Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it my imagination, or are the demographics on the people who are dying and getting sick being withheld from us?

All these endless figures being published constantly, but some of the basic information seems to be left out.

I'd like to know the percentages re age as well.

I'd also like to know the percentages re underlying conditions of the people who have died.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2020 3:29 AM

I agree, OP. You can do some filtering of the stats on the CDC page, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2020 12:51 PM

I'll say perhaps as much as half of the deaths that are COVID19 related are not being reported because they were never officially tested.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2020 1:19 PM

I read somewhere that the Federal government isn't tracking the ethnic and racial demographics. The states are, maybe. That's why there is less data about it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2020 1:22 PM

According to ProPublica

[quote] The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tracks virulent outbreaks and typically releases detailed data that includes information about the age, race and location of the people affected. For the coronavirus pandemic, the CDC has released location and age data, but it has been silent on race. The CDC did not respond to ProPublica’s request for race data related to the coronavirus or answer questions about whether they were collecting it at all.

But then the Washington Post finds a guy who says they "know" the CDC are collecting the data.

[quote] The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and most state health departments have not released information about the race and ethnicity of those who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus or died of covid-19, the disease caused by it. The CDC’s public reports have broken down cases by age and gender, while most states have provided information only by county.

[quote] “We know they are collecting the data,” Dariely Rodriguez, director of the Economic Justice Project for the Lawyers’ Committee, said in an interview Monday. She said the CDC’s covid-19 case report form includes sections for ethnicity, sex, race and age. It also asks about testing, hospitalization, admissions to intensive care units and mortality. “It’s a very detailed form,” she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2020 1:26 PM

You have to wait till it's over or more advanced to get any true numbers.

Like with AIDS, you had the tactic of producing horrifying numbers, because it was assumed, incorrectly, it would go into the straight community and it would advance in a similar method. Neither assumption was correct, both were in fact, way off base.

So there is no point giving numbers that will ultimately be wrong and have to be corrected later, when they share no meaningful insights now.

The media keeps using horrific terms for relatively low level numbers. While any individual death is a tragedy, taken as a statistic, will quickly revel something that will only make dealing with the disease harder. The fact that low levels of people are getting it, and even smaller levels are dying from it. No one wants to emphasize that because doing so, could ultimately make the situation worse and uncontrollable.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2020 1:31 PM

I remember a study from Italy saying something like 97% percent of the people who died had one of three underlying conditions. I think one of those conditions was high blood pressure, but I'm not sure. Sorry, I don't have a link, I just read a summary somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2020 1:33 PM

Once Dump "liberates' America the statistics on COVID deaths will become best selling fiction.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2020 1:34 PM

Great post, r5. You should copy/paste it in every thread where people make grandiose statements about the data.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2020 1:37 PM

And circumcision status too!

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2020 1:46 PM

I'm sure we could could get some sort of statistic about age.

I'm sure it massively affecting the over 75s and rare in the under 30s or 40s, even.

But they don't want us to know this.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2020 1:50 PM

We aren't really hearing much in my area that is concrete.

I heard on the live update for KCMO this week, two 30 year olds have died with NO underlying health conditions. The health director specifically said it while wearing a mask trying to get the point across to wear masks in public.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2020 1:56 PM

There's an attempt to do this in NJ. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2020 2:00 PM

I wonder if there's an autopsy or genetic tests carried out when someone without known underlying conditions dies of COVID at a young age

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2020 2:02 PM

I don't think it's a conspiracy - the hospitals are too busy dealing with the sick and dying.

There's no plot to keep us all scared.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2020 2:05 PM

R14 with the voice of reason.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2020 2:09 PM

If it's any help, the Australian government, which is one of the world's biggest Covid testers, publishes the graphs for its data. These show by far the largest number of confirmed infections by demographic is in women aged 20-29, followed by men in the same age group. 0-19s and 80-90+s are the two smallest groups for recorded infections.

So far there have been no recorded deaths in anyone aged under 40. 30% of hospital admissions have been aged under 60, but none under 30. The risk of death appears negligible up to the 60-69 group, and that group is greatly exceeded by deaths in men aged 70-79 and 80-89, where male deaths exceed females by nearly 2:1. More females have died in the 90+ group, but that's because there are a lot more women in the normal demographic at that age. Bear in mind that the Australian hospital system hasn't (yet) got overwhelmed anywhere. If that happens you'd expect a higher proportion of deaths.

I haven't seen data graphed by race, but I doubt it's a big issue. The "hot spot" areas are largely (though not all) high socioeconomic localities, because well over half Australia's infections came from overseas, and half of those off cruise ships. This means it hit tourists, business travellers and the Australian travelling class, which is by no means disadavantaged whatever its race of origin. Vulnerable remote Aboriginal communities were quarantined before anyone else - easy because they're remote.

Australia is a small data set, but at least it does have Government reporting and high rates of testing, so I hope this helps. Google Covid Statistics Australia if you want to see the graphs.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2020 2:15 PM

Thank you for a VERY informative post, r16.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2020 2:21 PM

More Australian statistics. This study was of only 2,000 people, so it has wide margins of error, but I thought you might like to hear because it's a rare study of speed of recovery, for those who have already recovered.

Half had recovered after 16 days, 75% after 21 days, and 95% after 6 weeks. I'm not sure where that leaves the other 5%: they're not deaths but whether they just took longer or have permanent problems the announcement didn't say. They did say it was preliminary data from the study, so there might be more on that later.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2020 3:19 AM

There is this study from New York data

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2020 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!