Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you having your cleaning lady come over?

Several people I know are not having their cleaning lady come over. I can't imagine taking away from her income but more importantly I can't imagine cleaning my own apartment and doing my own laundry. I just cant. My current gal has been with me for 12 years and the one before that was with me for 7 so that means I've not cleaned or done laundry for 19 years. I can't see myself doing the cleaning and laundry but I also can't see myself taking away from someone's income. I'd have to at least pay her still. What is everyone else doing?

by Anonymousreply 211December 30, 2020 9:25 PM

Paying and asking her to stay home.

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2020 6:51 PM

Paying for the next two months and then will see.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2020 6:53 PM

We’re paying ours and letting her shelter in place.

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2020 6:54 PM

We had ours come this week. thought about cancelling her but still paying her. She's probably mid 60s. When asked if she was feeling alright, gave a blunt, Polish reply, "yes, wouldn't come if I wasn't ok!" In the end, she cleaned 2/3 floors of the house and still paid in full.

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2020 6:54 PM

Rich white people problems

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Consuela! Can you come over here a sec?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Mine is not coming over and I’m paying her. Not full freight, but most of it. I don’t like cleaning my house but she comes a distance on public transit. I’m worried for her and I’m worried for me. It’s just not worth it.

Start picking, Sue Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Big discussion in my family about this. My two sisters both have had the same cleaning woman, for years. I have a Polish couple for like 20 years. We have been paying them, but urging them to stay home. It's about loyalty and the fact that our income hasn't changed, while theirs has with many other clients cancelling. We have decided to go this route until we need to give a re-consideration. Money really isn't an object for us yet, we'll see through time.

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Paying them for a month, having them stay home.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2020 7:06 PM

Same. Paying but having her stay home. The only reasonable thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2020 7:12 PM

I told mine to stay home, but am paying her for now.

What I can't decide is whether it would be reasonable to ask her to come a few extra times when things go back to normal or whether I should just let it slide.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Exactly, r8. Our housekeeper has been with us 21 years. Her husband pours concrete for a living and she cleans houses. He had been allowed to keep working initially but now all construction is called off too.

Everyone’s health and wellness is at stake right now. Our income and resources aren’t the issue, yet anyway. Their income is, and I’m not going to ask anyone to make that choice.

I cleaned the whole house, laundry etc the other day. It sucked, but I realized how much she does. I know how fortunate I am and I know what an asset she is.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2020 7:20 PM

This has pretty much been the main topic of conversation on Howard Stern all this past week and last. Howard and Beth are completely quarantined with no one else in their Hamptons house, and Robin Quivers can't give up her staff.

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2020 7:20 PM

Only the chauffeur and the downstairs footmen.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2020 7:22 PM

[quote] I have a Polish couple for like 20 years.... Money really isn't an object for us yet...

Insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2020 7:28 PM

The poors of Brazil are being killed because the wealthy "simply can't get on without help". So these women are travelling from the ghetto to the upper class sections and transporting the virus, to and fro; poor people don't usually travel to Europe, rich people do. WTF

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2020 7:40 PM

Paying housekeeper to stay home for as long as it takes. Been covering most of it but keep putting off vacuuming. Soon enough there will be a reckoning.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2020 7:50 PM

" I can't imagine cleaning my own apartment and doing my own laundry. "

Can you wipe your ass, you pathetic bitch?

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2020 7:52 PM

I’m still just not able to wrap my head around going to the laundry room. That just freaks me out.

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2020 7:58 PM

Don't we all use Nude Maids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2020 8:00 PM

She knew what she signed on for when she got the job!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2020 8:05 PM

Our pool guy has a sister who cleans for us. He’s still coming, but we’re paying her to stay home.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2020 8:05 PM

[quote] The poors of Brazil are being killed because the wealthy "simply can't get on without help".

Glen Greenwald and his political boytoy have tons of servants at their place in Brazil just to pick up all the shit dropped by their enormous pack of dogs.

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2020 8:07 PM

I am still paying her but asked her to stay home. She works for three other households and they are all still having her come to work.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote]She works for three other households and they are all still having her come to work.

Even more incentive NOT to have her come if she's in such close quarters with so many other households.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]Insufferable.

Sorry, but I don't apologize for being well off.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2020 9:36 PM

Nor for being a stupid cunt!

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2020 9:37 PM

OP = Prince Charles, hyperventilating

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2020 9:58 PM

R28 = A housekeeper not getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2020 10:06 PM

We are paying our 3 Brazilian ladies who come for half a day every other week. But told them NOT to come. Thank you, Venmo! We are perfectly capable of cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen, vacuuming, dusting, changing the bed. They had this whole line about wearing masks and clorox and stuff, but I don't want to worry about surfaces in my own home. Worth it to pay. They were very grateful....

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2020 10:15 PM

Your "gal," OP? This is why we hate us.

Wash your own dirty drawers and pay your cleaning person(s) their usual full salary to stay home for the duration of the "shelter-in" period; they are unlikely to be covered under either the stimulation package or unemployment benefit program in general.

And pay your dogwalker, personal trainer, etc. to stay at home, too!

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2020 10:56 PM

I've forbidden my staff to leave the estate, nor may they have visits from anyone. I have had 2 violations and those 2 are quarantined in the gardeners cottage by the shuttered palm house, which has been empty since 1941. Otherwise, routine operations here. I let everyone go home from the house in Cap d'Antibes but it was the winter staff there, so only 7.

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2020 10:59 PM

Because of the virus my cleaning lady is home. Sent me instructions on what to do and how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2020 10:59 PM

R31 Let me guess. You’re the dog walker? Fuck your self, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2020 11:18 PM

I hate cleaning. She’s still coming over.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2020 12:18 AM

Ours is still coming. Tipped her fifty bucks on top of the fee.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2020 12:28 AM

My cleaning woman came over today. She will wear a mask and gloves for the foreseeable future.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2020 12:36 AM

My housekeeper's husband has cancer, and she's too proud to not clean. I've told her I'll pay her and she doesn't need to come, but she insists. My house is easy, she's in and out in 2 1/2 hours, and I think she likes having somewhere else to go. She only comes every other week, and I've told her to absolutely not come if she feels sick. She helps herself to the tp and paper towels. We've never discussed it, but now she's doubled down on her take.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2020 12:37 AM

Paid her for most of March not to come and will pay through the end of April, and then we will see. My housekeeper comes three days a week and luckily she stocked my pantry, freezer and loaded up on cleaning supplies well in advance.

