Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Very Famous Stage or Screen Actor Do You Think Is Hideously Overrated?

Mine is Jason Robards Jr. I saw him onstage as well as in films several times, and I always felt he was walking through his part.

A Thousand Clowns was an exception, because it's a comedy, and back in the 1960s actors played comedy *comically*, putting the jokes over with a sarcastic or whatever inflection.

But in straight drama, especially heavy pieces like A Moon For the Misbegotten, Robards wasn't acting in any sense, just mouthing lines. Yet everyone thought he was the consummate American actor. I always wondered how Colleen Dewhurst found the energy to keep her role going night after night while playing against that lump of nothing.

Elizabeth Taylor might be another instance, though I always enjoyed her. She certainly was glamorous, especially as Regina in The Little Foxes. I remember a dinner party back in the day, when everybody was tearing her Regina apart. Later, I walked home with one of the guests, and he admitted that he thought she was good but he wasn't willing to take on the fury of her detractors.

And she really had them. I could never figure out why some gays hated her so much. Does anyone here remember Terry Miller? Well-known in gay theatrical circles. He called her "pig woman." Isn't that really just...demented? Did she shoot his dog or something?

Anyway, here's everybody's chance to name his or her pet acting horror. I'm sure some of you have them. Ernest Borgnine? Benedict Cumberbatch? Please not Keanu Reeves--he's such a nice guy. And so mysterious. Is he Everydude? No dude? The perfect Neo.

by Anonymousreply 367August 6, 2020 12:17 AM

I ended up watching a John Wayne movie for the first time in decades recently, The Searchers, one of his major ones. He literally didn't act at all - the lines were delivered in a dull monotone and there was nothing going on behind the eyes whatsoever. I know in movie acting we get told less is more, but it was just flat and banal and I felt no star presence as he trudged through the part.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2020 9:13 PM

Richard Gere- I know he’s never been considered a master thespian, but he’s squinty and whisper mumbles his lines.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2020 2:49 AM

Clint Eastwood

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2020 2:50 AM

Meryl Streep. Yeah, I said it so come at me bitches!

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2020 3:15 AM

Cate Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2020 3:18 AM

Benedict Cumberbatch. I watched the National Theatre Live Frankenstein, with him as the monster, and he was cringeworthy, as always.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2020 3:22 AM

Kirk Douglas. He played every role at 11, knew nothing about subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2020 3:22 AM

I never thought William Holden was all that special

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2020 3:23 AM

Cate Blanchett is massively overrated

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2020 3:25 AM

Timothee Chalamet. Overrated in: looks and acting.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2020 3:26 AM

Keira Knightley

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2020 3:29 AM

Armie Hammer. Is a terrible actor but manages to stay employed. He’s also very average looking.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2020 9:33 AM

Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland, Adam Driver. Adam because he basically plays the same part in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2020 9:34 AM

After having enjoyed many of Robert DeNiro's performances, I am now moving him into the overrated column. He's capable, but he hasn't delivered in years. When I watched the first part of [italic]The Irishman[/italic], I felt embarrassed for him. Then I quit watching.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2020 9:57 AM

Cate Blanchett is mechanical and lifeless. The first time I saw her was in a Lord of the Rings movie and she was trying to do possessed with greed and rage and I was embarrassed by it. There are moments where she can be quite good, but mostly when I see her act, I see her looking for her marks, calculating her next line, planning her facial expression. Nothing seems natural... except her ego.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2020 10:03 AM

I hate Spencer Tracy. Will not watch anything with that one-note fug.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2020 12:08 PM

Saoirse Ronan is overrated and always plays the same character.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2020 2:09 PM

R12: I think he’s handsome but my God I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody more wooden than him.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2020 2:19 PM

James Stewart and Clark Gable. JS delivers almost every line as if he's thinking the word "Well" (scrunch eyebrows and purse lips). CG is smug and not listening.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2020 2:23 PM

David Corenswet is the worst actor Ryan Murphy has ever used.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2020 2:26 PM

R20, that’s the harshest criticism I’ve ever read of an actor. Good thing he’s pretty.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2020 2:28 PM

Ben Affleck. He should be famous in Boston for being an insurance salesman. Or a high school football coach.

And btw, OP, thanks for starting a new thread instead of bumpbitching one of the 279 preexisting threads in which we answered this question over the years.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2020 2:34 PM

Harrison Ford, wooden and monotone.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2020 2:35 PM

TOM HANKS. He's humble about the talent he doesn't even have.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2020 2:58 PM

Kerry Washington is a terrible actress and a total plain jane. Somehow she continues to get roles.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2020 5:04 PM

I love Kerry Washington.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2020 5:06 PM

R22: I totally agree. We didn't another thread about this subject. However, the truth is the vast majority of actors in Hollywood today are overrated.

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2020 5:08 PM

Margot Robbie. Most critics are straight men so they overrate any attractive woman.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2020 5:40 PM

R28: In Hollywood, there is always a blonde ingenue. Right now it's Margot's turn. In about five years she'll be yesterday's news.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2020 5:52 PM

Ok, those accusing Armie Hammer and Harrison Ford of being wooden have clearly never seen Robert Taylor try to act. He makes Hammer and Ford seem versatile and extraordinarily gifted by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2020 6:08 PM

R2 I think Gere is underrated actually. It’s true he was pretty embarrassing in a lot of his early career roles, but he’s improved leaps and bounds since then, with a few missteps (ahem, First Knight) but mostly very good performances. But he’s still I think seen as kind of a “non-actor” by many which must be why the “snubs” like Chicago and Arbitrage happened. One of his best performances was Internal Affairs.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2020 6:14 PM

Leonardo DiCaprio in everything he did after Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2020 6:17 PM

M

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2020 6:19 PM

Doesn't Julia Roberts own this thread? (And I kind of like her)

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2020 6:21 PM

No it's not Julia. Leonardo DiCaprio owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2020 6:26 PM

But ... has anyone ever accused Julia of being a great actress r34? She's never had a lot of substance but that wasn't her appeal anyway

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2020 6:26 PM

Fredric March does nothing for me

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2020 6:39 PM

Gary Cooper mumbled his way through every role, and he got worse as he got older.

I agree about Care Blanchett...more ego than substance. No

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2020 6:45 PM

She was good in Blue Jasmine

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2020 6:47 PM

R40: I always see the acting with her never the emotion and yes she's a narcissist that believes her own hype.

by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2020 6:54 PM

I always felt Amjad Khan was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 41May 3, 2020 7:03 PM

Difficult to compare old time actors and one that are more contemporary. The olds settled into personas, which, if lucky, they could adapt to different genres: Bogart, Cary Grant, and Spencer Tracy among others. A few, like Barbara Stanwyck were truly versatile and could play fairly differently in different roles. the "method" trained actors changed that and everybody became a character player aside from pretty types like Clooney, Julia Roberts, etc.

Some of the most overrated were people who probably were ok on stage but annoying in other media---Geraldine Page, for example. Her scenery chewing histrionics were fine for "Sweet Bird of Youth" where she was playing of off Paul Newman at his most beautiful, but insufferable in " A Trip to Bountiful". where she carried the picture and was in every scene.

by Anonymousreply 42May 3, 2020 7:10 PM

John Wayne, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, James Stewart, etc., were more old Hollywood movie star personalities than actors. They played themselves in every single role because that's what movie audiences expected and that's what their studios demanded. And if they ever tried to change things up, as Gable tried to do by singing and dancing in "Idiot's Delight," their fans rejected it.

by Anonymousreply 43May 3, 2020 7:12 PM

Hands down: Katharine Hepbun.

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2020 7:20 PM

R44 Kinda funny typo, n'est-ce pas: Hepbun!

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2020 7:22 PM

R44 = Meryl Streep, continuing to nurse grudges

Click click click

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2020 7:25 PM

OP Yes,, thank you for not just bumping old threads about this same topic. I want to be able to post!

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2020 7:31 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2020 7:33 PM

OP, I think you are completely wrong about Robards in MOON. He and Dewhurst give two of the best performances I've ever seen (this is based on the video of the performance taped for TV). He was also excellent as James Tyrone Jr. in the film of LONG DAYS JOURNEY with K. Hepburn (who rises to the occasion for once). Also like him in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN and JULIA.

He could definitely phone it in though. There's a 1970 film of JULIUS CAESAR where he plays Brutus, and he's so awful it's unbelievable. I also saw him and Dewhurst on stage in a late 80s production of JOURNEY where they played James Sr. and Mary. He was lifeless and she never quite got a grasp on the part.

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2020 7:44 PM

I love him in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN--that was the part he was born to play (he even looked like Ben Bradlee). I like him quite a lot in JULIA, although you never see what Jane Fonda's Lillian Hellman sees in him and you also have to hear her constantly address him as "Da-ash" in her Southern California drawl.

