Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Night Tide" (1961) with Dennis Hopper

Has anyone else seen this? It's a great, quasi-horror movie about a sailor who falls in love with a mysterious woman who may in fact be a siren. It was one of Dennis Hopper's first major roles. The whole thing has a strange, dreamlike quality, and is visually similar to "Carnival of Souls." Getting to see Hopper's young, tight ass in those sailor pants throughout is an added bonus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 11, 2020 10:40 PM

I know the first Reply is supposed to be snarky but I have loved this movie for years. I own the DVD and watch it at least once a year. Thank you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2020 7:03 AM

OP, I guess it's just you and me. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to watch it again right now.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2020 4:15 PM

Is it streaming anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2020 7:44 PM

Curtís Harrington is now recognized as a groundbreaking gay director.

He directed Hopper again a few years later in the entertaining space horror Queen of Blood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2020 7:50 PM

This is streaming for free on Tubi.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2020 7:58 PM

Thanks for sharing this great film! It really draws the viewer in from the first frame.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2020 8:06 PM

I love the jazz club scenes, they feel very authentic.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2020 8:38 PM

R3 I know Amazon Prime has it, and it's in the OP link on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2020 10:21 PM

Curtis Harrington was a great director. He always made really interesting films that usually featured one or two aging actresses getting a chance to play fun roles that they normally wouldn't get in regular Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2020 10:29 PM

R9 a prime example of this is Harrington's "Ruby" with Piper Laurie, though it was an odd career move on her part considering she had just gotten an Oscar nom for "Carrie." It is not a good movie, but it is atmospheric and genuinely weird. Laurie plays an ex-gun moll who spends most of the film sashaying around her Southern mansion like Norma Desmond, whilst running a haunted drive-in-theater next-door. Her daughter ends up possessed at one point. The film makes little sense and is rather insane, but I do enjoy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2020 10:35 PM

I can't find proof of this (through IMDB) but I swear Curtis Harrington is in Mulholland Drive. The scene with Naomi Watt's audition scene with Chad Everett.,,

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2020 10:38 PM

OP and R1, thank you for reminding me to watch Night Tide again. I just moved it to the top of my Amazon watchlist. It has a surreal, "off" atmosphere - nowhere near as much as Carnival of Souls, but still enough to make it fun. I love that ambiance.

And Dennis Hopper? He was really handsome in this film, at the age of 25. I think he was a handsome man well into middle age, but he was gorgeous in Night Tide.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2020 11:05 PM

One thing that I love about older films like these without elaborate sets is that they provide authentic documentation of what our world looked like in the past - buildings, cars, fashions, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2020 12:04 AM

R13 Yes, great point. Film makers couldn't afford to create sets so they used real locations. Also, some early TV like The Naked City. Beautiful New York locations - buildings and storefronts that no longer exist.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2020 1:53 AM

I agree, R13 and R14. Sometimes, watching an old movie or TV show, I lose track of the story because I'm so busy noticing how everything looked. Admiring a woman's stylish suit and hat or the messy but vibrant look city streets had in those day, I realize I've been paying no attention to what's actually happening in the plot. That's why it can take me two hours to watch an 80 minute movie - I'm always going back and replaying scenes to see what I missed (or just to admire that suit or that street again).

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2020 8:50 AM

I see what you mean about the similarity to Carnaval of Souls, especially the scene where he’s running around under the pier among the pilings - just like the penultimate scene in COS. Also, both set in amusement parks, both shot in B&W, and this creepy “what’s really going on” question hanging over the action.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2020 2:05 PM

I like "Ruby", but it kind of bothers me that the drive in is showing "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" about 7 years before it was released.....

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2020 2:31 PM

R17 - Maybe it’s because the drive-in is HAUNTED (per OP).

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2020 2:36 PM

Ah......yes that could be it......at least it's an answer!

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2020 2:53 PM

Curtis Harrington directed the thriller What's The Matter With Helen with Debbie Reynolds and Shelly Winters. I've enjoyed it many times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2020 3:05 PM

Curtis Harrington's small output of films always look cheap and lurid. He ended-up directing nighttime soaps like Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2020 3:31 PM

“Cheap and lurid” is a natural draw for me.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2020 3:44 PM

The eighties "deranged villain" roles of Dennis Hopper (Blue Velvet, Speed) make it hard for me to see through to the DH of the films at the OP and at r4.

I will persevere, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2020 4:03 PM

R23 I know! There was almost a 'sweetness' to his early performances.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2020 4:57 PM

Just discovered this memoir. It's out of print but available in Kindle edition.

I love the title!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2020 7:29 PM

^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2020 7:32 PM

Harrington's Queen of Blood at r4 also features DL perennial hunk John Saxon.

The director had good taste in men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2020 7:40 PM

Thanks for posting the movie!

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2020 4:50 AM

Dennis Hopper getting massage in Night Tide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2020 4:56 AM

I want this poster!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2020 4:53 PM

This one is also fantastic.

It will put you back over 700 bucks, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2020 4:56 PM

I love how R21 said "cheap and lurid" like it was a bad thing. These were horror movies and psycho thrillers. That's a plus for movies like that.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2020 5:20 PM

Generally speaking any movie from before 1970 that's labeled "lurid" is a winner. After that, most movies not made by Disney were lurid by earlier standards, so the word doesn't mean much for movies from later in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2020 12:20 AM

Not to derail the thread, but as evidence of the above, I offer Homicidal (1961) - practically the definition of "lurid" at the time and a delight to watch now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2020 12:22 AM

We might need a thread on lurid horror from pre-1970.

