PM

It's NOT like. Damn autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2020 7:27 PM

She gave a career defining performance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2020 7:28 PM

'Cause she a bitch?

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2020 7:36 PM

Louie Anderson as Christine Baskets resembles her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2020 7:39 PM

She's had a long and mostly successful career. Modeling, movies, TV. Some actresses are lucky to have one minor hit. She's had many. She's more of a survivor than a failure.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2020 7:50 PM

Really OP? Anyone on this planet long enough will understand that an average looking, aging woman in Hollywood is on a timer. Sure, Hollywood keeps a handful of token older women around; many that are just too respected to toss away like complete trash, but it's not many. Hell, there's not even enough parts if more older broads did try to stick around longer. Once in awhile a rare miracle will occur for a lucky few, with them being a hit with fraus (think Jennifer Aniston or Sarah Jessica parker), but even that is maybe until their 50s.

Watch any movie and most times you'll see a 30 year old playing wife and/or mother (to teens even), with a husband a decade older or more. They don't pretend it's a cradle robbing marriage either. They want you to see it as the average, similar aged couple. You can tell an actress is on count down to aging out when she starts getting those types of roles.

There's of course other ways of culling the herd, like bad behavior, or limited talent, or poor looks, but that's not the main reason. There's just not enough parts to keep them working, like being a mafia boss until their 80s, a grandfather type, or whatever -- and ask yourself how many movies straight up murder/ kill the woman for character motivation/ growth.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2020 7:57 PM

She has a special place in my heart because of The Last Picture Show. I love the movie and the young cast was so exceptional. They were great, Ben, Cloris (brilliant), Ellen and Eileen. She was also perfect in Taxi Driver.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2020 8:28 PM

I did like her in Taxi Driver.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2020 8:40 PM

She dared to portray me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2020 8:55 PM

R8 Yikes wtf is that?

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2020 9:38 PM

She made a career out of making Elvis eat her out.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2020 10:57 PM

I didn't like hern Taxi Driver or in her TV shows, it always felt like she was acting. She seems wooden.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2020 11:20 PM

Everything aside.... she’s old. Hollywood does not want once young and beautiful stars once they hit menopause.... oh, and she was a cunt

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2020 11:46 PM

She'd love to play the agism and "because I'm a woman" card and there is some truth to that, but the real truth is that she's an ego-driven, narcissistic shrew who makes everyone around her miserable. Couple that with the fact that she only has what career she has based on her looks and, yeah, she's not going to be turning down offers left and right.

She's a cautionary tale to beautiful actresses to make sure they keep working on their acting skills, be kind to others, and don't ever rely on your beauty/sex appeal alone to get you in the door, because a day will come when that's gone or faded and, if you've been a bitch to everyone and aren't that much of an actress to begin with, you're not going to get much work.

Even a great actress like Faye Dunaway can't get work because she's an insane pain in the ass to deal with. She probably thought it was because she was aging and got all that awful work done to try and get roles. What she really needed was a new personality, not a new nose.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2020 12:04 AM

She looked like a man. Was built like one too.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2020 1:20 AM

Unlikable. Hated.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2020 6:28 AM

BPD.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2020 7:55 AM

OP = Christine Baranski

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2020 6:08 AM

She looks like John Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2020 6:13 AM

[Quote] she only has what career she has based on her looks

If that were true, she wouldn't have had a career beyond Bogdanovich. She had two hits shows - one in the 1980s and one in the 1990s. She was in her forties on the latter show.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2020 6:17 AM

She seems like the kind of actress you'd have to direct on every line. I'm sure it's exhausting. Maybe Bogdanovich was the only one who had the patience for it. Probably helped that he was fucking her, too.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2020 10:51 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2020 11:21 PM

And yet she still works.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2020 11:26 PM

Bruce Willis is a creep. Nasty, vile creep.

Baranski loves to embarrass her fans in public by making them look stupid. She was also jealous of having to be second banana to Shepherd.

Cybill isn't a walk in the park, but those two aren't innocent victims either.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2020 11:28 PM

Baranski owes reparations to Joanna Lumley.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2020 11:29 PM

I recently re-watched the L&O:SVU episode where she portrayed the killer celebrity chef. She was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2020 11:36 PM

There’s a great, 10 part podcast series on You Must Remember this about Hollywood art director and producer, Polly Platt, who was married to Peter Bogdanovich during the best part of his career. Polly partnered with him to direct and produce The Last Picture Show, What’s Up Doc and Paper Moon

Peter dumped Polly in humiliating fashion to get involved with Cybill while they were filming The Last Picture Show.

Polly sounds fantastic. Cybill does not come across well though Peter is the villain of Polly’s story.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2020 11:40 PM

I'll never forget that awful "joke" she said at the Oscars when she named one of Bogdanovich's films when listing out the nominees, but it wasn't even nominated. She thought that was so cute, but it made both of them look bitter and narcissistic. Maybe if she had better comic timing, it could have worked, but I doubt it.

It is possible that she's mellowed a bit in her older years. She was fairly young at the time and I'm sure we all did similarly stupid things, even if they weren't broadcast to millions of viewers.

by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2020 1:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!