Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CACTUS FLOWER (1969)

Any fans? Just watched it today as part of my Ingrid Bergman marathon and thought it was hilarious and very charming. Goldie Hawn won an Oscar for her performance in it

[quote]Distraught when her middle-aged lover breaks a date with her, 21-year-old Toni Simmons attempts suicide. Impressed by her action, her lover, dentist Julian Winston reconsiders marrying Toni, but he worries about her insistence on honesty. Having fabricated a wife and three children, Julian readily accepts when his devoted nurse, Stephanie, who has secretly loved Julian for years, offers to act as his wife and demand a divorce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10505/24/2020

Quentin Tarantino is a fan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104/10/2020

I only recently saw it a year or two ago, but found it very cute and charming.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2020

Would it have worked on the big screen with Betty?

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2020

They should have cast someone other than Matthau. The idea of a pretty young thing like Goldie Hawn and an attractive thirty or forty something woman that Ingrid Bergman played both lusting after a hideous, unpleasant troll like Walter Matthau is creepy, far-fetched and ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2020

What was the deal with Matthau's wife? Fan of Miss Havisham?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504/10/2020

Groovy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 604/10/2020

According to Glenn Close, Carol Matthau's ghastly white makeup was her inspiration for Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2020

Lovely movie, but I agree with R4, someone more attractive than Matthau should have been cast as the male lead.

I just can't think who should have been cast, Rock Hudson? He was about 45 then.

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2020

James Garner!

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2020

Walter Matthau wasn’t conventionally handsome, but I see why women would have found him sexy then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2020

Rod Taylor might have been a good choice too. The guy is basically a charming rogue who can't commit to a relationship, so it needed to played by someone with charisma like Hudson, Garner or Taylor. Matthau is just gross on every level.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2020

What about Connery?

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2020

Connery would have been a good choice as long as he could pull off light comedy.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2020

Goldie Hawn didn't think she was going to win the Oscar, and decided to stay in London, instead of flying in for the ceremonies

She didn't even watch the ceremonies and went to bed, only to be awaken in the middle of the night by a phone call with someone screaming on the end saying

"YOU GOT IT"

Goldie thought "Got what?"

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2020

Did any of our eldergays see Miss Bacall in the play on Broadway? How was she? Why didn't she get to do the movie version?

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2020

[Quote] Why didn't she get to do the movie version?

Washed up.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2020

A temporary wife

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2020

I presume Bacall in the Bergman role was much like her turn in Designing Woman.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2020

A remake would be fun. And I'm not usually a fan of remakes.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2020

The premise wouldn't work in the present day.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2020

R20 Why not?

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2020

We live in the age of the fuckboi. The expectation of marriage by a certain age has largely dissipated, or at least the stigma of being single has lessened so greatly. A man pretending to be married to the woman he's fucking would hold no appeal, even as a zany plot device, to today's audiences.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2020

Loved it! One of the first movies I saw on tee-vee as a young queer boy. I really liked Bergman in it but Bacall woulda nailed it to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2020

Bacall would have played it like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2020

Did they already remake it with Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler about a decade ago? I can't remember the name of it. It sounded too generic.

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2020

How disappointing. I thought you were talking about real cactus flowers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2020

Or at least the patter OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2020

R22, a remake could still work, there are still plenty of young women out there who want to get married and expect their men to follow their idea of a marriage timeline. And there are still plenty of straight men who want to make absolutely sure that this stay "no strings attached".

Starring Chris Pratt and Amy Adams... and hopefully not Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2020

A remake set in America in the current day would make little sense because American society is now very familiar with and used to the man child and also to otherwise stable men who have a fear of commitment.

Therefore Dr. Winston wouldn't need to pretend to be already married in order to avoid commiting to a steady relationship with Toni. It might work if Julian is a bisexual having a fling with Tony and lies about being married to a woman to prevent the fling from turning into anything more serious.

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2020

Bacall was deeply disappointed in not getting the film, but Applause soon came along which brought her even greater success on Broadway and a Tony Award. She didn't blame Bergman for her not getting the "Cactus Flower" film. A few years later, they made "Murder on the Orient Express" together.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2020

Yes, a modern remake would work, if the dentist character were changed to someone seriously rich, and the nurse character was changed to his indispensable PA. Then all the women he dated would be keen to marry him!

And sadly, this is one story that wouldn't work as a gay remake.

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2020

Matthau was perfect as the archetype of a conservative man women desired, because he could take care of them financially and raise their social profile, being the wife of a doctor. He married a presentable woman and got himself a younger mistress.

