Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Least Polarizing VP

We know Trump will attack Biden's running mate, but who among these would be the least polarizing VP pick for Biden (polarizing when it comes to the entire national electorate)?

Amy Klobuchar

Gretchen Whitmer

Kamala Harris

Elizabeth Warren

Tammy Duckworth

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2020 3:18 AM

Your last list is too short

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2020 5:13 PM

R1, note the use of "among these".

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2020 5:16 PM

Duckworth is the best choice, easily. She's a war veteran, Asian, not too liberal, not nearly as "meh" as Kamala, an amputee, etc. A VP should compliment the president politically while also earning votes in states where the president may not be as attractive in. I really don't think Joe can do better than her. I think Klobuchar would be redundant, Joe already has good support in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2020 5:18 PM

Sheesh.

Duckworth as President???

That is the best that the Dems can come up with?

Have you lost your minds?

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2020 5:21 PM

R4, wtf is wrong with Duckworth?

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2020 5:23 PM

Duckworth's mother is Chinese-Thai (father is white American). The Chinese part will invite attacks. But for the virus, she'd be the least polarizing. That said, I think Whitmer and then Klobuchar are the least polarizing.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2020 5:23 PM

I don't want a president Amy. There are only so many staplers the White House can pay for.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2020 5:24 PM

Note that polarizing is just the premise of the question - not the one who'll be the best to help Biden win. Polarizing figures can galvanize segments of the electorate, so it's not always a bad thing. But here, it's just about who would be the least polarizing.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2020 5:26 PM

I'd love Kamala Harris to be his VP.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2020 5:27 PM

R4 is a MAGAt, R5. Ignore

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2020 5:28 PM

Warren is up there in the poll. That's reassuring. I was worried moderate voters would find her "big, structural changes" thing intimidating and polarizing. It may not be, given that America is ready for change in the face of the virus crisis.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2020 5:32 PM

Why pick least polarizing? What will give Biden the win is someone who attracts more demographics. Including those who prefer someone who really gets under the skin of Trump and the Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2020 5:55 PM

R12, I expected that. It's just the poll. It's like asking "Who will the electorate say looks best in a navy blue suit?" - it's just the premise of the question.

See R8.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2020 5:56 PM

Whitmer is more polarizing than Warren in the poll. Huh.

I think some may be a bit confused about what being polarizing means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2020 6:04 PM

Get the fuck outta here with that Klobuchar choice. She's completely devoid of personality and not many find her at all appealing except dreary center right Dems and "moderate" (ah yes, that unicorn) Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2020 6:59 PM

Duckworth would be the best antithesis to Trump and I think conventionally appealing to a broad base.

However, Trump would agitate his racist base with Chinese angle in two seconds flat. Her service and sacrifice would be irrelevant since he’s already on record attacking and belittling John McCain as a POW.

You’re at a twisted advantage when you have no shame.

History will judge without pity, though.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2020 7:54 PM

r16 Duckworth is not Chinese. She is half-Thai. Thai are asian but not Chinese

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2020 7:59 PM

R17, there are many ethnic Chinese in Thailand. Her mother is Chinese Thai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2020 8:16 PM

Stop pushing Amy on us. NO-ONE likes that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2020 8:21 PM

Klobuchar Almost had a nervous breakdown during the debate with Pete. She’s completely unsuitable.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2020 8:21 PM

Beware of bot trolls bearing gifts. Natasha will return here next week and use these very results to raise our hackles.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2020 8:24 PM

I'm a Canadian. Who the hell is Tammy Duckworth? And is she supposed to be to Joe Biden what Tim Kaine was to Hillary Clinton? Forget it!!

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2020 8:33 PM

I don't really want to go into the idea of who is "least polarizing", but I will say that I would prefer someone who has been vetted. So for that reason alone, Tammy Duckworth and Gretchen Whitmer are out. Warren is the best choice, and Klobuchar and Harris are fine too.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2020 8:41 PM

Warren is polarizing but she’s popular with the far left. She’s also up to the job.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2020 8:45 PM

R23, the vetting is the main purpose of having a committee in the campaign to select the VP. It's happening now.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2020 10:03 PM

R22, she's not much of a publicity hound, for better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2020 10:04 PM

When you ask "1 (really dislike) to 10, (really like) what's your opinion on [the person]?", the least polarizing is the one where the responses are most clustered near the middle (5).

At this point, the least polarizing figure is whoever the media Of late has covered the least, because inevitably once a figure is covered in the media, people will develop an opinion of the person, typically at or near the extremes.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2020 10:17 PM

the one *for whom

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2020 10:22 PM

I'm hoping he chooses Gretchen Whitmer.

