Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Costars who hated each other-And it showed

Costars hate each other all the time, that's not new. But they can usually pull it together long enough to pretend in front of the cameras. Any examples of costars who weren't professional or talented enough to disguise their contempt for their costar?

I imagine this happens on soaps a lot where they aren't the best actors and they don't have time to screw around, they have to get thru their scenes on schedule. And not exactly the same thing but co-hosts/anchors seem to hate each other a lot too and since they aren't actors they aren't as good at hiding it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600April 2, 2021 9:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]I imagine this happens on soaps a lot where they aren't the best actors and they don't have time to screw around, they have to get thru their scenes on schedule.

I wonder whether the actors who have to work with Michelle Stafford can't wait for their scenes to be over. Or Jabottom.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2020 1:48 PM

Darren Criss and Chris Colfer. Who thought this pairing was a good idea? They had no chemistry and they clearly couldn’t stand each other.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2020 1:49 PM

That cunt Miss Margulies and Archie.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2020 2:17 PM

Jim Backus and Joan Davis on the set of “I Married Joan.”

Joan Davis was DESPISED. I love the stories about her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2020 2:25 PM

Never saw the movie, nor read the book, but definitely heard about nepotism girl, Dakota and that Irish actor, Jamie something or other, hating on each other.

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2020 2:30 PM

Donna Mills and Tonya Crowe hated each other.

One day during an especially fraught scene Tonya screamed at Donna "I hate working with you, you cunt" and Donna screamed back "I wish Abby had had an abortion".

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2020 2:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2020 2:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2020 2:50 PM

Everyone should have guessed all was not well on the set of Sex and the City when they sent Samantha off to LA in the first movie so the other girls didn't have to interact with her as much.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2020 2:55 PM

R10, there were rumors for years they didn't get along.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2020 3:10 PM

Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte - I Love Trouble

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2020 3:20 PM

Meryl Streep and Charles Dance

Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman

Burt Reynolds and Kathleen Turner

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2020 3:32 PM

R11: There’s no denying it now. Kim was the real star of the show. She was the most talented of the girls, she made the show funny, and people watched because of her. Horse face was filled envy. Kim thought she should paid equally with horse face and couldn’t stand that she was the face of the show and movies.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2020 3:33 PM

William Baldwin and Sharon Stone – Sliver

There wasn’t a sliver of chemistry or talent between the two of them in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2020 3:33 PM

R14, I loved how Sarah claimed she was "surprised" on Watch What Happens Live when Andy brought up that Kim said they were never friends. I don't understand why what Kim said is so "shocking"--people aren't friends with most of their coworkers, why would acting be any different?

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2020 3:36 PM

Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel

Jason Statham and Kevin Hart

Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2020 3:40 PM

Bette Davis and Joan Crawford

Bette Davis and Faye Dunaway

James Franco and Henry Cavill

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2020 3:44 PM

Roy Rodgers and his horse. True story. The horse wanted top billing. When Roy heard about this he exclaimed “horseshit!” And horse did shit..... right in Roy’s trailer.

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2020 3:56 PM

Eve Plumb and Maureen McCormick completely ignore each other (around 4:00):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2020 4:02 PM

[quote]James Franco and Henry Cavill

What? Why?

When did these two work together and what could have been their problem?

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2020 4:05 PM

R21, bad anal experience. Or smegma.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2020 4:10 PM

This funny video about Ryan Reynolds and Betty White not getting along cracks me up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2020 4:14 PM

Teri Hatcher and pretty much everyone else on Desperate Housewives

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2020 4:17 PM

Bill Murray and many people he's worked with. Same for Chevy Chase.

by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2020 4:19 PM

I don't know if they truly hated each other, But Kirk Douglas (in his first movie) disliked Barbara Stanwyck for ignoring him off camera in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. I need to hear the entire story in Vol 2 of Victoria Wilson's bio if I'm still alive when it comes out. I have a feeling that not everyone was fond of Stanwyck or her "one of the boys" reputation. I think her being dismissive of Douglas is obvious beyond the role. Then again the whole thing could be just a male ego that can't take being ignored by the star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2020 4:41 PM

If Debra Winger and Shirley McClaine hated each other it added to the tense relationship Emma and Aurora had onscreen and it made the movie better than just a saccharin sweet tearjerker.

by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2020 4:51 PM

R20, Jenny McCartney's face looks like it got run over by a steamroller. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 28May 2, 2020 4:58 PM

R22, smegma has always bedeviled the Francos.

by Anonymousreply 29May 2, 2020 5:00 PM

We think not, r29. The Francos are Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 30May 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Don't forget Richard Gere and Debra Winger. Here's a list if some more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 2, 2020 5:26 PM

Are we talking about on camera or in person? On camera, I'd say they hid it well.

by Anonymousreply 32May 2, 2020 5:38 PM

Excalibur, the guilty pleasure of 1981.

Boorman cast Nicol Williamson as Merlin and Helen Mirren as Morgana, precisely because they utterly loathed one another. He wanted that animosity to bleed through into their roles and onto the film. The story goes that when each of them learned that the other had been cast, they pleaded with Boorman to change his mind. To their credit, it is reported that they behaved with impeccable professionalism on the set, but in those scenes where they had dialog together, the intense dislike is palpable.

The reason behind the hatred is allegedly down to a play they were in some years previously, which got panned by the critics. They both took a professional knock after that, and each of them blamed the other for it. Hell hath no fury like a luvvie scorned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2020 5:39 PM

They're Jewish on the mother's side. I met the grandmother shortly before her death. His grandfather extracted my impacted my wisdom teeth--he was a dentist 's dentist and the two of them were major Asian art collectors.

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2020 5:41 PM

Franco and Cavill worked together on Tristan and Isolde. Franco was a jerk to him, and then later shaded Cavill for being so happy he finally got to play Superman. James is a tool. Good riddance he is blackballed now.

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2020 5:43 PM

Zooey Deutch also hated working with Franco and said he had bad breath. He also pushed over Busy Phillips on set.

by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2020 5:45 PM

Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis by the end of Moonlighting

by Anonymousreply 37May 2, 2020 5:46 PM

Wasn't their major tension on the I Heart Huckabees set?

by Anonymousreply 38May 2, 2020 5:47 PM

What’s the hell is r34 talking about?

by Anonymousreply 39May 2, 2020 5:48 PM

Donald and Melania tRump

by Anonymousreply 40May 2, 2020 5:52 PM

R30, maybe he was talking about underball smegma.

by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2020 5:53 PM

"Kim was the real star of the show. She was the most talented of the girls, she made the show funny, and people watched because of her."

Sorry, Kim, but no one watched the show just because of you

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2020 5:56 PM

Rock Hudson hated working with James Dean

by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2020 5:57 PM

It’s obvious that the rest of the case wasn’t feeling Shannen Doherty in season 4 of 90210. Brenda was always either alone in her scenes doing her own thing, or with some other character.

by Anonymousreply 44May 2, 2020 5:57 PM

Franco was obviously jealous toward Cavill, no doubt about it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 2, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote]Rock Hudson hated working with James Dean

James Dean was a better actor than Rock Hudson, and Hudson knew it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 2, 2020 5:59 PM

Oh, puhlease, Franco may not be a saint but Cavill is hardly an innocent angel, either.

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2020 6:00 PM

R46, Rock was not a bad actor. It's just that he wasn't a great actor. Sometimes he took roles that were bigger than him.

But no one can deny that he was genius in Giant. I really bought into him being a Texas cattle baron.

And don't get me started on Mercedes McCambridge.

by Anonymousreply 48May 2, 2020 6:02 PM

I was thinking of them R37 but only saw a couple of episodes of Moonlighting. They were known for having this amazing chemistry. I was just a kid so I wasn't noticing that kind of stuff, could you tell that something had changed between them by the end of the show?

by Anonymousreply 49May 2, 2020 6:02 PM

[quote] [R21], bad anal experience. Or smegma.

Cavill would be the one with the smegma.

by Anonymousreply 50May 2, 2020 6:03 PM

R46, James Dean was an out-of-control punk who spent as much time shitting on his talent as making it pay through his craft. He was spoiled so fast and so needy that his histrionics and misplaced "emotions" ruined many scenes he was in. Hudson and Taylor and everyone else who dealt with the "East of Eden"/"Giant" phase of his late adolescence suffered for it. He was, except in "Rebel Without a Cause," a selfish and rather hateful actor, at least in character.

His masochism in his "real" life may suggest some of the torments he faced, and even Brando (who fucked him) avoided his calls and pleas. Not. Fun.

by Anonymousreply 51May 2, 2020 6:06 PM

[R39] they are talking about the Franco’s maternal grandparents. I also had the pleasure of once meeting the lovely grandmother (Art Basel Miami 2013). I didn’t know that she had passed. Purchased a Japanese woodblock ink print from the Verne art gallery run by their uncle at the fair.

by Anonymousreply 52May 2, 2020 6:07 PM

R51, do you think he and Rock got it on during the filming of Giant?

by Anonymousreply 53May 2, 2020 6:08 PM

I am sure that Cybill said she wanted to get it on with Bruce at one point and he did not want to, maybe that was early on. Check out this interview. He certainly did not fake a nice response lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 2, 2020 6:08 PM

The Franco family run asian art gallery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 2, 2020 6:09 PM

Taylor and Dean adored each other r51.

by Anonymousreply 56May 2, 2020 6:09 PM

Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins circa "Old Acquaintance"

Sophia Loren loathed Marlon Brando during shooting and publicity of "A Countess from Hong Kong." He was hideous to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 2, 2020 6:09 PM

Ethel Merman and Fernando Lamas.

During rehearsal of HAPPY HUNTING, Lamas interrupted the proceedings to ask director Abe Burrows 'Excuse me. Is this how it's going to be?'

Burrows nervously replies 'How what is going to be, Mr. Lamas?'

Lamas : "I am addressing my lines to Miss Merman and Miss Merman is addressing her lines to the audience'. (a trait or hers, BTW, that other co-stars had not appreciated in earlier shows).

Dead silence.

Merman: 'Mr. Lamas, I'll have you know I have been playing scenes like this on Broadway for 25 years.'

Lamas: 'Miss Merman, that doesn't mean you're right. It just means that you're old.'

Lamas also has the trousers on his white suit recut to accentuate his famously large endowment. At the first performance in Philadelphia, his initial appearance in those pants drew gasps from the audience. Merman was livid (no way was she going to be upstaged, let alone by a penis).

During the entire run of the show, they only spoke to each other on stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 2, 2020 6:12 PM

Dakota Fanning and Denzel Washington

by Anonymousreply 59May 2, 2020 6:12 PM

R57, I have always thought Sophia Loren was one of the most glamorous women who ever lived. She was not a great beauty by any definition, but she was extraordinarily beautiful, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 60May 2, 2020 6:13 PM

R58, Ethel Merman had a famously large clitoris.

by Anonymousreply 61May 2, 2020 6:14 PM

[R60] Sophia Loren is still alive dear

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2020 6:15 PM

Marlon Brando and Anna Magnani had a volcanic relationship while filming 'The Fuigive Kind.' Brando tortured Magnani by fueling her insecurities about being older and not the classic beauty. She shot back at his weight and brandished her european sophistication whenever possible.

Those are real tears she's crying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2020 6:15 PM

[quote] I was just a kid so I wasn't noticing that kind of stuff, could you tell that something had changed between them by the end of the show?

Well the whole show was a mess by the end so it wasn't just their lack of chemistry you noticed. Cybill took time off to have a baby so there were episodes where she was barely there or they had no scenes together. It's been years since I watched but there was definitely a tonal change to the show by the end. It lost the fun, light-hearted spirit of the first couple seasons and Willis clearly didn't want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 64May 2, 2020 6:16 PM

Joanne Woodward said she hated working with Brando too and the only way she would do so after The Fugitive Kind was if he was in rear projection.

by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2020 6:17 PM

La Looch and Buffy hated each other’s guts on All My Children. Susan has an otherwise impeccable reputation while SMG... not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 2, 2020 6:21 PM

Greta Scacchi and Eric Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 67May 2, 2020 6:22 PM

Debra Winger and the pigeon from Forget Paris.

by Anonymousreply 68May 2, 2020 6:32 PM

The set of Charmed was a mess. Everyone was either fucking each other or they hated each other. Shannen and Holly were good friends but obviously Shannen and Alyssa couldn't get along with each other so one of them had to go. Rose hates Alyssa now but I don't remember hearing about them having problems back then, maybe they did. Can't imagine anyone getting along with either one of them these days. Both of them are endlessly tedious.

by Anonymousreply 69May 2, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote]Lamas also has the trousers on his white suit recut to accentuate his famously large endowment.

Because Merman wouldn't let it have a mention in the program.

by Anonymousreply 70May 2, 2020 6:34 PM

Christian Bale and Matthew McConaughey have disliked each other since working on fantasy dragon epic Reign of Fire, 20 years ago. Bale was in his early unmedicated "I am and ACTOR" phase and McBongo was, well, McBongo. Polar opposite personalities, they weren't friendly during filming. There's a scene where MM's character coldcocks Bale's, during the take McConaughey wound up and actually knocked Bale completely out cold for a few minutes. The crew wasn't displeased.

Flash forward years to the Oscars where both are nommed for actor, the live camera nicely catches Bale's muted reaction when MM's name is called.

by Anonymousreply 71May 2, 2020 6:37 PM

R66, don't start that mess on this thread. That feud was all Lucci.

Bette did mean things to Joan on Hush Hush, causing Joan to walk off and Bette to bring in her friend Olivia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 2, 2020 6:42 PM

Walter Mathau hated Barbra Streisand. He refused to kiss her in the final scene of Hello Dolly, so they used an oblique camera angle to hide the fact that their lips weren't touching.

by Anonymousreply 73May 2, 2020 6:57 PM

Guy #17 didn't seem that into it, in Dawson's 20 load weekend.

by Anonymousreply 74May 2, 2020 7:03 PM

"I am sure that Cybill said she wanted to get it on with Bruce at one point and he did not want to"

Um, wrong. It was the other way around. It happened at the very beginning of the show or maybe before it actually started.

by Anonymousreply 75May 2, 2020 7:14 PM

What happened on the set of 'Charmed?' Shannen Doherty is what happened. She's always been a problematic actress, even when she was on 'Beverly Hills 90120.' She's known for bringing out the worst in her castmates. I remember when she used to get into fights at clubs and was on bad terms with all her exes. Will never be able to figure out how she consistently got work. Her asymmetrical face alone should have been enough to make casting agents say, "um, no."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 2, 2020 7:24 PM

Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls

by Anonymousreply 77May 2, 2020 7:28 PM

[quote]Wasn't their major tension on the I Heart Huckabees set?

The David O'Russell vs. Lily Tomlin feud is the best (1:08 mark)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 2, 2020 7:36 PM

I don't know if it was hate, but Cybil Sheppard disliked Christine Baranski because Christine was getting all the laughs on Cybil's sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 79May 2, 2020 7:42 PM

Brenda what's her name and the pigeons from Home Alone 2. She killed them all after filming. True story. One did peck out her left eye (she has a glass one now) but they didn't all have to suffer.

Kim was great in SATC but SJP was very popular. Girls loved Carrie. It was a great show because they all had great chemistry and different girls could see themselves in each girl. But it was SJP's show and she should have gotten more money.

by Anonymousreply 80May 2, 2020 7:43 PM

Meghan Mullally and cast of Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 81May 2, 2020 7:43 PM

Didn't Alice hate Flo?

by Anonymousreply 82May 2, 2020 7:45 PM

Wasn't their major tension on the I Heart Huckabees set?

R38 Yes, Lily Tomlin is a raging cunt.

by Anonymousreply 83May 2, 2020 7:48 PM

Linda Lavin fucked over Alice by running off Polly.

by Anonymousreply 84May 2, 2020 7:49 PM

[quote]Brenda what's her name and the pigeons from Home Alone 2. She killed them all after filming. True story. One did peck out her left eye (she has a glass one now) but they didn't all have to suffer.

Where in the fuck did you come up with that nonsense, r80?

by Anonymousreply 85May 2, 2020 8:01 PM

IIRC, both Polanski and Jack Nicholson disliked Faye Dunaway.

I don’t think anyone enjoyed working with Barbra.

Bette Midler was also disliked on sets.

by Anonymousreply 86May 2, 2020 8:08 PM

R76 Shannen seems like she has mellowed considerably in the last few years. Cancer will do that to you. As far as I know she was childhood friends with Holly and they remained friends after she left the show but they no longer talk? I've seen Holly be supportive of some of Rose's activism but I have no idea if she's still on board. Not sure how well Holly and Alyssa get along.

Bitches are all messy.

by Anonymousreply 87May 2, 2020 8:16 PM

Shannen is friends with Jenny Garth now that they are much older.

by Anonymousreply 88May 2, 2020 8:19 PM

James Dean & Raymond Massey in East of Eden

by Anonymousreply 89May 2, 2020 8:19 PM

If we're mentioning directors - and David O. Russell in particular - then Russell & George Clooney (during the filming of Three Kings - which, I think, reached its low point when Clooney clocked the director for the way he berated a crew member).

by Anonymousreply 90May 2, 2020 8:22 PM

Megan Fox and Michael Bay. Spielberg killed her career because she publicly referred to him as "Hitler".

by Anonymousreply 91May 2, 2020 8:27 PM

Joan Collins said George Peppard hit on her on the set of some movie they did together (forget what it was) and when she turned him down he was nasty to her

by Anonymousreply 92May 2, 2020 8:29 PM

Karen Black didn't get along with Hitchcock on Family Plot. He wasn't crazy about method actors, and I believe it was to her that he once said, "You can do whatever you like. Just remember there's a cutting room floor."

by Anonymousreply 93May 2, 2020 8:30 PM

Patti LuPone LOATHED the actor playing her husband on their TV show "Our Son is a Retard!"

by Anonymousreply 94May 2, 2020 8:44 PM

Marlene Dietrich and Ray Milland did not get along and there was a lot of tension on the set of Golden Earrings (1947).

