Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

10,000 Americans dead from COVID-19 in one week

Not counting those who died at home and/or were never tested.

What do all of you morons who were spewing “the flu is just as bad” have to say now?

by Anonymousreply 118December 30, 2020 1:01 AM

Wait until the numbers start coming in from the southern red states...like Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and all the other states who refused to do anything until it was too late...its going to be gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2020 1:40 AM

I’m in NY and have been home for a month. If the rest of the country had done the same thing we all would have been out last week and over the worst. It is going to take years for the economy to recover.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote]What do all of you morons who were spewing “the flu is just as bad” have to say now?

I say we need more guns!

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote]I’m in NY and have been home for a month. If the rest of the country had done the same thing we all would have been out last week and over the worst.

Uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2020 1:51 AM

I can’t believe that Soros guy can afford so many crisis actors.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2020 1:53 AM

Yeah, and this was with precautions like social distancing and lockdowns (although some places were slow to start). Imagine the devastation if we had treated this like the flu and went about our regular business.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2020 2:00 AM

He colludes with Saul Alinsky!

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2020 2:04 AM

I wonder how many killers are getting away with murder in plain sight? It's not like the medical examiners are performing autopsies as usual.

Is there a homicide detective in the house?

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2020 2:04 AM

The governor of Alabama refuses to do anything.

They should tear his arms and legs off.

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2020 2:05 AM

R9 her ^^^^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2020 2:07 AM

[quote] What do all of you morons who were spewing “the flu is just as bad” have to say now?

Does your insufferable smugness contribute anything to the situation, OP, or is it just a way for you to feel a little bit less like a nothing for a few minutes?

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2020 2:07 AM

OP’s smugness is perfectly sufferable, R11, and I support him,

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2020 2:14 AM

R11 is apparently once agreed with Donald Trump’s March 9 statement that coronavirus is “like the flu.”

R11, like Trump, is stupid.

Don’t be like R11.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2020 2:20 AM

No, dickhead, I just don't see what good it does to stand up and go- SEE, I WAS RIGHT! Is it going to bring back one person who suffered and died? That's what's important. You clueless scumbags. Especially you, Pierre. You're a cancer on DL.

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2020 2:23 AM

R11, die, die now

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2020 2:27 AM

But what about the wall?

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2020 2:28 AM

COVID-19 can very much manifest like a bad flu for a lot of people—but not all of them. That's the problem. You can be 100% asymptomatic and still have contracted it, which is the scary part—people with no symptoms will have no idea they have it, and can spread it to others who are susceptible to more extreme bodily responses. I feel lucky that I live in a state that put a social distancing and a stay-at-home order in place early on. Our death and case numbers here are around the bottom 20th percentile of all the states.

I fear that many of the Southern and southeastern states whose governments were not proactive about this/wrote it off as a media conspiracy will see huge much larger contraction numbers in the next month. Texas, for example, has a stay-at-home order as of this week, but they waited too long IMO and the rising number of cases there reflects that.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2020 2:31 AM

Wait I thought the projected fatalities went down from 200,000 by August 4th to 60,000 in the US, based on the Murray model. New data came in from Italy based on their peak.

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2020 2:41 AM

Plus no one knows the long term side effects of this virus which for someone who lived through the early days of HIV and AIDS is terrifying. We also don’t know if you can get reinfected. Signs in South Korea show that people who tested positive and recovered got it again.

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2020 2:41 AM

R19, but that could be that the test they showed they cleared the virus was faulty

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2020 2:48 AM

No one knows yet

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2020 2:48 AM

10,000 out of a population of 350,000,000. That's .000028% of the population. Just keep that perspective in mind.

by Anonymousreply 22April 9, 2020 2:53 AM

According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States FROM ALL CAUSES.

