Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Ali MacGraw Ruin Steve McQueen?!

Steve McQueen's life was ruined by this hysterical out of control woman. Discuss

From Ali MacGraw' book "Moving Pictures":

" It was all wonderful, and I was enjoying the ecstasy of being in Paris with Steve. This evening had the makings of another peak experience: I was in a city I loved, with a man I loved....We had a bottle of champagne and began to celebrate. We started to dance — and then something happened. Steve said, “Stop trying to lead.”

Today I can see that that was quite a metaphor for our life together. That night in the restaurant I went berserk, began to cry and flail at Steve, who, incidentally, had a black belt in karate. We continued this scene outside in the courtyard, where only a miracle prevented us from being seen and photographed by some fan. When we got back to the hotel I passed out.

In the morning Steve told me quietly that I should go back to Los Angeles. I wept and wept and promised never to act like that again. Eventually he gave in, and we drove in tension and sadness from Paris to San Sebastián, on the Atlantic coast of Spain. By the time we arrived, everything was once again fine, but the experience had scared me. It was the first time in my life that I had completely lost control of myself.

Years and years of rage and fear and sadness had been released by a relatively innocent sentence, and the situation was exacerbated by the amount of champagne I had consumed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2020 3:10 AM

She, of all people, should know that love means never having to say you're sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2020 3:53 AM

Oh, please. Steve McQueen was a huge asshole. McGraw is not the villain.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2020 3:53 AM

steve mcqueen was a racist, bigoted piece of shit. A terrible father, husband and person

Very low IQ, if he were alive, he'd support trump

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2020 3:57 AM

Steve lived in fear that his past as a street hustler would be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2020 4:04 AM

Hey mods, must be a slow night for you to be inventing topics like this.

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2020 4:04 AM

McQueen was a mess. Very insecure, came out the other end from drinking and rug use but became a reactionary in the process. I suspect it had little to do with her, but she probably didn't help. A far better actor than MacGraw, though.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2020 4:04 AM

[quote] steve mcqueen was a racist, bigoted piece of shit. A terrible father, husband and person

Racist too? I believe the other stuff, but he was married to a Filipina-American woman for years. Did he change his views as he aged?

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2020 4:08 AM

[quote] from drinking and rug use

Rug use like Mr. Burt Reynolds?

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2020 4:08 AM

You see scenes like that a lot in movies of the 60s — I mean that still in OP’s post. Why was it cool to brutalize women in the 60s? I was around for most of the decade but too young to have understood.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2020 4:10 AM

Steve could never get far away from his poor white trash upbringing. He came from lower than peasant stock, so he really could not escape his DNA.

Do not blame the women.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2020 4:18 AM

Who know if any of this is true, but according to this blog, he was no stranger to sex with men. Not by a long shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2020 4:24 AM

knows^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2020 4:25 AM

R3 He was many things but he was a good loving father. Also there is no accounts of him being racist, Stop lying.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2020 4:27 AM

R6 I agree,

Steve had problems before Ali, but when she entered his life, he became a total mess. After the divorce, he got his life together again but it was for a very short time before he became ill.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2020 4:29 AM

R9 The movie was in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2020 4:30 AM

R7 There is no accounts of Steve being racist, R3 is lying and making up this stuff.

Also, Steve McQueen was a great loving father. He was even a good 2nd father to Ali and Bob Evans's son

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2020 4:34 AM

Terry McQueen Talks About Steve McQueen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2020 4:35 AM

[quote] [R9] The movie was in the 1970s

Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2020 4:38 AM

He was a ridiculous diva. Counted the number of words of dialogue & had to have more than other actors. Demanded having control of billing in headlines & on screen. Insisted in having scenes of himself on motorcycles or in sports cars in all his movies. Made them write a scene in Great Escape of him on a motorcycle, so they wrote in a totally fabricated motorcycle chase. Was a sexist who didn’t want his wives to work. Their job was to cook, clean & serve him. He used to rent a suite at the Beverly Wiltshire to interview young starlets for roles in movies that didn’t exist. Harvey Weinstein was an amateur compared to McQueen.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2020 4:54 AM

R19 Harvey Weinstein????!!!

Steve McQueen didn't rape women.