I am trying to keep the place neat but need to dust, vacuum and mop floors soon. So far I’ve kept up with laundry but barely have any.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2020 1:05 AM

I've decided I'm going to have my gal continue to come. I only have a 600 sqft studio so she's in and out in under a hour and a half with cleaning and laundry. I'll just have her do gloves and a mask upon entering and make her wash her hands first thing. I can't do this, I just can't. Not after this many years. She's willing to still do it so what the fuck. I will give her a raise though.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2020 1:22 AM

Our housekeeper and housemaid live on site, so we haven't had any issues. The yard man doubles as a driver and he has been staying over the garage, so we're really unaffected. We're paying extra because of the constraints on their activities, which can't be helped. They don't have close family to take care of, and it's working well. The housekeeper won't permit anyone else to do the shopping, but we're not letting her drive herself, which she usually does.

I agree with the people who are continuing to pay their once-a-week help who otherwise would be completely out of work and cash.

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2020 1:37 AM

I'm staying in a friend's place that is out from Atlanta, to get away from the people. The friend is stuck in Madrid for the foreseeable future, and will maybe stay there all summer. I've been paying her maid to not clean, told her that there is no way I'm letting her and her crew come into this apartment. She is pretty much useless as a house cleaner anyway. My willingness to keep this up is going to come to an end pretty soon, I think.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2020 12:15 PM

I'm for a progressive income tax, but I believe it should not be based solely on income. Tax forms should also include questions like, do you have servants, do you have a second home, is your home value more than the median value in the U.S., does your home have more square footage than your family size requires, do you own a luxury car. People who answer yes to any of these questions should have to be pay considerably more tax than people even at the same income level. Exceptions of course for the elderly and infirm who need assistance or whose house value has appreciated or who are empty-nesters.

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2020 12:24 PM

Our cleaners aren’t cleaning during the shutdown, but we are in one of the shutdown states (PA). And since I’m nowhere but home these days, I have more time to clean my house on my own.

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2020 12:25 PM

[quote] Money really isn't an object for us yet, we'll see through time.

smell you...

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2020 12:35 PM

R11 Let it slide. You seem kind, many others probably will make her "make up for it" which would be so hard if many people do that. Don't be that guy.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2020 12:38 PM

[quote] Robin Quivers can't give up her staff.

Of course she can’t. lol

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2020 12:42 PM

[quote] I only have a 600 sqft studio so she's in and out in under a hour and a half with cleaning and laundry. I'll just have her do gloves and a mask upon entering and make her wash her hands first thing. I can't do this, I just can't. Not after this many years.

Is this a joke? You can't clean a 600 sqft studio? Even with nothing else to do and nowhere to go?

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2020 12:43 PM

[quote] I only have a 600 sqft studio

And you have a maid for that?

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2020 12:43 PM

What is a cleaning lady?

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2020 12:45 PM

My partner and I are fortunate in the sense that we can work from home and our income is not particularly affected by this. We are paying our cleaning guys and the dog walker as if they were coming here as usual. Happy to support them, since we've known them for many years and they've been nothing but helpful to us when we needed it and we'd hate to see them lose their businesses to this. We'll figure out how they can do something for us once this blows over and they're back on their feet.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2020 12:45 PM

I've had my housekeeper 30+ years. She would come in twice per week. I've given her a paid-in-full vacation until this shitstorm blows over. I hate cleaning. She brings a helper once a week who does the laundry and ironing. My home currently looks like a rat hole. It's too big to clean. Fuck it. I'll survive, I hope she does too. I'll get it back in order soon.. maybe..

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2020 1:01 PM

Can we please have the addresses of those people with housekeepers and cleaning people, so that we know where to go to drag out the inhabitants when the revolution starts?

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2020 1:19 PM

r43, how do you think the rich should spend their money? Rather, what economic activities would your tax code not punish?

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2020 1:39 PM

I’m all for the rich employing people. I’m not for them paying less taxes than their employees.

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2020 2:11 PM

R49 yes I do and fuck you. I’ve employed someone for almost 20 years to do this work for me.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2020 2:15 PM

I simply can't risk our lady's bringing in germs from her casa y ninos, so I've required her to shelter in place with us. She is very grateful. We've let her stay in the laundry room which is warm and cheerful and now she's made it cozy. I feel for her because data is so expensive, but she manages to call her family every other day or so. Her husband is in the hospital so it's not like she'd be able to visit or spend time with him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2020 2:19 PM

Paying mine but have told her not to come. She has four children under fourteen suddenly out of school..

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2020 2:19 PM

You all do realize that people can be carriers even when they're showing no signs of illness and that many who have the virus will show few or no signs.

That extends to cleaning ladies

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2020 2:21 PM

I could afford to pay a cleaning lady, but I've never had one since my house is too much of a disaster area for anyone else to have to see or deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2020 2:24 PM

[quote] I can't imagine cleaning my own apartment and doing my own laundry. I just cant.

Oo I hope you die of the virus

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2020 2:25 PM

No, and I'm not paying her either because she tried to bully her way into coming over.

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2020 2:47 PM

R61 listen shit head after you have had help it’s very hard to go without it.

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2020 3:23 PM

I have a live-in houseboy. He’s inside me now.

by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2020 3:28 PM

I’m really fortunate to be middle class now because I’m used to not having staff. Growing up my family did and I’m glad I learned to fend for myself.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2020 3:40 PM

Please tell me R57 is satire.

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2020 3:42 PM

R40 You are a selfish pig who deserves to live in your own filth.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2020 3:44 PM

Bless your heart, R66.

by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2020 3:44 PM

R67 what staff are you paying? Now who is selfish?

by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2020 3:46 PM

I put them on furlough. There's no way I'm letting a bunch of working class/underclass people into my house at times like this. Who knows what kind of ghetto trash they hang out with in their spare time?

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2020 3:51 PM

A retired former friend of mine is, like me, a liberal and a former union activist. She fired her elderly cleaning lady before the pandemic became a thing. Why? Because the poor woman is going blind and is thus not cleaning as well.

She knows the lady cleans to supplement her meager Social Security check, but she fired her anyway.

I swear, it doesn't matter your political persuasion, some people just get REALLY MEAN as they get old.