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2020 2:55 AM

Where's your messiah NOW?

by Anonymousreply 24April 9, 2020 2:57 AM

Oh look, it’s the “it’s just the flu guy” again at R22

by Anonymousreply 25April 9, 2020 3:01 AM

But it is just a flu. Same death rate of 0.2% as seasonal flu and both are coronavirii. Only difference is the R0.

by Anonymousreply 26April 9, 2020 3:03 AM

R26. It’s just getting started. Report back in 3 months.

by Anonymousreply 27April 9, 2020 3:05 AM

I agree it's not the flu, but the death rate will go WAY down by the end of the year. Or, more accurately, the percentage who die...

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2020 3:06 AM

R26

You can keep saying only .2% death rate all you want, but that doesn’t make it true. But you know that. Too bad you’re not part of that .2%.

by Anonymousreply 29April 9, 2020 3:07 AM

You’re being a cunt, R14, a humorless cunt; and you’re calling someone else insufferable?

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2020 3:10 AM

well, worldwide it's over 5% and US it's over 3%, and that's of those diagnosed. Of course we don't have accurate counts on either. Perhaps R26 was saying .2% of the population at large.

by Anonymousreply 31April 9, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote] You’re being a cunt, [R14], a humorless cunt; and you’re calling someone else insufferable?

No, fuckface, I'm telling some asshole who thinks crowing "I TOLD YOU SO" matters when the world is going to shit. Yeah, THAT was the important takeaway from all this. That's gonna help.

But you're a piece of garbage anyway, Pierre, so why would you understand?

by Anonymousreply 32April 9, 2020 3:13 AM

R32, I have a perfectly fine face, and for the love of God, go for a walk outside, will ya? Or breakout the Xanax, or something!

by Anonymousreply 33April 9, 2020 3:22 AM

I still wonder if I had it when I came back from a week of traveling to Minneapolis on March 2-4 and Atlanta March 6-8 - everything blew up the next week in terms of government response. Of course, I'm sure a ton of people are wondering if they had it.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2020 3:27 AM

When is Trump and his family going to get their karma? Along with fox news and and Republicans who said or did nothing to help the American people with this coming pandemic they knew was coming?

I am sick behind is happening in this country at the moment. I really hate this. I hope Trump and his family pay for all of this, I hope they lose all of their money and businesses. If there is a Kennedy curse, it's time it pass on to the Trump's. He's gotten away with a lot of horrible shit for decades.

May the Trump family be in for hard times in the coming future. They are an evil rotten bunch.

Trump has blood on his hands, and it'll never wash off.

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2020 3:33 AM

Yes, R34. I still haven’t heard an intelligent reason as to why we have almost no tests, from the professionals, I mean. And why didn’t we use the WHO tests until the American tests were ready? We could still be using the WHO tests now, since our own tests aren’t widely distributed. It’s fishy. Maybe we could use the WHO tests, then use our own tests just to confirm a poz WHO test?

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2020 3:35 AM

I really feel like the Trump government is trying to kill us.

I really do.

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2020 3:40 AM

Pierre, my dear, remember that thread you make about the way you act during this crisis will have everlasting ramification? Let's keep it classy in that spirit and let the monkey plays in his pit.

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2020 3:49 AM

R22 it's also worth keeping in mind for perspective's sake that approximately 52,000+ people die in the US every week (average is around 7,500 a day). The COVID cases may have increased the average, or just made up part of it now--we'll know eventually once all the numbers have been accounted for.

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2020 4:01 AM

No, R22, R39, you’re not providing perspective. You’re providing “spin”. To provide perspective, you should use the number of dead after the virus has subsided. The best case estimated by the CDC is 100,000 to 200,000. That’s the perspective of some distance from the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2020 5:08 AM

R40 Hence why I ended my post with "we'll know once all the numbers have been accounted for."

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2020 5:10 AM

Americans do love to finger-point, blame, and scapegoat. Wuflu gives them yet another excuse to degenerate into their most base and primitive.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2020 5:15 AM

Here’s Hannity calling this a “hoax” just a short while ago? Why should anyone listen to his nonsense? Start at 12:00.