Women lusting after men was considered demeaning (treating men like sex objects) and unladylike. Except when the men were singers (Elvis, The Beatles).

[quote] And sadly, this is one story that wouldn't work as a gay remake.

It would work as a satire where gays would fight over a right wing douche, like Peter Thiel or Aaron Schock, type of character. With a happy ending where the conservative falls for a scam artist who steals all his money and humiliates him.

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2020

There is indeed a modern-day remake with Adam Sandler in the Matthau role. The Ingrid Bergman role is played by Jennifer Aniston (gasp!). It's called Just Go With It (2011). Whether it works or not is up to the viewer.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2020

James Garner would have been perfect in the role. Then I would have liked it, instead of having the film be the lowest ranking in my own Ingrid Bergman-marathon.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2020

So, about that Ingrid Bergman marathon. Which one is your favourite? Mine is Anastasia, I could watch it a dozen times and not get tired of it. Plus, Yul Brynner!!

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2020

French theatre revival a few years back. The woman playing the dentist's secretary is a comedy star in France. The actor playing the dentist has also been a very big name in recent years. He's quite unusual.

Of course the original play is French (1964).

If you look at it as French, it all makes sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2020

The premise of this movie never made much sense to me. It implies a certain mindset, that I evidently don't have. Plus, two women fighting over Walter Matthau... That's stretching it a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2020

Where was this Tarantino discussion from and what other movies did he introduce?

by Anonymousreply 3804/11/2020

There was an Off Broadway revival in 2011 with Maxwell Caufield that was...um...not very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3904/11/2020

R35 Anastasia was fantastic. Autumn Sonata (Bergman squared!), Stromboli and Gaslight are my among my new found favorites.

She really had the range for comedy as well - I was surprised by how funny she was in Cactus Flower, she stole every scene she was in without overdoing it.

Did she do any more comedies? I suppose Murder on the Orient Express would count as a comedic performance as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4004/11/2020

Yes, Murder on the Orient Express definitely counts as comedy.

You have excellent taste! Those are among my favourite too.

Others that you might like:

The Visit for very dark comedy.

The segment she did with Rossellini for Siamo Donne is very funny. It's sort of a light-hearted documentary short.

I love Europa 51. There's no other film like it in her filmography. There are several versions of it and the one I saw is I believe the international version, found in the Criterion release.

I really like her Ivy Peterson in Dr. Jekyll et Mr. Hyde. She had a very good singing voice, too (as in Gaslight).

There are a few others that I like too, in Swedish and in French.

by Anonymousreply 4104/11/2020

Europa 51 is very depressing drama. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde... Well, you know. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

by Anonymousreply 4204/11/2020

R38 Tarantino curated a collection for SBS World Movies of American '60s films that inspired Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

He presented Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Cactus Flower, Easy Rider, Model Shop, Getting Straight, The Wrecking Crew, Hammerhead, Gunman’s Walk and Arizona Raiders. There are clips on Youtube of the discussions as in R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4304/11/2020

R41 R42 Thank you! I'm putting those at the top of my list right now. Goodbye Again with Anthony Perkins was quite good too, albeit depressing.

Tomorrow I'm either watching For Whom the Bell Tolls or A Woman's Face - I've only seen the American remake with Joan Crawford but remember really liking it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4404/11/2020

[quote]There was an Off Broadway revival in 2011 with Maxwell Caufield that was...um...not very good.

Yes, but it's much easier to swallow the idea of women fighting over Maxwell Caulfield.

by Anonymousreply 4504/11/2020

R41, Ingrid starred in a very good film with Anthony Quinn in the early 1970s, "A Walk in the Spring Rain", which is never shown on cable or movie channels.

by Anonymousreply 4604/11/2020

A Walk in the Spring Rain is one of the very few movies with Ingrid that I have not seen... Because it is never shown.

Out of her early Swedish movies, Munkbrogreven is a must because it's her first. It's very early talkie and completely different to what we see today. She plays the ingenue in an ensemble village-feel comedy (in the heart of Stockholm, Gamla stan the way it used to be a hundred years ago). Juninatten might be my favourite, she plays a complex character in a complex set of situations - again, more of an ensemble drama. Her character is important but the movie isn't built around her. Dollar is a champagne couples comedy with a touch of melancholy to it. The Swedish characters she played tended to have a lot more range than what she did 1939-1948.