Noel Coward and Claudette Colbert in the television version of Blithe Spirit (1956). He said he'd wring her neck -- if she had one.

Peter Fonda was so appalled by Warren Beatty's treatment of the seriously ill Robert Rossen, director of Lilith (1964), that he wanted to round up some crew members and teach WB a lesson in civility.

Joan Fontaine disliked Cary Grant on the set of Suspicion (1941) and found him a terrible fraud for playing polished gentlemen when he was a barely literate boy from Bristol. She was probably working off anger against the polished British cast of the previous year's Rebecca, when the whole cast -- but especially Laurence Olivier, who wanted the part of "I" to go to Vivien Liegh -- treated Joan patronizingly. Hitchcock allowed it because it made Fontaine nervous and reticent, just like the second Mrs. De Winter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 2, 2020 8:48 PM

i suspect it would take a lot to hate Cary Grant. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I just can't imagine he wasn't kind of charming and funny with costars.

by Anonymousreply 96May 2, 2020 9:02 PM

I'm Apollonia, Michael's first wife.

Don't get in a car with me if you know what's best for you.

by Anonymousreply 97May 2, 2020 9:05 PM

R75 I vaguely remembered her saying that, could have been wrong. She does mention this in her book that they nearly got it on though so I wasn't far off:

"Although the Moonlighting co-stars had a highly publicized feud on set, they apparently had enough chemistry to have a quick fling off camera. Back in 2000, Cybill admitted that the tension became so strong, she eventually turned to Bruce one day and said, "Are we going to do something about this or what?" Bruce later visited her house with a bottle of wine, but after a heated makeout session, they both decided to not take things further because of their careers. "Maybe Bruce likes the chase better than the catch," she wrote in her book. "We never did finish what we'd started in private, but any time we had a kissing scene, he stuck a big camel tongue halfway down my throat."

by Anonymousreply 98May 2, 2020 9:05 PM

Re R97 - see this is what happens when I post on too many threads at one time !

by Anonymousreply 99May 2, 2020 9:06 PM

R96, I remember Doris Day describing him as distant. I don't think they outright hated each other but he wasn't the same offscreen as he was in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 100May 2, 2020 9:10 PM

[quote] The Franco family run asian art gallery

I liked them better when they were a pop singing group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 2, 2020 9:12 PM

Bette Midler and Shelley Long didn't get along on Outrageous Fortune. In this case, their lack of chemistry probably improved the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 2, 2020 9:19 PM

honestly, does shelley long like anybody? Actually, does Bette?

by Anonymousreply 103May 2, 2020 9:20 PM

aw, that's a little disappointing r100, but I wonder what decade that was. I imagine they all went through this thing when they were kind of past their prime and tired. I imagine him being really fun on the set of His Gal Friday, but as you indicate, public and private are two very different things.

by Anonymousreply 104May 2, 2020 9:27 PM

R3: Apart from Ashley Fink, Kevin McHale, and Amber Riley, I heard nobody on the show liked Colfer

by Anonymousreply 105May 2, 2020 9:32 PM

Tiger the 🐕 didn’t get along with Alice’s angry pussy.

by Anonymousreply 106May 2, 2020 9:34 PM

Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic on Castle, to the point Katic was seemingly fired ahead of the show being cancelled.

I don’t know why I even mentioned it though because no-one gives a sh*t about that show, probably not even Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic.

by Anonymousreply 107May 2, 2020 9:36 PM

Bette seemed well liked when she did Hello, Dolly, but then again, all the excitement around the production was based around her returning to Broadway (even Donna Murphy and Bernadette Peters were all-around better in the role).

by Anonymousreply 108May 2, 2020 9:44 PM

Cary Grant was a character played to perfection in front of the camera, the real man was grouchy, insecure, and the kind of perfectionist who drove his co-workers nuts.

One time he drove his costumer so crazy with his endless nitpicking about the fit of his cuffs and collars and the other details of tailoring, that the costumer went to the film's director to complain. "But that's what we're paying for!", was the director's response. "We want him to LOOK like Cary Grant, so let him nitpick all he likes".

by Anonymousreply 109May 2, 2020 10:33 PM

The gay, barely literate Archie Leach from Bristol became the sophisticated hetero heartthrob Cary Grant in Hollywood. I bet he had the worst case of imposter's syndrome ever known to man.

by Anonymousreply 110May 2, 2020 11:04 PM

R92 - Patricia Neal said George Peppard was hard to work with on Breakfast at Tiffany's.

by Anonymousreply 111May 2, 2020 11:24 PM

R110, if "impostor syndrome" is defined as "NOUN the persistent inability to believe that one's success is deserved or has been legitimately achieved as a result of one's own efforts or skills.", I would not guess Cary Grant suffered from it. He knew that his success was legitimately achieved and was very much the result of his own effort and skill, he was an extremely intelligent and hard-working man, and earned everything he ever had.

However, he must have felt as lonely and isolated as all hell, since the secret of his success was hiding his true self, and creating a new identity that everyone on earth preferred to the real man.

by Anonymousreply 112May 2, 2020 11:25 PM

When Olivia replaced Joan on HHSC, Ms. C. Said in a press interview: “I’m glad for Livie, she needs the work.”

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2020 11:28 PM

No one liked Brando on or off the set, except for Wally Cocks.

by Anonymousreply 114May 2, 2020 11:46 PM

Val Kilmer and everyone he worked with

by Anonymousreply 115May 2, 2020 11:58 PM

Kukla and Ollie.

Fran had use two hands to keep them apart.

by Anonymousreply 116May 3, 2020 12:08 AM

[quote]However, he must have felt as lonely and isolated as all hell, since the secret of his success was hiding his true self, and creating a new identity that everyone on earth preferred to the real man.

That's just a part of being English

by Anonymousreply 117May 3, 2020 12:45 AM

r117, amen.

by Anonymousreply 118May 3, 2020 1:13 AM

R33 In a rare instance of actors mending fences, Mirren said she and Williamson eventually became friends.

Q: I heard that Boorman cast you and Nicol Williamson, who played Merlin, because the two of you didn’t get along, and it generated a very specific kind of tension on-screen.

A: We had done a production of MacBeth prior to that, and our relationship was horrendous. Nicol is a very brilliant, but very dark, troubled man. He has so much talent in so many different directions, but he just…he couldn’t bear me, and was very nasty to me. I don’t think I was nasty to him at all, but he just hated me. When I went to see John about the film, he said “I’m thinking about Nicol for Merlin,” I said I didn’t think I could do it then, because we had this horrible relationship. John convinced me that he would help to make it work, and of course, being greedy and wanting the role, I said ‘Fuck it. I’ll just put up with it.’ In fact, Nicol and I wound up becoming very good friends on it! (laughs) We were finally free of that play, and I’m sure the play had a lot to do with it. So I finished up loving him.

by Anonymousreply 119May 3, 2020 1:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 3, 2020 1:39 AM

Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee) never liked Andy Griffith. When she retired to North Carolina, Andy and Ron Howard went to visit. She spoke to them through the front door. Refused to do a reunion show.

by Anonymousreply 121May 3, 2020 1:41 AM

No one ever has nice things to say about Chevy Chase. How the hell Beverly D'Angelo has put up with him so many times is a mystery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 3, 2020 2:14 AM

Patti LuPone would call Life Goes On co-star Chris Burke a "tard" behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 123May 3, 2020 2:31 AM

Teri Hatcher had issues

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 3, 2020 2:47 AM

R124, Teri was misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 125May 3, 2020 2:51 AM

Peter Krause and Rachel Griffiths on "Six Feet Under."

by Anonymousreply 126May 3, 2020 2:54 AM

Ed O'Neill and Amanda Bearse on "Married with Children".

In this clip, his comments seem pretty homophobic. And he proves her right about one thing: he is a bully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 3, 2020 2:55 AM

Certain people named here just are extremely difficult to work with, no matter how talented they are.

Debra Winger

Val Kilmer

Marlon Brando

Cybill Shepherd

Rachel Griffiths

Shannen Doherty

Burt Reynolds

Several of them eventually stopped getting good work because they were so difficult. They like(d) to blame other things, but the truth was they just couldn't work with other people after a certain amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 128May 3, 2020 3:14 AM

^ He seems pretty clueless about lesbians

by Anonymousreply 129May 3, 2020 3:32 AM

Winona Ryder & Angelina Jolie on the set of Girl Interrupted. AJ wanted to stay in character between scenes, i.e., be the alpha female.

[quote] In accordance with Lee Strasberg's method acting, Jolie preferred to stay in character in between scenes during many of her early films, and as a result had gained a reputation for being difficult to deal with. While shooting Gia, she told her husband, Jonny Lee Miller, that she would not be able to phone him: "I'd tell him: 'I'm alone; I'm dying; I'm gay; I'm not going to see you for weeks.'"

From AJ's Wikipedia page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 3, 2020 3:36 AM

The entire cast of The Sally Field Programme

by Anonymousreply 131May 3, 2020 3:47 AM

R119, thank you. I had assumed that feud had never healed, but I'm glad to learn that it did.

by Anonymousreply 132May 3, 2020 6:42 AM

Didn't Susan Saint James and Jane Curtin end up hating each other by the end of Kate & Allie? I haven't seen the show in years so I don't know if it ever showed on screen.

by Anonymousreply 133May 3, 2020 6:48 AM

Funny thing about Shelley Long. Many costars bad-mouthed her and called her "difficult", (Bette, Rhea Perlman, Kelsey Grammar, I think even a few girls scouts). Only one episode each season of Modern Family was all they could take, (and they were glad to kill her off). But I don't believe she's ever said a bad word about anybody, even in response.

Ted Danson has always defended her, respected her work ethic, and credits Cheers enormous success to her.

by Anonymousreply 134May 3, 2020 7:01 AM

At 1:58 in this video, it looks like Belinda Carlisle wants to hit Kathy Valentine based on facial expressions & body language.

Slow it down & see for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 3, 2020 7:05 AM

R87 I think Shannen mellowed our a bit before that — by the time she came out with that reality show with her photographer husband, she seemed pretty cook and chill. I’ve also noticed she has a lot of long term friends which especially in this industry says a lot about someone’s character and loyalty.

Could be wrong, of course, but that’s my take.

by Anonymousreply 136May 3, 2020 7:22 AM

R136 Cosby, Weinstein & Woody Allen all have long term friends in the industry.

It reveals nothing about character.

by Anonymousreply 137May 3, 2020 7:26 AM

Cybill Shepherd and EVERYBODY.

by Anonymousreply 138May 3, 2020 7:27 AM

R127 I guess Ed had a change of heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 3, 2020 7:29 AM

there was a great story in TV Guide about Cybill and Baranski; during blocking, Cybill says: I miss the ozone layer; Maryann: That's the price you pay for hairspray!

and she gets the laugh; so, Cybill says switch lines; I want the laugh. On tape night, Maryann says: I miss the ozone layer.

And THAT gets the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 140May 3, 2020 7:38 AM

Is that Dylan O'Brien he's kissing, r139?

by Anonymousreply 141May 3, 2020 10:51 AM

R141 it is.

by Anonymousreply 142May 3, 2020 11:13 AM

When Francis Bavier was near death she reached out to Andy Griffith and Ron Howard. They told her to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 143May 3, 2020 11:35 AM

Carol Lynley and Red Buttons hated each other on the set of Poseidon Adventure. In an interview, Carol called Red a "cunt."

by Anonymousreply 144May 3, 2020 12:03 PM

No one I can think of bad mouths Robert Redford, but for all of his nice guy unaffected by stardom reputation, his acting style and prep is that of a grade-b TV actor. Wouldn't rehearse because it ruined his "spontaneity," couldn't do more than three takes. This did not go over well with trained actors he worked with, and that includes Paul Newman. Add in - extremely vain, always late, disappeared for hours or didn't show up. Redford was on the outs with the director he worked with the most, Sydney Pollack, for years because of his "movie star behavior." This info is in the Redford biography - that he cooperated with - by Michael Feeney Callan.

by Anonymousreply 145May 3, 2020 12:46 PM

R133 I had not heard that, although Susan St. James did retire after Kate and Allie.

by Anonymousreply 146May 3, 2020 12:54 PM

I have heard stories about Redford being aloof and selfish on the set. He just is not a giving actor which makes playing scenes with him difficult. As you say, vain, late, disappears, diva behavior.

by Anonymousreply 147May 3, 2020 12:56 PM

R146 Yes, I had a friend who was a struggling actress back when Kate and Allie was on. She had a small, one-line part in one of the episodes and ended up befriending Jane Curtin.

This friend said Susan and Jane could barely tolerate each other, and while Jane was always professional on set, Susan was apparently a big, nasty diva and was especially disrespectful to the crew, which made production even more difficult.

by Anonymousreply 148May 3, 2020 1:44 PM

Redford was supposed to play the lead, Frank Galvin, in "The Verdict", but he kept insisting that he wanted the character changed so that Galvin was not an alcoholic.

When he didn't get his way, Redford left and Paul Newman took the role and got an Oscar nomination. Years later Newman said that Galvin was a character that he would like to revisit to find out what had happened to him.

After hearing this story about RR, I began to realize how many of the Redford roles cast him in this "perfect" image. His insistence on this kind of character makes me see that he's not very bright. How could anyone fail to see that Galvin's alcoholism is a key, important point in painting his flawed character? For Redford to insist that that be removed reveals his own severe vanity.

I've heard he insisted on similar changes (removing character flaws) in other movies - "The Horse Whisperer" for one.

Too bad, really, because Redford's portrayal of a real SOB in "Downhill Racer" early in his career was very good. RR probably had no power then to insist on changes.

by Anonymousreply 149May 3, 2020 2:08 PM

Suzanne Somers and Joyce DeWitt on "Three's Company."

by Anonymousreply 150May 3, 2020 2:14 PM

Wow. Great post, r49. I love "The Verdict" and am so glad Paul Newman played Frank Galvin. Speaking of what happened to Frank Galvin, the very final scene when he doesn't answer the phone shows a coffee container, indicating that, perhaps Frank sobered-up.

by Anonymousreply 151May 3, 2020 2:17 PM

James Caan also hated working with Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 152May 3, 2020 2:17 PM

^ Source?

by Anonymousreply 153May 3, 2020 2:19 PM

"Thor".

I read the gossip that suggested that Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth didn't hit it off and that was after saw "Thor" and it was glaring how those two had zero, zilch, nada, chemistry with each other.

by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2020 2:22 PM

R154 i don't understand why they wouldn't bother doing a chemistry read first.

by Anonymousreply 155May 3, 2020 2:23 PM

The irony is, R147, as a director, Redford said he wouldn't like to work with an actor like him. I take that to mean, flighty and undisciplined, unwilling to rehearse.

R149, Redford had a problem with alcohol for decades, perhaps that's why he didn't want to play one at that time. He was a huge movie star and could at least try to make them change The Verdict to suit him, ha ha.

Before he was a mega star, Redford played several shallow movie characters - in Downhill Racer, as mentioned, The Candidate, The Way We Were (yes), a motorcycle movie and a western I can't remember the titles. He started in TV playing heavys, even a Nazi. After The Way We Were* when he was introduced to the female audience as a romantic idol, he focused more on producing and chose only to act hero characters to suit the image of a movie poster boy. I will cut Redford some slack because he was consuming too much alcohol and involved behind the scenes of movies like All the President's Men.

If Redford had moved away from hero roles and let his hair grown dark (and grey) he could have gone on for years as a character actor like say Robert Ryan or Richard Widmark was. Paul Newman let his looks go if it suited a character.

R152, James "where's my coke dealer" Caan hated Ray Stark, not Streisand. Streisand was kind of uninvolved in Funny Lady because she hated it, so Caan was not fully exposed to her megalomania - because there wasn't any.

by Anonymousreply 156May 3, 2020 2:27 PM

Perhaps Redford wasn’t so much a diva as he was insecure about his limitations as an actor.

He knew he’d probably make an ass of himself attempting to play an alcoholic despite having been one himself.

It must be painful to have the experience to draw upon and no ability to do so.

by Anonymousreply 157May 3, 2020 2:34 PM

r155. I "Marveled" at that, too. Seriously. I was astounded that those two were cast with each other.

I think in a previous thread, a DLer suggested that Portman saw the role as beneath her or something like that.

She must've got a big paycheck for her brief scene in "Avengers: Endgame"; a scene, by the way, that didn't include Hemsworth.

by Anonymousreply 158May 3, 2020 2:38 PM

r158

I thought her cameo was from unused footage from another movie

by Anonymousreply 159May 3, 2020 2:44 PM

Natalie Portman seems insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 160May 3, 2020 2:50 PM

R157, I get what you mean, but playing an alcoholic or the alcoholic part of a character is very easy. And at the level of stardom Redford was at the time, he probably believed he could play anything, it's an ego thing.