I agree he's not good in A THOUSAND CLOWNS, although most of the problem is with the play itself. It's basically a version of AUNTIE MAME, but in this case the loving, life-affirming, anti-Establishment caretaker relative has a drab and poverty-stricken life in Manhattan to offer the impressionable child rather than a wealthy, dazzling one.

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2020 7:57 PM

Geraldine Page was increasingly mannered as an actress as she aged, as mannered as Maggie Smith could ever be.

Kim Stanley is another legendary actress about whom I run hot and cold. At times she sounds almost exactly like Page when she speaks. She only made a few movies where she had a lead: THE GODDESS (where she plays a Marilyn Monroe-like figure); SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON; and a taped version of the Actors Studio production of THE THREE SISTERS where she played Masha (Page was Olga and a miscast Sandy Dennis was Irina).

She was the best thing in SISTERS, but I found her performances in the other two overrated, though she got Oscar noms for each. Loved her in FRANCES and THE RIGHT STUFF.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2020 7:58 PM

Stanley wasn't nominated for "The Goddess". I agree she was overrated in "Seance on a Wet Afternoon".

"Melvin and Howard" is my favorite Robards performance. Really, he's just in one long scene, but it's brilliantly written and acted.

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2020 8:03 PM

Marilyn Monroe , sexy but couldn't act .

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2020 8:06 PM

Armie Hammer. Single handedly created controversy around his movie because he showed no emotion and came across as a creep.

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2020 8:23 PM

Humphrey Bogart. Only ever played one character...Humphrey Bogart.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2020 8:28 PM

Jerry Lewis just was never funny to me. Neither was Adam Sandler. I never understood why people went to their movies.

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2020 8:34 PM

R36 well she did win an Oscar, so SOMEBODY must have thought she was good. That being said she is my nominee as well. The horse laugh and twinkling is all she can do and I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2020 8:39 PM

Nicole Kidman's success baffles me.

There' nothing there!!

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2020 8:47 PM

Robert Downey Jr. On more than one occasion I've been made to sit through his crap movies because of my dysfunctional family.

by Anonymousreply 59May 3, 2020 9:00 PM

R57: She won an Oscar because she was the biggest movie star at the time. Personally, I don't get her at all. She has no range, no beauty, and a horrible personality.

by Anonymousreply 60May 3, 2020 9:00 PM

R58: And how she keeps getting cast in everything is even more baffling.

by Anonymousreply 61May 3, 2020 9:01 PM

I’m with Katherine Hepburn on this one: whir whir whir.

by Anonymousreply 62May 3, 2020 9:01 PM

Al Pacino. He may have been great at one time, now all he does is mumble and bark.

by Anonymousreply 63May 3, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] well she did win an Oscar, so SOMEBODY must have thought she was good.

John Wayne and Joan Crawford also won Oscars. That doesn't mean they were good actors.

by Anonymousreply 64May 3, 2020 9:50 PM

Laurence Olivier

by Anonymousreply 65May 3, 2020 9:51 PM

R63 he still gives inspired great performances enough (ie You don’t know jack) to earn his continued status imo. Compare to DeNiro especially — Pacino still pushes himself creatively. Not all the time for sure, but often enough.

by Anonymousreply 66May 3, 2020 9:56 PM

Definitely Ben Affleck. He's a soggy loaf of bread.

by Anonymousreply 67May 3, 2020 9:57 PM

I agree with the above poster that Robards was only good in All the President's Men and Julia.

BTW, several years after Julia came out it was discovered that the story was bullshit, Lillian Hellman made the whole thing up.

by Anonymousreply 68May 3, 2020 10:05 PM

Bunch of imbeciles on this thread-

by Anonymousreply 69May 3, 2020 10:18 PM

r69 - fingering herself to old John Wayne movies.

by Anonymousreply 70May 3, 2020 10:21 PM

R40 Cate was best in Documentary Now as the Marina Abramavic character (episode called Waiting for The Artist) because any of Cate's theatricality was needed for the unerring portrayal of Marina, and we got to see Cate be very funny.

by Anonymousreply 71May 3, 2020 10:27 PM

i like robards in "parenthood" still love that movie...

by Anonymousreply 72May 3, 2020 10:29 PM

R55, The same could be said about Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 73May 3, 2020 10:36 PM

Ginger Rogers

by Anonymousreply 74May 3, 2020 10:37 PM

Rami Fucking Malek

by Anonymousreply 75May 3, 2020 11:59 PM

Geraldine Chaplin owns this thread. So hammy, pretentious and affected. A horrible actress and a tramp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 4, 2020 12:04 AM

Bradley Cooper. Supposedly blew every casting agent in town.

by Anonymousreply 77May 4, 2020 12:07 AM

Jason Robards looked like gangster Frank Lucas's black brother. Even had the same gravelly voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 4, 2020 12:17 AM

R53, that sexiness was an act and you fell for it. Many of her contemporaries (directors, actors, producers) acknowledged that she had natural comedic timing. She was pretty good playing a hillbilly in Bus Stop. That performance was praised by critics of the time.

by Anonymousreply 79May 4, 2020 1:19 AM

Brie Fucking Larson

by Anonymousreply 80May 4, 2020 2:13 AM

Gal Gadot. I don't get the praise for her in Wonder Woman, she sounded like she was reading her lines phonetically

by Anonymousreply 81May 4, 2020 2:56 AM

R76, did you mean Geraldine Page?

by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2020 3:07 AM

Lauren Bacall. The only time I really liked her was in The Mirror Has Two Faces of all things and I read where Streisand really had to coax the performance out of her.

Come to think of it, Streisand is another actor whose praise I've never understood. She could be very funny and is fantastic in a few of her comedies, but her attempts at serious drama never do anything for me. Her singing talent I totally get, but she was never much of an actress to me.

by Anonymousreply 83May 4, 2020 3:31 AM

That's interesting, R83, and I agree with you about Barbra. I think Cher is the opposite. She's a decent actress but her strange, low-register singing style leaves me cold.

by Anonymousreply 84May 4, 2020 3:38 AM

"But in straight drama, especially heavy pieces like A Moon For the Misbegotten, Robards wasn't acting in any sense, just mouthing lines..."

Said no one ever.

by Anonymousreply 85May 4, 2020 3:46 AM

Most of the actors who have won an Oscar in the last decade are overrated.

by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2020 3:48 AM

Laurence Olivier was a huge ham. I've never been able to sit through his Hamlet or Rebecca. I re-watched Spartacus not that long ago and his scenes are laughable. It was like watching a parody starring Leslie Nielsen.

Marilyn Monroe could be a decent actor, particularly with comedy, but her insecurities got the best of her.

Pacino and DeNiro have been phoning in their performances for years. This is what happens when everyone tells you how great you are. You just show up, read your lines, go home and cash the check.

by Anonymousreply 87May 4, 2020 3:48 AM

Brad Pitt. I get it he’s handsome but I never really got the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 88May 4, 2020 3:50 AM

I don't think Pitt deserved his Oscar at all

by Anonymousreply 89May 4, 2020 3:51 AM

He deserved it a helluva lot more than the nominated nothing DiCaprio performance.

by Anonymousreply 90May 4, 2020 3:53 AM

OUATIH was garbage.

by Anonymousreply 91May 4, 2020 3:55 AM

William Hurt owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 92May 4, 2020 3:59 AM

OMG R87 I totally forgot about Olivier and I agree 100%. I wish I could go back in time and see him on the stage to see if there’s anything there because his screen acting is laughable. The only times I can stomach him is when he’s playing goofy parts as in A Little Romance or The Boys from Brazil

by Anonymousreply 93May 4, 2020 4:03 AM

Overrated actors, you have the world to choose from and you choose JASON ROBARDS, OP.

Fail. Travel back in time, watch him do O'Neill on Broadway and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 94May 4, 2020 4:07 AM

"He deserved it a helluva lot more than the nominated nothing DiCaprio performance."

I though it was the other way around. DiCaprio was good and I barely even noticed Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 95May 4, 2020 4:35 AM

Orson Welles, an over-rated ham. He had one great idea and it was on radio - that War of the Worlds thing or whatever it was called. Terrified people. After that, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 96May 4, 2020 4:58 AM

Citizen Kane - still a work of genius.

