Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The DL Arts: What’s going to happen to Concerts?

The opera, the symphony, even ballet? In America, Europe, and elsewhere? Will audiences go back to being packed Leon like well-dressed sardines? When will things return to normal or what will the new normal be? Share your thoughts....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56Last Thursday at 7:08 PM

packed *in* like well-dressed sardines

by Anonymousreply 104/28/2020

They'll come back but not as part of all these initial reopenings. Some may start with more spread out seating, but a concert venue won't be packed like before until there's a vaccine.

I love live music, so this sucks.

by Anonymousreply 204/28/2020

I was just thinking about this earlier and feeling really glad that I saw a lot of great bands over the last couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 304/28/2020

Thats all shit the "2 percenters" enjoy who cares

by Anonymousreply 404/28/2020

They are going to have to hold nude performances in order to lure skittish audiences back.

by Anonymousreply 504/28/2020

As a huge fan of the opera and ballet companies in the nearest big city... I hope to fucking fuck that their rich donors carry them through!

But as with businesses, it's the small companies that will fold first, they're always one step away from crumping at the best of times. The world-class companies can cut budgets and bring in society women and gays to hit on the 1% of the big cities, small performing arts organizations in smaller communities won't have many options.

by Anonymousreply 604/28/2020

All concert need stopped and banned until a vaccine is available.

by Anonymousreply 704/28/2020

Best to just cancel.

by Anonymousreply 804/28/2020

They'll be back, but I also think it'll be like what they're proposing with movie theaters and only selling a portion of the auditorium and roping off every other seat or couple of seats.

by Anonymousreply 904/28/2020

Those crooks were charging way too much for tickets. Even if they do come back, no one is going to be paying $900 for floor seats to Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 1004/28/2020

I wonder what's going on with the financial side of the popular music performance industry. With all performances everywhere cancelled, every performer from the Rolling Stones to Lizzo will be filing claims at once, so will the venue owners, and there's no way in hell the insurance companies are actually going to pay out to an entire industry.

So, what happens? Does everyone get stiffed, and half the acts and venues file for bankruptcy? What's the upshot of that?

by Anonymousreply 1104/28/2020

Typically r11 contracts and insurance policies have kill clauses that mention acts of God and pandemics. I’m sure the really big stars will get some kind of cancellation fee, but they’re likely the only ones.

by Anonymousreply 1204/28/2020

I'll go. I will be wearing my mask, but I will be there. Poor starving artists need to make some money.

by Anonymousreply 1304/28/2020

[Quote] Poor starving artists need to make some money.

LOL! Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 1404/28/2020

I hope that the fall opera season is on, I'm perfectly willing to go in an N95 that matches my shirt!

But I also hope that the old money patrons-of-the-arts donate, because I've only got a few bucks to give right now,, and they're going to the local food banks and Doctors Without Borders.

by Anonymousreply 1504/28/2020

wouldn't you think that performances that skew old to very old (symphonies and opera) would be especially impactful. Lizzo might not have trouble selling tickets. Older educated people who like opera know they shouldn't be going to densely populated performances in poorly ventilated theaters.

by Anonymousreply 1604/28/2020

[quote] Older educated people who like opera know they shouldn't be going to densely populated performances in poorly ventilated theater

Santa Fe Opera is the answer! They’re open air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1704/28/2020

Someone will invent a way to record sound and sell these recordings to the public so they listen in their home.

by Anonymousreply 1804/28/2020

Fuck you, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1904/28/2020

Imagine having a tour as shitty as Madame X being your last?

by Anonymousreply 2004/28/2020

As far as movie theatres go, they were overpriced anyways. Nowadays, you really can get very close to the same quality on a nice 4k tv.

by Anonymousreply 2104/28/2020

The David Archuleta tour was postponed from Spring to the Fall. I will be there.