R42, that’s just Trump . Not all Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2020 5:26 AM

Correct R40, and now please tell us what percentage of the population of the US is 200,000? Or even 500,000?

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2020 5:31 AM

R44, The estimate originally for Coronavirus-related deaths, if nothing was done, was up to 4%, or about 14 million people. In contrast, all of America’s war dead since the Revolution is ~1,600,000. Add-in 200,000 dead from the influenza pandemic of 1918, and it’s still under 2 million. That’s perspective.

by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2020 5:42 AM

Over 80% of the infected don't get sick at all, have minor symptoms and are therefore NEVER TESTED which makes all the doomsday fatality rates COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2020 5:44 AM

R45 The hysterial/panicked can't/don't want to hear or mentally process any kind of perspective or proportion.

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2020 5:45 AM

^^^ hysteriCal^^^

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2020 5:52 AM

Well, it's a start....

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2020 6:04 AM

You’re not offering “perspective”, r47, you’re offering “spin”. It’s like saying that, at the beginning of 2020, there were no Coronavirus deaths in the US, and somehow implying that this is relevant as to how bad this virus will get. It’s just not. That’s not perspective, it’s junk science.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2020 6:21 AM

The Republicans who run the Southern States will do their best to keep their Covid-19 related death numbers low with creative accounting. It's the social media outrage and the sharing of personal stories, of loved ones dying, that will do them in.

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2020 7:16 AM

[quote]somehow implying that this is relevant as to how bad this virus will get.

R50 needs to learn the different between "spin" and "proportion". "Spin" is the act of manipulating the particulars of an event to fit a particular agenda or desired outcome. "Proportion" is the act of using various related/similar events to place perspective/overview on a specific event.

by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2020 7:32 AM

R45 The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. CDC

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2020 8:01 AM

R52.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2020 8:10 AM

Considering the number of people in the US the number is still low.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2020 8:33 AM

Don’t be so high and mighty on behalf of your state, R2. Bikers from NY brought covid with them to the highly populated Daytona Beach biker events in mid-March. Holy shit there were thousands of bikers wandering across the main streets. It was a huge event, and police blocked traffic to let bikers wander across travel routes on foot, to the next interesting table setups along the roads. It was the first major outbreak in FL, and it was traced back to NY.

Yet, FL was the buttfux last to do anything about. That is common knowledge as well. I mean, Disneyworld and Spring Break were the last things to shut down in that redneck State.

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2020 8:33 AM

[quote]But it is just a flu. Same death rate of 0.2% as seasonal flu and both are coronavirii.

The mortality rate for COVID-19 is between 2% and 3% in different countries and locations so far; we don't know the average number yet.

For the flu it is 0.1%

The plural of coronavirus is coronaviruses.

These are all facts, r26.

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2020 8:35 AM

Am proud of my small city here in texas, super strict protocols we are taking, stores closed at 8 pm, walmarts are forcing people to wear masks and stay six feet apart while in lines, a big fuck you to that disgusting troll rump lover governer.

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2020 8:46 AM

SERIOUS question--

Do you think that COVID-19 is a natural progression of something like the flu? Not trying to be biblical or anything, but the way that it's "thinning the herd" with the majority being older people is...fucked up and Darwinian. Again, I'm not particularly religious, but it's wiping out THOUSANDS by the FUCKING day. This is prime fodder for the zealots.

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2020 9:32 AM

[quote] walmarts are forcing people to wear masks and stay six feet apart

If you've ever seen the People of Walmart site, you know why they're asking shoppers to wear masks and stay 6 feet away. It has nothing to do with COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2020 9:44 AM

I've asked everyone I know if they have ever lived through something like this pandemic. No-one has; no friends or family, no co-workers from places like Sudan, Syria, Zimbabwe or even Wuhan. The only memory that rang a bell was from my 85yo mother. Her childhood friend's mother told her about when her father had been sick with Spanish flu. The whole family were in home quarantine and, at 12 years old, she was the designated outside contact for the family. She had to wear a large white cross on her clothes to go outside if they needed anything and would walk to the corner shop with the family shopping list. She would stand outside while the grocer would put what they needed in a basket and hand it over to her. The grocer would not take cash but put it on their account.