Here's something funny about The Way We Were. Redford thought Streisand was a singer, he didn't know she was also an actress - that's one of the reasons he was hesitant to do the movie and NO ONE ever mentions it (it was in the Callan book). He knew she had been on Broadway in a musical, probably heard a record of hers on the radio, saw her on a magazine cover. That's it. Even when Streisand and Redford appeared on Oprah together a few years ago and they talked about the movie, Redford mentioned his worrying that Streisand may not be up to the role. It was said subtly, like is she willing to work hard on it as if she was this singer suddenly required to read lines. Streisand looked confused.

by Anonymousreply 161May 3, 2020 2:51 PM

R161, that’s crazy to think that Redford didn’t know Streisand was an actor. She won a Best Actress Oscar just a few years before.

by Anonymousreply 162May 3, 2020 2:54 PM

That sounds a little disingenuous on Redford's part. Streisand has won an Oscar for Funny Girl. It wouldn't be until 2007 that someone won an Oscar for simply for (over)singing with zero acting ability whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 163May 3, 2020 2:55 PM

Barbra was never a good actor unless you count looking into the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 164May 3, 2020 2:58 PM

I dunno, R162/R163. When he wasn't working or disappearing into the mountains or the bottle (Redford chased nature and booze, not women), he lived a kind of insulated life in Utah. Redford never went to movies or even saw HIS OWN movies. Perhaps he thought Streisand won the Oscar for singing...IF he knew that. He doesn't sound like much of a TV watcher or someone who instantly went to the entertainment section of a newspaper. But mostly, I don't think he had much if any interest in Streisand as a singer, actress or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 165May 3, 2020 3:02 PM

Streisand couldn't have been happy with Redford saying he didn't even know she was a actor, as she likes to think of herself as an actor, not a singer.

by Anonymousreply 166May 3, 2020 3:04 PM

R158 and now she'll be playing Lady Thor 😆

by Anonymousreply 167May 3, 2020 3:14 PM

He never actually said those words, R166. He questioned whether she had the ability to do the role in TWWW. He questioned whether she would make a commitment to work hard on the role. Guess he never read anything about her on a movie set.

Streisand likes to say that Redford is very complex, he "has something going on behind his eyes." That's supposed to mean he's not the cold, vapid introvert he appears to be so often on screen. This is from 1969 - notice Redford, far away, not interacting, looking like he wants to go home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 3, 2020 3:19 PM

R168 Paul Newman doesn't exactly look thrilled to be there, either.

by Anonymousreply 169May 3, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote]Funny thing about Shelley Long. Many costars bad-mouthed her and called her "difficult", (Bette, Rhea Perlman, Kelsey Grammar, I think even a few girls scouts). ...Ted Danson has always defended her, respected her work ethic, and credits Cheers enormous success to her.

Ken Levine, a Cheers and Frasier writer, gave a great defense of Long:

Now let me say a few words about Shelley’s behavior. She could be difficult. She could be obstinate. She could over-think something to death. But it was never out of spite. It was just her very exacting process. At times I will admit it was frustrating. And exhausting. But Shelley has a good heart. She is a sweet person. And in her defense, she had an incredibly complex difficult character to play. To make Diane Chambers loveable and funny while still maintaining her haughty attitude took a very special actress. It would be so easy to just hate Diane. Shelley did an extraordinary job. I can't think of a single actress who could have done the role better... or even as well. So if it took her longer to find the moments and just the right shading then tough. The results were on the screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170May 3, 2020 3:25 PM

I kind of love the idea that Redford does not follow the film industry or the Oscars.

I know it was a bullshit post that he was unaware of Funny GIrl, Hello Dolly, Whats Up Doc, Up the Sandobox, The Owl and the Pussycat, and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever and who won the acting Oscars. But if it was true, there would be something really delicious in that gossip.

by Anonymousreply 171May 3, 2020 3:28 PM

R169, Paul Newman doesn't exactly look thrilled to be photographed. It was an after screening of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which was made for Newman's production co.

by Anonymousreply 172May 3, 2020 3:28 PM

Anyone who tries to sell you on the idea that a star of Redford's magnitude isn't aware of other actors and what's going on in the business is lying flat out. Anyone who IS in this business for the long haul knows everything that's going on. They may like to portray themselves as folksy and just like everyone else, but it's all an act. You don't get to the top of this profession (and stay there for 50 years) by being cavalier and not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 173May 3, 2020 3:34 PM

Redford was (is?) also notoriously sexist and dismissive of the seriousness of many actresses he came up with. He became friends with Natalie Wood, apparently, but I can't think of any others. (Most men, gay or straight, adored Natalie Wood.)

by Anonymousreply 174May 3, 2020 3:42 PM

R174 If he was dismissive of actresses it is odd that he only befriended one of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 175May 3, 2020 3:45 PM

"Anyone who tries to sell you on the idea that a star of Redford's magnitude isn't aware of other actors and what's going on in the business is lying flat out."

R173, we're mostly talking about Redford 50 YEARS AGO, not after being in the business 50 years. He's been in it now over 60 years. I agree that the "folksy and just like everyone else" family man, non-phony, above it all crap Redford always portrayed himself as is bullshit, it could also be an excuse for his lack of social skills - he didn't want to or didn't have the ability schmooze at your party and meet people who's be helpful to his career (before superstardom).

by Anonymousreply 176May 3, 2020 3:49 PM

R135 Belinda was the problem in almost every relationship in the band that went off the rails.

She was the most insecure because financially, she had the least of the songwriting credits (which brought publishing dollars). The court case Valentine filed is instructive. At one time Belinda picked each one of her other band members to try and push out so she could grab a bigger share.

In short, she's a Cybill level cunt.

by Anonymousreply 177May 3, 2020 4:04 PM

Ugh, this is not a Robert Redford thread. And The Way We Were is unwatchable. Terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 178May 3, 2020 4:10 PM

Has Natalie Portman ever had chemistry with any of her costars? She comes off as such a cold fish. It worked for The Black Swan because her character was an uptight shrew but she's always come off as passionless and wooden to me.

by Anonymousreply 179May 3, 2020 4:17 PM

She had good chemistry with Clive Owen in Closer. But then, Clive Owen could have chemistry with a rock.

by Anonymousreply 180May 3, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]playing an alcoholic or the alcoholic part of a character is very easy.

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 181May 3, 2020 4:51 PM

^ You obviously have never seen The Carol Burnett Show

by Anonymousreply 182May 3, 2020 4:54 PM

Jane Wyman and Lana Turner on Falcon Crest.

by Anonymousreply 183May 3, 2020 4:54 PM

I loved moonlighting so much, and Bruce and Cybil, and everything they've done since then. Was it Cybil's book, or am I thinking about an interview, where she admitted she was so difficult to get along with and can't blame any of her previous co-stars for saying so. She had a bit of an epiphany later in life I guess.

by Anonymousreply 184May 3, 2020 4:57 PM

I don't think that was any loss to Babs R73. Who would want to kiss Walter Matthau?

by Anonymousreply 185May 3, 2020 5:05 PM

Natalie Portman did not want Jon Hamm on Lucy in the sky. Saying he was box office poison. In interviews for the movie together. She seems really phoney nice. And in pictures she tries to stand far from him. She supposably couldn't stand him. The movie did horrible. So another bomb for the both of them.

by Anonymousreply 186May 3, 2020 5:09 PM

R186, Portman is literally the biggest crybaby in movie history. I can't think of anyone who is asked to cry so much in the SAME FUCKING FASHION in every movie. It's like she thinks of how to cry and goes "Oh yeah, Nancy Kerrigan, she was great at that stuff!".

by Anonymousreply 187May 3, 2020 5:11 PM

R184 - It wasn’t in her book, in which I think she managed to trash each and everyone of her previous co-stars with the exception of Jeff Bridges. I exaggerate but not by much. She didn’t take responsibility for any of her actions in the book and blamed everyone else but herself. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a dishy and fun read but with zero self awareness. I find it hard because believe she had an epiphany later...please link to the interview where she said this.

by Anonymousreply 188May 3, 2020 5:13 PM

Lynda Carter and Debra Winger on Wonder Woman. Lynda saw Debra's Wonder Girl was taking off and had her axed.

by Anonymousreply 189May 3, 2020 5:15 PM

That's Debra's story, R189. And she had a terrible reputation as a troublemaker on set. Did Lynda Carter?

by Anonymousreply 190May 3, 2020 5:18 PM

Speaking of drunks I know someone who worked at her kid's school and was told Lynda was a drunken bitch.

by Anonymousreply 191May 3, 2020 5:21 PM

Barbara Stanwyck and Lee Majors on The Big Valley. She thought he was untalented punk, and he broke her cardinal rules - came in late and unprepared.

by Anonymousreply 192May 3, 2020 5:31 PM

i suspect it would take a lot to hate Cary Grant. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I just can't imagine he wasn't kind of charming and funny with costars.

R96 Grant was notoriously picky and cheap. I don't know how he was to his co-stars but there are plenty of stories about him being difficult, distant, preoccupied with money being taken from him, a far cry from his charming self in movies.

by Anonymousreply 193May 3, 2020 5:32 PM

Edward G. Robinson and George Raft in Manpower. There is a famous photo of them having a fight, though they had to play best friends in the film.

by Anonymousreply 194May 3, 2020 5:36 PM

Here's an article about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195May 3, 2020 5:37 PM

"Natalie Portman did not want Jon Hamm on Lucy in the sky. Saying he was box office poison."

Because she's had so many hits since The Black Swan? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 196May 3, 2020 5:45 PM

I'm glad to hear the defense of Shelley Long from her former co-workers. I remember Ted Danson defending her and saying, like the writer at R170, that yes, she was difficult and her process could be annoying and tedious, but damn if she wasn't almost always right. Danson said he got to the point where he'd tell the cast to just let her work through it because they always came out with a better scene. I have read she and Ncholas Colosanto got along very well and she was devastated by his passing, as were the rest of the cast and crew. He also saw that he process worked.

The proof is indeed in the pudding. When I watch Cheers back, I get all the way through the Diane years and love re-watching the show, but when I get to the Kirstie Alley years, you can see the drop in quality. It wasn't a bad show, but it wasn't as good as it had been. The rest of the crew and cast were happy when Kirstie Alley came along because they got to knock off work earlier and Alley did her scenes with no multiple takes. But the drop in quality is evident. Still, it didn't affect the popularity of the show, which remained a huge hit until it bowed out when Danson quit, and it's only season as #1 was a Kirstie Alley season. But the Diane years are still the best.

by Anonymousreply 197May 3, 2020 6:00 PM

I also remember the fat one from Cheers saying something like "No one could be lazy around Shelley. We all tried to be, but she was very hard working. At the time, we hated it. Looking back, we were lazy assholes" - something to that effect. It was somewhat recent - last 3 or so years.

by Anonymousreply 198May 3, 2020 6:10 PM

Found the NYT review of the Redford biography, R171:

But (the author) has a tendency to highlight Redford’s pretentiousness rather than deflate it. For instance, he stands by mutely as Redford explains his initial reluctance to appear in “The Way We Were,” opposite Streisand: “What I was really worried about was the whole concept of basing a movie on Barbra as a serious actress. . . . She had never been tested.” Callan might have pointed out that Streisand had already been “tested” in pictures like “The Owl and the Pussycat” and especially “Funny Girl,” and that perhaps what Redford was actually expressing was misguided disdain for comedy — or maybe just plain old snobbishness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199May 3, 2020 6:14 PM

The Cheers cast was notoriously lazy. As the show got more popular, they would skip days, show up drunk, and never memorize their lines.

by Anonymousreply 200May 3, 2020 6:14 PM

I think Rhea Perlman had a particular dislike for Shelley Long.

by Anonymousreply 201May 3, 2020 6:44 PM

Boozy Method acting for the setting.

by Anonymousreply 202May 3, 2020 6:45 PM

R202 to whom are you referring?

by Anonymousreply 203May 3, 2020 6:46 PM

R200's drunken Cheers cast

by Anonymousreply 204May 3, 2020 6:52 PM

[quote] I think Rhea Perlman had a particular dislike for Shelley Long.

It was always rumored that Rhea was the head mean girl towards Shelley on the Cheers set. Rhea’s bipolar so I’m sure she was no picnic herself.

by Anonymousreply 205May 3, 2020 6:56 PM

Rhea's a hideous, no talent cunt who got lucky thanks to marrying an even more hideous, but far more talented actor whose coattails she rode to the middle.

by Anonymousreply 206May 3, 2020 6:59 PM

I once visited a location where a big film was being shot. A friend of mine worked on it.

They took me around to meet everyone. Most of the cast barely nodded as I am not famous.

But Danny DeVito got up from his chair, walked over to me, shook my hand, and said, "Welcome!"

I thought that was pretty nice.

by Anonymousreply 207May 3, 2020 7:06 PM

What caused all the Will & Grace friction?

by Anonymousreply 208May 3, 2020 7:13 PM

Other defenders of Shelley include the late Jay Thomas and Kate Mulgrew who said she was very nice and professional.

Jay said he noticed the cast wouldn't eat with her on there breaks so he would join her.

Rhea got Jay fired. Allegedly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209May 3, 2020 7:20 PM

Natalie Portman was charming as a child actress. Unfortunately she grew to be an insufferable prig.

by Anonymousreply 210May 3, 2020 7:22 PM

R209 Kate Mulgrew is dead?

by Anonymousreply 211May 3, 2020 7:30 PM

Wasn't Mandy P. hated by everyone at Criminal Minds?

by Anonymousreply 212May 3, 2020 7:48 PM

R212 Mandy Patinkin was also hated on Chicago Hope for being a smug asshole

by Anonymousreply 213May 3, 2020 7:55 PM

Mandy Patinkin, another one who hated working with Streisand but later changed his story...

by Anonymousreply 214May 3, 2020 7:56 PM

Kate Mulgrew is alive in our hearts.

by Anonymousreply 215May 3, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote] Imagine this happens on soaps a lot where they aren't the best actors and they don't have time to screw around, they have to get thru their scenes on schedule.

Yes, OP, you're right.

I won't turn this into a soap thread. But the problem in that genre is that they film so much in so short a time, and if you and your onscreen partner have great chemistry and become popular, then you are stuck with someone you loathe.

Also, weirdly, hating someone and/or the tension of it all can actually read as passion on screen. Soaps have also been filled with two actors who either got together or got married while coupled onscreen, and they become boring as fuck once the tension is gone.

by Anonymousreply 216May 3, 2020 7:59 PM

[quote]Wasn't Mandy P. hated by everyone at Criminal Minds?

[quote]Mandy Patinkin was also hated on Chicago Hope for being a smug asshole.

I got to hate him twice.

by Anonymousreply 217May 3, 2020 8:00 PM

R217 Thomas Gibson was also hated by many!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218May 3, 2020 8:01 PM

R209 Rhea Perlman is a turbocunt.

And nobody wants to fuck her. Jay T was just telling the truth

by Anonymousreply 219May 3, 2020 8:01 PM

Rhea is a cunt and a bully, which is why she and Kirstie - another cunt - became best buddies.

by Anonymousreply 220May 3, 2020 8:17 PM

I had to work with Jay Thomas and I HATED him. He was such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 221May 3, 2020 8:18 PM

Anthony Geary and Genie Francis own this thread. He hated being saddled with her even though he wouldn't have been nearly the star he was without riding on her coattails.

by Anonymousreply 222May 3, 2020 8:19 PM

Debra Winger has a terrible reputation but I could see Lynda being quite the bitchy diva herself. And she was married to that super sleazy looking producer Ron Samuel who was also managing her career at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 3, 2020 8:30 PM

Don't know if it showed but Betty White and Bea Arthur on Golden Girls. My favorite rumor is that one of them shit in the others toilet and didn't flush.

by Anonymousreply 224May 3, 2020 8:37 PM

It wasn’t the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 225May 3, 2020 8:45 PM

R211 Kate Mulgrew is alive , it's Jay Thomas that's dead. Please learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 226May 3, 2020 9:02 PM

Greg Gutfeld and Juan Williams.

by Anonymousreply 227May 3, 2020 9:09 PM

R222 I saw him on a Made for TV movie where he was a cop. He was horrible. Good thing he didn't give up his daytime job.

by Anonymousreply 228May 3, 2020 9:14 PM

Greg Gutfeld needs to drop dead, R227

by Anonymousreply 229May 3, 2020 9:15 PM

Why haven't we been mentioned yet?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230May 3, 2020 9:55 PM

R208 did

by Anonymousreply 231May 3, 2020 9:56 PM

If Leslie Jordan speaks highly of Megan Mullally and Eric McCormack, specifically, that's all the evidence I need as to who the problem was with the Debra / Megan feud.

by Anonymousreply 232May 3, 2020 9:58 PM

Debra Winger is mentally ill and rarely took her medication, that's why no one liked working with her - she was crazy. Even crazier than that nut case Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 233May 3, 2020 9:59 PM

Everyone on SNL hated Victoria Jackson because she was a psycho religious nut job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234May 3, 2020 10:05 PM

I know a lot of people had problems with Raquel Welch back in the day

by Anonymousreply 235May 3, 2020 10:12 PM

Kim Zimmer and Cynthia Watros

by Anonymousreply 236May 3, 2020 10:17 PM

You're tellin' me. I could write a book about it!

by Anonymousreply 237May 3, 2020 10:18 PM

[quote] I also remember the fat one from Cheers saying something

Kirstie Alley? But she and Shelley Long were only in one episode together.

by Anonymousreply 238May 3, 2020 10:21 PM

Mandy Patinkin is hated by just about everyone he works with. He was fired from the lead role in HEARTBURN after just one day on the job (during which he gave Meryl Streep notes).

by Anonymousreply 239May 3, 2020 10:24 PM

R238, I think that poster was talking about Norm. Men can be fat, too.

by Anonymousreply 240May 3, 2020 10:24 PM

[quote] Even crazier than that nut case Shirley MacLaine.