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2020 5:00 AM

Citizen Kane might be a work of genius but Welles' acting in it was over-the-top.

by Anonymousreply 98May 4, 2020 5:03 AM

Not really, r98, but never mind.

by Anonymousreply 99May 4, 2020 5:04 AM

Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 100May 4, 2020 5:38 AM

Gerard Butler.

by Anonymousreply 101May 4, 2020 6:28 AM

I love Jack Lemmon, he had some great roles but his mannerisms/physical tics could be very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 102May 4, 2020 7:28 AM

Marlon Brando -- very talented, especially in the 1950s, but he was overpraised for doing what John Garfield did first and better in the 1930s and 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2020 7:49 AM

Ryan Reynolds

by Anonymousreply 104May 4, 2020 8:09 AM

R102 he was great at conveying inner emotion and turmoil but sometimes less is more (or you have to save the “more” for the right moments) and he needed a director to reign him in a bit. He was just right in The China Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 105May 4, 2020 8:12 AM

R53 She was quite good/compelling before she took center stage, in films like Clash By Night and All About Eve

by Anonymousreply 106May 4, 2020 9:42 AM

Not just hideously overrated, but I dislike watching them.

Matt Damon

Judi Dench

Johnny Depp

Leo diCaprio

Jane Fonda

Diane Keaton

Sean Penn

by Anonymousreply 107May 4, 2020 10:57 AM

Raúl Esparza. Earnest, but can't sing nor act.

by Anonymousreply 108May 4, 2020 11:01 AM

R88: He’s not ugly but he really never did it for me looks wise.

by Anonymousreply 109May 4, 2020 11:03 AM

I agree Olivier was usually strained and mannered on film; Alec Guinness, Ralph Richardson and John Gielgud transferred media from stage to movies much more successfully.

by Anonymousreply 110May 4, 2020 11:29 AM

R108 = Jeremy Piven

by Anonymousreply 111May 4, 2020 11:29 AM

[quote]At least he’s pretty.

You call THIS pretty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote]Al Pacino. He may have been great at one time, now all he does is mumble and bark.

There’s your autobiography title —

by Anonymousreply 113May 4, 2020 12:10 PM

Meryl Streep. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 114May 4, 2020 12:40 PM

Casey FUCKING Affleck

by Anonymousreply 115May 4, 2020 12:44 PM

Julia Roberts. I don't get it and I never will.

by Anonymousreply 116May 4, 2020 1:32 PM

"Citizen Kane might be a work of genius but Welles' acting in it was over-the-top."

It's called expressionist film-making.

"Julia Roberts. I don't get it and I never will."

Me either. And one of the worst speaking voices in film history.

by Anonymousreply 117May 4, 2020 1:46 PM

Jennifer Lawrence and Florence Pugh

by Anonymousreply 118May 4, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote]Casey FUCKING Affleck

OTOH, Casey Affleck FUCKING is something I wouldn't mind looking at.

by Anonymousreply 119May 4, 2020 2:00 PM

You bitches aren't old enough to remember the GRANDE DAME of them all: MISS HELEN HAYES. She made a VERY distinguished career ("First Lady of the American Theater") out of playing noble and/or lovable biddies. That's all she could do.

by Anonymousreply 120May 4, 2020 2:13 PM

Jesse Eisenberg - If you're casting a movie that requires a youngish socially-awkward soft-spoken condescending guy who is not really interested in anything else but himself and demonstrating how much better he is than everyone else in the film, then the brilliant Jesse Eisenberg is your man. For all other types of movies and roles, you'll have to look elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 121May 4, 2020 2:23 PM

Emma Fucking Stone

by Anonymousreply 122May 4, 2020 2:55 PM

Amy Adams

by Anonymousreply 123May 4, 2020 3:28 PM

Claire Danes

by Anonymousreply 124May 4, 2020 3:45 PM

Angela Lansbury. I saw her in Gypsy, Sweeney Todd, The King and I, A little Family Business and A Little Night Music. I must say I loved all but Family Business and enjoyed her tremendously but find it hard to reconcile her reputation with her work.

by Anonymousreply 125May 4, 2020 3:50 PM

Judge for yourself, OP....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 4, 2020 3:58 PM

Elizabeth Taylor was great in Virginia Woolf. Surprisingly great. After that...meh.

by Anonymousreply 127May 4, 2020 6:10 PM

I thought she was hammy in Virginia Woolf

by Anonymousreply 128May 4, 2020 6:24 PM

Timothee Chalamet. Thread Closed.

by Anonymousreply 129May 4, 2020 6:37 PM

Charlize Theron. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 130May 4, 2020 8:34 PM

R130: Reese Witherspoon. Another cunt.

by Anonymousreply 131May 4, 2020 8:37 PM

Tyne Daly. So many accolades and so much recognition for playing the same bossy loudmouth mannish self-righteous role. Whether she's playing a stage mother, a police detective, a San Francisco minister, a neighbor or a barkeeper, you can always count on Tyne to pontificate in the same haircut.

by Anonymousreply 132May 4, 2020 9:22 PM

SadAH Thompson. Someone here described that she delivered her lines as if she had a crown on her head.

by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2020 9:30 PM

Margot Robbie is ALRIGHT for a pretty girl. She’s graded on a curve. If she didn’t look she way she did, she wouldn’t be working.

I watched Brad Pitt recently on the episode of Friends he did. Wow, was he shockingly bad. It really shows the important of film editing and multiple takes.

by Anonymousreply 134May 4, 2020 9:41 PM

I think Tyne Daly is pretty underrated. Far from overrated. Her performance in Gypsy was one of the most astounding things I've ever seen, especially considering the chips were stacked against her since she doesn't have the voice of a Merman or LuPone, but she was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 135May 4, 2020 9:41 PM

Tom Hanks, total hambone.

by Anonymousreply 136May 4, 2020 9:46 PM

I thought Roberts was good in Erin Brockovich. Oscar winning good? No, but I still enjoyed the movie.

by Anonymousreply 137May 4, 2020 10:40 PM

"SadAH Thompson. Someone here described that she delivered her lines as if she had a crown on her head."

That's because she was--rightfully--a queen among actresses. Now kneel and kiss the trailing hem of her nethermost garment, r133.

by Anonymousreply 138May 4, 2020 11:34 PM

Who the hell is Sada Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 139May 4, 2020 11:55 PM

Another vote for the insufferable phony Tom Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 140May 5, 2020 12:20 AM

Armie Hammer. Does he secretly produce things. I always wonder why anyone hires him.

by Anonymousreply 141May 5, 2020 5:54 AM

Dame fucking Helen Mirren

by Anonymousreply 142May 5, 2020 3:59 PM

Renee Zellweger and her two awful Oscar wins.

by Anonymousreply 143May 5, 2020 4:00 PM

Reese Witherspoon. What do people see in her? She’s nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 144May 5, 2020 4:00 PM

Dame Judi Dench. Cannot stand her.

by Anonymousreply 145May 5, 2020 4:02 PM

Frances McDormand in everything she’s ever done.

by Anonymousreply 146May 5, 2020 4:17 PM

Agree about FMcD. Holly Hunter too. I can't concentrate on her words because I'm too worried about her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 147May 5, 2020 4:19 PM

Emma Stone. Which idiot casting director keeps giving her parts? She continually plays herself and looks very alien like.

by Anonymousreply 148May 5, 2020 4:23 PM

Morgan Freeman has played the same character over and over and over and over again. So has Frances McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 149May 5, 2020 4:34 PM

I quite like Emma Stone, but I do think her Oscar win for La La Land was patently absurd. There was nothing unique or distinctive about that performance; she's been so much better elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 150May 5, 2020 4:36 PM

Jodie Foster. Wooden and inexpressive.

by Anonymousreply 151May 5, 2020 4:42 PM

I'd also go with Sada Thompson. Fat, ugly and has a voice that sounds like she's sleepwalking.

by Anonymousreply 152May 5, 2020 4:42 PM

I found Sada’s character Kate in the television show FAMILY to be insufferably smug. Art imitating life?

by Anonymousreply 153May 5, 2020 4:49 PM

r153 = Andre's husband.

by Anonymousreply 154May 5, 2020 4:52 PM

Michael Caine. Except for perhaps in Sleuth, but that will be an exception. I'm not saying the man is not capable, I'm just saying he doesn't care.

by Anonymousreply 155May 5, 2020 4:54 PM

Was it supposed to be ironic on Family that Thompson's Kate was so uptight and sanctimonious, yet she had a daughter, Buddy played by McNichol, who was warm, funny, friendly and empathetic.

by Anonymousreply 156May 5, 2020 4:54 PM

How about when Kate thought she was pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 157May 5, 2020 5:00 PM

It turned out to be that pizza she ordered?

by Anonymousreply 158May 5, 2020 5:03 PM

I understand people finding Olivier extremely hammy but on stage they say he could be earthshaking. Read about him in Michael Blakemore's auto bio which I highly recommend if you love theater. In fact he has two-Arguments With England and Stage Blood(is there ever.) Both are very entertaining. It sounds like Sir Larry on stage could be one of the most incredible forces of nature you would ever want to see. Also he's impossibly beautiful in Wuthering Heights. Good looking actors today could never come close. In the past there were a few beautiful people who could act today there is no one.