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2020 4:58 AM

That's what they said about Kirk Douglas, R20

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2020 5:04 AM

R21 Go back to sleep N (Natalie)

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2020 5:06 AM

One of the tabloids published a photo of his emaciated corpse.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2020 5:16 AM

From Ali MacGraw book:

"The truth was that I had had a kind of druggy affair periodically during that movie, The next day we rode back to town, the way we came, through that ravishing wilderness, and then back to reality — Los Angeles. The storm in our relationship seemed to be subsiding. We had our last meal in Montana at a funky bar/restaurant, with our guide and a South American big game hunter he had befriended. At dinner Steve went on and on about trucks and camshafts and God-only-knew-what car talk with our guide.

And I, having nothing to add to that conversation, decided to practice my so-so Italian with the other member of the dinner party, who seemed to be equally bored with the topic of vehicles. The South American was attractive and spoke several languages, but I had no interest in him other than passing the evening.

I had fallen back in love with Steve during our Yellowstone adventure, and I was looking forward to going home and beginning again. But, once again by ourselves in the hotel room, Steve started a jealous diatribe, and he did not let up all the way back to Los Angeles.

He was convinced that I had been flirting with the man from Chile, and nothing I said could convince him otherwise. It was a nightmarish interrogation that went on relentlessly.

I was exhausted from crying, and began to think that he planned to get me so tired and incoherent that I could be gaslit into saying what he wanted to hear: that I had been carrying on with whatever-his-name-was, in a “foreign language,” deliberately trying to make a fool of Steve.

Finally, I snapped. I remember the look of horror on Chad’s face as I screamed at his father that I wanted a divorce, and that I wanted him out of the house. (Steve, at least, had somewhere else to go.) I told him I would need thirty days to find a home for myself and Joshua, and that until then, he could come back to Trancas two nights a week to be with the two boys.

Shortly after, I called Steve on an impulse to tell him that I thought we had made a terrible mistake. His reply sent a dagger through my heart: “I am not in love with you anymore,” he said. “I love you, but I am not in love.”

Although I had asked for a divorce, I do not think the finality of our separation hit home until then. I cried hysterically, alone and out loud, with only the family dog to console me.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2020 5:19 AM

Ali still feel guilty about Steve McQueen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2020 5:57 AM

[quote]Steve could never get far away from his poor white trash upbringing. He came from lower than peasant stock, so he really could not escape his DNA.

Yes, how unlike a royal role model like Prince Andrew, with his gilded and exemplary DNA.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2020 6:06 AM

Ali MacGraw apologizing to Steve McQueen:

"It has taken years for me to sort out my pain about that unfinished business. What has finally worked for me has been my own deep faith that somehow we are all looped together in Infinity — that now, if not then, Steve knows that I love and forgive him.

My strong personal conviction is that his tragic illness was fanned by a lifetime of anger and suspicion, and that rage and pain caused the fatal cancer.

How tragic it was that a man who had — or nearly had — absolutely everything could have spent a lifetime feeling wary of his friends, and certain that the whole world was out to do him in. I have ached for him, for the hugs and support he never had as a child.

I am sorry for all the times that my own selfishness prevented me from looking beneath his thoughtlessness for the battered creature within. We met and fell in love at the wrong time in each of our lives. I am sure we are linked in some way together, forever."

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2020 6:15 AM

He might have had all those problems, but from all the evidence of her speaking that appears in this thread, she sounds like a total fruit-loop.

Her response in OP's story, if it's to being told not to lead, sounds like the Duchess of Markle.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2020 6:37 AM

R28 Ali was fucked up, She ruined Steve's life.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2020 6:46 AM

She rooned him!

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2020 3:57 PM

Steve McQueen was horribly abused by the juvenile system. Physical abuse. He had much to recover from. And is this is what Ali McGraw was like - what a horribly combination.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2020 4:06 PM

Was it an AIDS death?

1980, age 50, “cancer.”

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2020 4:14 PM

He had mesothelioma. More than likely from serving in the Navy. The ships were full of asbestos.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2020 4:37 PM

R33, do you know whether he contacted on of those law firms that advertises on the tv?

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2020 4:42 PM

R33, do you know whether he contacted on of those law firms that advertises on the tv?