I don't know about that. Based on everything Shirley's daughter has said, Shirley is on a completely different level. Combine Joan Crawford with something like Scientology and you will get an idea of how nuts she is.

by Anonymousreply 241May 3, 2020 10:25 PM

Amanda Bearse almost looks like a man, and she was so pretty at one time.

by Anonymousreply 242May 3, 2020 10:32 PM

Many of the difficult people are listed here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243May 3, 2020 10:33 PM

[quote] supposably

Joey Tribbiani, ladies and gentlemen!

by Anonymousreply 244May 3, 2020 10:36 PM

R242, she doesn't look like a man. Go back to homophobeland.

by Anonymousreply 245May 3, 2020 10:38 PM

R244 Let's assume/hope R186 typed "supposably" as a joke.

by Anonymousreply 246May 3, 2020 10:38 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 3, 2020 10:41 PM

Wendt and Long knew each other from Second City and were at first friendly on Cheers. Long said once (maybe around the time the show ended) that Coach was Diane's only ally in the bar and it was pretty clear she meant Collasanto was her only ally.

And I agree. Long made the show. Someone once said her presence was so enormous they had to come up with three characters (Frasier, Lilith, and Rebecca) to fill the void.

by Anonymousreply 248May 3, 2020 10:43 PM

Joey Tribbiani said "supposably" on Friends, r246. Literally, not supposably.

by Anonymousreply 249May 3, 2020 10:43 PM

R242, she's in her 60s, you homophobic asshole. What do you want? You think she should grow her hair a foot long, dye it blond, put on fake lashes, bright red lipstick and dangly earrings to talk about a show she did more than 20 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 250May 3, 2020 10:43 PM

Ack, sorry about not realizing the pic link was from that rag.

Anyhow, the text was about them not getting along on "Mad Max: Fury Road" but managed to stand next to each other at premier functions. There is talk about another Mad Max movie with them bringing their characters back, but it is very much up in the air.

They were both hot as hell in the movie even though she was short haired and covered half her face in axle grease. He looked spectacular in his Mad Max drag.

by Anonymousreply 251May 3, 2020 10:47 PM

Conflict on the set of Suddenly Last Summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252May 3, 2020 11:00 PM

Shari Lewis was SUCH a CUNT!

She was always up my ass about SOMETHING.

And ugh, her breath......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253May 3, 2020 11:09 PM

R230 did she also have a feud with Megan back when she has her old face?

Sheesh, every time I see pics of her now I get seriously disturbed. That’s more than having too much work that looks like a fucking face transplant. Which tells you right there who’s the one with the major issues.

by Anonymousreply 254May 3, 2020 11:21 PM

So Megan is clearly trolling Deb at R230 by showing up with long, red hair, right?

Can that be anything other than fucking with your co-star?

by Anonymousreply 255May 4, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote] Mandy Patinkin is hated by just about everyone he works with.

It’s kind of amazing, considering his rep, that nothing really negative came out about Mandy from the Homeland set, especially when it was at its peak hype.

by Anonymousreply 256May 4, 2020 12:36 AM

The real trick with these feuds lies with who was actually trying to tell the story they were brought into to help tell and the one who disrupted the flow or didn't want to do something everyone else was on board with.

With someone like Shelley Long, it doesn't sound like she was demanding rewrites to make her character nicer, omit swear words, or reshoot takes where she looked less attractive. It seemed to come from an actual interest in trying to tell the story. Her biggest crimes was not reading the room and caring too much about a fucking sitcom.

With Cybill, she clearly wanted to be seen in the best light even if it was at an injustice to the story or character. That's not someone who was on everyone else's team. Those are the ones who become the real problems.

by Anonymousreply 257May 4, 2020 12:38 AM

R9 , But they kept it under control. Only once showed on camera. When Fred and Ricky were behind bars And Ethel kissed Fred a foot away .

by Anonymousreply 258May 4, 2020 1:16 AM

R248: Frasier, Lilith, and Rebecca? Frasier was already on the show.

by Anonymousreply 259May 4, 2020 1:27 AM

R257 From what I remember of Cheers/Shelley Long is that Long understood that humiliation is funny. Diane's pretensions being exposed, falling flat on her ass. In humilation the character becomes vulnerable, likeable, human. When she left, Frasier Crane repeated the same act. Shelley Long is a great comic actress.

by Anonymousreply 260May 4, 2020 1:29 AM

[quote] [R248]: Frasier, Lilith, and Rebecca? Frasier was already on the show.

The point the writer was making was that the story purposes of Diane were so varied and important to the show that they had to be spread around to three characters when she was gone. It was not that Diane was literally replaced in season 6 by 3 new characters. (It was probably Owen Gleiberman in EW.)

by Anonymousreply 261May 4, 2020 1:33 AM

R226

R209 wrote "Other defenders of Shelley included the late Jay Thomas & Kate Mulgrew...."

She could've worded it better don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 262May 4, 2020 1:42 AM

Shelley Long has left a resume of genuinely funny performances and managed to stay out of the tabloids and for that she should be commended. Who cares if she was an actual professional at work. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 263May 4, 2020 2:11 AM

Actors can be very shy and insecure people. And sometimes this reads as being bitchy or standoffish or aloof. It happens in real life all the time. Sometimes people don't want to be part of the group and just stay to themselves and it creates unintended friction.

by Anonymousreply 264May 4, 2020 2:19 AM

Valerie Bertinelli ghosted Mackenzie Phillips, they both later reconciled.

Boyd Gaines and Val reportedly did not get along but I don't have a link just a vague memory from back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 265May 4, 2020 2:23 AM

I read that Lindsay Lohan's guest role on Ugly Betty was originally supposed to include more episodes, but she was a trainwreck on set, and America Ferrera had her released early.

by Anonymousreply 266May 4, 2020 2:35 AM

"I don't know about that. Based on everything Shirley's daughter has said, Shirley is on a completely different level"

Sure, but Shirley was reasonably able to keep it together at work. Debra Winger was NOT.

by Anonymousreply 267May 4, 2020 2:41 AM

Anthony Hopkins and Shirley MacComplaine

by Anonymousreply 268May 4, 2020 2:51 AM

Regarding how ugly it got on Ugly Betty:

[quote] There is also a report that in one scene, America is supposed to pants Lindsay, and she...wait for it...wasn't wearing any underwear. (Hey, I didn't make up this drivel.)

[quote] But that ain't true, says an unnamed member of the Lohan camp. One source says that Lindsay always wears underwear now, and that America pulled her pants down prematurely. "Lindsay was so embarrassed, she started crying," says the mole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 4, 2020 3:02 AM

Shirley was always a professional - on time, knew her lines, and delivered a great performance.She might have been a lousy mother, wife, partner, neighbor, friend, etc. but she's not one to cause a lot of drama on a set. Debra was the one who caused the issues on the set and acted unprofessionally. The reason she kept getting work for so long was that, at the end of the day, she turned in a great performance. Still, even if you keep turning in wonderful performance after wonderful performance, if you haven't grown enough as a person to stop being a self-absorbed cunt, people aren't going to want to work with you anymore.

The best actors sign on to a script having understood what's being asked of them and do the job without being a pain in the ass. Now, if the script is abruptly changed on the set, I think they have every right to speak their mind and have their concerns addressed since that's not the script they signed on for, but I have no respect for the spoiled actors who take up valuable time reshooting scenes because they didn't like they way they were lit or because they suddenly decided they didn't want to do the sex scene they agreed to that was in the script. That's just being a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 270May 4, 2020 3:15 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 4, 2020 3:18 AM

He didn't get along with Lucy either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 4, 2020 3:22 AM

I always wondered why SJP kept harrassing Kim Cattrell over not doing the third movie and then I realized of course, the money people won't make the movie without her. Accept no substitutes - no Sharon Stone instead. Sarah refused to cop to that. For her it was all about the audience and the team, meanwhile her flying monkeys were trashing Kim. They wanted her to make the movie to give them a paycheck. Sarah would have script control, the story would be about her, she'd be paid the most, but the movie couldn't be made without Kim. That's what they all can't stand. And the fact that the rest of them probably need the paycheck and she doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 273May 4, 2020 3:38 AM

Wasn't Debra Winger fucked up off her ass on almost every movie? Don't know what she was on, but Jack Nicholson too, which is why they both snickered about Shirley. But from what I understand (and once saw) Nicholson was very professional.

by Anonymousreply 274May 4, 2020 3:44 AM

[quote]Wasn't Debra Winger fucked up off her ass on almost every movie?

Every fucking day.

by Anonymousreply 275May 4, 2020 3:57 AM

Wow, I had no idea Tom Bosley was such an asshole to Marion Ross.

by Anonymousreply 276May 4, 2020 4:21 AM

seriously, R276.

He wasn't exactly the master thespian, either

by Anonymousreply 277May 4, 2020 4:28 AM

R276, you're right. Read both articles posted above. What an asshole!

by Anonymousreply 278May 4, 2020 4:33 AM

I've never heard anything bad about Lynda Carter, the tension on the WW set must've all come from Debra.

by Anonymousreply 279May 4, 2020 4:37 AM

Keanu Peeves and Sandra Bullock in the Lakehouse. They did not really want to work together.

by Anonymousreply 280May 4, 2020 4:49 AM

Keanu Peeves and Sandra Bullock in the Lakehouse. They did not really want to work together.

by Anonymousreply 281May 4, 2020 4:49 AM

It would be extremely difficult for me to work with Keanu Reeves, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about fucking him.

by Anonymousreply 282May 4, 2020 4:51 AM

Debra Winger has gotten precisely the career she deserves. More than she deserves, perhaps.

I was always suspicious of the sentimental narrative that she was just too much of a maverick, some brilliant natural talent who refused to play by industry conventions and kiss ass. (Some journalists/critics helped sustain that narrative, but it originated with her, of course.)

Debra Winger is a moderately talented actress with a very unpleasant personality who people do not care to work with. The End.

by Anonymousreply 283May 4, 2020 5:06 AM

R165 I find it hard to believe that the guy in charge of the Sundance Film Festival doesn't watch movies.

by Anonymousreply 284May 4, 2020 5:33 AM

r281 I can believe that they might not have been into the movie, but those two seem to be genuinely close. As close as Keanu gets to other stars

by Anonymousreply 285May 4, 2020 5:43 AM

I wonder how many of these feuds got started when one of the actors turned the other one down for sex. If you believe the rumors Bette Davis didn't get along with Miriam Hopkins and Joan because they propositioned her and she wasn't interested.

by Anonymousreply 286May 4, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote] Boyd Gaines and Val reportedly did not get along but I don't have a link just a vague memory from back in the day.

Boyd Gaines is so good at playing a pompous asshole that I could easily believe he’s a dick in real life. What is his reputation in the theater?

by Anonymousreply 287May 4, 2020 4:03 PM

Amanda on Married with Children looks hideous now. What a Bull.

by Anonymousreply 288May 4, 2020 4:09 PM

R288 She used to be so pretty. Have you ever seen the original Fright Night?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 4, 2020 4:19 PM

R284, there was no Sundance Film Festival in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 290May 4, 2020 4:26 PM

Emma Watson and just about everyone she ever worked with, or against. Universally hated cunt. Crews despise her.

Also, Rachel Griffiths. Vile smelling cunt who does everything she can to sabotage her co-stars' performances. Universally despised as well.

by Anonymousreply 291May 4, 2020 4:27 PM

I had no idea about Rachel Griffiths. And she stinks, too?

by Anonymousreply 292May 4, 2020 4:36 PM

Rachel Griffiths makes Julia Roberts feet seem like the smell like violets.

Yeast and terrible breath from her brown Turkish cigarettes and black coffee.

by Anonymousreply 293May 4, 2020 4:41 PM

I'm still waiting for R34 to tell us WTF that post is about.

by Anonymousreply 294May 4, 2020 5:01 PM

r294 I think r34 is talking about James and Dave Franco's grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 295May 4, 2020 5:04 PM

OH, OK, thank you, r295.

by Anonymousreply 296May 4, 2020 5:05 PM

R257 I think there is a difference though. In Shelley's case she was part of an ensemble. In Cybill's case the show was called "Cybill", she was one of the producers and no one else would have had the job without her being a big enough name (at the time) to get a vehicle made around her. If she wants her character written in a certain way then she will get it. It's different to say one of the Friends cast demanding funnier lines over their co stars. That would not go down well. The producer and titled star wanting funnier lines in their own show? Not a surprise. I think in the end it was to the detriment of the show itself but it was basically Cybill's show to ruin.

by Anonymousreply 297May 4, 2020 5:16 PM

MTM let her show be an ensemble. Whatever was best for the team.

by Anonymousreply 298May 4, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote] I find it hard to believe that the guy in charge of the Sundance Film Festival doesn't watch movies.

He’s not nor ever was in charge of SFF. It was started by John Earle and convicted sex offender Sterling Van Wagenen. Redford’s foundation just provided the money. He has next to nothing to do with the operations or programming, save occasional retrospectives of his own work or (early on) getting his friends to attend.

by Anonymousreply 299May 4, 2020 5:43 PM

R286 the Miriam Hopkins and Bette Davis conflict supposedly arose because Bette had an affair with Miriam's husband when they made a film together. Miriam gave the famous quip, "Bette is a greedy little girl at a party-table who just had to sample other women's cupcakes."

by Anonymousreply 300May 4, 2020 5:52 PM

Griffiths farts on set often before a sex scene and then laughs about it as if that was OK. People who have worked with her claim she must not wipe right after she takes a dump because the shit smell follows her everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 301May 4, 2020 5:54 PM

I don't get people who don't wash. Someone please explain it to me.

by Anonymousreply 302May 4, 2020 5:56 PM

This sounds personal R301. LOL. What did she do to you?

by Anonymousreply 303May 4, 2020 5:59 PM

Boyd does seem pompous but Valerie seemed kind of stuck up and full of herself around that time. Not a winning combination.

by Anonymousreply 304May 4, 2020 6:03 PM

An actor I knew had a small role in a film Melanie Griffith was in. She had him replaced in a scene they were in together because she said he stank. She was right because he rolls his own cigarettes. Fortunately he had another scene without her.

by Anonymousreply 305May 4, 2020 6:04 PM

Boyd was a professional Broadway actor, suddenly paired with an actress with little technical ability, whose entire character was based on flipping her hair and cracking a joke or two.

by Anonymousreply 306May 4, 2020 6:04 PM

While I'd say what most of these troublemaking people have in common is that they have very little talent (after all, you don't see Meryl Streep demanding more lines or to be lit in a certain way), I wonder how you can explain someone like Faye Dunaway who seems to bring trouble everywhere she goes, but who is legitimately talented. Same with Debra Winger. I love watching them on screen, but I'd never want to work with them. With them, it must be legitimate mental illness or drug problems.

The general rule of thumb is that, if an actor demands rewrites to make their character more likable or have more to do, new lighting to make them look prettier/younger, or another actor to be replaced because they're getting more laughs/attention than them, they're probably not a very good actor to begin with. Only people with zero self-esteem would do that.

by Anonymousreply 307May 4, 2020 6:21 PM

Sure r306 - but he accepted the job so I cannot really sympathize with him, unless Val was being a total bitch to him or something. Has either commented on the other since?

by Anonymousreply 308May 4, 2020 6:22 PM

Hugh Grant said Robert Downey Jr was mean to him on the set of Restoration

by Anonymousreply 309May 4, 2020 6:23 PM

She wrote a couple of books and left her TV husband out of both of them which is very telling about their working relationship. Like it never even existed.

by Anonymousreply 310May 4, 2020 6:28 PM

R306, don't forget laughing at her own jokes in the early seasons.

by Anonymousreply 311May 4, 2020 6:30 PM

[quote]In Cybill's case the show was called "Cybill", she was one of the producers and no one else would have had the job without her being a big enough name (at the time) to get a vehicle made around her. If she wants her character written in a certain way then she will get it.

While that is true, Cybill didn't understand the dynamics of the show. She was supposed to be the "straight man" on the show. She sets up the joke so somebody else can land the laugh. Cybil was not a comic actress. Had she wanted to be the one to land the laughs, she should have had the show set up differently from the beginning. You can't set up the premise of a show and then get mad because you aren't getting laughs. She should have studied Mary Tyler Moore's show to figure out how to be the glamourous lead and yet land a few laughs. And Valerie Harper was also an excellent case study. On MTM, Valerie was excellent at getting the laughs. When she was spun off on her own show, she had to cede laughs to Julie Kavner and Carlton the Doorman.

by Anonymousreply 312May 4, 2020 7:19 PM

Charlie Sheen and Selma Blair.

by Anonymousreply 313May 4, 2020 7:24 PM

R307 Speaking of Meryl and Faye and their varying degrees of professionalism, a few years ago, Rutanya Alda, who played Carol Ann in "Mommie Dearest" and John Savage's wife in "The Deer Hunter," gave an interview at a screening of "Mommie Dearest."