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2020 3:53 PM

I’ve put my staff on 50% pay. Desperate times call for desperate measures. They still have to work and even harder now because I’m paranoid about cleanliness.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2020 4:44 PM

We only had a cleaning lady ad hoc and there was no regular interval. We had scheduled her before the shelter in place restrictions occurred and she called to ask if it was a good idea after, but before she was to be here. We said no and there has been no payment.

I imagine we'll resume when this is over. Trying to do the best we can ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2020 4:50 PM

R34: You need to get laid, Ebenezer. It isn't my fault that you, like your namesake, are an unloved miserable cheapskate. Sleep well tonight.

No, I am not the dog walker, just a conscientious and caring person who appreciates the behind-the-scenes helpers who make our lives easier and in whom I entrust the care of my home and, most importantly, the safety and wellbeing of my pets in my absence.

by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2020 4:52 PM

A reminder: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2020 5:00 PM

Almost retired house cleaner here. So far our customers have been great. Stay home and we will send a check. One has not made any offer to continue paying us. They will be surprised when we don't return. The rest have been very kind. The fact is we are earning the money because the houses will be a fucking disaster when we do finally return. Our service is about the maintenance of an originally well-cleaned house. After a few weeks, it is like starting from scratch. There is a chance that we may never be able to return to work.

by Anonymousreply 76April 5, 2020 5:11 PM

Thank you R76 for the insight. Would you go to your customers homes if they asked you to continue?

by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2020 5:45 PM

How can I find a hot, out-of-work young man who'll be my live-in houseboy for the duration?

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2020 6:11 PM

R78 Here you go... complete with covid19 virus...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2020 8:06 PM

Mine comes to clean for 3 to 4 hours twice a month. I have a disability and some cleaning activity I physically can't do. I stay in a closed room while she cleans, and we keep social distance. Then when she is ready to clean the last room, I go outside and wait till she is finished. She does wear rubber gloves.

She said she has a few customers that have cancelled on her. She told those that have done so multiple times, that she has a waiting list and may replace them. She's single with three teens, and her only job is house cleaning and cleaning a couple of churches.

This is a semi-rural area.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2020 8:10 PM

Fuck you people who greyed out this thread and complain about "rich people problems." I'm not rich, but I've had the same person come twice a month for 15 years. It's a service like any other, one I work hard and budget for, and she in turn is glad for the work. Yes, she's staying home now and yes I'm paying her.

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2020 8:20 PM

[quote]It's a service like any other, one I work hard and budget for,

Good for you. We have such a strange attitude about these things. Housework is labor. It's hard work. But as a society we act like it's undignified to pay someone to do it -- as if it's a moral failure (the ideal being having a wife who does it all without compensation or complaint).

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2020 12:43 AM

Poor people are endlessly amusing...

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2020 1:28 AM

R77...Hell no!

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2020 1:56 AM

R83 Intubation, forced air up your drowning lungs, nurses in space age protection gear, a couple weeks without any human contact, dementia common among covid patients... and then you suffocate and die.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2020 2:16 AM

I have become far more conscious of cleaning up after myself immediately, rather than leaving it and thinking "the cleaning lady will deal with it when she comes tomorrow."

My mother had to call hers up to find out what products she used to clean what rooms.

We've been pulling chores out of a bowl to see who has to do what. I got mopping yesterday which wasn't that bad.

And yes, I am paying my cleaning lady. I think most people are.

by Anonymousreply 86April 6, 2020 3:01 PM

He cleans about once a month when I'm out at work. However, I will ask him if he wants to clean this month, I would get out of the house for a few hours. It's his choice.

by Anonymousreply 87April 6, 2020 3:16 PM

Hey, R69--First, I have to say, you are just as charming as a leaking boil. I am not maintaining a staff because I do not have a staff. I live alone, wash my own clothes and clean up my own messes and do my own household chores because I am a grown adult.

Anyone whining that they "just can't" wash the skid marks out of their own briefs and vacuum their own homes and otherwise maintain their own lives/environments during a health crisis, callously putting others at risk to continue their so-lazy-I-don't-lift-a-finger-to-exist-and-oh-you- missed-a-spot-over-there tiny world personal lifestyle is a festering twat, who absolutely deserves all the bad outcomes that can possibly result from such selfishness.

And before you resort to calling people too poor or too cheap to have "staff' in the first place, it must be said that IF you're really such a financially endowed, used to being coddled jackass, you, too, should be paying your "staff" during this crisis for the years of service they have provided you, as the many other commenters on this thread have said they're doing.

Last, I bet not one person is missing you during social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 88April 6, 2020 3:31 PM

I told my cleaning lady not to come. I"m keeping everyone out of my house--no need to tempt fate.

I thought about paying her, except her car is way better than mine, and she bought a house and paid it off within a year.

I have no idea where she gets her money and I don't ask.

by Anonymousreply 89April 6, 2020 3:37 PM

R89...You're fired!

by Anonymousreply 90April 6, 2020 7:14 PM

I pay her weekly. Hopefully she can come ack soon. The place is a pigsty despite my efforts. The cooking is no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 91April 6, 2020 7:52 PM

I pay her weekly. Hopefully she can come ack soon. The place is a pigsty despite my efforts. The cooking is no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 92April 6, 2020 7:52 PM

I’ve furloughed all my staff. I don’t pay for no work.

by Anonymousreply 93April 6, 2020 9:14 PM

OP = Mrs. Drysdale from Beverly HIllbillies

by Anonymousreply 94April 6, 2020 9:30 PM

my cleaning lady is named Sarge and for $60 he cleans 100% nude, and for an extra $40 he will make sure you get off as well. He will then finish cleaning the living room where we do the deed. He can wear a mask and rubber gloves if he wishes, but he is booked for Wednesday

by Anonymousreply 95April 6, 2020 9:39 PM

My staff and my rod will comfort thee.

by Anonymousreply 96April 6, 2020 9:54 PM

R88 you are an awful judgmental person. I do pay my gal whether she would be coming here or not. Having her clean and do my laundry takes so much stress off me that you have no idea how it helps me. I pay her very well for the work she does and I've called no one on here poor for not being able to afford a cleaning lady. It's your choice not to use domestic help and that's fine. I choose to do so. It doesn't make me better or worse. It just makes my house and laundry cleaner than if I were to do it myself. So fuck you OP fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 97April 6, 2020 9:55 PM