by Anonymousreply 2204/28/2020

I'm guessing most DLers are viewing this problem as concertgoers rather than as performers. I'm a symphony performer, principal keyboard for a professional symphony in a medium sized city. Yes, we are all out of work for the rest of this season, and quite likely next year's season too which is a deeply demoralizing thought and a terrifying thought from a financial viewpoint.. But for those thinking symphony members can play for some recorded medium to keep audience interest and perhaps raise money, you're forgetting that symphony players are in close proximity to one another and have to be. String players share a single stand and score part and are within 2 feet of one another. Wind players are literally spraying the entire stage with droplets with every note and they play at the rear of the symphony. 2 oboes, three flutes, 2-3 clarinets. 2 bassoons, 4 french horns, three trumpets, three trombones, a tuba player ALL spewing aerosols. One of the big outbreaks of the virus in Washington state was a single choir of 70 members. 45 tested positive for the virus after ONE rehearsal, because singers, like wind players, breathe deeply and spew droplets much further than a casual person talking. The players desperately want to work, BUT they also recognize that they cannot work in the time-honored traditional set up until there is a vaccine or widespread herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 2304/28/2020

Ouch. That hurt, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2404/28/2020

There will be a transitional phase of some sort, but eventually it will all be back.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2020

I don’t know why anyone goes to see an orchestra perform. Just get a good sound system and listen to a recording. Most people in the audience don’t have an ear for it.

by Anonymousreply 2604/28/2020

^ I think people enjoy the live event aspect of it, being in the space with all those people, not just the music.

by Anonymousreply 2704/28/2020

I will still go the ballet and opera. Life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 2804/28/2020

What r27 said. My favorite seat in the house isn't the audiophile-approved ten or fifteen rows back in the center, but rather the right first balcony overhang. I love to [italic]watch[/italic] the musicians play, and that's as close as I can get.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2020

I can't imagine being in a concert hall that size. Those days are over. I'm glad I was able to experience it. That beautiful architecture will never exist again and the coronavirus will never allow us to sit that close.

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2020

The Rona won't be around forever. Concerts will be back, but not immediately.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2020

I'll be back within the year to give my "Farewell Tour" concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2020

The thing is general admissions should be and need to be retired. I never understood why they were ever allowed. You can't fucking move, you can't go to the washroom, you can't go get a drink. People breathing on you, you can't escape.

Assigned seating for everybody. If that means outdoor concert shows cannot go on, so be it.

by Anonymousreply 3304/29/2020

Remember after 9/11, or after any major terrorist attack, when leaders proclaimed that life must go on even if there was risk? What happened to that?

by Anonymousreply 3404/29/2020

I’m having contracts canceled and renegotiated well into 2021. I can pretty much guarantee that Lincoln Center will not have a season, and that includes the Met, NYCB, and the Philharmonic. You can include Carnegie Hall on this list. The announcements will be made mid summer. Everyone who works in classical arts knows it’s coming, but hopes it won’t. Theaters will not be able to be filled for a long time in NY. Also, of my colleagues, most of who work internationally, NO ONE wants to travel or go to an airport or get on a plane.

I would imagine Broadway is in a similar predicament. And I bet that there will be no Broadway well into 2021.

by Anonymousreply 3504/29/2020

👩‍🚀Hazmat gear will the outfit of choice for well dressed concert attendees.

by Anonymousreply 3604/29/2020

Life will eventually go back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 3704/29/2020

I sing in a chorus in a large city. Most arts organizations and nonprofits still rely heavily on performances/ticket sales in addition to fundraising. Singing is thought to be a superspreader of aerosol droplets, along with loud talkers.

I don;t see us performing safely in the next 9 months. I wish it were not so. The danger for performers is even greater than audience members, as exhibited by the church choir in the Seattle area.

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2020

The truth of the situation is starting to come out. Nothing on stage until next year. This is what we’re all unhappily anticipating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3905/03/2020

"Remember after 9/11, or after any major terrorist attack, when leaders proclaimed that life must go on even if there was risk? What happened to that?"

I'm so fucking sick of all the comparisons to 9/11. The truth is that everywhere except New York recovered from the shock within a couple of days. Life went on as normal, with little to no disruption of life previous to the incident. You could not talk to someone face to face and have a plane fly into you.

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2020

[Quote] Remember after 9/11, or after any major terrorist attack, when leaders proclaimed that life must go on even if there was risk? What happened to that?