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2020 11:19 AM

Can't believe this needs to keep being said/written, but it is the ease of transmission that makes COVID-19 so much worse than the flu. If nothing had been done, the low end estimate of infection was 60% of the US population. With (again) the low end fatality rate of 1%, US deaths would be:

US Population: 327,000,000 60% Infected: 196,200,000 1% Fatality Rate of Those Infected: 1,962,000

Now stop questioning why drastic measures were needed, unless you're a sociopath who doesn't consider the deaths of two million people as being significant.

by Anonymousreply 62April 9, 2020 11:45 AM

R62 beautifully illustrates how wild speculation + erroneous assumption + baseless extrapolation = hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 63April 9, 2020 11:51 AM

I didn't realize, R63, that you were an expert on the subject. So I looked for some supporting data for my post. Is The Lancet good enough for you?

[quote] Our estimate of the proportion of infected individuals requiring hospitalisation, when combined with likely infection attack rates (around 50–80%), show that even the most advanced health-care systems are likely to be overwhelmed.

[quote]However, after further adjusting for demography and under-ascertainment, we obtained a best estimate of the case fatality ratio in China of 1·38%

So let me adjust my post using these figures:

US population: 327,000,000

Population Infected (50%): 163,500,000

Fatality Rate (1.38%): 2,256,300

Oh, wow, looks like the experts had a potential number of deaths even higher than I had posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 9, 2020 12:07 PM

What is it with fear mongers like R64 and their penchant for ignoring qualifiers like "estimate", "probability" and "likely" (in addition to "can", "could", "may", "probable")? In addition to ignoring the most IMPORTANT statement in the whole study "During a growing epidemic, the final clinical outcome of most of the reported cases is typically [bold}unknown[/bold]".

There are no "experts" for a previously-unknown contagion, only speculators and speculation. See Lancet for details.

by Anonymousreply 65April 9, 2020 12:26 PM

[quote] R65: There are no "experts" for a previously-unknown contagion, only speculators and speculation. See Lancet for details.

R65, I suppose it depends on your definition of “expert”. Dr. Fauchi is an expert on contagious diseases. He’s an expert virologist. He’s an expert on Coronaviruses. I understand he’s an expert on statistics as it is relevant to viruses. I don’t know any reason why he wouldn’t be considered an expert on this particular virus.

Obviously there are things that are as yet unknown about this virus. One part of being a trusted expert on a subject is understanding the limits of what is known and as yet unknown. When Trump promotes one snake oil cure or another, Dr, Fauchi, as an expert, usually sets the record straight and says, “no, that’s not prove yet”. You don’t have to know everything to be considered an expert on a subject.

by Anonymousreply 66April 9, 2020 1:15 PM

[quote] R61: I've asked everyone I know if they have ever lived through something like this pandemic. No-one has...

R61, it was just a bit before my time, but my eldest siblings lived in the time of polio. It wasn’t that long ago. I can’t tell you much about what it was like, but I recall hearing about swimming pools being closed in the summer during a polio wave. There was thought to be some connection between the two.

I had a teacher with leg braces, as a result of polio. You could hear him approaching, “clunk, clunk, clunk...”, as he walked towards the classroom, so you knew when to settle down and get back to your seat. Haha.

I was born in ~1958. I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox as a child, but feel like I was in the best generation as far as protection from all the dangerous diseases. My twin did lose her hearing in one ear from mumps, though, but thankfully it was just one ear.

by Anonymousreply 67April 9, 2020 1:25 PM

R66:

F-A-U-C-I

For someone as seemingly enamored with him as you are, you’d think you’d spell his name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 68April 9, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]penchant for ignoring qualifiers like "estimate", "probability" and "likely" (in addition to "can", "could", "may", "probable")?

