Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rachel McAdams should have been Best Supporting Actress-nominated for Mean Girls, dammit!

And that's on periodt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2020 1:41 AM

How is Margot Robbie getting nominated left and right for roles McAdams could've done in her sleep?!

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2020 2:08 AM

No modern actress could EVER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2020 2:08 AM

I agree

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2020 2:10 AM

She's very underrated. I'm surprised she's not a much bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2020 2:14 AM

R4 I don't she tries. She works but doesn't seek the attention

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2020 2:18 AM

Something happened, and I have no idea what! She was ascendent 04-05, wound up in a string of mediocre films, then played "Bitchy Girlfriend" in Midnight in Paris and Sherlock Holmes, "Pretty Girlfriend" in To the Wonder, and "Ex Girlfriend" in Aloha.

I think she must have made some sort of decision or switched agents or something to get her ass on that second season of True Detective no one liked, but then she got an Oscar nomination for Spotlight, then wound up as "Medical Girlfriend" in Doctor Strange.

Has anyone seen About Time? She's really really really really really good in that and has a lot to do, which surprised me. Whole film's charming and Domhnall Gleeson and Bill Nighy can both fuck me.

Anyway, more McAdams please! Remember she and Gosling? Was anything ever so pure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2020 2:21 AM

Maybe she was sidelined by Harvey?

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2020 2:22 AM

Was she ever in a Miramax or Weinstein feature?

Also, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO NAOMI WATTS?!

What? Hollywood all of a sudden decided it didn't know what to do with beautiful blondes? BULLSHIT! This STINKS of Margot Robbie.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2020 2:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2020 5:42 AM

R9 Lacey Chabert should have ALSO getting a nomination! Films get double Best Supporting Actress nominations all the time. Why not Mean Girls?!

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2020 11:50 AM

I don’t think it was appreciated at the time how iconic that movie or her performance would become.

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2020 12:09 PM

I agree. That blonde wig was a mess though.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2020 12:17 PM

I love Rachel McAdams. She is a force of good. I look forward to Eurovision.

She should have been nominated for Regina George, but Meryl would have cock-blocked her if we would have ever gotten close to such a great nomination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2020 12:27 PM

MTV Movie Awards or Blockbuster Awards (do they even still have those?), sure. But Academy Awards? Please.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2020 1:34 PM

She started to get less publicity after she walked out on that Vanity Fair cover with Keira Knightley and Scarlett Johanssen. She also probably didnt fuck harvey weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2020 1:51 PM

R15 why did she walk out?

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2020 1:52 PM

Wasn't Mean Girls a relative flop at the cinema and only became huge through word of mouth and DVD?

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2020 1:57 PM

I really liked the film but I don't even remember her in it.

Anyway, nobody has ever or will better Nancy Allen in Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2020 1:57 PM

Mean Girls was a hit at the theater but not a big as they thought it would be. It took off once everybody actually saw how good it is. It has so many funny scenes and the film just flows well.

Regina George is iconic. Yes, Rachel should have received a nomination for this. But the lies about her age.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote]But the lies about her age.

That's most actresses. Women with their age. Men with their height. Ladida.

Anyway, I'm happy to see the support for Rachel! I remember the Mean Girls phenomenon resonating at my school when it came out on DVD because everyone could relate to it, and could spot the various archetypes in their own lives. It's this strange type of film that, I'd argue, hit immediately with the right demo, but the demo (in full) didn't see it 'til DVD. THAT's when its roots dug into the culture, and suddenly everyone could speak Mean Girls, and quote it nonstop, and we did that for like... over a decade, which is why it's now an entity on Broadway.

Its status as a modern class a la Clueless or Heathers is well attested, and I think the Tony nomination Taylor Lauderman received could only have been possible had McAdams brought the character to life so expertly. You can [italic]hear[/italic] her delivery of, "Oh my God, Karen, you're so [bold]STOOOPID[/bold]!" right? There are so many specific, intentional, performative moments like this that she pulls off EFFORTLESSLY! The gif I posted is another example of that.

She's a goddamn actress, and I have NO idea why the industry's wasting her. But perhaps she's fine? I mean, I'm just happy she got that Spotlight nomination because bitches need to respect a bitch!

Also, she's like... proto-everyone by the way. Proto-Chastain, Proto-Robbie. And arguably more compelling to watch than both! FUCK!