She will get all of Democratic Michigan voters on her side. She already has the hatred aimed at her that was directed at Hilary Clinton, which ultimately gives her more publicity and raises her profile.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2020 10:35 PM

Biden needs to choose someone who will attract those independent voters who voted for Trump. The non deplorable Trump voters want someone who speaks to the middle and lower class and the issues they care about, that's what Biden needs to keep in mind as he chooses a VP.

It's too bad he locked himself into choosing a woman, he needs to search every possible choice regardless of gender.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2020 10:41 PM

Duckworth is going to be interviewed by the campaign soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 5:53 AM

Mentions a seemingly narrowed field.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 5:57 AM

R22, she's a Democratic senator from Illinois. This is from PBS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2020 6:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2020 6:04 AM

Duckworth is an interesting choice. Didn't she coin Cadet Bone Spurs to mock Trump? I could see her having more appeal to suburban women voters than anyone else on that list. Harris is smart just not very likable. Though her shredding Pence in debate would be fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2020 6:05 AM

R35, that's right re Cadet Bone Spurs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2020 6:07 AM

Watching those speeches I realized Duckworth has a major potential liability: her accent. It is less Hawaiian (Where she graduated high school) and more southeast Asian, where she was born and educated until age 16. A future president speaking in Singlish cadence and pronunciation? She better flatten and nasal those vowels out, fast.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2020 8:40 AM

Duckworth is not a known commodity to most of the US and therefore does nothing for Biden one way or the other. She is absolutely a Tim Kaine 2.0. Why is this is the case, I don't know and will not speculate upon - but it doesn't matter really as it is what it is. Everyone who cares about politics knows Harris, Warren and Klobuchar. Whitmer is great but is too green and lacks experience. This election is not child's play - it needs to be taken VERY seriously. I doubt that any of the three I mentioned above will necessarily win Biden any specific states that he would not win on his own. The VP choice needs to be the right age, have the right experience and bring both her intellect and energy to the ticket. All 3 are Senators and the vacancy left needs to be assured to stay Dem if Biden wins. For me the choice is obvious.

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2020 9:21 AM

Threads like this are called Opposition Research and, in this context, data mine information to harm Biden. Stop being such easy fucking marks for every single social engineering effort these Russian trolls throw at you.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2020 9:24 AM

R38, Duckworth has no known enemies, wasn’t a prosecutor, and has an amazing history of service. Pritzker will nominate a Dem to replace her in the Senate, obviously. That many people don’t know of Duckworth doesn’t make her noahter Kaine: she’s charismatic and the campaign has a unique opportunity to present her fresh to the public.

More white Midwestern males will show up to vote against Harris than will show up to vote against Duckworth, I suspect. I think that matters, when it comes to winning.

But yes, as someone above said, her accent might be an issue. There are other presentational issues, as well, weighing both for and against her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2020 4:09 PM

*another Kaine

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2020 4:09 PM

“When I see myself wearing those legs in a mirror, I see loss. But when I see this”—she gestures toward the steel-and-titanium prosthesis attached to her thigh above her right knee—“I see strength. I see a reminder of where I am now.” Same thing with her wheelchair. “People always want me to hide it in pictures. I say no! I earned this wheelchair. It’s no different from a medal I wear on my chest. Why would I hide it?”

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2020 4:11 PM

R39, please block me.

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2020 4:19 PM

Don't think they'd go easy on her because of her disability. Even before the GOP became the Church of Satan, they swift-boated Max Cleland out of his Senate seat in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2020 4:21 PM

R44, I'm hoping she can handle it. I mean one leg was vaporized and the other amputated by a Black Hawk control panel, so it's possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2020 4:25 PM

I don't like the choices in this poll. All of those women are polarizing for one reason or another. Biden's only chance of winning is to pick a VP who is a minority, but can also win over Bernie's supporters. Stop trying to make plays for the suburban Karen's of the world; they won't be coming to vote for the Democratic ticket in November. Nina Turner would be my personal choice, but someone like Barbara Lee or Ayanna Presley would work as well. No to Warren, Harris or Klobuchar. Duckworth would get crushed and Whitmer will draw unflattering Hillary comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2020 4:33 PM

[Quote] Nina Turner would be my personal choice

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2020 4:38 PM

Ayanna Presley? My Congresswoman. She would be incredibly controversial and a fatal error as a choice for VP. Why not Che Guevara?

