Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Elisabeth Shue's career go straight down the shitter?

It wasn't as if she herself didn't think she would have a great career after Leaving Las Vegas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 13, 2023 3:35 AM

She cray. When she went to Harvard she used to wander around Cambridge, talking to herself. Very bag-lady-esque. There were other stories but I can't remember them now.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2020 3:13 AM

She went to Harvard?

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2020 3:15 AM

Are you confusing her with her Soapdish character?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2020 3:17 AM

She aged out and she was in some duds (The Saint, Hollow Man)

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2020 3:18 AM

She has an annoying face.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2020 3:20 AM

She could be very charming and winning in many roles, but I'm not sure if she had much range.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2020 3:21 AM

The light is soooo bright, black jack on a Saturday night! Surviving coronavirus!!! (Oh wait it’s leaving Las Vegas but I need to more relevant.)

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2020 3:22 AM

The light is soooo bright, black jack on a Saturday night! Surviving coronavirus!!! (Oh wait it’s leaving Las Vegas but I need to more relevant.)

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2020 3:22 AM

No, I'm not confused.

As a kid out of high school she went to Welleseley. At some point she transferred from Wellesley to Harvard and then she left early but I think she may have only had a semester left. She went back to finish the semester and get her degree after she was a famous actress when the charm of Hollywood wore thin. That's where the "she walks around town and talks to herself like a bag-lady" story came from, her later stint at college. I don't actually know if she managed to finish the second time.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2020 3:23 AM

If it's any consolation, she did better than her brother!

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2020 3:23 AM

I got the feeling her family was wealthy, or at least upper middle class, and she is married to Davis Guggenheim, a director and I think also a son of upper middle class or wealthy. She may not want/need to work.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2020 3:27 AM

Soapdish is a fabulous movie, with perfect performances from everybody, even people who are bad in other stuff. Sally Field Carrie Fisher, Cathy Moriority, Terri Hatcher, some marginal soap hunk who was still funny in what he was called upon to do, Kevin Kline, Whoopie Goldberg, Robert Downey Jr., Gary freaking Marshall, Kathy Njimy. Only one bad performance and that was Elizabeth Shue. Yes, she was the "straight woman" but she also turns diva and she played it no differently than if she was in a serious movie. No timing, no flair, no energy..

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2020 3:30 AM

I believe she was in serious contention for the lead in The Good Wife but declined due to the shooting location. If she had taken the part she might have won an Emmy and got a cosmetics campaign out of it.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2020 3:36 AM

Shue, Elizabeth. Hygienically challenged. Has begun acting increasingly erratic; "very cold and aloof to fans." "Nasty disposition." Linked with Val Kilmer. Posed/poses for naughty pictures.

That’s the vintage gossip.

I liked “Cousin Bette” but she was terrible in it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2020 3:38 AM

Her eyebrows. They just didn't work...

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2020 3:41 AM

I really wished instead of shitter we would use the term “Crapper” and honor this very distinguished man. For god’s sake he is the person who invented the floating ballcock. Why did so and so’s career go straight down the crapper” has a wonderful ring to it. For your consideration on the next crash and burn thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2020 3:41 AM

She probably either took time off to have kids and could never get back or she wouldn't fuck Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2020 3:45 AM

Shue, Sharon Stone and M all competed for Best Actress in 1996. And in the last decade, Shue and Stone were reduced to bit parts in movies in which M was the star.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2020 3:47 AM

Of the three of them M is obviously the better actress.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2020 3:49 AM

Because her brother was into too much drama living on Melrose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2020 4:42 AM

R20 Andrew looked so good on the Melrose reunion show they had last week on the Youtube. I don’t think he was a troubled sibling like a Kristy, a Justine or a Philip.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2020 4:57 AM

She graduated from Harvard in 2000. She is from a wealthy family. Her dad was president of a company and her mom was a bank executive.

She was already in her mid-30s when Leaving Las Vegas hit. Her follow-ups weren't very good. She did better on TV, she was a cast member on CSI for the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2020 5:00 AM

Well it’s questionable for her to fall back on babysitting if she doesn’t find work as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2020 5:06 AM

She, Lea Thompson and Sarah Michelle Gellar were all in a Burger King commercial before they hit the big time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2020 5:17 AM

Because she spells her name with an S instead of a Z.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2020 5:17 AM

She auditioned for the Ione Skye role in Say Anything... (1989), being a runner-up along with Jennifer Connelly.

She was one of several Hollywood actresses considered for the role of Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman (1990), portrayed by Julia Roberts.

She auditioned for the Sherilyn Fenn role in Of Mice and Men (1992)

She was slated for the Adrienne Shelly role in Teresa's Tattoo (1994). (read in edition of Film Review magazine in 1994)

She was considered for the Anne Heche role in The Third Miracle (1999).

She was originally cast in The Number 23 (2007) but was let go due to her third pregnancy and replaced by Virginia Madsen.

She was tapped to reunite with Val Kilmer in The Hard Ride in 2007. The film was also to star Karl Urban whom she would later star alongside in The Boys (2019 TV series).

She was offered the lead role in The Good Wife (2009-2016) with the role finally going to Julianna Margulies.

She was slated as series regular for TV series Pitch (2016) but departed and was replaced by Ali Larter.

