Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Lynde

Who had him? Who wanted him? Well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2020 10:57 AM

There’s got to be one person out there...

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2020 10:00 PM

Felice Orlandi found him quite fetching.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2020 10:09 PM

He'd be about 94 now, right?

Erna probably did him.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2020 10:09 PM

Is he Jewish. He sounds Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2020 10:11 PM

From Wikipedia:

[quote] In 1976, a People magazine article on Lynde included text about Stan Finesmith, who was described as Lynde's "suite mate" and "chauffeur-bodyguard." The magazine did not include a photograph of Finesmith. During Lynde's lifetime, this was as close as the media came to hinting at his homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2020 10:12 PM

Who is that in OP's photo?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2020 10:17 PM

That’s BenDeLaCreme R6

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2020 10:21 PM

You realize he died like 40 years ago. I mean yeah, Dataloungers skew older but not that fucking old. 🤦‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2020 10:22 PM

[quote] Felice Orlandi found him quite fetching.

Stan Finesmith found him quietly felching.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2020 10:35 PM

Paul Lynde r6

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2020 10:50 PM

Wrong R10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2020 10:56 PM

That was a surprisingly unamusing and inaccurate impression of Paul Lynde. More like Deep South John Byner.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2020 11:00 PM

It was a terrible Paul Lynde from the usually wonderful Ben DeLa Creme. Not enough of the drily sarcastic Paul, more of the vocal tics that everyone affects when they imitate him.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2020 11:22 PM

Well, it was a more accurate impression than his Maggie Smith.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2020 11:24 PM

Oh sweet Jesus that r11 was cringe. Someone give this man a job selling real estate.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2020 4:55 AM

WTF, OP. I’m guessing if Paul Lynde were alive today, he’d be around 100 years old. He was fucking old back in the 1970s. Anyone around to recall their dicks in some really old man, must be nearly dead as well.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2020 5:27 AM

Conan O'Brien is now a Paul Lynde impersonator?

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2020 7:44 AM

That did not look like Paul Land to me.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2020 8:08 AM

That's not Lynde

That's Ben Dela Phlegm

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2020 10:39 AM

Peter Marshall: "Paul, when a man falls off a ship, they shout 'Man Overboard!' What do they shout when a woman falls off?"

Paul: "Full steam ahead!"

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2020 10:45 AM

There's a million of his one-liners...

Peter Marshall: A western saddle has a curved horn on the front to hold something for the cowboy. What is it?

Paul Lynde: A passenger.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2020 10:52 AM

Lynde was an especially mean drunk, mistreating friends and foes equally, and could be very racist.

[quote] His drinking also got him into trouble. He was a “mean” drunk rather than a “happy” drunk, and he routinely abused his friends and others. In a notorious incident in 1978 he hurled racial slurs at a black man in line with him at a fast food restaurant. The man was a Northwestern professor, and he disclosed the incident to the press, resulting in a public apology. In 1979 he left “Hollywood Squares.” Some stories say he was fired for his alcoholism, others that he left in a salary dispute and because he no longer enjoyed the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2020 12:30 PM

Paul answered this on Hollywood Squares ...

Why do guys on motorcycles wear leather? Because chiffon wrinkles.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2020 12:55 PM

Some more...

Peter Marshall: What’s the one thing you should never do in bed?

Paul Lynde: Point and laugh!

Peter Marshall: What is a pullet?

Paul Lynde: A little show of affection.

Peter Marshall: Who was known as “Old Blood and Guts?”

Paul Lynde: Barbara Stanwyck.

...and my favorite, so appropriate

Peter Marshall: What is the name of the song that is played when the President of the United States walks into a room?

Paul Lynde: Send in the Clowns.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2020 1:08 PM

Was that before or after Young Frankenstein, R23?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2020 1:13 PM

Paul was one of the gay pioneers with an acerbic, dry sense of humor and pointedly gay double entendres. He was also an angry drunk. The Hollywood E Story covers his life well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2020 1:19 PM

there is a legendary story of Lynde drunk on a plane. He was in first class and had knocked back a few. A little girl was running up and down the lane hitting the seats. Lynde grabbed the child, stood up and yelled, who's child is this? A woman sheepishly said "mine." He walked the child down to the mother and said "keep her in her seat before I fuck her."