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2020 2:13 AM

You know I didn't even know Duckeorth wad being considered but the more I think of it the more I like it. She is a Bad Ass! We know she's fucking resilient, because Hello! She gets her fucking legs blown off and instead of curling up in a ball of PTSD ( which sh would have every right to do) she runs for Congress and gets it. And she's no shrinking violet. She's strong, well-spoken and an extremely vauable member o the Dems. And I know this won't matter to most of you heartless gays here but let's not forget she stood up to the " good ole boys" club and advocated to become the First ever mother in Congress to NURSE on the floor! Can you even imagine the disgust Old Turtle had to hide the first time she whipped out one of her boobs in front of god and everyone?! I would have paid good $$ to see that shit go down! Count me in as someone who thinks this lady has a LOT more to offer this Country if she was picked as Joe's V.P.

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2020 2:45 AM

r44 And that despicable display was cooked up by MSNBC's new best friend Rick Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2020 2:52 AM

"More white Midwestern males will show up to vote against Harris than will show up to vote against Duckworth, I suspect. I think that matters, when it comes to winning."

If you are referring to Republican males - they are going to show up to vote Trump no matter who the Dem VP is. No VP choice on the opposite side of the ballot is going to change that. If you are talking about male Democrats, Harris has far, far more momentum than Duckworth from a national standpoint. Neither candidate can "guarantee the Midwest". With Obama's momentum behind Harris - the ability to energize swing voters in states from every end of the country could make all the difference however (including some of these key swing states). Who exactly does Duckworth energize to vote? Possibly armed service members? In 2018, a survey showed only 7 % of those enlisted members surveyed said that they had no plans to vote. In a presidential election year, the number will most likely be ever lower. Those voters will not jump parties for the most part - no matter who is running - so I doubt that you will see much of a play here. I like Tammy; she is a great Senator. That said, I love Kamala. IMO, Harris is an exemplary politician in every way who just happens to be female and who also just happens to be half black. Our party would be ignorant to shut out a black running mate when considering a huge voting base that historically wins us elections and deserves representation. Personally, I think that would be a slap in the face and I am about as white and as male as it gets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2020 3:12 AM

I think Biden boxed himself in with the female VP promise

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2020 3:18 AM

What r30 and r39 said. They are absolutely correct.

Trump would have a heyday with Duckworth’s last name. He’d probably call her a quack job.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2020 3:29 AM

The only thing good about it is Bernie Bros can’t screech that Bernie should be VP, because he’s not a woman. Other than that they would be screaming about how Bernie is the one and only person that should be VP. Two eighty year olds running the country. Nothing could be worse. But they don’t care. They’re nihilists.

by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2020 3:30 AM

R53, have you ever heard Duckworth talk? She would rip him a new asshole. She’s the one that coined the term, Bone Spurs to describe him.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 3:31 AM

If picking someone who Trump won't make fun is the criteria for VP, you might as well just leave the slot empty.

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2020 3:32 AM

R46 - if Bernie voters could hardly be bothered to show up to vote for Bernie, what makes you think that choosing a no-name for Biden's ticket is going to somehow energize them? Any and I do mean ANY Dem who will not bother to show up, show support and vote blue down the ticket this year is no better than a Trump voter. We are voting for not only a President, but also Senators, Representatives and US democracy as we used to know it (which will not exist at all if we throw it away and don't put up a fight). My crazed 91 yoa grandmother who is a Fox News loon keeps chanting the mantra "vote Trump or don't vote at all". I shut her down quickly but have to assume this is some Hannity or Ingraham motto. Low turnout kills Dems. Rethugs always turn out. Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2020 3:45 AM

It’s going to be Val Demings. I can just feel it.

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2020 4:36 AM

Kamala Harris is the best VP candidate. The Biden/Harris ticket has been touted as the most formidable since the beginning of the campaign. Of the field, Harris has the longest and most auspicious record of public service.

This slow reveal is not helping Democrats. Biden should announce his selection of Harris as VP and they should get on with it.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2020 5:17 AM

Are we really still terrified of Trump? He’s in the midst of self-destruction, basically a smoking crater with a spray tan.

Fuck Trump’s “attacks.” Choose the candidate who helps sway the swing states and would also be a competent president in case Biden is incapacitated.

by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2020 5:43 AM

What’s a duckworth?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2020 5:45 AM

He could pick Mother Teresa for VP and in no time the right-wing/Russian/GOP/Fox/0ANN smear machine would be calling her a slutty baby killer out to destroy freedom.

Hillary had high approval ratings (even among conservatives) when she was Secretary of State. And then she ran for President and they threw anything they could at her (Benghazi, emails, looming indictments, etc.). Just by comparison, 4 people died in Benghazi and we had what, 11 hearings, and god knows how many hours devoted to it on right wing media, but100,000 dead and counting under Trump and we're doing a great job!