So you're really comparing qualifiers (estimate, probability, likely) based on scientific reviews to pull-it-out-of-your-ass guesses of can, could and may? You sound the same as those who blast "Theory of Evolution" as a guess (it's only a theory!), instead of understanding that for science to reach the stage of identifying something as a theory, it has held up to large amounts of testing and analysis. No, no one can be positive of the final impact of COVID-19, but when an analysis of the data allows for such extremes, then it is best to take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 69April 9, 2020 2:25 PM

"When is Trump and his family going to get their karma?"

How do you know they haven't been sick? There's no way they would share damaging medical info. Remember when Melania mysteriously went into the hospital for a week? And Trump's strange visit in late-November?

by Anonymousreply 70April 9, 2020 2:25 PM

R64, South Korea had a fatality rate of 0.6% and is widely believed to be the standard because of the number of tests they were able to do.

by Anonymousreply 71April 9, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote]instead of understanding that for science to reach the stage of identifying something as a theory, it has held up to large amounts of testing and analysis

And what is theory in science? The best guess that other scientists support. Until another scientist comes along with an improved theory/guess and other scientists support it.

Taking extreme guesstimates about an unknown virus is for the fear mongers. The rational look to a wider perspective and a more measured, far less alarmist view.

by Anonymousreply 72April 9, 2020 2:42 PM

Death to the Chinese Communist Party!

by Anonymousreply 73April 9, 2020 3:41 PM

This is, indeed, how governments fall. But I think the Chinese leaders have a lock on the place, no?

by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2020 3:43 PM

Now that the curve is flattening in some places thanks to social distancing, skeptics are going to seize on the smaller numbers of infections of deaths as “proof” that the experts were wrong all along. And King Donald will of course take credit, even though places like California and Ohio took those measures *despite* him, not *because* of him.

by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2020 4:01 PM

*infections AND deaths

by Anonymousreply 76April 9, 2020 4:04 PM

I've been saying the same thing on DL for about two weeks now, r75. And I've even gone as far to say that if the numbers are considerably lower than projections then Trump wins the election and it wouldn't matter who democrats ran.

by Anonymousreply 77April 9, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] Now that the curve is flattening in some places thanks to social distancing, skeptics are going to seize on the smaller numbers of infections of deaths as “proof” that the experts were wrong all along.

As the curve flattens and deaths plateau or start decreasing, idiots will claim that the battle is over and we have "beaten" the coronavirus. That message will be amplified by Trump and Fox News. There will be intense pressure to reopen businesses, and people will stop "social distancing." Anyone who continues to wear a mask or stay 6 feet away will be laughed at. People will flock to restaurants, bars, etc., and start posting selfies about how excited they are to "return to normal." Then, after a few weeks of that, deaths will start rising again, and pretty soon we'll be back to square one. Rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 78April 9, 2020 4:15 PM

[quote] R71: [R64], South Korea had a fatality rate of 0.6% and is widely believed to be the standard because of the number of tests they were able to do.

But what is Italy's fatality rate? I think I heard it was 10%. We have a lot of Italians in America. Whatever it was, was not good.

by Anonymousreply 79April 9, 2020 5:23 PM

Projected numbers or percentages of case fatality rates are only a broad estimate at this point until more testing is available and most importantly, tests for antibodies. Most scientists are leaning towards a lower CFR than what we're seeing now when data is adjusted for the infected population who had mild symptoms or were asymptomatic. Currently it's been theorized that around 80% of individuals fall under that category. Case fatality rate can also be influenced by factors relating to access to testing, healthcare models of different nations, quality of care, comorbidity prevalence among population subsets, etc....