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote]do you know whether he contacted on of those law firms that advertises on the tv?

Who would have been advertising for that back then?

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2020 4:53 PM

I think Steve and Ali were toxic and bad for each other.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2020 7:12 PM

McQueen was a mean prick and a cheapskate. He treated women like shit. I dont think he cared for women much actually. Seems like I remember reading his mother was a prostitute or something to that efffect. I use to see McGraw areound town in santa fe when I lived there and she was well liked and aging well. Never thought she was much of an actress really, but she was/is a nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2020 8:02 PM

I have no great use for Ali, but the version I've always heard was HE ruined HER career. Her career was really hot but he wanted her barefoot and, if not pregnant, around and slavishly devoted. Total dick.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2020 8:28 PM

She wouldn't have lasted much longer, in terms of a career. The limits of her talent were obvious. What little she brings to "The Getaway" probably was a function of her affair with McQueen. BTW--the original choice to direct that film was Bogdanovich not Peckinpah and Bogdanovich wanted Cybill Shepherd in the role that MacGraw played. That would have been a real disaster. peckinpah was familiar with the novel on which the film was based and was a more appropriate director.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2020 9:45 PM

R39 That's just a myth. Ali MacGraw couldn't act her way through a paper bag. She should be grateful for Steve who spared her the embarrassment she would have endured if she made failed movies with bad acting during the course of their relationship. At least she had an excuse later that Steve stalled her hot career. She would have failed no matter what. She just got lucky in love story and her marriage to Bob Evans, She was a terrible actress.

She was so bad in the Gateway, that people in the theater clapped when Steve slapped her in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2020 10:54 PM

Literally no one is this thread has argued Ali MacGraw was a great or even good actress.

Her poor acting doesn't justify shitting on her for unsubstantiated reasons.

Why are there so many fucking misogynists on this God-damned site? It's pretty fucking sickening. You can't put them all on "ignore."

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2020 11:20 PM

Ali MacGraw Talks About Steve McQueen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2020 11:23 PM

According to Wikipedia he would often have written into his contact that they provide jeans and razors which he would then donate to the reform school, the California Junior Boys Republic, where he stayed as a teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2020 11:31 PM

Well, [41], I wasn't saying she could act; I said she was hot--her career--she was being offered things. Talent had nothing to do with it....Is this really news in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2020 11:40 PM

He was a wife beater and a so-so actor.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2020 11:42 PM

Greedy bottom who hated gay men.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2020 11:42 PM

Contact = contracts

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2020 11:47 PM

Talent had nothing to do with it. She was a movie sensation at the time. Her first three movies were hits. Love Story was one of the highest grossing movies of its time.

Marrying Steve and retiring took the wind out of her sails. She never recovered her huge fame. It also didn't help that she had one of the worst hairstyles ever captured on film for her comeback movie, Convoy.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2020 12:06 AM

Ali was jealous of Steve's closeness with his daughter Terry:

"Terry didn’t get along at all well with Ali during the time Ali and Steve were married. There was more to it than Terry’s “adolescent bullshit.” Slowly, as Ali came to understand Steve’s hatred of his mother and resentment of all women, she realized there was one exception: his daughter.

They might quarrel; they might argue; but Steve adored her and everyone knew it.

“I think there was a little bit of jealousy there,” says Terry. ‘‘My dad always resented women to a certain extent— except for me. I think that used to bother Ali.”

Much later, Terry recalls, Ali apologized. “I’m sorry for anything I ever did to cause problems between you and your dad. I didn’t mean to. It was something I couldn’t help.”

They could only become friends after the marriage ended ."

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2020 12:34 AM

Bob Evans tried to force Ali MacGraw down people's throat:

"In 1972, when her footprints were set in cement outside Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood, the ceremonies were protested by picketers carrying signs reading: Ali MacGraw. Who Are You?

Gene Kelly, the actor who preceded her, had been honored for a career spanning twenty-five years. "

Two weeks later, Ali MacGraw’s footprints were mysteriously filled in during the night.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2020 12:38 AM

Like most ingenues, esp. the ones who can't act, she would have been finished in no time---a passably pretty face can always be replaced. Marrying Robert Evans was smart. Getting involved with McQueen was not.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2020 12:47 AM

MacGraw in Winds of War was appallingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2020 12:49 AM

James Cobum said : “Steve was protecting Ali by not letting her work. He knew she was a lousy actress and he didn’t want her hurt.”