I live in a 50 unit condo building in a "shelter in place" city. The condo board sent a notice to the residents last week that they voted to close the building to all non-resident visitors including cleaning people, dog walkers, contractors, realtors, and stopped all inside deliveries (such as food, packages, furniture, etc). The exceptions are non-resident family members and health aides. I question the legality of this move. I will still pay my 2 x month cleaning lady.

by Anonymousreply 98April 6, 2020 10:46 PM

Your “gal,” r97? When you told her you were going to pay her whether she came in or not, did she say “23 Skidoo”!

by Anonymousreply 99April 6, 2020 10:55 PM

Your “gal,” r97? When you told her you were going to pay her whether she came in or not, did she say “23 Skidoo”?

by Anonymousreply 100April 6, 2020 10:56 PM

R32, you’ve “forbidden” YOUR staff to leave the estate? Who in the hell do you think you are? Martha Washington? Your post is a parody, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 101April 6, 2020 11:01 PM

Is this thread full of DL newbies?

by Anonymousreply 102April 6, 2020 11:03 PM

R93 = Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 103April 6, 2020 11:04 PM

People pay others to do their laundry and clean? I'm kinda blown away, especially by the laundry bit, I get anxious if other people clean my stuff.

I can understand for the elderly and the disabled though like R80, thats different.

I do everything myself, including car maintenance if I can, do my own oil changes, minor repairs, hate paying anyone for something I can do myself. I could afford to pay someone if I had to, but it would take money away from something else. While in lockdown, I've been digging a drainage channel and filling it with rocks

R43 maybe make it apply for people who have two or more of the luxury items you mention. Some people may have a very modest home but a luxury car, or vice versa, or live in a big house way above median value but they share ownership with several others as I do. I live in a premium area but I drive a 20 year old car, and obviously dont have servants of any sort otherwise I wouldnt be digging ditches

by Anonymousreply 104April 6, 2020 11:09 PM

We moved Alice into Tiger's doghouse in the backyard. We couldn't take the chance of her accidentally infecting one of the children. She and Tiger appear to be getting along swimmingly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 6, 2020 11:12 PM

If I had the money, I’d hire her!

Mamacita was a tough as nails cleaning lady. My house would be cleansed with Germanic thoroughness. Also, I’d love to say: “Mamacita? Coffee!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 6, 2020 11:15 PM

If I had the money, I’d hire her!

Mamacita was a tough as nails cleaning lady. My house would be cleansed with Germanic thoroughness. Also, I’d love to say: “Mamacita? Coffee!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 6, 2020 11:15 PM

R104 and that's absolutely understandable. I have lots of friends that are the same way. I'm the OP and I actually live in a 600 sqft studio and I have a lady that comes over once a week and cleans and does my laundry. I've had this for almost 20 years and I keep my place very clean while she's not here. Her help takes alot of stress off of me especially when I'm working. I am never here when she is. I trust her completely. I pay her well for the 1.5 to 2 hours that she is here. If she said she didn't want to come during this I would say fine and I would still pay her. It's her choice whether to come or not. I'm glad she is willing to still come. I've just not done these things in so long it would freak me out and frankly I just don't want to. Just because someone has a cleaning lady does not necessarily make them a snob or bad person. I think it's probably more of a thing for people that live in the city, and that's not meant to be taken as a snobby comment either, but I'm sure some dumb cunt here will take it that way.

by Anonymousreply 108April 6, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote]listen shit head after you have had help it’s very hard to go without it.

😃🤣💀

by Anonymousreply 109April 6, 2020 11:31 PM

R109 has stated his boundaries

by Anonymousreply 110April 6, 2020 11:34 PM

R108 thats fair enough, you have given her the option and taken appropriate precautions

Everyone has something they either cant or really dont want to do, one of the guys I live with cannot stand to do get dirty working on cars, so I check his oil etc for him

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2020 12:37 AM

Yes. She is coming...and working @ social distance. I don't want her to be out the cash.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2020 12:40 AM

I’m paying my cleaning woman and telling her to stay home. One of her jobs is to make sure I haven’t died since she came last, so I should deduct for that, I guess,

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2020 1:55 AM

I'm eating my cleaning lady out out.

by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2020 3:09 AM

My cleaning lady is actually 4 women from Central America who come together and clean the house in under 2 hours. I am cancelling the next two appointments but paying in full so I don't lose my spot in the schedule. It seems like the right thing to do for me and the company.

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2020 5:18 PM

I had to chose... so the maid was let go and Enrico, 18, from Brazil has stayed on to “help”.

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2020 6:53 PM

So easy to hate Americans. They are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2020 9:49 PM

Do you not say "gal" wherever you're from, r117?

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2020 9:51 PM

Listen, I've got this gal that's been with my family since 1982 and at this point her and her son both live with us. There is NO WAY we are letting them go. We pay all their social security, medicare and unemployment. They are going to clean and do are dirty, dirty shorts.

by Anonymousreply 119April 8, 2020 12:40 AM

You have a cleaning lady?

What...do you think you're too good to clean your own fuckin' house?

Elitist, lazy CUNT

by Anonymousreply 120April 8, 2020 1:49 AM

My “gal” is illegal and I don’t know what she’d do, if people like me didn't pay her, even if they don’t have her clean. I’m glad to read so many people here are paying anyway, if they can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 121April 8, 2020 2:48 AM

So many service persons are hurting from this current situation. Even those who have their own businesses often aren't doing well because their clients have either left town for duration, and or don't need them because they are at home and doing their own dog walking, child minding, cleaning....

Some are getting creative, offering customers special deals to bring in work, but results are uneven.

Here in NYS there still isn't word (IIRC) for when independent contractors/self employed will be able to claim unemployment. Because NYS doesn't do this normally it needs a waver from Washington. As you can imagine DT isn't rushing to sign off on AC's request.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 8, 2020 8:13 AM

WHEN WILL THE DUST BUNNIES STOP SCREAMING?

by Anonymousreply 123April 8, 2020 6:50 PM

Rich Gays, If you can afford it, why not pay? I do. My cleaning woman would otherwise starve. She’s illegal, so I guess she can’t get unemployment or that cash bonus, right? I’m guessing she will do a super job cleaning when she returns to work, too. I already know she’s praying for me, so there’s that.