Scientists look at mutations with main focus on how mutation might affect transmission rate and pathogenicity (ability to cause disease). The SARS-CoV-2 virus is not the influenza virus even as they belong to same coronavirus family. SARS-CoV-2 virus doesn't have the mutability of the influenza virus, confirmed by the fact that it's mutating at a rate that's 2-4 times slower than the influenza virus. Influenza viruses has segmented genomes that are individually capable of exchanging segments between each other within the infected cell. When this happens, a new strain of influenza virus is born. That is why the annual flu vaccine is a product of best predictions based upon the mutation sequencing models followed by scientists. SARS-CoV-2 lack this segmental exchange mechanism and is a slowly mutating virus to boot. Also just because a virus has mutated or exported to wider population and thus bigger outbreaks, it doesn't mean its behavior is different. For instance, mutated strains of the influenza virus basically cause the same constellation of symptoms in the majority of patients.

Data that is analyzed for interpretation now can also be subject to change once more information is known. Remember that study which claimed there were L and S types of the virus and that one type is stronger, more deadly than the other? The authors of the study claimed the L type was more aggressive due to the fact that it was the newer type and has greater percentage of viral genomes sequenced. Basically they extrapolated too much of their conclusion based upon evidence that was lacking. Many scientists have since asked for the paper to be retracted, and the authors of the study defended themselves by saying the interpretation was misunderstood.

Point of the matter is it's impossible to know the true CFR at this time mainly because of the lack of testing done at a mass level. The prevailing view among scientists is that it will be lower than the 2002-2003 SARS, with best estimate of a low of 0.5% to high of under 2%.

by Anonymousreply 80April 9, 2020 6:06 PM

Death rates of lower in East Asian countries (excluding China) with good access to healthcare and low rates of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease.

by Anonymousreply 81April 9, 2020 6:12 PM

Exactly R78: That is why I am waiting until 2 weeks AFTER Trumpet / DeBlasio say things can "open back up again".

by Anonymousreply 82April 9, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote] "Spin" is the act of manipulating the particulars of an event to fit a particular agenda or desired outcome. "

I’m sorry, this is incorrect. The definition of spin by Merriam-Webster:

“a special point of view, emphasis, or interpretation presented for the purpose of influencing opinion.”

by Anonymousreply 83April 9, 2020 6:35 PM

R82, waiting for what? To come out of your shelter? (just kidding, but still, waiting for what?)

by Anonymousreply 84April 9, 2020 6:37 PM

Chuck Todd just interviewed a doctor-researcher and the take-away, for me, is that it’s just too early to know if the virus can transmit to, and sicken people multiple times. Also too early to determine-guess at a return to work date.

by Anonymousreply 85April 9, 2020 6:41 PM

[quote] When this happens, a new strain of influenza virus is born.

Do they hand out cigars like we do?

(I’m sorry, I actually loved your post, even though I didn’t understand it and, quite frankly, it scares me. I defend with humor.)

by Anonymousreply 86April 9, 2020 7:16 PM

One scary thing is when you look at the data, so many cases aren’t resolved. Neither dead nor cured, so I assume they’re laying in a hospital hallway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 9, 2020 7:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 9, 2020 7:34 PM

R79 it's kind of a meanings number. Italy was not testing everyone initially, including people who had symptoms. For a quite a few weeks, testing was limited to only people who had symptoms and a link to China. Italy never accounted for community spread. So that 10% is likely much lower because people with mild symptoms or people who were not hospitalized were not tested and therefore not included in the number of infected.

Every country has a different way of compiling the statics too. Germany and California were not counting people who died outside of a hospital setting or cases that were suspected but not confirmed via a test.

It's hard to get a grasp on certain rates because of disparities. But SK seems to be the gold standard because of the number of tests conducted and how they counted infected and deaths.

by Anonymousreply 89April 9, 2020 8:12 PM

From r88’s article:

[quote] fuckwits who lack the common sense not to get right up behind a stranger and breathe into their ear,”

*sigh*

The things we now miss.

by Anonymousreply 90April 9, 2020 8:12 PM

Comparing South Korea, which not only tests everyone but has medical care available to everyone, is apples to oranges. People in the U.S. can’t get tested, they’re basically told to go home and stay there until they can’t breathe. There’s nothing for them until they’re dying. That is probably not even remotely the case in South Korea.

