Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"slumdog Millionaire" Actor Irrfan Khan is Dead to Me.

(NEW DELHI) — Irrfan Khan, a veteran character actor in Bollywood movies and a one of India’s best-known exports to Hollywood, has died. He was 54.

Khan played the police inspector in Slumdog Millionaire and the park executive Masrani in Jurassic World. He also appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man and the adventure fantasy Life of Pi.

Khan in 2018 was diagnosed with a rare neuroendocrine cancer and underwent months of treatment in the United Kingdom. He died Wednesday after being admitted to Mumbai’s Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani hospital with a colon infection.

“Irrfan was a strong soul, someone who fought till the very end and always inspired everyone who came close to him,” a statement released by the actor’s team said.

Khan made his screen debut in the Academy Award-nominated 1988 drama Salaam Bombay!, a tale of Mumbai’s street children. He later worked with directors Mira Nair, Wes Anderson and Ang Lee.

Khan won a number of film awards in India, including a 2012 Indian National Film Award for best actor for his performance in Paan Singh Tomar, a compelling tale of a seven-time national champion athlete who quit India’s armed forces to rule the Chambal ravines in central India.

Khan received an Independent Spirit Award for supporting actor in 2006 for the Indian-American drama The Namesake and a viewers’ choice award at the Cannes festival 2013 for his role in the Indian romantic drama The Lunchbox.

Khan also starred in the Hamlet-inspired Haider, a Bollywood film set in militarized Himalayan Kashmir.

Tributes came from Bollywood, including from fellow actor Amitabh Bachchan, who said Khan was an “incredible talent” and “a prolific contributor to the World of Cinema.”

Khan “left us too soon,” Bachchan wrote on Twitter.

In an interview with The Associated Press in 2018, Khan said: “I’ve seen life from a completely different angle. You sit down and you see the other side and that’s fascinating. I’m engaged on a journey.”

Khan’s last Bollywood movie, Angrezi Medium, a sequel to one of his biggest hits, Hindi Medium (2017), was released before India went into a lockdown in March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

He is survived by his wife, television writer and producer Sutapa Sikdar, and sons, Babil and Ayan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2020 3:26 PM

Ive loved him in so many movies! Sad news

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2020 3:26 PM

We know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2020 3:28 PM

This thread is older, r2

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2020 3:31 PM

St least he no long has to worry about Coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2020 3:42 PM

At^

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2020 3:43 PM

Another AIDS cover up

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2020 4:42 PM

I didn't know how well I regarded him until I read of his passing. So sad. He was a compelling actor.

His mother passed away last week and he couldn't be there due to Covid-19 and I'm assuming his own ill heath. Reportedly, his last words to his wife was, that his Amma (mother) was sitting beside him and had come to take him away.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2020 5:09 PM

sad.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2020 5:27 PM

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2020 5:54 PM

So great in The Namesake. 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2020 8:08 PM

I liked him in Maqbool, the Bollywood version of MacBeth. He was great in everything.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2020 8:20 PM

No mentioned his starring role in this movie about DL's eldergays?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2020 8:55 PM

Devastating! I just saw him in Blackmail. So sad!!! 2020 will be the second worst year of my life.

RiP Irrfan. You shall be missed.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2020 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!