Before I hired my gal’s mom, 20 years ago, I asked my own mother what she knew about how to hire a cleaning person. My Mom, who had help for decades, said, “All I know is they do less and less each time they come”. Lol, she’s right! Not my cleaner’s Mom, she was great, but my current cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 124April 8, 2020 8:45 PM

How many people clean before the cleaning woman comes? I do. The toilet, mostly, I also had my cleaner for 15 years before I asked her to make the bed, and that’s not every time, too. I want her scrubbing, instead! I don’t ask her to do laundry. She doesn’t like to touch any electronics.

by Anonymousreply 125April 8, 2020 8:52 PM

My houseboy is wearing me out. Such a very large sex drive.

by Anonymousreply 126April 8, 2020 8:54 PM

WTF do you do to your house that she needs to scrub it R125?

And why would you clean up for her--that's what you are paying her for.

My place is relatively clean, mostly because I'm not there all that much, but doing the laundry, folding it and putting it away along with changing sheets and towels is the key benefit of outsourcing all this.

She also goes through my refrigerator, throws out stuff that's expired and rearranges everything. That's a value-add right there too.

by Anonymousreply 127April 8, 2020 9:03 PM

I would only pay my cleaning lady if she was an independent contractor. If they work for a cleaning company, then the company is responsible for taking care of them. Even if she's independent, she should be getting unemployment insurance.

Why do gays always feel obligated to overpay and overtip everybody?

by Anonymousreply 128April 8, 2020 9:18 PM

Pierre, why can't you have your "gal" do your grocery shopping, given your current lack of the barest essentials?

by Anonymousreply 129April 8, 2020 9:23 PM

I have noticed, from staying in the houses of people who have "help", that there are many such cleaners who simply can't tell if something is clean or not, they have no talent for cleaning anything. I also note that when someone does manage to find the rare cleaning service that does good work, the employer desperately kisses the employee's ass, to keep them from leaving. It's kind of funny.

by Anonymousreply 130April 8, 2020 9:28 PM

R125 I too will touch up the toilet before my gal shows up. I also do not leave any dishes for her to do. There are no "daily" tasks that I can do myself for her to do. I want her to do the other things. My biggest pet peeve is the top of the picture frames. If she forgets to get the top of picture frames I just feel like the place isn't clean. Fortunately, she never has. My mother taught me that was how you found a good cleaning lady was if she dusted the top of the picture frames. I told my gal the first time she came to be sure to get them and I've never mentioned it again. I feel so blessed. When I moved from a 350 sqft studio to a 600 sqft studio my cleaning lady quit and I had to find a new one. I thought I would die. I literally thought I would lose it. The reason she quit on me was because I had moved into a building on the UES where they wanted the cleaning ladies to only ride the service elevators and she did not like this policy. I had bought into a condo and the building was more upscale and there was nothing I could do. I begged her to stay. Lucky for me I was able to find someone from a neighbor in the building. It worked out better because my current gal is much better. It's not that I'm rich or anything, I just have things that are important to me.

by Anonymousreply 131April 8, 2020 10:16 PM

[quote]It's not that I'm rich or anything, I just have things that are important to me.

Like calling someone your "gal."

by Anonymousreply 132April 8, 2020 10:18 PM

R127, YMF, I clean my toilet because my housekeeper is a person, not a shitcleaner. It just takes a minute for me and is easy. I did once show her how the seat detaches easily for cleaning, though, not that she detaches it when she cleans.

I’ve been home while she cleans, and she’s no slacker. I’m happy with her. In particular, I am happy that she is trustworthy. That is so important.

R132, I use the term “gal” as humor. Lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 133April 8, 2020 10:23 PM

R131 here, whats really funny is that is that the current "gal" I have I've only seen her twice in 10 years and one time was by accident.

by Anonymousreply 134April 8, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote] R129: Pierre, why can't you have your "gal" do your grocery shopping, given your current lack of the barest essentials?

Haha, no, that’s not her field. I just don’t use those food items, and they’d just take up space. I just threw out a bunch of condiments that I had forever, not long ago.

I’ve asked her to clean the fridge, but I noticed recently that she doesn’t do that. It’s annoying, but at other times, it’s a little funny, so I clean my fridge myself. I’m tidy, so it isn’t a lot of work.

I like the smell of pine sole, everywhere, when she finishes.

by Anonymousreply 135April 8, 2020 10:34 PM

R134, my gal comes three days a week and I usually only see her on the day I give her a Christmas bonus. It’s like having an invisible mom to keep my house in running order.

I’m trying to keep it together but damn I can make a mess really quickly.

by Anonymousreply 136April 8, 2020 11:59 PM

So WTF do you do to your toilet Pierre?

I have never had shit that needed to be cleaned on my toilet.

Piss yes, but shit, no.

[quote] my housekeeper is a person, not a shitcleaner

And that is her job, she's not your slave, you're paying her. Who TF do you think cleans all those public restrooms? Robots?

by Anonymousreply 137April 9, 2020 2:09 AM

YMF, don’t be so literal. Or insufferable. Please. I’m asking nicely.

by Anonymousreply 138April 9, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote]I have never had shit that needed to be cleaned on my toilet.

What we've learned here is that YMF urinates with the seat down, has never seen the underside of it, and has somehow managed to never look in the bowl post-BM. Also, he's never been responsible for cleaning anything if he doesn't understand why scrubbing is frequently necessary. (YMF has NEVER left soap scum on surfaces in his shower!! YMF's toilet GLOWS in appreciation of the exposure to his ass.)

by Anonymousreply 139April 9, 2020 3:24 AM

My maid is an illegal alien.

by Anonymousreply 140April 9, 2020 7:17 AM

I want one.

by Anonymousreply 141April 9, 2020 7:25 AM

I've asked our girl Dolores to look in an touch up the house while we're in the country; dusting, keeping the mice company.

Twelve dollars a week was the agreed sum; which in my opinion is more than enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 9, 2020 10:10 AM

I’m pretty sure I remember that eclipse. We had one about 1970 in New England and they made a big deal about it.

by Anonymousreply 143April 9, 2020 1:38 PM

Did you give a fabulous drinks party?

by Anonymousreply 144April 9, 2020 2:13 PM

No, R144. I just googled it.. The book/movie is set in May, 1975, if King is setting his work on a real eclipse. I was 14. I think I remember it. We were all excited about it. Wow, those were simpler times!

by Anonymousreply 145April 9, 2020 2:59 PM

[quote]R109 has stated his boundaries

I merely posted laughing emoticons.

by Anonymousreply 146April 9, 2020 6:12 PM

I’d love to hire a fastidiously gorgeous man, clean my house, in the nude.

by Anonymousreply 147April 9, 2020 7:42 PM

I have a cleaning lady who comes in every two weeks, but I still do a lot of cleaning myself because I have OCD at the Joan Crawford level and everything has to be perfect and spotless at all times. She jokingly tells me "you never give me any work to do!" I'm apparently the cleanest of all her clients. I've told her to stay home, and I've still been paying her.