Also, the high risk patients for this disease are obese, diabetic, and old. Many more are in that category in the U.S. The whole medical system here is money based, there are a lot more people in generally bad shape because they have uncontrolled chronic conditions because care is unaffordable. Everything is unaffordable or unsupported.

In the U.S., if you want to see a nutritionist to help you lose weight, you better get out your wallet. The poor can’t afford a gym nor do they have the time in between their multiple jobs. People on food stamps live on carbs because they can’t afford anything else. Lots of people are either uninsured, or can’t afford to use their insurance because they have ridiculous deductibles. If your deductible is $7,000, you can only go to the doctor if you’re not sick and nothing needs fixing. Dental care insurance is a joke. Bad teeth lead to high inflammation in the body and sometimes heart disease.

Just look at what people have been doing. The couple that took fish tank cleaner, and ended up in the hospital (the man died). In the online community, a lot of people buy fish meds that can’t get access to antibiotics because they can’t afford a doctor. It’s easy to laugh at people like this, but they’ve been self diagnosing and self treating themselves on WebMD and online sites for years. Yes, they’re guessing one drug is the same as another with no medical training. Why? BECAUSE THEY DON’T HAVE A DOCTOR. This is so common in the U.S. nobody blinked an eye. It was just, “they’re stupid ha ha.” No one stopped to think, why didn’t these people go to a doctor? Because they can’t afford it, haven’t been able to afford it for years, are in generally poor condition as a result, and are used to making do as best they can. Doctors are for rich people, not them. And they know it and gave up on seeing real doctors. It’s out of their reach. So they go scrambling around the internet looking for something, anything.

They know they are lesser, and to Trump and his ilk, they deserve nothing. And they live in a country where nobody cares for them and their lives are worth nothing. And they know it.

Don’t even try to say they get care that’s just as good as South Korea. We know they don’t. Our nurses don’t even get PPE. Nobody here has value.

by Anonymousreply 91April 9, 2020 8:14 PM

R87 more likely convalesced at home. Most people who have it aren't retested. Those not needing hospitalization are just told to go home and don't leave it until 7 to 10 days after the cough and fever subside. I'm not sure there is adequate follow-up with people who didn't need a hospital, which is 80% of the cases.

by Anonymousreply 92April 9, 2020 8:16 PM

R91 I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. People either have the virus or they don't. Testing only confirms the numbers. Once the antibody test is available then you will see the fatality rate come down and infected rate go up because people with mild symptoms who likely were't tested will become known.

by Anonymousreply 93April 9, 2020 8:21 PM

Also, r91, NYC does have free basic healthcare available to every NYer and they have done an excellent job with testing yet they are the epicenter.

Italy, Spain and France are seeing more deaths and cases per capita and yet they have socialized medicine.

by Anonymousreply 94April 9, 2020 8:23 PM

R94, the point is, if people are in poor condition before the Coronavirus, there’s a much higher chance they’re going to die. Assuming a sickly population is going to have the same mortality rate as a much healthier population is unreasonable. A lot of people in the U.S., especially the poor, were walking around with a target on their backs long before this.

This is where Americans realize just how fucked up things really are here. A lot of people are arrogantly thinking, “we’re going to do just as well as other countries.” No, we’re not. Because we’re not starting out where they are.

And New York is far from the average. If it takes hold in red states, Death is going to come with a scythe.

by Anonymousreply 95April 9, 2020 8:29 PM

R95, but we are doing well compared to Italy, France, Spain, China (I don't believe their numbers) and quite a few European countries. In fact, per capita we are in par with Germany. Seriously, you have no point.

by Anonymousreply 96April 9, 2020 9:11 PM

[quote]Same death rate of 0.2% as seasonal flu and both are coronavirii.