It's a pandemic? What is it you don't understand? It's a totally different situation, hon. But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2020

r14, that should be Sure Jan(et).

by Anonymousreply 4205/04/2020

Major classical agency (Opus 3) just fired a major portion of their people. Only kept top agents. Only two other major classical agencies left, and they’re both in the exact same position and will be firing the same amount or shuttering completely in the next few weeks. Boutique agencies are also in dire straits, though some have been able to get loans and stay afloat.

by Anonymousreply 4305/22/2020

[quote] The opera, the symphony, even ballet?

The pretentious queens who attend those will home drinking fancy cocktails

by Anonymousreply 4405/22/2020

Neanderthals who think of classical music and ballets as “pretentious” suffer from a terribly low selfesteem

by Anonymousreply 4505/22/2020

With the Met’s Gelb saying this weekend in the Times that physical distancing is impossible at the house, he is basically announcing that there will be no season. Once it is officially announced, most other opera houses and orchestras all over the country will announce the same thing. Lincoln Center will not be open in any real capacity this season, and possibly until there is a vaccine. We are effectively looking at the total death of the classical arts in this country.

by Anonymousreply 4605/25/2020

I will mention that it’s not just the house seating area that’s the problem, it’s impossible to work backstage, downstairs in the basements and anywhere in the offices with physical distancing in place. Singers cannot scream in each other’s faces for hours at a time during rehearsals. It’s just not going to happen until something concrete is in place for health protection.

by Anonymousreply 4705/25/2020

we are all in this together, rock and pop concerts will suffer the same fate as grand opera and ballet. no funding, no possibility of capacity crowds at all. thus as I've pointed out, the ONLY performances that will survive at all int eh next two years will be:

very very small

very very cheap and intimate (think a person's living room)

very very tech savvy

everything else will be too dangerous for the audience or the performers or funders

by Anonymousreply 4805/25/2020

From the American Theatre article "Theatre and the last pandemic", this passage regarding 1918:

----

Theatres were so important that people did not lightly forgo attendance. Their closure remained a great public frustration, even as people were dying. The Seattle Daily Times observed on Oct. 6 that “Theatre Patrons Find Doors Shut, City’s Influenza Prevention Edict Results in Thousands of Disappointments.” Even when people knew in advance the closures were imminent and that deaths were surging, they didn’t relinquish theatregoing easily. In Minnesota, The Minneapolis Morning Tribune reported on Sunday, Oct. 13, that “theatres were packed last night with patrons who took advantage of their last chance to see a performance until the ban is lifted. Long lines of men and women waited in front of the motion picture and vaudeville theaters during the early hours of the evening.” The risk must have seemed worth it.

----

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4905/25/2020

And I’ll also mention that at this point a majority of NY artists who work in the classical industry are resigned to the fact that most everything will be closed and not functioning country-wide. It’s the press and audiences that don’t get it yet.

by Anonymousreply 5005/25/2020

nope, not at all in fact

by Anonymousreply 5105/25/2020

Sign, say it ain’t so! I would love to go to the symphony right about now. I’d even sit and listen to Wagner!

by Anonymousreply 52Last Thursday at 4:49 PM

Pack me, Leon! I am just waiting to be packed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53Last Thursday at 4:57 PM

[quote]I would imagine Broadway is in a similar predicament. And I bet that there will be no Broadway well into 2021.

Hence, Gay TikToks.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Thursday at 5:03 PM

[quote]I’d even sit and listen to Wagner!

Last week, the Wiesbaden State Theatre in Germany staged "Tristan and Isolde".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55Last Thursday at 5:05 PM

In 1918 there was no entertainment in the home by professionals except on the victrola. No radio or TV. It is a very different world to day. We do not need it as we once did. Of course it is a very different experience not being in a large communal gathering with great artists but for the most part we gave up all of it a long time ago going to sound films instead of the theater and staying home and watching TV instead of going to movie palaces. People continued going to theater and film but on a much reduced scale.

The disease seems to be getting worse and I can't imagine performers working face to face or audiences crowded together as they have done since the beginning of civilization perhaps for a couple of years if a vaccine isn't proven to be safe and effective. Perhaps this is the end of civilization. We all knew it had to happen sometime. We just weren't expecting to be there when it happened.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Thursday at 7:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!