Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm thinking of tackling Bates Motel

I'm a few years late and would have five seasons to watch, but what the hell? Coronavirus has given me lots of time. Worth tuning in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2020 11:52 PM

I enjoyed it a lot at the time, though I’d say it went on about a season too long

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2020 8:17 PM

You should be aware that on set Vera Farmiga was known to roll her eyes at Freddie Highmore.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2020 8:21 PM

Worth it OP. The actors who play Norman and Norma are very good friends in real life and it shows in the way they play off of each other. Husband and I are on our second rewatch. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2020 8:21 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2020 8:23 PM

Max was gorgeous, and showed his girthy dong frequently.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2020 8:23 PM

Probably one of the most uncomfortable series I’ve ever watched. But then again I’ve never resolved my Oedipal complexes.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2020 8:25 PM

Max has certainly lead a charmed life. Born in the lap of luxury, grew up to be a handsome man. He’s on the CBS hour-long drama “Seal Team” and I watch just because I have the hots for him.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2020 8:26 PM

Does Max show his ass on this series?

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2020 8:28 PM

I loved the series & enjoyed it from start to finish.

All of the cast have great chemistry together.

Fun fact = the tall guy in the final season (was his character's name Chick or something?) ended up playing bad guy Beta on The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2020 8:35 PM

I only watched one season.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2020 8:36 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2020 8:38 PM

If you're like me, you'll realise that two good performances can't save the awful writing but you'll drag yourself to the finish line and hate yourself for it. On the bright side, if you harbour dreams of fem twinks driving straight girls and women mad with desire for four seasons straight, you are in luck

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2020 8:49 PM

I loved it. Especially the first season. It did get a little ragged in subsequent seasons. But totally worth it, I think.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2020 10:14 PM

I love Vera Farmiga in almost everything, so I guess I should give this one a go as well.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2020 10:26 PM

It's a good show, watch it

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2020 6:09 AM

Yes, you definitely should. The entire show is only 50 episodes, so basically one season of American network TV. Vera is amazing as always, and Freddie Highmore is an incredible match for her; the show excels in every scene between those two. Plus, it has the delicious Max Thieriot, and Nestor Carbonell, and Mike Vogel, playing an officer that is very reminiscent of Norma's other son. And even playing a serial killer, Freddie Highmore is adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2020 6:50 AM

The show is trash, but Vera Farmiga is worth watching in ANYTHING. She's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2020 6:54 AM

Stick with "Psycho"...

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2020 6:58 AM

It was okay, but I only hung in for the first 2 seasons.

I, too, will go back to it if I ever catch up with better stuff. I love Mike Vogel and Scream Queen Max Thieriot.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2020 7:02 AM

[quote] It's a good show

Is it a positive show?

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2020 7:15 AM

I thought it was great - definitely worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2020 9:50 AM

It wasn’t Donny & Marie, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2020 10:06 AM

I watched a little bit of it and liked it.

Is Sheriff Romero wearing guyliner? His eyes look like they're dressed in the kohl some middle eastern men apply.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2020 3:04 PM

R23, I think that’s his natural eye shading. I’ve seen him in other roles.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2020 3:15 PM

It's pure trash, let's be honest here, but is moderately entertaining and well worth watching for Max Thieriot alone.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2020 3:17 PM

Are there any white actors with yellow skin on the show?

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2020 3:19 PM

Bates is about a 7/10. Where its great, you can tell the effort and the experience is sublime. Everywhere else is lower key and kinda schlocky, especially to pad out episode length and numbers. I see-sawed from places of 'this is so crazy and I want more' to 'this acting and writing is shit'. Would have been much more appropriate for miniseasons.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2020 3:43 PM

Musty odor. Ran out of toilet paper. Dated furnishings. Owner is creepy. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2020 4:53 PM

If you like things like "Ozark" you'll prob like Bates Motel. I thought it was good and had some interesting plot twists.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2020 5:06 PM

[quote] It's pure trash, let's be honest here, but is moderately entertaining and well worth watching for Max Thieriot alone.