No, it ISN'T, you idiot. U.S. mortality rate at present is at 3.5% that's more than seventeen times the death rate of influenza,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 9, 2020 9:23 PM

The Republican Governor in Georgia apparently sold some corona-related stock. That was revealed and her support collapsed. Chuck Todd just mentioned, just now.

by Anonymousreply 98April 9, 2020 10:21 PM

R98

Senator, not governor.

by Anonymousreply 99April 9, 2020 10:23 PM

Even better, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100April 9, 2020 10:30 PM

It’s just the flu. Stop spewing lies. I am a multiple board-certified Nobel Prize-winning medical doctor and also close (VERY close) personal friends with Mike Pence!

by Anonymousreply 101April 9, 2020 11:08 PM

Can we even shut down those wet markets? Fucking savages,

by Anonymousreply 102April 10, 2020 9:55 AM

Flu? Right.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 10, 2020 10:03 AM

I do not understand who is being buried out there?

r103

homeless?

by Anonymousreply 104April 10, 2020 10:08 AM

People who have no next of kin available and people whose families can't afford funerals, R104. It's been all over the news.

by Anonymousreply 105April 10, 2020 10:32 AM

The total death rate is 16,000 and that is highly sus. And certainly 10,000 didn't die in one week. On April 3rd the death count was 9,000.

Remember they are now counting people with heart attacks who test positive for the virus as a coronavirus death. This kind of sloppy statistic have to be changed and will be revised later on.

by Anonymousreply 106April 10, 2020 2:23 PM

I’m sort of inclined to agree with you, r106.

Here’s a great example:

Headline blares: Charlotte Figi, the girl who inspired the CBD movement, has died of coronavirus-related complications at 13

Further down we read:

“Charlotte had recently been hospitalized due to pneumonia, breathing problems and seizures. She was treated as a likely case of Covid-19, her mother, Paige Figi, said Wednesday, [bold]although she tested negative for the virus[/bold]."

by Anonymousreply 107April 10, 2020 2:29 PM

It would be more fun if we had a live tote board and cameos by all the stars! Get creative, American media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 10, 2020 2:59 PM

One of every 1000 people in the US has died of covid

by Anonymousreply 109December 29, 2020 9:48 AM

Dead with or dead from? There is a difference.

Also average age of death?

by Anonymousreply 110December 29, 2020 10:19 AM

I got out the ol' calculator and it's actually 1 out of every 979 Americans have died of COVID as of this morning.

After the fiasco of the holidays we'll probably top out at 1 out of every 500 or so before it starts turning around.

by Anonymousreply 111December 29, 2020 10:37 AM

Sometimes people die months after they’ve beaten the virus, because their organs (lungs in particular) have become seriously damaged.

by Anonymousreply 112December 29, 2020 10:57 AM

Why don’t you tell us r10. Those are the accepted statistics. If you beg to differ, we are all ears.

Citations from respectable sources, please

by Anonymousreply 113December 29, 2020 11:03 AM

They are obese and reckless.

by Anonymousreply 114December 29, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote]Remember they are now counting people with heart attacks who test positive for the virus as a coronavirus death. This kind of sloppy statistic have to be changed and will be revised later on.

Is it really sloppy? Would that person have had a heart attack without the virus, given how it affects some people's system?

Your dismissal reminds me of the 1980s when a number of PWAs didn't die of AIDS; they died of "pneumonia."

by Anonymousreply 115December 29, 2020 5:44 PM

Rounding the corner 🤡

by Anonymousreply 116December 29, 2020 5:48 PM

What does it matter, r110?

Dead is dead.

by Anonymousreply 117December 29, 2020 10:06 PM

R111 its an outrage.

The faster spreading variant is already here.

by Anonymousreply 118December 30, 2020 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!