Also Olivier in Carrie gives one of the greatest performances I've ever seen in an American film. But then he does The Prince and the Showgirl and you're thinking who told this guy he could act?

by Anonymousreply 159May 5, 2020 5:11 PM

"Also he's impossibly beautiful in Wuthering Heights. Good looking actors today could never come close."

Disagree, I think today's actors are better looking.

by Anonymousreply 160May 5, 2020 5:30 PM

Chris Evans and Chris Pine are much better looking, among others. Although Pine has been looking rough for awhile now.

by Anonymousreply 161May 5, 2020 6:00 PM

Errol Flynn, young Fredric March, Ronald Colman, Tyrone Power, Don Ameche, DL fave John Payne, Joel McCrea, Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, and others were very good-looking classic film stars. Plus there were some very cute male equivalents of starlets who were very hunky too.

by Anonymousreply 162May 5, 2020 6:14 PM

Don't think Fredric March or Don Ameche were anything special. To each his own, I guess

by Anonymousreply 163May 5, 2020 9:31 PM

Montgomery Clift was stunning, pre-1956.

by Anonymousreply 164May 5, 2020 9:37 PM

Jack Nicholson wins this contest easily. A no talent on screen and a total asshole in real life.

For some unknown reason, like early Johnny Depp, he's a darling of critics. Nicholson could film himself taking a huge, putrid shit and the critics would swoon at his creativity and "artistic vision."

by Anonymousreply 165May 5, 2020 9:43 PM

R165, I agree that he’s an asshole in real life, but Jack gave us some iconic performances in the early to mid 70s.

by Anonymousreply 166May 5, 2020 9:46 PM

Really you think there are better looking more talented actors today than Olivier in Wuthering Heights? You think there are more beautiful more talented actresses today than Oberon and Garbo? And then there are the classic French and Italian and Japanese actors which I can't even begin to name.

Could you give me some examples?

by Anonymousreply 167May 5, 2020 11:19 PM

Robert DeNiro. He’s been useless since 1985 at least.

by Anonymousreply 168May 5, 2020 11:22 PM

Chris Evans and Chris Pine r167.

by Anonymousreply 169May 5, 2020 11:25 PM

"Kate was so uptight and sanctimonious:

More Mommy issues. Obviously, you didn't watch the show, because Kate was neither. A standard-bearer? Sure. Tough on her kids? Sure. Why? Because she admitted in one episode she was a softie, and she didn't want her kids (and I paraphrase) melting her down to butter their biscuits. That's not only great parenting, but great writing as well. She was raised as a farm girl with all its attendant virtues of strength, resilience and moral compass. And for a woman who sired four children, Kate (in the person of Sada) was appropriately zaftig, quite attractive and possessed a rich, cultivated speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 170May 5, 2020 11:32 PM

If you think the superficial charms of either Chris surpasses Olivier's beauty, I pity you, truly.

by Anonymousreply 171May 5, 2020 11:34 PM

r167, Olivier was miscast in Wuthering Heights. He was good-looking but nothing special.

Oberon was a terrible actress. Name any actress who has won any acting award in the last 20 years, and they are more talented than she ever was.

Garbo was mannered and looked like a man in drag. Again, name any actress who won an acting award in the last 20 years, and they are more talented. Her thick accent limited the roles she could play and she was the same in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 172May 5, 2020 11:40 PM

Viola Davis

by Anonymousreply 173May 6, 2020 1:40 AM

Oberon was miscast as Kathy, but spot on as George Sand in that Technicolor campfest A SONG TO REMEMBER.

by Anonymousreply 174May 6, 2020 2:55 AM

R167: If we're talking only about beauty and not talent, then 1980s to early 90s Mel Gibson (before he became a roided out rage monster) was more beautiful than Olivier. Not only that, he was sexy. Olivier was fey and prissy in comparison and he didn't even match Paul Newman in looks.

I agree with you about today's actresses. The old studio system hired for beauty, then molded those starlets into polished stars. What we have now are unimpressive faces like Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, and Michelle Williams.

by Anonymousreply 175May 6, 2020 3:17 AM

R175: The Golden Age of Hollywood was about actors and actresses that had leading men/women looks. Today's stars look like slobs.

by Anonymousreply 176May 6, 2020 3:58 AM

Also the notion of star power or an actor's ability to bring people to theaters is over. An actor's star power has relatively little impact on a film's commercial success.

by Anonymousreply 177May 6, 2020 4:10 AM

R176: Did I say otherwise? My comment specifically addressed R167's questions.

Regarding looks: Golden Age Hollywood still cast average-looking to below average-looking actors like Van Johnson, Ernest Borgnine, Jane Wyman, and June Allyson in leading roles.

by Anonymousreply 178May 6, 2020 4:13 AM

Lupita Nyongo

by Anonymousreply 179May 6, 2020 4:13 AM

"The Golden Age of Hollywood was about actors and actresses that had leading men/women looks. Today's stars look like slobs."

No, a lot of the stars like Bogart and Cagney were less attractive than today's stars. You think George Clooney and Charlize Theron are ugly slobs? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 180May 6, 2020 4:21 AM

R134: He was so overacting at the end of Seven. He definitely wasn’t on Freeman and Spacey’s levels.

by Anonymousreply 181May 6, 2020 4:58 AM

All the Hemsworth brothers

by Anonymousreply 182May 6, 2020 5:00 AM

Doris Day was the same in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 183May 6, 2020 6:26 AM

Cagney had a ton of charisma though. There aren't that many stars around today with as much charisma as he had.

by Anonymousreply 184May 6, 2020 6:58 AM

R175, not true. Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Harlow, Ida Lupino, Fred Astaire and James Cagney and especially James Stewart were not conventionally good looking. Although they photographed well and had screen presence.

by Anonymousreply 185May 6, 2020 11:39 AM

Greta Garbo

by Anonymousreply 186May 6, 2020 11:48 AM

R185: Yes, it was true by the 1950s, which had beautiful leading ladies like Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Kim Novak, Dorothy Dandridge, etc. The 1960s continued this trend.

The women you listed had their heyday during the 1930s-40s. The studios' criteria for choosing female stars changed by the 1950s. Much of it had to do with a cultural shift after WWII, when soldiers returning home wanted women to be very feminine, accommodating, and domestic again, instead of the independent, tough-talking dames on movie screens before and during the war.

And I was only speaking of the women ("starlets"), not the men, if you had bothered to read closely. Male stars don't need to be pretty and that hasn't changed to this day.

by Anonymousreply 187May 6, 2020 12:11 PM

Paul Muni

by Anonymousreply 188May 6, 2020 12:48 PM

Another vote for Garbo. People have always gone on about her being the most beautiful, magnetic presence ever to grace the screen. Sorry, but I just don’t see it.

by Anonymousreply 189May 6, 2020 1:19 PM

I still haven’t figured out Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 190May 6, 2020 1:32 PM

I still haven’t figured out Timothee Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 191May 6, 2020 1:42 PM

I usually don't like Muni but in in the original Scarface(talk about an anti-hero) is incredible and that ending is a shocker. I couldn't believe they got away with it even in the pre code era. I asked a friend if this was in the remake and he said no.

by Anonymousreply 192May 6, 2020 2:46 PM

"Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, and Michelle Williams."

But for Scarlett, they and many others are cut from the Jean Arthur mode--Everywoman--but devoid of Arthur's distinctive speaking voice (actresses used to have those) and charm.

by Anonymousreply 193May 6, 2020 3:42 PM

Merritt Wever can step into the Jean Arthur role if she wants. MW has the easy charm, the intimacy, the playfulness, and distinctive delivery. My eyes are on Merritt.

by Anonymousreply 194May 6, 2020 3:47 PM

r193, Johansson has a distinct speaking voice.

But you can't really reason with the datalounge on this subject, they think any actor born before 1940 was a genius and drop dead gorgeous while any actor under 70 is horrible and ugly and not worth anyone's time.

by Anonymousreply 195May 6, 2020 3:58 PM

Florence Pugh

by Anonymousreply 196May 6, 2020 4:01 PM

I think Scarlet Johansson is a very good actress. Emma Stone was also very good in the Tonya Harding movie.

by Anonymousreply 197May 6, 2020 4:03 PM

Bradley Cooper

by Anonymousreply 198May 6, 2020 4:43 PM

Lupita was the black version of Jennifer Lawrence. The massively overhyped newcomer.

by Anonymousreply 199May 6, 2020 4:43 PM

Helen Mirren

by Anonymousreply 200May 6, 2020 4:44 PM

R187 you sound as smug as Sada Thompson. Can you die like her too? Hurry up.

by Anonymousreply 201May 6, 2020 5:04 PM

The Sada Thompson defender also claimed she had a good figure. That's all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 202May 6, 2020 5:08 PM

"[R193], Johansson has a distinct speaking voice"

Which is why I wrote "but for Scarlett."