I love the stories of cleaning ladies who come in two or three times a week and the freak-outs about not knowing what to do now that your cleaning ladies aren't coming in. Jesus Christ, you all must be filthy pigs.

by Anonymousreply 148April 9, 2020 10:40 PM

I stoped my cleaning woman from coming in, since she could be a carrier, especially from visiting a lot of other homes to clean. I wrote earlier that I’m still paying her.

by Anonymousreply 149April 9, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]My place is relatively clean, mostly because I'm not there all that much, but doing the laundry, folding it and putting it away along with changing sheets and towels is the key benefit of outsourcing all this.

I don't mean to be rude but you sound Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 150April 10, 2020 7:42 PM

Same as R1. Presently holed up with my partner, at his place, yet continue paying my housecleaner. I only had her come once every two weeks usually, as I'm much more self-sufficient than OP... (no judgements) I also have a VERY small place.

I think the least contact with others is the best policy. Sadly, this isn't possible for everyone; I understand. Recently I told my mum not to allow a technician in for her WiFi. She said the rep on the phone had mentioned the tech would let them know how he was feeling, as they were not sending out sick individuals. I told her that protocol was rubbish, as anyone can be an asymptomatic carrier. I recently tried to urge my beau not to go visit with his brother. He did anyhow, to help him work on his car. Completely unwarranted under the circumstances IMHO.

OP, look on this time as an excellent oppurtunity to become more self-sufficient, and learn the art of doing one's own laundry. If you cannot, simply purchase new clothes online, and you'll be stimulating the economy at the same time!

by Anonymousreply 151April 11, 2020 1:43 AM

R150 Not to sound rude, but you sound like a massive cunt reinforcing old stereotypes about Jews.

by Anonymousreply 152April 11, 2020 1:48 AM

I Do love Pierre. 💝 Brilliant admonishing of YMF, BTW!

by Anonymousreply 153April 11, 2020 2:01 AM

my cleaning lady has been with me for 15 years - I sent her the money and told her to stay home. She was very thankful, I hope she will be OK

by Anonymousreply 154April 11, 2020 2:04 AM

I normally don't mind YMF, but his comments on this thread make me want to bitchslap him. Leaving a mess because the cleaning lady is coming soon, and leaving a filthy toilet for her to clean. That's just trashy. You don't treat people like that. A cleaning lady is a person, you should treat her like one.

I also am fond of Pierre, he seems like a very good soul.

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2020 2:36 AM

It's heartwarming to know that people with means are taking care of service workers in a time like this. You are keeping them alive.

by Anonymousreply 156April 11, 2020 4:36 AM

My cleaning lady is working from home now, she calls me and tells me what I need to do.

by Anonymousreply 157April 19, 2020 8:25 AM

No, I clean my own house.

by Anonymousreply 158April 19, 2020 8:37 AM

Is anyone eating their cleaning lady out?

by Anonymousreply 159April 21, 2020 2:31 PM

A middle ground I'm ok with...since I give my gal 85 bucks when she comes by every other week, I sent her 50 bucks to NOT come by. Seems fair to me and I can keep that up a while. And regarding the other thing, yes, I clean up everything from the litter box to the kitchen sink to the countertops and do my laundry before she arrives. As others said i want her focusing on the stuff I'm negligent about like dusting, vacuuming, bathroom scrubbing and such.

by Anonymousreply 160April 21, 2020 2:58 PM

Why would you want someone who is potentially an asymptomatic carrier in your home, touching everything?

by Anonymousreply 161April 21, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]If she forgets to get the top of picture frames I just feel like the place isn't clean.

I've noticed a lot of threads on Datalounge over the last few years have had multiple posters who seem like they can't do anything for themselves. They don't know how to do an internet search, they don't know how to look up a recipe, they have really strange notions of scientific or medical topics ("fat people need to just stop eating all food for months" or "there's no gravity in space"), they're either scared of smartphones or they think there's no such things as malware and viruses, they think it's "illegal to post lies on a news website," all sorts of stuff like that.

Used to think they were trolls but not after reading this thread, which has been particularly illuminating. Some of you are just plain old run of the mill, dullard bourgeoisie. Fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 162April 21, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote]Is anyone eating their cleaning lady out?

Don't even get me started.

by Anonymousreply 163April 21, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] I sent her 50 bucks to NOT come by. Seems fair to me and I can keep that up a while.

I'll not come by for only $40. That's even fairer.

by Anonymousreply 164April 21, 2020 10:30 PM

My Gal just sent me a text thanking me “in this difficult time” and saying she’d pray for me. My place is getting dirty, so I hope this doesn’t last too much longer.

by Anonymousreply 165April 23, 2020 2:12 AM

Have her pray the dirt away, r165.

by Anonymousreply 166April 23, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]My place is getting dirty, so I hope this doesn’t last too much longer.

So fucking clean it yourself you entitled white cunt. It's not like you don't have the time right now.

by Anonymousreply 167April 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Aww, I like that she prays for me.

In St. Teresa of Ávila‘s autobiography, she writes about her sadness that “some people have no one to pray for them.” Isn’t that a sad idea? (If you’re not religious, just think of it as “some people have no one.” Attached is my favorite sculpture, the [italic] “Ecstasy of St. Teresa”, [/italic] by Bernini. It is his interpretation of an experience she relates in her book:

[quote] I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the iron's point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it. The soul is satisfied now with nothing less than God. The pain is not bodily, but spiritual; though the body has its share in it. It is a caressing of love so sweet which now takes place between the soul and God, that I pray God of His goodness to make him experience it who may think that I am lying.