Don't fall for it again, just vote blue no matter who come November.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2020 5:53 AM

Why do you guys keep wasting so many electrons over Biden's vice-presidential choice?

No one ever has chosen to vote for a presidential ticket because of who #2 in the slot is. It's meaningless.

This election will be decided by Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump, not by whoever Biden's pick is vs. Pence .

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2020 5:54 AM

AMEN R59.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2020 5:59 AM

Listening to that story in R33 is horrifying. How this woman doesn't have crippling PTSD and is a high functioning US senator is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2020 10:02 AM

R65, she has a good, loving husband who's also a veteran. I think he helped a lot. Amazing woman. Not sure about VP but really impressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote]He could pick Mother Teresa for VP and in no time the right-wing/Russian/GOP/Fox/0AN - N smear machine would be calling her a slutty baby killer out to destroy freedom.

Mother Teresa was worse than that, the 'thieving little Albanian dwarf' as Chris Hitchens once dubbed her, quite accurately.

by Anonymousreply 67May 27, 2020 8:41 AM

Duckworth and Biden wrote a nice opinion piece together last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 3, 2020 3:59 AM

I guess Tammy Duckworth would be the least polarizing since nobody knows much about her.

by Anonymousreply 69June 3, 2020 4:09 AM

Duckworth has zero chance of being the VP.

by Anonymousreply 70June 3, 2020 4:23 AM

Pity Diahnn Carroll passed away. She'd have been perfect. And if she became President her commemorative postage stamp would have been beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 71June 3, 2020 4:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 3, 2020 4:36 AM

Illinois connection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 3, 2020 4:37 AM

Better days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 3, 2020 4:38 AM

Between Barr and the current composition of the Supreme Court they would torture any and every syllable of the constitution to disqualify Duckworth on the grounds of birth location.

Hawaii wasn't even good enough for these lunatics.

However, I think she is amazing and it also happens to be great PR to have her in the conversation. Look at the percentage of people in this thread alone who learned something to apply to the critical analysis of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 75June 3, 2020 4:42 AM

I swear im not voting for him if he picks that mealy mouthed retard klobuchar..

by Anonymousreply 76June 3, 2020 4:49 AM

^^^^ Ridiculous! I would vote for Biden if he picked Sarah Palin as his VP. Trump MUST go!

by Anonymousreply 77June 3, 2020 9:49 PM

Any fool who sits out this election like they did in 2016 is no better than a MAGA cult member voting for Dump. Vote BLUE no matter who.

by Anonymousreply 78June 3, 2020 10:14 PM

Warren is the type people love to hate and diss

by Anonymousreply 79June 3, 2020 10:22 PM

What I wonder is how many people are still like r76? How many people still think they'll be fine regardless of whether or not they get their preference so they can just take their toys and go home?

by Anonymousreply 80June 3, 2020 10:24 PM

Tammy Duckworth checks all the boxes.

I knew her younger brother when I went to high school in Hawaii. Cute hapa boy, half Thai half white. Unfortunately he was straight. 😢

by Anonymousreply 81June 3, 2020 10:29 PM

It sounds like there aren’t that many being considered at this point. Klobuchar was the frontrunner and she’s out. Cortez Mastow bowed out.

I think Harris and Duckworth are the only serious candidates.

Demings has served in the House since 2017. Abrams is just a media darling. Warren is too old.

I think Duckworth is a safer choice, but I think it’ll be Harris.

by Anonymousreply 82June 3, 2020 10:50 PM

"Klobuchar was the frontrunner"

Never according to the odds makers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2020 11:45 PM

Oooh, thanks for that, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2020 12:12 AM

R83, note the use of “was”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2020 12:14 AM

Duckworth doesn't check the black box.

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2020 1:43 AM

Duckworth is awesome. But I’m just being honest here: a woman who is a double-amputee is an emotional downer, and people don’t want to deal with that right now.

by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2020 1:51 AM

Kamala Harris will be a strong Vice-President, and she’ll probably be the first female President. She’ll definitely be the nominee in 2024. If she doesn’t become President first by way of Biden becoming ill or dying.

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2020 1:53 AM

Hard to believe it’s been a year now since her “that little girl was me” moment last June.

by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2020 1:54 AM

I think Atlanta Mayor Keisha Bottoms might be getting a look at. Her leadership during the riots has been strong.

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2020 1:55 AM

Agreed R90, she has definitely raised her profile.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2020 1:57 AM

The media are demanding an African-American woman. They get what they want.

by Anonymousreply 92June 4, 2020 2:12 AM

Duckworth in Lawrence odonnell tonight.

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2020 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!