Your charm, r201, is exceeded only by your compassion.

Obviously, r202 doesn't know his Yiddish.

by Anonymousreply 203May 6, 2020 5:43 PM

Natalie Portman has had flop after flop after flop. Audiences clearly aren't interested in her.

by Anonymousreply 204May 6, 2020 7:26 PM

How the press and celebrities and magazine covers love to remind us how amazing, cute, romantic, adorable and talented Kate Hudson is.

Kate's life might be a little messy and confusing because she's juggling pregnancy, magazine interviews, dating her newest celebrity boyfriends, babies, her celebrity family, mixed up dating connections, and her celebrity pals but Kate is still amazing, cute, romantic, adorable and talented.

I don't need to tell you that Kate won't be in any live performances, but when Kate's in a movie you can be assured that her character will be amazing and cute and romantic (although she won't have her life together because Kate's movie character will be juggling dating multiple boyfriends, her family, her job at the magazine, her friends and an upcoming wedding).

Did you see her in BRIDE WARS, or SOMETHING BORROWED or HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DATES or MY BEST FRIEND'S GIRL? Her movies often seem to include mixed up dating connections that don't get sorted out until the wedding because Kate has been juggling her family, career at the magazine, her friends and her multiple boyfriends.

She's cute, amazing and romantically messy, but Kate is still hideously overrated.

by Anonymousreply 205May 6, 2020 8:00 PM

Brie Larson and Gal Gadot

by Anonymousreply 206May 6, 2020 8:14 PM

Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender

by Anonymousreply 207May 6, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote]Emma Stone was also very good in the Tonya Harding movie.

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 208May 6, 2020 9:23 PM

R185/R201: Awww, is the mental midget upset now? How thin-skinned you are.

You decided to respond to my comment first, thinking you could smugly correct me when you know jackshit. And like all dimwits who can't back themselves up after they're revealed to be misinformed, you resorted to a petty little attack instead. So banal and expected.

Run along now to your echo chamber, brat. You're wasting everybody's time.

by Anonymousreply 209May 7, 2020 12:18 AM

I wish Kate Hudson would take some risks and do some more interesting roles. I usually like her best when she's in something a bit different like Almost Famous or The Skeleton Key. She's very good in those where she's not playing the cutesy lead of a rom com. Reese Witherspoon got into this trap for a while after Legally Blonde where she went from being an actress with wonderful taste in offbeat projects to being a person whose very presence in a movie meant it would be terrible to mediocre. No wonder she lobbied for Gone Girl so hard. She probably realized she'd made a mistake selling out and doing rom coms, saw that genre was dying off and she wasn't getting any younger, and tried to return to her character actress roots. She's much better when she's giving a part with a little edge. I'm glad she returned to that with Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 210May 7, 2020 12:26 AM

I have some filmmaker friends (really artsy fartsy types) who think Kristen Stewart and Rooney Mara are the epitome of brilliant acting. They love them because it looks like they're doing so little on screen, which they find more realistic. I'll admit that their range of emotions are very believable to a characters who are on the spectrum, angsty, or a serial killer, but that's all they can play.

by Anonymousreply 211May 7, 2020 12:28 AM

R211 Rooney Mara probably has Aspergers.

by Anonymousreply 212May 7, 2020 12:34 AM

Margot Robbie was fantastic in La La Land R197

by Anonymousreply 213May 7, 2020 12:42 AM

I seriously doubt Rooney Mara has Asperger's.

And I thought she was good in Carol.

by Anonymousreply 214May 7, 2020 1:09 AM

And The Help, R213.

by Anonymousreply 215May 7, 2020 2:08 AM

Daniel Day Lewis. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 216May 7, 2020 4:59 AM

[quote]Natalie Portman has had flop after flop after flop. Audiences clearly aren't interested in her.

In a few years, she'll probably go down the Reese Witherspoon route and will work on mini-series shows for cable or streaming.

by Anonymousreply 217May 7, 2020 5:07 AM

R203, you’re still posting. Die, already.

Please. Charming enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 218May 7, 2020 2:18 PM

Zen-fucking-daya

by Anonymousreply 219May 7, 2020 5:47 PM

Amy Adams wins this thread.

by Anonymousreply 220May 8, 2020 1:31 AM

Jamie Foxx

by Anonymousreply 221May 8, 2020 3:49 AM

I can't get past Bradley Cooper's vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 222May 8, 2020 6:15 AM

Greta Gerwig.

by Anonymousreply 223May 8, 2020 6:18 AM

I don’t get how Anna Kendrick made it so big. She’s not a particularly good actress. She’s also very average looking.

by Anonymousreply 224May 8, 2020 1:06 PM

I’m still trying to see what is so earth shattering about Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 225May 8, 2020 1:12 PM

Michelle Williams

by Anonymousreply 226May 8, 2020 3:14 PM

Jessica Chastain

by Anonymousreply 227May 8, 2020 3:20 PM

Tom Hanks. Overrated beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 228May 8, 2020 3:23 PM

Being a good movie actor is not about being different in every role or disappearing into a role, it's about wrapping your own personality around a role. Those post-method actors decided that they should have no personality, though they do/did, it was more subtle than the old school Clark Gable type of acting. But the fact is, no one had a personality as grand as Gable.

Why does this matter? It matters when someone like director Sydney Pollack putting his bud "I'm not really acting" dull Robert Redford as a lead in Out of Africa. That movie needed a big personality like Clark Gable's

by Anonymousreply 229May 8, 2020 3:27 PM

Julianne Moore

by Anonymousreply 230May 8, 2020 4:04 PM

Greta Gerwig is mediocre. She continues to push Timothee Chalamet onto us which is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 231May 8, 2020 5:25 PM

R229 has a point. You see interviews with a lot of these newer actors as they're as dull as they can be. Watch someone like Bette Davis or Debbie Reynolds or one of the old school pros and they're a killer interview. Full of life and energy and always telling great stories.

While I think you should try to present yourself as differently as possible with each role, unless it's the role of some quiet wallflower, give it a little life. The way actors mumble and whisper their lines these days bothers me. It's like they think those are the only people who exist on this planet. I'd say at least 60 to 70% of people I've met are loud as hell when they talk to you. When actors do this, I just immediately think their characters are depressed or on the verge of killing themselves. That can work for certain characters (which is why, every now and then, one of these actors scores a great part that makes good use of their style), but when that's how they are in every movie, they just become boring.

by Anonymousreply 232May 8, 2020 6:18 PM

Not sure if Jason Robards was or wasn't overly talented OP, but he certainly was well-endowed. I took a leak next to him once at Lincoln Center and he pulled a snake out of his pants.

by Anonymousreply 233May 8, 2020 6:25 PM

Thank you, R232. But Debbie Reynolds???

by Anonymousreply 234May 8, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote] I took a leak next to him once at Lincoln Center and he pulled a snake out of his pants.

All wasted because he was too drunk to get it up. I wanted dick not diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 235May 8, 2020 7:21 PM

Bette Davis was probably the best of all the movie stars when it came to being interviewed. She was always interesting to listen to. Go on Youtube and watch her with Dick Cavett or Johnny Carson, she was wonderful on talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 236May 8, 2020 8:22 PM

Redford was cast in OUT OF AFRICA for boxoffice, period. Streep was not considered a real draw then, and to be frank, she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 237May 8, 2020 11:28 PM

The first time Streep had a film that was box-office by herself alone (and it was a rarity) was "The River Wild".

by Anonymousreply 238May 9, 2020 12:03 AM

I would argue that Julie and Julia’s BO was based on M alone and the positive buzz she got for her fun performance as J Child. Nobody went to that movie to see Amy Fucking Adams.

by Anonymousreply 239May 9, 2020 12:07 AM

Another vote for Kate Hepburn and for Frederic March.

I agree with poster upthread that comparing the big "personality" studio actors of the 1930s-1940s isn't an equivalency. And those personality actors often gave very fine performances within the framework of their famous personas.

Cagney is a good example. His persona was instantly recognisable, but you wouldn't say he couldn't act after seeing him in "The Roaring Twenties" or "White Heat" (Made it Mom! Top of the World!).

Today's actors are supposed to be "real actors". Many, like Cumberbatch, are well trained and competent but hardly extraordinary. Andrew Scott, who played Moriarty on the Sherlock series that put Cumberbatch on the map, is by far the more compelling actor.