She was the first woman stigmatic, which is usually quite painful, as it was for her. At the time, the church leaders couldn’t decide whether to burn her as a heretic, or allow her to form a religious order. She founded two. She survived for years (IIRC), eating only the Eucharist. She also teleported to mass, when she was too sick to attend. That’s why the Vatican made her the patron saint of television. She is one of the few female “Doctors of the Church”. You get an indulgence for reading her book, and I can tell you, it’s so dry a read, that you really deserve it, if you finished it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 23, 2020 3:20 AM

Some of you are so fucking helpless. What's the big deal about wiping down counters and running a mop over the floor? Christ, you're like 18th century French aristocrats to hear some of you cunts go on and on.

by Anonymousreply 169April 23, 2020 3:45 AM

Pierre R165, you seem like a good person and are one whose comments I generally find informative and unoffending; however, your defiance in continuing to use the term "gal" is anything but amusing.

I used to spend summers down south with my Black grandparents as a young child during the early 60s and still recoil at the memory of my beloved Nana and Papa being referred to as "gal" and "boy." Nana (and the majority of Negro/colored ladies of her generation) lived her entire life never hearing a White person, had they been adult or child, use the words "Miss" or " Mrs" when addressing her. Hence my objection way upthread, and again now, to "gal."

Peace.

by Anonymousreply 170April 27, 2020 6:11 PM

That's your issue r170. For most people, "gal" doesn't have those connotations. I believe Pierre is from CT, as am I, and I have never in my life heard of "gal" being used as a derogatory name for a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 171April 27, 2020 6:14 PM

I will be leaving a check for my gal (and her worthless henchmen) in the door, 2 days from now. As I am working harder than ever, from home, it's the least I can do. Since she stopped coming 6 weeks ago, the place has NEVER seemed cleaner, too. What is her secret?

by Anonymousreply 172April 27, 2020 6:17 PM

Team 170.

by Anonymousreply 173April 27, 2020 6:20 PM

"...and I have never in my life heard of "gal" being used as a derogatory name for a black woman."

Well now you have, R171. Go through life as either the problem or the solution, so long as they are your issues only.

by Anonymousreply 174April 27, 2020 6:20 PM

I was unaware of the racial connotations of the word "gal." I mocked those who used it above because it is such a worn out, 1940s bit of terminology. I could not fathom a DLer's having used it, as in my world, it would exit no one's lips whose native language is not Douche.

by Anonymousreply 175April 27, 2020 6:43 PM

Thanks, r174. If I ever invent a time machine and travel back to the South in the 60s I'll remember not to use the word gal. In NYC Metro in 2020 I don't think anyone could really give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 176April 27, 2020 6:52 PM

I have my cleaning ladies come once a week. They are so thankful I haven't canceled them. They said a lot of people did, which they understood as some are now on unemployment or took pay cuts. I took a pay cut but always live way below my means (my car is 15 years old--love no car payment).

I'm also from New England like Pierre and never, ever heard gal as a racially derogatory term. Sounds like it was a Southern thing, which is almost a foreign land to those of us from New England/Northeast. Good to know, though. But I don't think I ever say gal so I should be good.

by Anonymousreply 177April 27, 2020 6:56 PM

[quote]Some of you are so fucking helpless. What's the big deal about wiping down counters and running a mop over the floor?

If that's your idea of a clean home then I suppose its not a problem for you.

by Anonymousreply 178April 27, 2020 7:55 PM

r178 there's a bit more involved in having a clean home, but these posters are acting like they can't do shit by themselves.

by Anonymousreply 179April 27, 2020 8:06 PM

Whoever said "The more often they come, the less they do" was dead right.

-R172

by Anonymousreply 180April 27, 2020 8:22 PM

I hate cleaning my house. I'm an attorney and work long hours. When I get a chance to relax, the last thing I want to do is a full house clean, and I have pets who shed. It's a service that is offered and I willingly pay the fee and can afford it. Everyone has things they'll pay for and won't. I happily pay to have someone thoroughly clean my home once per week.

by Anonymousreply 181April 27, 2020 10:30 PM

Troll? I am not a troll!

by Anonymousreply 182April 27, 2020 10:36 PM

I love my gal.

by Anonymousreply 183April 27, 2020 10:41 PM

Bumping thread up to ask now two months later what people are doing about their cleaners.

Still paying your gal to stay at home, or has she started coming in again?

Ours started getting UI and PUA so no longer needed payments from clients even though she wasn't showing up.

Lock down will be largely ending in NYC on Monday, but many buildings aren't letting anyone else other than residents in so the help still are locked out. Then fact is many households are still out of town and likely not returning until fall, if even then.

PUA ends 31 July, so have a feeling many independent contractors or self-employed are going to be in a tight spot if they cannot drum up business.

by Anonymousreply 184June 18, 2020 3:44 AM

L’OP a reçu les lettres scarlett

by Anonymousreply 185June 18, 2020 3:48 AM

Oh and Cuomo just signed rent relief bill that frees up $100 million in federal aid for people to cover back rent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186June 18, 2020 3:52 AM

Sorry, wrong thread R186

by Anonymousreply 187June 18, 2020 3:54 AM

Ours split the scene after the "stimulus" money showed up. We only had her for about two months, but, not being evil, we still paid her until other income kicked in. Hopefully, she's getting more money right now and not having to bust her hump for it. Mr. YSMGH thinks she went back home to Puerta Vallarta (jealous as fuck if so) to wait it out. Upshot, it isn't pretty around here, and I'm not talking about our age. We are developing a show based on "Hoarders" called "Grubbers", and we are first in fucking line to be showcased. (Grubcased, I guess).

by Anonymousreply 188June 18, 2020 4:00 AM

I was thinking about finding one - will be moving in a few months and don't need every inch of the apartment cleaned, just deep cleaning in bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 189June 18, 2020 4:02 AM

I’ve still got my cleaning woman on hiatus. I’m still paying her as she is undocumented and I don’t want her to starve. She, and her mother before, have worked for me from 20 years, and it’s an extraordinary time. She’s called twice to ask to resume working, to her credit, but I still want to wait and see what this surge in the Southwest is about.

While I hadn’t done much cleaning at all since January, I spend about 4 weeks recently cleaning the place, including the deep cleaning that I haven’t done in 15 years. I gave $1500 in stuff to goodwill and got ten bags of garbage, and am done for the Summer, mostly! Hurray!

I am going to my Rolfer tomorrow which is pretty risky, but I need the work done. I’m driving there, though, whereas I would normally take public transportation.

And yes, I’m in Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 190June 18, 2020 4:05 AM

It really is a tale of two cities when it comes to domestics, nannies, home health care takers, landscape and other home service workers.