No it’s not and he’s not.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2020 6:09 PM

Max ThieriTHOT is hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2020 6:13 PM

I found Norman's character incredibly annoying, especially in the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2020 8:38 AM

As others have said, when it's centered on the Norma/Norman relationship, it's firing on all cylinders. The fact that Farmiga never got an Emmy is a travesty. Season 4 and 5 are a must. The earlier years are good, but there's a lot of subplots (some work, some don't).

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2020 8:47 AM

Yes, there are definitely certain subplots (mostly concerning Max's character, sadly) that are superfluous and go nowhere. But the show is not a huge time commitment, only 10 per season.

Nestor Carbonell directed 3 episodes (Season 3 Ep 5, "The Deal," Season 4 Ep 7, "There's No Place Like Home," and Season 5 Ep 5, "Dreams Die First"), Freddie wrote 2 episodes (Season 4 Ep 8, "Unfaithful," and Season 5 Ep 7, "Inseparable) and directed one (Season 5 Ep 8, "The Body"), while Max directed an episode (Season 5 Ep 4, "Hidden").

Nestor also directed Freddie in The Good Doctor for 2 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2020 9:46 AM

I really enjoyed it. It's not high art but when it's good it's very good.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2020 9:50 AM

I loved it as well. In spite of the dreadful Olivia Cooke I kept watching.

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2020 2:03 PM

Really good the first two seasons. The final season is a bit tedious.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2020 2:19 PM

I would highly recommend it. I watched all 5 seasons.

Now, I want to watch it all again, but cannot find out where it can be streamed.

I am outside the USA and blocked from Netflix USA, even with using the Smart DNS of Unlocator.

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2020 2:40 PM

Here's an example of ridiculous writing. When Norma storms out to Portland, Norman has an over the top meltdown because he thinks she's never coming back. I thought that whole plotline was so contrived.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2020 7:36 PM

R39 the whole point is that they have a deeply unhealthy relationship.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2020 3:42 AM

R40: I get that, but if they are so close, don't you think Norman would know that his mom isn't really leaving him for good after one stupid fight?

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2020 4:41 AM

R40 I once had a friend who overdosed on pills because her boyfriend went to work. To work. Sick people aren't the most rational.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2020 6:03 AM

r38 Where are you?

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2020 6:35 AM

I liked this show, but I'm of the opinion that it could have been chopped down to three seasons by simply eliminating the long, lingering looks each character gives at the end of a scene.

by Anonymousreply 44April 25, 2020 11:08 PM

Vera Farmiga’s Norma is an extraordinary character study, and her performance makes Norman Bates as a character mostly make sense.

The show lost me ultimately with the evil drug trade plot. A series based on a movie with a barely-there plot had to come up with something as a plot to tie everything together, but to me, the writers made a terrible decision with the whole Reefer Madness angle. Of all things they could have come up with.

by Anonymousreply 45April 25, 2020 11:17 PM

I loved it when Norman goes to the gay bar as Norma and gets fucked by guys then runs into them in the daytime and cannot remember a thing.

by Anonymousreply 46April 25, 2020 11:28 PM

R45 I think they were going the Twin Peaks vibe: "this is a town full of secrets"

But only the Bates family is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2020 12:22 AM

I just started watching it on Netflix, and because I'm disconnecting Netflix at the end of the month, I have to watch about three episodes per day. The first season was awesome. They have taken liberties with the characters and setting, but they smartly decided to completely own the set design from the 1960 movie. Excellent decision to keep fans of the movie engaged. I'm in the second season now and starting lose some of my interest, but I have heard that the fourth and fifth seasons are the best, so I'm going to keep going. The lead actors are consistently great.

This show moves at steady pace and keeps the suspense going. It feels similar to Twin Peaks, but it's so much better.

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2020 12:21 AM

I agree that it went on a season or two too long (like most series) buy enjoyed the majority of it. I thought Vera was amazing (isn’t she always?) and the twist on Janet Leigh’s character was unexpected and wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2020 12:31 AM

Three seasons too long for me.