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2020 1:22 PM

Paul Lynde —- MURDERER?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2020 1:29 PM

^^ I didn't PUSH him... It was more like a shove ;-)

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2020 1:39 PM

I always enjoy watching him broadcast the weather forecast in this news clip. His comedic spontaneity and improvisation were simply amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2020 1:44 PM

I saw him deliver this, my favorite, line on WOF.

Peter Marshall: Paul, you have a pick, an ax, and a shovel. What are you about to do?

Paul Lynde: Thin out Joan Crawford's eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] I saw him deliver this, my favorite, line on WOF.

Come again.

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2020 4:11 PM

R31, all the game shows kinda run together during those long afternoons in prison, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2020 4:37 PM

There's almost always an active thread about Paul Lynde on Datalounge, and there's always some genius who claims that no one knows who he is.

If there's no one left to talk about hooking up with him it's because of the AIDS epidemic, not age. Lynde liked twinks and he died in 1982; there could be plenty of former twinks now in their late 50s to late 60s who knew him.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote] line on WOF.

Good God almighty what was I thinking. It was on HS (Hollywood Squares), not WOF (Wheel Of Fortune). My only defense is that for some reason I had WOF on the brain this morning for some reason. Why I don't know because I've never watched that show..

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2020 5:03 PM

@34 "there could be plenty of former twinks now in their late 50s to late 60s who knew him. "

Not if there were any open windows involved... 80s version of "ghosting"

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2020 5:06 PM

Notorious Paul Barresi was part of the group who discovered Lynde's dead body with a popper bottle on the bedside table. I have little doubt Barresi sold his body to Lynde many times over the years.

I'm just shocked Barresi is still alive. He knows where lots of bodies are buried in Hollywood. Bodies a lot of powerful and very evil people would not want to be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2020 5:10 PM

One of the most hilarious routines ever is Paul Lynde's trip to Africa from the 50's.

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] Notorious Paul Barresi

Worst. Rapper name. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2020 8:26 PM

I wonder if he's still a good fuck... Paul Baressi, that is.

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2020 8:56 PM

r40 Ask me later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2020 9:37 PM

Paul Lynde and Kaye Ballard were friends. She was upset with his needling, nasty remarks, but she tolerated it. After a while, Paul became impossible to be around. Apparently, she stopped speaking to him.

At one time, Paul redecorated his home. (He has excellent taste.) He invited friends over to show off the house. They sat on the patio because Paul refused to let them inside of the house. He didn’t want them to mess up the place. He was a nasty prick when he drank.

by Anonymousreply 42April 6, 2020 9:47 PM

I think Paul Lynde was one of very few gay men Elizabeth Taylor intensely disliked. I read that she threw a party after he died.

Upon meeting Lana Turner, Paul Lynde said: “You killed him, didn’t ya?” He was referring to Lana’s deceased boyfriend, Johnny Stompanato. Her daughter stabbed him to defend her mother. Years afterwards, it was alleged that Lana herself killed him and her daughter took the rap.

by Anonymousreply 43April 7, 2020 1:35 AM

Lynde, did he have the sex?

by Anonymousreply 44April 7, 2020 1:55 AM

There was a reason why Paul Lynde was center square on Hollywood Squares, and why he pulled in cash from that show.

Yes, she could be a mean viper tongued nasty old queen, but no one could touch PL at top of his game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 7, 2020 9:09 AM

I was a wee lad when he died, but found him absolutely mesmerising. Even if it was Bewitched reruns and Hollywood Squares. Love him. Legend.

by Anonymousreply 46April 7, 2020 9:12 AM

R45, I’m sure you’re aware those jokes were written for him. Don’t think, even though it appears that way, that’s spontaneous ad lib.

by Anonymousreply 47April 7, 2020 10:43 AM

[quote] Her daughter stabbed him to defend her mother.

The official story was that the daughter just had the knife in her hand but did not actually stab him. In the melee he reported ran into the knife, and basically stabbed himself.

by Anonymousreply 48April 7, 2020 12:29 PM

He ran into my knife ten times.

by Anonymousreply 49April 7, 2020 12:30 PM

[quote] In the melee he reported ran into the knife, and basically stabbed himself.

