Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels premieres

The first episode is online now for free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7711 hours ago

Yay!

Squee!

Adorbz!

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2020

Oh cool! I thought they cancelled the show. Wil watch! 🍿

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2020

Me too but I will miss the original cast!!

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2020

There's a any gay storyline or character in this show?

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2020

Is it a good show, a positive show?

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2020

I enjoyed the premiere although I thought the effects looked cheap. I’m not a showtime subscriber so I will wait till all of the episodes have aired and then subscribe, and binge it.

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2020

So far I like it. The visuals are great, but the plot is brutal. Interesting that Natalie gets to play different characters manipulating human kind to destruction.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2020

So many hot guys. Including the Nazi buddies of Rory Kinnear's Nazi character.

And in the first episode part of the prophecy is already fulfilled. Hot Brother killing hot brother.

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2020

Kinnear's accent seems off.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2020

The actor who plays Vega is very appealing. And I love the production values (although you can easily tell the one street he lives on in a set--there are no telephone or telegraph wires 20 feet up, as there would have been in 1938).

I don't understand why, if the mythology of the show is Mexican/Latino, Natalie Dormer's evil demon (goddess?) speaks with an English accent.

Rory Kinnear is the Cindy Sherman of male American actors--I never recognize him in different roles. And I was surprised Nathan Lane could be believable as a butch detective.

Brent Spiner, on the other hand, is always Data to me no matter what role he plays. He's a good actor, but his face is too familiar.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2020

it was ok.

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2020

Natalie Dormer is a one note actress with the face of a fetal 🐖. There I said it.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2020

There are too many TV shows recently about Nazis trying to take over the US at mid-century. The Man in the High Castle, The Plot Against America... now this.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2020

What r3 said! During the show's previous run, Eva Green was one of the best actresses on TV during that time. She was amazing. Also, this was Josh Hartnett's best work. The love story between him and Eva's characters was so good.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2020

R4 given the Nazi/white supremacy elements and how those groups have a lot of homophobes, I'm sure a gay character will show up.

R5 it has Dreadful in the title and you ask that <_

R10 Rory Kinnear is British . I agree I'm really liking Nathan Lane. I don't get Dormer's accent either, but if I had to guess it has something to do with the Nightsisters being British ( even though their origins are African/Egyptian).

R9 it's a regional accent. It's pretty close to a native German one. His upper inflections are where it breaks.

R8 I'm trying to remember what show recently featured Brujerias. I know Charmed and Constantine did, but some other show has. I can't place my finger on it. I'm hoping for a misinterpreted prophecy like in Season 2 of Penny Dreadful where the Wolf of God was the ultimate decider in who wins Ahmanet .

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2020

Great! Something to watch. Adding S1 to my lockdown binge queue now.

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2020

The premiere just didn't do it for me. The whole "they want to build a freeway through the Chicano enclave" plot line was just WAY too reminiscent of [italic]Who Framed Roger Rabbit?[/italic]

I'm uncertain whether I'll be back for a second episode.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2020

I love LA noir. Anyone see I Am the Night? Loved that.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2020

[quote]I don't understand why, if the mythology of the show is Mexican/Latino, Natalie Dormer's evil demon (goddess?) speaks with an English accent.

White devil.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2020

Izzat the White Goddess in a dingy tiara? Izzat Morgan La Fey in a li’l black dress? Wow! Woowhee! I’d rather watch two sparrows on my deck fighting over a grain of millet.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2020

The two scenes I like best in the pilot are when the lead dances with his mom and the mom summoning the Saint of Death. Also, the scene of the evil sister with her "kid" in the elevator is cool and creepy.

Nathan Lane as a grumpy cop is quite interesting.

The opening scene had terrible CGI. Probably the worst I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2020

Also, why does Natalie Dormer's demon have contemporary hair and a contemporary dress?

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2020

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. They definitely got the social unrest of the 1930s Los Angeles right. People forget that many L.A. landmarks were built at the expense of Chicano communities. The city would just deport American citizens to Mexico when they wanted to get rid of a Latin neighborhood.

Loved the lead actor. He really had a great scene at the end when he shots his gun. Daniel Zobatto is a really good actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2020

Natalie Dormer ruins everything she is in. I will stay away from this LA Confidential knock-off then.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2020

Is this the Universal or Warner lot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2020

Daniel Zovatto is a hottie. Remember him as a gorgeous long-haired gay top in Here and Now?

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2020

yeah, Daniel is pretty. What's the story ?

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2020

Penny Dreadful might be one of my favorite shows ever. I tried watching this, and could not get into it.

It's Penny Dreadful in name only.

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2020

[quote]The opening scene had terrible CGI. Probably the worst I've seen in a long time.