She talked about how Faye Dunaway would never be on set when it was time for Rutanya's closeups. Instead, some lackey would stand in and read Faye's lines while Rutanya played to that person for her closeups. She even talked about the scene where Carol Ann cries when she sees Joan Crawford in the casket at the end of the movie. Rutanya walks onto the set, and Faye has put a picture of herself in the coffin for Rutanya to play to!

Then she talked about how on the set of "The Deer Hunter," Meryl Streep would always be on set during the closeup scenes for the other actors and would read her lines and act just like she was on camera, even if she wasn't. She had nothing but nice things to say about Meryl. She said she always wondered what had caused Faye to be such a miserable person on set and often wondered why Faye was even in the movie business at all, since she genuinely seemed to hate everything about it.

by Anonymousreply 314May 4, 2020 7:25 PM

R312 oh I completely agree, her situation was just different. Cybill was actually great in the first season with Christine. Genuinely good chemistry and they were believable friends but when Christine was stealing the show and Chuck Lorre left you could see the tone change. In the end though that was Cybill's choice and shot herself in the foot. I did see an interview with a few years ago when Big Bang Theory hit some milestone. The interviewer asked her if she regretted Chuck Lorre leaving her show as it could've ran for much longer and she said she'd rather the show had ended after season 1 if she was forced to continue with him. She maybe said that to save face but I really wish Chuck Lorre would write a tell all. Cybill would probably get off the lightest compared to some of the nightmares he's worked with.

by Anonymousreply 315May 4, 2020 7:43 PM

So many characters in film and television were based on Cybill. Sharon Stone, Annette Bening, Catherine O’Hara and Katey Segal have all played a character based on her. And Annie Potts played a version of her on stage.

What makes it even more interesting is that both Segal and Potts has worked with her previously, so I doubt they would have agreed to play an unflattering version of her if they actually liked her.

There must be performances based on Faye Dunaway too? Cybill sounds like a royal pain but nothing in comparison to batshit crazy Faye!

by Anonymousreply 316May 4, 2020 9:34 PM

"Cybill would probably get off the lightest compared to some of the nightmares he's worked with."

Certainly you don't mean moi!!!

by Anonymousreply 317May 4, 2020 9:42 PM

Cybill is the classic case of a fairly unremarkable and untalented actress who didn't understand her range. Everything she ever did was to make herself look good, not to tell a story or suit a character. Sometimes, she got lucky and her ideas matched the creative team's, but she never really had "it." She was pleasant to watch in an aesthetic way, but her acting always reminded me of that overeager Baptist pastor's wife in the spring musical at some community theatre somewhere, especially on Cybill where she's constantly seem to be about to crack up at her own jokes as if to tell the audience "see, this isn't really me? Can you believe I said something so bawdy?"

by Anonymousreply 318May 4, 2020 9:51 PM

Speaking of Annie Potts she took some potshots at Delta Burke's weight after Delta left Designing Women. So she wasn't even going to pretend they were friends. I don't remember all of the details but that was another set filled with drama where a popular character was axed because the actress was a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 319May 4, 2020 10:00 PM

Re Merman, you can see it in the clip of "Annie Get Your Gun" from the Ed Sullivan Show in 1965. The entire chorus is focused on Merman, but Merman - even though she is blocked to move to various chorus members and sing to them - refuses to look at anyone and just focuses straight out. Apparently the only show where she didn't do this was "Gypsy." Unfortunately, Ethel learned from a bunch of old vaudevillians, and that style of acting was archaic even by the end of the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 320May 4, 2020 10:35 PM

R316 When did Katey Segal play a character based on Cybil?

by Anonymousreply 321May 4, 2020 10:38 PM

Alan Ball was a writer on Cybill and based the Catherine O'Hara character on Six Feet Under on her. That character was a holy terror.

by Anonymousreply 322May 4, 2020 10:47 PM

R301 = Muriel and she's quite terrible.

by Anonymousreply 323May 4, 2020 10:56 PM

Kevin James looked very unhappy on Kevin Can Wait. I can't imagine that Erinn Hayes was that much of a diva though that she would be disposed of so mercilessly.

by Anonymousreply 324May 4, 2020 11:06 PM

Was it Nathan Filion and Stana Katic who hated each other on the set of "Castle," or was it David Boreanz and Emily Deschanel on the set of "Bones?" I always get them mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 325May 4, 2020 11:07 PM

R320, I'd been told that she still did it in Gypsy as well, but it works for that character. Why would Rose look at anyone but herself anyway? She's the star of her own world. Maybe that's why they hired Ethel in the first place. They knew her style would fit the character.

by Anonymousreply 326May 4, 2020 11:36 PM

Wasn't the Newhart cast and crew annoyed with Mary Frann because she over emoted to try to steal scenes and she squeezed herself into the camera frame when it was unnecessary?

by Anonymousreply 327May 4, 2020 11:40 PM

Jimmie Walker didn't get along with both John Amos and Esther Rolle. He also didn't speak to Janet Jackson ("I don't speak to kids"). The tension between him and John Amos worked well for the parts they played, but I was surprised to hear about the indifference between him and Esther. It never showed in their performances together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328May 4, 2020 11:42 PM

Re: Merman/Lamas - supposedly during rehearsals for “Happy Hunting”, Merman called a friend and said, “Guess who’s got the biggest dick in Hollywood. Arlene Dahl!”

by Anonymousreply 329May 4, 2020 11:50 PM

Isn't he best friends with Ann Coulter? So weird.

by Anonymousreply 330May 4, 2020 11:50 PM

Makes you wonder how Ethel Merman got through "Hello Dolly" having to sing to the waiters.

by Anonymousreply 331May 5, 2020 12:01 AM

Here you go, r321 - CSI episode written by Chuck Lorre.

“Just make me funny. And lovable!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332May 5, 2020 1:32 AM

I guess they made up, r319. Annie Potts brought Delta on to that awful Lifetime show she did to play her sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 5, 2020 1:38 AM

R333 I loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 334May 5, 2020 1:42 AM

Tony Clifton and the cast of TAXI.

by Anonymousreply 335May 5, 2020 1:50 AM

That Katey Sagal episode of CSI was a riot. She played the insane bitch part to the hilt and was wonderful at it.

by Anonymousreply 336May 5, 2020 1:59 AM

Annie Potts, Bebe Neuwirth and Susan Blakely have played Cybill on stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337May 5, 2020 2:00 AM

I think it's pretty well-known that Esther Rolle's resentment came from the fact that "JJ" became the star of *her* show.

by Anonymousreply 338May 5, 2020 3:47 AM

[quote] Boyd was a professional Broadway actor, suddenly paired with an actress with little technical ability, whose entire character was based on flipping her hair and cracking a joke or two.

Boyd was nothing of the kind when he was on One Day at a Time. He didn't get to Broadway until 1989. Hell, he hadn't even done Porky's yet.

by Anonymousreply 339May 5, 2020 3:58 AM

R324 well that show ended up getting cancelled. So I guess no one was dying for a King Of Queens reunion.

R325 it was Stana and Nathan. I don't think David Boreanaz is too keen on Nicholas Brendon though.

by Anonymousreply 340May 5, 2020 5:06 AM

Tell us more about David Boreanaz not liking Nicholas Brendon.

by Anonymousreply 341May 5, 2020 5:12 AM

R341 Nicholas is an alcoholic/abuser. SMG wanted nothing do with him during the Buffy reunion. And David was being protective of her during the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 342May 5, 2020 5:22 AM

Actually Nicholas had a later call timevat David's demand. David left before Nick got there. Everyone else was still there.

David's also widely known to be an asshole. He treats crew like shit. Never heard a nice thing about him from one of the "little people".

by Anonymousreply 343May 5, 2020 5:28 AM

[Quote] David's also widely known to be an asshole. He treats crew like shit. Never heard a nice thing about him from one of the "little people".

Hasn't stopped him. David's been working consistently since Angel got cancelled. But his assholism was evident when he cheated on his pregnant wife.

by Anonymousreply 344May 5, 2020 6:43 AM

R344 he hasn't been off TV since Buffy. Buffy > Angel > Bones > Seal Team Whatever. I'm sure he's rich as fuck and honestly, I love his horror movie Valentine and yeah, I'd probably still do him.

But I've heard so many stories about how he treats the little people that I'm just like...jackass.

by Anonymousreply 345May 5, 2020 7:16 AM

[Quote] I love his horror movie Valentine

I love that terrible movie too.I feel like that's the only big movie he did.

[Quote] But I've heard so many stories about how he treats the little people that I'm just like...jackass.

Sounds like there's not a huge difference between David and Angelus (personality-wise).

by Anonymousreply 346May 5, 2020 7:41 AM

Kathleen Turner & Anthony Perkins in Crimes of Passion. They didn't get along and Perkins quickly realised which buttons to press to upset Turner.

Judy Davis drove River Phoenix to a drug overdose during the making of his last uncompleted film. By all accounts she is a horrible cunt.

by Anonymousreply 347May 5, 2020 8:30 AM

[quote]Maybe that's why they hired Ethel in the first place. They knew her style would fit the character.

No. The script of GYPSY is a real script, and real acting is required, whether Rose is a self-centered character or not. As it happens, both Sondheim and Laurents talked about being proud that their show was the only one where Merman actually related to the other actors. Jerry Robbins basically let her know that he was expecting something different from her usual schtick, and Merman was smart enough to know she needed to respect him and work her acting ass off on this one. It wasn't another "Happy Hunting," it was the highlight of her career, and she knew it.

by Anonymousreply 348May 5, 2020 9:33 AM

Boyd Gaines didn't get to Broadway till 1989, but he was a trained actor with a ton of regional stage credits (including at PCPA in CA) before he got ODAAT.

Speaking of which, wasn't it just last year that there was a troll who kept implying that Boyd was seriously ill and not able to take another job? And then he got cast in something last fall?

by Anonymousreply 349May 5, 2020 9:38 AM

Lynda Carter also treated Lyle Waggoner like shit on WW. His role was reduced and Carter acted bored in the seasons the show went to the present day.

by Anonymousreply 350May 5, 2020 10:34 AM

Wow, Chuck Lorre has a book in him. He had to deal with Roseanne, Cybill, Brett Butler and Charlie Sheen. Did Dharma and Greg hate each other?

by Anonymousreply 351May 5, 2020 10:39 AM

Bella Darvi was an actual concentration camp survivor who became Darryl Zanuck's mistress and hence an actress. When Mrs Zanuck found her Bela (who she had befriended) was fucking hubby that ended their marriage. He gave her a big role in The Egyptian which was to star Marlon Brando.

[quote] Marlon Brando was originally scheduled to appear opposite Darvi in the Technicolor epic The Egyptian (1954). During the script read-through before filming began, the pair disliked each other at first sight. Bella, cast as the courtesan Nefer, was also jeered by more experienced star Jean Simmons who laughed with other cast members that Darvi was "an actress who 'nefer' was." Just as filming was to start, Brando refused to make the film, his agent telling studio head Darryl F. Zanuck: "He doesn't like the director, he doesn't like the role. And he can't stand Bella Darvi!" Edmund Purdom was cast in the role.

I actually like the film but would fast forward through Bela's scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352May 5, 2020 10:53 AM

[quote]Did Dharma and Greg hate each other?

Well Thomas Gibson is mentioned above as having a difficult reputation and Jenna Elfman is a crazy $cieno so I can only imagine the stories Lorre could tell.

by Anonymousreply 353May 5, 2020 1:24 PM

The way Jimmie Walker describes his relationships with the Good Times co-stars is not unusual for most shows. They don't lunch together, they do not call each other after work, they don't socialize outside of work. In other words, a TV family is not a real family no matter what bullshit they spew in from of the cameras. Walker probably doesn't know this because he never got another regular role on a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 354May 5, 2020 2:06 PM

Nick Nolte and Jessica Lange hated each other during the making of "Cape Fear," and it bothered young Juliette Lewis so much that she went to director Martin Scorcese to express her concern.

But Scorcese liked the tension between the two actors, because it added to the sense of discord in the marriage of the two characters in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 355May 5, 2020 2:08 PM

Chang and Eng Bunker.

by Anonymousreply 356May 5, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] Judy Davis drove River Phoenix to a drug overdose during the making of his last uncompleted film.

No, but thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 357May 5, 2020 3:33 PM

r14 I posted this years ago but Kim owned a Pathfinder and would go to the dealership my ex was a manger at. Everyone said she was the nicest, down to earth women they dealt with..Kudos for her. Im thinking SJP was a real cunt to work with

by Anonymousreply 358May 5, 2020 3:38 PM

I find it REALLY hard to believe that Rachel Griffiths walks around wearing shit-smeared, stinking underwear. Sorry R301 I'm going to have to agree with R323 here.

by Anonymousreply 359May 5, 2020 4:29 PM

Peter Krause and Rachel Griffiths didn't get along at all.

by Anonymousreply 360May 5, 2020 4:36 PM

Peter Krause and his enormous penis

by Anonymousreply 361May 5, 2020 4:37 PM

R351 Gibson and Elfman did a cameo on Two and a Half Men playing unnamed characters who were clearly supposed to be Dharma and Greg, so I doubt Lorre has a problem with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362May 5, 2020 5:29 PM

That’s surprising since Gibson appears to be a bigger nut job than Cybill and Brett combined.

by Anonymousreply 363May 5, 2020 5:43 PM

Lorre worked on Dharma and Greg for its entire run. He didn't leave like he did Cybill, or have a star leave like on Two and a Half Men, so despite Gibson and Elfman being weirdos, I'm included to believe that there were no big issues.

by Anonymousreply 364May 5, 2020 5:50 PM

What's the story with Thomas Gibson?

by Anonymousreply 365May 5, 2020 5:52 PM

R365 Closet bisexual with rage issues

by Anonymousreply 366May 5, 2020 5:55 PM

R365 He got fired from Criminal Minds after multiple "altercations" with writers. He also got "catfished" by a woman on the internet while still married.

by Anonymousreply 367May 5, 2020 5:55 PM

R365 He got fired from Criminal Minds after multiple "altercations" with writers. He also got "catfished" by a woman on the internet while still married.

by Anonymousreply 368May 5, 2020 5:55 PM

Wasn’t the final straw on CM when he kicked one of the writers? Kicked!!!

by Anonymousreply 369May 5, 2020 5:58 PM

R369 Yup. He got in trouble for a couple of years before and was forced to complete anger management classes by CBS. I guess they didn't take.

by Anonymousreply 370May 5, 2020 6:01 PM

R369 Yup. He got in trouble for a couple of years before and was forced to complete anger management classes by CBS. I guess they didn't take.

by Anonymousreply 371May 5, 2020 6:01 PM

I'm sorry for the double posts.

by Anonymousreply 372May 5, 2020 6:02 PM

He tends to hate stinkfish.

by Anonymousreply 373May 5, 2020 6:04 PM

Didn't Thomas Gibson have a DUI problem during criminal minds?

by Anonymousreply 374May 5, 2020 8:24 PM

Did Pauli Perrette leave NCIS because of problems with Mark Harmon?

by Anonymousreply 375May 5, 2020 8:27 PM

Regarding Two and a Half Men, don't forget when the kid grew up, joined a religious group, and appeared in a youtube video in which he called the show filth and appealed to people not to watch it. While he was still on the show.

He was written off the show, but he did return for the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 376May 5, 2020 8:34 PM

How did Kelsey get along with his co-stars? He is conservative and he had to work with two, sometimes three Dan being third, gay regulars? Jane chose David late John and Peri to her child’s godparents, but not Kelsey.

by Anonymousreply 377May 5, 2020 8:35 PM

R376 If you had to spend you adolescence in close proximity to Charlie Sheen, you probably would've run screaming for Jesus too.

by Anonymousreply 378May 5, 2020 8:37 PM

R375 YES, that was all over the news, gurl

by Anonymousreply 379May 5, 2020 8:39 PM

R377, I've seen a few bits and pieces on t'Interwebz about the Cheers cast, and Kelsey Grammer seems no better or worse than most of them. They were all pretty dysfunctional at one time or another. I don't think he has a problem with gay - he's played gay before, and he was by all accounts very close to John Mahoney (who played his father in Frasier), and was deeply upset when he died. Mahoney is widely-believed, at least by DL, to have been gayer than the gayest gay who ever gayed. He and David Hyde Pierce have also said that they are as close as brothers.

Grammer deserves to be put in a blender (set to puree) for supporting Trump, but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 380May 5, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]Mahoney is widely-believed, at least by DL, to have been gayer than the gayest gay who ever gayed.