She has expressed ambivalence appearing in Cobra Kai, reprising her role, Ali, from the original 1984 film The Karate Kid. The series serves as a continuation of the original films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2020 5:31 AM

In 2019, Shue took a leading role in the American superhero drama television series, The Boys, with Karl Urban and Jack Quaid, and will be playing the lead role in the TNT television pilot Constance, playing a corrupt former beauty queen. In the latter she will also be one of the executive producers along with Robert Downey Jr. (whom she previously co-starred with in Soapdish and Heart and Souls) and his wife Susan Downey among others. Constance is not going forward to series so remains to be seen it the pilot will air as a television movie.

She has already filmed Greyhound opposite Tom Hanks, to be released in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2020 5:33 AM

If you read her Wiki page, it doesn't look like her career went down the shitter. She's been working steadily for years. She just didn't become a household name and face.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2020 5:40 AM

R26 That makes me sad, Hollywood is a hard place.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2020 5:41 AM

R25, yes. Elisabeths with that form of spelling tend to be unfortunate cases.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2020 5:45 AM

R26, is she appearing in Cobra Kai Season 3?

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2020 6:49 AM

R31. See the last sentence of R26.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2020 8:10 AM

I offered to give her the lowdown on how to make it big in this town..... after I went down on her town while touching myself to get big. Stupid bitch ran. Now, who’s the sorry one?

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2020 8:28 AM

Didn't she or Ralph Macchio reveal that they didn't really get along during Karate Kid? I thought I remembered reading that she was kind of a bully to him.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2020 10:21 AM

R34, she was way mismatched for him as a romantic interest in Karate Kid. Like Leo and Kate Winslet in Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2020 5:28 PM

I remember hearing that her family called her Lisa. I never really understood nicknames. If you wanted to call your daughter Lisa, why didn't you just name her that?

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2020 1:25 AM

She couldn't deal with having a prettier brother.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2020 1:31 AM

Because Broadway doesn’t go for booze and dope! Now get outta my way,—I gotta guy waitin for me.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2020 1:48 AM

ugly

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2020 1:54 AM

She was better than Cage in Leaving Las Vegas. Her role is actually harder than his. She's the one who has to be sober for 2 hours. DL fave Sue Sarandon has her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2020 2:00 AM

Just as Natalie Wood is the only wood that couldn't float, Elisabeth Shue is the only shue you can flush straight down the shitter!

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2020 6:03 AM

I remember that story in Rick James' book about he and Elisabeth hanging out on an LA beach at night snorting cocaine and talking about everything under the sun. He said she was educated in everything. This was around 1984/1985.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 7:25 PM

Isn’t she rather a similar age and type to Jennifer Jason Leigh?

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 7:31 PM

Rachel McAdams reminds me Elisabeth Shue in terms of her acting.

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2021 1:14 AM

Dear Angelique... Dear Angelique...

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2021 1:21 AM

In terms of Hollywood, the Shue simply doesn't fit.

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2021 1:22 AM

I remember being shocked when she turned up in a guest starring arc on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' several years back. It was such a throw-away role, but perhaps she and Larry David are friends or something. Either way, I thought to myself that she had certainly fallen from great heights of being a movie star to popping in to cameo on a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2021 1:27 AM

I adore her. The latest thing I saw her in, was "Hamlet 2", which I really enjoyed. My favorite of her films, is "Adventures In Babysitting".

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2021 1:29 AM

She end up being in crap movies like Piranha 3D and House At The End Of The Street playing fat Jennifer Lawrence's mom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 3, 2021 1:43 AM

Elisabeth was in the last two episodes of Cobra Kai this season and I have to say, she was radiant.

by Anonymousreply 50April 3, 2021 1:49 AM

She was a chubby, snotty bitch. That's why her career went down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 51April 3, 2021 1:53 AM

She’s shitting all over Celeste

by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2021 2:01 AM

Watching Cocktail now as a Tom Cruise joke but she definitely has an ease in front of the camera. It's clear why she would have done well as a junior actor but not really have the talent to take it to the next level.

by Anonymousreply 53April 3, 2021 2:03 AM

I'm watching Cocktail too! It's on HULU and it's terrible

by Anonymousreply 54April 3, 2021 2:48 AM

She was great in The Boys

by Anonymousreply 55April 3, 2021 3:22 AM

I get the feeling that acting was never a big passion for her.

by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2022 12:07 PM

I was always distracted how she seemed to'lead with her chin', as in jut it out when she was supposed to be dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2022 12:43 PM

According to Timothy Busfield, she and Anthony Edwards were dating during the filming of the first or second Revenge of the Nerds movie (i want to say it was the original).

by Anonymousreply 58February 13, 2023 3:01 AM

I like how she shades Karate Kid, Ralph Macchio and Cocktail in certain interviews.

by Anonymousreply 59February 13, 2023 3:05 AM

I've always loved Shue but she could never be sexy with her boxy/manly figure. She was more manly and athletic than Andrew. That is fo sho.

by Anonymousreply 60February 13, 2023 3:06 AM

Years were kinder to her than they were to her baby brother. I admire Andrew for deciding to age naturally but he has under eye wrinkles of a 90-year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2023 3:28 AM

R61 My gawd she looks terrible. No wonder her wife dropped her for sexy TJ Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 62February 13, 2023 3:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!