"Hideously Overrated . . . "

De Niro (disappointing later career)

Redford (never gave a single performance the equal of Newman's in, say, "Hud")

Paul Muni

Orson Welles

by Anonymousreply 240May 9, 2020 12:13 AM

Fredric March was one of the greats, a real chameleon from one role to the next, especially if you watch from his early films on. Katharine Hepburn most of the time played herself, though as Alice Adams she did manage to appear like she wasn't an upper-class snob for once. She's also very good in "Little Women" and a few others, but most of the time she was some variation of "the calla-[fuckin]'-lillies are in bloom again".

by Anonymousreply 241May 9, 2020 12:51 AM

[quote]Julianne Moore

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 242May 9, 2020 12:58 AM

241, I agree about Fredric March. If anything, he was underrated.

by Anonymousreply 243May 9, 2020 1:00 AM

Idina Menzel

by Anonymousreply 244May 9, 2020 1:23 AM

R237, Redford was not box office in 1986. Though that may have been lost on Sidney Pollack and financial backers.

by Anonymousreply 245May 9, 2020 2:06 AM

His previous movie (The Natural) was a box office hit.

by Anonymousreply 246May 9, 2020 2:09 AM

That was two years earlier and he was only a overly bleached blond of 48.

by Anonymousreply 247May 9, 2020 2:13 AM

I can't remember her name but maybe you know her. A mannish bony thing that still manages to have very large hips and bottom, and she has worked in assorted murder-and-male-drag movies. Her.

She must be called hideously overrated by someone, at least, because she has managed to get some work against all odds. And it can't possibly be the casting couch effect, for heaven's sake.

by Anonymousreply 248May 9, 2020 2:17 AM

Katharine Hepburn's intelligence, skill and presentation made up for any suggestion that she was "always the same," itself a ridiculous claim for anyone who has seen her various comedic, tragic, melodramatic and absurdist work. It's just lazily "clever" for people to toss stones at the unassailable.

And Fredric March in "Long Day's Journey into Night" (with Hepburn) made up for any other issues his career had.

The suggestion that "today's actors" are supposed to be this or that is temporally parochial to the point of naive arrogance. Since Elizabethan and Jacobean times, the documentary evidence from the past and the experience of the extant work from film and stage have shown the consistency in both "personality" players and "character" players both being part of successful or extraordinary work. Also, many actors combine the traits of both "types" and even move between them. Few actors are so consistent as a persona that they can be picked up and dropped whole into any suitable part with the expectation of identical presentation. Finally, retrograde tendencies can apply, in which gifted actors tire out, succumb to bad habits or coast. John Barrymore made a late career of being "Barrymore" in a self-lacerating manner, while reviews of his early stage work set him as a tremendous interpreter in both classical and contemporary works.

So being dichotomous is unhelpful. And dismissing the power of personality or known-persona performers and performances misrepresents the job of acting, which is to convey an intended interpretation in a manner that appropriately supports the whole of the production in theme, plot, and human meaning. Range is meaningless unless a specific range is necessary in a specific performance.

Next we can address the fact that in the right role in the right vehicle a hideously overrated actor can be exactly what is needed.

by Anonymousreply 249May 9, 2020 2:39 AM

For me, "hideously overrated" means people who get or have gotten work because of a presumed capacity I do not see, and whose performances get in the way of a successful production.

Helen Hayes. In everything I've seen on screen or television. I never saw her on the stage.

Laurence Olivier. His pride intruded in every performance I've seen him do, again in movies or TV. He was diverting, intelligent, committed and clever, but for me he was the worst kind of personality actor - he always drew attention to the fact that it was Larry the Great behind the technique and puttied nose.

Paul Muni, Mary Martin Kirk Douglas, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Cherry Jones, Nehemiah Person, Paltrow, Natalie Portman, Ben Affleck.

For me overrated = inauthentic. They don't deliver what they should because something of their ego gets in the way and twists the job. It's more than mere lack of craft. Often, craft is distorted to set the ego before you.

by Anonymousreply 250May 9, 2020 2:58 AM

Ralph Richardson was Hepburn's co-star in "Long Day's Journey into Night". March played the role on stage. with his wife, Florence Eldridge.

by Anonymousreply 251May 9, 2020 3:03 AM

Lupita Nyongo

by Anonymousreply 252May 9, 2020 3:22 AM

Christian Bale

by Anonymousreply 253May 9, 2020 4:13 AM

Nobody rates Ben Affleck, so how can he be overrated?

by Anonymousreply 254May 9, 2020 4:13 AM

No one thinks Ben Affleck is any good, except maybe Jen Garner who licked his ass and worshiped him for more than a decade.

by Anonymousreply 255May 9, 2020 6:24 PM

^ Photos?

by Anonymousreply 256May 9, 2020 6:38 PM

I get why people think March a great actor. Personally, when watching him, I could never see or hear anything but Frederick March - he was very skillful but that was the problem, for me: I always felt as if I were watching a very skillful actor who never quite lost himself in the part.

The only time I found him genuinely moving was in "The Best Years of Our Lives".

by Anonymousreply 257May 10, 2020 12:09 AM

Nothing Sacred is great: that's my favorite March performance, he's wonderful working with Carole Lombard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258May 10, 2020 12:18 AM

Bradley Cooper has good hair, something not all men have after the age of 40.

by Anonymousreply 259May 10, 2020 12:28 AM

Love Jean Arthur... She would have been my favourite actress if I'd only seen those Capra movies that she made.

by Anonymousreply 260May 10, 2020 12:31 AM

Fredric March was also kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 261May 10, 2020 4:28 AM

R261, Veronica Lake said he was a pompous ass in her autobiography and on The Dick Cavett Show.

by Anonymousreply 262May 10, 2020 1:05 PM

Can somebody please explain Ed Norton to me? I've only seen him in two films, one of which was unbearable Stone, and to me he seems like an first year college drama student overacting. Totally overrated imho.

by Anonymousreply 263May 10, 2020 1:11 PM

Richard Madden

by Anonymousreply 264May 10, 2020 1:11 PM

Emma Watson. I am not impressed by her...

by Anonymousreply 265May 10, 2020 3:25 PM

R265: How she still gets roles is beyond me...

by Anonymousreply 266May 10, 2020 3:30 PM

She’s so bland r266, another tiresome variation of the UK ingenue, a la Keira Knightley, Michelle Ryan, Emilia Clarke, et al...

by Anonymousreply 267May 10, 2020 4:05 PM

R261 Fredric March had a pretty hot shower scene in "The Royal Famly of Broadway", a pre-code film, too. Around 1:30 in clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 10, 2020 4:54 PM

R263 - Totally disagree. Norton has given several stunning performances:

"25th Hour"

"American History X"

"Rounders" (I thought he wiped the floor with Matt Damon)

the little known but excellent and sad indie, "Down in the Valley"

lastly, a really fine performance as the vengeful cuckolded English bacteriologist in a remake of "The Painted Veil", based on Maugham's tale

One thing Norton has never been is typecast.

by Anonymousreply 269May 10, 2020 7:39 PM

Weirdly enough, Toby Jones was sexier in The Painted Veil than Edward Norton. It's a nice little movie.

by Anonymousreply 270May 10, 2020 7:42 PM

I too think Robards’s ex is pretty awful. And all that boozing and smoking aged her fast.

by Anonymousreply 271May 10, 2020 8:44 PM

R265, R266, & R267: Totally agree.

She was cast in a musical, but she can't sing. She has played American characters several times, but she can't do a convincing accent.

She's not that talented, so it seems Harry Potter name recognition still opens doors for her.

by Anonymousreply 272May 11, 2020 1:18 AM

In the end, there's really no absolute objective measure of a performer's quality other than whether they can or can't handle the roles they're given. A lot of it just comes down to personal and cultural preferences. I always think of the1953 film version of "Julius Caesar" featuring John Gielgud, James Mason and Marlon Brando. I think both Gielgud (one of the most prized Shakespearean actors of his time) and Mason (a popular film star very well thought of in Hollywood but whom nobody in the UK theater establishment would have thought was any great shakes), were both excellent in their own ways, while Brando (at that time arguably the hottest actor in the US, both in terms of box office and artistic respectability) was completely out of his element and gave a terrible performance. Then again I never liked Brando, but always had a soft spot for Mason and Gielgud never failed to knock my socks off artistically in anything I've ever seen him in. So...it comes down to what works and what doesn't, for the project at hand and for the individual viewer.

by Anonymousreply 273May 11, 2020 1:27 AM

Oh, come on, Brando holds his own in his own idiosyncratic way in JC, especially on the Capitol steps.

by Anonymousreply 274May 11, 2020 2:44 AM

Not bad at all r268. Not that toned but good legs.

by Anonymousreply 275May 11, 2020 3:54 PM

Will Smith(wouldn't even call him an actor) Leonardo Brad Pitt

by Anonymousreply 276May 11, 2020 4:01 PM

Not a fan of Smith’s. His performance is ALI was really bad. More like an impersonation than a tribute to Ali. He looked hot though. I just find him limited as an actor. Not much depth. Like George Clooney. I was even more unimpressed with him in SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION.

by Anonymousreply 277May 11, 2020 4:30 PM

R273 R274 - I'll offer a middle of the road take on that excellent Julius Caesar:

I don't think Brando was awful, in fact, considering the cast he was part of, I was surprised at how well he did.