It's not rumor, dear - John Mahoney was never in.

by Anonymousreply 381May 5, 2020 9:02 PM

Eric Braden and Peter Bergman feuded violently and later reconsmiled.

by Anonymousreply 382May 5, 2020 9:59 PM

Sharon Osbourne and take your pick of half the people she has worked with.

by Anonymousreply 383May 5, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote] and later reconsmiled.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 384May 5, 2020 10:13 PM

R380 Thanks. Glad to know being gay was no problem

by Anonymousreply 385May 5, 2020 11:21 PM

Looking for some stuff about Kelsey and the Frasier cast I stumbled on this 16 (!) year old post on sitcomsonline.com's Cheers forum. It has some details about Kelsey's relationship with the cast and the Cheers set in general from an unauthorized biography on Kelsey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386May 5, 2020 11:40 PM

R359 I don't know if she does or doesn't, but farts dissipate and the stink of shit doesn't, and sometimes the shit smell doesn't leave her for like an hour while she's getting done for a scene. And don't ask me how I know.

by Anonymousreply 387May 5, 2020 11:53 PM

r386, the Cheers set sounds like a #metoo nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 388May 5, 2020 11:59 PM

It could be a shart R387.

by Anonymousreply 389May 6, 2020 2:56 AM

[quote] Eric Braden and Peter Bergman feuded violently and later reconsmiled

Maybe Bergman was still mourning the loss of Hans Gudegast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390May 6, 2020 3:50 AM

DIdn't Penny Marshall & Cindy Williams hate each other. Anyway, if they did it didn't show.

by Anonymousreply 391May 6, 2020 4:48 AM

They had some difficulties toward the end of the L and S run, but they patched things up later on. Not too long before Penny died, they did a joint interview for the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and it was really funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392May 6, 2020 4:59 AM

It's always funny that it's frequently people who aren't that talented who are problems...or, more accurately, people who THINK they're enormously talented but they're not.

Robert Redford was VERY pretty and had some charisma but he was never much of an actor. He was good playing vain pretty boys who were actually very weak but that really didn't require much acting.

And, I only really know Tom Bosley from his TV work but I find it hard to believe he was a brilliant stage presence, yet he seems to have a very high opinion of his supposed talent while looking down at others. He was fine on Happy Days (not really a role that required much from him, tbh...."genial dad" isn't that hard to play) and frankly he was TERRIBLE on Murder She Wrote...his Maine accent was embarrassingly awful.

As for Rhea Perlman, that bitch got lucky with a role she could do well (bitchy little troll) and she has attitude about other actors? Piss on her.

by Anonymousreply 393May 6, 2020 5:28 AM

As for Rhea Perlman, that bitch got lucky with a role she could do well (bitchy little troll)

Rhea was not the first choice. Janis Ian actually was offered the Carla role and turned it down because she refused to tie herself down with a seven year contract. She learned the truth at thirty-one, don't turn down a sure paycheck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394May 6, 2020 9:13 AM

[quote]I only really know Tom Bosley from his TV work but I find it hard to believe he was a brilliant stage presence, yet he seems to have a very high opinion of his supposed talent while looking down at others.

He won the 1960 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical. There was a lot of controversy about his being nominated in the Featured category as his was the title role and the largest part in the show. The show was Fiorello! about the famous former NYC Mayor La Guardia. The show itself shared the Tony Award for Best Musical with The Sound of Music that year and won the Pulitzer Prize for drama.

by Anonymousreply 395May 6, 2020 10:40 AM

There are actors I first knew as TV stars that I later learned had theatre careers too. Hal Linden is an example. But when I have seen bits of his singing for example on Tony Award shows I thought he was nothing special so maybe doing TV was better for him.

by Anonymousreply 396May 6, 2020 12:31 PM

I can't believe this thread is almost 400 posts long and no one has mentioned Data Lounge's totem, VIVIAN VANCE. She and William Frawley hated each other all through their years on "I Love Lucy."

Frawley: "She's one of the finest gals to come out of Kansas, and I often wish she'd go back there. I don't know where she is now and she doesn't know where I am. That's exactly the way I like it."

Vance: "I loathed William Frawley and the feeling was mutual. Whenever I received a new script, I raced through it, praying that there wasn't a scene where we had to be in bed together."

William Frawley died in 1966 at the age of 79, after seeing a movie and walking back to his hotel. When she heard the news, Vivian Vance was dining in a restaurant. Her reputed reply to the news was: "Champagne for everybody!"

There is plenty more about this online.

by Anonymousreply 397May 6, 2020 12:57 PM

R397 Vance and Frawley were mentioned upthread.

by Anonymousreply 398May 6, 2020 1:26 PM

Thank you, R398. Data Lounge's fabulously flawed search function failed again. I did check to see if they were mentioned, even mentioning that it was odd that they had not been. And, but of course, they were. Ah, well. Muriel is again asleep at the wheel. Or passed out.

by Anonymousreply 399May 6, 2020 1:29 PM

[quote]Vance: "I loathed William Frawley and the feeling was mutual. Whenever I received a new script, I raced through it, praying that there wasn't a scene where we had to be in bed together."

You have to question the authenticity of this quotation, as there was no way the network would allow them to be in bed together.

by Anonymousreply 400May 6, 2020 3:07 PM

They were in bed together R400. When they were driving to Hollywood and they stayed at that place where the bed moved when the train went by.

by Anonymousreply 401May 6, 2020 3:22 PM

"They were in bed together [R400]. When they were driving to Hollywood and they stayed at that place where the bed moved when the train went by."

And in the Monte Carlo episode, Ricky walks in while Fred is sucking Ethel's tits but that was only seen once, live, and got cut from syndication.

by Anonymousreply 402May 6, 2020 3:37 PM

R402 is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 403May 6, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] Gibson and Elfman did a cameo on Two and a Half Men playing unnamed characters who were clearly supposed to be Dharma and Greg, so I doubt Lorre has a problem with him.

Lorre does that in pilots sometimes. In the Mom pilot Jon Cryer (Two And A Half Men) has a cameo in a restaurant scene where Christy, Ana Faris, works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404May 6, 2020 3:56 PM

I don't know if they hated one another, but on Diff'rent Strokes, Todd Bridges hated that Gary Coleman got all the attention.

by Anonymousreply 405May 6, 2020 5:35 PM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406May 6, 2020 5:42 PM

Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan on Star Trek Voyager. They hated each other.

I think it was Garrett Wang who became disliked by nearly the entire cast due to his late night partying and consequently showing up for work the next day, hung over, unprepared, and always late.

by Anonymousreply 407May 7, 2020 8:06 AM

Everybody on Voyager hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 408May 7, 2020 11:47 AM

R407 Kate has admitted it. Jeri has spoken it wasn’t easy to join the cast

by Anonymousreply 409May 7, 2020 11:56 AM

R409 She did. Although I think they are friends now. Mulgrew was the lead, the female lead of the show. Janeway wasn't a sex bomb. She was determined, intelligent, resourceful etc. Kind of a feminist role model. Then the producers bring in Jeri Ryan, in a sexy skin tight cat suit, huge boobs...So Mulgrew resented Ryan, misplaced resentment really as it was the prooducers call. And Seven turned out to be a very popular and successful addition to the show.

by Anonymousreply 410May 7, 2020 12:08 PM

Garett gets emotional

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411May 7, 2020 1:26 PM

The cast of “Grey’s Anatomy” all hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 412May 7, 2020 2:05 PM

R412 Katherine and T.R seemed close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413May 7, 2020 2:25 PM

It's amazing how long Grey's Anatomy has run, given what a contentious set it has always been.

by Anonymousreply 414May 7, 2020 3:25 PM

It's amazing how long Grey's Anatomy has run, given what a contentious set it has always been.

by Anonymousreply 415May 7, 2020 3:25 PM

Never a good sign when a character leaves off screen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416May 7, 2020 4:20 PM

r395

Thanks for the theater history lesson you cribbed off Wikipedia but I'm very much aware of Mr. Bosley's Broadway success...as I mentioned in my original post, I just find it hard to believe he really was that brilliant onstage considering he wasn't that dynamic on television and had zero business having an attitude with Marion Ross who was herself a very accomplished stage actress when she was cast on Happy Days (and has subsequently proven herself to be a far more interesting actor than Mr. Bosley, playing a rich variety of roles through the years instead of the dreck ole shitty Tom did for a paycheck.)

by Anonymousreply 417May 7, 2020 10:07 PM

Marion Ross was excellent in Brooklyn Bridge. It's too bad that show didn't last longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418May 7, 2020 10:17 PM

Chevy Chase and the cast of Community. If you watch long enough, you start to see a pattern where Pierce (Chase's character) is in an establishing scene with everyone and then embarks on a solo storyline while the other characters all stick together. Not every time, but quite often

by Anonymousreply 419May 7, 2020 10:26 PM

Doesn't everyone hate Chevy Chase? I've never heard anyone compliment him.

by Anonymousreply 420May 7, 2020 11:34 PM

You work with Chevy Chase and you get what you deserve at this point. He's been an asshole from the beginning and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem that age has mellowed him. In fact, it might have made it worse now that he doesn't even have his looks and a string of hit movies to his name.

by Anonymousreply 421May 8, 2020 12:21 AM

R417, fuck you. I'm an eldergay musical theater queen and didn't have yo crib it off of WP, I remembered it. And I think Marion Ross is very talented and have always enjoyed her work. But sometimes people just hate each other, like we do. Or at least I do you. Drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 422May 8, 2020 12:52 AM

OOOOH!

I got snapped!!!!

R422 Bitch, don't try to "Theater Queen 'Splain" shit to another Theater Queen!!

Now, sit back down in your mobility scooter and have another highball before you cause yourself a mischief.

by Anonymousreply 423May 8, 2020 6:39 AM

Now I've seen it all. We have a Marion Ross troll.

by Anonymousreply 424May 8, 2020 10:16 AM

Ellen Holly and Erika Slezak. More on Ellen's part. She was an original cast member and Slezak was a replacement for the brilliant Gillian Spencer. After her original sl Holly was forever backburner while Slezak became the all time Emmy champ.

by Anonymousreply 425May 9, 2020 3:18 AM

You have devastated me, r423. i stand humbled and chastened.

by Anonymousreply 426May 9, 2020 4:37 AM

Chevy Chase definitely has an asshole rep

by Anonymousreply 427May 9, 2020 4:42 AM

Remember Linda Fiorentino?

A good example of that Debra Winger phenomena: if you have some talent and looks and score some lucky breaks, but virtually all of your colleagues, costars, and directors are complete and utter assholes, time after time, there's one conclusion....

The complete and utter asshole is you.

Bye, girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428May 9, 2020 5:04 AM

That interview with the cast of Arrested Development. Totally bummed me out. I love that show. To see how Jeffrey Tambor was bullying Jessica Walter. And Jason Bateman sticking up for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429May 9, 2020 5:41 AM

Rumour has it that Nicole Kidman & Sandra Bullock didn't get along making Practical Magic though its hard to tell because the film is such a piece of shit anyway.

by Anonymousreply 430May 9, 2020 5:59 AM

Jason Bateman has always given me asshole vibes.

by Anonymousreply 431May 9, 2020 7:16 AM

I love Arrested Development so that's really hard to read. But fuck Tambor.

by Anonymousreply 432May 9, 2020 5:11 PM

Tambor has been running around in a dress since he was on Hill Street Blues in the early 80s Who could have guessed he might have issues ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433May 9, 2020 5:49 PM

Tambor has always been a troublemaker, a sexual harrasser, an asshole supreme since the beginning of time.

by Anonymousreply 434May 9, 2020 6:00 PM

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT could have and should have retained its luster as too-good-to-last if it had never come back for the additional Netflix seasons. They were largely disappointing and made the creators and performers look greedy and desperate, as opposed to the cool underdogs everyone thought they were back when it was on Fox.

I cannot imagine who will hire Jeffrey Tambor now, particularly after TRANSPARENT eliminated him so publicly.

by Anonymousreply 435May 9, 2020 7:42 PM

The Andrews Sisters weren't speaking to each by the end of the run of their Broadway musical Over Here! The planned national tour was canceled because of the feud.

The reason according to the mainstream media was that Patty had negotiated a much better deal with the producers than had Maxene, with all kinds of perks like free limousine service. The sisters had negotiated their contracts separately, not together. Maxene was indeed very upset.

But only the National Enquirer, years later, posted the rest of the story. During the run of the show, Maxene quietly came out as lesbian and regularly went to girl bars after the show. Uptight fundamentalist Christian Patty was livid and stopped speaking to her. Maxine spent years trying to reconcile with Patty and they were at least finally on speaking terms at the time of Maxine's death.

by Anonymousreply 436May 9, 2020 7:56 PM

Richard Harris (everyone hated him) and Julie Andrews on Hawaii ('66).

Mega asshole Lawrence Harvey. There isn't an actress alive or dead for that matter that doesn't have endless stories about his insane behavior on set. Maybe that explains the lack of chemistry with most of his co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 437May 9, 2020 11:21 PM

Laurence Harvey and Capucine hated working with each other on Walk on the Wild Side. It showed - they had zero chemistry. Though it didn't help that both of them were miscast.

by Anonymousreply 438May 9, 2020 11:33 PM

Richard Harris was a drunken hell-raiser who was probably a pain to work with, but his talent usually shone through.

by Anonymousreply 439May 10, 2020 12:22 AM

There’s a terrific chapter about Richard Harris in Jimmy Webb's otherwise entirely self-serving memoir, The Cake In The Rain. From the sounds of it, Harris was an alcoholic, rage-aholic mess.

by Anonymousreply 440May 10, 2020 12:26 AM

Supposedly Hepburn and Barrymore hated each other on the set of A Bill of Divorcement

by Anonymousreply 441May 10, 2020 12:34 AM

Jerry Douglas explains it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442May 10, 2020 1:36 AM

R441 - source? I have only heard Hepburn's account of shooting her first scene with him and she is complimentary.

by Anonymousreply 443May 10, 2020 1:51 AM

R400, Ethel and Fred shared the bed in the famous First Stop episode. I can imagine she was saying that even being in twin beds pushed together the way Lucy and Ricky had would have been torture.

by Anonymousreply 444May 10, 2020 2:09 AM

"If I told you some of the things that son of a bitch has done to me, you wouldn't believe it!" - Elaine Stritch on her "The Time of the Barracudas" co-star, Laurence Harvey. The critics loved Elaine, they hated Larry. She had had enough of him though, and quit.

"There are actors' actors, and then there are the Laurence Harveys. With them, it's like acting by yourself." - Jane Fonda on "Walk on the Wild Side" co-star Laurence Harvey

"The tales I can tell of working with him are too horrendous to repeat!" - Lee Remick on "The Running Man" co-star Laurence Harvey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445May 10, 2020 2:15 AM

This video covers Harris' up and down career concisely. The stories about his clash with Brando on "Mutiny on the Bounty" are funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446May 10, 2020 5:24 AM

I was reading the imdb trivia for Charlie's Angels (yes, I've officially run out of things to do in isolation) and there's a Shelley Hack troll there who has entered a ton of stuff about what a bitch Cheryl Ladd was to Shelley and, later, Tanya Roberts. Supposedly the disdain she has for both actresses is visible on the show. I don't remember those seasons as well so I don't know how true this is. Despite the more famous Kate Jackson/Cheryl Ladd friction I never really saw any evidence on the show that they didn't like each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447May 10, 2020 1:54 PM

Speaking of Charlie's Angels, Bill Murray and Lucy Liu hated each other on the set of the 2000 film. It was in all the gossip press at the time.

by Anonymousreply 448May 10, 2020 2:01 PM

Bill Murray is a talented comic actor, undeniably, but can be a huge asshole. Legendarily so. Lucy Liu was hardly the one to have a bad experience with him.

by Anonymousreply 449May 10, 2020 2:37 PM

Cheryl and Jaclyn became good friend because they're both ultra right wingers.

by Anonymousreply 450May 10, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote] there's a Shelley Hack troll there who has entered a ton of stuff about what a bitch Cheryl Ladd was to Shelley and, later, Tanya Roberts. Supposedly the disdain she has for both actresses is visible on the show.

I actually don’t like Cheryl Ladd but I doubt this is true. Cheryl has gone on record saying she felt Shelley got a raw deal (radio silence from Jaclyn Smith) and she has been spotted socially with Tanya in the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 451May 10, 2020 3:04 PM

I heard that Yvonne De Carlo couldn't stand Al Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 452May 11, 2020 12:29 AM

Norm Rose and Dr. Joyce Brothers did not get along AT ALL on One Life To Live.

by Anonymousreply 453May 11, 2020 11:06 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454May 12, 2020 2:30 AM

Anyone know if Michael C. Hall and Matthew St. Patrick got along on Six Feet Under? I know people wanted them to be together but I never saw much chemistry and often sensed dislike between them.

by Anonymousreply 455May 12, 2020 3:33 AM

Robert Mitchum and Katharine Hepburn on the set of Undercurrent

by Anonymousreply 456May 12, 2020 10:46 PM

Jane Fonda has talked about how greatly she was disliked by Katherine Hepburn and the friction it created on the set of "On Golden Pond." Not sure it shows in the movie, because Hepburn always seemed to hold everyone in contempt.

by Anonymousreply 457May 12, 2020 10:55 PM

Betty Buckley was escorted off the set of Simply Irresistible right before the lunch break at Silvercup East Studios in NY. She’d been a cunt from the very beginning of production. She was late to set because she kept the driver waiting a half hour in front of her building. She proceeded to blame the costume designer for keeping her up too late for an emergency fitting at her apartment the night before but it was SHE who showed up for it an hour late because she was partying. Final straw was while working in a scene with Sarah Michelle Gellar just before lunch she insisted they shoot from the other side of her face. A make-up gal told me “She made Sarah Michelle cry at one point. Big mistake.” Sarah Michelle was a silent producer on the film. Bye, bye Betty. And she looked like shit in the remaining footage of her which ended up in the final cut. All departments went all out to sabotage her looks onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 458May 12, 2020 11:18 PM

Liza and Judy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459May 13, 2020 12:41 AM

R456 - Mitchum denied this in his TCM Robert Osborne interview.

by Anonymousreply 460May 13, 2020 1:15 AM

This may be a bit obscure but Wagon Train: “ Ward Bond (Major Seth Adams) and Robert Horton (Flint McCullough) did not get along on the set. According to Horton, Bond spread rumors about his sexuality.”

