Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is 'Burnt Offerings' so criminally underrated?

It's probably the most underrated horror movie ever. Magnificent performances from Karen Black, Oliver Reed and the great Bette Davis. Davis was robbed of an Oscar nomination for her performance.

Bob Fosse was originally hired as the director, but pulled out after several months.

Bette Davis detested Oliver Reed, refering to him as "that man" and only speaking to him when they shared onscreen dialogue. After filming, she described him as "possibly one of the most loathesome human beings I have ever had the misfortune of meeting".

Bette Davis reportedly had conflicts with Karen Black, feeling Black did not extend her an appropriate degree of respect, and that her behavior on the film set was unprofessional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2020 8:37 AM

Love this movie

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2020 8:25 PM

I think this is a great movie too.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2020 8:26 PM

Lee Montgomery, who played the little boy, turned out to be quite a hottie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2020 8:28 PM

The house used in the movie was also used for the movie Phantasm.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2020 8:30 PM

Oliver Reed was indeed a pompous ass.

Shelley Winters famously dumped a drink on his head after he went on a sexist diatribe on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

It happens around 9:10. The lead-up more than justifies Shelley’s wordless statement.

Bette Davis was right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2020 8:34 PM

I can definitely see Bette and Karen not getting along. Wasn't Karen a crazy diva like Faye Dunaway?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2020 8:38 PM

Bette was the crazy diva.

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2020 8:41 PM

Bette had many great qualities, but getting along with her co-stars was not one of the, I can see her objections to faye Dunaway's crazy behavior on set of the Aimee Semple McPherson being justified (since faye was doing drugs and was completely unprofessional), and even Oliver reed, but she didn't like anyone, and it just got worse as she grew older. She even objected to working with Lillian Gish, who by all accounts was a consummate professional and had the patience of a saint.

Bette is always fun to read about, but she was a nightmare to work with, especially as she got older.

She sums up the phrase "beloved cunt."

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2020 8:46 PM

Love this movie too! The killer pool! The death head chauffeur! Granny in the attic! Killing makes the house bloom!

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2020 8:47 PM

The The Dunsmuir House was also prominently on display in A View to a Kill (1985) among many other more B list films. Lee Montgomery was the original Joey Lawrence and one Hell of a hottie in his late teens and twenties. I have loved this movie since I first saw it late at night as a 7 or 8 year old. It's one of those films that you can watch 100 times and never tire of. So does Karen Black's character live on at the end? It seems that the house killed all of its other inhabitants (minus the brother and sister of course).

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2020 8:48 PM

Davis and Reed were both good actors who made too many crappy movies. Personality-wise they were probably pretty similar too: arrogant and prickly and drunk.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2020 8:50 PM

Burnt Offering was conceived by and directed by Dan Curtis who brought us the iconic gothic/horror soap opera Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2020 8:51 PM

That creepy chauffeur still gives me the chills thinking about him.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2020 8:52 PM

Dan Curtis on the movie set of House Of Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2020 8:54 PM

It’s a great atmospheric thriller and horror film, and the amazing Karen Black suited that role beautifully.

I remember being so creeped out by the chauffeur with the black glasses.

We were all so frightened of this film as kids that my siblings and I gave each other copies of the DVD when it first came out on DVD as prank gifts.

It’s a really cool old film.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2020 8:56 PM

The novel it's based on is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2020 9:05 PM

Lee Montgomery was very hot...this is him today at 58...time has not been kind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2020 9:14 PM

Did Bette die from the coronavirus in the movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2020 11:44 PM

I love it, and the performances. Reed and Black were very underrated - However, Karen was always a lovely person IRL while Reed became a drunken monster. Steven King was also a fan of the book and admitted that it inspired The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2020 12:04 AM

^^ I mean Stephen King

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2020 12:05 AM

Stephen King has said that Burn Offerings is one of his favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote]Bette Davis reportedly had conflicts with Karen Black

Bette reportedly had conflicts wilts many of her costars over the years...which leads me to believe maybe Bette was the problem in most instances.

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2020 1:36 AM

It was shit.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2020 2:50 AM

This movie was a hacky piece of shit that falls completely apart after the first half and just goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2020 2:53 AM

Nothing 'magnificent' about it, but it is entertaining in a 'rainy day on the couch movie' kinda way, teetering toward camp. We gays thank the producers for nabbing Bette for the part.

It doesn't sound like Karen got along with anyone in any movie. She was an odd duck, but compelling on film.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2020 3:30 AM

R17 Sad.

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote]Bette reportedly had conflicts wilts many of her costars over the years...which leads me to believe maybe Bette was the problem in most instances.

I disagree. Bette was a consummate professional and expected her fellow actors to show up on time, know their lines and treat everyone with respect. She certainly did. She only had conflicts with hussies like Faye Dunaway, Karen Black and Joan Crawford, who were acted unprofessionally and unbecoming of a major star.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2020 3:56 AM

I saw the movie and like some reviewers pointed out, it is slow and plodding. It really wasn't one of my favorites. Blah. Definitely not one of Dan Curtis's better productions.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2020 4:12 AM

What the fuck with Lee Montgomery. That is some truly bad aging. Would never have made the connection if I saw pics of young and old Lee side by side. Did he do meth or something?

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote] Bette was a consummate professional and expected her fellow actors to show up on time, know their lines [bold]and treat everyone with respect. She certainly did.[/bold]

Oh, [italic]please.[/italic]

The infamous and oft-repeated story of the first read-through for "All About Eve"--the rest of the cast is gathered at the table as Bette Davis walks in

CELESTE HOLM: "Good morning, Miss Davis!"

BETTE DAVIS: (loudly) "Shit! Manners!"

So, try again, r27....

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2020 11:10 PM

I tried to watch it because of this thread but couldn't get through it all. I thought Karen was bland and had no chemistry with Oliver Reed, who was sexy. Bette Davis energised the screen whenever she was on. Karen does the DVD commentary with Dan Curtis which I hoped to listen to but got so bored by the movie I didn't bother.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2020 8:19 AM

I forget where I read it but apparently Bette Davis and Lee Montgomery became close during the making of the movie. Davis said there was no one on set looking out for him so she took it upon herself to take him under her wing.

I've always enjoyed this one but I'm sure nostalgia is part of it. I saw it as a young child and it left an impression. It's slow and doesn't have a lot of overly flashy moments but the ending is devastating. And yes, r10, Black lives on as the house's new heart/life force , though her character Marion Rolfe is probably completely gone.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2020 8:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!