Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taxi! Please talk to me about Taxi.

I know I watched it as a little kid, but it must not have made a big impression because I don't remember a single episode, just vague memories of the characters.

I've been watching it to help fall asleep at night, and because Tony Danza is one of the only "stupid cute" actors I enjoy looking at.

He adopted a son, which seems like a pretty significant plot point, but then it's never mentioned again?

Anyhow. If you are so inclined, I'd enjoy your thoughts on the show and it's cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 1:19 PM

Mmmmmm. Tony Danza was a snack.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2020 10:32 PM

Yes he certainly was. I saw him on Broad City and enjoyed him as an older man. He did a cute little dance scene.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2020 10:35 PM

a hunk a mins

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2020 10:38 PM

One of the best shows ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2020 10:46 PM

That's his real life son in the episode OP mentions.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 12:36 AM

Didn't it move to another network after getting cancelled on ABC? And did it ever have a proper finale?

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 12:43 AM

I just remember it being one of those dingy and depressing shows of that era, like “Barney Miller” and “M*A*S*H”. I didn’t like anyone on that show and didn’t think it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 12:58 AM

R6, yes, it moved to NBC.

What a great cast.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 1:02 AM

Yes, R6, it moved to NBC after ABC cancelled it. It was part of NBC’s Thursday night lineup that they called “the best night of television on television,” alongside “Fame,” “Cheers,” and “Hill Street Blues.” It only lasted another year on NBC before it was cancelled for good. That’s a shame because a year later The Cosby Show and NBC’s dominance of Thursdays for 20 years started. Taxi might have lasted a few more years with that kind of support. It might have saved us from 10 years of “Night Court!”

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 1:09 AM

Banta ya young , dumb , and full of cum..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 1:10 AM

A very typical MTM show. Highly valued by critics but has not aged well. The critics just loved those dark comedies.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 1:11 AM

Andy Kauffman was brilliant, but aside from a few to brief plots points on this show was underutilized and treated more as a one note xenophobic joke.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 1:15 AM

Very impressive show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 1:23 AM

I love this show. I watched every episode a couple of years ago, and I appreciate it even more as an adult. Judd Hirsch was great as the cynical man who was the only person who was resigned to being a taxi driver instead of having some other greater dream. Danny DeVito does some great physical comedy. Even though you hate his character, you still felt empathy for him when the show revealed some bad aspect of his life.

I like this show better than Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 1:23 AM

The theme song still haunts me.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 1:25 AM

Marilu remembers every episode.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 1:53 AM

Maybe she can help me remember who said one of the funniest lines on that show.

Can’t remember if it was Alex to his ex (Louise Lasser), or maybe Bobby to Angela, his answering service operator, but:

Him: You look different.

Her: Yeah, I lost six or seventy pounds.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 2:31 AM

Tony Danza and Joey Lawrence should play father and son in a project some day.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 2:32 AM

Tony Dana’s and Jeff Conaway could split roast me

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 3:34 AM

Hold me closer Tony Danza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 1:12 PM

THE hit sitcom at the time

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 1:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!