Homicidal is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2020 2:56 PM

I still don't understand how Helga's staircase elevator works......the way it looks there should be a huge hole in the floor at the bottom of the steps......HOMICIDAL indeed......I do like how Richard Rust the hotel bellboy is taken in by the .... well......I won't spoil it for anyone.....

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2020 3:37 PM

A truly underrated aesthete of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2020 4:38 PM

Another great Curtis Harrington flick is "Games" with Simone Signoret, James Caan, and Katharine Ross. It's a fun, twisty thriller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2020 7:33 AM

Watched the colorized version of Night Tide. Good stuff!

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2020 8:38 PM

Night Tide color version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2020 8:43 PM

R38 I forgot about Games! It was so new for the time. All the twists and turns - plus Luana Anders.

by Anonymousreply 41April 27, 2020 8:56 PM

I love Games!

Great role for Simone Signoret and 1970 James Can was scorching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 27, 2020 9:08 PM

Forget the mermaid story. I'd rather see a sexy merman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2020 4:35 AM

Aquaman getting lucky with a sailor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 2, 2020 4:37 AM

Thanks for thread, I’d never heard of this before and just watched it on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 45May 2, 2020 6:27 PM

Florence Marly at R4 is my spirit animal.

by Anonymousreply 46May 2, 2020 6:33 PM

GAMES is just a rip-off of Signoret's earlier DIABOLIQUE.

So is HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE frankly, but GAMES is even closer to the original.

Check out THE KILLING KIND from 1972 with hunky John Savage, Ann Southern, Ruth Roman, Luana Anders, and a young Cindy Williams. Now that movie is lurid.

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2020 7:37 PM

Ugh, The Killing Kind is yucky. Almost a celebration of sadism and misogyny. There's nothing scary or even especially campy about it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2020 5:51 PM

Dennis Hopper is a right-wing nutjob.

BYE, FELICIA.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2020 9:38 PM

^ He died ten years ago, r49.

And he supported Obama in '08 despite being a registered Republican, so he had some common sense on his way out the door.

But his life was really a mess of drugs and disastrous marriages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2020 3:07 PM

Yes OP, I agree with your initial summary about NIGHT TIDE.

You know, I saw this on VHS in the 90's. I rented it from Kim's in NYC and there was a hand-written employee review on a little car tucked into the back of the box (as the store did in the early 90's) saying almost the same thing you did, I'll never forget it. "If you like CARNIVAL OF SOULS you'll like this spooky little love story set in a sea side carnival." Or something like that.

Over the years I found I'm drawn to this film again and again because it's so haunting and hypnotic. There's something very calming about it. I have a downloaded copy on my hard drive. I really should buy the DVD or BluRay at this point.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2020 3:31 PM

Thanks OP! I haven't thought of this film in years.

R51 I lived in the East Village late 80's/early 90's and frequented Kim's and know exactly what you're talking about. Those note cards! I found them extremely helpful and they were obviously written by people who loved films, particularly obscure ones. They were also honest. Sometimes they said, "This sucks! Don't rent it."

I assume you'e talking about the one on St. Mark's Place notoriously located above The Gap, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2020 9:50 PM

I miss independent video rental places. I used to walk my dog to one, peruse forever, settle on one, pick up a pizza, get high with my boyfriend, and watch some oddity we had no clue about since there was no internet.

It seems an almost quaint existence now.

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2020 4:01 AM

R53 Yes, agreed. I miss these places too. Really good independent video stores were like libraries. You could also easily bump into experts of all kinds of genres, often the staff too. Everyone shared their knowledge. They were like little communities of film appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2020 10:58 AM

r46, Florence Marly recorded a song for Queen of Blood - a collaboration with Frank Zappa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 21, 2020 2:50 PM

Does the shell talk dirty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2020 5:48 PM

Forget about Dennis Hopper's ass in his pants OP. What about that movie from 1977 where he's walking around on a train NAKED and you get to see his COCK AND BALLS and his cute ASS.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2020 9:02 PM

Dennis Hopper as Tarzan? In a Warhol production?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2020 8:07 PM

Dennis Hopper plays Tarzan's stunt double.

Warhol put one of his "fey" regulars into the Tarzan role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2020 8:09 PM

Warhol's Tarzan is on the right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2020 8:10 PM

Hopper is sexy af in those pictures R58 and R60.

by Anonymousreply 61May 29, 2020 10:28 PM

Has anyone seen Andy Warhol's Tarzan and Jane Regained, Sort Of?

I'm trying to find it, but the only streaming option looks pretty shady.

It sounds both challenging and hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 1, 2020 5:43 PM

Dennis Hopper has a Luke or Owen Wilson vibe about him in some stills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 11, 2020 10:16 PM

Night Tide was made into a musical at the NY Musical Festival in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2020 10:19 PM

R64, you made DL worth coming to today.

This lanky Patrick Dunn is fetching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 11, 2020 10:27 PM

The musical is coming to Hammond, Indiana next month, pandemic permitting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 11, 2020 10:32 PM

I saw it in 2017 ZZZzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 67June 11, 2020 10:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!