That said, I do think the gap between him and Gielgud, Mason, and come to it, Calherne (Caesar) was evident, and comes down to tradition and/or training. Mason wasn't formally trained, but did a great deal of stock theatre before becoming so well known for film work. The whole tradition of navigating the crossover between literature and performance in the UK is still very strong, although I'm not sure how long it will hold up in the post-modern era, when so much is visual and audible, and the printed word has lost so much value.

Calhern was also primarily a stage actor for quite awhile before returning to film. You learn a different craft on stage than on film, and when the two genres are blended in filmed Shakespeare, interesting things can happen, and the gaps in one or another's skills get highlighted.

Brando, however, left the live stage very early soon after his early success in "Streetcar".

When Brando had to put it over a crowd he had to scream. The others were either taught or learned in years in theatre real voice projection. That was one difference.

For all Brando's star power, for me, the relationship between Brutus and Cassius, served up by experienced hands, carried the film

For what it's worth, here are Brando's comments on American realist theater and film (Stanislavski), and Shakespeare:

"This school of acting served the American theater and motion pictures well, but it was restricting. The American theater has never been able to present Shakespeare or classical drama of any kind satisfactorily. We simply do not have the style, the regard for the language or the cultural disposition ... You cannot mumble in Shakespeare. You cannot improvise, and you are required to adhere strictly to the text. The English theater has a sense of language that we do not recognize ... In the United States the English language has developed almost into a patois."

by Anonymousreply 278May 11, 2020 6:43 PM

I've always felt Maggie Smith had the same ridiculous tone to everything she does. Unlike Vanessa Redgrave, she can't transform herself.

by Anonymousreply 279May 11, 2020 6:56 PM

Try watching early Maggie Smith in Shakespeare or in a basically British Goldie Hawn goofball role in the delightful "Hot Millions". She's very different.

by Anonymousreply 280May 11, 2020 7:16 PM

R280, Watch Maggie Smith in "The V.I.P.s".

by Anonymousreply 281May 11, 2020 9:21 PM

Ben Platt

by Anonymousreply 282May 11, 2020 9:47 PM

R279 - Then you haven't watched Maggie Smith in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie". Or seen her as Desdemona in Olivier's filmed "Othello". Or, as poster upthead mentioned, as the dedicated secretary in "The VIP.".

by Anonymousreply 283May 11, 2020 10:42 PM

I saw her as Desdemona. The last thing that play needs is two Emilias.

by Anonymousreply 284May 11, 2020 11:36 PM

R284 - We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

by Anonymousreply 285May 12, 2020 12:06 AM

Two words: Darren Criss

by Anonymousreply 286May 15, 2020 4:50 AM

Nicole Kidman's long career has been an eternal mystery for me.

by Anonymousreply 287May 16, 2020 9:56 PM

R287 - She managed to hit some goals periodically - To Die For, The Hours, The Others, Portrait of a Lady (and, I suppose, Eyes Wide Shut, despite it being a dire script) - between long stretches of forgettable films.

by Anonymousreply 288May 16, 2020 11:04 PM

When Kidman is on, she's brilliant, but I feel like she lets her wigs do most of the acting for her in most of her movies. She wants so hard to be a character actress. At least she tries. I'll take someone like her any day over some washed up former beauty with no talent still trying to play the hot ingenue at 56.

by Anonymousreply 289May 16, 2020 11:12 PM

She started to get real attention and fine reviews for "To Die For", and she was fine, but the one that I thought she was terrific was "Malice" with Alec Baldwin, which had some great plot twists. It's seldom seen nowadays, but I recall it and she were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 290May 17, 2020 12:05 AM

Jennifer Aniston. I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 291May 17, 2020 2:58 PM

R291: She owes it all to Brad. She can't act.

by Anonymousreply 292May 17, 2020 9:49 PM

Aniston falls back on her signature move: exasperation with hair.

by Anonymousreply 293May 18, 2020 12:02 PM

I heard she was good in Cak.

by Anonymousreply 294May 18, 2020 4:34 PM

CAK! CAK! CAK!

by Anonymousreply 295May 18, 2020 4:37 PM

I want CAK!!!

by Anonymousreply 296May 18, 2020 6:09 PM

Michelle Williams

by Anonymousreply 297May 20, 2020 5:28 PM

Jessica Chastain

by Anonymousreply 298May 20, 2020 5:30 PM

Julianne Moore.

by Anonymousreply 299May 20, 2020 8:23 PM

R299 - Have to disagree with you on Moore. I thought she was fine in The End of the Affair, and Far From Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 300May 20, 2020 11:46 PM

Leonardo DiCaprio

by Anonymousreply 301May 21, 2020 2:11 AM

Greta Gerwig

by Anonymousreply 302May 21, 2020 3:36 AM

I agree with Nicole Kidman. I just don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 303May 21, 2020 4:48 AM

Agree with R300. I think she's talented. In most cases, not all, but most, Julianne Moore disappears into the character.

by Anonymousreply 304May 21, 2020 1:35 PM

Katharine Hepburn - not much range. Interesting for about 10 years and then always annoying.

by Anonymousreply 305May 21, 2020 1:37 PM

Mindy Kaling.

by Anonymousreply 306May 21, 2020 2:22 PM

What R301 said. I.don't.get.it

by Anonymousreply 307May 21, 2020 3:29 PM

Debra Winger. She was considered for almost every major movie project during her high point and I just can't see the attraction.

by Anonymousreply 308May 21, 2020 3:38 PM

Margot Robbie, Michelle Williams, and Adam Driver.

by Anonymousreply 309May 21, 2020 4:03 PM

Billy Eichner

by Anonymousreply 310May 22, 2020 12:52 AM

Adam Driver

by Anonymousreply 311May 22, 2020 6:51 PM

Ruby Keeler owns this thread.

Couldn't sing, act, or dance her way out of a paper bag; became a star, did the smart thing and retired early.

by Anonymousreply 312May 22, 2020 7:46 PM

R312, And made a major comeback in the 1970s in No, No, Nanette on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 313May 22, 2020 10:20 PM

JUNE ALLYSON owns this thread, R312.

Couldn't sing, act, or dance her way out of a paper bag; became a star, did the dumb thing and kept going on and on until she was selling adult diapers.

by Anonymousreply 314May 22, 2020 10:35 PM

R314: And Allyson was average in the looks department. No talent. No beauty. Meh personality. I guess people back then easily bought into that fake wholesome bullshit she was selling.

by Anonymousreply 315May 22, 2020 10:46 PM

R313 - It was camp all the way and part of the reason she was greeted with so much affection is because everyone knew she'd had no talent, and she'd made it clear she knew it, too.

What a self-mocking lady can get away with four decades later is different. No one expected her at that age to be singing well or dancing well.

by Anonymousreply 316May 22, 2020 10:46 PM

R314 - I have to agree, I still haven't figured out how June Allyson got to be a film star.

Her modern equivalent would be Andie MacDowell, with all those gums showing when she smiles and that flat voice and no ability to project anything, anything at all.

by Anonymousreply 317May 22, 2020 10:49 PM

June Allyson denied rumors of nymphomania for years.

When Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis first went to Hollywood, they had torrid affairs with June Allyson(Dean) and Gloria De Haven(Jerry), though both men were married with children.

Hedda Hopper threatened to expose them and the affairs ended.

by Anonymousreply 318May 22, 2020 10:57 PM

Though both men were married with children? Is this a surprise to you, R308, or are you trying to teach us?

R317, I couldn't either. I asked my mother once, and she said Allyson was supposed to be "cute."

by Anonymousreply 319May 22, 2020 11:04 PM

Sorry, this should have been directed toward R318"

Though both men were married with children? Is this a surprise to you, or are you trying to teach us?

by Anonymousreply 320May 22, 2020 11:05 PM

R320, It was the early 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 321May 23, 2020 12:08 AM

R312 Ruby Keeler also got a big boost by marrying Al Jolson; she apparently had misgivings in doing so, but her father told her to do it for the sake of her career. Jolson had connections and was crazy about her at the time. Keeler did have charm, but had a habit of looking at her feet while she danced and pummeling the floor really hard when she tapped as though she were hitting the floor with steel rods. Part of her stardom, mainly during the Depression, was the fact that she gave off the vibe that if she could do it and become a star, the average person with minimal talent could possibly, possibly become a star, too. "No, No, Nanette" brought back that nostalgia but it was more affection for the Busby Berkley films, and that while their musical numbers were great, she starred in them (however limited her talent was ). It was a singular comeback and didn't otherwise revitalize her career after she did the show.