Thirteen times. Worst case of suicide I ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2020 12:31 PM

All of the HS celeb's had joke answers written for them. I think they had the option to use them or not as there were times questions were asked and some on the panel would just answer straight out, no joke included. I got the feeling at times some of the panel members got sick of the canned answers the show had written for them.

by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2020 12:31 PM

Paul Lynde was just a BITCHY QUEEN. No more.

by Anonymousreply 52April 7, 2020 12:46 PM

I don't know. He sounds like THE bitchy queen.

by Anonymousreply 53April 7, 2020 12:46 PM

queen bee

by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2020 1:30 PM

He was one of a kind. Loved him in “Bye,Bye Birdie”.

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2020 1:30 PM

He was one of a kind. Loved him in “Bye,Bye Birdie”.

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2020 1:30 PM

LOVE!

by Anonymousreply 57April 7, 2020 1:32 PM

r55 is NOT one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 58April 7, 2020 1:54 PM

i'm afraid not

by Anonymousreply 59April 7, 2020 2:30 PM

R47

An an actor's lines are written for him or her also; but that doesn't always translate into a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 60April 8, 2020 1:05 AM

I'm quite well aware that Lynde had his lines written for him on HS. I'm sure he had some input. And I'm sure he improved at times as well. He was a smart and sophisticated guy. He was also a standup comedian who wrote his own material when he performed on stage, as well as skits for New Faces and material for his Comedy Hour. He wasn't some airhead off the street.

At minimum, however, ultimately, he was the one who delivered those HS lines.

And, boy, did he deliver.

by Anonymousreply 61April 8, 2020 2:15 AM

A delight for the mind and eye

by Anonymousreply 62April 8, 2020 2:36 AM

Liberace was famously Italian and the family was old-school Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 63April 8, 2020 2:48 AM

Liberace's mother was Polish. His first name was Wladziu.

by Anonymousreply 64April 8, 2020 3:02 AM

What is the national currency of Puerto Rico?

Food Stamps

Can you imagine someone saying that today?

by Anonymousreply 65April 8, 2020 3:08 AM

You realize all those great quips were written for the cast of H’wood Squares by a team of writers, don’t you? Shit’s mad funny, but that don’t make it real...

by Anonymousreply 66April 8, 2020 5:26 AM

Oh, sorry r51. I just stepped on my own line...

by Anonymousreply 67April 8, 2020 5:28 AM

Bruce Vilanch wrote his lines.

by Anonymousreply 68April 8, 2020 6:51 AM

One of those behind-the-scenes shows from the early 2000s, I think the E! True Hollywood Story episode, had someone interviewed who said Paul would ad lib with really off-color stuff on purpose just to make everyone's jobs harder because of the retakes and the editing, but they were able to keep some of it.

I am positive Rose Marie (who was his life-long friend) mentioned it as well in interviews; she basically says his "honk if you love Jesus" line was his in this interview.

But as you can also tell from the examples they give of her lines, many of those questions and answers were pre-written.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 8, 2020 10:21 AM

R60 and r61, I agree with you completely. He was definitely one of a kind, but today we don’t know who is posting in terms of age, so I wanted to make the poster clear.

There’s no doubt that regardless of who wrote the jokes, he was hilarious himself.

by Anonymousreply 70April 8, 2020 11:07 AM

[quote] Shit’s mad funny, but that don’t make it real...

it's real enough. scripted performances are totally real, asshole

by Anonymousreply 71April 8, 2020 1:06 PM

Joan Rivers claims she was never scripted.

by Anonymousreply 72April 8, 2020 7:30 PM

Liberace was Polish and Italian.

by Anonymousreply 73April 8, 2020 8:06 PM

Joan rivers was an old Jew

by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2020 2:23 AM

Yes but has anyone made Paul Lynde Beef Stew?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2020 2:37 AM

How big is that thing, R75? Yeah and that one bay leaf is going to make a difference. It is the only fresh thing in it. Canned potatoes?

by Anonymousreply 76April 9, 2020 2:41 AM

Did the guys even eat it?

by Anonymousreply 77April 9, 2020 2:49 AM

That sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 78April 9, 2020 2:51 AM

There's no question that stew recipe is legitimately from the 70s. It's got canned peas AND tapioca in it!

by Anonymousreply 79April 9, 2020 4:01 AM

R76 a bay leaf makes all the difference.

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2020 10:12 AM

So does a fig leaf.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2020 10:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!