Elena et les hommes (Jean Renoir) has a very similar feel to Les Grandes Manoeuvres (René Clair). It's a romantic comedy and Ingrid is very attractive in it. Shot right before Anastasia. It's wonderful to be sharing this with you! As you may have guessed, Ingrid Bergman is my favourite actress.

by Anonymousreply 4704/11/2020

R47 Wow, thanks again for the recommendations! Ingrid was a wonderful actress who gave consistently great performances throughout her career. I’ve liked her since I saw Casablanca and Spellbound as a young kid, it’s fun to finally go through her impressive body of work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4804/11/2020

R47 Here's A Walk in the Spring Rain as a download if you use torrents (download something like uTorrent to your computer - then just click download followed by the magnet symbol and it opens in uTorrent). It's very good Blu-ray quality, just under 2 GB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4904/11/2020

OMG, Thank You! I'll be watching that. WOW.

by Anonymousreply 5004/11/2020

Just Go With It is pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 5104/11/2020

I didn’t know the made champagne in Idaho!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5204/11/2020

R11 Rod Taylor would have been perfect. I can actually see him as a playboy.

by Anonymousreply 5304/11/2020

I always love a dancing Goldie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5404/11/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5504/13/2020

Quinn was in The Visit (mentioned n the list above) with Bergman too. She is excellent, and it's well directed and photographed, but still stagebound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5604/13/2020

R56 The Visit is a fantastic film, probably one of Ingrid's best performances. It's very dark and Kafkaesque with a touch of comedy, too bad it isn't talked about more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5704/14/2020

Jack Westen never appeared in a bad movie.

Great character actor

Who played his role in the Adam Sandler remake?

by Anonymousreply 5804/14/2020

Good point, R58 - and that's including Dirty Dancing.

by Anonymousreply 5904/14/2020

[quote]Jack Westen never appeared in a bad movie.

You mean Jack "Can't Stop the Music", "Gator", "Short Circuit 2" "Ishtar" Weston? That Jack Weston?

by Anonymousreply 6004/14/2020

r60=Marge Redmond

by Anonymousreply 6104/14/2020

Goldie alone saved the movie from being a crashing bore, and she deserved her controversial Oscar for that reason. Walter Matthau and Ingrid Bergman were miscast and they looked awful, especially Bergman, who looked heavy and more matronly than she did 10 years later. And any comedy with the grossly unappealing Jack Weston in a featured role was bound to be trouble. I guess they cast Weston since he was one of the few actors uglier than Matthau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6204/14/2020

"Cactus Flower" was Ingrid's first made in Hollywood movie since the Rossellini scandal. Up to then, all of her movies since the scandal had been made elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 6304/14/2020

R62 You're wrong. Ingrid owns this movie, she's the "Cactus Flower" after all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6404/14/2020

[quote]Walter Matthau and Ingrid Bergman were miscast

What are you talking about? The play starred Barry Nelson and Lauren Bacall, complete contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 6504/14/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6604/14/2020

There was a time when he might have seemed attractive enough. I think no one thinks of him now because all we remember of him is the grumpy old slobs he's played (well, I might add).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6704/14/2020

Matthau was miscast, Bergman was not. She's the "flower" of the title, and she did a brilliant job of blossoming before our eyes, transforming from dowdy to radiant! Which yes, requires looking dowdy at first.

Matthau was really miscast, because you just can't believe that Goldie's character would take a serious interest in him. I mean, she's a free-spirited and sexy young woman, and he's a guy who has nothing to offer a woman except the money to raise a family in a nice house in the suburbs. And Goldie's girl character doesn't seem to be interested in that, it's hard to believe the two of them have any interest in each other at all. That's a problem in the script, but it could have been fixed by casting someone much more attractive as the dentist.

by Anonymousreply 6804/14/2020

R68, Matthau was as miscast as Jimmy Stewart was in "Rear Window".

by Anonymousreply 6904/14/2020

Why did the cast Matthau? Did they have anyone else in consideration? It's like they deliberately went with the worst possible actor for the part.

by Anonymousreply 7004/15/2020

Matthau had come off "The Odd Couple," hadn't he? I think some of you are thinking too much with your unimpressed dicks...

by Anonymousreply 7104/15/2020

Sometimes actors who lack good looks can win you over with their charm. The British are especially good at this.