As I said Steve was sparing her the embarrassment and hurt, He saw her performance in the Gateway and how the audience reacted to her acting in the theater, they clapped when Steve slapped Ali in the film.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2020 12:55 AM

False equivalence r26, but you be you.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2020 12:59 AM

He interviewed with a reporter at a pool stark naked. Why wasn't I given that assignment???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2020 1:12 AM

I'd rather have Ryan O'Neal. I'd still not say "I'm Sorry".

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2020 1:16 AM

[quote] Steve McQueen didn't rape women.

How do you know?

A young actress in those days goes to police & says Steve McQueen raped me. He told me to meet him In a hotel room at the Beverly Wiltshire and he got on top of me & forced himself on me. They lol at her. They might shake McQueen down. Tell him about the actress, get a few bucks & a ride on his motorcycle. It took years to get Weinstein in the 2000s, how do you think a massive box office success movie star admired by male America as the coolest guy on earth, who had Hollywood to protect him, was going to get arrested in the 1960s?

The studios paid off police, tabloids, gossip columnists, detectives for all kinds of things. Homosexuality, drug abuse, adultery, domestic violence, rape, pedophilia. Nearly all kid actors in Hollywood, after growing up, reported being molested by someone at the studios. No one was ever busted or exposed.

They would not allow a box office star like McQueen be exposed as a rapist. They’d say “what kind of girl goes to a hotel room to meet Steve McQueen?” The public would have agreed in the 1960s. You went to a hotel room to meet a married movie star, you’re a woman of loose morals.

McQuren used prostitutes. Everyone in Hollywood knew. He had a massive cocaine habit. Everyone knew. Did you ever hear about it? That kind of thing stayed quiet in those days. President’s mistresses stayed quiet until 1995 or so.

McQueen was even quoted by Bugliosi in Helter Skelter making a joke about the drains in Los Angeles being full of drugs as everyone flushed theirs away immediately when they heard about the murders. He reportedly ordered a clean up of Jay Sebring’s house. He - and other stars - expected a huge police drug investigation into movie stars after the murders - like Redlands & other busts in the UK - that never came.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2020 1:53 AM

R58 You're calling him a rapist (as if it was a fact) because he was powerful and can get away with, without actually any real accusation against him. By you twisted logic, we can go around calling any wealthy powerful man "a rapist" (because they can get away with it) You're sick and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2020 2:02 AM

R59, R58 made a real accusation; he just hasn’t provided evidence to back it up.

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2020 2:08 AM

R60 I know, It's really stupid , he's accusing someone of being a rapist as a matter of fact, just because he was powerful, wealthy and drug addict actor. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2020 2:13 AM

Erm, R20 is the one who said “rapist.” McQueen having a suite at the Wiltshire (while married) to interview young starlets for sex is exactly the MO Weinstein had. Except Weinstein was actually making a movie. McQueen wasn’t.

It was R20 who declared McQueen wasn’t a rapist....yet how do we know? What kind of married guy rents a hotel suite & gets young women to come to his room under the pretense of interviewing them for nonexistent films? That was Cosby’s MO, too. “Come see me in my hotel room, we’ll talk about how I can help your career along in Hollywood.”

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2020 2:23 AM

R53- Ali thought that would be her comeback, she was appealingly bad (in what was then a hugely popular miniseries/national obsession) and it finished her career for good.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2020 2:27 AM

R62 Again you're accusing him of being a rapist without any evidence or real accusation. Just because he was a man slut and womanizer. In case you don't know, being a promiscuous womanizer doesn't equal rapist.

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2020 2:28 AM

McQueen lost his virginity at 13 to a teenage hooker with a sweet tooth. “You didn't pay her with money,” he later recalled. “You bought her cakes. She was getting fat but at 15, it gave her big tits.”

by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2020 2:31 AM

I think considering Ali's absolute lack of acting ability, Hollywood gave her many opportunities until her career was finally finished for good. These opportunities weren't given to actors with real or even some talent. I think Ali was loved as a person in Hollywood and of course, her connection with Bob Evans that endured even after the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 66April 21, 2020 2:47 AM

"Why are there so many fucking misogynists on this God-damned site?"