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2020 2:26 PM

R20 lets not over do it but Rachel is great and Mean Girls is a thoroughly enjoyable, funny film filled with great scenes throughout. It has great characters, great lines, great chemistry between the actors. Everybody shines.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2020 2:39 PM

I'm surprised this doesn't get posted on here more often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2020 2:49 PM

r22 One of the best lines ever!

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2020 2:53 PM

[quote]lets not over do it

Nah. I'll die on this hill, lol. There's precedence for performances like McAdams' to get nominated. If this film had come out around Bridesmaids era, and hit as hard as its current popularity would indicate, she'd have been in the running a la McCarthy. Tina got a WGA nod for Original Screenplay, so I think the film had buzz in pockets. The Academy was just different back in 04/05. Nowadays though... she'd be getting HELLA buzz.

R22 YES! Her deliveries are sonically embedded in the culture! Honestly, McAdams doesn't even have to do anything, really, as she's already played one of the most iconic characters in cinema (I'M DYING ON THIS HILL). But I'd like to see more from him.

Anyone see her in Hot Chick? That was the first time I saw her, and it was a fucking Rob Schneider vehicle. Remember when HE was allowed to make movies? Anyway, he plays the hot chick he body swaps with and she's the REAL juice of the film (well Anna Faris is great). McAdams has to establish the character before she hands it off to Schneider, and Schneider has to establish his character before he hands it over to McAdams, and Schneider's big and fun and ha ha ha a man as a woman, but McAdams is acting her fucking ASS off being a GENUINE comedian throughout. She's not even the fucking star. She's just woven throughout the B plot, but she remains, arguably, the most necessary and underrated part of that bonkers film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2020 2:59 PM

Don't get me started on the GENIUS pairing of her and Cillian in RED EYE!

SUCH BEAUTY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote]which is why it's now an entity on Broadway.

Well, not so much NOW.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2020 3:00 PM

Rachel is wonderful and I could watch her in anything. She is like a Laura Linney that way.

Her Regina George is one of the best characters ever in teen comedy (or any comedy).

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2020 3:04 PM

R24 i love The Hot Chick. I think it would get ripped to shreds if it came out today for not being pc. And Matthew Laurence was hot in it too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2020 3:05 PM

I watched Hot Chick a lot in my youth. Best use of Matthew Lawrence's body. I'm glad it was captured at this moment in time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2020 3:08 PM

Eric Christian Olsen was bringing it back then too. Anyone remember Eric Christian Olsen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2020 3:09 PM

Uhhhh, I didn't know Eric remained fully fuckable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2020 3:14 PM

And he's still working! That makes me happy as I always liked him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2020 3:14 PM

R30 how could i forget? He played a teenager for 20 years lol. I liked him in Fired Up.

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2020 3:15 PM

Has anyone seen Game Night? I've heard it's great, and that Rachel's great in it. I think I'll watch it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote] I liked him in Fired Up.

Okay, but Nicholas D'Agostino though..................... boy's fire, right? I first saw him in this indie film called Rocket Science (with a brilliant, young Anna Kendrick) and this towering, beautiful, aquiline-looking motherfucker's just delivering these lightning-fast lines of debate dialogue and it was just so HOT!

Where is he? He had a small (but fun) role in The Office and last I heard he was on a funny legal show? That still happening?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2020 3:23 PM

Rachel is beautiful, talented, and comes with her own personality. Nothing cookie cutter about here.

One of my favorite actresses and she should definitely be a much bigger star imo.

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2020 3:46 PM

About her*

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2020 3:46 PM

R35 Nicholas is so damn gorgeous in every way possible. I would marry him in a flash.

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2020 3:58 PM

Nicholas is definitely marriage material! I like that he's keeping those pecs nice and full.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2020 7:29 PM

He's Italian right? He's kinda got Santino Fontana face.

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2020 7:29 PM

Did she really turn down The Devil Wears Prada and The Dark Knight because she wanted to get away from commercial movies? That doesn't really make sense when she did Sherlock Holmes and Morning Glory shortly after.. I wonder if she just has terrible taste in scripts?

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2020 9:07 PM

[quote]Okay, but Nicholas D'Agostino though...

D'Agosto, not D'Agostino.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2020 9:24 PM

Stop trying to make Rachel McAdams happen!

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2020 9:25 PM

[Quote] Did she really turn down The Devil Wears Prada and The Dark Knight because she wanted to get away from commercial movies? That doesn't really make sense when she

The Devil Wears Prada was a missed opportunity. But none of the female characters from the Nolan movies were good.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2020 1:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!