Matthau had no charm.

by Anonymousreply 7204/15/2020

Have you seen "Charley Varrick" (sp?). I've never found Matthau sexy but he's believably sexual. And that's more important than floating everyone's boat.

by Anonymousreply 7304/15/2020

There's someone on this thread repeatedly trying to present the gross Walter Matthau as someone attractive or sexy.

by Anonymousreply 7404/15/2020

Goldie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7504/17/2020

Goldie's nosejob was pretty damn good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7604/17/2020

I’ve always liked “Cactus Flower”. Ingrid Bergman is a favorite of mine, and she was wonderful in the film. Goldie Hawn was delightful in the role played on Broadway by Brenda Vaccaro, but still believe Catherine Burns in “Last Summer” deserved the Oscar that year. And the Quincy Jones score is great!

by Anonymousreply 7704/17/2020

Did Goldie and Ingrid enjoy working together? Their chemistry was great in the movie

Goldie later worked with Isabella Rossellini (Ingrid’s daughter, obviously) in Death Becomes Her

by Anonymousreply 7804/17/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7904/17/2020

[quote]Did she do any more comedies?

"Indiscreet," a romantic comedy with Cary Grant.

by Anonymousreply 8004/17/2020

I didn't realize she had appeared in so few comedies. She is very funny in "Murder on the Orient Express", although it's not a comedy. And she appeared on Broadway in Shaw's comedy, "Captain Brassbound's Conversion". Is that all?

by Anonymousreply 8104/17/2020

In "Indiscreet", Cary Grant played a man who, coincidentally, also pretended to be married to discourage his girlfriends from getting too attached.

by Anonymousreply 8204/17/2020

Her first movie, Munkbrogreven, was a comedy. Her last movie in Sweden, Dollar, was also a comedy. In fact, she excelled at both comedy and drama, and she enjoyed playing both. Hollywood typecast her in the 1940s on the basis of a hit she had in Sweden, Intermezzo, a romantic melodrama which was remade in America using the same title. Elena et les hommes, shot in France in 1955, was again a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 8304/18/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8404/18/2020

I'd like to see a remake - with modern alterations obviously

by Anonymousreply 8504/29/2020

R5 holy shit that's so bizarre!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8604/29/2020

oh my god!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8704/29/2020

Matthau's son got a little nosejob. Was he an actor too?

by Anonymousreply 8804/29/2020

Carol Saroyan Matthau always wore white makeup. She was besties with Gloria Vanderbilt.

by Anonymousreply 8904/29/2020

Why did she wear her makeup like that?

by Anonymousreply 9004/29/2020

oy vey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9104/29/2020

I guess if you're not best pleased to be a star's "plus one," you find ways to grab attention...

by Anonymousreply 9204/29/2020

"Walt, where'd you put my sift?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9304/29/2020

The make up artist of this movie must have been persuasive. Or the producer was...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9404/29/2020

When Matthau won his Oscar in 1967, his wife was next to him looking like a ghost. At the Oscars no less. I guess it was the style of certain women in the 60s and 70s to do this, but I’ve never seen it on anyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9504/29/2020

absolutely bizarre

by Anonymousreply 9604/29/2020

In one of the bar scenes in CF, there is a female extra wearing a dress with a monarch butterfly print. Not small butterflies, but a bright orange dress with black and white, like an animal print but very large monarch butterflies instead. It's so gorgeous, I always rewind and pause to get a good look at it. I wish i could find a picture of it, I am obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 9704/29/2020

Are you a drag queen?

by Anonymousreply 9804/29/2020

Charlie Matthau played Glenda Jackson's son in House Calls. Walter (whose character was named Charley) played her doctor/boyfriend, and he made a meta joke when he met her son, something like "He looks just like you". He still acts a bit.

by Anonymousreply 9904/29/2020

That Oscar clip at R95 is a hoot, because Carol Matthau truly looks like a ghostly apparition sitting in the audience. She was lifelong dear friends with Gloria Vanderbilt and Oona Chaplin, and I’ve seen photos of her in the 1940s and 1950s where she was pretty. I wonder when and WHY she chose that bizarre makeup look!

by Anonymousreply 10004/30/2020

[quote] I wonder when and WHY she chose that bizarre makeup look!

I wonder when and WHY Matthau liked that bizarre makeup look!

by Anonymousreply 10104/30/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10205/24/2020

Designer Mary McFadden did the same look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10305/24/2020

[quote]Jack Westen never appeared in a bad movie.

Maybe not, but Jack Weston and Peggy Cass played the parents of chimpanzees in the TV sitcom "The Hathaways."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10405/24/2020

R104, Did Peggy have them by Cesarean?

by Anonymousreply 10505/24/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!