Like horror and terror films, it starts well but doesn't know how to finish. A two season story could have been quite good. At some point I accidentally skipped far ahead and then made it a bit if a habit, skipping an occasional episode without loss.

I enjoyed it but would have enjoyed it more had it been a much tighter story

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2020 12:32 AM

It's worth it just to see Nestor Carbinell's manscara. He must apply it with a butter knife.

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2020 12:47 AM

Freddie Highmore is absolutely adorable and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2020 1:10 AM

Vera is good in absolutely everything, including "The Orphan."

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2020 1:46 AM

Nestor is not wearing makeup - he has a condition called Blatt Distichiasis, when people are born with two sets of eyelashes so it looks like eyeliner. i read about this a couple years ago when i was watching this show and i kept wondering why the makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2020 2:52 AM

Vera Farmiga's Norma is crazy as fuck, and it's fabulous. I love her wardrobe in this show. They dress her like a 1950s housewife and it looks great on her.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2020 3:02 AM

Max Thieriot has roided or just bodybuilt himself up too far now that he’s playing a Navy SEAL, but he was hot as balls on this show, even though much of his screen time is spent in unremarkable subplots.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2020 5:31 AM

Yeah, he has the worst stories on Bates Motel.

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2020 1:02 AM

R48 here again. I've gotten through Season 2 and started Season 3. It's still really good, but I am losing interest in the side plots. I guess because this show is considered horror, it couldn't be considered a serious contender for awards? Vera Farmiga should have earned at least multiple Emmy nominations; she is fascinating to watch in every single scene.

One thing that a binge watcher would notice more than someone who tuned in week to week is the very high kill count. It does test plausibility that so many murders could occur in this "small town" in such a short amount of time without getting attention from the FBI. It's also interesting that Dylan kills just as many people as Norman does, but he is not believed to be dangerous because he's not insane.

by Anonymousreply 58May 20, 2020 5:36 PM

OP - you should enjoy a series, not start it like its a chore.

by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2020 5:55 PM

Never cared for the ending. Norman should've lived and it just before cutting to black, Marion Crane should've showed up to check in.

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2020 5:58 PM

The show wasn’t a prequel to the movie, it was a reinvention of the whole Norman Bates myth. It needed to have its own ending.

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2020 7:37 AM

Should I watch this or AHS?

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2020 6:48 PM

They both have their pluses and minuses, but I'd say Bates Motel is a more worthwhile show and doesn't go off the rails as often as AHS. The quality of AHS differs from season to season and, most of the time, episode to episode.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2020 8:13 PM

The non Norman/Norma stories are all dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2020 12:46 AM

R48 here again. I just finished watching the last episode, and I loved the entire series.

It has great acting, very good writing and story construction, and excellent production values. I think any fans of Hitchcock's Psycho would love this series. And give Vera Farmiga all the awards! She's amazing. My favorite parts were the dinner party during Season 3 ("The Last Supper") when all six of the main characters are together in one place, and the several episodes at the end of Season 4 when Norma and Alex are married and Norman is away. When you know that the story is working as tragedy, these high points are poignant and bittersweet. I was also surprised and pleased by the moments of laugh out loud comedy, particularly during Seasons 4 and 5.

If there are any weak spots, it's that the series goes on a bit long. They took 50 episodes to tell a story that could have been done in 30 to 35. Seasons 2 and 3 are uneven and have the weakest episodes. But overall I would recommend it and may watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2020 2:03 AM

The wardrobe and set decoration are fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2020 11:29 PM

Who knew Vera had that AMAZING singing voice?! Her “Maybe This Time” was phenomenal. I’d love to see her in a musical. Weirdly, I think she’d be a great Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd.

And just because it cannot be said enough, Max Thierot is ridiculously hot on this show. Ridiculously.

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2020 11:40 PM

I liked it......

by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2020 11:42 PM

I'd rather tackle Max Thieriot.

by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2020 11:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!