Bond, BTW, was a bestie of John Wayne. Also, at a gathering of granny gays in WEHO, I heard Larry Hagman hated the gay dude who played Mikey Trotter and hated Donna Reed. Unsubstantiated gossip but who could hate Donna Reed?

by Anonymousreply 461May 13, 2020 1:44 AM

I am so afraid someone is going to come here and tell me that Mabel and Olive hate each others guts.

by Anonymousreply 462May 13, 2020 1:54 AM

Didn't Community kill off Chevy Chase's character for the reunion? LOL

He really must have been a piece of shit.

He's

by Anonymousreply 463May 13, 2020 2:15 AM

"Unsubstantiated gossip but who could hate Donna Reed?"

I thought I read somewhere that Monty Clift didn't like her when they did From Here To Eternity

by Anonymousreply 464May 13, 2020 2:18 AM

Reed was on Dallas for awhile and I thought I remembered reading she didn't have much good to say about it or admitted she only did it for the money. Her imdb says she was in the process of suing the Dallas producers when she died but didn't say what the lawsuit was about.

by Anonymousreply 465May 13, 2020 2:23 AM

R465. Barbara Bel Geddes left either due to health reasons or because the producers wouldn't meet her salary demands (depending on who you ask). So she was replaced with Donna Reed. But after one season, Bel Geddes wanted back on the show because she couldn't stand to see somebody else play Miss Ellie. Reed, however, refused to quit and threatened to sue. The cast and crew, lead by Hagman, wanted their beloved Barbara back, so they treated Reed poorly, hoping to drive her out. Producers finally fired her during the off season and brought back Bel Geddes.

by Anonymousreply 466May 13, 2020 2:52 AM

[Quote] Betty Buckley was escorted off the set of Simply Irresistible right before the lunch break at Silvercup East Studios in NY.

I never thought I'd see Simply Irresistible get mentioned on here.

by Anonymousreply 467May 13, 2020 11:39 AM

"I heard that Yvonne De Carlo couldn't stand Al Lewis."

Yeah, I heard the same thing at the hairdressers six weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 468May 13, 2020 6:16 PM

Haha, R467. It was known as Vanilla Fog in production. After Betty was escorted off set the remainder of her scenes to be shot were rewritten for the young black actor playing SMG’s character’s friend.

by Anonymousreply 469May 13, 2020 6:21 PM

I have worked with Boyd Gaines several times and he is one of the nicest people one could ever meet. One of the reasons he worked so much in theater is that he is drama free.

by Anonymousreply 470May 13, 2020 6:53 PM

R469 lol Vanilla Fog would be a more memorable title.

by Anonymousreply 471May 14, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote]Franco and Cavill worked together on Tristan and Isolde. Franco was a jerk to him, and then later shaded Cavill for being so happy he finally got to play Superman. James is a tool. Good riddance he is blackballed now.

How exactly did he shade him? I also remember he was a jerk to Tyrese Gibson shooting Annapolis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472May 18, 2020 2:24 PM

Some good stories. Keep them coming.

I've often wondered why Betty Buckley didn't have more of a film/TV career. She was always photogenic. Until she put on weight in recent years, she had matured into a handsome, appealing older woman, and she's a better actress than Blythe Danner and some other women her age who seem to score a lot of supporting work in TV and films.

OTOH, Blythe Danner isn't batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 473May 18, 2020 2:45 PM

No way is Buckley a better actress than Danner.

by Anonymousreply 474May 18, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote]I've often wondered why Betty Buckley didn't have more of a film/TV career.

Betty and Mandy Patinkin should have done a tv series where they played a Broadway couple like Lunt & Fontanne. Each of them could have sang on a couple of episodes, Mandy's personality would be perfect for a bombastic theater actor who is eyeing young chorus girls on the side and Betty's steely demeanor would have been great for the calculating leading lady who gets the supporting actress fired. Throw in Paula Pell as the mouthy personal assistant and John Slattery as the smarmy agent. That's what Smash should have been.

by Anonymousreply 475May 18, 2020 3:22 PM

The Lee Majors - Barbara Stanwyck story sounds very plausible, but I always thought she seemed the most maternal with him. They had a nice chemistry. Maybe because in the early shows her character went out of her way to show Heath that she viewed him as one of the family, even if he was not technically her son. I still catch it in repeats occasionally. Some of the episodes have held up pretty well. It was not a bad show and seems like it could have gone on a few more seasons.

I remember watching the Tonight Show after the Cheers finale. Most of the cast, except Danson I believe, was visibly drunk and acted like they were twenty year old college students. I can see them not being happy with someone trying to work hard to get her character right.

I just watched the first season on Netflix. Carla is a good foil for Diane, but is not really that funny of a character (I was also surprised to find how a little Coach goes a long way). If I remember correctly Carla just gets meaner as the series continues. By the last season, all of the characters seem to truly hate each other or at least view each other with contempt. The actors on set might have gotten along at that time, but the fictional bar itself seemed like a pretty toxic place.

by Anonymousreply 476May 18, 2020 3:24 PM

R485 and R486, Hagman did not like Donna Reed from day one. Barbara Bel Geddes left because of health issues, not money. The strain of working long hours on a series took its toll on her. The producers would not accommodate her, so she left the show. Donna Reed just did not click as Miss Ellie. Surprisingly, she lacked the warmth mixed with steel spine that Bel Geddes brought to the role. She just never fit in. I'm sure it didn't help that Larry Hagman hated her right away.

After having a lot of time off, Bel Geddes began to heal. Hagman and Linda Gray started to reach out to Bel Geddes to entice her to come back. Hagman pushed the producers to give Bell Geddes more money AND to accommodate her request for a reduced work schedule. I mean, everyone could see Donna Reed just didn't work in the part. For the first and only time, Dynasty beat out Dallas in the ratings that season, and many blamed it on Donna Reed, which probably isn't fair. Everyone jumped at the chance to get the "real" Miss Ellie back, especially as they were losing Patrick Duffy that year, too. Reed did sue but died and it went nowhere. Apparently she was bitter about getting fired until the end.

by Anonymousreply 477May 18, 2020 3:48 PM

Donna Reed was miscast but Dallas treated her like shit.

by Anonymousreply 478May 18, 2020 4:05 PM

When Babs Bel Geddes left Dallas, they should have brought in Elaine Stritch to play Miss Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 479May 18, 2020 4:06 PM

No, they should have brought in Dame Edna to play Miss Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 480May 18, 2020 4:52 PM

Gena Rowlands would have made a fabulous Miss Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 481May 18, 2020 5:46 PM

When Bel Geddes left, Hagman wanted his mother Mary Martin cast as Ellie, and he took it out on Reed when he didn't get his way.

by Anonymousreply 482May 18, 2020 5:52 PM

Did he want Miss Ellie to eat Sue Ellen's snatch during sweeps?

by Anonymousreply 483May 18, 2020 5:59 PM

Buckley is more known for her stage work, but I find her to be usually far less mannered on film than on stage. I've seen her a handful of times on stage and always walked away thinking that she was one of the coldest performers I'd ever seen. She used to have a fantastic voice, but as that's diminished over the years, her lack of charm and charisma have become more and more abundant. Casting her in a role like Dolly only put a spotlight on it.

It's odd, because she was incredibly warm and appealing as the gym teacher in Carrie. I know she has it in her, but maybe it takes the right director to bring it out.

by Anonymousreply 484May 18, 2020 6:15 PM

In the film version of 1776, Danner got the role Buckley played on Broadway.

I didn't see Buckley, but Danner was a total delight as Martha Jefferson.

by Anonymousreply 485May 18, 2020 6:30 PM

Cunts Charlie Sheen and Sean Young out-cunted each other during the filming of Wall Street. And they barely had any scenes together!

by Anonymousreply 486May 18, 2020 6:39 PM

Buckley was also good on 8 is Enough as well as Tender Mercies.

by Anonymousreply 487May 18, 2020 6:43 PM

Heather"The Fall Guy" Thomas in an interview with Late Night with David Letterman said that "Lee Majors worshiped Barbara Stanwyck". Letteman then asked her if he lit candles for her. The audience laughed.

by Anonymousreply 488May 18, 2020 7:12 PM

Buckley was originally cast as the matriarch in Brothers and Sisters but got replaced by the flying nun. Yes, The Sally Field Programme is a DL favorite but I would have loved to see BB in the role. With all the other behind the scenes crazy on that show can you imagine if she’d been in the mix as well?!

by Anonymousreply 489May 18, 2020 7:14 PM

Buckley was originally cast in a lot of things she ended up not doing.

by Anonymousreply 490May 18, 2020 7:33 PM

James Caan and Bette Midler hated each other on "For the Boys." The list of Bette's disgruntled costars is lengthy.

by Anonymousreply 491May 18, 2020 7:39 PM

Maybe, but never forget....

I closed SONG & DANCE on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492May 18, 2020 7:41 PM

[Quote] With all the other behind the scenes crazy on that show can you imagine if she’d been in the mix as well?!

How crazy was the B&S set???

by Anonymousreply 493May 19, 2020 5:39 AM

R232 Fuck that midget cunt Jordan.

He's vile

by Anonymousreply 494May 19, 2020 6:00 AM

Oh man there used to be epic threads about B&S here. Not sure if they still exist. There was tons of drama and affairs and fighting behind the scenes. Sally Field was fucking Dave Annable. Calista Flockhart and Rob Lowe hated each other. I feel like there was some kind of friction between Matthew Rhys and Rachel Griffiths but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Balthazar Getty got fired for drugs? booze? sexual harrassment? I think there was even a story about Sally Field blowing up at the cast for all the petty dramas and unprofessionalism. Someone else will remember more details than me. It's a shame the imdb message boards are gone because I'm sure there was a ton of gossip and info there as well.

by Anonymousreply 495May 19, 2020 6:09 AM

R495 someone bumped one of the threads a few months ago. Rob Lowe causing friction isn't a huge shock lol. But I was surprised to hear about Dave and Sally. That's all I remember. I wish I knew about DL when the show was still on the air 😔

by Anonymousreply 496May 19, 2020 6:39 AM

R495 someone bumped one of the threads a few months ago. Rob Lowe causing friction isn't a huge shock lol. But I was surprised to hear about Dave and Sally. That's all I remember. I wish I knew about DL when the show was still on the air 😔

by Anonymousreply 497May 19, 2020 6:39 AM

I loved those "Sally Field Programme" threads! There was a recap for just about every new episode of B&S. (Back when DL had real trafffic! Sigh.)

I do recall that (allegedly) everyone hated Rachel Griffiths, who was notoriously difficult and unhygienic (smells bad and chain smokes). Yes, Balthazar Getty was a druggy (and untalented) disaster and basically written off the show. The series became a power grab between the original team (writer/producer Jon Robin Baitz, fired from his own show; Calista Flockhart, who was supposed to be The Star and more central to the story) and newbies like Greg Berlanti (new showrunner) and director Ken Olin and his wife, Patricia Wettig who played Holly. Backstage drama for days.

by Anonymousreply 498May 19, 2020 3:11 PM

"No way is Buckley a better actress than Danner."

Oh, way. Way, way, way. Try to have Ms. Danner command a audience of 1500 as Norma Desmond. Ah, didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 499May 19, 2020 3:55 PM

I agree, R499. Nothing against Danner (I don't even hold spawning Gwyneth against her), but I think she's had as good a career as her talents merit.

There's a sentimental narrative on DL that if only circumstances were different, she should have had a much bigger film/theatre career. I'm not sure what that's based on.

by Anonymousreply 500May 19, 2020 4:03 PM

"Barbara Stanwyck story sounds very plausible, but I always thought she seemed the most maternal with him...her character went out of her way to show Heath that she viewed him as one of the family, even if he was not technically her son."

If Stanwyck had had her way, the Lee Majors character would have been HER illegitimate son, not her dead husband's. Stanwyck said that in a book interview. But this was the 1960s, and plot lines were not allowed to be that interesting contrary to popular opinion.

by Anonymousreply 501May 19, 2020 10:00 PM

Sally Field was fucking Dave Annabelle?

by Anonymousreply 502May 20, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote]Sally Field was fucking Dave Annabelle?

Yes, praise the power of Gidget pussy!

by Anonymousreply 503May 20, 2020 2:45 AM

Remember around the time of Shakespeare in Love, when Judy Dench complained to the press that costar Gwyneth Paltrow wouldn't talk to her and that she appeared to breathe a "rarified air".

by Anonymousreply 504May 20, 2020 2:50 AM

Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit on Captain Kangaroo.

by Anonymousreply 505May 20, 2020 4:37 AM

Baby's First Butcher Shop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506May 20, 2020 5:00 AM

^^ Oops.

by Anonymousreply 507May 20, 2020 5:02 AM

^^ Oops.

by Anonymousreply 508May 20, 2020 5:02 AM

R504 no i don't but that's hilarious. I'd love to know what she thinks of Goop now.

by Anonymousreply 509May 20, 2020 5:29 AM

Clearly the industry does not care for Glenn Close, or she would've won the Oscar. You know, the one she assumed she'd win.

by Anonymousreply 510May 20, 2020 5:55 AM

I legitimately thought Glenn Close was the mother of Robin Williams. They have the same face!

by Anonymousreply 511May 20, 2020 8:52 AM

R511 Especially now.

by Anonymousreply 512May 20, 2020 2:40 PM

R511, I thought she was the mother of John Lithgow. Except he's a little more feminine...

by Anonymousreply 513May 21, 2020 7:30 AM

one of my fave shows....she was as good as lucy in my book, very popular in its day...good times!

by Anonymousreply 514May 21, 2020 9:05 AM

I believe her show was pre lucy...its said lucy copied her.

by Anonymousreply 515May 21, 2020 9:05 AM

What are R514 and R515 talking about? The Big Valley? Kaptain Kangaroo? Brothers and SIsters?

The idea that Lucy copied any of them is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 516May 21, 2020 1:28 PM

I think he is referring to Joan Davis and I Married Joan which was referenced earlier in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 517May 21, 2020 2:05 PM

Woody Allen and Mia Farrow in Husbands and Wives.

by Anonymousreply 518May 21, 2020 2:09 PM

Lucy started in Oct. 1951. Joan began in Oct. 1952. Leaves no doubt which show copied the other.

by Anonymousreply 519May 21, 2020 2:47 PM

Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones in Back Roads (1981).

by Anonymousreply 520May 23, 2020 5:38 AM

And Lucy was based on My Favorite Husband which debuted in 1948, so that's pretty conclusive.

by Anonymousreply 521May 23, 2020 6:13 AM

Entirely correct, r521, right down to the fact that many of early ILL scripts were simple rewrites of earlier radio My Favorite Wife scripts by the same team of writers.

by Anonymousreply 522May 23, 2020 6:39 AM

Nicol Williamson and Evan Handler in I Hate Hamlet. Something about a sword...

by Anonymousreply 523May 23, 2020 7:19 AM

Nicol Williamson and the cast of Rex, one of Richard Rodgers' last musicals, about Henry VIII. Williamson misheard something a chorus boy said during curtain calls and walked over and slapped him. The chorus member dropped out of the show but the producers had to pay him a pretty penny to keep him from filing Equity charges.

by Anonymousreply 524May 23, 2020 7:33 AM

in life tho, its rumored lucy copied joan's vaudeville act and comic timing, joan was older

by Anonymousreply 525May 23, 2020 8:02 AM

I don't know whether to hug you or slap you, troll r252.

by Anonymousreply 526May 23, 2020 8:22 AM

R445---I nominated Laurence Harvey on the WORST ACTOR EVER thread. This guy is so fucking wooden even Pinocchio thinks he's awful.

"'There are actors' actors, and then there are the Laurence Harveys. With them, it's like acting by yourself.' - Jane Fonda on "Walk on the Wild Side" co-star Laurence Harvey"

by Anonymousreply 527May 23, 2020 3:20 PM

I think Muriel has been deleting selected posts because my post at r526 referencing post r252 no longer goes to the post I was referring to. Or maybe I'm just a doofus who made a mistake myself.

by Anonymousreply 528May 23, 2020 3:47 PM

R525, Lucy copied many people, including Buster Keaton and Carole Lombard. I can absolutely hear echoes of Lombard in her delivery. Joan, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 529May 23, 2020 3:48 PM

Laurence Harvey was effective in two films: ROOM AT THE TOP, where he plays a coldly calculating, ambitious young man, and THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, where he plays a cold, messed up soldier.

He was known to be a nasty piece of work, though he was good friends with Joanna Pettet for a good while.

The casting in WALK ON THE WILD SIDE was bizarre, especially Harvey and Capucine. Only Fonda and Stanwyck suited their roles.

by Anonymousreply 530May 23, 2020 6:26 PM

*sigh*

I too fondly, longingly, recall the Brothers & Sisters ( The Sally Field Programme) threads. That show brought it for at least the first two seasons, however, mid 3rd season, the writing had gone to hell, widely noticed an commented on.

Anyway, I've read the entire thread, and I'll be embarrassed and checking my neurons if it's already posted...