Those who are here legally got stimulus money and (if they paid taxes) could qualify for UI and PUA. Illegals who make up a huge portion of domestic workers OTOH are really in a bad way it seems.

Think many at first didn't mind paying for one or two months of no work, but there are limits to everyone's generosity. How long are people willing to pay what amounts to a retainer fee with no promise that at end of things their gal or whoever will come back.

by Anonymousreply 191June 18, 2020 4:15 AM

R189

Some of you crack me up with that "deep clean bathrooms". Just how large are these bathrooms anyway, and what are you doing in there that they require extraordinary efforts to clean?

Grab a can of scrubbing bubbles, sponge, bucket of hot water, some gloves, cleaner of choice, and a mop.

by Anonymousreply 192June 18, 2020 4:23 AM

r192 Your list of what is involved, regardless of the size of the room, drove home very well why the "non cleaners" among us shudder at the thought.

by Anonymousreply 193June 18, 2020 4:33 AM

R192 That sort of labor is for The Poors.

by Anonymousreply 194June 18, 2020 4:40 AM

Left to clean on their own, your gals smoke fags all through the house, and spit in your condiments.

Take deep breaths and gag.

by Anonymousreply 195June 18, 2020 5:12 AM

I know, R192, it sounds silly. What I mean by “deep cleaning”, is that I emptied all my closets for the first time in 15 years, cleaned the dust out, threw out a quarter of the junk in them, repainted some of the shelves, and restocked the closets. I also washed all my sweaters and sweatshirts that were on the shelves in my closet, and boy did they need it, just from accumulated dust. Then I went through all my clothes and gave a lot away. Then I cleaned inside most of the cabinets, and under the bed. I bought a lot of things to replace things that I was “making do” with. So, it’s really much more than cleaning. It is satisfying that my closets aren’t overflowing anymore, and everything is clean and tidy.

My cleaning woman doesn’t do any of the above, so I had catch-up on her work, and then these projects. It’s really been 15 years since I did this last, so it needed it.

I started because I developed a dry cough 😷. My COVID tests were negative, and I wondered if maybe it was a dust allergy, so, the dust had to go!

by Anonymousreply 196June 18, 2020 1:47 PM

Good job Pierre. I downsized into a smaller apartment a few years ago, and am dealing with the overflow. I have a bins of collectibles, slowly selling what I can, so I am getting closer to my dream of an organized domicile.

by Anonymousreply 197June 18, 2020 1:59 PM

I paid mine from the middle of March through the third week in May and asked them (husband and wife) not to come through that time. They thought I was being ridiculously over-cautious, lol. They have been with me for 20+ years. Anyhow, they returned last week of May and have been in weekly ever since. I leave the house for the day while they clean. They deserve my loyalty.

by Anonymousreply 198June 19, 2020 12:09 AM

Is anyone having theirs come back yet?

by Anonymousreply 199June 19, 2020 7:22 PM

We have paid our every other week cleaning lady and her sister for 3 months now. She is eager to come back and wants us to schedule. We will probably start back next time (about July 1) but won't be home when they are here. I am less afraid of stray surface virus, I just don't want to be in the same room with them. (I have almost stopped treating the mail gingerly, not quite.)

by Anonymousreply 200June 20, 2020 3:46 AM

Ours has been back for a month now and we are so grateful we prop her up on the dining room table and eat her hot juicy cunt.

by Anonymousreply 201June 23, 2020 2:55 AM

Despite city reaching phase II and soon III, many buildings in NYC, especially Manhattan still have restrictions in place.

Cleaners, nannies, workmen (non-emergency or essential), dog walkers, etc... are all barred from entry or get the fifth degree.

Wonder what will happen when PUA ends 31 July and these self-employed stop getting that $600, or maybe UI totally. NYC isn't a cheap place to live, and those funds were what kept many from desperate times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 1, 2020 3:07 AM

No cleaning lady, but, as I entered into a contract in mid-February to have my kitchen/powder bathroom remodeled (yeah, great timing), I’m in the midst of a long-term renovation project. At my insistence, my builder agreed to impose all sorts of safety measures on the crew. Not a single one has been implemented. However, I feel relatively protected by virtue of the fact that, as I learned that the virus can remain in the interior air for up to 2 hours, I have insisted that work be done each day by 3:00 & I don’t leave my upstairs bedroom until 2 hours have elapsed.

by Anonymousreply 203July 1, 2020 3:22 AM

The Boston building inspection Dept, has implemented some COVID-19 construction requirements to mitigate risk to the workers, R203. I don’t have personal experience with it, but I know it is implemented, fyi, I guess,

by Anonymousreply 204July 1, 2020 3:59 PM

Just bumping this thread up to check in; four months on now, who is still paying their cleaner not to show up or otherwise keeping them on household budget.

by Anonymousreply 205August 5, 2020 1:37 AM

Ours has been coming back since the beginning of July. We never stopped paying her.

by Anonymousreply 206August 5, 2020 2:12 AM

I am still paying, as recently as a few minutes ago, and she hasn’t been here since late January, IIRC.

It’s a lot of work to do her routine cleaning; my own regular cleaning; and routine repairs. I have to. Fix both the fridge door and dishwasher which are both colluding against me at the moment. Oh, and a strong wind gust really damaged a bunch of things earlier today.

by Anonymousreply 207August 5, 2020 4:17 AM

Mine is back thank God.

by Anonymousreply 208October 30, 2020 3:59 PM

Yes, I have used my cleaning lady during the pandemic. Since I am now working from home, I meet them when they arrive and then leave during the time needed to clean the house. The family has provided this service to me for years. They were immigrants who I encouraged and helped to obtain a high school diploma. The father went on to community college and now has a good job while the mother attended English classes. The mother continues to clean.

During breaks, the son and daughter accompany mom to assist in cleaning. We talk about their education and I provide career advice as requested. Each year I have provided some extra cash for the son and daughter to purchase school supplies or clothes. The son wishes to become a physician, and I have provided advice on his high school classes to prepare for college.

So they are like family, I trust them and would not abandon them during this time of crisis.

by Anonymousreply 209October 30, 2020 5:09 PM

Datalounge elitism at its best.

by Anonymousreply 210December 30, 2020 9:00 PM

Don’t you people have maid’s quarters in your houses? What kinds of hovels do you live in? And what if one of your toilets needs to be cleaned in the middle of the night?

by Anonymousreply 211December 30, 2020 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!