Yes, it was awful. And if Natalie Dormer's character can just destroy people with fire, why does she bother with the more subtle method of whispering into people's ears, as she does to instigate the gunfight at the end?

by Anonymousreply 3004/26/2020

I haven’t watched this series before, but can someone explain the premise? Is it an anthology show that reboots every season in a different location and time period? Do I need to watch the earlier seasons to understand this one?

by Anonymousreply 3104/26/2020

R31 The original show takes place in Victorian London, when Penny Dreadfuls were actually a thing. That show ran for 3 seasons. Except for the fact that it's got the same creator, I'm really not sure why this show is labeled as Penny Dreadful, as it seems totally disconnected from the original, in terms of setting, subject matter, acting talent, and overall quality.

by Anonymousreply 3204/26/2020

The original series intertwined the stories of Frankenstein, Dracula, Dorian Grey and the Wolfman.

by Anonymousreply 3304/26/2020

The idea is that Natalie Dormer's demon character is the embodiment of deadly chaos, and that people can't see her unless she's wearing one of her "disguises." (like she did in the doctor's office). So when she seems to kill people or bid people to do killing for her, what it really is is the deadly chaos she embodies intruding: the fire in the fields was due to human eyes to a random spark, and the men who fired their guns to whom she whispered were just fearful and using poor judgement.

So she can;t always set fires or whisper to people to kill other people: it's just when the conditions are perfect. (That's why in the stand-off she kept searching into the eyes of the policemen until she found the one who was twitchy and nervous.)

by Anonymousreply 3404/26/2020

Totally agree r32!

by Anonymousreply 3504/26/2020

I thought City of Angels was a musical, I kept waiting for Nathan Lane to break out in song?

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2020

If they needed a gringo looking Mexican for the lead why didn’t they hire Froy?

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2020

Who ?

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2020

I wish Eva was playing the Dormer character. Imagine her in all those disguises... Lead is hot and I like the vibe. It didn’t suck me in like the original Penny Dreadful though.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2020

Starting this tonight, it looks great!

by Anonymousreply 4004/29/2020

Is there something for dear Glenn?

by Anonymousreply 4104/29/2020

Watched the first 30 minutes of the premiere episode, but was completely uninterested. There wasn't a single thing about it that I hadn't seen before.

by Anonymousreply 4204/29/2020

I loved it. I'm surprised how emotionally invested I was in the end. I finished the premiere 5 minutes ago and my heart is still beating fast. It's obviously quite different from the original Penny Dreadful, a show I loved. However I do remember that show's flaws as well and it certainly ran its course. I vaguely remember the last season being quite a mess way too many times. Someone at reddit claims they knew people from the production who said it all fell apart because Eva Green hated to travel to Ireland where they apparently shot the show.

I don't mind this fresh start elsewhere at all. We are now in a bright colored L.A. noir world instead of dark Victorian London. And it does help that I find the latino lead insanely sexy.

[quote] The premiere just didn't do it for me. The whole "they want to build a freeway through the Chicano enclave" plot line was just WAY too reminiscent of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Well, that's a rather random reference. Who the hell has even watched that movie in the last 30 years? I don't know much about LA's history but I believe R24. There have always been areas and neigborhoods that have been destroyed to give way to new roads, buildings, factories etc. That's not something that only happened in in Roger Rabbit.

[quote]Natalie Dormer is a one note actress with the face of a fetal 🐖. There I said it.

Well, you can say it but you're not correct. She did a great job in her many roles, and her demon dominatrix is certainly very intense. Some people seem to dislike her, partly probably because they hate her previous roles or because she's not Eva Green. Eva was of course fabulous as Vanessa Ives but since it's rumored she was the reason the original show was cancelled I doubt she would've even wanted to come back.

by Anonymousreply 4305/02/2020

Why doesn't the evil goddess get some elaborate costume? That dress looks like some cheap vinyl blanket.

by Anonymousreply 4405/02/2020

I dislike Natalie Dormer because she's a terrible actress. I've watched her in several tv shows but the only part I've seen her play is Marjorie Tyrell.

by Anonymousreply 4505/02/2020

R45, I haven't followed her career that closely but I've seen her in multiple productions and I haven't even once thought she's a terrible actress. Are you sure you're just not disliking her for personal reasons?

by Anonymousreply 4605/02/2020

She was a perfect manipulative bitch in that Why Didn't They Ask Evans? adaption.

by Anonymousreply 4705/02/2020

No really, she sucks ass and you have poor judgement.

by Anonymousreply 4805/02/2020

Manipulative bitch is all she's capable of.

by Anonymousreply 4905/02/2020

Ugh, Santa Muerte's pale gray contact lenses are constantly floating around in different directions. It's so distracting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5005/02/2020

[quote]No really, she sucks ass and you have poor judgement.

She's got a great screen presence and she's a fine actor. The problem is you, not her, but that's how it is sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 5105/02/2020

wanted to like it but found it unwatchable and turned it off before it was over. Just all over the map with horrible accents and stereotypes and fractured storylines.

by Anonymousreply 5205/02/2020

I really liked it, I happen love LA stories set in that time frame. They went further into the Nazi thing than I anticipated. Will keep watching, good production they def spent some cash making this.

by Anonymousreply 5305/02/2020

You've got to hand it to Rory Kinnear. He's managed to make his middle-aged suburban Nazi character somehow charming, and dare I say, attractive. He really is a phenomenal actor.

by Anonymousreply 5405/07/2020

R27 Oh yeah, that was incredibly hot. Any sexy scenes with Daniel Zovatto in this one?

by Anonymousreply 5505/07/2020

Daniel Zobatto has such a boyish face. I don't whether I want to fuck him or babysit him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5605/07/2020

The actress playing Sister Molly is great. The Nazi dr subplot is very good too.

by Anonymousreply 5705/08/2020

I hate the contemporary Instagram makeup/hair/wardrobe on Natalie, although i do like the she let them do ugly assistant to the Mayor. She can't hold a candle to Eva, who did a lot of scenes without a lick of makeup on.