I read here at the Good Old DL that Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellweger were antagonistic to each other, (and not for the sake of their characters, their dislike for each other was real) both on the set of "Chicago" and during promoting it.

by Anonymousreply 531May 23, 2020 8:09 PM

*sigh*

I too fondly, longingly, recall the Brothers & Sisters ( The Sally Field Programme) threads. That show brought it for at least the first two seasons, however, mid 3rd season, the writing had gone to hell, widely noticed an commented on.

Anyway, I've read the entire thread, and I'll be embarrassed and checking my neurons if it's already posted...

I read here at the Good Old DL that Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellweger were antagonistic to each other, (and not for the sake of their characters, their dislike for each other was real) both on the set of "Chicago" and during promoting it.

by Anonymousreply 532May 23, 2020 8:09 PM

William Holden and Jennifer Jones loathed each other on the set of Love is a Many-Splendored Thing. Jennifer was in her rich cunt mode and was nasty to almost everyone. Holden tried to patch it up and sent her a big bouquet of roses, which she promptly tore up. She used to eat garlic on days they had kissing scenes.

by Anonymousreply 533May 24, 2020 8:02 AM

c zeta jones is skunts ville and has …...s

by Anonymousreply 534May 24, 2020 8:48 AM

R530 - I just recently rewatched “A Dandy In Aspic,” and thought Harvey was oddly compelling in it. Tom Courtenay was a bit over the top, however.

by Anonymousreply 535May 24, 2020 9:34 AM

TV Critics asked Lorre if he had vetted the cast of Mom when that show started; everyone laughed because Janney and Farris have nice reps and by this point, Lorre's track record for casting crazy bullies was well known.

by Anonymousreply 536May 25, 2020 6:54 AM

[quote]Shelley Long has left a resume of genuinely funny performances and managed to stay out of the tabloids

Well, except for her suicide attempt. And when that was covered, the whole ugly truth about her battle with depression came out.

Shelley left Cheers at the top of her game, and had a handful of very successful film comedies, and then her big screen career was basically over. Even the "Brady Bunch" movies couldn't give her back the "heat" she had when she was on Cheers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537May 25, 2020 11:43 AM

R477 untrue. Bel Geddes wanted more money and a lighter work schedule. Her manager overplayed his hand. Hagman confirmed this when he was alive. He thought she should’ve gotten Larry involved to get what she wanted but relied on her manager. She tried to get her job back, but the producers decided to recast.

by Anonymousreply 538May 25, 2020 12:07 PM

Well R477, to be fair, there are differing versions. Larry's was one, but Barbara Bel Geddes narrowly avoided a heart attack during the 1982-83 season, and had open heart surgery during the 1983-84 season and missed 11 episodes. She was not well. It may very well be that her agent overplayed their position negotiating for the 1984-85 season, but given the loss of Jim Davis a few years before, it just doesn't make sense they'd send her packing and hire someone new without further negotiations. Plus Bel Geddes knew the power Hagman had on that show, so her not approaching him to help just doesn't ring true. I've also seen and/or read other interviews with other former cast members who said Bel Geddes really was worn out after her health difficulties. According to them, she quit when they wouldn't accommodate a reduced work schedule for the 1984-85 season.

Whichever story is true, we can all agree on the following: Bel Geddes had health difficulties related to her heart, something happened in the negotiations for the 1984-85 season that led to Bel Geddes leaving the show, Donna Reed didn't click as a replacement (even the critics described her as wooden), and it all led to Hagman lobbying successfully with both Bel Geddes and the producers to get her back on the show.

by Anonymousreply 539May 25, 2020 4:37 PM

Sorry, R539 was meant for R538. I need more caffeine!

by Anonymousreply 540May 25, 2020 4:37 PM

If they hadn't fired Donna Reed, they would have needed to recast her again anyway. Donna died in Jan 1986, and would have been unable to work from about Oct 1985. And she did win in her suit. She took a million buck settlement.

Donna was the rare Hollywood Republican who changed her thinking. She became a big anti-war demonstrator, and was also anti-nuclear. She supported Eugene McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 541May 26, 2020 12:42 AM

was hagman a repug? I found his giddy personality booring on chat shows

by Anonymousreply 542May 26, 2020 12:51 AM

R539 Hagman could’ve gotten her what she wanted, but it was Bel Geddes personal business, so it’s understandable she didn’t want anyone else involved in it. Her manager must’ve really played hardball, considering how fast they decided to let BBG go. Same with Dynasty, producers felt they had John, Joan and Linda. Dallas had Larry, Victoria, Linda and Patrick, so they felt the audience wouldn’t care if they poorly recast. It just doesn’t work with prime time shows. Considering how little Miss Ellie had to do this season, I’m unsure why they just couldn’t accommodate her.

by Anonymousreply 543May 26, 2020 2:36 AM

my favorite thread.

by Anonymousreply 544May 26, 2020 6:14 AM

Joan Collins resented Diahann Carroll on "Dynasty" as she thought the writers were trying to "out-Alexa" her character. She felt threatened.

It wasn't personal -- just professional insecurity -- until Diahann Carroll overheard Joan refer to her character as "Dominique Deve-KNEE-Graux"

by Anonymousreply 545May 26, 2020 4:40 PM

R524, what happened was after the final curtain call one of the male dancers apparently said “That’s a wrap “ and Wiliamson heard it as “That was crap.” And he walked over to him and decked him.

by Anonymousreply 546May 27, 2020 12:07 AM

Thanks, r546. I thought someone here would know.

by Anonymousreply 547May 27, 2020 1:40 AM

I've always wondered how Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki got along on Big Bang Theory. After Parsons' character broke out Galecki seemed to be visibly unhappy on screen.

by Anonymousreply 548May 27, 2020 1:47 AM

Sean Penn and MIchael J. Fox, Casualties Of War. Supposedly didn't get along, I remember Fox on Letterman saying some sarcastic stuff about Penn needing to stay in character off set and being a prick like his character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549May 27, 2020 2:04 AM

Speaking of Redford (if this hasn't been said already, I can't read the whole thread!)...I've read in a few places that he wouldn't agree to appear in Inside Daisy Clover unless the character he played (Wade Lewis, a gay 1930s matinee idol) be toned down so that he's more ambiguous and bisexual.

Natalie Wood supposedly never talked to Richard Beymer in West Side Story, apparently because she wanted Warren Beatty (he boyfriend) to play Tony.

by Anonymousreply 550May 27, 2020 2:10 AM

DL icon Deb Winger and __________fill in the blank.

by Anonymousreply 551May 27, 2020 2:13 AM

[quote]William Holden and Jennifer Jones loathed each other on the set of Love is a Many-Splendored Thing. Jennifer was in her rich cunt mode and was nasty to almost everyone. Holden tried to patch it up and sent her a big bouquet of roses, which she promptly tore up. She used to eat garlic on days they had kissing scenes.

They seem genuinely fond of each other here. Either they made up or they were brilliant actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552May 27, 2020 2:17 AM

did patti lupone and debra (one from the Shirley MacLaine movie) like each other when they did the mamet play on bway called The Anarchist, it lasted 17 performances. tis the only ! play ms lupone does not mention in her autobiog…..great book

by Anonymousreply 553June 1, 2020 5:54 PM

I don't think so, R553. The play was crap to begin with based on the reviews, and while the critics were fairly kind to LuPone, they weren't to Winger.

by Anonymousreply 554June 2, 2020 7:30 PM

Has Winger ever got along with any of her co-stars? Yes, Patti got good notices from not so good play.

by Anonymousreply 555June 2, 2020 9:39 PM

I think Winger and Travolta got along making Urban Cowboy.

That's the only example I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 556June 2, 2020 11:10 PM

she was a bit cunty on andy Cohen's show...

by Anonymousreply 557June 3, 2020 1:58 AM

Winger was the Lea Michele of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 558June 3, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote]David’s also widely known to be an asshole. He treats crew like shit. Never heard a nice thing about him from one of the “little people”.

I can’t speak to the [italic]Bones[/italic] years, but back in the late 90s/early 2000s several people I know worked (behind the scenes) with David Boreanaz and had nothing but good things to say about him. And I’ve met him myself on multiple occasions and found him to be warm and friendly to no-name fans. I’ve also heard caterers single him out as the nicest, most gracious Hollywood celebrity to work for.

If he’s let fame go to his head and started treating crew workers badly, it’s a recent development.

[quote] How crazy was the B&S set???

R493, you better pull up a comfy chair to sit in for this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559June 4, 2020 3:15 AM

Hmmm... can't seem to think of any!

by Anonymousreply 560June 4, 2020 3:23 AM

[quote]Robert Mitchum and Katharine Hepburn on the set of Undercurrent

How apt!

by Anonymousreply 561June 4, 2020 5:48 AM

R561 Mitchum denied it in an interview I saw and was very adamant. He was like, "Believe me, I would have remembered it if that happened. BELIEVE me."

by Anonymousreply 562June 4, 2020 6:03 AM

Or maybe he just didn't want to admit to being an asshole

by Anonymousreply 563June 4, 2020 4:46 PM

Did he ever admit to letting Clifton Webb give him blowjobs?

by Anonymousreply 564June 6, 2020 8:21 AM

R564 Robert Wagner said, "Clifton was a homosexual. But he never made a pass at me."

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 565June 7, 2020 1:17 AM

[quote] Or maybe he just didn't want to admit to being an asshole

It was supposedly Hepburn who was nasty to him. “You know you can’t act, and if you hadn’t been good looking you would never have gotten a picture." When asked about this he said it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 566June 7, 2020 2:35 AM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567June 7, 2020 2:39 AM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568June 7, 2020 2:39 AM

r566, or maybe he didn't want people to know that other stars thought he was talentless.

by Anonymousreply 569June 7, 2020 2:42 AM

The L&S Intro is awful---it's obvious they're on a soundstage and the lighting is all wrong for winter, and the gags are all really wared over.

by Anonymousreply 570June 7, 2020 3:10 AM

R531 I wonder if that was really true - seems like they got along afterward, for sure

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571June 7, 2020 11:33 AM

[quote] or maybe he didn't want people to know that other stars thought he was talentless.

Yeah maybe, maybe, I'm just telling you what he said, he denied it.

by Anonymousreply 572June 7, 2020 2:26 PM

Hepburn was a wizened, resentful, mean old cunt. Now and forever.

by Anonymousreply 573June 7, 2020 5:21 PM

Mackenzie Phillips was on Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show for the first time today on the Food network. They didn't talk much about the old days, they just ate........😁

by Anonymousreply 574June 7, 2020 9:07 PM

On the final episode of The Lucille Ball–Desi Arnaz Show* - the hour-long version of I Love Lucy - in 1960, guest star Edie Adams said they weren't speaking to each other. And of course Frawley and Vance always hated each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575June 8, 2020 12:36 AM

R548, I think Galecki was sad looking because Leonard hated living with Sheldon.

I'd play straight man to anyone if it meant having a great long lucrative run like everyone on that show had.

by Anonymousreply 576June 10, 2020 6:14 PM

Exactly R576 the leads of that show all have FUCK YOU money. Who gives a shit which character is popular when you can wipe your ass with $100 bills?

And I believe the original cast members even took a pay cut so the newer cast could get a raise. I doubt they'd have done that if there was animosity on the set.

by Anonymousreply 577June 10, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote]Exactly [R576] the leads of that show all have FUCK YOU money. Who gives a shit which character is popular when you can wipe your ass with $100 bills?

Because the only reason people become actors is to make huge money? They wouldn't be in that profession if that was their only goal, because they could also have been poor. Chances are they want to be playing a popular character and getting the attention.

by Anonymousreply 578June 10, 2020 10:40 PM

It could be that just playing that particular whiny sad sack character year after year was depressing, regardless of the money.

by Anonymousreply 579June 11, 2020 12:09 AM

[Quote] Because the only reason people become actors is to make huge money?

Well.....

by Anonymousreply 580June 11, 2020 1:14 AM

8 is Enough OWNS this thread. The Fug Sisters resented Dianne Kay. Betty Buckley antagonized everyone when she slammed the lame scripts.

by Anonymousreply 581June 11, 2020 1:25 AM

Sammi Ware and shit in her wig Lea Michele, although Lea would never consent to calling Sammi a costar.

by Anonymousreply 582June 11, 2020 2:23 AM

Lea is toast, mean old rag....

by Anonymousreply 583June 12, 2020 6:06 AM

Bob Denver and Tina Louise loathed each other and were not on speaking terms. Denver spread around that Louise often had noisy visits with male guests in her dressing room. No one liked her very much but the enmity between her and Denver was noted.

by Anonymousreply 584June 12, 2020 6:38 AM

^^^ by "visits" I meant "trysts".

by Anonymousreply 585June 12, 2020 6:39 AM

R585 Thanks for clarifying.

by Anonymousreply 586June 12, 2020 11:37 PM

As mentioned much earlier, Patti LuPone and Bill Smitrovich hated each other on the set of “Life Goes On”. Predictably, each holds the other responsible for this. In her memoir, Patti claims it was “oil and water” between the two of them from the first audition, and that Bill soon proved himself a bully who tried to direct other cast members and caused huge blowouts. LuPone says she spoke to others who worked with him, and they confirmed he could be a real asshole.

Smitrovich, however, claims LuPone showed up with the expectation that the series would be “Patti LuPone Starring in ‘Life Goes On’” and was bitterly disappointed at winding up with essentially a supporting role. She never liked her character, the writing or the hours, and became so unhappy that she went out of her way to make everyone else miserable as well. He labeled her a very “guileful” woman.

The truth is probably in the middle. Both come across as huge finger pointers who don’t accept personal responsibility for anything going wrong.

by Anonymousreply 587July 30, 2020 12:55 PM

Debra Winger, Richard Gere

by Anonymousreply 588July 30, 2020 1:04 PM

I'm Debra Winger, lifting my skirt and farting the direction of Shirley MacLaine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589July 30, 2020 1:16 PM

To be fair to Hepburn, Jane stunk up On Golden Pond with her hideous acting. Probably the worst performance in her career.

by Anonymousreply 590July 30, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote]Roy Rodgers and his horse. True story. The horse wanted top billing. When Roy heard about this he exclaimed “horseshit!” And horse did shit..... right in Roy’s trailer.

Rogers actually loved Trigger so much that when the horse died, Rogers couldn't stand the idea of burying him in the ground. Instead, he had Trigger mounted (stuffed) by a professional taxidermist and for years the horse was the most popular exhibit at the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum. True story.

by Anonymousreply 591July 30, 2020 2:13 PM

^ And forgot to mention that Trigger was actually housebroken so Rogers could take him practically anywhere when they toured together!

by Anonymousreply 592July 30, 2020 2:17 PM

[quote]Mackenzie Phillips was on Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show for the first time today on the Food network. They didn't talk much about the old days, they just ate......

Mackenzie: "I love the salad you made."

Valerie: " I can't believe you used to fuck your dad. That's literally all I can think about when I look at you."

Mackenzie: "Um, the soup is good too."

Valerie: "I mean Jesus Christ you used to fuck your dad! I'm sitting here feeling grossed out and uncomfortable just being near you."

by Anonymousreply 593July 30, 2020 4:55 PM

I tried to read this whole thread so not to duplicate but I failed.

The Sally Field / Dave Annable thing was a datalounge thread at the time. The dish was dropped and we were assured both parties knew it was a fling and only a fling and were fine with it.

Shelly Long was early 30s (or just about) when she got Cheers, did it five Seasons then went on to do a few successful movies before sputtering out. Considering she battled depression and other stuff that's not too bad and she managed to keep working if not as a movie leading lady.

She got screwed SO bad by the cast of Cheers except for possibly Danson. I always hated Carla and thought Rhea Pearlman was no better. Here were a bunch of actors who had maybe significant things to do three times a year on the show who were riding Shelly's chops and her chemistry with Danson all the way to the bank, and they had the balls to bitch about her process. I can see it irking people but there were no stories of unnecessary overtime and running over budget because her process messed up the schedule, so fuck them. It didn't stop them from getting drunk and doing coke but they still complained. I have a friend who "shadowed" on Frasier for directing and Kelsey Grammar's drug problems and contract disputes led to his absence from table reads, tech runs, all kinds, and nobody cared, cause when he showed up for tape he was note perfect. It's ok for Kelsey but giving Shelly rope was unacceptable. She was note perfect at tape too.

by Anonymousreply 594March 26, 2021 2:30 AM

Lucille Ball did not "copy" Joan Davis. As for Joan Davis being "older" than Lucy, there was only four years' difference in their ages and they started in the business around the same time.

A lot of people had mixed feelings about Ball up through her television heights, but Joan Davis was pretty much reviled. Famously so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595March 26, 2021 3:14 AM

R550, Beaty would've been a far better choice than Beymer. Sheesh, ANYONE would've been...

by Anonymousreply 596April 2, 2021 4:08 PM

Thanks for posting Shelly, I mean R594.

by Anonymousreply 597April 2, 2021 4:13 PM

Watching Cheers back, you can see the drop in quality after Shelly left the show. Ted Danson has always been very complimentary of her and said although she could drive people crazy, she was almost always right and would fix scenes and dialogue so they were better.

by Anonymousreply 598April 2, 2021 4:22 PM

Is it true Meryl Streep hated working with Bruce Willis on Death becomes her?

by Anonymousreply 599April 2, 2021 4:32 PM

Streep herself only did the movie to become more commercial. Not sure what she thought of Willis, and wonder why anyone cares...

by Anonymousreply 600April 2, 2021 9:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!