Plenty of old gay white men think they can be misogynist and then get a pass because of white male privilege. They are most likely to start and participate in threads about straight men being hotter and better and so forth. They are likely to bottom shame. They are the loudest assholes on the "frau" threads.

In other words, they are full of self-loathing and like to take it out on anyone they perceive below them, a.k.a. women and minorities.

by Anonymousreply 67April 21, 2020 5:16 AM

Ali MacGraw denies the usual reports that she was a blameless victim in her troubled marriage to Steve McQueen:

-- For six years, she was "Mrs. Steve McQueen," and much has been made about "bad Steve, saint Ali," MacGraw said. "That's a crock." The marriage failed because they two were very different, she was interested in the arts, and he was not, and because they didn't communicate.

"The pop press concocted this story that bores me to death," she said. "It's too bad it didn't work and it didn't work because we didn't speak English to each other."

“This was a man who could walk into any room and [any] man, woman and child would go, ‘Whoa, what’s that?’ And I was no exception,” she explained. “He was incredibly attractive most of the time but there was also danger, there was [a] bad boy there.”

“I wish we had both grown old sober,” admitted MacGraw, who is now single. “There were wonderful days and dreadful days.”

“I’m not a victim in any way,” she added. “There were many times that were just wonderful and there were many times that were just ghastly.”

The former couple lived in a secluded Malibu home where they spent their time “half-naked on the beach” with “regular barbecues… endless beer and grass.”

And while they had Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau as neighbors, they mainly resided with “real people.”

“It wasn’t like you looked out your window and here come 35 people carrying vodka drinks in bikinis,” she said. “That is how Malibu is now. It’s disgusting. It was a different time. A lucky time.”

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2020 2:36 PM

Hang on - Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau lived together in real life?

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2020 3:29 PM

R69, see what R68 wrote:

[quote] And while they had Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau as neighbors

They were neighbors of Ali and Steve but didn’t necessarily live together.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2020 3:42 PM

[quote] The former couple lived in a secluded Malibu home where they spent their time “half-naked on the beach” with “regular barbecues… endless beer and grass.”

Keith Moon wanted so badly to be friends with next door neighbor McQueen, but when he showed up dressed as Hitler when McQueen wasn’t home and scared the liver out Steve’s 14 year old son, things went badly. A 14 year old California beach teen who’s never seen Monty Python (or probably any British comedy, since his father had no sense of humor) and who believed his father was on looney Charles Manson’s hit list was frightened by a looney guy in a Nazi suit barging in on him.

McQueen was not amused.

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2020 3:42 PM

At least she earned her place in rock and roll infamy. The final verse of "Starfucker" by The Rolling Stones: "Ali McGraw got mad with you/for giving head to Steve McQueen."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2020 3:45 PM

Oops, my mistake. Keith Moon didn’t dress as Hitler and go to mcqueens house. He went as himself and was either urging mcqueen’s 14 year old to take drugs or was trying to get drugs from him. Seems unclear. At any rate, the boy was frightened & angered by him. When McQueen found out, he called an FBI agent he knows, who contacted Moon’s lawyer. A sit down was held in an office between McQueen, his lawyer & FBI agent and Moon & his lawyer. That’s when Moon was dressed as a Nazi. He’d gone out partying as Himmler the night before and was still in uniform when roused for the meeting by his lawyer. He refused to change clothes. McQueen had seen Moon parading around the beach in his Nazi outfit before, so it didn’t have the shock value Moon thought it would have. At any rate, an understanding was hammered out & Moon was to stay off McQueen’s property.

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2020 4:14 PM

How do I know that R58 isn't a rapist?

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2020 4:40 PM

Shut up, you old fools

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 26, 2020 2:54 AM

[quote] Also there is no accounts of him being racist, Stop lying.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 76April 26, 2020 3:02 AM

[quote] Plenty of old gay white men think they can be misogynist and then get a pass because of white male privilege.

Off to the safe space with you, Titania.

by Anonymousreply 77April 26, 2020 3:04 AM

They were both off-the-wall cunts.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2020 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!