The reason for the stardom of both June Allyson and Van Johnson really eludes me. They were ok; Johnson had a war injury which kept him out of the war (though it was covered with expert makeup), so he was among the limited supply of young men available to act in films during WWII. Allyson was an average dancer, had a nice smile, with a weird throaty voice. She was even dubbed after she was star in a couple of her numbers in "The Opposite Sex" rather than find a way to give powerhouse singer more to sing than the opening credits. I remember when Allyson's name came up in the credits for a movie showing at the late, lamented Regency movie revival house, a portion of the audience booed. Oh, she also stole DIck Powell from Joan Blondell (and both she and Allyson were in "The Opposite Sex", too). Wonder what that set was like!

by Anonymousreply 322May 23, 2020 12:21 AM

rather than give powerhouse singer Dolores Gray, that is

by Anonymousreply 323May 23, 2020 12:23 AM

R322, That was not a war injury. He was involved in a severe car accident that resulted in surgeons piecing his skull back together, leaving a visible scar on his forehead that makeup could not fully cover.

by Anonymousreply 324May 23, 2020 12:37 AM

R321, when were you born? 2001?

by Anonymousreply 325May 23, 2020 1:54 AM

Van Johnson has the I Love Lucy episode so his name will live on. He's quite charming in it and Lucy is at her best in the dance sequence.

by Anonymousreply 326May 23, 2020 2:03 AM

June Allyson seemed a tad unhinged . . .

Dick Powell and June Allyson divorced in 1961, the reason being Powell's devotion to work. In February 1961 she was awarded $2.5 million in settlement, along with custody of their children. They reconciled and remained married until his death on January 2, 1963.

This prompted Allyson to start drinking heavily. In 1963 she was going to elope with Powell's barber, Glenn Maxwell, but decided against it. She and Maxwell would get married and divorced, then married and divorced again.

She also went through a bitter court battle with her mother over custody of the children she had with Powell.

by Anonymousreply 327May 23, 2020 3:40 AM

I liked Ruby Keeler. She had spunk.

by Anonymousreply 328May 23, 2020 4:34 AM

I hate spunk!

by Anonymousreply 329May 23, 2020 5:45 AM

R328 - Careful about the use of the word "spunk", which means something quite other to us Brits.

by Anonymousreply 330May 23, 2020 12:16 PM

Laura Dern is hideously overrated. Any success she’s had is the result of nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 331May 23, 2020 4:24 PM

Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 332May 23, 2020 4:40 PM

June Allyson = Ella Geisman, Catholic girl from the Bronx. As a child, Allyson fractured her skull and back in an accident. No wonder she wasn't "all there."

by Anonymousreply 333May 23, 2020 4:41 PM

Laura Dern was phenomenal in Smooth Talk. So much so that Joyce Carol Oats said that as a writer, she made up the idea in her head that Dern was the inspiration for the character. That's how close she was to her ideal.

by Anonymousreply 334May 23, 2020 5:18 PM

Jim Parsons

by Anonymousreply 335May 23, 2020 5:39 PM

You think Dern has had a successful 35 year career purely because of nepotism?

by Anonymousreply 336May 23, 2020 5:48 PM

R336: Yes.

by Anonymousreply 337May 23, 2020 6:07 PM

That's why all kids of famous people are Oscar winners who've been doing successful work for 35 years! Oh, wait....

by Anonymousreply 338May 23, 2020 6:22 PM

A three time Oscar nominee and one time winner, coming last year, really speaks about Dern and her longevity.

by Anonymousreply 339May 23, 2020 6:48 PM

Rami Malek

by Anonymousreply 340May 24, 2020 2:17 PM

Jessica Chastain

by Anonymousreply 341May 25, 2020 6:14 PM

HATED and DESPISED June Allyson. She was the Susan Richardson of MGM.

by Anonymousreply 342May 25, 2020 11:04 PM

You're late, R342.

by Anonymousreply 343May 25, 2020 11:09 PM

Marty Ingels negotiated June's deal with Depends, but he had to take her to court after June tried to deny him his rightful commission.

by Anonymousreply 344May 25, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote]Two words: Darren Criss

Who here has overrated him? He's mediocre, most of us know that.

by Anonymousreply 345May 25, 2020 11:25 PM

He won an Emmy and a bunch of awards he didn't deserve

by Anonymousreply 346May 25, 2020 11:39 PM

R346, So did Candice Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 347May 25, 2020 11:56 PM

R346: Even after the Emmy, nobody in the industry except Ryan Murphy gives a shit about him.

by Anonymousreply 348May 30, 2020 6:24 AM

Is it harder to be a shitty stage actor than a shitty film actor? Which is more forgiving?

by Anonymousreply 349May 30, 2020 1:17 PM

Rami Malek

by Anonymousreply 350June 5, 2020 6:57 PM

In order to see the range of Cate Blanchett, you need to see "Manifesto", which is a collection of 13 short vignettes in which she plays every type of character imaginable: from a glamorous anchorwoman to an elderly homeless man.

You know who is REALLY overrated as an actor? Robert Redford.

by Anonymousreply 351June 5, 2020 7:27 PM

Benedict Cumberbatch. He's good, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 352June 5, 2020 10:02 PM

Is it wrong to suggest that Jack Nicholson is hideously overrated because he only seems to be able to play irreverent condescending yet charming (and potentially dangerous) scoundrels who charms women who aren't initially interested in him?

by Anonymousreply 353June 6, 2020 1:44 AM

Cumberbatch is excellent at playing ice-cold upper-class pricks, but that's all he can really do. He has no other range.

by Anonymousreply 354June 6, 2020 3:52 AM

Frederic March is also excellent in THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, based on Paddy Chayefsky's play, about a romance between an older man and younger woman.

Unfortunately, the woman is played by the hapless Kim Novak, who tries hard but isn't up to the task. A young Gena Rowlands played the role onstage.

by Anonymousreply 355June 6, 2020 6:45 PM

I always thought Nancy Marchand was first runner up to Sada Thompson in the Miss Creep Ugly pageant.

by Anonymousreply 356June 6, 2020 7:13 PM

[quote]You know who is REALLY overrated as an actor? Robert Redford.

Bless you r351. Have my babies. He is a cipher onscreen. And seemingly more concerned about his image as a matinee idol. He made ORDINARY PEOPLE work as a director, but he is nothing to me onscreen. His leading ladies always overshadow him.

by Anonymousreply 357June 7, 2020 1:26 AM

It's been said that Barbara Stanwyck reduced June Allyson to tears on the set of EXECUTIVE SUITE because she showed up late for her scenes and couldn't remember her lines. I can see Miss Stanwyck now, dykier than Amsterdam, making June whimper and flee. They were both from Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 358June 7, 2020 1:49 AM

Redford was good early in his career in films like INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, BAREFOOT IN THE PARK and THE CANDIDATE. And I like him in BUTCH CASSIDY, even though Newman overshadows him. He's good in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN too, if only to keep up with Hoffman. But most of the time, he's treading water.

by Anonymousreply 359June 11, 2020 9:22 PM

R359, He pretty much played himself in "The Way We Were" and held his own against Newman in "The Sting".

by Anonymousreply 360June 12, 2020 12:09 AM

Ok I'll be the one. I like June Allyson. She wasn't especially "wholesome", there were a lot of actresses who were like that - June Haver, Jeanne Crain. June usually talked back. She was (wait for it) spunky. She was cute and being bi I have to say, she had sex appeal. That's all. If you hate her, oh well.

by Anonymousreply 361July 26, 2020 7:20 PM

The main actor I have always found overrated is Alec Guinness. Don't think he's bad and don't hate him, but not as great as his reputation. Sophia Loren also. Though I like her too.

by Anonymousreply 362July 26, 2020 7:24 PM

All great performers have their limitations. No one can play EVERY part. We all have to work with what we've got.

by Anonymousreply 363July 26, 2020 7:27 PM

Rooney Mara has an Oscar nomination and I don't get it. I haven't liked her in anything I've seen her in. I always want to slap her and tell her to perk up and smile. She's one note misery from start to finish.

On the other hand, I can't understand why everyone hates Anne Hathaway so much. She can be a little try hard as a person, but I've liked her in everything I've seen her in and she appears to have some range.

by Anonymousreply 364July 26, 2020 8:32 PM

I a×lways loved Jason Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 365July 26, 2020 8:37 PM

R365, Oh my fucking dear!

by Anonymousreply 366July 26, 2020 8:40 PM

Natalie Wood. Damned horrible dramatic actress.

by Anonymousreply 367August 6, 2020 12:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!