It was the pilot though, many series get better as they go on.

by Anonymousreply 5805/08/2020

Daniel is hot, I remember him from that awful HBO series, 'Here and Now'.

Natalie Dormer's character is laughable in this. Guess she supposed to be Satan? Give me a break. She's walking around like she's on a fashion runway. Eva Green's character and acting was amazing in the first series.

This series is all over the map. I guess they producers decided to bring the series back to show the parallels between Drumpf becoming president and what was going on in LA during the era being depicted? The hate for Mexicans, the Nazis coming into power etc? I cannot imagine any other reason. This second series sure isn't as interesting as the original series. There are no real chills.

by Anonymousreply 5905/08/2020

Yes, r59, there was even a line that they used that #45 has said.

by Anonymousreply 6005/08/2020

Looks like all the queers in LA are aligned with the evil.

by Anonymousreply 6105/10/2020

R50 I find Santa Muerte's cheap total knock-off of Cher's looks to be more offensive. If they are going to copy from a true Goddess they can at least do the original some justice.

The costume depart did a shoddy copy of Cher's style. Change my mind !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6205/14/2020

That ugly fat guy, the mayor? Not sure who he's supposed to be, was about to give some guy a blow job.

by Anonymousreply 6305/15/2020

I didn’t see the original, but I’m enjoying this. It looks incredible, like what Hollywood wanted to be, but five times better. The male lead is fantastic and the preacher lady held her own too.

by Anonymousreply 6405/16/2020

i've yet to see the latest episode but I find it sad how many people are hating the show just because it's not like the original. I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen a lot. Even though the original had some amazing episodes the final season was in many ways a total mess, and even the earlier seasons were uneven. I don't mind this reboot in sunny California at all. Some people seem to be having problems with the wardrobes of The Sisters but I disagree with them. The Sisters are representations of spiritual forces and what we see is always partly metaphorical and symbolic because they are not human. They work on a meta level as well as on physical. That said if a sizable part of the viewership has a hard time taking The Sisters seriously then it's obviously a problem created by the production.

by Anonymousreply 6505/16/2020

I don't have a problem with the La Llorona type sister, but Natalie's incarnation is too modern with the Instagram brows and leather outfit.

by Anonymousreply 6605/17/2020

So a demon wants to incite violence & chaos in the 1930s, and decides to do so in... California?

by Anonymousreply 6705/17/2020

I’m a little confused, the woman who is the agent of chaos and various characters, is there only one of her and she can only be one of those personas at a time, or can she be the German mother, secretary and Chicano gang girl simultaneously?

by Anonymousreply 6805/17/2020

So the actor who plays the hot Nazi top, Dominic Sherwood, must be doing penance by playing a gay role or being in a gay sex scene as the case may be. A few years ago he walked in on a costar live-streaming and called him the f-word and there was twitter meltdown and a de rigueur apology video. So is this role meant to rehab his reputation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6905/17/2020

Anyone watching? I snorted my drink when the hunky chauffeur asked the tubby city councilman bottom or top?

AS IF there was any question!

by Anonymousreply 70Last Friday at 9:55 AM

Will Dorian Grey be fucking the main character?

by Anonymousreply 71Last Friday at 10:18 AM

I have been pleasantly surprised by this series so far. I watched the original series and enjoyed it but it went downhill from season to season. Patti Lupone was great in her original character episode as the witch/abortionist.

Other than the horrible fire CGI at the very beginning of the first episode, the costume, automotive, and building production values have been fantastic. Nathan Lane has been surprisingly good and Daniel Zovatto is both sure hot and a very good actor. I didn't even recognize him initially from Here and Now where he had the long, greasy hair. I like Natalie Dormer and think she is doing very well, including being distinctive in her multiple iterations. Amy Madigan is appropriately creepy and the actress playing Miss Molly is doing well. When she was about to sing, I thought for sure she would have a high soprano/Kristin Chenoweth type voice and was knocked over when she started singing in one of the lowest alto voices I've heard. She is practically a tenor.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Saturday at 2:03 PM

I saw Rory Kinnear on stage at the National Theater a couple of years ago; he was shockingly small. A good actor, but a tiny todger!

by Anonymousreply 73Last Saturday at 2:17 PM

I watched a making of video of CoA and they were ecstatic over Dormer's evil character's costume being made of PLEATHER!

Pleather is the metaphor for this iteration.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Saturday at 2:19 PM

Mateo has such a lovely butt.

by Anonymousreply 7512 hours ago

Yeah, Johnathan Nieves is hot as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7612 hours ago

And again, according to this show, homosex=evil

by Anonymousreply 7711 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!